Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to take the idea of President Trump seriously

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited July 2016

nunu said:

Only 60% of new Labour supporters voted Labour at last GE.

Rest were Greens and a few libdems presumably?
    Presumably quite a few voters who voted for Blair voted for Cameron in 2015 otherwise he would not have won, they are likely to stick with May over Corbyn. Some 2005 LDs and a few Greens by contrast probably voted for Ed Miliband and like Corbyn
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

John_M said:

malcolmg said:

John_M said:

JohnO said:

Plato talked about "nonsense spending", HurstLlama refers to "this wasteful department that was set up so that a few politicians could feel pleased with themselves".

All I'm seeking are concrete examples of such project failures. I don't doubt a number exist: it would be unique in government departments if there weren't. But in the (relative) absence of conspicuous blunders, is it not an unreasonable assumption that DFID must doing some good work in helping to alleviate global poverty?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/445698/Annual-Report-2014-2015.pdf

That's what Dfid thinks it achieved. I've no particular axe to grind one way or another. If we're cutting spending, look at the big targets, not the small.

If you do even a cursory scan of our ODA efforts, they're widely distributed, broad in intent - and the spend is by no means confined to DfiD. Even the Welsh Assembly has ODA programs, modest though they are.

Could we be more efficient and better targeted? Of course. Should we be spending what can be considered borrowed money? Political call.
    Bet they spend more on themselves and swanning about the world.
    We all have bats in our belfry about some aspect of government spending Malcom. Mine is debt servicing costs and pensioner benefits (for rich pensioners, don't want to grind the faces of the poor).

As part of our global branding, Dfid is probably worthwhile, if just to stop this 'isolationist' wank that the media keeps spouting. Who knew a customs union would be so vital in determining our place in the world? Possibly its because people conflate some European programs (e.g. Horizon, Erasmus) with the EU. Whatever.

I agree, it would be nice if they could manage to actually show some of these benefits to the public rather than just a PDF full of wonk speak and bullsh**. I still maintain £12B is a lkot of money being hosed about and especially as we are borrowing it to give out the largesse. I bet it could be done just as well on 50% of the cash.
    But think of the Barnet Consequentials if we didn't spend it ;)
    Exactly , more spent on people outside than Scotland gets , you could not make it up
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016
    Jonathan said:

And impressive attack ad from Clinton that you may have missed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX3Ql31URA

Her tagline is "Stronger Together".

I hope the campaign doesn't combine the success of "Stronger In" and the savviness of "Better Together".
This discussion has been closed.