Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot: The impact of leaving the EU on London’s techno

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    Fair enough. I disagree. My experience of observing and reporting on the tech-based start-up scene for 20+ years is that flexibility and speed are everything. Anything that slows development down is a potential killer. Low bureaucracy, plus immediate access to finance and talent are what have helped London. I guess we'll find out soon enough what happens when you take one of those components away. My guess is that we are going to do a lot of good for places like Berlin and Barcelona. I hope I'm wrong.
    You seem to be doing the usual Remain thing of assuming that Brexit = a total travel ban / work visa ban on everyone. A fully independent UK that had a sensible points system could let techie programmers in the same day if it wanted to. From India and the USA and anywhere, as well as the EU.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I'd much rather a rejuvenated British manufacturing sector, properly funded and served by banks which provides good employment across the whole country, than busting a gut to support a sector which is concentrated in a single city, which cannot possibly provide stable employment.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,132

MattW said:

How many tech-based start ups with one idea and seeking early stage funding have you worked for?

just out of interest, is there any actual evidence that the "start-up" model is actually a sensible way to do things? granted, it probably stimulates local pizza and coffee outlets. But anything else?
    Yes. Our firm, started circa 10 years ago by me and a laptop, now employs circa 50 people in 5 offices, including a number of very talented people from other EU countries.

Being in the EU has helped us. I don't see any of this 'red tape from Brussels' that the mouthfoamers keep blathering about.
    You would have seen it had you been, for example, a fisherman.
    Yes indeed. As I would have were I a farrier around the time Henry Ford was in his pomp.
    What a trite response.

Perhaps you think fish come from little brown men in the Pacific.

I'm out of the conversation.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

@Southam

"How many tech-based start ups with one idea and seeking early stage funding have you worked for"

I have worked for one, my own company with two others and we had a single revolutionary idea that included computer based learning and an in house bespoke software package we developed to support the process that could be used remotely. We put our own cash into this and looked for cash input from universities but at the time it was very restricted so plodded on ourselves anyway.

This is when CBT or CBL was in its infancy for general use anyway back in 90's though of course simulation was not new. We did work for Cable &Wireless. We also did the process for a Fibre optic jointing training school at BT, training for Scotrail on train engineering and also Toyota cars Uk and into specific areas of the Japanese function for production lines. We were rapidly overtaken as larger companies got on board and to be fair became much better. We also made an error in not expanding I suppose and having only the one main product. Could have been so much different .

So yeah fair cop.....not much really.

So you did that in the UK, with no visa issues to worry about.

Cable and Wireless and Toyota are international companies. So yes amongst others USA , Qatar and UAE. ( Qatar was the most difficult they said they could build it themselves). I don't recollect any major issues at the time other than some forms. No doubt you will tell me I was wrong but as you seem to be trying to either catch me out or prove a point despite the detail I gave there is little point in engaging further.

You also presumed the Fibre optic training school was in UK.

I am not trying to catch you out. I am trying to understand how your experience is relevant to tech-based start-ups that have no resources or time for an HR function but need immediate access to world class talent.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MattW said:

MattW said:

How many tech-based start ups with one idea and seeking early stage funding have you worked for?

just out of interest, is there any actual evidence that the "start-up" model is actually a sensible way to do things? granted, it probably stimulates local pizza and coffee outlets. But anything else?
    Yes. Our firm, started circa 10 years ago by me and a laptop, now employs circa 50 people in 5 offices, including a number of very talented people from other EU countries.

Being in the EU has helped us. I don't see any of this 'red tape from Brussels' that the mouthfoamers keep blathering about.
    Yes indeed. As I would have were I a farrier around the time Henry Ford was in his pomp.
    What a trite response.

Perhaps you think fish come from little brown men in the Pacific.

I'm out of the conversation.
    He called Leavers *mouthfoamers* too.

I'm not wasting further pixels on such silliness.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    MattW said:

But unregulated fishing would have - and nearly did - destroy North Sea fishing stocks.

Regulation was imposed to save fishes from fishermen. And it worked.

To argue that fishing is a an example of needless bureaucracy is a failure to recognise the problems that fishing had - all self generated.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964
    edited June 2016
    Patrick said:

Fair enough. I disagree. My experience of observing and reporting on the tech-based start-up scene for 20+ years is that flexibility and speed are everything. Anything that slows development down is a potential killer. Low bureaucracy, plus immediate access to finance and talent are what have helped London. I guess we'll find out soon enough what happens when you take one of those components away. My guess is that we are going to do a lot of good for places like Berlin and Barcelona. I hope I'm wrong.

You seem to be doing the usual Remain thing of assuming that Brexit = a total travel ban / work visa ban on everyone. A fully independent UK that had a sensible points system could let techie programmers in the same day if it wanted to. From India and the USA and anywhere, as well as the EU.

Precisely.

What the remainers refuse to countenance is that the UK could actually free up large chunks of admin for areas it wishes to develop, or create more tax breaks or allow more domestic sourcing to help get industries on their feet.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Roger said:

Excellent article Tech Founder. Having read your very persuasive piece I'm interested to know why you haven't managed to persuade your chum and investor RCS 1000? Your case seems overwhelming.

I work in the service sector too and everyone is worried. Advertising in the UK is second only to the US and in terms of creativity probably above them. British agencies have a presence in nearly every country in the world.

What this vote is telling them -particularly as it's based on a quasi racist campaign-is very worrying indeed

I know - the Remainers are still pushing their Racist selection criteria for working in the EU. The Leavers want to make it aracist.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Great article- but logic and reason doesn't apply to the Euro headbangers with their heady cocktail of populism, nationalism, racism and lowest common denominator and nihilistic politics.

I was watching Rai News here in Italy the other night- they were making the connection with the hooligans and Brexit showing scenes of the thugs singing fuck off EU, we're going out.
    Italy is an anglophile country- they love the English, but our currency is rapidly disintegrating. I went to a gig on Friday in Florence- we normally bring our Union Jack to these events, but we didn't. What with Brexit and it's conflation with English hooliganism who would want to associate themselves with the UK at the minute?

Brexit- you are on the wrong side of the fence at the wrong time in history. We need to be part of an evolving EU for all it's faults. If we walk away Britain, Europe and the world becomes a worse place for all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Huge jump in Remain price - 1.53/1.54.

Presumably there's a poll out.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

@Southam

"How many tech-based start ups with one idea and seeking early stage funding have you worked for"

I have worked for one, my own company with two others and we had a single revolutionary idea that included computer based learning and an in house bespoke software package we developed to support the process that could be used remotely. We put our own cash into this and looked for cash input from universities but at the time it was very restricted so plodded on ourselves anyway.

This is when CBT or CBL was in its infancy for general use anyway back in 90's though of course simulation was not new. We did work for Cable &Wireless. We also did the process for a Fibre optic jointing training school at BT, training for Scotrail on train engineering and also Toyota cars Uk and into specific areas of the Japanese function for production lines. We were rapidly overtaken as larger companies got on board and to be fair became much better. We also made an error in not expanding I suppose and having only the one main product. Could have been so much different .

Cable and Wireless and Toyota are international companies. So yes amongst others USA , Qatar and UAE. ( Qatar was the most difficult they said they could build it themselves). I don't recollect any major issues at the time other than some forms. No doubt you will tell me I was wrong but as you seem to be trying to either catch me out or prove a point despite the detail I gave there is little point in engaging further.

I am not trying to catch you out. I am trying to understand how your experience is relevant to tech-based start-ups that have no resources or time for an HR function but need immediate access to world class talent.

How's that different from any other start up ?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

That brings it to effectively 2/1 doesn't it?
  • Options
    Note : major move on Betfair overnight - currently 2.84, implied probablility 35%
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,042
    edited June 2016
    Moses_ said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

So we take back control of our immigration policy and ensure we admit the best and brightest computer science graduates from around the world, each and every year.

Next.

How would this work in practice?

Companies get a visa allocation and can use it when they want to hire?

Or people entering the UK have to show they have desired tech skills in the right area- but then they can come without a job and look?
    Agreed, it's nonsense. Using CS degrees is a utterly ineffective way to get the people you need. No point having a talent pool restricted to a bunch of web developers when you are looking for someone with (say) Java skills.
    Then you make it about skillsets and not degrees.

This isn't difficult.
    Skillsets would be pretty difficult I think. How do you prove to an immigration officer that you can code well in Java/whatever the newest thing is that tech people want?
    By having a job offer?

But the trouble with that I would guess is that it is a lot of hassle for the company...
    More barriers. You just don't get it, do you?
    This is done in many places though. I know having worked worldwide for over 40 years now. It's no real hassle to be fair and that includes most places where a security check was required and some places a full medical. If companies wish to have the person they do it and be geared for it as we were. The company also takes responsibility for the employee , no welfare, in event of medical requirements or repatriation company is responsible. Works perfectly well in many places where visa might be required. If you settle then there is commonly a points based or similar system based on what you bring to the host country.

For the record I have worked in around 100 countries worldwide and my passports ( I have two authorised passports to allow occasion applications when I may be travelling elsewhere) are stuffed with visas none of which were that arduous to get. Quite often a third party service was used with little or no hassle to me or the companies involved. In affect there is an industry that does all of this for you. Just check out Google and type visa required for a specific country and see results.
    My experience is similar to yours. I too have two passports because once the visa pages get full you need a new one fast (and one or two places don't allow you in if you have a visa for a country they don't like)

I too work in the US and Canada regularly and have always managed without a work permit by keeping my head down. They're relatively easy to get but for various reasons I haven't applied.

But the point is it's just as easy for foreigners to come here. To work in Turkey I just pay a few dollars at the airport for a visa and for Turkish clients when they return with me to London do the same at Heathrow.

So why are 'Leave' pretending that removing the visa requirement for Turks coming here has any significance? It's just a lie and their poster is so misleading and racist that I wonder why someone like you who knows the way it works doesn't feel embarrassed?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231

MattW said:

What an arrogant comment! Try saying in an Aberdeen pub on a Saturday night.
    I’m prepared to be told I’m wrong, but weren’t fish stocks running low BEFORE the CFP took effect? Compare the cod stocks (or lack of them) on the Grand Banks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,943

leave below 3. first time i can recall that.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Great article- but logic and reason doesn't apply to the Euro headbangers with their heady cocktail of populism, nationalism, racism and lowest common denominator and nihilistic politics.

I was watching Rai News here in Italy the other night- they were making the connection with the hooligans and Brexit showing scenes of the thugs singing fuck off EU, we're going out.
    Italy is an anglophile country- they love the English, but our currency is rapidly disintegrating. I went to a gig on Friday in Florence- we normally bring our Union Jack to these events, but we didn't. What with Brexit and it's conflation with English hooliganism who would want to associate themselves with the UK at the minute?

Brexit- you are on the wrong side of the fence at the wrong time in history. We need to be part of an evolving EU for all it's faults. If we walk away Britain, Europe and the world becomes a worse place for all.

You'll be telling us about the inevitability of communiusm next.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Excellent article Tech Founder. Having read your very persuasive piece I'm interested to know why you haven't managed to persuade your chum and investor RCS 1000? Your case seems overwhelming.

I work in the service sector too and everyone is worried. Advertising in the UK is second only to the US and in terms of creativity probably above them. British agencies have a presence in nearly every country in the world.

What this vote is telling them -particularly as it's based on a quasi racist campaign-is very worrying indeed

I know - the Remainers are still pushing their Racist selection criteria for working in the EU. The Leavers want to make it aracist.
    It's such a losers' argument - it's the exact opposite of the truth, but somehow they think name-calling us as racist xenophobic isolationists will work.

It's very NewSpeak. Global trade vs 28 is isolation, recruiting from everywhere is racist, looking to the whole world is xenophobic... :lol:
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

@Southam

How's that different from any other start up ?

Depends on the sector, doesn't it? If you're starting up a delivery business your potential pool of talent is rather bigger.

• Options
    @rottenborough It was below 3 for a long time a couple of months ago.
  • Options

It went briefly to 2.7 some months back.

It was claimed at the time though the price was being 'manipulated' by a rich leave backer.

A stable shortening this time though.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Wheel, could you elaborate on that?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

Gordon Brown is back
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    tyson said:

Most of the so-called English hooliganism has been defensive after attacks by Russian and French gangs. Football hooliganism is not a major problem in England any more but as anyone who has travelled abroad to support an English club in Europe will tell you, the continent can be a dangerous place.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

No, I am assuming that Brexit means work visas. Can you tell me how the same day entry system will work?

• Options
    edited June 2016

Boo.

And I levelled off my Leave position last night for safety.

Ah well, a good profit in the hand...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    tyson said:

I went to a gig on Friday in Florence- we normally bring our Union Jack to these events, but we didn't. What with Brexit and it's conflation with English hooliganism who would want to associate themselves with the UK at the minute?

I am calling Bull on this.

The thought that Tyson has a Union Jack and habitually takes it to gigs is just so funny.

There really should be a prize for the smelliest piece of Bullshit on each side.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,247

An excellent, real world article. Top class talent arrives in London and finds work. Companies get built, they grow, more jobs are created, more tax revenues are generated, the cake gets bigger. Visas kills this stone dead. You need a job before you can come.

Yup. The visas you need to enter the United States have already killed Silicon Valley stone dead.
    Not quite yet, but it's getting there - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/us/large-companies-game-h-1b-visa-program-leaving-smaller-ones-in-the-cold.html?_r=0 -

"The outsourcing firms are increasingly dominating the program, federal records show. In recent years, they have obtained many thousands of the visas — which are limited to 85,000 a year — by learning to game the H-1B system without breaking the rules"

H-1Bs are useless for startups. You need to apply in the first 5 days of April to get into the lottery, and then you've perhaps a 1/3 to 1/4 chance of your candidate getting selected. After that it'll be at least a six month wait for a visa. Fortunately for them, US startups have a large pool of American talent.

We could have a quotaless system, but then that's not really controlled migration, and it's hard to see how some sort of stricter quotaless system would be achievable without a lot more red tape.
    There's no reason we have to adopt the American system of doing it. We could, for example, have a strong bias in favour of small start-ups.

My view on controlled migration is that we'd move to a mix of immigrants from around the world with high-end skills we need, rather than admitting anyone who wishes to come here from the EU no matter what their skills.

I see that as common sense though, I accept, it is a chance to the current system and change means adapting.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    The Orlando shooting is a real inkblot of all the US' problems percieved and real depending on your views:

Islamic terrorism spreading to the US.
    Homegrown New York terrorist.
    Lax gun control laws.
    Homophobic attack.
    Lone wolf attack.
    "Inspired" by IS.
    Insufficient help for a mentally unstable man.
    Easy access to assault weapons for the mentally ill.
  • Options

Gordon Brown is back
    :lol:

I saw a brief clip of him yesterday - my blood still ran cold. He was even worse - all pontificating and no substance. Tony was just the same.

Hezza was much better at making the Remain case, until he called Brexit racist - and it all went downhill from there.

Boris is spot on today with this line about immigration "The Remainers have nothing to say. Their mouths just open and shut, wordlessly."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,943
    MattW said:

Boo.

Is there a poll due? Otherwise might be just rumours coming from Labour MPs returning from a weekend of canvassing with ashen faces.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited June 2016
    Ms Plato,

Thanks for the reference to the article. A lot of sense there. I was going to say "for a change" because most journalists are "lazy, drunken and ignorant." just as Guardian journalists are smug, arrogant, know-it-alls, as well.

Easy, isn't it? And a way to make yourself feel superior, which is why they do it themselves.
  • Options

It went briefly to 2.7 some months back.

It was claimed at the time though the price was being 'manipulated' by a rich leave backer.

A stable shortening this time though.
    No - it went to 2.81 - and then shot up to 2.9 - now 2.86. - you can see £42 at 2.82 - so someone is manipulating.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Thanks for the reference to the article. A lot of sense there. I was going to say "for a change" because most journalists are "lazy, drunken and ignorant." just as Guardian journalists are smug, arrogant, know-it-alls, as well.

Easy, isn't it? And a way to make yourself feel superior, which is why they do it themselves.

Owen Jones wrote a book about it called Chavs. Well worth a read.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671

Patrick said:

Precisely.

What the remainers refuse to countenance is that the UK could actually free up large chunks of admin for areas it wishes to develop, or create more tax breaks or allow more domestic sourcing to help get industries on their feet.
    Yep our civil servants would be freed up to ensure that we comply with all EU regulations as they would continue to apply to us; and also to set up a WTO negotiating and implementation team; and also to set up a UK Imperial Cry Freedom Standards committee.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    MattW said:

Boo.

I added another grand to my Remain position over the weekend....
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,387

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Let me declare an interest, since I am involved in the Tallinn tech scene, being based here in Estonia. (Amongst other things, I am also the President of the British Estonian Chamber of Commerce). Estonia has a good claim to being the most technologically advanced society in the world and has become a stand out place for the development of new technology: not just Skype or Transferwise, but a whole new Fintech scene is being developed by Estonians both in Tallinn and in the UK.

The idea that the UK can just walk away from the entire European project, expecting that the rest of Europe will be just fine with that, defies credulity. A lot of people will be extremely angry at the disruption and chaos that would be caused, and in any Brexit negotiations even the UK's friends are set to be playing hardball.

So does that mean next time Vladimir gets a bit pushy, the Estonians won't be asking us to help out ? I mean if they're screwing us to the wall and can't accept that we've got as much right to freedom as they have, why should we be sending body bags to council estates in Manchester or Glasgow ?
    The UK and Estonia are very close military allies, but as your hostile attitude shows: even that incredibly close relationship is now seen to be at risk. The point is that Vlad's nukes are pointed at your house as much (if not more) than they are pointed at Tallinn: if you don't recognize that Putin is a common threat, then that would make the UK a pretty unreliable ally. The Brexit debate is already suggesting to some of the UK's best friends that Britain cannot be relied on. Good news is 10,000 US troops are moving to the eastern flank. Bad news is that the US is just as pi**ed off with the UK as everyone else.

The implied threat to NATO that you and others make is only adding to the deep concern.
    Tosh.

You raised the issue of a minnow making a threat, frankly HMG will stand by its NATO commitments as it always does. But if Estonia really was that interested in keeping the UK in the EU then it should have stuck its neck out to say there is a serious issue in the UK which we need to solve and people like yourself on trade councils should have been making that point clearly to your opposite numbers.

You didn't.
    Well of course we did!!!!

As soon as it become clear that there was a real risk, all of the European Chambers spoke out- just because we were dismissed as just a another bunch or irrelevant "experts" does not make our warnings any the less. COBCOE and other umbrella organisations have spoken out in the strongest possible terms. We have no doubt: even the threat of Brexit is causing damage. A Brexit reality would be drastically more difficult for British business and British interests across Europe and around the world. All neutral research points out the economic damage - and frankly the majority of British business is furious that our clear concerns have been been dismissed out of hand by post truth politicians.

Dismiss these clear warnings as "project fear" all you like- but be in no doubt there will be a very large price to pay for a withdrawal from the EU. It really is even a risk to the system of collective security- as your previous threat to link NATO to EU negotiations makes crystal clear. The damage is being done today, now. Even after a Remain vote it will take some time to restore the image of Brand UK, and a Brexit will cost years and billions of Pounds before any recovery would come.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,574

Yep - that's the spirit.

It is, one set of rules for all industries, and two fingers up to any industry's special pleading.
  • Options
    "Some equality provisions have come from the centre-right – it was a Conservative Government that introduced a Disability Discrimination Act – but their driving force (let’s face it) has usually come from the Left .........But if it is true that the Left has been foremost in pushing the cause of equality, including gay equality, it is also true that parts of the Left are in cahoots with those who would destroy it. A far left-Islamist alliance is struggling to dominate the Left, and has already chalked up some victories – including the presence within the Labour Party, one of the great public institutions of British life, of an anti-semitism so vicious that even its present leadership could not deny an official inquiry. Those who come for Jews today will come for gays tomorrow. This is a truth more comprehensively grasped on the Right of politics now than on the Left."
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/06/orlando-a-british-born-preacher-says-death-is-the-sentence-for-gay-people-only-a-few-months-later-scores-are-murdered.html
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I really do like Brendan. He hosted an event for me years ago and was a bit scary/intense - but he cuts right through to the heart of the matter without fear.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It is extraordinary that the odds on Leave are not shorter. Great for betting, but just totally bizarre. All the indications are that Remain know they're finished. Even SamCam made a DPS appearance yesterday. Next it'll be the Queen letting slip a quiet comment.

• Options
    edited June 2016

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I heard several intv with him when he was selling the book - I'd rather stab myself with a fork than read it. He's got far too many axes to grind. He wants to be Billy Elliott.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

@Southam

Moses- my brother is a leading tech entrepreneur, and now working as a Chief Operating Officer for a major company in the US- he is responsible for thousands of staff. For him, with all his qualifications, it was difficult enough to get his VISA, but he has really struggled to bring across many of his old team from Manchester.

My wife worked for a major publisher- she had to fill a niche role in her company in the UK, and it took over 9 months to get the applicant in from outside the EU. If we leave the EU- this process will only become more cumbersome as more pressure will be placed on the system.

Quite how you are able to work hither and thither is beyond me. Were you being employed as a permanent member of staff by a US company? But leaving the UK will seriously restrict the flow of excellent pool of Labour we have access to from Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland etc.....
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

Be of good cheer Tyson. The Italians where I live are full of admiration for Britain in standing up to our common EU oppressors. You can safely wave the Union Flag with pride in your new homeland.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

There does seem to be a lot of opprobrium targeted at white, British people on here from a few people. "Bingo players from Preston", "ignorant" and that's without going into fruitcakes, loons etc. Typical racist-type prejudice hidden under a smug and arrogant superiority complex. Perhaps we should call these posh racists what they are?

Bigots.

Roger can be funny and informative, but a democrat he is not.

Lord Snooty and some metropolitan liberals do have a lot in common. Lady bucket is a prime example, and Roger, despite some of his endearing qualities is too

The problem is that stereotyping is common to all groups in society - I'm guilty of it myself - but at least I know I'm doing it.

Here we go ... Muslims tend to hate gays and blow people up, gays tend to be drama queens, luvvies are self-obsessed monomaniacs, scousers have a chip on both shoulders, gypos are thieves (see also scousers), and that's without starting on "darkies".

It's just happens that some are acceptable to the Establishment.

Edit: the professional whingers say it's all about power. Since when has the wwc been "powerful"?

I used a bingo hall in Preston because Laura Kuenssberg did a vox pop from there. She asked how many were for 'Leave' and it was unanimous. She then asked why and every answer was about keeping 'them' out
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120

MattW said:

What an arrogant comment! Try saying in an Aberdeen pub on a Saturday night.
    I’m prepared to be told I’m wrong, but weren’t fish stocks running low BEFORE the CFP took effect? Compare the cod stocks (or lack of them) on the Grand Banks.
    There had been some decline yes and overfishing had been a problem but no where near on the scale of what was seen after we joined the CFP. Look at the history of the collapse of stocks in the Irish box or look at the way Norway has maintained very successful fish stocks and a healthy fishing industry thanks to being outside the CFP.

And much of the problem with the Grand Banks lay with massive Spanish fishing fleets destroying stocks - just as they have done down the West Coast of Africa, destroying the livelihoods of the local fishermen there as well.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I heard several intv with him when he was selling the book - I'd rather stab myself with a fork than read it. He's got far too many axes to grind. He wants to be Billy Elliott.

Stabbing myself with a fork......that's rather the feeling I get when I see your obsessive posting on this site. Do you ever the time out from pbCOM?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Let me declare an interest, since I am involved in the Tallinn tech scene, being based here in Estonia. (Amongst other things, I am also the President of the British Estonian Chamber of Commerce). Estonia has a good claim to being the most technologically advanced society in the world and has become a stand out place for the development of new technology: not just Skype or Transferwise, but a whole new Fintech scene is being developed by Estonians both in Tallinn and in the UK.

The idea that the UK can just walk away from the entire European project, expecting that the rest of Europe will be just fine with that, defies credulity. A lot of people will be extremely angry at the disruption and chaos that would be caused, and in any Brexit negotiations even the UK's friends are set to be playing hardball.

So does that mean next time Vladimir gets a bit pushy, the Estonians won't be asking us to help out ? I mean if they're screwing us to the wke is only adding to the deep concern.
    Tosh.

You raised the issue of a minnow making a threat, frankly HMG will stand by its NATO commitments as it always does. But if Estonia really was that interested in keeping the UK in the EU then it should have stuck its neck out to say there is a serious issue in the UK which we need to solve and people like yourself on trade councils should have been making that point clearly to your opposite numbers.

You didn't.

As soon as it become clear that there was a real risk, all of the European Chambers spoke out- just because we were dismissed as just a another bunch or irrelevant "experts" does not make our warnings any the less. COBCOE and other umbrella organisations have spoken out in the strongest possible terms. We have no doubt: even the threat of Brexit is causing damage. A Brexit reality would be drastically more difficult for British business and British interests across Europe and around the world. All neutral research points out the economic damage - and frankly the majority of British business is furious that our clear concerns have been been dismissed out of hand by post truth politicians.

Dismiss these clear warnings as "project fear" all you like- but be in no doubt there will be a very large price to pay for a withdrawal from the EU. It really is even a risk to the system of collective security- as your previous threat to link NATO to EU negotiations makes crystal clear. The damage is being done today, now. Even after a Remain vote it will take some time to restore the image of Brand UK, and a Brexit will cost years and billions of Pounds before any recovery would come.
    Well then we can agree on you weren't very effective or we wouldn't be where we are today.

Likewise if you're telling me that I'm basically in a street gang where I have to pay dues to stay in and I'll get knifed if I leave, I really don't want to be in that organsiation.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

That's the spirit. Best to shut yourself off from views that don't reinforce your own prejudices.

• Options
    glw said:

Yep - that's the spirit.

It is, one set of rules for all industries, and two fingers up to any industry's special pleading.

Absolutely. This is a black and white world, without nuance and complexity. There are simple solutions to everything.

• Options
    Is anyone on here near NW8 ?

If so is it raining ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

It's such a losers' argument - it's the exact opposite of the truth, but somehow they think name-calling us as racist xenophobic isolationists will work.

It's very NewSpeak. Global trade vs 28 is isolation, recruiting from everywhere is racist, looking to the whole world is xenophobic... :lol:
    Yep. Clearly Tyson is a frustrated Imperialist who would have been far more at home in the 19th century when European powers were exporting their unique brand of civilisation to the ill educated masses around the world. Under his warped world view preferential treatment to 7% of the world's population who happen to be overwhelmingly white whilst keeping out the remaining 93% is enlightened.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

That's the spirit. Best to shut yourself off from views that don't reinforce your own prejudices.

Golly, you really do yourself no favours here with such silly remarks. Still, it's an improvement on "if only you were as clever as me you'd understand" - a stock in trade of yours for quite a time.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    Pulpstar said:

If so is it raining ?

Not currently. Looks decidedly damp though.
  • Options

Eugh, as a STEM graduate this article incenses me.

I also have a masters degree in engineering and my secondary education was in maths, physics and chemistry.

Remainers do not speak for us.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cicero said:

If the rest of the EU wanted us in then they should have given Cameron a much better "deal" than the incredibly weak one we were given.

You can't complain about someone walking away if they say to you "we need something different" and you effectively laugh in their face and dismiss them.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,921
    Cicero said:

The way it has been developing is very interesting though. Many Estonian entrepreneurs set up UK registered businesses and use British service providers and investors to develop corporate infrastructure through which they develop their products and wider intellectual property. Relatively speaking, London/UK does not have a lot of home grown intellectual property, but it does have infrastructure which is used by a lot of people from elsewhere. Incidentally the connections between the Tallinn tech providers and the UK have helped upgrade the DVLC, for example.

Until quite recently Estonians did not take the threat of Brexit seriously, but now they are, it is already causing a lot of second thoughts about this well tried business model. Even now, getting critical programmers from say Belarus, Ukraine or Russia over to London, even those who have Schengen visas, so are based in Tallinn, is already a slow and expensive process. Nor is the problem just a practical one: the attitude that would be implied by the sudden imposition of blanket visa requirements will drive the techies away faster than the reality itself. Several start ups are suggesting to me that Berlin is now a safer bet than London.

The referendum debate has been viewed with first bemusement, then concern and now a mixture of shock and anger. This debate has quietly trashed the UK's reputation for intelligence, tolerance and openness, and frankly I just don't see any post Brexit government (if that is what happens) being able to recover the damage to the UK brand anytime soon. The quality of the debate, especially the casual dismissal of the opinion of "experts" in favour of some visceral hunches has been particularly shocking to the well educated and well informed Estonians, the population of a country that is one of the UK's closest friends in the EU and NATO.

Lots to chew on here, Cicero. The point is well made that it isn't just EU versus non-EU. The two are linked. So if it is more difficult to get EU staff to the UK than to other places in Europe, we won't be substituting non-EU staff. The business won't be here any more.

It's the same issue I was struggling with during the Scottish independence referendum. I don't get why highly intelligent people [like most of the contributors on this forum] don't realise that moving from a highly integrated system to no effective system at all will lead to a very nasty effect on the economy. I guess we all suffer from wishful thinking.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

It's written from the Left, and I think he misses some key points as a result, but I agree it's a good book and well worth a read.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,273
    Pulpstar said:

If so is it raining ?

Not raining in Covent Garden but it's pretty dark outside. Looks like rain is on the way:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
  • Options
    @FT Brussels has an article on the mechanics of Brexit:

http://blogs.ft.com/brusselsblog/2016/06/13/brussels-briefing-brexit-soft-landing/

"He [Donald Tusk] later says divorce will be “sad” but manageable within 2 years. But he notes a parallel trade deal – setting the future EU-UK relationship – will be far tougher, and take at least another 5 years after the divorce, if it can be agreed at all. Long as it seems, this 7-year drift is actually optimistic version of the “decade of uncertainty” that David Cameron and Whitehall have described."

Seven years is broadly in line with what I suggested a few months ago. Regular pbers went into meltdown then.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Yep. Clearly Tyson is a frustrated Imperialist who would have been far more at home in the 19th century when European powers were exporting their unique brand of civilisation to the ill educated masses around the world. Under his warped world view preferential treatment to 7% of the world's population who happen to be overwhelmingly white whilst keeping out the remaining 93% is enlightened.

I suspect Tyson's world view would be to let in more of the 93%, rather than restricting the 7%. But that will never happen. Instead, there will be more restrictions on everyone. It is very safe to say, I think, that when we leave the EU we will not see more immigration from non-EU countries. How could we when we are being promised a lower overall cap?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tele

David Cameron's EU campaign has been criticised as 'irresponsible' by a top Tory donor

8:01am
    Top Tory donor withdraws financial support
    One of David Cameron's biggest donors has withdrawn his financial support for the Conservatives and is considering quitting the party over the way the Prime Minister has handled the referendum, the Telegraph can reveal.

Edi Truell, a pensions expert who has donated over £270,000 since 2010, said he will only hand over money if Boris Johnson or Michael Gove take over from Mr Cameron after a Brexit vote.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MattW said:

Boo.

I'm all green, but not quite as green as I could have been. Laid off at 3.1
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

So does that mean next time Vladimir gets a bit pushy, the Estonians won't be asking us to help out ? I mean if they're screwing us to the wall and can't accept that we've got as much right to freedom as they have, why should we be sending body bags to council estates in Manchester or Glasgow ?
    The UK and Estonia are very close military allies, but as your hostile attitude shows: even that incredibly close relationship is now seen to be at risk. The point is that Vlad's nukes are pointed at your house as much (if not more) than they are pointed at Tallinn: if you don't recognize that Putin is a common threat, then that would make the UK a pretty unreliable ally. The Brexit debate is already suggesting to some of the UK's best friends that Britain cannot be relied on. Good news is 10,000 US troops are moving to the eastern flank. Bad news is that the US is just as pi**ed off with the UK as everyone else.

The implied threat to NATO that you and others make is only adding to the deep concern.
    Tosh.

You didn't.
    Well said.
    On a side note, Labour's 48 hour referendum intervention will be pushed aside as a result of the Orlando shooting.
    And Pistorius.
    MP_SE said: On a side note, Labour's 48 hour referendum intervention will be pushed aside as a result of the Orlando shooting.
    PlatoSaid And Pistorius.
    Add to this Migration Watch 200,000 a year forecast for immigration, EURO 2016 hooliganism, will England be booted out and the actual EURO2016 football team news.....

The referendum will get its media time severely squeezed for the remaining 10 days.

• Options
    Off topic, the blanket Remain advertising is back in Canary Wharf this morning. This time, a slightly different tack: they are now flying the flag (union flag) and appealing to vote Remain to "keep Britain great".

My reading is that someone in Remain is recognising they need "heart" to compete with Leave, as well as what they think is head, and this is their attempt to engage it.

It will be interesting to see if this is the new line nationally over the next 10 days.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

It's written from the Left, and I think he misses some key points as a result, but I agree it's a good book and well worth a read.
    Owen Jones is a naturally gifted polemicist. Much like Michael Moore, or Hitchens. I doubt ultimately, they believe everything they write, but that is the nature of polemics- it creates a debate.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

I suspect Tyson's world view would be to let in more of the 93%, rather than restricting the 7%. But that will never happen. Instead, there will be more restrictions on everyone. It is very safe to say, I think, that when we leave the EU we will not see more immigration from non-EU countries. How could we when we are being promised a lower overall cap?

The person who promised the cap will be long gone by then.

On the subject of Tyson please do remember this is the man who thinks that anyone whose views he finds distasteful by his own warped logic should not be allowed to vote. Who knows what goes on in that strange mind of his.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

http://blogs.ft.com/brusselsblog/2016/06/13/brussels-briefing-brexit-soft-landing/

"He [Donald Tusk] later says divorce will be “sad” but manageable within 2 years. But he notes a parallel trade deal – setting the future EU-UK relationship – will be far tougher, and take at least another 5 years after the divorce, if it can be agreed at all. Long as it seems, this 7-year drift is actually optimistic version of the “decade of uncertainty” that David Cameron and Whitehall have described."

Seven years is broadly in line with what I suggested a few months ago. Regular pbers went into meltdown then.

But as you post - this will be in parallel and current arrangements will continue in the mean time.

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,387

Cicero said:

If the rest of the EU wanted us in then they should have given Cameron a much better "deal" than the incredibly weak one we were given.

You can't complain about someone walking away if they say to you "we need something different" and you effectively laugh in their face and dismiss them.
    Cameron got virtually all he asked for. He was not laughed at- it was taken very seriously. The fact was that the negotiations were extremely tough. The idea that the UK was derided is a product of paranoia. Mostly the UK goes with the majority in the EU- up to 80% of the time, which is a higher percentage than most other states. Do you expect that it should be 100% of the time, and that no other national interests should be respected expect those of the UK?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Golly, you really do yourself no favours here with such silly remarks. Still, it's an improvement on "if only you were as clever as me you'd understand" - a stock in trade of yours for quite a time.

Yesterday you announced you've stopped reading Dan Hodges because he is too pro-EU. A few weeks back, the once lauded Matthew Parris was consigned to oblivion. You'd rather stab yourself than read Owen Jones. I'm afraid there's a pattern here, even if you don't recognise it. There are plenty of very clever people on here who get my arguments, even if they don't agree with them. We have some great conversations and sometimes heated ones. They're all enjoyable. There are, of course, some less intelligent posters too.

• Options

Cicero said:

Quite so. This shows the huge chasm in thinking between continental European business leaders and politicians, and that of the British electorate.

Which is another reason to Vote Leave and put our relationship on a more sustainable footing for both sides.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Roger said:

I'm sure you might see it like that but if that's the case why are Leave running such an overtly racist campaign? Is the idea that once you're over the line you can discard that nonsense?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cameron got virtually all he asked for. He was not laughed at- it was taken very seriously. The fact was that the negotiations were extremely tough. The idea that the UK was derided is a product of paranoia. Mostly the UK goes with the majority in the EU- up to 80% of the time, which is a higher percentage than most other states. Do you expect that it should be 100% of the time, and that no other national interests should be respected expect those of the UK?
    Cameron may have asked for a little more if he'd thought that there was the remotest chance that he'd have achieved it.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016

That's the EU bureaucracy for you. Seven years to do an honest week's work. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

LOL. I never ceased to be amazed just how divorced from reality some of the Remainders are on here.

Cameron asked for almost nothing and got less.

And the EU loses more votes in Council than any other country in the EU. So your claim that we are in the majority more often than most other states is simply wrong.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Don't expect you to agree, SO, but FWIW I would accept net immigration of high skilled labour from around the world at between 100k-200k per year (a bit higher than current Tory pledge) provided we planned and built the right infrastructure to accommodate it.

I see a net population increase of between 1-2 million every 10 years as just about manageable, in the long-term, but no more.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Cicero, then what Cameron asked for was contemptible. His claims it was a great success have been widely mocked, as have many of his utterances since.

The upper echelon of British politics (or part of it) seem more interested in appeasing Brussels than acting in the interests of the UK electorate. It may actually be the case that the EU is only half the problem, and supine British politicians are the rest.

Either way, the electorate has, to a large extent, been less than impressed.

I still expect Remain to win, mind.

Edited extra bit: it appears the Skyrim remaster may be full-price, which would be taking the piss.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    MattW said:

MP_SE said:

MattW said:

Boo.

I'm all green, but not quite as green as I could have been. Laid off at 3.1
    I was very green at one point. I was hoping to exit my position when the odds on Remain shortened to 1.2 ish. I think the polls today will give indication of whether or not this will happen.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

The Orlando shooting is a real inkblot of all the US' problems percieved and real depending on your views:

Islamic terrorism spreading to the US.
    Homegrown New York terrorist.
    Lax gun control laws.
    Homophobic attack.
    Lone wolf attack.
    "Inspired" by IS.
    Insufficient help for a mentally unstable man.
    Easy access to assault weapons for the mentally ill.

Agreed.

And I do think the Islamic-terror aspect in this case was a convenient added-extra for the sick bloke, who was probably driven first by homophobia and bitterness towards the West. I suspect it's easy to wind yourself up to fury when you then sprinkle your in-built prejudices with extremist Islamist literature. Linking it to ISIS then makes it an even bigger story, when in reality those in Syria, Libya and Iraq have probably had zero to do with it.

Re Owen Jones - and I'm not aiming to have a pop here. Why was he so riled by Julia Hartley-Brewer calling the murderer a 'lunatic'?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2016
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

No he didn't look at the Bloomberg speech for what he opened up asking for. He got very little of it. Eventually he asked for next to nothing as he'd been told he wouldn't get anything ambitious and he still didn't get all that.
  • Options
    Roger said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

I'm sure you might see it like that but if that's the case why are Leave running such an overtly racist campaign? Is the idea that once you're over the line you can discard that nonsense?
    But the ARENT running a racist campaign - can't you get that through your thick skull.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Tele

David Cameron's EU campaign has been criticised as 'irresponsible' by a top Tory donor

One of David Cameron's biggest donors has withdrawn his financial support for the Conservatives and is considering quitting the party over the way the Prime Minister has handled the referendum, the Telegraph can reveal.

Edi Truell, a pensions expert who has donated over £270,000 since 2010, said he will only hand over money if Boris Johnson or Michael Gove take over from Mr Cameron after a Brexit vote.

"Mr Truell warned that remaining in the EU would be more damaging to pension funds because of legislation planned by Brussels.

"The much greater risk is remaining within the EU, they've got explicit plans to destroy British pensions," he warned, adding: "All the final salary funds will go bankrupt and their companies will go bankrupt supporting them, that's about 8,000 pension funds in the private sector."

Mr Truell said that similar legislation imposed on insurance companies had cost the industry over £3billion."
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Don't expect you to agree, SO, but FWIW I would accept net immigration of high skilled labour from around the world at between 100k-200k per year (a bit higher than current Tory pledge) provided we planned and built the right infrastructure to accommodate it.

I see a net population increase of between 1-2 million every 10 years as just about manageable, in the long-term, but no more.

I believe in immigration that helps the economy, so I am not that focused on whether it is highly-skilled as long as it is productive. Net immigration targets are going to be a lot trickier post Brexit as we'll have fewer emigrants.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

Tele

"Mr Truell warned that remaining in the EU would be more damaging to pension funds because of legislation planned by Brussels.

"The much greater risk is remaining within the EU, they've got explicit plans to destroy British pensions," he warned, adding: "All the final salary funds will go bankrupt and their companies will go bankrupt supporting them, that's about 8,000 pension funds in the private sector."

Mr Truell said that similar legislation imposed on insurance companies had cost the industry over £3billion."
    Won't all the final salary schemes go bankrupt because they have to invest in gilts and other Gov't borrowings with return free risk ?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Yesterday you announced you've stopped reading Dan Hodges because he is too pro-EU. A few weeks back, the once lauded Matthew Parris was consigned to oblivion. You'd rather stab yourself than read Owen Jones. I'm afraid there's a pattern here, even if you don't recognise it. There are plenty of very clever people on here who get my arguments, even if they don't agree with them. We have some great conversations and sometimes heated ones. They're all enjoyable. There are, of course, some less intelligent posters too.

There you go again. Reading the views of someone with a very biased opinion adds no light. I take no pleasure in reading Mr Parris when his articles contain nothing but abuse.

It's really not very hard to understand - for someone as clever as you - or perhaps it is :wink:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

Tele

Ouch.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231
    weejonnie said:

Roger said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

But the ARENT running a racist campaign - can't you get that through your thick skull.
    Xenophobic yes, but, to be fair, it’s not racist. Some at least seem to hate all ‘furriners”!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cameron may have asked for a little more if he'd thought that there was the remotest chance that he'd have achieved it.
    Cameron might have got a little more if Merkel thought there was the remotest chance he was serious.

Unfortunately, he made it quite clear to her that he was fully pro-EU and just needed a semi-credible bone to throw to his backbenchers, and to get it out the way asap.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

On the subject of Tyson please do remember this is the man who thinks that anyone whose views he finds distasteful by his own warped logic should not be allowed to vote. Who knows what goes on in that strange mind of his.
    Apart from some gentle digging at Plato or seanT I don't make ad hominem attacks here. Playing the ball rather than the man so to speak.

My point on disenfranchising Brexiters has really got under your skin. Actually, the most persuasive political text I have read is Plato's Republic. Democracy has on occasion proved to be quite catastrophic. Collectively, people can make some quite horrendous choices.

For the governance of Plato's Republic to work we need governors without ego, self interest, personal baggage, wealth, emotional connections to family etc...but who are highly intelligent.
    Narcissists such as Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Donald Trump, Putin are the exact opposite of Plato's ideal governor.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    tyson said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Owen Jones is a naturally gifted polemicist. Much like Michael Moore, or Hitchens. I doubt ultimately, they believe everything they write, but that is the nature of polemics- it creates a debate.
    Agreed - he is a very good writer and communicator. I've read his book The Establishment too. He does a better job that most Labour MPs at needling the Tories and the centre-right.

Maybe I'm a bit thick (I'm certainly not very thin-skinned, and therefore don't get easily offended) but I don't understand why Jones was so wound-up last night. Clearly he was upset (which is obviously understandable) but what did JHB or the SKY guy say to offend him? They all looked as though they were pretty much agreeing.
  • Options
    SPMLSPML Posts: 17
    weejonnie said:

Roger said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Hmmm incredibly xenophobic, bordering on racist. Thoroughly depressing on so many levels.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

I believe in immigration that helps the economy, so I am not that focused on whether it is highly-skilled as long as it is productive. Net immigration targets are going to be a lot trickier post Brexit as we'll have fewer emigrants.

And we are back to the GDP vs GDP per capita argument and Osborne using high immigration instead of a proper economic policy to pump up GDP whilst reducing GDP per capita.
  • Options
    Those will be the proposed pensions changes considered by the EU and specifically abandoned.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Listen to the sob story of this wanker psychologist in South Africa.

Judge should go lenient because Pistorius is upset at being found guilty, and people have been nasty to him because he's a murderer...
  • Options
    tyson said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Owen Jones identified a real issue: the widespread contempt that working class people provoke in this country across the political spectrum and their complete marginalisation. Brexit will be one of the consequences of that.

• Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Apart from some gentle digging at Plato or seanT I don't make ad hominem attacks here. Playing the ball rather than the man so to speak.

I've got to admire your chutzpah.

Do you need reminding of what you called me, Sean Fear, Richard T and other Leavers the other day?

Or was that just the alcohol talking?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409

Off topic, the blanket Remain advertising is back in Canary Wharf this morning. This time, a slightly different tack: they are now flying the flag (union flag) and appealing to vote Remain to "keep Britain great".

My reading is that someone in Remain is recognising they need "heart" to compete with Leave, as well as what they think is head, and this is their attempt to engage it.

It will be interesting to see if this is the new line nationally over the next 10 days.

I hear they're going to start running with images of Canary Wharf in the early 1970s before Britain joined the EU.

"Don't Return to This" will be the slogan.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,952

PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Roger said:

Can I ask though what led you to come up with that number for a manageable population increase?

Also- net migration accounts for about half of population growth...
This discussion has been closed.