Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May’s new PM ratings honeymoon is bigger than Thatcher

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    The so-called consumables people are discussing here are bloody weird.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    http://thetimes.co.uk/article/5393361a-6571-11e6-a774-ff13af5d13cb

This is why my trust rating for the IFS is close to zero. Paul Johnson has his own agenda and narrative, he needs replacing, urgently.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Note to Corbyn: to win you need to get actual Tories to vote Labour. People who have voted Tory since 2005. Not people who thought about it whilst queuing for regurgitated quinoa in a pop up stand in Hackney.

What does quinoa taste like? Or look like? I've never seen it in the flesh and no desire to either.

Is regurgitated quinoa something Gwyeth Paltrow sources from ethically sourced seagulls?
    Regurgitated quinoa joins coffee made from weasel vomit and cat excrement and Frey pies as food I never want to try.
    The coffee beans are only sourced from poop rather than vomit, if that makes any difference.
    Indonesian Cat Shit is the world's most expensive coffee, but it has a rival in Vietnamese Weasel Puke.
    A taste I've no desire to acquire. Apparently Gwyneth is keen on cockroach milk as her next health craze. I can't believe Olympic champions like Phelps are covered in cupping bruises. What immense nonsense. I'd give him a love bite for free.
    I reckon canny peasants in Third World countries love to come up with new ways to fleece rich Westerners, by persuading them that some revolting food is a great delicacy. In Cambodia, they love to eat Tarantulas and other bugs, and maybe they could market them to people like Gwyneth Paltrow at vastly inflated prices.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, what's the gist of the Times article?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The train soundbite was a mistake, but leaving aside politics does raise some interesting questions about what a train service might look like if it were invented from scratch today.

Lots of things haven't changed much, which today are pretty anachronistic.

Visual signals (my line has just replace semaphore)
    The location of stations (aiding integration with car transport outside cities, big stations on the M25)

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    MaxPB said:

This is why my trust rating for the IFS is close to zero. Paul Johnson has his own agenda and narrative, he needs replacing, urgently.

I can't see the full article but this bit in the opening is interesting:

3) The UK economy would grow more strongly within the EU, and the single market, than outside.

That's a long way from the Armageddon being predicted before the vote.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Note to Corbyn: to win you need to get actual Tories to vote Labour. People who have voted Tory since 2005. Not people who thought about it whilst queuing for regurgitated quinoa in a pop up stand in Hackney.

What does quinoa taste like? Or look like? I've never seen it in the flesh and no desire to either.

Is regurgitated quinoa something Gwyeth Paltrow sources from ethically sourced seagulls?
    Regurgitated quinoa joins coffee made from weasel vomit and cat excrement and Frey pies as food I never want to try.
    The coffee beans are only sourced from poop rather than vomit, if that makes any difference.
    Indonesian Cat Shit is the world's most expensive coffee, but it has a rival in Vietnamese Weasel Puke.
    You learn something new every day.
    I discover there is also panda dung tea (fertilised with rather than excreted), $35,000 for 500 grams.

Off to Edinburgh Zoo with a shovel.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

A taste I've no desire to acquire. Apparently Gwyneth is keen on cockroach milk as her next health craze. I can't believe Olympic champions like Phelps are covered in cupping bruises. What immense nonsense. I'd give him a love bite for free.
    I reckon canny peasants in Third World countries love to come up with new ways to fleece rich Westerners, by persuading them that some revolting food is a great delicacy. In Cambodia, they love to eat Tarantulas and other bugs, and maybe they could market them to people like Gwyneth Paltrow at vastly inflated prices.
    Terry Pratchett made the point that many so-called delicacies are a result of poor people on the brink of starvation. Nobody would willingly come up with the idea that swallow-nest spit is a good idea. When your betters are eating all the good stuff, you have to get creative.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for our train fans

Owen Smith
    "Isambard Kingdom Brunel wld look at our trains and he'd recognise them because they haven't changed since he built them- we need to invest"

Owen Smith and Jezza are playing a game of idiot top trumps:

Owen: "I'll start with lets go soft on ISIS"

Jez: "Won't bother with enacting NATO art 5"

Owen: "Trains haven't changed since 1850s"
    Jez in tune with Trump here...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Italians managed to turn polenta into a trendy food. If they can do that with something that tastes like heated MDF, anything is possible.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The train soundbite was a mistake, but leaving aside politics does raise some interesting questions about what a train service might look like if it were invented from scratch today.

The location of stations (aiding integration with car transport outside cities, big stations on the M25)

Semaphores are more reliable.
  • Options

The Italians managed to turn polenta into a trendy food. If they can do that with something that tastes like heated MDF, anything is possible.

My gf made me try a polenta pizza in Milan recently. It felt like a wasted meal, literally no taste.
  • Options

"Experts, listen to us or else".
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Jonathan said:

So many more...

Guards still employed solely to open and close the doors

Sunday working classes as overtime

Multiple incompatible electrification systems

Narrow gauge and low bridges that prevent double decker trains being used
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Terry Pratchett made the point that many so-called delicacies are a result of poor people on the brink of starvation. Nobody would willingly come up with the idea that swallow-nest spit is a good idea. When your betters are eating all the good stuff, you have to get creative.
    Definitely the case in Cambodia, under the Khmer Rouge.

During rationing, badger became quite popular over here (and badger goulash is much prized in former Yugoslavia)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We'd never build it because of NIMBYs!
  • Options

Polenta is just another type of vomit.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, sounds about right.

The IFS, under the same chap, criticised an early Osborne Budget for being regressive due to lower forecast benefits spending. The decline was due to a projected fall in unemployment, meaning less unemployment benefit.

I know I tell this anecdote reasonably often, but it's so indicative of the idiotic approach (In that instance, at least) taken by the IFS that it makes me seriously doubt their objectivity.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Ha, true. Have any of these exotic foods ever come from people who could afford to keep cows and eat steak?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

3) The UK economy would grow more strongly within the EU, and the single market, than outside.

No, its entirely consistent. That's why I got so frustrated. Even the much vilified pre-EUref report said exactly this. The argument is about the degree of shortfall.

The even more vilified Treasury report forecast predicted a shortfall. The dishonesty was in the way it was presented i.e. as a 6% absolute contraction.

The macro indicators (e.g. GDP) are, over the forecast period, pretty much noise. The IFS tends to favour NIESR's model in their reports. That model has shortfalls of 1.8% (EEA), 2.1% (FTA), 3.2 (WTO) by 2030. If the effect of reduced trade does affect productivity (the jury is still out), the numbers look considerably worse.

Think about those numbers. Statistically, over 14 years, they're not far from noise. As I said last night, the economic effects are going to be sectoral.
  • Options
    John_M said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

No, its entirely consistent. That's why I got so frustrated. Even the much vilified pre-EUref report said exactly this. The argument is about the degree of shortfall.

The even more vilified Treasury report forecast predicted a shortfall. The dishonesty was in the way it was presented i.e. as a 6% absolute contraction.

The macro indicators (e.g. GDP) are, over the forecast period, pretty much noise. The IFS tends to favour NIESR's model in their reports. That model has shortfalls of 1.8% (EEA), 2.1% (FTA), 3.2 (WTO) by 2030. If the effect of reduced trade does affect productivity (the jury is still out), the numbers look considerably worse.

Think about those numbers. Statistically, over 14 years, they're not far from noise. As I said last night, the economic effects are going to be sectoral.
    You know that, and I know that, but I was referring to Osborne's presentation of the numbers. Perhaps Paul Johnson should have intervened on the day Osborne presented his numbers and pointed out that he was being incredibly disingenuous. Or perhaps Paul Johnson was happy for Osborne to do as he pleased because he probably thought that was the best way to win.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

John_M said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

You know that, and I know that, but I was referring to Osborne's presentation of the numbers. Perhaps Paul Johnson should have intervened on the day Osborne presented his numbers and pointed out that he was being incredibly disingenuous. Or perhaps Paul Johnson was happy for Osborne to do as he pleased because he probably thought that was the best way to win.
    It was one of those perverse things. When the economic arguments were presented, they were so clearly being dishonest in the presentation that it immediately aroused my suspicions. With no positive case for the EU (they really should have asked PB, even I can think of a raft of positives), reduced to fundamental dishonesty in their strongest suite...it wasn't persuasive.
  • Options

Mr. Max, sounds about right.

The IFS, under the same chap, criticised an early Osborne Budget for being regressive due to lower forecast benefits spending. The decline was due to a projected fall in unemployment, meaning less unemployment benefit.

I know I tell this anecdote reasonably often, but it's so indicative of the idiotic approach (In that instance, at least) taken by the IFS that it makes me seriously doubt their objectivity.

What amazes me is that The Times published a letter from 364 "experts" 35 years ago, they've learned nothing since then.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. M, that also ties into the 'no positive argument' line.

They could've presented it as "Of course we'll have growth outside the EU. But inside, we'll get even more."

Instead it was described as "Leave as we'll lose £70bn. Every household* will be £4,300 worse off."

*That, of course, was dubious twice over as it just divided the forecast worst case scenario GDP difference decades into the future by the number of households *and* it's a difference in increase, not a decline from current levels.

Edited extra bit: quite. Experts should be listened to, but not mindlessly obeyed/agreed with as if they're Neolithic shamans. Suspension of critical faculties because someone has expertise in an area is moronic.
  • Options
    Interesting article in the Economist from a week or two ago. It was looking at the impact of Chinese imports on UK Manufacturing and resulting manufacturing job losses since China joined the WTO.

It pretty much matches the areas of high Brexit vote. It goes on the argue that Britain has been very open to trade and has benefited overall but has been piss poor in compensating the areas affected on the downside. For example on retraining budgets on people who have lost skilled jobs, the UK spent only 20% per person that Germany did.

Northern and Midland manufacturing towns have been hit the worst, while the Greater London area and hinterland received a mild boost from cheaper imports. At the same time prior to China joining the WTO the UK's trade deficit averaged 1%, since then 7%.

The trend is similar elsewhere, in the USA it's estimated that 44% of the jobs lost in Manufacturing in the last decade or so have been due to cheap Chinese imports.

Basically China's growth is a big factor in labour market changes in the UK and the rise in working class dissent. But it did not suit either side to really discuss this and the whole drama was focused purely on 'Europe'.

Solving the Europe question within Britain is really only looking at part of the problem and people are going to be disappointed if focusing on trade outside the EU is going to solve any problems of flat incomes for the less skilled,
  • Options

Mr. M, that also ties into the 'no positive argument' line.

They could've presented it as "Of course we'll have growth outside the EU. But inside, we'll get even more."

Instead it was described as "Leave as we'll lose £70bn. Every household* will be £4,300 worse off."

*That, of course, was dubious twice over as it just divided the forecast worst case scenario GDP difference decades into the future by the number of households *and* it's a difference in increase, not a decline from current levels.

It also didn't take into account per capita growth in GDP with lower immigration if we left. The Treasury model assumed the same rates of migration for Leave and Remain iirc.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

tlg86 said:

John_M said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

It was one of those perverse things. When the economic arguments were presented, they were so clearly being dishonest in the presentation that it immediately aroused my suspicions. With no positive case for the EU (they really should have asked PB, even I can think of a raft of positives), reduced to fundamental dishonesty in their strongest suite...it wasn't persuasive.
    They utterly failed to make the positive case for the EU; saying that it's a bit crap but leaving is worse, is not positive case in any way. Backing it with a bunch of bogus stats (comparing GDP figures to the number of households to get "your family worse off by £4,300" was another one) really didn't help either.
    The excellent article by Ms @Cyclefree the other day explains very well.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Sandpit said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Ha, true. Have any of these exotic foods ever come from people who could afford to keep cows and eat steak?
    It's like grappa - in days gone by the deal was that Italian peasants picked the grapes and, after the landlord had made wine from them, got the skins back by way of consolation. From this they managed to distill a strong rough spirit to drown their sorrows/celebrate their efforts.

Nowadays you can buy all kinds of expensive grappa in all sorts of fancy bottles, many of which will tell you precisely which type of grape the skins came from etc. etc. The better made ones taste slightly smoother than the cheaper ones but otherwise they are all much the same. Certainly I doubt anyone could identify blind the grape variety based on a strong spirit distilled from the fermented skins.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    As with others it seems to me that these figures are heavily influenced by the comparator. A glass half empty kind of guy would be lamenting that a significant percentage of our adult population would apparently support Corbyn. I mean, really.

His latest pearl of idiocy on NATO once again demonstrates that he has simply no clue as to what is required to keep this country safe or indeed to have any friends in world affairs. Given that choice what rational person would not support May, whatever reservations they may have?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
  • Options

Interesting article in the Economist from a week or two ago. It was looking at the impact of Chinese imports on UK Manufacturing and resulting manufacturing job losses since China joined the WTO.

It pretty much matches the areas of high Brexit vote. It goes on the argue that Britain has been very open to trade and has benefited overall but has been piss poor in compensating the areas affected on the downside. For example on retraining budgets on people who have lost skilled jobs, the UK spent only 20% per person that Germany did.

Northern and Midland manufacturing towns have been hit the worst, while the Greater London area and hinterland received a mild boost from cheaper imports. At the same time prior to China joining the WTO the UK's trade deficit averaged 1%, since then 7%.

The trend is similar elsewhere, in the USA it's estimated that 44% of the jobs lost in Manufacturing in the last decade or so have been due to cheap Chinese imports.

Basically China's growth is a big factor in labour market changes in the UK and the rise in working class dissent. But it did not suit either side to really discuss this and the whole drama was focused purely on 'Europe'.

Solving the Europe question within Britain is really only looking at part of the problem and people are going to be disappointed if focusing on trade outside the EU is going to solve any problems of flat incomes for the less skilled,

That is an excellent point, and one that both sides of the EU argument will need to keep in mind. Globalisation doesn't go away just because we've left the political structures of the EU.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758

The Leave vote was substantially motivated by a rejection of globalisation. One of of the tragedies of Brexit is that those who benefited most from globalisation didn't bother to spread those benefits around, while disconnection cuts them off entirely. Nothing has changed out there. Success comes from playing the globalisation game. Brexit has made success a lot harder.
  • Options
    YouGov have asked me a very interesting question.

The number of pupils studying foreign languages at A Level has now reached a record low. If you were 16 today and had to choose, would you learn a foreign language or a computer programming language?

Foreign language

or

Computer programming language

I'm someone who is fluent in several languages, and I love learning different languages, I reckon if forced, I'd go for the computing programming course.

What do other PBers think?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    James Hallwood
    I love @jadejonestkd's bio. She's now the Olympic champion head kicker, doing #TeamGB proud! https://t.co/Zs6w6hjMuK
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016

The number of pupils studying foreign languages at A Level has now reached a record low. If you were 16 today and had to choose, would you learn a foreign language or a computer programming language?

Foreign language

or

I'm someone who is fluent in several languages, and I love learning different languages, I reckon if forced, I'd go for the computing programming course.

At A-Level, most certainly not computer programming. Its a bit like doing a Law A-Level, rather than "traditional" subjects then qualifying to be a lawyer.

Also, pure code monkeying has the potential to go the way of manufacturing, plus you can keep yourself fairly easily basic computer programming. What is more difficult / usual is computer science.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

I did a bit of research.

Excluding 1970 when the polls were wrong, David Cameron is the only PM to resign whilst leading in the polls, I reckon Mrs May's ratings is the cherry on the parfait that is Cameron's polling legacy.

Come on TSE. The latest popular (unpopular??) things poll put the Tory brand ahead of Cameron.

He forgot he was a Tory. Lib Dem Prime Minister is what he will be remembered as.
    He'll be remembered as the one whose gamble took us out of Europe. Unless of course the UK does fall apart in which case the back of the tombstone will be needed as well. Nothing really to do with being LibDem; a second coalition would not have made the gamble.
    Also Cameron's unpopularity in the last months of his premiership were entirely to do with the EU. For most of his office he was seen much more favourably than his party.
    For most of his premiership, Cameron was an excellent Coalition Prime Minister.

It went to rat shit when he became a Conservative Prime Minister who was't needing to get re-elected - and could treat those who voted for him with contempt. Aided by some rank idiots he appointed to win the "renegotiation". These can mostly be spotted now by the initials CBE after their name. Cameron's Bloody Embarrassments.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, has it made playing the globalisation game harder?

We can now negotiate deals in the UK interest. It is fair to say a market of 65m or so has less weight than one of 500m or so, but also that the UK deals will be solely in our interest, whereas a deal that was great for Italy, Germany and Slovenia but terrible for us would've been in the EU interest.
  • Options

Foreign language

or

You wouldn't learn Klingon?
  • Options

Foreign language

or

Either is good. It also depends on the programming language being learned. I would not recommend C++ for anyone starting today, for example, but much like learning Latin helps with logic, so does learning C (or assembly). It's a bit if a minefield IMO and not as simple as when I did it. Back then it was C++ or don't bother, now with Obj-C, C# and Python we have flexible and easy to learn programming, but if one were to learn just those the level of understanding would br quite poor.

I'd probably plump for Latin and Python were I given the choice today!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Foreign language

or

I'd go for the foreign language as long term is a more valuable skill to have. Computer programming as such is hack work and commonly now done by people on much lower wages abroad.
  • Options

The Times allows non-paywallers to see a couple of articles for free if you email sign up, apparently.

I'd pick Dominic Lawson on a Sunday as one of mine. I only pay about £9 a month to read everything online and wonder why so many PBers don't fork out such a trivial sum.
  • Options
    Also what foreign language. I would suggest that there is a lot of "tough" competition with Spanish as a second language, if that is a skill you want to deploy.

However, I have a friend who is a fluent English, Mandarin and Cantonese, he ain't short of opportunities. I was told that there are very few westerners who can speak Korean, despite many massive companies based there.
  • Options
    John_M said:

That is an excellent point, and one that both sides of the EU argument will need to keep in mind. Globalisation doesn't go away just because we've left the political structures of the EU.
    True, but outside the EU we have more tools available to the government if required. EU control of tariffs and draconian state aid rules made it almost impossible for the govt to intervene to stop strategic industries from closing.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, to be honest, I very rarely read newspaper articles online so it doesn't seem worth it to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

Foreign language

or

Either is good. It also depends on the programming language being learned. I would not recommend C++ for anyone starting today, for example, but much like learning Latin helps with logic, so does learning C (or assembly). It's a bit if a minefield IMO and not as simple as when I did it. Back then it was C++ or don't bother, now with Obj-C, C# and Python we have flexible and easy to learn programming, but if one were to learn just those the level of understanding would br quite poor.

I'd probably plump for Latin and Python were I given the choice today!
    I think we would be sensible to incorporate something like Matlab into science and maths programs. It is used across academia and science industry to prototype ideas and while easy language to learn, it requires ones to think about how you form your problem normally as a matrix calculation.
  • Options

Foreign language

or

That's an interesting question. Computer languages are obviously the future, but they tend to become popular and unpopular very quickly, meaning you'd need to constantly relearn to stay on top.

Probably better leaning Mandarin, don't more than half the world's population speak either that or English?
  • Options

Foreign language

or

I'd go for the foreign language as long term is a more valuable skill to have. Computer programming as such is hack work and commonly now done by people on much lower wages abroad.
    It depends on the kind of work you're doing tbh, a Python programmer working in FinTech can take home six figures. A grunt doing C++ for a game studio is likely to be looking at a P45 sooner rather than later as jobs are outsourced to Asia.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

Then you can write software that auto-translates the foreign languages...

• Options

Foreign language

or

I've taught all manner of people software development, both commercially and at evening classes. It's not particularly difficult to grasp, and once you have one language under your belt, it becomes increasingly easy to learn another.

However, the complexity isn't in the vocabulary (e.g. Java, the most popular commercial language, has 50 reserved words) but the libraries you need to use to accomplish useful things.

We're in a golden age for languages - there are lovely niche languages like Processing (for artists) R (for statisticians) and accessible languages like Python and Ruby.

However, I'd still favour Computer Science over programming. It's a very useful topic. If you're genuinely interested in learning to program, grab an IDE and have a go.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foreign language

or

It depends on the kind of work you're doing tbh, a Python programmer working in FinTech can take home six figures. A grunt doing C++ for a game studio is likely to be looking at a P45 sooner rather than later as jobs are outsourced to Asia.
    All "grunt" coding is in danger of outsourcing, which is why I think learning programming at a very low level (without the computer science ideas) isn't optimal. You can teach yourself to code to a basic language in most languages fairly quickly, it is more difficult and time consuming the mathematical fundamentals behind computer science.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

Except you won't....in order to do so you need to understand some very complex computer science topics.
  • Options
    I love Twitter

History in Moments
    This is a diagram of an explosive chocolate bar that was intended to kill Winston Churchill. https://t.co/hzAYTfJmJ5
  • Options
    John_M said:

Foreign language

or

I've taught all manner of people software development, both commercially and at evening classes. It's not particularly difficult to grasp, and once you have one language under your belt, it becomes increasingly easy to learn another.

However, the complexity isn't in the vocabulary (e.g. Java, the most popular commercial language, has 50 reserved words) but the libraries you need to use to accomplish useful things.

We're in a golden age for languages - there are lovely niche languages like Processing (for artists) R (for statisticians) and accessible languages like Python and Ruby.

However, I'd still favour Computer Science over programming. It's a very useful topic. If you're genuinely interested in learning to program, grab an IDE and have a go.
    At school level, I favour incorporating some sort of coding / Computer Science into maths and science programs. These days it doesn't really matter what science job you will end up doing some sort of coding / interfacing with Matlab / Mathematica / SPSS / etc.
  • Options

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

Except you won't....in order to do so you need to understand some very complex computer science topics.
    Indeed, natural language translation is extremely finicky. Google essentially crowdsource phraseology and translations these days having given up on a machine translator.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @thedailymash: A-level student joins shadow cabinet via clearing https://t.co/GfWPRWOLY7 https://t.co/kgXkREHgAV
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

My hubby regaled me with tales of travels in China and Kazakhstan. All manner of revolting things offered up as 'local delicacies'... as jokes.

I suppose we'd serve raw tripe.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    MaxPB said:

Foreign language

or

That what happened to programmers who worked for a mate of mine. He had a business building applications aimed at SME's, to stay competitive he fired the programmers and outsourced their work to India. He kept the design and testing bit over here though (apparently the Indian firms he used were not good enough at those aspects).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"Experts, listen to us or else".
    I still maintain that Remain failed because they'd no experts in what Leave life looked like.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foreign language

or

That's an interesting question. Computer languages are obviously the future, but they tend to become popular and unpopular very quickly, meaning you'd need to constantly relearn to stay on top.

Probably better leaning Mandarin, don't more than half the world's population speak either that or English?
    Au contraire. People write about trendy languages, but the bread and butter ones persist for decades. Java dates from the mid-90s, still going strong.

Programming languages are like actual languages in that they belong to families e.g. functional, object-oriented, prototyped as the equivalent of Romance, Finno-Ugric etc. There's an awful lot of stealing borrowing of features from other languages.

Ultimately, there are only so many ways to deal with loops, conditionals, threads etc.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Foreign language

or

All "grunt" coding is in danger of outsourcing, which is why I think learning programming at a very low level (without the computer science ideas) isn't optimal. You can teach yourself to code to a basic language in most languages fairly quickly, it is more difficult and time consuming the mathematical fundamentals behind computer science.
    Yes, absolutely right. As I said, someone who just learns Python or Obj-C will have little to no real understanding of the underlying science of programming. I say this as someone who never did ComSci and went into game development after university. There was a lot of learning I had to do, but I think having a physics degree helped a lot, some of the best programmers I know are maths graduates.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

Indeed, natural language translation is extremely finicky. Google essentially crowdsource phraseology and translations these days having given up on a machine translator.
    Its actually a rather smart approach and one that is being copied in a number of fields...rather than trying to hand craft the model, you learn a manifold of the problem from captured data sources.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So it looks like over the next couple of days, China has to get three more gold medals than GB to get second (because we are well ahead in silver medals). We have two guaranteed shots at gold (Adams, hockey) with a further distancing of the silver tally at worst. Gymnastics and wiff waff have finished. So apart from diving, where else are China going to get their golds?

EDIT Damn it - rhythmic gymnastics still to come! That must be one where the Chinese excel? And badminton....
  • Options

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

The reason that machine learning is taking off is that the large tech companies are providing libraries that you can use to develop pretty sophisticated software. Standing on the shoulders of giants etc.

I don't need to write software for computer vision, or language parsing. Someone's already done it and put it on Github.
  • Options

I would recommend learning JavaScript.

It is used in browsers and servers (node.js). Object-oriented, well designed, extensible, and has the ability to treat functions as variables which gives amazing flexibility.

And you can start simply with it.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

James Hallwood
    I love @jadejonestkd's bio. She's now the Olympic champion head kicker, doing #TeamGB proud! https://t.co/Zs6w6hjMuK

IMO, she should have got extra points for the Axe kick in the final....I wouldn't fancy spilling her pint!
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sandpit said:

Foreign language

or

Au contraire. People write about trendy languages, but the bread and butter ones persist for decades. Java dates from the mid-90s, still going strong.

Programming languages are like actual languages in that they belong to families e.g. functional, object-oriented, prototyped as the equivalent of Romance, Finno-Ugric etc. There's an awful lot of stealing borrowing of features from other languages.

Ultimately, there are only so many ways to deal with loops, conditionals, threads etc.
    Mandarin dates from 1324 and is still going very strong. :)

And leaning Mandarin will help with managing the guy who's writing the code 20 years from now!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My gf made me try a polenta pizza in Milan recently. It felt like a wasted meal, literally no taste.
    I looked at polenta and thought it looked like dense yellow carbo stodge. Like potatoes without any nuance or flavour.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Foreign language

or

Computer programming.

The reason that machine learning is taking off is that the large tech companies are providing libraries that you can use to develop pretty sophisticated software. Standing on the shoulders of giants etc.

I don't need to write software for computer vision, or language parsing. Someone's already done it and put it on Github.
    Hmmmm...yes and no e.g. many computer vision tasks are far from solved, so what you grab off github or the function you use from OpenCV is only "so" good. And if you don't understand how they work, you will never be able to consider how to improve upon them.

Good luck with your translation app from publicly sourced code....it will be s##t.

And things like Tensorflow for ML from google will only get you so far and you need to understand the science behind ML.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    John_M said:

Foreign language

or

I'd certainly agree about the libraries. Most of the jobs I see these days (I rarely look anymore) seem to be very specifically demanding about Windows library environment, IDE, C# etc etc.
  • Options

It is used in browsers and servers (node.js). Object-oriented, well designed, extensible, and has the ability to treat functions as variables which gives amazing flexibility.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than learn JavaScript. Python would be my recommendation.
  • Options
    For all us politics / psephology geeks here on PB a brilliant set of Brexit referendum maps:

https://medium.com/@jakeybob/brexit-maps-d70caab7315e#.6kouekuj6

Enjoy
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

So it looks like over the next couple of days, China has to get three more gold medals than GB to get second (because we are well ahead in silver medals). We have two guaranteed shots at gold (Adams, hockey) with a further distancing of the silver tally at worst. Gymnastics and wiff waff have finished. So apart from diving, where else are China going to get their golds?

EDIT Damn it - rhythmic gymnastics still to come! That must be one where the Chinese excel? And badminton....

Men's 10m platform this evening, Tom Daley in with a chance of a medal, China too IIRC.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Foreign language

or

Neither. Foreigners invariably speak English, and frankly we are so appalling at teaching foreign languages that anyone who wants to learn one should just go and live abroad for six months, if that is still allowed after Brexit. And though most jobs use computers, very few need program them.

Spreadsheets. That's what the kids need to learn. The misuse and abuse of spreadsheets is rife and people need to have at least the basics. Accountants might use them to tot up cash balances but for everyone else they are used for tables, project-planning, ad hoc databases and probably even pictures of cats. It is all wrong but spreadsheets are ubiquitous.
  • Options

Foreign language

or

My job originally was as a software developer, but my educational background is in languages. I am actually a good programmer and enjoy the creativity of it. There's an elegance to a well crafted piece of code, just as there is to a piece of prose. The difference is that a competent programmer can pick up a new language straight away. The time investment is in understanding the system the software is deployed into. But it's no good being fluent in French if the person you are trying to converse with is German. It takes years to get one language to a decent standard.
  • Options
    @George_Osborne: After all these years, I finally have a front page in the Daily Mirror worth keeping
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than learn JavaScript. Python would be my recommendation.

Only someone who didn't understand JS would write that :smile:

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    MaxPB said:

Nah, Pascal is the one.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Foreign language

or

Foreign language. It'll help with programming because programming languages are languages. Schools have quite a bit of experience at teaching foreign languages and less at teaching programming, and if you can't teach yourself programming then it's not for you.
  • Options
    Linguistic/gender point but in the thread title it says "Mrs. May's ..." which is quite formal. Normally Cameron, Brown, Blair etc are referred to as such and without the formal Mr. in front of their name.

Maybe a subconscious issue or maybe I've just not noticed it in the past but why refer to her title but not others? Is it because she's new, a woman, or has a name that is a also month (though having a name that is a colour didn't seem to be an issue when referring to Brown).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for our train fans

Owen Smith
    "Isambard Kingdom Brunel wld look at our trains and he'd recognise them because they haven't changed since he built them- we need to invest"

If being a flaming idiot was an Olympic sport we could send these two chumps and bag another Gold and Silver medal.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Foreign language

or

My job originally was as a software developer, but my educational background is in languages. I am actually a good programmer and enjoy the creativity of it. There's an elegance to a well crafted piece of code, just as there is to a piece of prose. The difference is that a competent programmer can pick up a new language straight away. The time investment is in understanding the system the software is deployed into. But it's no good being fluent in French if the person you are trying to converse with is German. It takes years to get one language to a decent standard.
    That is another problem with languages: there are so many of them. Every day I speak to colleagues in five other countries and English is the lingua franca because the Germans can't speak French and the Italians can't speak German.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

And if you want to learn Python, and host a Python-backed, website can I recommend the excellent:

https://www.pythonanywhere.com/

(I may have a small financial interest in it.)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

For all us politics / psephology geeks here on PB a brilliant set of Brexit referendum maps:

https://medium.com/@jakeybob/brexit-maps-d70caab7315e#.6kouekuj6

Enjoy

Superb!
  • Options
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for our train fans

Owen Smith

If being a flaming idiot was an Olympic sport we could send these two chumps and bag another Gold and Silver medal.
    Nah....unfortunately Brazil Olympic organizers have the gold wrapped up. They would be certs for Silver and Bronze though.
  • Options
    I once knew a teacher of French who dabbled in import/export. He said that success depended on 1. A well designed product 2. A competitive price 3. Delivering on time. Speaking the language of the customer came nowhere.
  • Options
    I'm having flashbacks to Ars 10 years ago (probably still the same).
  • Options
    glw said:

They would both be DQed for "performance enhancing drugs"
  • Options

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for our train fans

Owen Smith

Nah....unfortunately Brazil Olympic organizers have the gold wrapped up. They would be certs for Silver and Bronze though.
    I think the US swimmers are competitive for the Silver though!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Men's 10m platform this evening, Tom Daley in with a chance of a medal, China too IIRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37085511

Here's the BBC's take on the battle for second.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for our train fans

Owen Smith

I think the US swimmers are competitive for the Silver though!
    Your right....we will have to remove Jez and Owen's lottery funding for not being idiotic enough on a world level.
  • Options

Foreign language

or

Neither. Foreigners invariably speak English, and frankly we are so appalling at teaching foreign languages that anyone who wants to learn one should just go and live abroad for six months, if that is still allowed after Brexit. And though most jobs use computers, very few need program them.

Spreadsheets. That's what the kids need to learn. The misuse and abuse of spreadsheets is rife and people need to have at least the basics. Accountants might use them to tot up cash balances but for everyone else they are used for tables, project-planning, ad hoc databases and probably even pictures of cats. It is all wrong but spreadsheets are ubiquitous.
    I m going to make a plea for a (short) course in philosophy. People in this country don't know how to turn out an argument. Say a staff member wants a new piece of equipment. They will attempt to justify it with facts - how much it costs; how many gigabytes it has; what connections it has etc. But they won't attempt to persuade on the benefits: I can save this amount of time; it takes the stress out of my job and you get a happier employee; it allows us to provide a more reliable service - or whatever
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

MaxPB said:

Nah, Pascal is the one.
    There are any number of completely terrible application specific programming languages that only exist because some poorly managed senior dev let his ego run away with itself.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, Wehrlein is highly regarded.

Mind you, Haryanto really exceed expectations.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited August 2016

Linguistic/gender point but in the thread title it says "Mrs. May's ..." which is quite formal. Normally Cameron, Brown, Blair etc are referred to as such and without the formal Mr. in front of their name.

Maybe a subconscious issue or maybe I've just not noticed it in the past but why refer to her title but not others? Is it because she's new, a woman, or has a name that is a also month (though having a name that is a colour didn't seem to be an issue when referring to Brown).

It's an editorial decision Mike and I made, because may is also a modal verb, so it can lead to problems/confusion, that's why we try and not use May on its own.
  • Options
    taffys said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37085511

Here's the BBC's take on the battle for second.

Today's whole schedule

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/schedule/2016-08-19
  • Options

It's an editorial decision Mike and I made, because may is also a modal verb, so it can lead to problems, that's why we try and not use May on its own.

Is a good point. But you could use "PM May" instead?

• Options

It's an editorial decision Mike and I made, because may is also a modal verb, so it can lead to problems, that's why we try and not use May on its own.

Is a good point. But you could use "PM May" instead?

Is a work in progress, think of the thread when there's talk of an early election

Mrs May may call an early election
  • Options

Partly also that no-one really knows who the Prime Minister is. Theresa May was Home Secretary for six or seven years where she achieved damn all, then reached Number 10 just as Parliament went into recess. May is not just a month but has other common meanings, so that is out. If I were a tabloid editor, I'd try running with Tess in headlines.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    FF43 said:

Foreign language

or

I m going to make a plea for a (short) course in philosophy. People in this country don't know how to turn out an argument. Say a staff member wants a new piece of equipment. They will attempt to justify it with facts - how much it costs; how many gigabytes it has; what connections it has etc. But they won't attempt to persuade on the benefits: I can save this amount of time; it takes the stress out of my job and you get a happier employee; it allows us to provide a more reliable service - or whatever
    I'd add to that that a lot of actual practical programming work is about turning vague ideas and problems expressed in human language into something specific enough to express in formal logic. I think philosophy is much better preparation for this than either maths or Computer Science.
This discussion has been closed.