Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s by-elections. SNP and LAB both win and lose a s

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Perhaps Labour will ultimately be extinguished through the financial burden of a PPE-style mis-selling scandal.

UKIP will have their work cut out to top this for a leadership election farce.

Presumably you mean PPI...not PPE!

(Corbyn didn't qualify for Oxford, despite his two Es at A level)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,758

Perhaps Labour will ultimately be extinguished through the financial burden of a PPE-style mis-selling scandal.

PPE mis-selling - typo of the day!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

BBC - Labour has won an appeal against a High Court ruling that allowed new members a vote in its leadership contest. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37057589

Bored now - this leadership contest reminds me of Crossroads after Noele Gordon left.

I'm hoping the 5 appeal to Supreme Court - they can't stop now! :lol:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Tremble, lesser nations, at our unrivalled prowess at the sitting down sports!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,143
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy crap

The Daily Beast has removed the article, which provoked widespread criticism for containing specific details about closeted athletes, including their nationalities.

It is believed at least one of the athletes referred to in the piece is from a country where homosexuality is illegal.

Straight journalist Nico Hines used the gay dating app Grindr to meet homosexual athletes in the Olympic village.

The article was later removed by editor John Avlon, before an apology appeared on the website.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/12/news-website-says-sorry-for-article-outing-gay-olympians-6063743/#ixzz4H7jdBiVS

It's easy to forget how illiberal the world is - even the USA isn't _that_ keen on LGBT folk. As my favourite author says "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

So who would you rate higher, Gibson or Stephenson? Snow Crash was a real eye opener for me when I read it back in 1992 at the suggestion of a friend who had set up a company to create photorealistic avatars. I find Stephenson's work high on amazing ideas, but ultimately failing as literature.

I know of Neuromancer but have not read it or other of Gibson's works.
    The early Stephenson novels are usually awesome... Right up until the end. Man, that guy can't write endings.

That being said, I very much enjoyed Seveneves. I think it'll be the first work of his I've reread since The Diamond Age.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,644
    edited August 2016
    Harsh

Breaking: Permission to appeal in Supreme Court is refused

Court of Appeal also orders five new Labour members to pay costs in 28 days

That's 30k in 28 days.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,143

John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy crap

The Daily Beast has removed the article, which provoked widespread criticism for containing specific details about closeted athletes, including their nationalities.

It is believed at least one of the athletes referred to in the piece is from a country where homosexuality is illegal.

Straight journalist Nico Hines used the gay dating app Grindr to meet homosexual athletes in the Olympic village.

The article was later removed by editor John Avlon, before an apology appeared on the website.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/12/news-website-says-sorry-for-article-outing-gay-olympians-6063743/#ixzz4H7jdBiVS

It's easy to forget how illiberal the world is - even the USA isn't _that_ keen on LGBT folk. As my favourite author says "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

So who would you rate higher, Gibson or Stephenson? Snow Crash was a real eye opener for me when I read it back in 1992 at the suggestion of a friend who had set up a company to create photorealistic avatars. I find Stephenson's work high on amazing ideas, but ultimately failing as literature.

The Neuromancer trilogy is a must read, though you'd have to treat them as historical novels now. Reading the first in '85 was mind blowing. Gibson is a far better writer, but Stephenson is more entertaining (though he desperately needs a stronger editor).

I love, love, love Cryptonomicon (while accepting it's an acquired taste), but Neuromancer is much the better novel.

If you'll allow me to digress & recommend others- Charlie Stross's Accelerando is a valiant failure that attempts to deal with the the Singularity., while Ted Chiang is my current favourite. I believe 'Story of your Life' is being made into a film.
    Neal Stephenson's novels are great but he can't do endings. The finish to Cryptonomicon is a real let-down.
    The finish to The Diamond Age is rubbish too.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 843
    Labour BEC win appeal. Will the members go to the Supreme Court?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Harsh

That is very harsh indeed.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 843
    Sorry NEC not BEC
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

How can there have been six rounds in a six candidate election and four rounds in a four candidate election?

The sixth round is when there is only one candidate left, and they're given the preference votes from the candidate in second place. There would be two rounds even if there were only two candidates!

Seems a bit pointless to me, but there you have it.
    Surely once you reach the round where you only have two candidates left then one has a majority already? Unless they tied and it was decided by drawing lots etc
    I agree!! But this sets it all out for the six-rounder from yesterday...

http://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/Documents/CorporateServices/ChiefExecutive/Communications/Election-ResultsWard-1---Irvine-WestBreakdown.pdf
    It seems they're counting "non-transferable votes" as a valid option, hence making it seven candidates and no majority reached in round 5.

However what happens then if round 6 had been won by "non-transferable votes"? If more SNP votes had not listed Labour as next preference that would have happened.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,195

LOL! That one would have to be a class action suit on behalf of the public.
  • Options

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

That seems unbelievably punitive, especially when they won the first court case. Any chance the Supreme Court will hear the case even with permission refused?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Blimey – Team Pommey bastards leap-frogs over the Aussies into 4th - Hah, take that..
  • Options

Blimey – Team Pommey bastards leap-frogs over the Aussies into 4th - Hah, take that..

Its verrrry close

*bites nails*
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

Ben
    Farage has grown a tash.. https://t.co/kQ4Lahi2Yj

A so he should, his upper lip always looked like it needed one. He could cope with a full walrus but he must not let it get too wide as he seems to be doing in that picture.

Tricky things to get right are moustaches. I let my new barber trim mine the other day, out went the walrus and in came a nicely shaped and well clipped job as one would expect to see on a Turkish gentleman. Herself was not happy, not happy at all and has forbidden me meeting any of her friends until it has grown back.
  • Options

Are we ahead of France? That's the true benchmark for glory.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

Heart of stone, etc, etc.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

That seems unbelievably punitive, especially when they won the first court case. Any chance the Supreme Court will hear the case even with permission refused?
    By right they can ask...!

Haven't seen the judgment.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

GB - 4th
    FR - 11th

:-)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Men's four, rowing gold. Again...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy crap

The Neuromancer trilogy is a must read, though you'd have to treat them as historical novels now. Reading the first in '85 was mind blowing. Gibson is a far better writer, but Stephenson is more entertaining (though he desperately needs a stronger editor).

I love, love, love Cryptonomicon (while accepting it's an acquired taste), but Neuromancer is much the better novel.

If you'll allow me to digress & recommend others- Charlie Stross's Accelerando is a valiant failure that attempts to deal with the the Singularity., while Ted Chiang is my current favourite. I believe 'Story of your Life' is being made into a film.
    Neal Stephenson's novels are great but he can't do endings. The finish to Cryptonomicon is a real let-down.
    Suffice to say Stephenson has yet to write a novel with a satisfactory ending, and I've read them all, even Zodiac.
  • Options
    Interesting

@georgeeaton: Some Owen Smith supporters were hopeful that 130,000 could favour them. Small chance of upset reduced.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,473

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

So, where does this leave the vote?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

A so he should, his upper lip always looked like it needed one. He could cope with a full walrus but he must not let it get too wide as he seems to be doing in that picture.

Tricky things to get right are moustaches. I let my new barber trim mine the other day, out went the walrus and in came a nicely shaped and well clipped job as one would expect to see on a Turkish gentleman. Herself was not happy, not happy at all and has forbidden me meeting any of her friends until it has grown back.
    I thought he needed a bit of wax on the tips. I think they're like fringes. Get them the teeniest bit wrong and it totally changes the shape/impact. I hated my hubby's when he clipped it to lip shape - looked all weird and thankfully grew back quickly.
  • Options

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

I know they can ask but is the Supreme Court likely to agree to hear it with permission denied was my question.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,473

Interesting

@georgeeaton: Some Owen Smith supporters were hopeful that 130,000 could favour them. Small chance of upset reduced.

This really is all becoming very confusing. I guess we'll never know now which way these supporters would vote.
  • Options

Gave up counting after 10th place :lol: but France is below Italy – that’s how bad it is for them.
  • Options

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

Others will know better than me but in days of yore an appeal to the House of Lords could only be made if there was an important point of public law at issue. That is to say only with the permission of the Court of Appeal.

A.P. Herbert, well known satirist of the legal profession, once wrote a short story in which a judge refused to hear a case because it would inevitably got to appeal, so what was the point of wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,974
    edited August 2016
    First world record on the track about to go in the women's 10,000m. 23 year old record.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,457

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

waitaminute

Ex-HMF....moustache....

You are Windsor Davies!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Sunshine, Olympic success, holidays, Labour self harming... suddenly the Brexit Blues seem a long time ago.

We'll be apples.

Apparently, after a terrible June, we're having a bumper, record-breaking tourist season in the Wye Valley. Weather is absolutely beautiful.

I schlepped off to bed before I saw your post last night. The Moon at Garway is my local pub. It's just beautiful up there, with the Templar church for that added frisson of historical dark deeds.
  • Options

Only one gold behind Japan for 3rd now, and far more silvers...
  • Options

Gave up counting after 10th place :lol: but France is below Italy – that’s how bad it is for them.
    What sports are Italians/French known for? I instinctively thought of equestrian events, but could be totally wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Feel sorry for YouGov.

They had a poll in the field that got binned because of the original court ruling.

They then did a new poll which has to be binned because of today's appellate court decision.
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    A copy of the judgment of the Court of Appeal is at https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/evangelou-v-mcnicol-appeal-judgment-20160812.pdf

It's obviously correct. If you join a rule-based membership organisation, the contract terms are set by the rules, and you have no right to have the rules frozen at the moment when you joined.

The Court of Appeal is unanimous and I suspect the Supreme Court won't give leave to appeal.

This should give cover to Ian McNicol. If he'd lost, he would have been heavily criticised for appealing the original judgment in favour of the new members. As it is, he's been vindicated. All he did was to uphold the powers of the NEC, which the Court of Appeal has now confirmed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What sports are Italians/French known for? I instinctively thought of equestrian events, but could be totally wrong.
    The font of all knowledge has comprehensive records:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_at_the_Olympics#Medals_by_summer_sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_at_the_Olympics#Medals_by_summer_sport
  • Options

Interesting

This really is all becoming very confusing. I guess we'll never know now which way these supporters would vote.
    That is the critical point. Who's to know whether those new members rose up as one at the thought of a Jezza-led Lab and vowed to stop him...or were all Woolfies waiting to seize the day.

It's likely a zero mean and they were 50:50 but as you say we'll never know.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

France aren't in the top 10...
  • Options

Only one gold behind Japan for 3rd now, and far more silvers...
    Soon the Brazilians will know which way up our flag goes. It's about 50/50 guesswork so far :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the postwar era, and until the UK upped its Olympic game in the late 90s, Italy and France would nearly always finish above us in the medals table. Sometimes way above us e.g. Atlanta

See here. France 5th, Italy 6th, Britain.... 36th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
    As others have said, it was likely that John Major can take the credit due to his decision to create the National Lottery in '93.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    It is brilliant to see GB 4th!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    TOPPING said:

Interesting

That is the critical point. Who's to know whether those new members rose up as one at the thought of a Jezza-led Lab and vowed to stop him...or were all Woolfies waiting to seize the day.

It's likely a zero mean and they were 50:50 but as you say we'll never know.
    I suspect the overwhelming majority signed up as registered voters anyway, I don't think it makes a big difference.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,095

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Are you quietly enjoying yourself Mr L, or regretting the development?

I grew a full set once and my wife hated it. Said it was bristly, and was glad when I eventually went back to being clean shaven..

Grandson one however had grown one and his girl-friend says it’s silky and she likes him even more.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

The font of all knowledge has comprehensive records:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_at_the_Olympics#Medals_by_summer_sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_at_the_Olympics#Medals_by_summer_sport
    Three croquet golds :love:

Only France completed !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_at_the_1900_Summer_Olympics
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,703
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the postwar era, and until the UK upped its Olympic game in the late 90s, Italy and France would nearly always finish above us in the medals table. Sometimes way above us e.g. Atlanta

We should count the gold won by Hong Kong for sailing, at the time still one of our colonies.

That would have taken us to 29th.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

How about boules? The French, anyway! Don’t they have the silver for cricket, too?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

As others have said, it was likely that John Major can take the credit due to his decision to create the National Lottery in '93.
    Yep. And New Labour investment in sport, to be fair
    You Tory!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy crap

Some of those numbers are surprising (on either side of the divide).
    I wouldn't want to be gay in Nigeria.
    I have good news for you!
    ;-)
  • Options
    On the US Senate front a Dem majority has got to be odds on now i'd imagine.

Of the toss-ups, they look good to pick up: IL,WI,NH,IN,PA,NV - OH,FL,NC looking less good but 6 pick ups is more than enough.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

We wouldn't have been awarded the 2012 Olympics had it not been for Tony Blair (and Tessa Jowell)

Is one of the reasons I've not been able to get involved in this year's Olympics. I was emotionally involved with London 2012 and went to a few events.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Holy shit. Almaz Ayana just broke the Olympic 5000m record. It was during the second half of her 10000m world record..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

FPT @ Sean Fear - looking at the huge Leave vote in Stoke (almost 70%) and the dicey position of Labour from GE2015, I could see Labour losing all three Stoke seats at the next general election.

Including Tristam Hunt.

Stoke South, and Newcastle-under-Lyme now look as if they're marginal seats, and Stoke North may well be soon. All three were retained by Labour even in 1983.
    I lived in Newcastle-under-Lyme in 2004, it was a safe seat Labour was winning by nearly 30 points. I find it absolutely remarkable to believe it could be a marginal now.
    The shifts in voting in some seats between 2001-15 were extraordinary.
    It should be a straw in the wind.

In the long term, other than the memory of the Jarrow March and the miners strike, I can see little logic behind any assumption that says Labour will definitely hold onto its core north-east, welsh valley and Yorkshire seats come hell or high water either.
  • Options
    Well done to Almaz Ayana, completely obliterated the world record in the 10k, 14 seconds faster than has ever been run before.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

I grew a full set once and my wife hated it. Said it was bristly, and was glad when I eventually went back to being clean shaven..

Grandson one however had grown one and his girl-friend says it’s silky and she likes him even more.
    Wife of a friend of mine says she will never sleep with him again, if he ever shaves off his stubble.

Relatedly, 3-5mm of stubble is said by researchers to be the most sexually desirable facial hair growth in men, for women. Full beards and taches are seen as TOO masculine, clean-shaven is seen as not masculine enough. But DYOR
    Sadly, at my age, the best I can hope for is a beard which I can stroke as an aid to looking wise!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Blair winning the 2012 Olympics for London (over Paris) is a huge factor in our success. Only he could have pulled it off.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

German Federal and Criminal Police (BKA) documents last month revealed that there are 45,120 Islamists living in Germany. Of these, 1,100 have been identified by police as members of the country’s “terrorist scene” and another 499 classified as “troublemakers”.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/08/11/germany-raids-islamist-preachers/

So they have identified 1100. How do they know about the other precise 44,020 ? Sounds like our £350m for the NHS per week. Just pluck something out of thin air !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Wife of a friend of mine says she will never sleep with him again, if he ever shaves off his stubble.

Relatedly, 3-5mm of stubble is said by researchers to be the most sexually desirable facial hair growth in men, for women. Full beards and taches are seen as TOO masculine, clean-shaven is seen as not masculine enough. But DYOR
    Ahh - the stubble is on his chin!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

We wouldn't have been awarded the 2012 Olympics had it not been for Tony Blair (and Tessa Jowell)

Is one of the reasons I've not been able to get involved in this year's Olympics. I was emotionally involved with London 2012 and went to a few events.
    I'm into this Olympics now, and not just coz we're winning medals. It's fun. I've remembered how fun it is.

Of course it won't match London. An Olympics in my home city. It was amazing.

But Rio is still very enjoyable.
    We could win more medals in Rio at a fraction of the costs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

waitaminute

Ex-HMF....moustache....

You are Windsor Davies!
    Alas no, Mr. Topping, I couldn't cope with the waxed tips.

My moustache came about because I contracted Chicken Pox and was therefore give permission to stop shaving for two weeks. At the end of that period the beard came off but the moustache stayed.

Please bear in mind that in the sixties and seventies moustaches were much more common than they are today and in tightly hierarchical organisation were a way of harmless rebellion. Keeping one's moustache long/drooping just enough that the RSM didn't like it but could actually do anything about it was something of an art form.

Once, when I was courting Herself, I lost a bet with her and my forfeit was to remove the 'tash. She took one look at me and told me to grow it again, urgently.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Holy shit. Almaz Ayana just broke the Olympic 5000m record. It was during the second half of her 10000m world record..

https://twitter.com/benbloomsport/status/764112367961726976

:)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well done to Almaz Ayana, completely obliterated the world record in the 10k, 14 seconds faster than has ever been run before.

Surely many men have run faster?
  • Options
    Factoid - The 1908 Summer Olympics, featured "water motorsports" – it was the only year competitors could be pushed along whilst sitting down. – The French won Gold natch…
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'm into this Olympics now, and not just coz we're winning medals. It's fun. I've remembered how fun it is.

More medals than 2012 would be a huge stretch and an incredible achievement.

I'm not getting that excited. Yet.

But with 6 golds now that's already more than every post-war Olympics except 1956 (6, 7 silver), 2000 (11), 2004 (9), 2008 (19) and 2012 (29).

Even getting close to 2008 would be a massive achievement.
  • Options
    Right, advice please.

Wife and I looking at a property tomorrow. We both really like the look of it. It's a 5 bed and way cheaper than it should be - on for £550k but should be around £600k (it was on for sale in 2012 at 495k and failed to sell) and been with present owner since 1996.

Estate agent didn't flinch when I said I couldn't beat £525k and we got a viewing on Sat at a time of our choice with two days notice. It's been on the market since early Feb. Kitchen is small and internally the space could be used better, but I'm astonished it hasn't shifted yet.

What's wrong with it? What should I ask?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

I think it was Russian doping that was putting me off and the limp wristed therein.

Plus I don't I'll have a better experience moment than women's beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade, a true spiritual Olympic moment.
  • Options

Factoid - The 1908 Summer Olympics, featured "water motorsports" – it was the only year competitors could be pushed along whilst sitting down. – The French won Gold natch…

Was that the year the Met Police team won the Tug of War?
  • Options

Motorboating and watersports, eh.

Paging TSE.
  • Options
    GB has golds in five sports which matches the US and China for most so far.
  • Options

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Sadly, at my age, the best I can hope for is a beard which I can stroke as an aid to looking wise!
    I was going to make a dirty joke about the sort of beards I'm stroking at my age are very definitely not my own.

But that would be inappropriate.
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Wife and I looking at a property tomorrow. We both really like the look of it. It's a 5 bed and way cheaper than it should be - on for £550k but should be around £600k (it was on for sale in 2012 at 495k and failed to sell) and been with present owner since 1996.

Estate agent didn't flinch when I said I couldn't beat £525k and we got a viewing on Sat at a time of our choice with two days notice. It's been on the market since early Feb. Kitchen is small and internally the space could be used better, but I'm astonished it hasn't shifted yet.

Neighbours?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,146
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

The discussion below about the resurgence in British Olympic sports got me thinking: do we get a lot of bang for the buck with these results (i.e. is it worth the money spent), and are there any lessons that can be applied to business and/or government?

I've always thought that government (or any large organisation) find it hard to pick winners. Yet the Olympic sports pick talent and nurture them into winners. Could the same be done with some small companies?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Right, advice please.

Get a mining report/full conveyancing done, also check it isn't near a train track.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

Is that when Dave says he'd campaign to leave the EU?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Cheese eating.
  • Options

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

I was going to make a dirty joke about the sort of beards I'm stroking at my age are very definitely not my own.

But that would be inappropriate.
    Wait until you see the pun/innuendo I've got lined up for Sunday.

One of my all time best.
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Anyone murdered there? Neighbour problems?
  • Options

Anorak said:

https://twitter.com/benbloomsport/status/764112367961726976
    :)
    Ha, hope they measured it right!

Shame that only a fraction of the seats were occupied to watch Almaz smash the world record.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, to be fair, ours is pretty tricky. Getting the US flag upside down is rather more difficult :p

King Cole, 1908?
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Structure? Neighbours? Divorce (once bought a property for a song as husband was determined to shaft wife in settlement)? Local developments (once viewed a house that was about to have a coal merchants next door)?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Cheese eating.
    The rapid retreat.
  • Options

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

The discussion below about the resurgence in British Olympic sports got me thinking: do we get a lot of bang for the buck with these results (i.e. is it worth the money spent), and are there any lessons that can be applied to business and/or government?

I've always thought that government (or any large organisation) find it hard to pick winners. Yet the Olympic sports pick talent and nurture them into winners. Could the same be done with some small companies?
    Lottery funding is wot did it !
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Troublesome neighbours.
  • Options

Miss Plato, to be fair, ours is pretty tricky. Getting the US flag upside down is rather more difficult :p

King Cole, 1908?

Or Lebanon...
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

Right, advice please.

Indian burial ground?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Harsh

That's 30k in 28 days.

Does seem somewhat unreasonable that the costs award will have been ramped up due to the apparently incorrect ruling of a lower court.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

I can never be happy when herself is grumpy with me, Mr. Cole. So back to the walrus it shall be.

My son has a full set, and it is bright red (God knows where those genes come from) and he doesn't seem to have any trouble with the ladies. I think the trick is to let it grow long enough, I tried when I retired and Herself demanded I shave off before it reached the silky stage. Maybe take yourself off to a religious retreat for a month or so.

Incidentally if anyone is still shaving every day, might I recommend the services of the Bearded Colonel. Best razor blades, and closest shave I have ever had outside a barbers shop and delivered at a very reasonable price to your door.

https://beardedcolonel.co.uk/?c=gb50&gclid=CI7ckrOUvM4CFecV0wodfSoJdA&ast=gBPM2f
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, aye, attendance is pretty poor.
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Get a mining report/full conveyancing done, also check it isn't near a train track.
    Some PBers would pay extra if it was near a train track!
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Ask if a previous survey is available to see.

Get a full survey of your own before signing any contract.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Interesting to see how many medals we have sucked in from the rest of Europe and that's with a poor road cycling return.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Right, advice please.

Was someone murdered there?

Maybe it's in the catchment area of a poor school. Especially if it's not detached, check up on neighbours and neighbour disputes. Is it near a noisy/smelly business or entertainment venue? Road with cuthrough traffic? Planning permissions for something that would affect it?

Make an offer, contingent on get a full survey done. Back out if it comes back with problems. If it's been on the market for that time and it's okay, they should accept conditions on any offer I would think.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Just seen this 10k record. The previous record was an obvious product of doping, back when doping meant pushing north of 50% Hcrit, so colour me sceptical to see anyone easily beat it without assistance.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy crap

I don't think I actually finished Snow Crash. I got turned off with about 50 pages to go. Extremely unusual for me - I make a point of reading to the bitter end. So, I agree - Stephenson does not do endings.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

waitaminute

Ex-HMF....moustache....

You are Windsor Davies!
    Alas no, Mr. Topping, I couldn't cope with the waxed tips.

My moustache came about because I contracted Chicken Pox and was therefore give permission to stop shaving for two weeks. At the end of that period the beard came off but the moustache stayed.

Please bear in mind that in the sixties and seventies moustaches were much more common than they are today and in tightly hierarchical organisation were a way of harmless rebellion. Keeping one's moustache long/drooping just enough that the RSM didn't like it but could actually do anything about it was something of an art form.

Once, when I was courting Herself, I lost a bet with her and my forfeit was to remove the 'tash. She took one look at me and told me to grow it again, urgently.
    Pretty good cross-section of 'taches here. Sure you've seen this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrSyNFTdSw
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

After years of absence from the top, France is back in Eventing, but still far off in Dressage. Don't know about Showjumping.

Isn't France usually good at judo and karate, kayaking and sailing?
  • Options

Right, advice please.

Don't go near it, Mr Royale, don't touch it with a barge pole. If there is one thing I have learned in my journey through this vale of tears is that something appears to be too good to be true (or too cheap), it is. Why did it fail to sell in 2012? A dang good reason, I'll bet. Stay away from it.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Right, advice please.

Structure? Neighbours? Divorce (once bought a property for a song as husband was determined to shaft wife in settlement)? Local developments (once viewed a house that was about to have a coal merchants next door)?
    Future planning permissions - highways, industrial estates, low-cost housing - or easements. Looked at properties in Florida and found out you have to be aware of geology and sink hole potential. In the Eastern Shore of VA you have to check the stated acreage is actually all land, not creek.
This discussion has been closed.