Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : August 25th 2016

Comments

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I'm flying to Australia on Saturday morning (and back on Wednesday). I need video game, book, and movie recommendations for the flight.

There are a couple of books about ancient Rome, plus Stephen King's The Green Mile on my list. But I need suggestions, guys.

Mulholland drive ;-)

The Prestige is a very under rated movie imo. It seemed to pass a lot of people by.
    The Prestige - one of Chris Nolan's best. There's also Memento and Inception, though you'll probably need to watch those more than once.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I'm flying to Australia on Saturday morning (and back on Wednesday). I need video game, book, and movie recommendations for the flight.

There are a couple of books about ancient Rome, plus Stephen King's The Green Mile on my list. But I need suggestions, guys.

Films: Deadpool, Zootopia, Mad Max (Sorry, I'm relentlessly low-brow on film). Books, apart from Stiglitz, I'm mostly re-reading classics from my bookshelf - Flashman and the Great Game, Accelerando, Red Storm Rising, Reamde.
    Deadpool is awesome, I've watched it twice already. I've also been forced to watch Zootopia with the children.

Mad Max: an excellent idea.

And I love all the early Tom Clancy's and have read them all.

Question: what was the last decent Clancy? Executive Orders?
    Yes, but he was already going downhill at that point. In his pomp he was unmatched.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

tlg86 said:

West Ham's performance tonight was sub optimal for our coefficient.

Inevitable consequence of Brexit
    As was the Team GB performance at Rio? ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2016

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

The Prestige is a very under rated movie imo. It seemed to pass a lot of people by.
    The Prestige - one of Chris Nolan's best. There's also Memento and Inception, though you'll probably need to watch those more than once.
    Given the cast & it was a Nolan it totally tanked at the cinema & hardly ever gets mentioned...when imo one of his best.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Trump defends 'bigot' label for Clinton
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/25/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bigot/index.html

Trump says Clinton would send black communities down the tubes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,944
    rcs1000 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bear_and_the_Dragon . 9/11 rendered the Clancyverse obsolete.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Films: Deadpool, Zootopia, Mad Max (Sorry, I'm relentlessly low-brow on film). Books, apart from Stiglitz, I'm mostly re-reading classics from my bookshelf - Flashman and the Great Game, Accelerando, Red Storm Rising, Reamde.
    Deadpool is awesome, I've watched it twice already. I've also been forced to watch Zootopia with the children.

The Hunt for Red October :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_(2009_film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deal_(2003_film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Special_Relationship_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(miniseries)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington:_Behind_Closed_Doors
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,125

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Given the cast & it was a Nolan it totally tanked at the cinema & hardly ever gets mentioned...when imo one of his best.
    The Prestige did not tank, it had a budget of $40 million and made $109 million and has a 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_(film)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Wouldn't say it tanked:

Budget $40 mill.

Box office $110 mill.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I fear that is not far from the truth...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,617
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not a movie recommendation, but Stranger Things is excellent if you can be bothered to download it. Definitely worse ways to spend 8 hours. I'm not sure how good the GPU in your laptop is and whether you'll have a mouse or you pack an Xbox controller but The Witcher 3 is an excellent way to lose track of time and not realise you've spent 12 hours gaming. As for books, I've heard about an up and coming writer, S K Tremayne, not sure if you know about her!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

The Prestige did not tank, it had a budget of $40 million and made $109 million and has a 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
    I stand corrected, it did a lot better than I thought. I will rephrase, it certainly didn't / doesn't get that much coverage, compared to some of other Nolan's work, when IMO it is one of his best.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,390
    edited August 2016
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I fear that is not far from the truth...
    And right on cue: :lol:

"Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our motherland's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party. For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations! Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Progressiveness. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Labour Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship!

"A great day, Comrades! We sail into history!"
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not a movie recommendation, but Stranger Things is excellent if you can be bothered to download it. Definitely worse ways to spend 8 hours. I'm not sure how good the GPU in your laptop is and whether you'll have a mouse or you pack an Xbox controller but The Witcher 3 is an excellent way to lose track of time and not realise you've spent 12 hours gaming. As for books, I've heard about an up and coming writer, S K Tremayne, not sure if you know about her!
    Do you not need any internet access for Witcher 3 at any point, because it is a fantastic game. Apparently, they are making a spin off game of Gwent.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    Did David Sainsbury really give the Lib Dems £2m? I may have to move from Waitrose!!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,617
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Do you not need any internet access for Witcher 3 at any point, because it is a fantastic game. Apparently, they are making a spin off game of Gwent.
    Nope, completely DRM free if you buy thorough CD Prokekt's website, GOG.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Icarus said:

Did David Sainsbury really give the Lib Dems £2m? I may have to move from Waitrose!!

Didn't he say it was to help them fight for Remain? Should be fine.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

They own GOG? I had no idea, neat.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I remember it being DRM free, but I couldn't remember if it ever needed internet connection for anything. So many apps these days do go "phoning home" for this or that and you only notice when your net goes down.

I notice that the Denuvo system apparently has been defeated. A lot of games companies have been paying a lot for that system.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

I stand corrected, it did a lot better than I thought. I will rephrase, it certainly didn't / doesn't get that much coverage, compared to some of other Nolan's work, when IMO it is one of his best.
    Yes, it is excellent with lots of twists and turns, has been on a few times recently on C4
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Yes, it is excellent with lots of twists and turns, has been on a few times recently on C4
    No spoilers....people appearing to be gearing up to watch it :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    All these recommendations are making an August friday on my own in the shop look terribly short of free time for, you know, work.

That said - moving out of the home office back into a proper premises has proved highly productive. After some initial process improvements the amount I can delegate has increased dramatically. Barring the buying related travelling, I may actually have time to explore part time politics or another proper business opportunity...

Or I could post on here more...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

"Are you watching closely?" :)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Old Folks' Homes in a few decades time are going to be hives of (individual) activity, rather than a dozen chairs stuck in front of a TV.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Old Folks' Homes in a few decades time are going to be hives of (individual) activity, rather than a dozen chairs stuck in front of a TV.
    Old Folks' Home? I shall be too busy terrifying the young in my bionic exoskeleton.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Mortimer said:

All these recommendations are making an August friday on my own in the shop look terribly short of free time for, you know, work.

That said - moving out of the home office back into a proper premises has proved highly productive. After some initial process improvements the amount I can delegate has increased dramatically. Barring the buying related travelling, I may actually have time to explore part time politics or another proper business opportunity...

I believe you own a book shop? If so, The Ninth Gate may be worth a watch. Watching it started my interest in illuminated manuscripts.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

On such trips I like to read something with local flavour.

For those wanting a book of politics and history concerning Australia could I recommend this little work on Sydney, and the underside of the Emrald City.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/591321.Leviathan

The film Emerald City is quite good too:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101808/

As is The Castle:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/

And The Club:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0080546/

Sven Lindquists book on the genocide of the Aboriginals:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1371838483

Or for something lighter on Australian Colonial history:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/110090.True_History_of_the_Kelly_Gang

The Fatal Shore is a fascinating study on Australian penal settlements, but you have probably come across it before:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ATPQ8E/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

• Options
    MP_SE said:

Mortimer said:

I believe you own a book shop? If so, The Ninth Gate may be worth a watch. Watching it started my interest in illuminated manuscripts.
    Very good film, and novel too.

Not often you find a manuscript collector on a politics forum - well done sir!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Will leave it there then, though the only hint I will give is you need to pay attention
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone crime movie
    Chinatown - Neo noir mystery movie
    LA Confidential - Neo noir crime movie
    All excellent suggestions, albeit things I've seen before :)

(Which tells you our tastes are similar.)
    Ahh, shame.

I tend to watch movies by genre and recently went through a neo noir phase.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Will leave it there then, though the only hint I will give is you need to pay attention
    Like watching any magic trick :-)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Trump defends 'bigot' label for Clinton
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/25/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bigot/index.html

Trump says Clinton would send black communities down the tubes.

As long as they vote for the Democrats then who cares?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbreakable_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negotiator
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bedford_Incident
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail_Safe_(2000_film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hill_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anderson_Tapes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conversation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Parallax_View
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_to_War

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

The best ever Clancy was Red Storm Rising, after that once he started getting into the Ryan saga they went downhill rapidly. Debt of Honour is probably the only one of that series that is a well told story - the rest are too formulaic.

If you want a jolly good read, ideal for an aeroplane as you can put it down and pick it up easily without losing the thread. Then I would suggest, "The Complete McAuslan" by George McDonald Fraser (the Flasham bloke). My edition is 589 pages long so it should last you the Journey to OZ. The book is a series of short stories which describe the life of a young officer in a Highland regiment just after WW2. Though written as fiction it is in turn a great social commentary of life in the UK in the late forties, a fair military history, and an absolute laugh out loud comedy. Well worth a read.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

For those wanting a book of politics and history concerning Australia could I recommend this little work on Sydney, and the underside of the Emrald City.

As is The Castle:

And The Club:

The Fatal Shore is a fascinating study on Australian penal settlements, but you have probably come across it before:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ATPQ8E/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Or go retro and read Shute's 'On the Beach' or 'A Town like Alice'.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

...The Ninth Gate may be worth a watch...

I don't like that bit where Frank Langella pours [redacted] over himself
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2016
    Labour has won the by-election in Fife.

1st count
    Lab 1318
    SNP 1079
    Con 270
    Communists 86
    Greens 45

Lab elected at stage 4
  • Options
    https://www.rt.com/news/357213-merkel-cortege-attack-arrested/

Probably NOT ISIS from my reading of it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Well if you are flying into Australia and want something with local flavour how about Brill Bryson's "Down Under". Probably the second funniest book he has ever written and more full of Australian flavour then you could ever want.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Total donations in Q2 2016 to Party were

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

In addition the Lib Dems received a loan from RBS of £ 500,000 but repaid a loan to RBS of £ 750,000
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

In addition the Lib Dems received a loan from RBS of £ 500,000 but repaid a loan to RBS of £ 750,000

Is this figure excluding short money?
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

As is The Castle:

And The Club:

Both very good. A Town called Alice especially.

Another good read is Russell Bradon's Naked Island, also on Australian POWs in WW2.

Breaker Morant is another very good film, and of interest not just as a part of the Australian Film revival but also as a study on counter insurgency warfare and its moral ambiguities.

I don't get to read a lot, but am not one for light reads when I do!

• Options
    RobD said:

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

Is this figure excluding short money?
    Yes Short money is neither a donation or a loan
  • Options
    The Lochs (Fife) first preferences:
    LAB: 47.1% (+0.7)
    SNP: 38.6% (+19.6)
    CON: 9.6% (+7.0)
    COM: 3.1% (-24.4)
    GRN: 1.6% (+1.6)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,390
    edited August 2016
    'Allo 'Allo on Yesterday Channel right now :)

EDIT - oh no, just finished!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Well if you are flying into Australia and want something with local flavour how about Brill Bryson's "Down Under". Probably the second funniest book he has ever written and more full of Australian flavour then you could ever want.
    Not dark enough for me.

• Options
    The Lochs result Labour gain from Ind

Lab 1318 SNP 1079 Con 270 Comm 86 Green 45
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Like watching any magic trick :-)
    The original Christopher Priest book is outstanding, bettered only by The Affirmation, a book so good that to categorise it is to exclude possibilities in the book.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

The Lochs (Fife) first preferences:
    LAB: 47.1% (+0.7)
    SNP: 38.6% (+19.6)
    CON: 9.6% (+7.0)
    COM: 3.1% (-24.4)
    GRN: 1.6% (+1.6)

I guess the lochs will be forever Labour.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

You don't get much chance to read but when you do you like to read books that make you feel bad? Sheesh, Doc, that is from where I sit a damn odd attitude.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    John_M said:

Second for A Town Like Alice
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
  • Options

Breaker Morant is another very good film...

YESSS! Well done that man!

• Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

You don't get much chance to read but when you do you like to read books that make you feel bad? Sheesh, Doc, that is from where I sit a damn odd attitude.
    Time to dig out 'The Road' then.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

Really, even after Dudley Moore and Peter Cook ripped it apart in a sketch in the 1960s? Don't think I could pick it up now much less read it.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    viewcode said:
    Just rewatched Edge of Darkness - it stands up so well, and you can download from the BBC Store.

"It was the time of the preacher..."
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

I decided that as I can only read one proper book per month or so, I prefer one that makes me think, so that I can muse on its themes while doing mundane things.

I don't care much for light novels.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Games wise...I heard very good things about "Inside" and "Limbo". Both Indy developed and won't take your whole life to complete.

Edit:- Another one that is supposed good is Firewatch.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Worth noting that Labour's successful candidate in the Lochs is the party's most prominent publicly declared independence supporter Mary Lockhart.

In that light perhaps the reason she limitd the SNP increase to 20 per cent!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Late to the game here Robert, but:

Fiction:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Car-Glasses-Gun/dp/0452277779
    https://www.amazon.com/Imagining-Argentina-Lawrence-Thornton/dp/0553345796
    https://www.amazon.com/Brazzaville-Beach-Novel-William-Boyd/dp/0061956317
    https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Struck-Lightning-Fernando-Arrabal/dp/0140130217

Business-related:
    https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Surprising-Truth-About-Motivates/dp/1594484805/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    https://www.amazon.com/How-Risky-Really-Fears-Always/dp/0071629696

Films
    You've already seen twice the only recent film I've truly enjoyed - Deadpool

If you have international films available:
    The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out the window and disappeared
    The Lunchbox
  • Options

MTimT said:

John_M said:

Really, even after Dudley Moore and Peter Cook ripped it apart in a sketch in the 1960s? Don't think I could pick it up now much less read it.
    It is rather a book of its time, with lots of interesting insights into fifties attitudes.

The theme of craving a return to quiet backwaters mundanity after the horrors of war, to a town like Alice (not even Alice Springs, but a country cousin of Alice) did seem to resonate with the peoples of the time. Another decade or so on and it seemed worthy of mocking by metropolitan sophisticates.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

I decided that as I can only read one proper book per month or so, I prefer one that makes me think, so that I can muse on its themes while doing mundane things.

Fair enough, but if you only have one book a month (and I take it we are talking about non-work related texts) might it not be a better strategy to choose books that make you laugh or feel good and still provide food for thought?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

Fair enough, but if you only have one book a month (and I take it we are talking about non-work related texts) might it not be a better strategy to choose books that make you laugh or feel good and still provide food for thought?
    It is perhaps my inner Free Presbyterian taking control. I like things that are hard work.
  • Options
    Neighbouring the glorious sexual republic of Nudistan, the miserable upstarts of Kazakhstan have the Mankini:

http://www.menkind.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/o/borat-mankini-thong-081.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Still the debates to come
  • Options
    mwadams said:

viewcode said:
    Just rewatched Edge of Darkness - it stands up so well, and you can download from the BBC Store.

"It was the time of the preacher..."
    "...in the year of oh-one..."

Here's Jedburgh's scene with the two bars at the Nato Conference
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185

Ally_B said:

tlg86 said:

West Ham's performance tonight was sub optimal for our coefficient.

Inevitable consequence of Brexit
    As was the Team GB performance at Rio? ;)
    That's not an European competition. (Checking whether we ever 'owned' Rio, nope, doesn't look like it).
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

It is perhaps my inner Free Presbyterian taking control. I like things that are hard work.
    I know exactly what you mean. I hate myself for reading frivolous stuff. I know there is always worthier stuff out there. It's like eating a pot noodle, or eating a kebab (in my meat eating student days)

On a separate note, I cannot stand being personally forced to endure time with Brexit banal buffoons (defined as anyone that voted out). Tonight, I had to put up with a Brexit moron giving me the whys and wherefores of voting out without being able to tell them politely to fuck off.

Until someone comes up with a compelling reason why Brexit is a good idea (i.e never), I'm going to have to wait some years until it becomes so stating the bleeding obvious that voting Brexit was a terrible thing before they all fade away.
  • Options

MTimT said:

John_M said:

It is rather a book of its time, with lots of interesting insights into fifties attitudes.

The theme of craving a return to quiet backwaters mundanity after the horrors of war, to a town like Alice (not even Alice Springs, but a country cousin of Alice) did seem to resonate with the peoples of the time. Another decade or so on and it seemed worthy of mocking by metropolitan sophisticates.
    I loved the exchange, when she is in some sheep station waiting for her next flight on a tiny plane, which went something like this.
    "Where are you from in England?"
    "Southampton"
    "Is that near Birmingham? I have a cousin there."
    "About 150 miles."
    "Oh, in that case you'll know them!"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

These leadership elections may be tiresome but @£25/head courtesy of the NEC insurgents they're jolly profitable!
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot. Did anybody read S.K.Tremayne/SeanT's article in the Mail today?
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

Gosh, where are the Lib Dems getting their money from?
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

I know exactly what you mean. I hate myself for reading frivolous stuff. I know there is always worthier stuff out there. It's like eating a pot noodle, or eating a kebab (in my meat eating student days)

On a separate note, I cannot stand being personally forced to endure time with Brexit banal buffoons (defined as anyone that voted out). Tonight, I had to put up with a Brexit moron giving me the whys and wherefores of voting out without being able to tell them politely to fuck off.

Until someone comes up with a compelling reason why Brexit is a good idea (i.e never), I'm going to have to wait some years until it becomes so stating the bleeding obvious that voting Brexit was a terrible thing before they all fade away.
    I have stopped arguing with Brexiteers and their self conscious justifications. Methinks they do protest too much. It is done, though we are yet to see the real consequences.

I feel stripped of part of my European heritage, and a part of me is gone, and an optomistic part.

I am just battening down the hatches so I can look after my own interests, as clearly the majority of Britons do not care for mine.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    This is still a phoney war - we have three debates, a lot of advertising, twists and turns and then many people will decide when in the ballot box.

The sadist in me is looking forward (if it happens) to CNN having to declare Pennsylvania and Florida for Trump, and then spend the next 6 hours trying to carry on with their coverage.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @foxinuk

Like minds and all that. Get those hatches pinned down. The storm will pass. It might take some time, but it will pass.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    William_H said:

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

There was a story last week that they had been getting donations from a colorful ticket "reseller" chap.
  • Options

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Not dark enough for me.

It is I suppose.

On a separa

I have stopped arguing with Brexiteers and their self conscious justifications. Methinks they do protest too much. It is done, though we are yet to see the real consequences.

I feel stripped of part of my European heritage, and a part of me is gone, and an optomistic part.

I am just battening down the hatches so I can look after my own interests, as clearly the majority of Britons do not care for mine.
    LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    tyson said:

@foxinuk

Like minds and all that. Get those hatches pinned down. The storm will pass. It might take some time, but it will pass.

:):):)
  • Options
    tyson said:

@foxinuk

I can't complain myself. Since I earn in euros and spend in sterling, I've just had a 10% wage increase. I might even be able to afford to buy another house after the imminent fall in house prices. And since my son has joint British/German nationality, he'll have a head start in the European jobs market when pure Brits lose freedom of movement! It's an ill wind...
  • Options

EU ≠ Europe
  • Options
    William_H said:

Labour £ 8.261 million
    Con £ 4.370 million
    LDem £ 3.407 million
    UKIP £ 1.255 million
    SNP £ 0.482 million
    Greens £ 0.133 million
    Plaid £ 0.004 million

I imagine it was for the referendum due to BSE reaching their spending limit.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:
    This is still a phoney war - we have three debates, a lot of advertising, twists and turns and then many people will decide when in the ballot box.

The sadist in me is looking forward (if it happens) to CNN having to declare Pennsylvania and Florida for Trump, and then spend the next 6 hours trying to carry on with their coverage.
    I think Florida will go Trump, as I'm assuming a shy Trump factor but Pennsylvania looks pretty safe for Clinton.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    MP_SE said:

EU ≠ Europe
    The Brexiters who think the EU is a good idea but not for us are very small in number indeed.

The majority of the leading figures wanted to bring down the whole edifice. To the extent that they are bound to fail, the long-term result of the referendum will be to kill off Euroscepticism as a meaningful force in British politics.
  • Options
    What's amusing is that it seems most people protesting that the French shouldn't ban clothing and women should "wear what they want" seem to have nothing whatsoever to say about women in the Middle East in nations like Saudi or UAE who are dictated to about what they must wear. And can't drive etc too in Saudi.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

What's amusing is that it seems most people protesting that the French shouldn't ban clothing and women should "wear what they want" seem to have nothing whatsoever to say about women in the Middle East in nations like Saudi or UAE who are dictated to about what they must wear. And can't drive etc too in Saudi.
    People simply expect better of France.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

EU ≠ Europe
    The Brexiters who think the EU is a good idea but not for us are very small in number indeed.

The majority of the leading figures wanted to bring down the whole edifice. To the extent that they are bound to fail, the long-term result of the referendum will be to kill off Euroscepticism as a meaningful force in British politics.
    Euroscepticism will die as it'll be moot. We won't be in the EU so we will have nothing to be sceptic about.

US-scepticism is not that major an issue in Canada and there's certainly no hankering to join the union there. Even if the EU becomes a successful nation like the USA, it simply will do so without counting us as members anymore than a potential President Trump can rule over those in Montreal.
  • Options

Oh so we should out do their illiberalism.

Hypocrite.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Brilliant Matt cartoon.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Hypocrite.
    I never said that, I said it was amusing. Why so sensitive.

Even if we ban religious clothing in public places, like the French are heading down and I have not said I'm supporting, it will be as nothing compared to the illiberalism there. Any notion it is out doing it is bonkers.
  • Options
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Florida will go Trump, as I'm assuming a shy Trump factor but Pennsylvania looks pretty safe for Clinton.
    Florida has a very high latino population I expect to overwhelmingly break for Clinton. I don't think it will even be close in the end.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

so, you want to save women who are dictated to about what to weatr by dictating to them about what to wear?

Saudi is a f-ing disgrace on so many levels and yet we are strong allies, have nice matey times at the horse racing, sell them arms and turn a blind eye while they blast shit out of yemen, treat their own citizens abominaly, have no proper justice system etc etc

clothing is the least of it.

It seems the world has gone a bit lala. The burkini is swimwear. it's for beaches.

it doesn't cover the face. i doubt that the most oppressive muslim men are allowing their wives/daughters to go to beaches?

The niqab is a different matter. and you can make a coherent argument for banning it. I wouldn't agree but at least the argument for banning it would make sense
  • Options

Personally, I find the repressive and dictatorial policies of these countries with regard to what women may wear or do utterly odious. What I don't understand is why so many right-wingers here are seeking to emulate these countries by dictating what women may wear in this country. A bit hypocritical, no?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    William_H said:

People simply expect better of France.
    they have "liberty" in the mission statement, after all
  • Options

nunu said:

Hypocrite.
    I never said that, I said it was amusing. Why so sensitive.

Even if we ban religious clothing in public places, like the French are heading down and I have not said I'm supporting, it will be as nothing compared to the illiberalism there. Any notion it is out doing it is bonkers.
    Once you start down that road however.....

....we know where it ends......interesting things Sarkozy is saying today I'm sure Mme Le Pen would be proud.
  • Options

nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

Florida has a very high latino population I expect to overwhelmingly break for Clinton. I don't think it will even be close in the end.
    But it has a large retired population? Or will the latino population out vote it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

A large percentage of Latino's in Florida aren't Mexican and the Cuban population have a history of being much more Republican than Mexicans (and they get out and vote).

Edit - only 2.3% of Florida is Mexican heritage. 18% are classed as Latino, of which most are Cubans and Puerto Ricans.

Its also a funny place, with loads of white retirees, many of which go there for just the Winter.
This discussion has been closed.