Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rio’s over and so to Tokyo and beyond

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

CD13 said:

"That is why Lynsey Sharp is getting so upset. However hard she goes away and trains, however hard Jenny Meadows goes and trains, they are never going to be able to compete with that level of strength and recovery that those levels of elevated testosterone bring.

Could make the same argument about the men competing against Phelps.
    Well not really, he has been beaten to the gold a few times. Semenya will never be beaten by non-hyperandrogynous woman. It is physically impossible without doping. Phelps has already been beaten fair and square.
    Semenya won silver at London. The winner was certainly non-hyperandrogynous, whether she was clean is another matter.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The women's 800 metre is probably the event you can change the most through drugs/hyperandrogeny as it is both aerobic and anaerobic by necessity; also a way more 'pure' race than the oft tactical 1500.

Yes, agree. It's a really horrible race to run, too far for sprinting and too short for distance running techniques.

It's basically who can slow down the least, against everything the body is telling you!
    I caught a bit of Michael Johnson talking about the issues for 100m vs 200m sprinters.

IIUC, he said Bolt's very upright tight technique was perfect for 100m - but really tough for 200m, as the natural desire to roll when running put huge pressure on his chest/stopped him from using the 100m stance in the last 100m.

That's why he was a zillion x better than Expert On Everything And I'm Better Than You Denise Lewis
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MaxPB said:

Ishmael_X said:

What puts this close to lunatic country, is that if they are told to take medication they then face dq for *not* taking performance-altering drugs.

If there's enough interest in a sport that they take 1, 2 and 3 in the 800 metres why not have a separate competition for them?

Ultimately though Caster has done nothing unnatural, immoral or wrong herself. So she's born with an anomaly that makes her better? I'm sure there's things in Usain Bolt's genetics that have assisted him too. I'm sure Paula Radcliffe herself has some genes that assisted her.

If you want to rule out every anomaly then where do you draw the line. Caster is not a cheat and the Court of Arbitration for Sport had ruled on this beforehand. It's wrong to tarnish her victory now when she hasn't cheated.
    Indeed. The argument is not dissimilar to that put forward quite widely before WWII that certain races should be excluded because of their genetic advantages. That was no doubt a smokescreen for other reasons but that's beside the point; the results suggest that certain races *do* seem to have advantages in certain disciplines / sports. Should they be given weight penalties too? The whole notion enters the realm of absurdity when you start trying to discriminate between 'legitimate' and 'illegitimate' natural advantages.

And this is before genetic engineering better athletes is feasible.
    I think the difference is that Caster Semenya is genetically closer to a man than a woman, she has a working (though not descended) pair of testes, she doesn't have a uterus, all she is missing is a penis and she'd be in the male events. It gives her (and other hyperandrogynous women) a huge advantage over women who are biologically born as 100% female.

I don't think it is unfair to say they either need to create a separate event for this category (maybe at the Paralympics?) or use the medication that the IAAF prescribed before.
    What there needs to be for androgynous cases is a demarcation line, however it's defined. If Semenya is essentially male then she should be competing in the men's competition; if not, then she can carry on as she is. It sounds to me as if it's the definitions that need changing rather than any penalty system introduced (or reintroduced).
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

CD13 said:

"That is why Lynsey Sharp is getting so upset. However hard she goes away and trains, however hard Jenny Meadows goes and trains, they are never going to be able to compete with that level of strength and recovery that those levels of elevated testosterone bring.

Well not really, he has been beaten to the gold a few times. Semenya will never be beaten by non-hyperandrogynous woman. It is physically impossible without doping. Phelps has already been beaten fair and square.
    Semenya won silver at London. The winner was certainly non-hyperandrogynous, whether she was clean is another matter.
    Bolt lost at Athens, lest we forget. While hormones are very potent, there is an associated power curve. Men's peak testosterone levels are in their late teens. However, the best road cyclists tend to be in the 27-34 range and so on. Sprinters peak earlier than that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

BTW - I see Ruth Davidson is channelling what Mike wrote on August 4th

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, has become the most senior party figure to float the idea of an early election as she cited concerns about rebellious backbenchers.

She said the “usual suspects” on the backbenches could “cause problems” for Mrs May and added there was a clear “temptation” to call an election sooner than 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/21/ruth-davidson-says-early-general-election-is-tempting-and-warns/

Nonentity regional party teamleader seeks publicity
    A somewhat uncharitable view of Nicola's visit to the Balkans (which I though 'brave', since Salmond opposed intervention at the time....)
    Salmond opposed intervention in the Bosnian war? Any link to that?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ishmael_X said:

What puts this close to lunatic country, is that if they are told to take medication they then face dq for *not* taking performance-altering drugs.

If there's enough interest in a sport that they take 1, 2 and 3 in the 800 metres why not have a separate competition for them?

Ultimately though Caster has done nothing unnatural, immoral or wrong herself. So she's born with an anomaly that makes her better? I'm sure there's things in Usain Bolt's genetics that have assisted him too. I'm sure Paula Radcliffe herself has some genes that assisted her.

If you want to rule out every anomaly then where do you draw the line. Caster is not a cheat and the Court of Arbitration for Sport had ruled on this beforehand. It's wrong to tarnish her victory now when she hasn't cheated.
    Indeed. The argument is not dissimilar to that put forward quite widely before WWII that certain races should be excluded because of their genetic advantages. That was no doubt a smokescreen for other reasons but that's beside the point; the results suggest that certain races *do* seem to have advantages in certain disciplines / sports. Should they be given weight penalties too? The whole notion enters the realm of absurdity when you start trying to discriminate between 'legitimate' and 'illegitimate' natural advantages.

I think the difference is that Caster Semenya is genetically closer to a man than a woman, she has a working (though not descended) pair of testes, she doesn't have a uterus, all she is missing is a penis and she'd be in the male events. It gives her (and other hyperandrogynous women) a huge advantage over women who are biologically born as 100% female.

I don't think it is unfair to say they either need to create a separate event for this category (maybe at the Paralympics?) or use the medication that the IAAF prescribed before.
    What there needs to be for androgynous cases is a demarcation line, however it's defined. If Semenya is essentially male then she should be competing in the men's competition; if not, then she can carry on as she is. It sounds to me as if it's the definitions that need changing rather than any penalty system introduced (or reintroduced).
    Not my field of expertise but has she got two x-chromosomes or an x and a y-chromosome?

Looks like a woman to me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    John_M said:

Bolt lost at Athens, lest we forget. While hormones are very potent, there is an associated power curve. Men's peak testosterone levels are in their late teens. However, the best road cyclists tend to be in the 27-34 range and so on. Sprinters peak earlier than that.

How is Justin Gatlin still competitive at 34 then :innocent face:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

The problem is that in the world of feelings before reality those definitions will never happen. I think having them compete in a special event in the Paralympics is the fairest solution. Low-T men and high-T women could compete in it. Might be a bit of a freak show to start with, but over time it will give people who don't fit in anywhere an event or events to compete in against people who won't beat them too easily (men's events) or agaonst people who they will beat far too easily (women's events).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

malcolmg said:

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, has become the most senior party figure to float the idea of an early election as she cited concerns about rebellious backbenchers.

She said the “usual suspects” on the backbenches could “cause problems” for Mrs May and added there was a clear “temptation” to call an election sooner than 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/21/ruth-davidson-says-early-general-election-is-tempting-and-warns/

A somewhat uncharitable view of Nicola's visit to the Balkans (which I though 'brave', since Salmond opposed intervention at the time....)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/307225.stm
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

CD13 said:

Hint: she was Russian.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Indeed. The argument is not dissimilar to that put forward quite widely before WWII that certain races should be excluded because of their genetic advantages.''

Its quite dissimilar because we are talking about sex here, and not race.

AS I say, defend it if you like, but women simply won't bother to compete in events that feature people with this condition. Nobody will be interested.

IN a way, the whole Olympic ethos of men's and women's events runs counter to the modern leftist agenda of destroying traditional gender politics.

And that is why this is such a massive problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

Ishmael_X said:

Not my field of expertise but has she got two x-chromosomes or an x and a y-chromosome?

Weren't the rumours that she had both XX and XY present? Having a working set of testes means she must have XY chromosomes present. That's why she has been classed as intersex.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Mark Wallace
    Owen's running a campaign based on the premise that he isn't proud of Britain now. Captain Competence strikes again. https://t.co/LR6Ke4kzlj

He's timed that particular debating point well!

One thing Smith does demonstrate is that no matter how bad things are they can always get worse. I'm starting to think that Smith is a secret Corbynite.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    MaxPB said:

I've just been talking to my gf and we're both putting £75/m aside for the next 4 years into a new joint account so we can go to Tokyo in 2020 and get opening ceremony tickets as well as a few days at the pool, and few evenings at the velodrome. Not that bothered about athletics now that Mo, Usain and Jess aren't going to be there.

MaxPB said:

I've just been talking to my gf and we're both putting £75/m aside for the next 4 years into a new joint account so we can go to Tokyo in 2020 and get opening ceremony tickets as well as a few days at the pool, and few evenings at the velodrome. Not that bothered about athletics now that Mo, Usain and Jess aren't going to be there.

I wonder how easy it will be to get tickets for an away olympics, remembering how next-to-impossible it was London? The reasons that so many seats are empty are many more than their being unsold, after all.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

CD13 said:

"In December 2014, a documentary aired on German TV in which Savinova allegedly admitted to using banned substances on camera. In the video the speaker's face is out of focus and her voice is dubbed into German.[1] In November 2015, Savinova was one of five Russian runners the World Anti-Doping Agency recommended to receive a lifetime ban for doping during the London Olympics"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariya_Savinova#Doping_allegations
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Ishmael_X said:

CD13 said:

On the Caster issue, Paula (of ‘I’ll have a quick pee behind the nearest tree, nobody will notice’ fame) Radcliffe is forthright …

As I have posted before , the whole drug taking issue is ridiculous .
    Scientists discover that Vitamin Q14 present in minute quantities in everybody is an aid to high jumping .
    Upper Bongo athletes have abnormally high levels of Q14 and regularly win all the High Jump comps - are they cheating ?
    Scientists discover that the Umbug Tree which only grows in the Upper Bongo has nuts with very high levels of Q14 .
    It is found that Kew gardens has 2 specimens of this tree brought back from Africa in 1860 . The nuts are fed to UK athletes who win High Jump medals - are they cheating ?
    The US spends 100 million dollars buying up all the worlds production of humbug nuts and feed them to US athletes wo now win all the medals - are they cheating ?
    Russian scientists produce Q14 in the laboratory give pills who now win all the medals - are they cheating ?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Indeed. The argument is not dissimilar to that put forward quite widely before WWII that certain races should be excluded because of their genetic advantages.''

Its quite dissimilar because we are talking about sex here, and not race.

AS I say, defend it if you like, but women simply won't bother to compete in events that feature people with this condition. Nobody will be interested.

IN a way, the whole Olympic ethos of men's and women's events runs counter to the modern leftist agenda of destroying traditional gender politics.

And that is why this is such a massive problem.

Bollocks. People will always be interested, no male sprinters in the UK can compete with Bolt over 100 metres but that doesn't mean that nobody is ever interested in sprinting.

Most athletes compete against their nearest competitors and their own personal best. The existence of an elite that is even better doesn't put them off.
  • Options
    Titter.......

More than 200 schools built in Scotland under private finance initiative (PFI) schemes are now at least partially owned by offshore investment funds.....

Although published data does not confirm the exact number of PFI schools owned wholly or partly offshore, it is clear they represent the vast majority.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37135611
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The women's 800 metre is probably the event you can change the most through drugs/hyperandrogeny as it is both aerobic and anaerobic by necessity; also a way more 'pure' race than the oft tactical 1500.

Yes, agree. It's a really horrible race to run, too far for sprinting and too short for distance running techniques.

It's basically who can slow down the least, against everything the body is telling you!
    I caught a bit of Michael Johnson talking about the issues for 100m vs 200m sprinters.

IIUC, he said Bolt's very upright tight technique was perfect for 100m - but really tough for 200m, as the natural desire to roll when running put huge pressure on his chest/stopped him from using the 100m stance in the last 100m.

That's why he was a zillion x better than Expert On Everything And I'm Better Than You Denise Lewis
    Michael Johnson is a proper class act, a real catch for British TV athletics events. He's really missed when watching the international feeds.

He was the Bolt of his era, yet remains humble and is great at articulating the complexities of the various disiplines in ways that a layman can understand. He also provided the analysis on the nights his two world records fell.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It's great that the human race doesn't fit into neat classifications.

The Olympics needs to wake up to that and deal with it humanely in a way that is not invasive to the privacy of individual.

I am not sure any of us would enjoy the location of our gonads or the contents of our DNA discussed on the Internet.

It's a bit sick.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

malcolmg said:

Ah, you've conflated Serbia's Kosovan war with the entirely separate Bosnian war & Srebrenica massacre four years earlier.

Good work.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ishmael_X said:

Weren't the rumours that she had both XX and XY present? Having a working set of testes means she must have XY chromosomes present. That's why she has been classed as intersex.
    I'm not sure about Semenya's exact condition, but here's an extract about the most common DSD:

"There are a variety of intersex conditions or DSDs (differences of sexual development). The DSD that probably imparts the largest athletic advantage is called 5-alpha reductase deficiency or 5-ARD. Children born with 5-ARD have a Y chromosome, but have a deficiency in the enzyme that is used to convert testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT. In turn, DHT is responsible for the development of external male genitalia, hence babies with 5-ARD are often assigned female gender at birth. After puberty, girls with 5-ARD have T in the low-normal male range, and hence have a huge athletic advantage over other women."
  • Options
    John_M said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ishmael_X said:

I'm not sure about Semenya's exact condition, but here's an extract about the most common DSD:

"There are a variety of intersex conditions or DSDs (differences of sexual development). The DSD that probably imparts the largest athletic advantage is called 5-alpha reductase deficiency or 5-ARD. Children born with 5-ARD have a Y chromosome, but have a deficiency in the enzyme that is used to convert testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT. In turn, DHT is responsible for the development of external male genitalia, hence babies with 5-ARD are often assigned female gender at birth. After puberty, girls with 5-ARD have T in the low-normal male range, and hence have a huge athletic advantage over other women."
    BTW, DHT is most responsible for male pattern baldness.
  • Options
    ''Bollocks. People will always be interested, no male sprinters in the UK can compete with Bolt over 100 metres but that doesn't mean that nobody is ever interested in sprinting.''

That is a titanically bad example. Being beaten by Bolt is one thing. Being beaten by an athlete returning from a drugs ban is something completely different. Ask any athlete.

• Options
    taffys said:

''Bollocks. People will always be interested, no male sprinters in the UK can compete with Bolt over 100 metres but that doesn't mean that nobody is ever interested in sprinting.''

That is a titanically bad example. Being beaten by Bolt is one thing. Being beaten by an athlete returning from a drugs ban is something completely different. Ask any athlete.

But Semenya hasn't taken any illicit drugs. If she had she should be banned. She has genes that assist her, I'm sure Bolt does too.
  • Options

taffys said:

But Semenya hasn't taken any illicit drugs. If she had she should be banned. She has genes that assist her, I'm sure Bolt does too.
    Yes, male genes, in female events.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Indigo said:

Re: Rio

Surely we should be considering GMPC (Gold Medals per capita) in any fair comparison ;)

0.44 ... UK
    0.20 ... Germany
    0.14 ... USA
    0.13 ... Russia
    0.01 ... China

The problem with this approach is we come some way down the table from the Bahamas with 2.58 gold medals per capita !

If you assume a natural distribution of talent for any event within any population, I am not convinced that the expected relationship between national population size and number of gold medals, all other things being equal, would be linear?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

If that's the case she should be classified as such. The Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled that not to be the case.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

CD13 said:

On the Caster issue, Paula (of ‘I’ll have a quick pee behind the nearest tree, nobody will notice’ fame) Radcliffe is forthright …

As I have posted before , the whole drug taking issue is ridiculous .
    Scientists discover that Vitamin Q14 present in minute quantities in everybody is an aid to high jumping .
    Upper Bongo athletes have abnormally high levels of Q14 and regularly win all the High Jump comps - are they cheating ?
    Scientists discover that the Umbug Tree which only grows in the Upper Bongo has nuts with very high levels of Q14 .
    It is found that Kew gardens has 2 specimens of this tree brought back from Africa in 1860 . The nuts are fed to UK athletes who win High Jump medals - are they cheating ?
    The US spends 100 million dollars buying up all the worlds production of humbug nuts and feed them to US athletes wo now win all the medals - are they cheating ?
    Russian scientists produce Q14 in the laboratory give pills who now win all the medals - are they cheating ?
    Reductio ad Godfrey Bloomin' heck
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Ah, you've conflated Serbia's Kosovan war with the entirely separate Bosnian war & Srebrenica massacre four years earlier.

Good work.
    Salmond had clearly learned nothing from Srebrenica.....how's that hole you're digging going?
  • Options
    ''It's great that the human race doesn't fit into neat classifications.''

If you are arguing that we should do away with separating men's and women's sports altogether, well its a brave suggestion. Very brave.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    taffys said:

''Testosterone is just a huge advantage. ''

I really don;t think the authorities realise what a potentially huge problem they have here.

They soon will.

I wonder if Kaitlin Jenner would be allowed in the Olympics as a female if she wanted to get back into it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

There all manner of weird and wonderful chromosomal issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Klinefelter_XXY

There was a Spanish athlete in the 80s who was stripped of her medals due to this syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_X_syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXXY_syndrome
  • Options

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

If that's the case she should be classified as such. The Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled that not to be the case.
    Actually, the IAAF has ruled that to be the case, but CAS ruled that intersex women should have a two year period in which to show how they would affect women's events after which the IAAF can choose to reimpose the testosterone reduction medication if they feel it gives them an unfair advantage over fully female competitors. CAS didn't rule on genetics, they ruled on the competitive side and said that the IAAF had acted without gathering enough evidence.
  • Options
    taffys said:

If you are arguing that we should do away with separating men's and women's sports altogether, well its a brave suggestion. Very brave.

Not sure how you got to that. All I want is a bit more sensitivity and decision making from the authorities that protects the individual.

• Options
    ''But Semenya hasn't taken any illicit drugs. If she had she should be banned. She has genes that assist her, I'm sure Bolt does too. ''

To my mind the extension of your argument is a unified racing free for all which essentially means no participation by what we now know as 'women' in any olympics in future.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Is Team GB with the national lottery now like Chelsea with Abramovich?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Good work.
    Salmond had clearly learned nothing from Srebrenica.....how's that hole you're digging going?
    Q. Salmond opposed intervention in the Bosnian war? Any link to that?

A. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/307225.stm

Always a joy to witness your elastic relationship with dates and geography, and provide a bit of necessary schooling.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Olympics needs to wake up to that and deal with it humanely in a way that is not invasive to the privacy of individual.

I am not sure any of us would enjoy the location of our gonads or the contents of our DNA discussed on the Internet.

It's a bit sick.

For 99.99%+ (and for once, we can use that accurately), it's not an issue. We're talking one athlete out of more than 10000 in Rio, never mind all those other athletes who didn't qualify. I fully accept that it needs to be done humanely and sensitively but at the same time, the decision reached needs to be fair to all involved and that will inevitably involve debate.

In fact, that it's so rare is unfortunate because the general case becomes hard to separate from the specific, given that there is at present only one specific worth considering.
  • Options
    John_M said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

There all manner of weird and wonderful chromosomal issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Klinefelter_XXY

There was a Spanish athlete in the 80s who was stripped of her medals due to this syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_X_syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXXY_syndrome
    Indeed, I think that's the core of the issue. We should classify female events as XX and male events as XY. Deviation from that can have Paralympic events for each different classification if there are enough competitors. Making it impossible for XX women to win events through legitimate means is not right.
  • Options
    ''Not sure how you got to that. All I want is a bit more sensitivity and decision making from the authorities that protects the individual.''

Well you said its great the human race doesn;t fit into neat classifications (Presumably you meant 'men' and 'women'. If its so great then why have classifications at all?).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    As I've said repeatedly, make the Olympics open to all. One competition open to males, females, those with AIS or steroidal synthesis enzyme disorders and drug abusers.

No females would have much of a chance, but you can't make a proper omelette without ...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is Team GB with the national lottery now like Chelsea with Abramovich?

It's Abramovich money plus Ferguson recruitment and Wenger's development. Best of everything!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

We have a men's 100m and a women's 100m, due to the genetic differences in their bodies.

So, should we have a "white" 100m and a "black" 100m to be fair to different races?

• Options

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

For 99.99%+ (and for once, we can use that accurately), it's not an issue. We're talking one athlete out of more than 10000 in Rio, never mind all those other athletes who didn't qualify. I fully accept that it needs to be done humanely and sensitively but at the same time, the decision reached needs to be fair to all involved and that will inevitably involve debate.

In fact, that it's so rare is unfortunate because the general case becomes hard to separate from the specific, given that there is at present only one specific worth considering.
    The debate should not be focussed on an individual. I can't think of other circumstances would it be okay to talk openly about someone's gonads. Politics doesn't count.

The Olympics has a specific problem to solve, because it rewards genetic specialisation. This is likely to become more common in future.

Speaking of specialisation, it would be great to see an Olympic event for the genetic all-rounder, Mr & Mrs Average. Someone who is amazingly right down the middle, neither slow nor fast etc. :-)

• Options
    Jonathan said:

taffys said:

Not sure how you got to that. All I want is a bit more sensitivity and decision making from the authorities that protects the individual.

That's Corbynite waffle that could easily be put alongside 'no person left behind' (a decidedly un-Olympian slogan).

What does "a bit more sensitivity and decision making from the authorities that protects the individual" mean in practice in this case?
  • Options
    Only in Ireland

Irish Times
    Squatters living in derelict Dublin prison face jail terms https://t.co/sDoyelMpIj
  • Options
    If we have separate male and female competitions, you need to define the limits. We are reluctant to do so. My view is unpopular, but given sensitivities about gender, it's the only way forward.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Speaking of specialisation, it would be great to see an Olympic event for the genetic all-rounder, Mr & Mrs Average. Someone who is amazingly right down the middle, neither slow nor fast etc. :-)

The heptathlon and decathlon are great examples of being events in which one can win overall without winning any single individual event.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU
  • Options
    We separate by gender, why not age too? Wouldn't it be fun to have an over 40s, over 60s and over 80s classification for some sports.

I love to tune into the 100m for the over 80s.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

The debate should not be focussed on an individual. I can't think of other circumstances would it be okay to talk openly about someone's gonads. Politics doesn't count.

The Olympics has a specific problem to solve, because it rewards genetic specialisation. This is likely to become more common in future.

No, it'd be entirely boring. Billions tune in to the Olympics to watch the exceptional; not some bloke doing a glorified gym workout.

It's the same reason why Quentin Wilson never got why Top Gear became more successful once they stopped reviewing Vauxhall Cavaliers.

Edit - I think you might have been joking. I'm not sure whether the fact that I didn't notice reflects worse on me or you.
  • Options
    I've suggested on Left Foot Forward that Usain Bolt could self-identify as a woman and win gold medals for the next twenty years. That would satisfy the Guardian readers.
  • Options

We have a men's 100m and a women's 100m, due to the genetic differences in their bodies.

So, should we have a "white" 100m and a "black" 100m to be fair to different races?

No, because we compete as nations - not races.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Clearly the answer is to restrict the Olympic Games to sports where gender doesn't matter. Croquet, Tiddlywinks and Wine Tasting come to mind.
  • Options

Clearly the answer is to restrict the Olympic Games to sports where gender doesn't matter. Croquet, Tiddlywinks and Wine Tasting come to mind.

I'd be up for a spot of pasty eating.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Jonathan said:

taffys said:

That's Corbynite waffle that could easily be put alongside 'no person left behind' (a decidedly un-Olympian slogan).

What does "a bit more sensitivity and decision making from the authorities that protects the individual" mean in practice in this case?
    Create a simple rule, stick to it and put a stop to endless debate unfairly focussed on individuals who have their private bits dragged through the media. Ie the opposite of "Corbynnite waffle".

If anything, I think it is you who secretly desire to wear one of those funny caps and create a public committee called the "the people's gender assignment tribunal".
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I've suggested on Left Foot Forward that Usain Bolt could self-identify as a woman and win gold medals for the next twenty years. That would satisfy the Guardian readers.

LOL! That's one way of getting rid of Flo-Jo's dodgy world records ;)
  • Options

What a narrow minded view. We should have the Caring Games - where those who emote the most get to feel really good about themselves. There are no winners or losers as that'd demean their self-worth.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    CD13 said:

If we have separate male and female competitions, you need to define the limits. We are reluctant to do so. My view is unpopular, but given sensitivities about gender, it's the only way forward.

This is the problem with the tyranny of the concept of 'gender' - something that is a modern creation with no real basis in reality.

If what is reported is true, it is clearly wrong that someone who was born without a womb or ovaries and who has internal testes competes as a woman.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What a narrow minded view. We should have the Caring Games - where those who emote the most get to feel really good about themselves. There are no winners or losers as that'd demean their self-worth.
    You clearly have never played Croquet, a bitter, brutal sport.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

It's rather rough on the 99.99% born XX with the ability to make body mass of an XX having to compete against somebody who is kinda XX but with the ability to make the muscles of an XY. Caster Semenya is a gold medal winner because life's lottery has given her a huge advantage. Whilst not cheating as such, she doesn't compete on a level playing field.
  • Options
    What the..?
    China takes out a full page ad in the Times today, exclaiming the virtues of Chinese Olympians!
    http://order-order.com/2016/08/22/times-runs-full-page-ad-for-china-heroes/
  • Options

The PB collective should enter a wine tasting team :)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

You played with John Prescott?

The Olympics is about competition - having men winning female Gold, Silver and Bronze because of PC gender politics is daft.

There's no comparison with having Phelp's big feet or long body, or Bolt's long legs and height.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The PB collective should enter a wine tasting team :)
    You would need extra long ribbons so that the medals could get over the abnormally large noses.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sandpit said:

What the..?
    China takes out a full page ad in the Times today, exclaiming the virtues of Chinese Olympians!

What a joke – mind you, the Times will appreciate the advertising revenue…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What the..?

"A bold headline emblazoned with the Chinese flag praises “China Heroes” such as weightlifter Long Qingquan and table tennis champion Ding Ning."

What an ace name!
  • Options
    I have just come across a rather excellent term used by the arrogant astronomer Fritz Zwicky. He was famously difficult to get on with, and termed his colleagues "spherical bastards - bastards whichever way you looked at them..."
  • Options
    China isn't too bad at sports, especially when compared to it's population rival India. I think only getting two bronze medals in the gymnastics will sting the most for them !
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

What the..?

"A bold headline emblazoned with the Chinese flag praises “China Heroes” such as weightlifter Long Qingquan and table tennis champion Ding Ning."

What an ace name!
    Known to his friends as Seconds Away, Round One...
  • Options
    ''What an ace name! ''

Could we take out an ad in the People's Daily?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

What the..?

What an ace name!
    Known to his friends as Seconds Away, Round One...
    :lol:
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Not sure about wine tasting or tiddlywinks but generally croquet is split between men and women at the highest levels (men having generally better perceptual ability). Certainly the winners of the President's cup and Chairman's Salver for the last 'n' years have been male - and special women's competitions were held.

That being said, one of the most famous historical croquet players was Dorothy Steel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Steel. (Although many here will remember John Prescott's recent contribution at Dorneywood))

Technical advances in croquet in recent years have been amazing - a few years ago a triple peel (putting your partner ball through the last three hoops while making your own winning break) was notable. These days, Quadruple peels are hardly mentioned, Sextuple peels are commonplace and there have even been cases of Octuple peels (putting the ball through the last 8 hoops as you make 12. Bear in mind you can only hit (roquet) and take croquet from (contact shot) each ball ONCE between making each hoop.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Not sure about wine tasting or tiddlywinks but generally croquet is split between men and women at the highest levels (men having generally better perceptual ability). Certainly the winners of the President's cup and Chairman's Salver for the last 'n' years have been male - and special women's competitions were held.

That being said, one of the most famous historical croquet players was Dorothy Steel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Steel. (Although many here will remember John Prescott's recent contribution at Dorneywood))

Technical advances in croquet in recent years have been amazing - a few years ago a triple peel (putting your partner ball through the last three hoops while making your own winning break) was notable. These days, Quadruple peels are hardly mentioned, Sextuple peels are commonplace and there have even been cases of Octuple peels (putting the ball through the last 8 hoops as you make 12. Bear in mind you can only hit (roquet) and take croquet from (contact shot) each ball ONCE between making each hoop.
    There's no subject PBers are beyond appropriate expertise in.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
  • Options
    The other thing that occurred to me is that now we're actually good at the Olympics it might be time to raise the bar for honours from four golds for a knighthood to five golds. If we're still as good in Tokyo then raise it again to six. It was fine to set the bar at four golds when were weren't very good but we are now in a different place with performance, giving out the highest honour needs a higher bar.
  • Options
    agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    Whereas examining an athlete's sexual phenotype may be considered intrusive, is the same true of the determination of their genotype?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The other thing that occurred to me is that now we're actually good at the Olympics it might be time to raise the bar for honours from four golds for a knighthood to five golds. If we're still as good in Tokyo then raise it again to six. It was fine to set the bar at four golds when were weren't very good but we are now in a different place with performance, giving out the highest honour needs a higher bar.

Anything is better than zero golds and being a mate of the PM.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited August 2016

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

It is being widely reported that 4 of the 8 finalists in the 800 m were intersex, not just 1 athlete at the whole games
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

No, it'd be entirely boring. Billions tune in to the Olympics to watch the exceptional; not some bloke doing a glorified gym workout.

It's the same reason why Quentin Wilson never got why Top Gear became more successful once they stopped reviewing Vauxhall Cavaliers.

Edit - I think you might have been joking. I'm not sure whether the fact that I didn't notice reflects worse on me or you.
    Picking up indirectly on this point, I do like the Decathlon and Heptathlon for that reason - much less cope for genetic exceptionalism, more scope for the all-rounder. Superficially, the pentathlon ought to be even better in this regard, with its more esoteric range of disciplines - but the show jumping aspect is to a large extent a lottery and I have my doubts about the fencing - though I'm no expert and I'm sure others understand better than I the subtleties involved.

And while I'm throwing my uninformed opinions around, I would happily lose any sports from the Olympics (and indeed from the general category 'sport') anything which includes judges, points for artistic interpretation, a backing track, or an expectation that competitors slather themselves in make-up to perform (if they are performing rather than competing it is not a sport). Rhythmic gymnastics is jolly clever, but is not a sport.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Pulpstar said:

China isn't too bad at sports, especially when compared to it's population rival India. I think only getting two bronze medals in the gymnastics will sting the most for them !

At one time they used to do very well at mens hockey.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

I have played Association Croquet (handicap was once 2 1/2) - it is no more a brutal sport than snooker. It is one of the most skilful ball games there is with players trying to hit a ball up to 40 yards away from their own and then having to place balls accurately within a few inches from many yards away. The croquet shot (one ball touches the other and BOTH must move when the player's ball is hit), is one of finesse - holding the mallet differently can send the balls at different ratios from 6:1 (stop shot) to 1:1.5 (pass roll) when sent in the same direction and accurate placement is required when the balls go off in different directions (called a split shot).
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

It is being widely reported that 4 of the 8 finalists in the 800 m were intersex, not just 1 athlete at the whole games
    The other three injected themselves ?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    weejonnie said:

Fantastic post. I haven't a clue what the last paragraph actually means, but it is certainly well up there in the highest traditions of PB. Thank you, Mr. Jonnie.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It would be easier to abolish the stupid system. Is Phelps getting a gong ? 22 !, I repeat, 22 !
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

I once went on a “team bonding weekend” where we were encouraged to play croquet........
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    PlatoSaid said:

Mark Wallace
    Owen's running a campaign based on the premise that he isn't proud of Britain now. Captain Competence strikes again. https://t.co/LR6Ke4kzlj

Owen Smith: A Labour Party that isn't proud of Britain.

Oh dear, yet another Owen Goal
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Pulpstar said:

At one time they used to do very well at mens hockey.
    Before Astro-turf came in. India and Pakistan were stupid to accept it. The dribbling skills went with it. Now it is hit and run. From 1936 to 1968, they won them all.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Good work.
    Q. Salmond opposed intervention in the Bosnian war? Any link to that?

A. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/307225.stm

Always a joy to witness your elastic relationship with dates and geography, and provide a bit of necessary schooling.
    Always a joy to illustrate the SNP's cozying up to the wrong side as long as they aren't Britain

Belgrade has thanked Scottish National Party leader Alex Salmond for "condemning Tony Blair's aggression".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/309981.stm

I wonder how the successor to 'the toast of Belgrade' felt about that....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    This looks revolting. What is it?

Jena Abrams
    This is kind of meat the Venezuelan government give inside it's CLAP* bags to the people

Socialism is yum https://t.co/r7ezRveU3x

It reminds me of Alien
  • Options
    Astonishing betting figure*

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/767700068237447168

*Astonished that it is high as £74
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We separate by gender, why not age too? Wouldn't it be fun to have an over 40s, over 60s and over 80s classification for some sports.

I love to tune into the 100m for the over 80s.

Records are kept for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Momentum
    #LabourLeadership vote has begun - time to make some waves! Let us know when you've #JustVotedJez https://t.co/sBKrUWtYA9
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    weejonnie said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

I have played Association Croquet (handicap was once 2 1/2) - it is no more a brutal sport than snooker. It is one of the most skilful ball games there is with players trying to hit a ball up to 40 yards away from their own and then having to place balls accurately within a few inches from many yards away. The croquet shot (one ball touches the other and BOTH must move when the player's ball is hit), is one of finesse - holding the mallet differently can send the balls at different ratios from 6:1 (stop shot) to 1:1.5 (pass roll) when sent in the same direction and accurate placement is required when the balls go off in different directions (called a split shot).
    Agreed. One of my favourite, and one of the most mis-understood of lawn games.

Some wags used to remark that I spent more time playing Croquet than studying; I never tried to work it out, but was certaintly never happier than when in BNC new quad playing with mallets and balls.....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

It would be easier to abolish the stupid system. Is Phelps getting a gong ? 22 !, I repeat, 22 !
    Yes, well there zillions of swimming events to win. Not so much on the cycling track or rowing boat.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

I once went on a “team bonding weekend” where we were encouraged to play croquet........
    Excellent idea. Anyone who's not 100% ruthless can be noted as unfit for promotion.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    What about bell-ringing as an Olympic sport? (Technically, I believe, campanology is the study of bell-ringing rather than the exercise itself). I know I've just doubted the validity of sports that require judges, but judging in these contests is for accuracy and timing rather than style - something a computer could easily do. It is an exercise that requires more than a little physicality, skill, practice, dedication etc...
    It would be a tedious spectator event, admittedly - although it would provide a pleasant musical backdrop for a couple of days. But GB&BNI would be in with a good shout of a medal (along with Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand), natch).
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    surbiton said:

Ishmael_X said:

Jonathan said:

It's a bit sick.

The other three injected themselves ?
    Possibly, but the injections dont seem to have leveled the playing field much do they? If they did it's a spooky coincidence that 3 of them make the final despite no inherent advantage
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

The grievance mongers alight on Great British Bake off:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14694454.BBC_criticised_as_new_Great_British_Bake_Off_series_contains_no_Scots/

Lets see -

Scotland has one twelfth of the UK's population.

There are twelve contestants

Last year two came from Scotland.

So, all things being equal, roughly how many should Scotland have this year.....?

Business as usual , we just pay for them to have fun at our expense.

Talking of which....GERS are out this week - the usual suspects rubbishing them already.....where is that Whisky export duty?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14696204.David_Torrance__Why_the_SNP_needs_a_mature_response_to_economic_figures/
    Being counted as London revenue no doubt
This discussion has been closed.