Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting moves to Hillary following post convention poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting moves to Hillary following post convention polling boosts

The WH2016 betting moves Clinton's way following the spate of good post convention polls pic.twitter.com/uPZD8WkUSd

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Devilish first?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It still doesn;t seem to be the done deal that some on here have expressed in recent days.
  • Options
    Second like the Romans at Cannae:

Battle was 2,232 years ago today.
  • Options
    Did I mention the new fantasy football PB league is up again...
  • Options

Second like the Romans at Cannae:

Battle was 2,232 years ago today.

Corbyn counting... Actually thats post 753,268 and still the bbc don't cover it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132

Devilish first?

Maybe Trump should add Cliff Richard's 'Devil Woman' to his repertoire of 'poetry'.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Linky linky? Or don't you want to be beat again?
  • Options
    I saw somewhere that Cameron may be the first PM to resign whilst ahead in the polls - is that true?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good afternoon, everyone.

When will the US results come in? Given the time zones, might it be at a civilised hour for those of us in Blighty?
  • Options
    F1: the kidnap culprit appears to be one of Ecclestone's helicopter pilots:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36951550

• Options

His mother-in-law is young enough to be his daughter.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, I, for one, am surprised to hear the octogenarian billionaire has a substantially younger wife.
  • Options

When will the US results come in? Given the time zones, might it be at a civilised hour for those of us in Blighty?

In November?

Exit polls will start past midnight and results into the morning I believe.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

In November?

Exit polls will start past midnight and results into the morning I believe.
    Contemplating taking the next day off work. I regret not doing that for the referendum...
  • Options
    Clinton v Trump graph looks a bit like REMAIN v LEAVE prior to Referendum night?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I saw somewhere that Cameron may be the first PM to resign whilst ahead in the polls - is that true?

If he was to wait till he was behind in the poles, and Coyben keeps his job, he may have had to stay in the job for some time!
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, cheers. I'll just see how they are in the morning, then.

Mr. Quidder, the first hour, with no proper exit poll and just mood music, was quite odd. Swung from great Remain optimism to doubt, and then the first results made for grim reading for that camp.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I don't know about the polls, but Cameron resignation came about as a result of a unique circumstance that was not entirely unexpected.

Wilson's resignation, however, came as a bolt out of the blue. I remember being in barracks at the time, we were getting changed after some activity or other and one of the chaps had the wireless on and the announcement was made on the news. All twelve of us crowded around this small transistor radio wondering what the effect of Wilson going would be and why he had resigned. I remember the sense of shock.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

ISTR that Jochen Rindt's daughter was Ecclestone's private plane pilot for many years.

Ecclestone and Rindt wre firm friends, and he was devastated when he died.

He's willing to help a friend's daughter out, yet he alegedly has virtually nothing to do with his first daughter, Deborah.

Odd man.
  • Options

Mr. Rabbit, cheers. I'll just see how they are in the morning, then.

Mr. Quidder, the first hour, with no proper exit poll and just mood music, was quite odd. Swung from great Remain optimism to doubt, and then the first results made for grim reading for that camp.

Romney conceded at 6 AM our time.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Under orders from Bernie? :D
  • Options

I was in charge of PB on election night in 2012.

The early results came out around 1am to 2am and we had a constant stream from then on.

I think we got the winner confirmed around 4am.

Curiously some states and media report state results whilst the polls are still open in said state.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Rabbit, the best defeat was Balls, who had the grace to have a recount so the final result was ready just as I settled down at the computer.

Mr. 86, not the first kidnap in F1 history.

I think Fangio was kidnapped ahead of the Cuban Grand Prix by those opposed to Batista[sp]. He was allowed to watch the race, had a relatively nice time, and was then returned after the race was done, safe and sound.

Mr. Jessop, quite.

Edited extra bit: cheers for that info, Mr. Eagles.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

ISTR that Jochen Rindt's daughter was Ecclestone's private plane pilot for many years.

He's willing to help a friend's daughter out, yet he alegedly has virtually nothing to do with his first daughter, Deborah.

Odd man.
    Mr. Jessop, you are back, Huzzah! I hope your recovery is continuing apace and all is well with your family. Sadly you have missed the, brief, conversations today about trains and engineering.
  • Options
    Alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36951783
  • Options
    From 2012, an interesting comment:

"The differences between national polls, which often showed a very tight race for the popular vote, and polls of swing states, where President Obama usually maintained an advantage, were a source of intrigue this year. It could be that Mitt Romney’s performance in strongly red-leaning states, which were sparsely polled this year, accounts for much of the difference, allowing him to rack up votes without helping himself in the Electoral College."

This time the "advantage" is Trump's.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36951783

Sad that such an event has become a side story rather than international front page news.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

The early results came out around 1am to 2am and we had a constant stream from then on.

Curiously some states and media report state results whilst the polls are still open in said state.
    Indiana normally closes first at 6 pm. 11pm here. After that at midnight there are a few. By 1:00 quite a few Eastern states close. I think Kentucky closes early as well.
  • Options

Mr. Rabbit, the best defeat was Balls, who had the grace to have a recount so the final result was ready just as I settled down at the computer.

Mr. 86, not the first kidnap in F1 history.

I think Fangio was kidnapped ahead of the Cuban Grand Prix by those opposed to Batista[sp]. He was allowed to watch the race, had a relatively nice time, and was then returned after the race was done, safe and sound.

Mr. Jessop, quite.

Edited extra bit: cheers for that info, Mr. Eagles.

My bets on the election came out pretty much at zero other than a couple of quid on Balls' defeat at 10/1 or something :)
  • Options
    Mr. T, must admit, I noticed that too.

It'd be interesting, if rather sad, to check news articles from 2011/12 when the Syrian situation first began.

Incredible that Assad has managed to hold on. The strategic position and alliance with Russians/Iranians must be the critical difference.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Indiana normally closes first at 6 pm. 11pm here. After that at midnight there are a few. By 1:00 quite a few Eastern states close. I think Kentucky closes early as well.
    A lot of calls made before rsults are in, even the outcome called early.

It's like a chess match where despite there being 100 moves, someone tells you it's all over after fifty.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    surbiton said:

If Hillary wins FL and VA on the eastern seaboard (GMT -5hrs), she has won the election, so we may know by 2am.
  • Options

I don't know about the polls, but Cameron resignation came about as a result of a unique circumstance that was not entirely unexpected.

Wilson's resignation, however, came as a bolt out of the blue. I remember being in barracks at the time, we were getting changed after some activity or other and one of the chaps had the wireless on and the announcement was made on the news. All twelve of us crowded around this small transistor radio wondering what the effect of Wilson going would be and why he had resigned. I remember the sense of shock.
    Ad even to this day, no-one really knows why he resigned...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    edited August 2016

It'd be interesting, if rather sad, to check news articles from 2011/12 when the Syrian situation first began.

Incredible that Assad has managed to hold on. The strategic position and alliance with Russians/Iranians must be the critical difference.

Nobody cared about Gaddafi, that's why the Russians and Chinese abstained rather than blocked a motion they knew would be used for regime change (while allowing them to criticise such), but Assad and Syria, well, individuals and location make it much different prospect.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Odd man.
    Mr. Jessop, you are back, Huzzah! I hope your recovery is continuing apace and all is well with your family. Sadly you have missed the, brief, conversations today about trains and engineering.
    Thanks.

I posted my views on that bridge collapse on the previous thread. ;)

Still fairly ill, sadly. I just couldn't resist a topic that included trains, bridges and failures. ;)

As an aside, an anecdote: in the 1960s my dad ran the family firm with his brother. He got a call out from a farmer he vaguely knew in South Derbyshire in the middle of the night saying his house was creaking. When he arrived, he found massive bulges and cracks in the walls of the farmhouse, and he immediately ordered all the family out. He phoned up a couple of his foremen and instructed them to get men, wood and acrow props from one of the stores.

In the meantime, my uncle had to physically restrain the lady of the house from going in. By the time the men arrived (it was still dark and raining heavily), the house had almost totally collapsed, taking with it all the family's belongings.

My dad's never forgotten how distraught the mother was. The farmer was, apparently, stoic in the way only farmers can be.
  • Options

If you recall, in 2012, it was big news, particularly Obama's non-line line in the sand and the failed vote in the HoC.

I got a lot of calls back then from the press. None so far today.
  • Options
    Trump is trying to lose. There can be no other rational explanation for the fact that he keeps bringing up the bereaved military mother.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SabrinaSiddiqui: Richard Hanna becomes first Republican in Congress to endorse Hillary Clinton https://t.co/HvQk6B5jKn
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Jobabob said:

Trump is trying to lose. There can be no other rational explanation for the fact that he keeps bringing up the bereaved military mother.

If the "right" kind of Americans are constantly reminded of the Arab women in Niqabs in Main St (are there any?) then it's job done.
  • Options

surbiton said:

It's like a chess match where despite there being 100 moves, someone tells you it's all over after fifty.
    The vast majority of states are foregone conclusions (no-one is going to wait up for California, it being a DEM stronghold) so there is a science to the way they do things in the States.

With the networks' teams of mathematicians and impressive statistical expertise they put our coverage to shame. They are able to call states well before all the votes are counted.

Would it that we run our election nights more like the Americans – they focus much more on the data and much less on talking heads. It's impressive stuff.

There has been the odd blunder (FL in the Bush era springs to mind) but generally they get it bang on well ahead of time.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, a good bet, and I'm surprised you got odds like that. Balls had a majority of just 1,000.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SabrinaSiddiqui: Richard Hanna becomes first Republican in Congress to endorse Hillary Clinton https://t.co/HvQk6B5jKn

Others will follow. The patriotic Right in the US are disgusted by the attacks on the military mother.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2016

I remember Wilson's resignation well. It was mid-March 1976 and I was attending an allday job recruitment session in London. As we left for lunch the doorman told us that he had resigned, but we took it as a joke - until we came across the newspaper Evening Standard boards! It was indeed a shock - though something Wilson had planned for some time
    . When he returned to No 10 in March 1974 he had no intention of remaining for very long. A number of people - including Speaker George Thomas - were aware of his plans and it never leaked!
    I have never bought the idea that he resigned for health reasons at all. He went on to write books and to chair an Inquiry into the City. True his famous memory was no longer what it had been , but that was probably nothing more than the natural ageing process - ie of being 60 rather than 40. From comments made by those who knew him well , I don't think Alzheimers took hold until the mid-1980s - though it has been suggested that he was affected by anaesthetic received during an operation in 1980 or 1981.
  • Options
    Mr. T, I do remember. Obama's red line turned out to be fuchsia.

Mr. Jessop, sad to hear that, but hope your recovery continues.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

If the "right" kind of Americans are constantly reminded of the Arab women in Niqabs in Main St (are there any?) then it's job done.
    Since he started the attacks on her his poll ratings have headed sharply south, so why he thinks the dog whistle is likely to suddenly have the opposite effect is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Jobabob said:

surbiton said:

The vast majority of states are foregone conclusions (no-one is going to wait up for California, it being a DEM stronghold) so there is a science to the way they do things in the States.

With the networks' teams of mathematicians and impressive statistical expertise they put our coverage to shame. They are able to call states well before all the votes are counted.

Would it that we run our election nights more like the Americans – they focus much more on the data and much less on talking heads. It's impressive stuff.

There has been the odd blunder (FL in the Bush era springs to mind) but generally they get it bang on well ahead of time.
    Looking through the 2012 coverage on youtube, there does seem to be a lot of talking heads....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Trump's campaign is looking more and more like Leave every day.

"Racist" "Obnoxious" "Decent people won't vote for it" "Doesn't have a hope" etc

And what happened?

The world may be in for another shock in November...

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,602

Clinton v Trump graph looks a bit like REMAIN v LEAVE prior to Referendum night?

We had data with clear Leave leads 10 days-2 weeks out, though. What was happening is that people were discounting those.

So far I'm not seeing the evidence Trump has a clear path here, so I don't think he's value at current prices. But, if the betting starts to seriously diverge from the evidence and straws in the wind, I will.

One profitable strategy for me, so far, on Trump has been to back him for modest amounts every time the market reacts to something outrageous he's said. But DYOR.
  • Options
    Speaking of electoral matters, Hofer (the rightwing chap) appears, via Twitter, to have the lead in the Austrian presidential re-run. I think that takes place in October.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Jobabob said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Since he started the attacks on her his poll ratings have headed sharply south, so why he thinks the dog whistle is likely to suddenly have the opposite effect is anybody's guess.
    The poll rating changes are due to Hillary's convention bounce & have very little to do with the dead soldier.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jobabob said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Do any of the recent polls have fieldwork that cover those remarks? Not according to the table on 538....

Edit: Wow.. why is it so out of date. Realclearpolitics has a much more up to date list:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    Jobabob said:

I rather wonder about Wison’s parents deaths. If one or both of them had some form of dementia it could have worried him. Those of us who have seen older relative, particularly a parent, die in confused mental states worry about what might happen to us, and look in ourselves for signs and portents.
  • Options
    King Cole, my grandpa died of Alzheimer's . There's an element of the Ghost of Christmas Future about something like that.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

I rather wonder about Wison’s parents deaths. If one or both of them had some form of dementia it could have worried him. Those of us who have seen older relative, particularly a parent, die in confused mental states worry about what might happen to us, and look in ourselves for signs and portents.
    Wilson's mother did have dementia.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,063

We had data with clear Leave leads 10 days-2 weeks out, though. What was happening is that people were discounting those.

So far I'm not seeing the evidence Trump has a clear path here, so I don't think he's value at current prices. But, if the betting starts to seriously diverge from the evidence and straws in the wind, I will.

One profitable strategy for me, so far, on Trump has been to back him for modest amounts every time the market reacts to something outrageous he's said. But DYOR.
    Trump has a path, but it's a difficult one. I know everyone likes to compare it to Remain vs Leave, but really it's not. The similarity is that it is an insurgent political movement: but few of us who voted to take the UK out of the EU did so on the grounds that Nigel Farage would be best to run the country.

Back to the path.

Donald has to win the rust belt; and he has to do it on nakedly protectionist grounds. He has to persuade the people of Michigan that their car making jobs are coming back if they vote for him. (Disclaimer: they're not.) He has to persuade those hurt by globalisation that protectionism is the answer. (Disclaimer: it's not.)

The irony is that this would have been a lot easier if he hadn't alienated so many along the way. There are a lot of ex-Mexicans in the US who'd like to pull up the drawbridge. But they don't like it when Donald says that a judge of Hispanic origins wouldn't be able to officiate on a case involving him.

For that reason, I'm going to say predict that Donald doesn't make it. He might pick up Ohio and a few other rust belt states. But I think he'll struggle to flip Colorado, Nevada or New Mexico - and he might lose Arizona. Add New England and the West Coast to Hillary's total, and it simply doesn't leave much margin for error for Mr Trump.
  • Options
    vik said:

Jobabob said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

The poll rating changes are due to Hillary's convention bounce & have very little to do with the dead soldier.
    They have got worse since the soldier...
  • Options

Indeed: I think you said that we needed to see Leave approximately seven points ahead on the eve of polling :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Trump has a path, but it's a difficult one. I know everyone likes to compare it to Remain vs Leave, but really it's not. The similarity is that it is an insurgent political movement: but few of us who voted to take the UK out of the EU did so on the grounds that Nigel Farage would be best to run the country.

Back to the path.

Donald has to win the rust belt; and he has to do it on nakedly protectionist grounds. He has to persuade the people of Michigan that their car making jobs are coming back if they vote for him. (Disclaimer: they're not.) He has to persuade those hurt by globalisation that protectionism is the answer. (Disclaimer: it's not.)

The irony is that this would have been a lot easier if he hadn't alienated so many along the way. There are a lot of ex-Mexicans in the US who'd like to pull up the drawbridge. But they don't like it when Donald says that a judge of Hispanic origins wouldn't be able to officiate on a case involving him.

For that reason, I'm going to say predict that Donald doesn't make it. He might pick up Ohio and a few other rust belt states. But I think he'll struggle to flip Colorado, Nevada or New Mexico - and he might lose Arizona. Add New England and the West Coast to Hillary's total, and it simply doesn't leave much margin for error for Mr Trump.
    If only someone had written a thread header along those lines :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Jobabob said:

surbiton said:

The 2010 exit poll was bang on and the 2015 exit poll was in the right direction, confounding expectations. Curtice got it right both times. It was the media talking heads that got it all wrong. Talking about eating hats and kilts. The data of the shy Tory or hard to reach Tory was always there, the data on lazy Labour voters was also there. Our talking heads were far to stuck on the narrative of Tory scum being punished for austerity to notice. The same is true for Brexit. The evidence was there and the unadjusted data (pointed out by some on here to much ridicule) had leave with a 3-5 point lead. Again it was our polling companies and talking heads adjusting data and reality to suit their agenda. If Trump does win then I think the same will happen in the US. Though I'm hopeful he won't, and by recent evidence I don't think he will, the tax issue will damage him more than anything else IMO, he is breaking an age old tradition for something that is easy to solve.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

What is most notable is that the Trump rampers on here – RodCrosby and Speedy et al – have either disappeared entirely (Rod) or change their tune (Speedy).
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,785
    rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

The main difference is that a vote for Leave was a vote for an idea. A vote for Trump is a vote for the person
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Final nail in the coffin for Owen Smith?

Labour leadership election

Harrison Grant has issued proceedings against the Labour Party on behalf of a number of new members who have been denied the opportunity to vote in the forthcoming leadership election. Following an order for an expedited hearing this case will be heard at the High Court in London Thursday 4th August
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

What is most notable is that the Trump rampers on here – RodCrosby and Speedy et al – have either disappeared entirely (Rod) or change their tune (Speedy).

@RodCrosby is currently banned, so that might explain his disappearance.

• Options
    ''The main difference is that a vote for Leave was a vote for an idea. A vote for Trump is a vote for the person ''

What is a vote for Hillary for?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

What for? Has he been banging in about the holocaust again?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

The main difference is that a vote for Leave was a vote for an idea. A vote for Trump is a vote for the person
    Correct. It was a vote for a completely undefined idea, that meant different things to different people.

Everyone knows what Trump is.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

Most likely. Sickening stuff.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    BudG said:

Harrison Grant has issued proceedings against the Labour Party on behalf of a number of new members who have been denied the opportunity to vote in the forthcoming leadership election. Following an order for an expedited hearing this case will be heard at the High Court in London Thursday 4th August

And on whose behalf has Harrison Grant been commissioned this time, same losers as last ?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Trump's campaign is looking more and more like Leave every day.

"Racist" "Obnoxious" "Decent people won't vote for it" "Doesn't have a hope" etc

And what happened?

The world may be in for another shock in November...

Thing is the tory cabinet members coming out for out made Leave seem more credible if it was just Nigel no way would we have won. It was also a cross party campaign with Labour Leave playing the most important part I don't see the equvilant of Gisela campaigning forTrump in america.
  • Options

BudG said:

And on whose behalf has Harrison Grant been commissioned this time, same losers as last ?
    Dunno who the "losers" were who commissioned them last time.

Apparently they are acting on behalf of about 200 members who joined up after the January 12th cut off point.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    BudG said:

I doubt it. I'd expect the court to uphold the NEC's decision for much the same reason that they upheld the decision that Corbyn didn't need nominations: it was taken according to the rules by the competent body and was, if a little odd, not unduly discriminatory.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

Michael Foster, the chap who took the NEC to court, is Jewish.

If you have a look at his last few comments, you might get a flavour of why Mike deployed the ban hammer.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

And Wilson could apparently perceive it in himself. At the least, he must have been worried about signs which could have been dementia.
  • Options

King Cole, my grandpa died of Alzheimer's . There's an element of the Ghost of Christmas Future about something like that.

Exactly, Mr D. And Mr 124. I can promise you that in those circumstances, as you get older, you look to factors in your own life, and wonder whether what happened to your relative is happening to you. You go upstairs and wonder why you did. You make a mental list and forget half of it. Doesn’t matter that you’ve always done that, as one gets into ones 70’s that black shadow’s there. And Wilson, remember, served as an MP when Churchill was an increasingly ga-ga PM.
    That things didn’t turn out as badly as he feared is fortunate for him. I think his resignation was greatly to his crfedit.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

That really should not be allowed, banana republic territory.
  • Options

BudG said:

I doubt it. I'd expect the court to uphold the NEC's decision for much the same reason that they upheld the decision that Corbyn didn't need nominations: it was taken according to the rules by the competent body and was, if a little odd, not unduly discriminatory.
    Think this is slightly different David. Think this one will be based on contract law. The website where the people signed up said Join the Labour Party and vote in the leadership elections. The wording on the website was not changed until July.

Would think they will win their case, but not sure if the court has the power to force the Labour Party to change their cut-off date, or whether they would simply tell them that they have to offer refunds to up to 130 thousand people who signed up since January
  • Options
    vik said:

Jobabob said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Can you separate the two?

Trump's attacks have failed so far because he's shooting off all over the place rather than going for the main targets: she's Beltway and she's got history. But he seems incapable of sticking to the script and allows his mouth to run several sentences ahead of his brain.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Back to the path.

Michael Foster, the chap who took the NEC to court, is Jewish.

If you have a look at his last few comments, you might get a flavour of why Mike deployed the ban hammer.
    Not going to go hunting but I think I can guess the gist.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    FF43 said:

Indeed. I would guess at least a third of the Leave vote was driven by sovereignty and not wanting to be in the EU rather than immigration. I don't know what Trump offers that 15-17% of the US who would also be in that camp. The lack of pivot will kill him. I'm someone who may have considered voting for Trump in the primaries, but the rubbish about the Latino judge and his refusal to release hks tax return are issues that would make me sit it out. Additionally instead of toning down his rhetoric on Mexicans etc... he has ramped it up, which is irresponsible IMO. He is closer to Britain First than UKIP when it comes to immigration which means his appeal is too narrow.

Brexit was won by a coalition, a similar coalition could be put together in the US, Trump is not the man to do it.
  • Options
    @AlbertoNardelli: "Everyone will follow Britain, and want to leave the EU" https://t.co/RUsPrdtzn4
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:

Think this is slightly different David. Think this one will be based on contract law. The website where the people signed up said Join the Labour Party and vote in the leadership elections. The wording on the website was not changed until July.

Would think they will win their case, but not sure if the court has the power to force the Labour Party to change their cut-off date, or whether they would simply tell them that they have to offer refunds to up to 130 thousand people who signed up since January
    Didn't know that, but on balance - and I'm not a lawyer - I'd have thought the latter. The NEC has the power to determine the rules but if membership has been sold on a false prospectus then I'd expect refund to be in order.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@AlbertoNardelli: "Everyone will follow Britain, and want to leave the EU" https://t.co/RUsPrdtzn4

Who actually said that, given it is in quotation marks?
  • Options

BudG said:

BudG said:

Didn't know that, but on balance - and I'm not a lawyer - I'd have thought the latter. The NEC has the power to determine the rules but if membership has been sold on a false prospectus then I'd expect refund to be in order.
    Maybe the court would suggest they have two options. Either offer refunds totaling up to a possible £3 million for the 130k disenfrancised or alternatively allow them the vote that they thought they had paid for.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who actually said that, given it is in quotation marks?
    Sounds like the sort of thing Farage would say.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

Indeed. I would guess at least a third of the Leave vote was driven by sovereignty and not wanting to be in the EU rather than immigration. I don't know what Trump offers that 15-17% of the US who would also be in that camp. The lack of pivot will kill him. I'm someone who may have considered voting for Trump in the primaries, but the rubbish about the Latino judge and his refusal to release hks tax return are issues that would make me sit it out. Additionally instead of toning down his rhetoric on Mexicans etc... he has ramped it up, which is irresponsible IMO. He is closer to Britain First than UKIP when it comes to immigration which means his appeal is too narrow.

Brexit was won by a coalition, a similar coalition could be put together in the US, Trump is not the man to do it.
    But a coalition to do what?

To reduce unskilled immigration to the US?
    - well, they could get rid of the lottery, because that's basically the only way that unskilled immigrants legally get to the US

To build a wall?
    - which ignores the fact that 90+% of undocumented workers simply overstayed the welcome on their tourist visa

To reform NAFTA?
    - given the US controls NAFTA, it's hard to see what reform is wanted or needed, except for possibly stopping free trade altogether

The Donald Trump platform is simple: the reason real incomes have stagnated is because of someone else. It's not a credible platform for change.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

- well, they could get rid of the lottery, because that's basically the only way that unskilled immigrants legally get to the US

To build a wall?
    - which ignores the fact that 90+% of undocumented workers simply overstayed the welcome on their tourist visa

To reform NAFTA?
    - given the US controls NAFTA, it's hard to see what reform is wanted or needed, except for possibly stopping free trade altogether

The Donald Trump platform is simple: the reason real incomes have stagnated is because of someone else. It's not a credible platform for change.

But...

The Leave platform is simple: the reason for your problems is because of the EU. It's not a credible platform for change.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Exactly, Mr D. And Mr 124. I can promise you that in those circumstances, as you get older, you look to factors in your own life, and wonder whether what happened to your relative is happening to you. You go upstairs and wonder why you did. You make a mental list and forget half of it. Doesn’t matter that you’ve always done that, as one gets into ones 70’s that black shadow’s there. And Wilson, remember, served as an MP when Churchill was an increasingly ga-ga PM.
    That things didn’t turn out as badly as he feared is fortunate for him. I think his resignation was greatly to his crfedit.
    I agree that his departure did Wilson great credit - though I think he really had had enough by that time. Also his wife Mary - who is still with us at 100 years old - could never abide political life and refused to move back to No 10 in March 74. I suspect he felt it time to show more consideration to what Mary wanted from life. Regardless of politics he was apparently a very nice guy!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Jobabob said:

surbiton said:

If we counted by polling station as they do we could do the same. Though without practice it might go the same way as the referendum when PB called it hours before the networks.
  • Options
    @YouGov: Britain on collision course with German and French publics over Brexit deal https://t.co/c4cN1sse4Q https://t.co/KmXXtTjyYG
  • Options
    @BBCJonSopel: Now #POTUS weighs in: "I think @realDonaldTrump is unfit to serve..I said so last week, and he keeps on proving it...woefully unprepared."
  • Options
    Obama says Trump is unfit to be President and urges Republicans to withdraw their backing.

Just when the strategy of giving him enough rope to hang himself started to bear fruit, the Democrats have decided to abandon that approach... It seems much too early in the campaign for this kind of intervention from Obama. If Trump recovers then it will carry much less weight the next time he tries.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@YouGov: Britain on collision course with German and French publics over Brexit deal https://t.co/c4cN1sse4Q https://t.co/KmXXtTjyYG

Yougov seems in this piece to be implying that the terms of Brexit will play a prominent role in the German and French national elections.

I find that pretty hard to believe, except in the sense that Le Pen and AfD will be using Brexit to argue for Frexit and Gerxit, rather than demanding their governments be nasty to the UK.
  • Options
    ''Obama says Trump is unfit to be President and urges Republicans to withdraw their backing.''

If Hillary is doing so well, why is he making this intervention?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I agree that his departure did Wilson great credit - though I think he really had had enough by that time. Also his wife Mary - who is still with us at 100 years old - could never abide political life and refused to move back to No 10 in March 74. I suspect he felt it time to show more consideration to what Mary wanted from life. Regardless of politics he was apparently a very nice guy!
    Poor Mary Wilson; married a man who looked as though he could esasily spend a lifetime as an Oxford don and ended up with a PM!
    Interestingly, in view of comments about PM’s children in politics neither of his sons appear to have much interest in the subject, although both followed their father’s mathmatical “trade”.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

To build a wall?

To reform NAFTA?

But...

The Leave platform is simple: the reason for your problems is because of the EU. It's not a credible platform for change.

Fair point :)

• Options

Linky linky? Or don't you want to be beat again?
    I think you are already in it if you log in to your fantasy footie account.... mind you, I could kick you out now that you remind me of last season's daylight robbery...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Obama says Trump is unfit to be President and urges Republicans to withdraw their backing.

Just when the strategy of giving him enough rope to hang himself started to bear fruit, the Democrats have decided to abandon that approach... It seems much too early in the campaign for this kind of intervention from Obama. If Trump recovers then it will carry much less weight the next time he tries.

He's tried it 4 times in the past year.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Scott_P said:

The question was loaded towards telling the Brits to FO. There is no suggestion that deals work both ways.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

@BBCJonSopel: Now #POTUS weighs in: "I think @realDonaldTrump is unfit to serve..I said so last week, and he keeps on proving it...woefully unprepared."

Another POTUS intervention? - Hillary’s polling figures obviously not as good as expected.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Obama's intervention over here went well as I recall.
This discussion has been closed.