Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls have it neck and neck

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls have it neck and neck

There’s also a third poll, a YouGov poll for The Sunday Telegraph/Adam Smith Institute but the fieldwork for that was conducted at the start of the week, so isn’t as recent as The Sunday Times poll but finds the same result. Next week we should be seeing at least two phone polls, Ipsos Mori and Survation. It’ll be interesting to see if they are also seeing the race narrowing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    Neck and next so 1st
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Neck and next so 1st

And err..1st
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Third - Like Amber Rudd's after party driver!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Fourth!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    What about the Telegraph poll?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Corbyn can condemn him without using those exact words, so Falconer will be fine.

I find I've gone off the idea of Boris as PM, but it's hard to see how it can be avoided - either an unknown Leaver shocks all and emerges, or May has to overcome being on the losing side. (Obviously next PM could be years away rather than a few weeks, in which case I think increases the odds it will be someone other than Boris, but still a Leaver)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited June 2016

Mentioned in the thread header.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It does show how far we've come that we now treat a poll with a narrow LEAVE lead, 11 days before the vote, with a yawn and a shrug.

If any of us had claimed, a year ago, that LEAVE would be narrowly ahead less than two weeks before the referendum, they'd have been laughed to scorn.

A LEAVE lead is the new normal. So LEAVE are likely to win. Discuss.

Didn't Richard Nabavi say REMAIN would win by 20%?

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Are these turnout weighted?
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    There seem to be a lot of parallels between this Referendum and the General Election,

In 2015 the underlying fundamentals said that there was a strong chance of a Tory majority which was never reflected in the polls. When you consider the fundamentals of the EU Referendum, they say that Leave has to win while the polls just don't seem to be indicating the strength of the Leave side. Comparing to the Scottish Referendum, it was generally thought there was a hardcore on either side, with about 25% for Independence no matter what and 35% for Union no matter what. in the end this was the actual difference in the result, a 10% margin for No.

Now with the EU Referendum, there is clearly a side which will vote Leave regardless of the arguments, it could be the UKIP vote of 18% but is likely higher with some Tory and Labour voters being hardcore Leavers. But where is the comparative hardcore Remain vote? Some of the Lib Dems who currently poll 5%. Or Greens currently polling similar numbers. There just does not seem to be an identifiable and substantial number of Remain no matter what voters.

If this is true, then Leave starts out with a huge lead, with between 20% and 30% who will always vote Leave and cannot be persuaded. This means Remain needs to get something in the region of 70% of all other voters to vote Remain or they lose. These are the underlying fundamentals of this Referendum and why I just cannot see any other result than Leave.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If any of us had claimed, a year ago, that LEAVE would be narrowly ahead less than two weeks before the referendum, they'd have been laughed to scorn.

I think that is true - Leave is just as mainstream a view as Remain, and far more passionate. Passion alone doesn't win you a referendum of course, but lack of enthusiasm on the other side, that unlike the IndyRef we are seeing regular Leave leads, makes me think it is this time.

However I take issue with the first paragraph - I've thought Leave would win for years, before I was even a Leave supporter - the reasons for remain become ever more intense as the day approaches, and has enough media support (even if it is still mostly remain on broadcast) and high profile support to see it through.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    No-one ever mentions Penny Mordaunt as a potential PM. Not that I actually expect it to happen but she's a decent media performer, has ministerial experience, is a Leaver, and being female probably doesn't hurt.

#PMforPM
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    SeanT said:

It does show how far we've come that we now treat a poll with a narrow LEAVE lead, 11 days before the vote, with a yawn and a shrug.

If Leave aren't increasing the lead in the final week then I'd bet on a Remain win. They'll need some momentum to overcome the last minute jitters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Corbyn can condemn him without using those exact words, so Falconer will be fine.

I find I've gone off the idea of Boris as PM, but it's hard to see how it can be avoided - either an unknown Leaver shocks all and emerges, or May has to overcome being on the losing side. (Obviously next PM could be years away rather than a few weeks, in which case I think increases the odds it will be someone other than Boris, but still a Leaver)

While some of the PB Tory Leavers are now busy knocking one out over Leadsom, I'm mystified how they can overlook Priti.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    Good news everybody, Roger's done a thread for the morning.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Yup.

He was referring though to the second referendum held in 2017 after leave won the first by 2% and the EU said rethink and try again until you get the right answer which will then be binding for ever ever and ever

.........just like they always do.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Indyref was won by the Shy No, older voters who got out on the day.

I truly believe EURref will be won by the Shy Brexiter - its socially unacceptable in some places to say you'd vote out, but there are plenty on both left and right who are very eurosceptic. Cuts across class lines, too.
  • Options

Mentioned in the thread header.
    Ta - I didn't realise that was the other YouGov.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Russia's nationalistic Putin scumbags, and England's Farage/ EDL/BNP /Brexit football scumbag supporters need to be thrown out of this championship.

Well done Brexit.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Lowlander said:

There seem to be a lot of parallels between this Referendum and the General Election,

In 2015 the underlying fundamentals said that there was a strong chance of a Tory majority which was never reflected in the polls. When you consider the fundamentals of the EU Referendum, they say that Leave has to win while the polls just don't seem to be indicating the strength of the Leave side. Comparing to the Scottish Referendum, it was generally thought there was a hardcore on either side, with about 25% for Independence no matter what and 35% for Union no matter what. in the end this was the actual difference in the result, a 10% margin for No.

Now with the EU Referendum, there is clearly a side which will vote Leave regardless of the arguments, it could be the UKIP vote of 18% but is likely higher with some Tory and Labour voters being hardcore Leavers. But where is the comparative hardcore Remain vote? Some of the Lib Dems who currently poll 5%. Or Greens currently polling similar numbers. There just does not seem to be an identifiable and substantial number of Remain no matter what voters.

If this is true, then Leave starts out with a huge lead, with between 20% and 30% who will always vote Leave and cannot be persuaded. This means Remain needs to get something in the region of 70% of all other voters to vote Remain or they lose. These are the underlying fundamentals of this Referendum and why I just cannot see any other result than Leave.

There was a similar sentiment from Laura Kunsberg. She said there were 10 million hard core leavers and only 5 million hard ish remainers. That being the case, leave has to be odds on not odds off.
  • Options

Good news everybody, Roger's done a thread for the morning.

Will it be all over by lunchtime?

[innocent_face]
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    But Tony Blair is a war criminal - this is old news. How's he escaped the clutches of justice, God only knows.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Yup.

He was referring though to the second referendum held in 2017 after leave won the first by 2% and the EU said rethink and try again until you get the right answer which will then be binding for ever ever and ever

.........just like they always do.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Yup.

He was referring though to the second referendum held in 2017 after leave won the first by 2% and the EU said rethink and try again until you get the right answer which will then be binding for ever ever and ever.
    No way that happens. I've yet to see an answer to the question of how, although it is not actually unreasonable to suggest having another look if the material position substantially changes, the current government, regardless of who is leading it, could survive suggesting it. The Tories would tear themselves to bits and be unable to do it, even if Labour were to back up those Tories willing to try.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    SeanT said:

Leave has always been favourite for me. Immigration is just such a powerful plus for them. How the betting markets have priced this from the start has genuinely shocked me. I really don't get it.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Have you anything new to say?
    tyson said:

Russia's nationalistic Putin scumbags, and England's Farage/ EDL/BNP /Brexit football scumbag supporters need to be thrown out of this championship.

Well done Brexit.

• Options
    murali_s said:

But Tony Blair is a war criminal - this is old news. How's he escaped the clutches of justice, God only knows.

Friends in high places... But his day of reckoning is coming...

Tick. Tock.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I see Cameron is now threatening to cut the NHS and pensions if we Brexit:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/11/brexit-axe-state-pensions-david-cameron-nhs-cold-reality

Maybe it's just me, but "do as I say, or I'll be an even bigger bastard" does not seem like a very well thought through strategy. I don't know many marriages which have been saved in the long-term by the husband threatening the wife with dire financial consequences if she leaves him.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

There was a similar sentiment from Laura Kunsberg. She said there were 10 million hard core leavers and only 5 million hard ish remainers. That being the case, leave has to be odds on not odds off.
    Plus that's just the underlying fundamental starting position.

You then get to wrap one side up in the Union Jack, proclaiming Independence and Nationalism and it again says that all the cards are with Leave and the chance of Remain clinging on with no national symbols to help it out is just too weak to succeed.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

While i agree I didn't believe it would get to the point it would appear this close, we need to be doing far better to actually win. The polls do not include NI or expats, even if they are anywhere near accurate with their toplines as it is.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/11/brexit-axe-state-pensions-david-cameron-nhs-cold-reality

Maybe it's just me, but "do as I say, or I'll be an even bigger bastard" does not seem like a very well thought through strategy. I don't know many marriages which have been saved in the long-term by the husband threatening the wife with dire financial consequences if she leaves him.

Cameron won't be in power to do anything. These are just the anguished cries of a wounded animal before the lions go in for the kill...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

He's not trying to save it in the long term - he's trying to save it in the short term, so there will be an opportunity for the long term. Fail now and its over. Suceed now, even in this fashion, and there is a chance to fix things for the longer term, even if it is not a very good chance or would require someone else to fix it.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    If that story catches fire, Leave will win at a trot.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    Wasn't that meant to be approved in the year 3000 ...or so we were told.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You can wallow in your leave orgy with your Ingerlund fans, EDL, BNP comrades and so on, so... well done. And for the years after you can enjoy Ingerlund as we experience an economic crisis, austerity, political and economic instability led by the likes of Farage, Gove, Johnson and Priti Patel.

Brexit is lowest common denominator politics, with less intellectual scrutiny than Big Brother. Well done. A prize is in order.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited June 2016
    FPT

Yep, ridiculous: continuing contribution to EU budget, no meaningful reduction in immigration and acceptance of most EU laws with no say in their framing

A massive reduction in the contribution to around 15% of our current gross (and yes that is with the current rebate taken into account).
    Much better able to control what immigrants are allowed in terms of benefits.
    A reduction in EU laws by at least 75% with plenty of say in the framing of those that do apply and a veto on any we consider to be counter to our national interest.
    Regain control of farming and fishing policy
    No ECJ overruling UK laws
    No Ever Closer Union
    No EU Army
    Our own seat on the international bodies that monitor trade and decide standards
    No EU External Action Service
    No paying for bailouts

Sorry but you are going to have to do much better than that.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

You then get to wrap one side up in the Union Jack, proclaiming Independence and Nationalism and it again says that all the cards are with Leave and the chance of Remain clinging on with no national symbols to help it out is just too weak to succeed.
    Yes I agree with that. The remainers seem much softer than the leavers. Still we will see.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cameron caught lying in the middle of a referendum?

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/741748078902976512

#Toast
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    GIN1138 said:

murali_s said:

Friends in high places... But his day of reckoning is coming...

Tick. Tock.
    And you can check Windrush ventures and firerush ventures as well.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Mate of mine at the match said Russian fans invaded the England sections as soon as the final whistle blew ans charged at everyone, beat up women and children. People were basically throwing their kids over any kind of barrier to keep them safe, said it was remiscent of Hillsborough footage he has seen where there are too many people in too small and area.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

You can wallow in your leave orgy with your Ingerlund fans, EDL, BNP comrades and so on, so... well done. And for the years after you can enjoy Ingerlund as we experience an economic crisis, austerity, political and economic instability led by the likes of Farage, Gove, Johnson and Priti Patel.

Brexit is lowest common denominator politics, with less intellectual scrutiny than Big Brother. Well done. A prize is in order.
    I thought you had left us? Please go back to wallowing in your self pity in Italy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

Lowlander said:

Last year I posted that the silent majority would vote against the most fanatical side, believing this to indicate a clear win for Remain. One of the main issues with the overblown project fear has been that it's broken Leave's monopoly on looking swivel-eyed. Things like Izzard's appearance on QT just make the wrong side look like the loonies.
  • Options
    Uh oh, is immigration as the hot topic ramping up again? That was my cue to take a break from the debate for a week last time, as I just don't really care about it myself, while recognising it is key for many many people, and it just ceases to be fun, just so bitter and angry.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Yup.

He was referring though to the second referendum held in 2017 after leave won the first by 2% and the EU said rethink and try again until you get the right answer which will then be binding for ever ever and ever.
    No way that happens. I've yet to see an answer to the question of how, although it is not actually unreasonable to suggest having another look if the material position substantially changes, the current government, regardless of who is leading it, could survive suggesting it. The Tories would tear themselves to bits and be unable to do it, even if Labour were to back up those Tories willing to try.
    Perhaps? They changed the front page of the Lisbon treaty and pushed in through. They have form.

Nothing gets in the way of the EU project.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mate of mine at the match said Russian fans invaded the England sections as soon as the final whistle blew ans charged at everyone, beat up women and children. People were basically throwing their kids over any kind of barrier to keep them safe, said it was remiscent of Hillsborough footage he has seen where there are too many people in too small and area.

That isn't coming across in the news. If it did people here would be rightly angry.
  • Options

tyson said:

SeanT said:

I thought you had left us? Please go back to wallowing in your self pity in Italy.
    On the contrary - alternate views would be most welcome, even if not shared. For one, it reminds everyone there are going to be some very unhappy people come June 24th no matter what. There will be no sunlit uplands for the short term.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Is that you David?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Yes wrapped itself up in the saltire in Scotland and lost, albeit narrowly. Yes there was more sentiment there for the Union than there is for the EU but ultimately it was the economy there which was the deciding factor
  • Options

SeanT said:

While i agree I didn't believe it would get to the point it would appear this close, we need to be doing far better to actually win. The polls do not include NI or expats.
    How many expats are registered to vote? 200,000? Not all will vote Remain.

Ulster will give a net advantage of a few x00,000 to Remain; no more. We still have a good chance.

If Scotland, London and Ulster vote 60-40 Remain, then Leave only needs to get 53% in the rest of England to win. I'm struggling to see how it will fail to do that.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Yup.

Perhaps? They changed the front page of the Lisbon treaty and pushed in through. They have form.

Nothing gets in the way of the EU project.
    It's not the EU trying it I can doubt - it is even fair in principle to make a new offer and, having not been consulted on that offer, the UK people being asked (though it would have to be genuinely significant, which I would doubt). It's the ability of any government to pass the legislation to hold a referendum to hold another vote without collapsing, eventually requiring a GE to settle the issue, which Labour might well win by default I suppose.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Bit of a shock, LD supporter John Cleese has come out for Leave, clearly he has taken that yougov poll showing Basil Fawlty for Leave to heart
    https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/741741834003709953
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Flapping like a dunny door in a hurricane.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

If Blair is as you mention a war criminal would that not also infer that Bush is one as well? I suspect that a POTUS being dragged to The Hague to stand trial is never going to happen and Blair is probably quite well shielded as a consequence?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

While i agree I didn't believe it would get to the point it would appear this close, we need to be doing far better to actually win. The polls do not include NI or expats.

Ulster will give a net advantage of a few x00,000 to Remain; no more. We still have a good chance.

If Scotland, London and Ulster vote 60-40 Remain, then Leave only needs to get 53% in the rest of England to win. I'm struggling to see how it will fail to do that.
    What of Wales?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Lowlander said:

Last year I posted that the silent majority would vote against the most fanatical side, believing this to indicate a clear win for Remain. One of the main issues with the overblown project fear has been that it's broken Leave's monopoly on looking swivel-eyed. Things like Izzard's appearance on QT just make the wrong side look like the loonies.
    Yes well, little bit of a secret here, but us Leavers are funding Izzard's expenses... Well worth every penny! :D
  • Options
    @RichardTyndall - for me the Norway option is by far the best Brexit outcome. I'd just be very surprised if most Leavers felt the same way, given that it means ongoing contributions and continued high levels of immigration.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,160
    SeanT said:

You may be interested in my post of January 22nd

THE NEW NORMAL PART 2: BREXIT
    In the Noughties, the time of Desperate Housewives and Nokia phones, Eurosceptic arguments revolved around alternatives that were fictional (nonexistent Commonwealth free trade areas), ludicrous (we can trade with Russia and China, countries that are neither close nor lawabiding) or touchingly childlike (Hannan's insistence that we should preferably trade with our friends, which is a proposition nobody over 8 should hold). They could be easily dismissed.

But since 2009/10 (when the size of Greece became apparent) and since 2011 (when immigration began to appear in the list of concerns), the argument has changed. It is easy to dismiss claims that the Euro will collapse (it stays in existence until the most powerful nations decide to leave) but claims that it is well run are difficult to hold with a straight face. Moving from comedy to tragedy, the human wave of immigrants is large and solutions are ramshackle, ad-hoc and ineffective. Blaming the EU for migration is a bit like blaming the dinosaurs for the meteorite, but this does not change the fact that the citizenry is concerned about the number and characteristics of the migrants and will vote Leave accordingly. The print media have latched onto this and are pushing it with all the class and subtlety for which Kelvin McKenzie and Rod Liddle are justly famed: it's not quite "if you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Labour" but let's be honest, it's not far off.

Unless Remain develop a countermeasure to Leave's charge that EU membership implies mass migration into the UK - and since the charge has an element of truth, this will be difficult - then Leave will win, and win hard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Yes wrapped itself up in the saltire in Scotland and lost, albeit narrowly. Yes there was more sentiment there for the Union than there is for the EU but ultimately it was the economy there which was the deciding factor
    The economic factors here are much smaller and there is little to no love of the EU among the majority of the population while in Scotland the union still held a lot of sentimental value for a significant proportion of people. Additionally English people who live in Scotland were allowed to vote, EU citizens are not allowed to vote in this referendum.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

SeanT said:

I truly believe EURref will be won by the Shy Brexiter - its socially unacceptable in some places to say you'd vote out, but there are plenty on both left and right who are very eurosceptic. Cuts across class lines, too.
    There is another parallel - about a week before Indyref there was a poll showing a big(ish) lead for Yes which, it was argued, galvanized a lot of shy 'No's.
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Tyson is a spoof right? No real person could be this much of a bellend?
  • Options

tyson said:

SeanT said:

The problem is I cannot...as long as intelligent people like you engage in this nihilistic nonsense that will only make Britain, Europe and the world a much worse place.

I seriously (seriously) am begging Brexiters to think through the consequences of what they are doing, or what they are hoping to achieve.

• Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

What of Wales?
    Let's assume 50:50 :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bit of a shock, LD supporter John Cleese has come out for Leave, clearly he has taken that yougov poll showing Basil Fawlty for Leave to heart

He seems to have been a leaver since the start of the campaign. Same issue as us Tories.

I'd vote to remain in a reformed or indeed reformable EU. No chance of that though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Fighting in the Metro now apparently.
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited June 2016
    HYUFD said:

But in simplistic terms (which is all most are capable of):

1) Scotland was a net recipient from the UK and the UK is net contributor to the EU.
    2) The UK economy is much stronger than that of the EU as a whole which wasn't the case for Scotland wrt RUK.
    3) Scotland is far more dependent on trade with RUK than the UK is with the EU
    4) No currency issue (beyond definitely not being on the hook for eurozone bailouts)

So leaving the EU seems less intimidating from an economic perspective.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

SeanT said:

Socially unacceptable to vote Leave? Outside of Islington no. By contrast in some working class areas reports of Remain campaigners being treated very rudely so you could as easily say there are shy Remain. Leave has the nationalist vote as Yes did in Scotland and the tabloids behind it , it is the undecideds who will decide it there are certainly few shy Leavers
  • Options

@RichardTyndall - for me the Norway option is by far the best Brexit outcome. I'd just be very surprised if most Leavers felt the same way, given that it means ongoing contributions and continued high levels of immigration.

If we pulled the emergency brake on the day we join EFTA then it would resolve high immigration in the immediacy while a longer term solution can be worked out in partnership with the EU and the other EFTA nations who are also not too keen on unlimited EU migration.
  • Options

It doesn't mean high levels of migration.

We charge £5K PA for the NHS (above tax) and no benefits at all for a start.

Then we could make employers using non UK staff pay extra still to fund training. Makes low skilled immigration uneconomic.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Essexit said:

No-one ever mentions Penny Mordaunt as a potential PM. Not that I actually expect it to happen but she's a decent media performer, has ministerial experience, is a Leaver, and being female probably doesn't hurt.

#PMforPM

She's also very do-able
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,646
    edited June 2016
    TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

There is another parallel - about a week before Indyref there was a poll showing a big(ish) lead for Yes which, it was argued, galvanized a lot of shy 'No's.
    If we get Indyref levels of turnout, I'd agree, but I think we'll be struggling to break 75%.

(On another note, I drove to a meeting in Newcastle last week and saw a number of In/Out signs in gardens. I haven't seen a single one in and around Edinburgh. Just makes me wonder if Scottish turnout will be low, which doesn't help Remain)
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited June 2016

So leaving the EU seems less intimidating from an economic perspective.

In addition: no nation had the relationship with Britain on which the plans for Scottish independence were predicated. On the other hand, Leave can point to a variety of nations as models for our future membership- all of which, frankly, seem to have it better than we do now.
    HYUFD said:

John Cleese has come out for Leave

Channel 5 should broadcast a debate between him and Izzard. I'd watch it.

Actually, what's been the worst celebrity endorsement of this referendum campaign? Bryan Adams for Leave and June Sarpong for Remain must be contenders, surely.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2016
    I suspect that, to win, Remain must now hit the gas on Project Fear.

The one good thing is I do now understand and sympathise with how the Scots felt after relentless months of Project Fear. No wonder they voted to get rid of almost every Tory, Labour and LibDem MP.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Danny565 said:

That was the exclusive interview in the Guardian - what does he say in the exclusive interview for the Telegraph?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Indyref was lost on fears of who is going to pay the bills, it trumped national feeling. Given the UK is a net contributor to the EU, this isn't a card that can be played.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

There was also the vow. That isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

The economic factors here are much smaller and there is little to no love of the EU among the majority of the population while in Scotland the union still held a lot of sentimental value for a significant proportion of people. Additionally English people who live in Scotland were allowed to vote, EU citizens are not allowed to vote in this referendum.
    Undoubtedly the patriotism factor in Scotland was in favour of Yes, sentiment for the Union was mainly confined to the elderly. The lack of sentiment for the EU will make it even tighter but the economic factors will still be there. The English were citizens of the same country as Scotland and Scots will vote in this referendum too, European citizens are not
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Cameron caught lying in the middle of a referendum?

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/741748078902976512

#Toast

Leave just have to be all over this like a swarm of locust on every channel , paper and broadcast.

This is absolutely humongous and spells the end of the Remain campaign.

The EU lies. the EU does secret deals behind the people's backs and hides this until the right answer is given in a referendum. Did we expect any different. Cameron knows as well what is going on and if he doesn't then He to is being duped by the EU so where does that leave him and what if anything, remains of his credibility and that of the EU honesty
  • Options

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

No would still probably have won without the vow, the vow here was the renegotiation such as it was
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

Oh I don't know. Cameron: I vow to cut your pensions.... Might have worked if he had tried it before the postal votes went in.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

I wasn't talking about the arguments being put foward, I was talking about the fundamentals of where the campaigns start and where they go. In Scotland, Independence had a 25% core, the Union had a 35% core and both had at least some nationalist sentiment to aid their cause.

My point is that Leave starts with something like 20% to 30% of the electorate backing them, unpersuadable and certain to vote. Remain doesn't have anything like this sort of support and their core is massively smaller, it could be as low as 10%. On top of that, only Leave has a nationalist flag waving aspect to bolster its support, There aren't going to be many people waving the Flag of Europe around. There were lots waving the Union Flag in Scotland.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Sovereign immunity, I'm pretty sure that PM and Parliaments have no de jure control of the military. It's all done by royal prerogative. Legally all Tony did was advise the Queen to invade Iraq. She's commander in chief of the armed forces.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

If we get Indyref levels of turnout, I'd agree, but I think we'll be struggling to break 75%.

(On another note, I drove to a meeting in Newcastle last week and saw a number of In/Out signs in gardens. I haven't seen a single one in and around Edinburgh. Just makes me wonder if Scottish turnout will be low, which doesn't help Remain)
    Scotland will be strong Remain so the battle is less close and engaging and it is also a bit referendumed out, turnout will be lower there than indyref but should still be close to 70% according to most polls
  • Options
    I wonder how the secret Turkish visa scheme will go down.
  • Options

The problem with Brexit is you let that populist, nationalist genie out of the bottle. The likes of Richard Tyndall think they are in control of it, but they aren't.

There are some fucking serious headbangers on this site...Plato, Watford, Casino, Sean Fear...people who couldn't compromise in a lifetime. They appear reasonable, but they aren't.They are ideologically driven nutters who couldn't care less if the UK goes to shyte provided their version of dark politics prevails.....

And then there are other posters, many other posters, who are seemingly attracted by this Brexit, nihilistic nonsense...... in the last few days Cameron needs to appeal to these
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He seems to have been a leaver since the start of the campaign. Same issue as us Tories.

I'd vote to remain in a reformed or indeed reformable EU. No chance of that though.
    He certainly has been suggesting it
  • Options

Essexit said:

#PMforPM

She's also very do-able
    Are you lowering the tone asj?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

Oh I don't know. Cameron: I vow to cut your pensions.... Might have worked if he had tried it before the postal votes went in.
    I suspect that will achieve the reverse.
  • Options

I wonder how the secret Turkish visa scheme will go down.

Like a bowl of cold sick I'd have thought?

Cameron wants to let in 1m Turks while threatening Granny's pension...

#YouDoTheMath
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Tyson is a spoof right? No real person could be this much of a bellend?
    No, he really is a bell-end. Sometimes quite a likeable bell-end, but always a bell-end.
    Really? Then I worry about the lad. Perhaps we should organise a PB intervention and get someone to go over to his villa, with quinoa, tramadol and a straightjacket
  • Options

Essexit said:

#PMforPM

She's also very do-able
    Are you lowering the tone asj?
    Perhaps slightly, but really......

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/29/1FA8B8D500000578-2854421-image-25_1417295997841.jpg
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Yes. Any account which references 'Forest Echo' is a spoof. There are several 'reporter' accounts, this is one. Best to mute them.
  • Options
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    tyson said:

The problem with Brexit is you let that populist, nationalist genie out of the bottle. The likes of Richard Tyndall think they are in control of it, but they aren't.

There are some fucking serious headbangers on this site...Plato, Watford, Casino, Sean Fear...people who couldn't compromise in a lifetime. They appear reasonable, but they aren't.They are ideologically driven nutters who couldn't care less if the UK goes to shyte provided their version of dark politics prevails.....

And then there are other posters, many other posters, who are seemingly attracted by this Brexit, nihilistic nonsense...... in the last few days Cameron needs to appeal to these
    Agree 100% with this.
  • Options

It doesn't mean high levels of migration.

We charge £5K PA for the NHS (above tax) and no benefits at all for a start.

Then we could make employers using non UK staff pay extra still to fund training. Makes low skilled immigration uneconomic.

That only makes sense if you believe that people will stop coming if they can't access the NHS or get benefits and that businesses in areas of low unemployment should be prevented from growing.

This discussion has been closed.