Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov CON member ratings of the three still in the race ra

123457»

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Federer pulls back a set.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    He's still talking - I've watched Jeremy Kyle, read several Times articles, caught up with PB, fed the cat...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016

And the people were mocked for ignoring "experts" during the referendum.

Experts: didn't see the banking crisis, wrong on WMD's in Iraq, wrong on migration from A8 countries, wrong on the euro, wrong on migration from Bulgaria and Romania, wrong on ERM, wrong on Tory majority, wrong on oil price crash and most recently wrong on a Leave victory and will be proven wrong in a years time on Leaving the E.U.

The only experts I believe now are on pb.com, and sometimes not even them.Lol
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PlatoSaid said:

He's still talking - I've watched Jeremy Kyle, read several Times articles, caught up with PB, fed the cat...

What did you expect of Gove? .... Blair still chatting too.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

John_N4 said:

A good example is the Millennium Dome. Oh it was going to be a magnet for visitors from all around the world, like Venice. For the next 1000 years! In the end they had an opening ceremony to please Prince Charles, showing some wacky shit to do with fire people and ice people at the creation of the world, and they played tape loops at the top of the main construction, showing Rowan Atkinson putting on a funny nose. Maybe if they'd used a Benny Hill tape they'd have got 200 visitors rather than 150. It was a major scam, and to look exclusively at who lost money (we the people did!) can detract from who made money. It now belongs (at least a 999-year lease does) to Trinity College, Cambridge. You couldn't make this shit up.

Am I the only person that actually really liked the Millennium Dome? [snip]
    The Dome is fine as a building and I’m quite happy with its present usage which has been a great success. However the £billion price tag at its opening was outrageous and the PC twaddle that filled it rightly rejected by the public at large.
    I just remember some giant intestines, not sure what was PC (or not) about that...
    I remember some kind of fairground game where you had to throw a ball into coloured cups. My Dad won me a giant Bulbasaur :D (I was about 8!)

On the whole it was mediocre though.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pong said:

John_M said:

Pong said:

John_M said:

Pong said:

Sandpit said:
    That's a really disgraceful article by the telegraph.
    Why is it disgraceful?
    Seriously?
    Seriously. You should know I'm not here to score cheap points.
    She's a rape victim.

You don't see the problem with the way that article (and particularly the headline) is written?
    No. I do feel sorry for her, and sorry for a climate where she clearly felt the right thing to do was to deflect attention from the perpetrators.

It's another example that we were discussing with @nunu the other night. There are vile people of every ethnicity and religion. We should punish them all in exactly the same fashion.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,269
    nunu said:

And the people were mocked for ignoring "experts" during the referendum.

Experts: didn't see the banking crisis, wrong on WMD's in Iraq, wrong on migration from A8 countries, wrong on the euro, wrong on migration from Bulgaria and Romania, wrong on ERM, wrong on Tory majority and most recently wrong on a Leave victory and will be proven wrong in a years time on Leaving the E.U.
    Experts were right on the WMD; it’s just they were ignored.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    SeanT said:

Some more cheerful reading

Sterling headed for $1.15 and near-parity with euro

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/07/06/brace-for-sterling-at-1-15-warns-deutsche-bank/

Deutsche need to get their own house in order tbh.

I also wouldn't worry too much, once we get a new PM in place and a plan set out the markets, including FX, will begin to recover. In the mean time the sugar rush of depreciation may help us to reduce the current account deficit, if we can maintain low currency and have a plan then we could look at a rebalancing of the economy.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    wasd said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

John_M said:

Back in the olden days, if you couldn't fill vacancies, you had to make your offer more attractive. Now, you can simply import someone, Grapes of Wrath style.

Or buy a machine.

Post-brexit, if there's no real long term improvement for some I do wonder if we're going to start seeing ludd-sympathising populations in certain areas.
    You may be right. You can see why businesses love Freedom of Movement though. They've found a cheap and simple way to bypass the law of supply and demand. The Haves benefited from lower priced...everything, pretty much.
    Certainly. But if I were to write a a northern-ukip pitch then going hard at the overseas techno-scabs who designed and built pick-and-place bots (and similar) would be an easy, easy win.
    Following up your point. We've spent years fretting about immigration, while all the ingredients for true automation have been accelerating - machine vision, intelligence, mobility and so on. We may have to face a future where we don't need much unskilled or even semi-skilled labour at all.

Enfield have just deployed the first customer services bot (Amelia from IpSoft). Interesting and slightly concerning at the same time.
    Mr. M., in recent months I have read numerous articles about the advances being made in robotics (not to mention having my son bend my ear about it every time we talk). There have also been articles about how far behind the likes of Korea the UK is in this field.

Perhaps the availability of dirt cheap workers, whose wages are topped up by the taxpayer, may have something to do with the fact why companies are not investing in robotics. The end result is that the really wealthy get even richer, the poor get poorer and the middle class gets squeezed out of existence.
    The UK is run by accountants Mr L who fail to understand the effects of robotics are cumulative.

The dont go on strike, they produce consistent quality , they can work 24/7, they dont ask for annual pay rises. Over time the 2-3% they give you each year begins to mount up, but FDs looking for 3 year returns prefer cheap labour.
    They also prefer not to be lynched in the press for job losses.
    Read about this a few weeks ago on Ars iirc. San Fransisco startup looking automating burger production.

http://momentummachines.com/
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

John_M said:

Back in the olden days, if you couldn't fill vacancies, you had to make your offer more attractive. Now, you can simply import someone, Grapes of Wrath style.

Or buy a machine.

Post-brexit, if there's no real long term improvement for some I do wonder if we're going to start seeing ludd-sympathising populations in certain areas.
    You may be right. You can see why businesses love Freedom of Movement though. They've found a cheap and simple way to bypass the law of supply and demand. The Haves benefited from lower priced...everything, pretty much.
    Certainly. But if I were to write a a northern-ukip pitch then going hard at the overseas techno-scabs who designed and built pick-and-place bots (and similar) would be an easy, easy win.
    Following up your point. We've spent years fretting about immigration, while all the ingredients for true automation have been accelerating - machine vision, intelligence, mobility and so on. We may have to face a future where we don't need much unskilled or even semi-skilled labour at all.

Enfield have just deployed the first customer services bot (Amelia from IpSoft). Interesting and slightly concerning at the same time.
    Mr. M., in recent months I have read numerous articles about the advances being made in robotics (not to mention having my son bend my ear about it every time we talk). There have also been articles about how far behind the likes of Korea the UK is in this field.

Perhaps the availability of dirt cheap workers, whose wages are topped up by the taxpayer, may have something to do with the fact why companies are not investing in robotics. The end result is that the really wealthy get even richer, the poor get poorer and the middle class gets squeezed out of existence.
    Robotics sounds like the worst kind of dystopian Sci-Fi to me. Imagine a world in which humans are just couch potatoes, devoid of strength, virtue, or intelligence, because robots are doing everything. Why would the robots want to keep such drones alive?
    I expect people in the 18th century were saying similar things about Hargreaves' Spinning Jenny and the like. Machines taking over the world and all that.

What it does mean is that as pointed out up-thread we really do need to sort out our education system as a matter of urgency.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/07/06/brace-for-sterling-at-1-15-warns-deutsche-bank/

FT/DE trying to talk it down as much as possible!
    Give over.

The Financial Times now to blame for the pound hitting $1.15.

You read it here first, folks.
    Pre-referendum, the lowest figure I saw forecast for the £/$ was 1.10 (caveat, I saw all manner of outlandish claims, this was in something at least semi-reputable). I can't recall the quoted floor for the euro.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    SeanT said:

The Dome was absolutely fucking awful. Indescribably shit. And I went on a free press ticket.

I remember the faces of the families wandering around, quite stunned that they'd paid good money to see something so trite, inane, overblown and vacuous. A kind of numbed despair as they went from exhibit to exhibit, desperately seeking something - anything - of interest. They failed. I didn't see one person smiling. Not one.

Recall the Faith Zone. Let it stand for all.

It was essentially a series of observations pinned to a wall, describing different religions. One of them went like this: "Jesus Christ was the son of a carpenter, who died tragically young".

Ah, the Dome. Reminiscence mode on...

The New Millennium Experience (the year-long exhibition in 2000) was a failure because the government couldn't decide whether it should be educational or entertaining, and therefore it was neither.

But the structure itself is wonderful and its refurbishment as an entertainment complex has been a roaring success. And incidentally, to those of us who worked on the refurbishment, it is still and always will be "the Dome".
  • Options
    Fair play to Blair, he ain't hiding. I dunno whether he thinks he can salvage something from this day.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,712
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

The Sterling/USD/Euro rate is an interesting way to frame my threshold test.

At what point will the Leavers throw in their cards? $1.15, $1.00 $0.75?
    If we reached $0 the leavers would still be telling us how giving away our exports for free is good for our economy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

taffys said:

''Good point. I remember Tone sounding chuffed to blazes when he spoke about his relationship with George W, and he could barely stop himself gloating about how jealous it made the Tories. ''

I can remember reading accounts of how even Bush's neo-cons were astonished at how utterly pliant and eager Blair was to please.

A complete hoe for power.

But, ironically, Blair never even had much power. He was just a supplicant, thrown the odd bone by Bush.

What a disaster he was, in all respects.

Remember that sunny May day when he first arrived in Downing Street. Jesus Christ.
    A few hundred vote/hanging chads in 2000 changed the course of history.
    I'm not sure that's the case. Blair had been talking about Iraq with Democratic president Clinton, and there is no reason to think that Al Gore would not have invaded Afghanistan to 'get' al Qaeda after 9/11.

As for Iraq? al Gore called for inspectors to return. But that was when he was out of power and could give opposition views. Would the pressures from within the US and from Blair and others have forced his hand?

Interesting questions.
    Afghanistan would still have happened but without the rush to get to Iraq that the Bush administration desired it may well have been done a lot better.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

The Sterling/USD/Euro rate is an interesting way to frame my threshold test.

At what point will the Leavers throw in their cards? $1.15, $1.00 $0.75?
    If we reached $0 the leavers would still be telling us how giving away our exports for free is good for our economy.
    Leavers ? Who are they, the campaign is over.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,943

SeanT said:

The Dome was absolutely fucking awful. Indescribably shit. And I went on a free press ticket.

I remember the faces of the families wandering around, quite stunned that they'd paid good money to see something so trite, inane, overblown and vacuous. A kind of numbed despair as they went from exhibit to exhibit, desperately seeking something - anything - of interest. They failed. I didn't see one person smiling. Not one.

It was essentially a series of observations pinned to a wall, describing different religions. One of them went like this: "Jesus Christ was the son of a carpenter, who died tragically young".

The New Millennium Experience (the year-long exhibition in 2000) was a failure because the government couldn't decide whether it should be educational or entertaining, and therefore it was neither.

But the structure itself is wonderful and its refurbishment as an entertainment complex has been a roaring success. And incidentally, to those of us who worked on the refurbishment, it is still and always will be "the Dome".
    Let's not forget the 'Dome' was going to be in Birmingham. I was part of a delegation that persuaded Peter Mandelson that it should be in Greenwich. And I never got an invitation to the opening!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Patrick Kidd
    Blair is finally finished. Spent 1hr 51min saying he's sorry but not for the things people want him to be sorry about. Over and over again.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    So now that the damning Chilcot report is out, when will the international community take action against Tony Blair? It's patently clear that he is a war criminal. Will the fact that he was head of state of a western nation save him? Sheer hypocrisy if allegations against this criminal are not pursued...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    slade said:

SeanT said:

Let's not forget the 'Dome' was going to be in Birmingham. I was part of a delegation that persuaded Peter Mandelson that it should be in Greenwich. And I never got an invitation to the opening!
    Oh, so you'll know Angela Leadsom who led that delegation then?
This discussion has been closed.