Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Wiping out the Lib Dems might have been Cameron’s greatest

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Wiping out the Lib Dems might have been Cameron’s greatest strategic mistake as Prime Minister

When David Cameron reflects on his earlier than anticipated departure as Prime Minister I wonder if in hindsight he’ll regret his and Sir Lynton’s Crosby targeting of the Lib Dem held seats at the last general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    But the LDs would have lost a very large number of seats whatever Cameron had done - enough that they wouldn't have formed another coalition with the Conservatives under any circumstances.

In any case, it was always highly likely that if the LDs had any choice they would choose to go with Labour - for the simple reason that they needed to even it up at 1-1 having gone with the Conservatives before.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016
    Perhaps?
    Back in the real world.......

The French strengthen the border "inwards" between the UK and France. Great!! Way to go... Hey that will stop whatever Madame and Messieurs consider a threat from anywhere else...... Except on the most protected border in tout country?

Meanwhile their tourist industry gets utterly f**ked from UK.

Oh well......... *shakes head*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Still a podium finish!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indeed MikeL an LD seat gained is "a bird in the hand". Had the Lib Dems kept their now Tory held.seats they'd likely still have lost their losses to Labour and the SNP so a coalition 2.0 would have still had a very slender majority.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

Stewards have adjudicated and MikeL did not claim first as required in PB rule book.

Soooooo."..Infringement of said rules means you get the pole position*

*However as long as you do not change a computer hard disc or an IPad password in Which case you go to 10th on the thread.

PS sorry MikeL but rules is rules..... :smile:

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Given a second chance in 2015, I doubt the Lib Dems would have opted to continue in coalition, also they were always going to be clobbered at the general election, there’s no telling how few would have remained, irrespective of Crosby’s intervention. Anyhows, that's enough with the whatifery.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Morning all.

Given a second chance in 2015, I doubt the Lib Dems would have opted to continue in coalition, also they were always going to be clobbered at the general election, there’s no telling how few would have remained, irrespective of Crosby’s intervention. Anyhows, that's enough with the whatifery.

Alas no
    The biggest,mistake they made was not claim the benefit of the. Years 2010 -15. Yes there were punch ups but it worked well. They really should have gone in shoulder to shoulder and won seats on the back of what they did.

To distance themselves 6 months before just let them be targets and scapegoats.

edit - I am not a lib dem
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

Stewards have adjudicated and MikeL did not claim first as required in PB rule book.

*However as long as you do not change a computer hard disc or an IPad password in Which case you go to 10th on the thread.

A technical first! The best kind of first :)
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    edited July 2016
    When David Cameron reflects on his earlier than anticipated departure as Prime Minister I wonder if in hindsight he’ll regret his and Sir Lynton’s Crosby targeting of the Lib Dem held seats at the last general election.

If Cameron had wanted to stay on as Prime Minister then he should have campaigned for a Leave vote.

Leave would have won a thumping victory & Cameron would have been a national hero.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)
    You're just jealous given your tenth place :D
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited July 2016
    OnTopic

If MrsMay eliminates FoM she will walk the next GE.

Lib & Lab will be for open borders.

UKIP will not stand against (successful) brexiteers.

We saw on June24th what 4 weeks of campaigning on immigration does to electability..
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

OT

We saw on June24th what 4 weeks of campaigning on that subject does to electability..

We almost have matching avatars.... almost... :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

shiney2 said:

OT

We saw on June24th what 4 weeks of campaigning on that subject does to electability..

Maybe even closer soon! She could lose her 'crown of thorns' when she shows her colours with the opening brexit demands.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Cameron's bigger problem was that he was an arrogant and aloof Flashman.

Theresa May won't suffer the same problems because she'll win a landslide at the next election.
  • Options
    You could have seen them insisting European Union citizens resident in the United Kingdom ... having the vote,

Maybe.

Or maybe Britons seeing recent foreigners being allowed to vote might have thought that the "Leave" campaign's contention that the UK was rapidly losing its sovereignty was very valid.

Maybe people seeing a swifty like that would think that the Lib-Dems were a bunch of tosspots capable of selling out their country in order to obtain a short-term victory.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Dave's cunning plan to disenfranchise Labour-leaning voters was arguably much more directly responsible for his downfall:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5790bae5e4b0e3583c789316?edition=uk
  • Options

Dave's cunning plan to disenfranchise Labour-leaning voters was arguably much more directly responsible for his downfall:

Yebbut we got the right result. So, he took one for the team. He's a hero!
  • Options

"This redrawing of boundaries is to be based on a snapshot of the electorate from December 2015, thus - as least as far as yesterday’s figures indicate - permanently disenfranchising many thousands of Britain’s young, whether they re-register now or not."

Permanently disenfranchised? And she calls herself a political reporter....
  • Options

Also, the data are from December 2015. No indication of what happened in the interim, especially given the huge publicity surrounding it, and the last minute extension.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    You would need a heart of stone not to laugh.
  • Options
    RobD said:

shiney2 said:

OT

avatar is another one of those Indian words.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)
    As an I.T. guy ten is A in hex. 10th position would be 16 in decimal. I'm in Ath position.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)
    As an I.T. guy ten is A in hex. 10th position would be 16 in decimal. I'm in Ath position.
    Ath indeed :p

As a scientist I really should aim for zeroth!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

You could have seen them insisting European Union citizens resident in the United Kingdom ... having the vote,

Maybe.

Or maybe Britons seeing recent foreigners being allowed to vote might have thought that the "Leave" campaign's contention that the UK was rapidly losing its sovereignty was very valid.

Maybe people seeing a swifty like that would think that the Lib-Dems were a bunch of tosspots capable of selling out their country in order to obtain a short-term victory.

Yes, the quid pro quo would surely have been to exclude Brits abroad. And had Dave not delivered on that I think Mr Brady's postman would have been very busy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)

It's my Ath in the hole!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Still a podium finish!

What a geek ;)

It's my Ath in the hole!
    Your coat, sir! :p
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Moses_ said:

Morning all.

Alas no
    The biggest,mistake they made was not claim the benefit of the. Years 2010 -15. Yes there were punch ups but it worked well. They really should have gone in shoulder to shoulder and won seats on the back of what they did.

Lib Dems were poisoned 12 months into the coalition. The only thing g they could have done to avoid wipeout was pulling the plug early. I voted lid dem in 2010 I won't be voting for them for the next decade at best. If they claimed the benefits of 2010-15 it would be 20 years before I even think of voting for them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    The coalition may well be looked back in fondly, and camerons premiership too depending how may does, but as others have said, the LDs were not even close to holding onto seats in most places, it might not have made all that much difference.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

Moses_ said:

Morning all.

Alas no

Lib Dems were poisoned 12 months into the coalition. The only thing g they could have done to avoid wipeout was pulling the plug early. I voted lid dem in 2010 I won't be voting for them for the next decade at best. If they claimed the benefits of 2010-15 it would be 20 years before I even think of voting for them.
    So your vote was lost either way, they should have claimed the benefits though to salvage something (they could have disowned it once no longer in coalition and under a new leader).

The issue with the Lib Dems was that they spent decades building up a two-faced "all things to everybody" party, claiming to be "Not Tories" to left-leaning voters and "Not Labour" to right-leaning voters. The problem with this is that once forced to make a stand they lost the left-leaning voters by entering the coalition and they lost the right-leaning voters by disowning it. So they ended up with who precisely?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Theresa May won't suffer the same problems because she'll win a landslide at the next election.

Err noo.. that's what his opponents accused him of because of his background.. Suck it up sister, he was a v good PM for 6 yrs.. The Country should be grateful.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Morning. I see the French are continuing their campaign to encourage stay-at-home tourism in Britain.

If they want a hint, they're looking at the wrong border for the source of their problem.
  • Options

Err noo.. that's what his opponents accused him of because of his background.. Suck it up sister, he was a v good PM for 6 yrs.. The Country should be grateful.
    We could have done worse. Given may is currently full of praise for her predecessor - though the extent of her clearing out suggests she was biting her tongue this whole time - it's curious some are so keen to write him off completely. Inevitable given he lost the referendum I suppose, but you'd think he was useless and had no positives to gear some tell it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Morning all.

That is one of the odd things -- and most inconsiderate to those of us who'd bet on the coalition having an agreed break-up in 2014 to allow the parties to differentiate themselves.

Another was why Cameron's negotiations were so half-hearted. It is not that Cameron threw away his best card but that he did not seem to be asking for anything in particular, so long as he got something.

A third is why Cameron did not follow Harold Wilson in remaining neutral.

It does seem pretty clear the referendum pledge was intended to be thrown away during negotiations for a new coalition (which implies that even if Conservative private polling was as good as we were since told, no-one believed it). Cameron had not even attempted to sign up Sir Lynton Crosby before the referendum was called.

Another known known is that Cameron took too much comfort from the Scottish IndyRef -- yes, he'd won by a thoroughly negative campaign, but he apparently forgot it was a damn close-run thing with only Gordon Brown's last minute intervention saving the union.

As Southam Observer reminds us, there was a rush to register voters previously disenfranchised in another of Osborne's backfiring wheezes.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-david-cameron-plan-to-screw-labour-cost-him-the-eu-referendum_uk_5790bae5e4b0e3583c789316?edition=uk

hidden within the cache of information dumped on the government website before ministers went to recess, was a clue as to what went wrong: a written statement by Gary Streeter, a spokesperson for the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission, which showed a full nine percentage point drop between 10th June 2014 and 1st December 2015 in the number of 18-19 year olds registered to vote.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning. I see the French are continuing their campaign to encourage stay-at-home tourism in Britain.

If they want a hint, they're looking at the wrong border for the source of their problem.

It also makes a mockery of the rather porous border going from France to the UK!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,008
    Good morning, everyone.

The early part? You mean, the first 16 years or so of a 17 year war?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Hollande has been crucified in the French media for giving Mrs May a free pass, so the ordinary brit will suffer. Its not unexpected after all, it was going to happen, but I thought not quite so soon.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

Entertaining but devoid of realism. With the LDs in tow, the Coalition would have been even more Eurocentric. No deal at all - like it or lump it.

Back in the real world, I always suspected we'd have delays with a chance for project fear to continue (plus a handy alibi for any blips in the economy). A temporary stop to FOM will be cobbled together (with the other Governments complaining bitterly to show what a good and special deal it is for us).

Then a new referendum on this superb, enhanced revitalised EU.

I'd still vote against (as FOM wasn't a big issue for me) but I'll be outvoted. And I will accept it (hope I'm not virtue-signalling).

Curses ... we'd have had freedom if it wasn't for those pesky politicians.
  • Options

Morning all.

That is one of the odd things -- and most inconsiderate to those of us who'd bet on the coalition having an agreed break-up in 2014 to allow the parties to differentiate themselves.

Another was why Cameron's negotiations were so half-hearted. It is not that Cameron threw away his best card but that he did not seem to be asking for anything in particular, so long as he got something.

It does seem pretty clear the referendum pledge was intended to be thrown away during negotiations for a new coalition (which implies that even if Conservative private polling was as good as we were since told, no-one believed it). Cameron had not even attempted to sign up Sir Lynton Crosby before the referendum was called.

Another known known is that Cameron took too much comfort from the Scottish IndyRef -- yes, he'd won by a thoroughly negative campaign, but he apparently forgot it was a damn close-run thing with only Gordon Brown's last minute intervention saving the union.

As Southam Observer reminds us, there was a rush to register voters previously disenfranchised in another of Osborne's backfiring wheezes.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-david-cameron-plan-to-screw-labour-cost-him-the-eu-referendum_uk_5790bae5e4b0e3583c789316?edition=uk

hidden within the cache of information dumped on the government website before ministers went to recess, was a clue as to what went wrong: a written statement by Gary Streeter, a spokesperson for the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission, which showed a full nine percentage point drop between 10th June 2014 and 1st December 2015 in the number of 18-19 year olds registered to vote.
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as those figures are based on the register in December 2015. It would be much better to consider the register after it was closed just prior to the referendum. I suspect a significant portion of that drop would have re-registered at their new address for the vote, especially given the two day extension and the publicity surrounding it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

It also makes a mockery of the rather porous border going from France to the UK!
    What are they doing on their other borders?

Surely we can regulate how many traffic jams they cause? Lane rental to the French Embassy?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    RobD said:
    If that story turns out to be true, the value of my Betrayal shares will go through the roof.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Entertaining but devoid of realism. With the LDs in tow, the Coalition would have been even more Eurocentric. No deal at all - like it or lump it.

Back in the real world, I always suspected we'd have delays with a chance for project fear to continue (plus a handy alibi for any blips in the economy). A temporary stop to FOM will be cobbled together (with the other Governments complaining bitterly to show what a good and special deal it is for us).

Then a new referendum on this superb, enhanced revitalised EU.

I'd still vote against (as FOM wasn't a big issue for me) but I'll be outvoted. And I will accept it (hope I'm not virtue-signalling).

Curses ... we'd have had freedom if it wasn't for those pesky politicians.

A temporary stop on FOM is not even a permanent change, it's just a stop gap, and we'll be in exactly the same position a few years down the line (to think they would allow us to continually pull a emergency brake, or whatever it is called, is fanciful).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Morning all.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as those figures are based on the register in December 2015. It would be much better to consider the register after it was closed just prior to the referendum. I suspect a significant portion of that drop would have re-registered at their new address for the vote, especially given the two day extension and the publicity surrounding it.
    That's the point -- the last-minute registration drive showed the government was aware it had previously deliberately disenfranchised groups suspected of voting Labour.
  • Options
    F1: still no idea if I've missed something (the forecast said it'd be dry) but No Safety Car is available at 5/4 at Sportsbook, still:
    https://www.betfair.com/sport/motor-sport

I tipped it (only evens, Ladbrokes) in my pre-race piece:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/hungary-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Maybe.

Welcome Mr Draws
  • Options

Morning all.

There's nothing odd in Cameron not remaining neutral, from his perspective. I'm told the 75 vote was not close and that was in line with expectations. This one was predicted to be close by most. As such, sitting it out when his job was on the line, when the country was on the line, would not have seemed viable. Some think his contributions may have been counterproductive but it made total sense he would think his job and the country's future rested on this and so he had to at least try.

When the result is not in doubt it's easy to take the noble path and sit it out. When it was set to be a no holds barred blood fest, of course he felt he had to participate.

The alternate explanation, that Cameron is so arrogant he thinks he walks on water and apparently thought stirring up internal party trouble was a great idea, doesn't seem anywhere like as plausible. Someone who was PM for 6 years and only had the referendum as he had no choice, would I think not have acted in that way unless he felt he had no choice.

He may have been wrong in that. But it makes sense.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Alistair said:

What would you have had the LibDems do after the 2010 election?
  • Options

That's the point -- the last-minute registration drive showed the government was aware it had previously deliberately disenfranchised groups suspected of voting Labour.

Individual registration makes far more sense than head of household. If you are old enough and responsible enough to vote, you should be able to ensure you are registered yourself. Having someone else do it for you is sheer laziness.
  • Options

RobD said:
    If that story turns out to be true, the value of my Betrayal shares will go through the roof.

Yep, the sounds we've had in the past week have been positive from the leave EU perspective, so I am somewhat hopeful this is just the Guardian pushing their agenda.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The early part? You mean, the first 16 years or so of a 17 year war?

If you are winning for that much of the war and still end up losing, then your earlier victories were not conclusive enough and not really as much of a relative victory as it seemed.

(Not to belittle the deaths of hundreds of thousands or anything)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's bizarre isn't it? I suppose someone in the French border ministry is getting a kick out of it. We haven't had a major incident here in a decade, and no British residents involved in European attacks at all
  • Options

Morning all.

For some reason people are insistent on calling the No SindyRef campaign 'a win' rather than a campaign that turned a 30 point lead into a 10 point lead.

The idea that you would use it as the blueprint where your starting lead is vastly smaller was bizarre.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Individual registration makes far more sense than head of household. If you are old enough and responsible enough to vote, you should be able to ensure you are registered yourself. Having someone else do it for you is sheer laziness.
    Whether or not that is true, the motivation clearly was to disenfranchise Labour-leaning voters, and to do in time for the boundary changes. Unwanted side-effects were to pitch Britain out of the EU and Cameron and Osborne out of office.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Morning all.

For some reason people are insistent on calling the No SindyRef campaign 'a win' rather than a campaign that turned a 30 point lead into a 10 point lead.

The idea that you would use it as the blueprint where your starting lead is vastly smaller was bizarre.
    How meaningful are polls that far out though?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Giving people who are resident in the country only because of our EU membership a vote to decide on whether we should continue being members would likely have turned more people against continued EU membership.

But in any case I think the referendum was lost long before then because no-one was making a positive case for the EU - either as it is or as it is developing. It's all very well talking about co-operation but then we saw one country unilaterally and at a moment's notice open its borders to a million people. What co-operation and consultation was happening then?

The way Clegg was monstered by Farage should have given the pro-EU side pause for thought. And the fact that Cameron looked as if he had to go round the capitals of Europe begging for some changes didn't help either. The optics were dreadful. If France wanted something they didn't behave like that. Ditto Germany. Any yet Britain looked and behaved like a mendicant nation with no strategy.
  • Options

RobD said:

Whether or not that is true, the motivation clearly was to disenfranchise Labour-leaning voters, and to do in time for the boundary changes. Unwanted side-effects were to pitch Britain out of the EU and Cameron and Osborne out of office.
    Actually, I suspect that the furore surrounding the whole thing, and Labour's registration drive, will have largely mitigated it. At the end of the day, I think it is right to have the onus on the person voting, rather than someone else.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, the failure of Hannibal/Carthage to win the war was indicative only of Rome's almost psychotic degree of patriotism.

I worked it out once (sadly didn't make a note of the figures) but the death toll he inflicted upon the Romans would've been the equivalent, I think, of fighting London and knocking off about four Prime Ministers, over 200 MPs and over a million people.

At almost any points in history, any other nation (or even Rome itself at another time) would've sued for peace.

In the long-term the absence of a serious rival [Carthage] led to political factions building up and politics becoming more about serving oneself than the state, weakening the Republic which had been so strong. But, at the time, the Romans were impressively nuts. They sold the field Hannibal encamped upon after Cannae for the full market price (after he'd annihilated the largest army in Roman history, four times larger than a regular consular army).

That's why sound institutions matter more than brilliant individuals. Institutions and political structures have far greater longevity and, whilst less interesting, are better for good governance than systems that focus power on individuals. It's one of the reasons Labour's fiefdom devolution idiocy was so obviously flawed, and why we need an English Parliament.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Morning all.

They call it a win because many polls had it much closer than it ended up being - as such it felt like a far bigger win, and presumed due to the campaign.

In any case a problem with sindyref was not enough positive emotional appeals about the union, and that was less of an option in the eu ref - many of the things that might be used in a positive case are not actually seen as positive by many of the public. Bless her heart Ruth Davidson actually tried for a positive case, claiming we make the rules work for us, but it was less effective than other tactics and basically a one off.
  • Options
    What's all this Watergate stuff with Corbynistas?

Sky's reports aren't making much sense.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

It's bizarre isn't it? I suppose someone in the French border ministry is getting a kick out of it. We haven't had a major incident here in a decade, and no British residents involved in European attacks at all
    That's a very complacent attitude
  • Options
    Miss Plato, saw a bit of Sky last night. Isn't it due to Jezbollah's underlings entering an MP's office without her knowledge or permission?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    fitalass said:
    On the basis of her quote in that article, she sounds a real charmer. As you would expect of JC's henchwomen. They were just like that in the Hornsey CLP in the 1970s.

• Options

Mr. kle4, the failure of Hannibal/Carthage to win the war was indicative only of Rome's almost psychotic degree of patriotism.

I worked it out once (sadly didn't make a note of the figures) but the death toll he inflicted upon the Romans would've been the equivalent, I think, of fighting London and knocking off about four Prime Ministers, over 200 MPs and over a million people.

At almost any points in history, any other nation (or even Rome itself at another time) would've sued for peace.

In the long-term the absence of a serious rival [Carthage] led to political factions building up and politics becoming more about serving oneself than the state, weakening the Republic which had been so strong. But, at the time, the Romans were impressively nuts. They sold the field Hannibal encamped upon after Cannae for the full market price (after he'd annihilated the largest army in Roman history, four times larger than a regular consular army).

That's why sound institutions matter more than brilliant individuals. Institutions and political structures have far greater longevity and, whilst less interesting, are better for good governance than systems that focus power on individuals. It's one of the reasons Labour's fiefdom devolution idiocy was so obviously flawed, and why we need an English Parliament.

The Romans were pretty nuts. Who doesn't sue for peace when you lose 80000 men in a day, the equivalent of millions today I believe? I don't know how they had enough fighting men left to win the ware ally, and still feed the country.
  • Options

RobD said:

If it is a good idea it's a good idea, regardless of motivation.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

In the 2010 coalition negotiations, there was reported Tory surprise that the LibDem negotiators seemed unaware of measures in their own manifesto. The LibDem team should have insisted on keeping their tuition fee pledge. Clegg should also not have issued his unapologetic apology where he said -- in so many words -- that LibDem manifestos should never be trusted as they could only ever be starting points in coalition deals.

The LibDems should also -- even if only for cynical reasons -- have made a greater show of talking to Labour.
  • Options

Miss Plato, saw a bit of Sky last night. Isn't it due to Jezbollah's underlings entering an MP's office without her knowledge or permission?

Corbyn's office is saying Seema had resigned so it wasn't her office anymore and they'd every right to enter.
  • Options

RobD said:

To be fair to the government, there were enough problems with elections (Lutfur Rahman, the 'banana republic' comment from a judge etc.) to make the re-registration effort reasonable and TBH long overdue. There were several letters sent to every house in the country well before the deadline. I also think it's dangerous to suggest party political motives for changes to the system when it was overseen by the independent Electoral Commission.

That all said, registration drives are always welcome in advance of a vote - the record absolute turnout of over 33.5m for the referendum was very welcome.
  • Options
    F1: there was an investigation into whether multiple cars, including both Red Bulls should've been penalised in qualifying under the 107% rule (drivers are meant to be within 107% of the fastest in a session). Seems bloody odd to me, given it was raining heavily.

Mr. kle4, there were still hundreds of thousands in Rome. Whilst a crisis, their system was incredibly resilient, and most of their allies stuck with them even after Cannae.

And the loss at Cannae followed a massive loss at Trasimene (smaller ones at Trebia and Ticinus). It would be interesting to see an alternate history where Quintus Fabius Maximus was never dictator. Without his example of frustrating Hannibal, I wonder if the Romans might have surrendered, or tried confrontation again (and lost).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    The lib who?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Morning all.

I don't remember the SNP having 50+ MPs prior to SindyRef.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Corbyn's office is saying Seema had resigned so it wasn't her office anymore and they'd every right to enter.
    That does seem plausible. It is not reported as the next day but is more than a week after resigning. But Labour politicians are very slow at these things...
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    PlatoSaid said:

So JC's team is accusing a black female MP of telling lies? Very socialist. Or have I missed something?

• Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Morning all.

OK, but that's not what you described in your first post :p
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Welcome Mr Draws

Apparently @ChesterDraws suffers from dyslexia and tourettes, so the new poster might actually be :

Chest of Drawers .. Chess Draw .. Chester Drawl .. Chester Drawbridge .. Chester Drawing .. Chester Drawstring .. F*ck Chester .. Chester B*llocks ..

Time will tell ....

• Options

F1: still no idea if I've missed something (the forecast said it'd be dry) but No Safety Car is available at 5/4 at Sportsbook, still:
    https://www.betfair.com/sport/motor-sport

I tipped it (only evens, Ladbrokes) in my pre-race piece:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/hungary-pre-race-2016.html

Thanks for your qualy review, as I didn't see the (somewhat elongated) session yesterday and will miss watching the face live today for the first time in about five years (we're on holiday and Mrs Sandpit has other plans for the day!).

Rather like Monaco, the No Safety Car tip is great if it doesn't rain, my only concern would be a repeat of Lewis' accident from Friday which required a couple of heavy trucks to repair the tyre barrier afterwards.
  • Options

F1: there was an investigation into whether multiple cars, including both Red Bulls should've been penalised in qualifying under the 107% rule (drivers are meant to be within 107% of the fastest in a session). Seems bloody odd to me, given it was raining heavily.

Mr. kle4, there were still hundreds of thousands in Rome. Whilst a crisis, their system was incredibly resilient, and most of their allies stuck with them even after Cannae.

And the loss at Cannae followed a massive loss at Trasimene (smaller ones at Trebia and Ticinus). It would be interesting to see an alternate history where Quintus Fabius Maximus was never dictator. Without his example of frustrating Hannibal, I wonder if the Romans might have surrendered, or tried confrontation again (and lost).

Good old Fabian. Turns out if the enemy keeps beating you in head to head fights, just don't give him one.

I had no idea the 107% rule was still in place. I remember it being quite prominent back in the minardi days, but I hadn't heard about it for years.
  • Options
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

Welcome Mr Draws

Apparently @ChesterDraws suffers from dyslexia and tourettes, so the new poster might actually be :

Chest of Drawers .. Chess Draw .. Chester Drawl .. Chester Drawbridge .. Chester Drawing .. Chester Drawstring .. F*ck Chester .. Chester B*llocks ..

Time will tell ....

Morning JackW. I trust you are sufficiently mended!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

JackW said:

Alistair said:

In the 2010 coalition negotiations, there was reported Tory surprise that the LibDem negotiators seemed unaware of measures in their own manifesto. The LibDem team should have insisted on keeping their tuition fee pledge. Clegg should also not have issued his unapologetic apology where he said -- in so many words -- that LibDem manifestos should never be trusted as they could only ever be starting points in coalition deals.

The LibDems should also -- even if only for cynical reasons -- have made a greater show of talking to Labour.
    Wasn’t it Labour who didn’t want to talk to the LibDems?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    kle4 said:

Morning all.

There's nothing odd in Cameron not remaining neutral, from his perspective. I'm told the 75 vote was not close and that was in line with expectations. This one was predicted to be close by most. As such, sitting it out when his job was on the line, when the country was on the line, would not have seemed viable. Some think his contributions may have been counterproductive but it made total sense he would think his job and the country's future rested on this and so he had to at least try.

When the result is not in doubt it's easy to take the noble path and sit it out. When it was set to be a no holds barred blood fest, of course he felt he had to participate.

The alternate explanation, that Cameron is so arrogant he thinks he walks on water and apparently thought stirring up internal party trouble was a great idea, doesn't seem anywhere like as plausible. Someone who was PM for 6 years and only had the referendum as he had no choice, would I think not have acted in that way unless he felt he had no choice.

He may have been wrong in that. But it makes sense.
    Plus if he hadn't done it, it would have been left to Osborne.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

If so then Corbyn opponents are running out if decent material. I'm already sick of the contest to be honest. Just beat smith and have the MPs grumble but stay in place already.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Morning all.

We had two years of campaigning and the long term trend over that period was clear, a slow but steady uptick of Yes support.

I see no reason to doubt the polls on this one.
  • Options

JackW said:

Alistair said:

Yes, but ye Lib Dems should have made much more of that. Vastly more.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I believe it vanished, and returned but is almost always ignored, making it mostly pointless.

Mr. Sandpit, one hopes Mrs. Sandpit keeps you suitably entertained.
  • Options
    agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    The Lib Dems came third in 2010.

They should have remained silent until the possibility of a coalition between the two parties ahead of them had been ruled out. There were 200 or so MPs from each of those larger parties who could have readily formed a 400 strong majority.

Most of those were, and are, more hostile to the Lib Dems than they were to each other.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Alistair said:

Yes, but ye Lib Dems should have made much more of that. Vastly more.
    There wasn’t a lot of time. Markets and the pound were jittery. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing!
  • Options
    How long will this craze last?!

Restaurants and pubs pay to become homes for Pokemon Go monsters to attract gaming customers https://t.co/8VkNNOLoWo https://t.co/Loog6e8QtF
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Restaurants and pubs pay to become homes for Pokemon Go monsters to attract gaming customers https://t.co/8VkNNOLoWo https://t.co/Loog6e8QtF

Good way to distract the proles... ;)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Morning all.

We had two years of campaigning and the long term trend over that period was clear, a slow but steady uptick of Yes support.

I see no reason to doubt the polls on this one.
    Fair enough, although I find it hard to believe a referendum would have ever resulted in a No win of 30%+. Maybe I've been spoiled by events since the referendum!
  • Options

JackW said:

Alistair said:

Both sides were well aware and prepared for the negotiations which is why they proceeded with such speed and ease.

The tuition fee pledge was a critical mistake, both in the making and the abandonment. However the essentials of Coalition, something the LibDems had argued for many a decade decades remained the same - stable, effective government in the national interest and the need for compromise on the respective manifestos.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

Good old Fabian. Turns out if the enemy keeps beating you in head to head fights, just don't give him one.

I had no idea the 107% rule was still in place. I remember it being quite prominent back in the minardi days, but I hadn't heard about it for years.
    The 107% rule is still there, it's purpose being to keep mobile chicanes out of the race rather than to adjudicate a wet qualy session. In recent years no-one has come close to it - even the crap McLaren was usually within 3-4% of the leader.

Previously there were several badly funded teams (Minardi, Simtek etc) that would do things like sit out Friday because they couldn't afford to run the cars or fix them if they broke, the 107% rule ensures they have to make more than a token effort if they want to participate in F1.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Morning all.

Wilson was not neutral in 1975. He let others campaign to avoid any anti govt vote and to avoid his need to resign if the vote was lost. Cameron would only be an asset if he was well regarded by voters but as early as mid campaign, Cameron's ratings were behind some LEAVE leaders. Osborne's ratings were in the gutter, 2% for Leadership for example. In the Sindyref they understood that they were a liability and minimised their headlining work.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It is hard for me to see how it can be sustained st its current level for too much longer, there isn't that much content in the app, but it's been a very successful one, more even than the Pokemon craze when I was at school.

I do like the chart online showing Nintendo, specifically with Pokemon, trying to encourage social interaction, with trading Pokemon in games to battling them in public, culminating in Pokemon go and the message 'go outside for f!?!'s sake'!
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, one hopes Mrs. Sandpit keeps you suitably entertained.

I guess one weekend away from the TV and Betfair, even if there's an F1 race and a Test match on, is good every once in a while! I'm sure the missus will look after me ;)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited July 2016

Morning all.

Leaving aside the alleged impact of December 2015 as a basis for boundary changes (which is open to question), the whole piece by Martha Gill who should know better having worked for the NS, Economist, FT and Telegraph, is misleading, with a lot of red flags on it. It is ill-researched and lazy.

1 - Gill hangs her claim on a 9% decline in number of 18-19 year olds on the Electoral Register between 6/2014 and 12/2015. This fails a basic context check.

The entire 18-19 cohort in the population is about 800k. So - assuming 100% registration and turnout - what impact could about 71,000 have had on a majority of iirc 1.3 million?

2 - The end date for EURef regustration was June 2016, not Dec 2015, and millions registered during that period. The Electoral Commission examines that, but Gill does not acknowledge that her data is incomplete.
    See https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/213377/The-December-2015-electoral-registers-in-Great-Britain-REPORT.pdf

eg Fig 3.3, whixh shows that between April-June 2016 there were 4.5m registrations, the vast majority online, most of which are by under-35s.

3 - Gill leads with an assumption that Cameron is politically manipulating the boundary-drawing process. It is robust to that beyond timing and marginal effects.

4 - It is very loose with its terms - "permanently disenfranchise" is simple bollocks. They are not being excluded from all future votes.

I'd say she read the short statement from Streeter, and went for stats to make a sticky news story without doing the background homework.

Discard this theory and perhaps don't rely on Gill in future?

Streeter's statement is here:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statements/?page=1&max=20&questiontype=AllQuestions&house=commons,lords&keywords=electoral
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

Welcome Mr Draws

Time will tell ....

It's amazing what sticking plaster, flagellation and leeches can do .... but enough of Labour party strife .... :smile:
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

Welcome Mr Draws

Time will tell ....

It's amazing what sticking plaster, flagellation and leeches can do .... but enough of Labour party strife .... :smile:
    Labour party strife? I thought you were talking about your weekend in Paris with Mrs JackW :D
This discussion has been closed.