Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Theresa May could turn out to be the Labour party’s ver

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,132

John_M said:

Thrak said:

IOC decides it doesn't want to eat any polonium:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36878983

At least there will be some people to boo mercilessly at the opening ceremony. Quite cowardly from the IOC, given the evidence, though.
    The nicest thing I can think of to say about the IOC is that they're slightly less corrupt than FIFA.
    Which Remainer was it that had that zinger during the campaign ? When asked why they wanted to remain in " the world's most corrupt organisation " they replied " I'm not campaigning to remain in FIFA ".
    Emily Thornberry?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

justin124 said:

Miss Plato, they can repeal the Act with a simple majority, rather than keep the act and meet the two-thirds needed for an election under its terms, as I understand it.

Yes - but that would probably not get through the Lords who are unlikely to agree to constitutional changes sought for party advantage that were not in the governing party's manifesto.
    I volunteer to be a Conservative peer. I live to serve etc.
    Happy to join you on the red benches Mr M.

More seriously, however, the implied threat of flooding the HoL with lots of new members (or, perhaps more cannily, threatening to reform it and remove a load of members) would see the FTPA repealed very swiftly.

In the words of Corporal Jones....
    I very much doubt that, and cannot imagine May operating that way. It would also reak of sharp practice and lead to accusations of political corruption etc. The political class has more than enough problems with its social standing without seeking to add to it.
    How would threatening to reform the HoL be sharp practice? It needs reforming
    In what way I for one am not certain, and neither are most people it seems, but given we are about to Brexit, reforming other issues concurrently would seem an appropriate time.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2016

Btw Mark David finally got the break through in the cricket.

The 'locally known as' Mark David.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

At least there will be some people to boo mercilessly at the opening ceremony. Quite cowardly from the IOC, given the evidence, though.
    The rest of the world should refuse to compete against any Russian athlete or team.
    Nah, they'll be all 'These athletes are clean, shouldn't punish them for years and years and years of organised cheating by their country'.

Bet this decision won't stop the Russians crying foul though.
    I'm torn. It's unfair to penalise clean athletes who've trained overseas/been tested there for ages vs the rest.
    I don't think it is unfair. You compete under a specific banner, you suffer from the consequences of that if necessary. These days you can even choose your country if it is a problem, and I don't believe they would not have been aware of what was going on, even if they chose not to participate.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

The rest of the world should refuse to compete against any Russian athlete or team.
    Nah, they'll be all 'These athletes are clean, shouldn't punish them for years and years and years of organised cheating by their country'.

I'm torn. It's unfair to penalise clean athletes who've trained overseas/been tested there for ages vs the rest.

I'm of an appropriate vintage to recall Moscow/Los Angeles where hundreds of competitors didn't contest because of boycotts - nationality wide. It undermined the value of the medals won.
    Apparently only two Russian athletes were outside the system and are able to conpete as individuals. It is to be hoped that sports now, individually, ban them. Regarding LA, taking out the Eastern bloc probably made the medals more representative than less. Moscow, clearly has zero credibility.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

I'm not convinced by the scenario Joff (ugh, knowing people's real names, it's just not right) outlines, but the idea that it would be beneficial for both the Tories and, in the long term, Labour, for May to call a GE and win handsomely, is kind of funny.

I'm not sure she'll want to though. Granted, dissent in particular on the right is inevitable if she goes for anything less than the most hard core of Brexits, but I just don't get the sense any of them want to chance a GE, nor that Labour MPs would help them call it.

It's been a few years since I was at a PB drinks do, but the funniest bit was we all called each other by our screen names. I met 37 others - being a PR networking saddo, I made a little list on the way home on the train :smiley:
    My regret is I did not pick my usual cool username when creating a vanilla account so am stuck with this nonsense.
    I remain impressed that there are three others called kle1, kle2 and kle3 before you.
    I was aware of kle3 afterwards, but the amazing thing is I didn't pick kle4 because the other three were used up, it was the first one I tried in fact.

I wanted DedicatedFenceSitter, but c'est la vie
    @TheWhiteRabbit used to be called @Grandiose - you could ask @rcs1000 to change yours or just create a new account with another email address and tell us. I rely on my identity across a dozen platforms - funnily enough, someone well known on Twitter asked me if I was me on PB just yesterday.

When you've been an online saddo for this long, it does help other saddos to spot each other :open_mouth:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

you mean Mark Ali?

jokes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    When are England going to declare? Surely they have enough. 4 runs. No more required.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

The 'locally known as' Mark David.
    The 'locally known as' Mark David strikes again. Pakistan all out.

England bat again.

Hales still in so far.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

I'm not convinced by the scenario Joff (ugh, knowing people's real names, it's just not right) outlines, but the idea that it would be beneficial for both the Tories and, in the long term, Labour, for May to call a GE and win handsomely, is kind of funny.

I'm not sure she'll want to though. Granted, dissent in particular on the right is inevitable if she goes for anything less than the most hard core of Brexits, but I just don't get the sense any of them want to chance a GE, nor that Labour MPs would help them call it.

It's been a few years since I was at a PB drinks do, but the funniest bit was we all called each other by our screen names. I met 37 others - being a PR networking saddo, I made a little list on the way home on the train :smiley:
    My regret is I did not pick my usual cool username when creating a vanilla account so am stuck with this nonsense.
    I remain impressed that there are three others called kle1, kle2 and kle3 before you.
    I was aware of kle3 afterwards, but the amazing thing is I didn't pick kle4 because the other three were used up, it was the first one I tried in fact.

I wanted DedicatedFenceSitter, but c'est la vie
    As a well known politician once wrote of a fellow Cabinet Member:

He sat upon the fence so long
    That everything fell out
    And true, and false, and right, and wrong
    Were scrambled into doubt
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

John_M said:

Thrak said:

The nicest thing I can think of to say about the IOC is that they're slightly less corrupt than FIFA.
    Which Remainer was it that had that zinger during the campaign ? When asked why they wanted to remain in " the world's most corrupt organisation " they replied " I'm not campaigning to remain in FIFA ".
    Angela Eagle...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    DavidL said:

When are England going to declare? Surely they have enough. 4 runs. No more required.

It is one of the most ludicrous non enforcements of the follow on I've ever seen.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It is one of the most ludicrous non enforcements of the follow on I've ever seen.
    Agreed. What is Cooky playing at?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Presumably has to be down to worries over bowlers just back from injuries.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

And now they are off for rain. So the bowlers could have had a break anyway. Just idiotic beyond belief.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    And here comes the rain....
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Thrak said:

Interesting bit will be the reaction if any of them win gold, or any medal for that matter. The other athletes will always wonder if this is drug aided. Given that clean athletes train for years to even take part let alone finally win a medal it's entirely understandable.
    Speaking as an amateur from the recentish past - one can gain an enormous amount of muscle using supplements banned by the IOC, and stop using them in time to avoid detection. I wasn't attempting to match any of them - but the whole sports/gym world is awash with advantage gaining stuff = and when you're after a teeny-weeny edge, it could be the clincher.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Did you have a betfair position on the follow on? :)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Did you have a betfair position on the follow on? :)
    No, not bet a penny on this match actually.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

We can't escape the fact that the post Brexit relationship with the EU could be anything between 0% and 99% of what we have now. None of those 99 different options have any democratic mandate and are going to upset loads of people who will scream betrayal. May is clearly a class act but Lincoln or Gandhi wouldn't be able to pull this off with a majority of 12 newly empowered nutters. She'll need to go to the country before 2020.

Out of curiosity - did you buy a vote for Labour? Your Kendall avatar took me my surprise - thought you were a LD.
    I left the Lib Dems in 2012. I keep the YelliwSubmarine name for continuity purposes. The new avatar is Liz Kendal but the now trounced leadership candidate is grinning and winking. Perhaps I was being too subtle.
    The total political landscape is in flux - I'm a TINO/NOTA right now. Pissed off not having a vote in the leadership election/feel May is Ted Meets EdM. Rudd announcing bigger sentences for racism made me wince. It's more Noo Labour. What about FGM? Or loads of other more pernicious stuff?

I gave £20 to Woolfe's leadership campaign in the hope he'd shake up Labour in the North.
    I agree ! It's so liberating. Since I left the Lib Dems I've voted for Independent, Lib Dem, Green and - a life time first - a Conservative Candidate. I've donated to specific campaigns for Greens, Plaid, Yorkshire First and the Pirate Party.

I gave far more to BSE and Better Together than I would have been able to as a party member.

Another lifetime first was being able to work for a personal friend and exceptional council candidate. She stood and won for Labour.

Political parties are a *good* thing and completely necessary. But after so long in one being able to take a broader view is liberating.
    Ha! My inner shaker-up has been released too. Although I like to be loyal once I've chosen a side, I'm a natural Why, rather than Why Not? sort.

I wonder how many of us there are - particularly those who didn't bother to vote for 20yrs or defied what their Party leaders said?

It's a very exciting time to be involved with politics and so different to 2001 when it was set in stone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

I don't think it is unfair. You compete under a specific banner, you suffer from the consequences of that if necessary. These days you can even choose your country if it is a problem, and I don't believe they would not have been aware of what was going on, even if they chose not to participate.
    A load of Russians could apply like Zola Budd to compete for Country XYZ.

Zola was never one of ours though. A paper tiger of a medal.

For those as young as I wish I was

"The Daily Mail, a British tabloid newspaper, persuaded Budd's father to encourage her to apply for British citizenship, on the grounds that her grandfather was British, to circumvent the international sporting boycott of South Africa, so that she could compete in the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. With a strong push from the Daily Mail, British citizenship was granted in short order and she moved to Guildford. Her application and arrival was controversial due to her acquiring a passport under preferential circumstances. Groups supporting the abolition of apartheid campaigned vociferously and effectively to highlight the special treatment she received; other applicants had to wait sometimes years to be granted citizenship, if at all."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Budd
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thrak said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

I'm of an appropriate vintage to recall Moscow/Los Angeles where hundreds of competitors didn't contest because of boycotts - nationality wide. It undermined the value of the medals won.
    Apparently only two Russian athletes were outside the system and are able to conpete as individuals. It is to be hoped that sports now, individually, ban them. Regarding LA, taking out the Eastern bloc probably made the medals more representative than less. Moscow, clearly has zero credibility.
    It was a very weird period - jam packed with drugs cheats of all varieties. Eastern Europeans ladies with World Strongest Man muscles and Americans who later had heart attacks at 38 like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griffith_Joyner#Olympic_Runner
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    When do the Labour voting slips get sent out?

Just wondering if the bad PR for Jezbollah might harm his prospects.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    But we were told all of this was totally impossible....if Cameron had just got this deal to start with, we wouldn't have Brexit'ed.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Thrak said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

It was a very weird period - jam packed with drugs cheats of all varieties. Eastern Europeans ladies with World Strongest Man muscles and Americans who later had heart attacks at 38 like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griffith_Joyner#Olympic_Runner
    Like good old Andreas (née Heidi) Krieger, East German lady shot-putter extraordinaire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, no deal done yet.

Entirely agree on Cameron's arrogance and complacency, however.
  • Options
    This is excellent movie trivia :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/07/24/oliver-reed-saddam-hussein-and-the-true-story-of-the-worlds-most/

IIRC its mid/late August - so a month before conference.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

You have clearly not wandered amongst the Faithful as I have, Mr Dancer. There is no bad PR. There is only a media conspiracy against the Blessed Leader, orchestrated by Zionists, MI5 and for all I know, the Lizard People.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

justin124 said:

Miss Plato, they can repeal the Act with a simple majority, rather than keep the act and meet the two-thirds needed for an election under its terms, as I understand it.

Yes - but that would probably not get through the Lords who are unlikely to agree to constitutional changes sought for party advantage that were not in the governing party's manifesto.

More seriously, however, the implied threat of flooding the HoL with lots of new members (or, perhaps more cannily, threatening to reform it and remove a load of members) would see the FTPA repealed very swiftly.

I very much doubt that, and cannot imagine May operating that way. It would also reak of sharp practice and lead to accusations of political corruption etc. The political class has more than enough problems with its social standing without seeking to add to it.
    I am referring to trying to repeal the FTA for reasons of opportunism or party advantage!
  • Options
    Cheers, Miss Plato.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087

But we were told all of this was totally impossible....if Cameron had just got this deal to start with, we wouldn't have Brexit'ed.
    Impossible within the EU. Not clear yet if it's possible - this is just a few UK diplomatic sources, apparently not European officials, let alone someone in the Commons who would know if it could pass.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

justin124 said:

I am referring to trying to repeal the FTA for reasons of opportunism or party advantage!
    Opportunistic party advantage sounds like a fantastic reason to repeal the FTPA. Lords is far too full of opposition placemen. Time to set that right. We need a couple of hundred Tory peers for starters.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,323
    Machete attack reported in Germany...
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Thrak said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Thrak said:

Like good old Andreas (née Heidi) Krieger, East German lady shot-putter extraordinaire.

What the DDR did to their athletes was beyond appalling. Growing up in the 70s - I thought all Eastern European women were built like that because they toiled in fields/ploughed with horses.

It's just such a mind-bending abuse of power.
  • Options
    Mr. M, indeed, I have not. Too busy contemplating the mysteries of the universe, such as differential front end grip.
  • Options
    He should stick with being painted blue as Nightcrawler

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/alan-cumming-brexit-stupid-english-people/
  • Options
    EPG said:

Impossible within the EU. Not clear yet if it's possible - this is just a few UK diplomatic sources, apparently not European officials, let alone someone in the Commons who would know if it could pass.
    It was reported in the Guardian this morning. Just a motley few Dutch and Italian types musing about it.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

:smiley:
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

We wouldn't have got this deal if we hadnt brexited. Cameron was screwed because the EU hierarchy couldn't believe that we'd vote for out, so they could take the piss.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850

A steady trickle of EU goodies will no doubt try to undermine the British peoples' vote. If they carry on dismantling themselves to accommodate us then in a few years we will probably want to settle. A certain schadenfreude in the meantime though!

• Options
    EPG said:

Once it becomes possible within the EEA, it surely becomes possible to contemplate within the EU too.

If we now start to see the sort of fundamental negotiation that some people thought they were getting from Cameron in the first place it will be a complete vindication of Boris Johnson's original position and also provide a basis on which a second referendum would be politically viable.
  • Options

I have to say that given Spain's economy is likely to be larger than Russia's in the next five years, Mr Putin sure as hell punches above his weight.
  • Options

Oh bugger.

Why do machetes that aren't actually machetes always cited?

They're a very specific form of weapon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete - they're a tool like many others designed to chop down jungle growth.

We never hear of cutlasses [they have a cupped hand protector] or pangas or whatever.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

We can't escape the fact that the post Brexit relationship with the EU could be anything between 0% and 99% of what we have now. None of those 99 different options have any democratic mandate and are going to upset loads of people who will scream betrayal. May is clearly a class act but Lincoln or Gandhi wouldn't be able to pull this off with a majority of 12 newly empowered nutters. She'll need to go to the country before 2020.

Out of curiosity - did you buy a vote for Labour? Your Kendall avatar took me my surprise - thought you were a LD.
    I left the Lib Dems in 2012. I keep the YelliwSubmarine name for continuity purposes. The new avatar is Liz Kendal but the now trounced leadership candidate is grinning and winking. Perhaps I was being too subtle.
    The total political landscape is in flux - I'm a TINO/NOTA right now. Pissed off not having a vote in the leadership election/feel May is Ted Meets EdM. Rudd announcing bigger sentences for racism made me wince. It's more Noo Labour. What about FGM? Or loads of other more pernicious stuff?

I gave £20 to Woolfe's leadership campaign in the hope he'd shake up Labour in the North.
    I agree ! It's so liberating. Since I left the Lib Dems I've voted for Independent, Lib Dem, Green and - a life time first - a Conservative Candidate. I've donated to specific campaigns for Greens, Plaid, Yorkshire First and the Pirate Party.

I gave far more to BSE and Better Together than I would have been able to as a party member.

Another lifetime first was being able to work for a personal friend and exceptional council candidate. She stood and won for Labour.

Political parties are a *good* thing and completely necessary. But after so long in one being able to take a broader view is liberating.
    Hi Yellow, can I ask when and why did u vote for the tory?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFgZXL3tL1A Top Secret footage of the East German women's Olympic team
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Nothing on main news channels. PB always first as was discussed yesterday.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh bugger.

They're a very specific form of weapon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete - they're a tool like many others designed to chop down jungle growth.

We never hear of cutlasses [they have a cupped hand protector] or pangas or whatever.

For the same reason that anything painted green with an engine, that isn't a landrover is a tanjk

Lack of knowledge or research.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Being reported on RT.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh bugger.

Sounds better than 'big knife'.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good evening, or nearly so, to all.

Reading the thread header I can quite see May calling a snap GE in early October.

From now until September is the "holiday season", and the conference season follows on fast,
    so October is the earliest and safest date she could choose.
  • Options
    saddened said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh bugger.

For the same reason that anything painted green with an engine, that isn't a landrover is a tanjk

Lack of knowledge or research.
    So depressingly true. I suppose I've a slight nerdy interest in such stuff - but it's only from reading/watching BBC4/Yesterday channel type stuff.

I guess machete *sounds* really macho and bloody/cannibal.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    So the question is, "Will Theresa enforce the follow-on?"
  • Options
    John_M said:

You have clearly not wandered amongst the Faithful as I have, Mr Dancer. There is no bad PR. There is only a media conspiracy against the Blessed Leader, orchestrated by Zionists, MI5 and for all I know, the Lizard People.
    I've heard of these Lizard People: they can get very stroppy.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh bugger.

Sounds better than 'big knife'.
    I love how the flag of Angola has a half cog wheel and machete rather than a hammer and sickle.

I actually have a machete. Comes in useful walking the dogs in the back field this time of year. Have to make sure no pups are in my immediate vicinity when I swing it though...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Moses_ said:

Being reported on RT.
    I find it very depressing that when I want to see what's going on - I look at Twitter, then RT/Al Jaz/local country feeds TV/Sky - I never watch the BBC.

The BBC is obsessed with wrapping their viewers in cottonwool lest they actually notice what's going on...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

So the question is, "Will Theresa enforce the follow-on?"

I don't see that she needs to. Whatever happens, the Labour party is going to continue disappearing up its own fundament.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Being reported on RT.
    Got it
    1 dead 2 injured at the moment. Photo of the perp arrested and on the ground. Yup looks like your typical German .........so long as it's a Middle East German.

"The perpetrator was acting alone, police said, adding that there is no evidence suggesting that he had any accomplices."

That was quick to rule that out or are we seeing another "Nothing to see here move along." Scenario.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    MikeK said:

Reading the thread header I can quite see May calling a snap GE in early October.

From now until September is the "holiday season", and the conference season follows on fast,

May wont call an autumn election. She said she wouldn't and so that's the end of it imho.
  • Options
  • Options

MikeK said:

May wont call an autumn election. She said she wouldn't and so that's the end of it imho.
    Let the betting begin!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Being reported on RT.
    Got it
    1 dead 2 injured at the moment. Photo of the perp arrested and on the ground. Yup looks like your typical German .........so long as it's a Middle East German.

"The perpetrator was acting alone, police said, adding that there is no evidence suggesting that he had any accomplices."

That was quick to rule that out or are we seeing another "Nothing to see here move along." Scenario.
    Personally speaking - I find this epidemic of Lone Wolf attacks enormously reassuring in terms of public safety :wink:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    Our SO doesn't appear to have considered the possibility that Corbyn wins, then changes the leadership/nomination rules?
  • Options
    Trump really is just beyond satire. Having rallied against the elite and powerful and the financiers and lobbyists of Wall Street on Thursday, he spends the weekend planning his cabinet... and considers bringing in:

"...former Goldman Sachs executive Steve Mnuchin as a possible choice to head the Treasury Department, a development first reported by Fortune. Mnuchin serves as the national finance chairman of his campaign."

“If we’re going to have the biggest deals in the world, which are trade deals, why not have the best guys negotiate this? Why not have the Carl Icahns or the top guys of Wall Street?”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/288817-trump-starts-considering-cabinet
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MikeK said:

I like this: one of those moments.
    twitter.com/MichaelCholbi/status/756928606706688000

I saw that this morning and shared it - it's fab.

What's your Twitter name? Always happy to follow a fellow PBer - send me a VM if you prefer.
  • Options
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Let the betting begin!
    Currently 8/1 on betfair.

I'm laying off betting for a while, having won a stack on May becoming PM and having actual need of the money back in the real world :-)
  • Options
    Moses_ said:
    :lol:

This is a knife - from a much gentler time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I believe the German police will describe the beard of the suspected attacker as 'hipster'
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I believe the German police will describe the beard of the suspected attacker as 'hipster'

SNORTS in a most unladylike way.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Our SO doesn't appear to have considered the possibility that Corbyn wins, then changes the leadership/nomination rules?

Without doubt that is what he will do.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,867
    edited July 2016

EPG said:

Once it becomes possible within the EEA, it surely becomes possible to contemplate within the EU too.

If we now start to see the sort of fundamental negotiation that some people thought they were getting from Cameron in the first place it will be a complete vindication of Boris Johnson's original position and also provide a basis on which a second referendum would be politically viable.
    I wouldn't read too much into the Guardian article suggesting that the Single Market will be offered with a time limited immediately available derogation on freedom of movement. British officials who talk approvingly of this are working towards this outcome. Otherwise you have a Dutch politician in favour who is influential in the ruling party and an Italian Eurocrat whose political clout in Italy isn't clear. The actual deal will be negotiated down once all the parties are involved and will certainly not be so straightforward. Say the UK is offered a hypothetical derogation and full access to the Single Market for as long as it doesn't use it, would the UK government accept that? And if not, would the EU side be minded to up their offer. Or would they say, fine, we offered you the option but you decided not to take it
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that's unfair. I rather liked Lone Wolf gamebooks growing up, and he only ever attacked the Darklords of Helgedad[sp] and other such rotters.
  • Options
    BBC: Syrian refugee arrested for machete attack in Reutlingen.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

SO was reasonably confident the NEC's makeup wouldn't make that easy.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MikeK said:

What's your Twitter name? Always happy to follow a fellow PBer - send me a VM if you prefer.
    Always keen to oblige @PlatoSaid. You can follow me @atmikekayes3 and others are welcome.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

The members to be elected will be 5 hardcore Corbynistas, and Ann Black - who could go both ways on decision.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

Yes I read that. Won't stop him trying and we should never underestimate Jez and his followers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

I fear my enthusiasm for the Olympics just died. A truly appalling decision. What a shower of plonkers.
    My love for the Olympics was rekindled in 2008 by Usain Bolt. It may well have permanently died today.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

John_M said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

Yes I read that. Won't stop him trying and we should never underestimate Jez and his followers.
    I completely agree. Ed Miliband was clearly a Trekkie. He decided to enter the Labour party into its very own Kobayashi Maru - with a little help from 35 slow-of-thought MPs.
  • Options
    BMW driver ran over attacker, stopping him. Give the guy a medal! #Reutlingen https://t.co/S6HhxAGwto
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Had to tweet that - total POTD.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    PlatoSaid said:

BMW driver ran over attacker, stopping him. Give the guy a medal! #Reutlingen https://t.co/S6HhxAGwto

He'll probably get done for dangerous driving.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Whats sad about the situation in Germany is that once it kicked off it wasn't going to be a one off with a long gap.

The German security services have fears of both something bigger and of a pace of incidents. The political pressure on all the German counter terror authorities sitting in the central coordination office in Berlin is immense to play shit down. Apart from the 440-odd individuals of active note in Germany, there is an estimation of around 38 individuals who came into Europe via that the recent open doors policy announced by Merkel. Thats not to say they are all in Germany but thats the kind of numbers identified that came in as asylum seekers who may not be merely fleeing a warzone.

Politically, however if the German people can't trust what they are being told then they are going to draw their own conclusions.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

PlatoSaid said:

MikeK said:

Always keen to oblige @PlatoSaid. You can follow me @atmikekayes3 and others are welcome.
    Done!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

PlatoSaid said:

He'll probably get done for dangerous driving.
    More likely a Racial hate crime?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    IanB2 said:

Yes, I have. See 4th, 5th and 6th paragraphs.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Whats sad about the situation in Germany is that once it kicked off it wasn't going to be a one off with a long gap.

The German security services have fears of both something bigger and of a pace of incidents. The political pressure on all the German counter terror authorities sitting in the central coordination office in Berlin is immense to play shit down. Apart from the 440-odd individuals of active note in Germany, there is an estimation of around 38 individuals who came into Europe via that the recent open doors policy announced by Merkel. Thats not to say they are all in Germany but thats the kind of numbers identified that came in as asylum seekers who may not be merely fleeing a warzone.

Politically, however if the German people can't trust what they are being told then they are going to draw their own conclusions.

How many more of these can Merkel politically survive. I do notice that these attacks appear to be happening mainly in the south of the country ( at the moment)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

The members to be elected will be 5 hardcore Corbynistas, and Ann Black - who could go both ways on decision.

They won't decide this year's conference agenda, so earliest mandatory reselection could be considered by conference is 2018. However, CLP has six out of 33 NEC seats. Unite has 3, I think. Corbyn has one. He needs at least seven more on top. It's not guaranteed.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hi Yellow, can I ask when and why did u vote for the tory?
    @Yellow

Did many of them win :-))) ?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PlatoSaid said:

Terrorist brought a knife to a car fight.

• Options
    Bullshitometer fail

Sky news

"The man has been arrested and was apparently acting alone, with police saying there is no evidence pointing to terrorism"
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Terrorist brought a knife to a car fight.

:lol:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947

I predict that the concession will turn out to be smaller than trailed, for the first 6 cycles anyway.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

How many more of these can Merkel politically survive. I do notice that these attacks appear to be happening mainly in the south of the country ( at the moment)
    We have to try and keep a sense of perspective. 925k Germans died in 2015.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    May has nothing to gain from a GE now. It'd always be seen as a cut-and-run while Labour are in turmoil. She should wait until 2020 if at all possible. IDS and co will swiftly find that there's no appetite at all to rock the boat for a while.

The BBC (and others) are on a long slow decline. "Russia escape total Rio Olympics ban" is their current leader. I think there's quite a lot wrong with that phrasing.

• Options
    Trump is going hard on Sanders at the moment. Clearly trying to blunt the impact of his endorsement of Hillary and trying to pitch to his voters.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757205678821928960
  • Options
    Sounds like a libel case over alleged harassment following the Nice attack:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36879359
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    edited July 2016

IanB2 said:

Yes, I have. See 4th, 5th and 6th paragraphs.

Ok! :-)

My fault for not studying more closely

You do however seem particularly keen to find a way out from Corbyn; pehaps keener than the probability of it coming about?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

Loads, until there is a spectacular in Berlin. The siteing of attacks may just be coincidence or may point to something about where possible perpetrators may be settling, their timing in entering the country and so on, I think the German states have fairly even spread of take ins based on overall scale of refugee reception centres.
This discussion has been closed.