Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Andy Burnham speaks about the very real prospect of Brex

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Andy Burnham speaks about the very real prospect of Brexit, Corbyn should be worried

When Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary says ‘The Remain campaign is facing the “very real prospect” of defeat in the referendum in two weeks’ time as it fails to reach traditional Labour voters’ it is clear the Remain campaign has issues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FPT

Reading the Ashcroft focus group, it seems random members of the public have their heads screwed on more tightly than politicians would like! They end up with some sort of sensible view despite being presented with two diametrically opposed, extreme ones.
  • Options
    FPT
    SeanT said:

Lord Ashcroft's latest focus group findings:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-conservative-infighting-corbyns-insignificance-and-the-economy-my-eu-focus-groups-in-cardiff.html

Seems much more pro-Remain group than in previous weeks. Note in particular the comments about Martin Lewis. That seems significant to me.

That does sound like a nation shifting, reluctantly and grudgingly, to a narrow REMAIN victory. Am 90% sure this is what will happen.
    Cardiff where this took place is a known remain hotspot
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good afternoon everyone.

Whether the result is Brexit or Bremain, Mr Corbyn still has overwhelming support from party members. How are the MPs going to overcome that, is still the question.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584

FPT

Reading the Ashcroft focus group, it seems random members of the public have their heads screwed on more tightly than politicians would like! They end up with some sort of sensible view despite being presented with two diametrically opposed, extreme ones.

There's a reason why the mailshot I received from Remain the other day featured Martin Lewis so heavily.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Whether the result is Brexit or Bremain, Mr Corbyn still has overwhelming support from party members. How are the MPs going to overcome that, is still the question.

There are several ways Labour MPs can overcome it:

1. Get Corbyn to 'voluntarily' step down.
    2. Er, that's it.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2016

FPT

SeanT said:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-conservative-infighting-corbyns-insignificance-and-the-economy-my-eu-focus-groups-in-cardiff.html

Seems much more pro-Remain group than in previous weeks. Note in particular the comments about Martin Lewis. That seems significant to me.

That does sound like a nation shifting, reluctantly and grudgingly, to a narrow REMAIN victory. Am 90% sure this is what will happen.
    With some patriotic, principled, lion like (with a nod to TSE) exceptions, of course.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

FPT

SeanT said:

13% more Remain than the UK as a whole, according to Dr. Hanretty.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sean_F said:

FPT

SeanT said:

West Wales, the Valleys (and Cornwall, which is bye the bye) are all classed as 'Less developed regions'. They get funding from the ERDF, ESF and the Cohesion fund. They are, unsurprisingly, a bit keener on the EU than elsewhere.
  • Options
    If leave wins, it wouldn't surprise me if Farage decides to bow out on a high. We might get 3 parties changing leader this year
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Complex things, these referendums.

Hey, Sean, you can get a companion for your racist mug now!

@GraemeDemianyk: Corbyn steps up efforts to keep Britain in the EU. There's now a mug https://t.co/KIwvFWiZHA
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

SeanT said:

West Wales, the Valleys (and Cornwall, which is bye the bye) are all classed as 'Less developed regions'. They get funding from the ERDF, ESF and the Cohesion fund. They are, unsurprisingly, a bit keener on the EU than elsewhere.
    I doubt if Cornwall is that keen on the EU.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    SeanT said:

fpt for MEEKS

In some way, my ideal result would be 50.0001% REMAIN and 49.9999% LEAVE, then the deposition of Cameron and Osborne followed by a committed eurosceptic Tory leader like Leadsom committed to another referendum at some point.

So the EU would know it was on probation, had the very narrowest of escapes, and that the British will vote again, and this time vote OUT, if the EU does any *funny business*.

Failing that I'd like outright LEAVE, and some kind of EFTA arrangement interim, followed by a GE.

My nightmare is that we get a wider REMAIN win and Cameron clings on, then hands on to another traitor, and the EU thinks Hah the British will never quit and they grind us into the dust. I fear this is very possible.

For personal reasons - my soul, my sense of self worth - I am voting LEAVE. I just couldn't bear my own company if I voted REMAIN. Couldn't look at myself in the mirror.

Complex things, these referendums.

I don't see how Cameron can hand over to another 'traitor' to be honest. I cannot see how he avoids a leadership challenge even in the event of a Remain win unless he promises to stand aside in 2017 at the latest, which might be enough for some of those calling for his head to stand down, on the basis it avoids trouble and they can get a Leaver to win.

Even then it might not work, given the extent of anger.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

SeanT said:

Hmm not sure the Valleys are going to be Hampstead like in their Remainness
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    No doubt Schauble will be criticised for stating the obvious scaremongering:

“If the majority in Britain opts for Brexit, that would be a decision against the single market. In is in. Out is out. One has to respect the sovereignty of the British people.”

The German conservative’s intervention seems to rule out the “reverse Maastricht” option floated privately by some British MPs and government sources, whereby pro-remain MPs in Westminster could use their parliamentary majority to retain access to the single market after a British exit from the EU.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/10/no-single-market-access-for-uk-after-brexit-wolfgang-schauble-says
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

fpt for MEEKS

In some way, my ideal result would be 50.0001% REMAIN and 49.9999% LEAVE,

Sean – you are within a whisker of that defection I was forecasting. Some might say you are already there!

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

FPT

There's a reason why the mailshot I received from Remain the other day featured Martin Lewis so heavily.
    I thought Martin Lewis strongly objected to either side using his words in their campaign.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

“If the majority in Britain opts for Brexit, that would be a decision against the single market. In is in. Out is out. One has to respect the sovereignty of the British people.”

The German conservative’s intervention seems to rule out the “reverse Maastricht” option floated privately by some British MPs and government sources, whereby pro-remain MPs in Westminster could use their parliamentary majority to retain access to the single market after a British exit from the EU.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/10/no-single-market-access-for-uk-after-brexit-wolfgang-schauble-says

Germans rule out handing cake to Britons after they have eaten said cake.

Who knew?
  • Options
    Just read Ros Altmann's tweet on last thread. If true (and I cannot quite bring myself to believe it). WTF, just WTF?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Andrew Cooper ‏@AndrewCooper__ 37m37 minutes ago
    Nearly half a million people applied to register to vote in the 48 hours the deadline was extended - and nearly 60% of them are under 35.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    welshowl said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

SeanT said:

Hmm not sure the Valleys are going to be Hampstead like in their Remainness
    Ah, I was over-brief. That money is generally disbursed by the great and good in Cardiff. You'll see a lot of 'this bollard was funded by *acronym*' around here. I'll agree that the Valleys themselves might be surprisingly euro-skeptic.
  • Options

Nearly half a million people applied to register to vote in the 48 hours the deadline was extended - and nearly 60% of them are under 35.

How many were duplicates?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Not sure - but Mr Cameron was specifically targeting the under 35s on Facebook, so it is not surprising so many registered - mind you a lot will already be on - we won't know for 5 days.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Fpt

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@brianmlucey: @lindayueh Schauble v clear that the union has to inflict massive pain on any departing state to contain political contagion. Brexit

@lindayueh: A day after the French made a similar point - see my tweet from yesterday about the "lesson" that #Brexit would send https://t.co/liRIRaogZP

@lindayueh: "If we say you are outside EU but can keep all of the advantages..it’s a terrible message for rest of EU" #Brexit https://t.co/YQKz8L4XdW

Threatening us now. They are mad. It didnt work in 1940 and it will be just as counteeproductive now.

After seeung this, lastnights debate and what Mann wrote in the Sun today, i reckon leave will be heading for 60% if they keep this up.
    The UK government did not exactly promise Scotland a free hamper and champagne if it voted for independence either

England didn't threaten to stop doing business with Scotland as "punishment", though.

Neither has Schauble, he has just promised tough negotiations over a BREXIT deal, pretty much as the UK government did regarding a Yes win in Scotland

Something like this?

DE: Oi, if you are not nice to us, you won't be able to buy our cars anymore.

GB: *shrugs*

DE: Hey, start being nice to us.

GB: *looks at cheaper prices from the world*

DE: Ok, ok. You can buy from us.
    German industry didn't get where it is by competing on price.

Indeed. More to do with suppressing its exchange rate by sharing it with economies fundamentally unsuited to the notion.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    welshowl said:

Just read Ros Altmann's tweet on last thread. If true (and I cannot quite bring myself to believe it). WTF, just WTF?

Clearly a stealth Brexiter.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Germans rule out handing cake to Britons after they have eaten said cake.

Who knew?
    Won't the decision be by QMV - bit presumptuous of Germany Calling the shots and saying what would happen?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016
    Leadership challenge from who exactly?

One of the many insights we've been given into the Labour Party of late is the total dearth of both talent and gonads among the senior members of the PLP.
  • Options

I think typically about 70-75% of people who apply to register online are already registered.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT

Was it misleading and inappropriate to use a public figure's imagine - without his permission - and to quote him in such a way that you implied support for a campaign that he absolutely doesn't support?

Or is that sort of behaviour ok?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    I suspect Remain are pulling ahead and with the younger ones registering, provided they make it to the polling booths, it should be comfortable. The majority of Labour voters seem to be backing Remain, you cannot expect everyone to think alike inevitably 25% will not. It is the same in all parties. Suggest everyone calms down and just let the process occue in two weeks. Suspect this on Friday 24th there will be no change and we can all just get on with our lives.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    I think ti's a bit much to blame Brexit on Jezza!

Considering he has been for LEAVE for 40 years they're lucky he's not out there campaigning for LEAVE and bringing over all his Corbynista disciples... ;)
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    If Leave wins, Labour would have to ditch Corbyn of course, but what is more important is that they look for a new settlement that takes into account the balance of views across the country.

That will have to take account of the real worries about both immigration and economics. It's how they are going to manage single market membership with the immigration issue.

My guess is that this is going to be a fairness issue, making sure that the people who feel disenfranchised in the UK see that the state treats them fairly in comparison to the amount that they feel that they pay in to the system in taxation.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Sean_F said:

I think typically about 70-75% of people who apply to register online are already registered.
    And the remaining 25-30% won;t necessarily all vote anyway!
  • Options
    Isn't gerrymandering just fiddling with electoral districts for advantage, or has its meaning expanded?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792
    I assume the Corbynistas are overwhelmingly in favour of staying in the EU even if the man himself is doubtful, as are many of Labour's normal supporters. Their belief in their hero's wonderfulness seems to be unshakeable in the face of reality.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2016
    Cable at new low for the week .. testing key trendline support at 14350 off the February low . Looks like we're heading south!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    kle4 said:

Isn't gerrymandering just fiddling with electoral districts for advantage, or has its meaning expanded?

No idea, but using public money to differentially advertise for voter registration to suit the governments preferred demographic must be tiptoeing very close to being unlawful.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited June 2016

Some of these will already be registered, some of them won't turn out on the day and some will actually be for LEAVE (under 35 year olds who are concerned about house prices and stock for a start)

The posh boys think they are soooooo clever with this little extension ruse but I suspect it will make far less difference than they think it will.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

Was it misleading and inappropriate to use a public figure's imagine - without his permission - and to quote him in such a way that you implied support for a campaign that he absolutely doesn't support?

I'll check the leaflet with his full quote in a bit.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Cable at new low for the week .. testing key trendline support at 14350 off the February low . Looks like we're heading south!

"Cable" is such an odd shortening of GBPUSD !
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    When are we getting a thread on how important this eu referendum is for lib dems? I mean I haven't been able to turn my telly on without seeing farron or another leading lib dem...on wait no I haven't seen them at all other than flogging a mini the other day. They really have become irrevelant to the political debate, when they have traditionally been the most pro EU & happy to tell everybody about why the EU is good for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Whether Remain staggers across the finishing line depends on how many people fed up with the EU realise that the Brexit politicians haven't a clue where they are taking Britain. Two weeks. It's going to be tight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No - I think this just comes under GOTV tactics. As a Brexiter I do not like it - however unless it comes under the Purdah restrictions there is not much that can be done. Except to point out yet another attempt to influence the referendum.

So far we have had.

Voting advice leaflets showing a big pen on the Remain box.
    Votes sent out to EU nationals - who are probably pro Remain
    Votes lost being sent to non-EU residents entitled to vote - who are probably pro Leave.
    Cameron targeting reminders on registration on the under 35s - more likely to vote Remain?

Spot the pattern?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Even if Jeremy Corbyn is challenged, he will fend off the challenge. It looks like a suicide mission to me for any MP foolhardy enough to try. Are there any Labour MPs with a deathwish?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Whether Remain staggers across the finishing line depends on how many people fed up with the EU realise that the Brexit politicians haven't a clue where they are taking Britain. Two weeks. It's going to be tight.

Clearly time for our daily reminder that "BrExit" politicians (especially Farage) are not taking the country anywhere since this is not a General Election.

The existing government, possibly with a new leader, who May or may not be a Leaver, or even an face we expect, will be taking Britain forward if there is a BrExit, if they have failed to make sufficient plans for that then they are negligent and deserve any kicking they get at the next GE.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt for MEEKS

Sean – you are within a whisker of that defection I was forecasting. Some might say you are already there!

Read to the end:

"For personal reasons - my soul, my sense of self worth - I am voting LEAVE. I just couldn't bear my own company if I voted REMAIN. Couldn't look at myself in the mirror."

I'm 100% LEAVE. Nothing will change my mind now.
    If pressed, I'd say I expect something like 51.5% - 48.5% to Remain.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

No idea, but using public money to differentially advertise for voter registration to suit the governments preferred demographic must be tiptoeing very close to being unlawful.
    One would hope that they spend money on increasing voter registration in a number of ways. In the case of Facebook, one can advertise towards very specific demographic. If they had been doing that - and specifically targeting pro-Remain groups - then it must be close to a criminal offense.
  • Options

When are we getting a thread on how important this eu referendum is for lib dems? I mean I haven't been able to turn my telly on without seeing farron or another leading lib dem...on wait no I haven't seen them at all other than flogging a mini the other day. They really have become irrevelant to the political debate, when they have traditionally been the most pro EU & happy to tell everybody about why the EU is good for us.

Who?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would hope that government campaigns for getting citizens to register to vote would be targeted at those groups who were least likely to do so.

Any spending on such campaigns on, say, pb would be a scandalous waste of public money.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

What's a "lib dem"?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    LucyJones said:

What's a "lib dem"?

Accrington Stanley of politics...

http://youtu.be/CgYP1d5nN2o
  • Options

I would hope that government campaigns for getting citizens to register to vote would be targeted at those groups who were least likely to do so.

Any spending on such campaigns on, say, pb would be a scandalous waste of public money.

Hmmm... an interesting perspective.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    If Leave win then it will be because Corbyn's half-hearted "meh take it or leave it" attitude to the EU is in line with the nations, as opposed to his "colleagues" fervent Europhilia.

To depose of Corbyn because of the one thing he is actually in tune with the nation over, rather than his litany of problems would make the Labour Party a complete joke.
  • Options

Nearly all of them if the 2015 election is any sort of guide
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

If Leave win then it will be because Corbyn's half-hearted "meh take it or leave it" attitude to the EU is in line with the nations, as opposed to his "colleagues" fervent Europhilia.

To depose of Corbyn because of the one thing he is actually in tune with the nation over, rather than his litany of problems would make the Labour Party a complete joke.

I agree. The idea that Corbyn should be blamed if the referendum is lost is ridiculous. The referendum is owned by Cameron, and that goes for all the consequences that flow from it.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Clearly time for our daily reminder that "BrExit" politicians (especially Farage) are not taking the country anywhere since this is not a General Election.

The existing government, possibly with a new leader, who May or may not be a Leaver, or even an face we expect, will be taking Britain forward if there is a BrExit, if they have failed to make sufficient plans for that then they are negligent and deserve any kicking they get at the next GE.
    Maybe that indicates the problem with a referendum. Ticking a box marked "leave" isn't a substitute for a policy. As you point out the Brexit politicians don't have a policy. The question is whether the public realise that.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt for MEEKS

Read to the end:

"For personal reasons - my soul, my sense of self worth - I am voting LEAVE. I just couldn't bear my own company if I voted REMAIN. Couldn't look at myself in the mirror."

I'm 100% LEAVE. Nothing will change my mind now.
    Well done sean.
  • Options
    theakes said:

I suspect Remain are pulling ahead and with the younger ones registering, provided they make it to the polling booths, it should be comfortable. The majority of Labour voters seem to be backing Remain, you cannot expect everyone to think alike inevitably 25% will not. It is the same in all parties. Suggest everyone calms down and just let the process occue in two weeks. Suspect this on Friday 24th there will be no change and we can all just get on with our lives.

Think you need to go and read what Lsbour MP John Mann wrote in Todays Sun before coming to conclusions about what Labour voters will do.
  • Options

No one can claim that Corbyn got elected by pretending to be a euro-enthusiast. They voted for him with their eyes open.
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT

This is what he said:

[a vote for Brexit] "is unquestionably economically riskier than a vote to remain”. But, he adds, “don’t automatically read risk as a bad thing”.

“It simply means there’s more uncertainty – a greater variance of possible outcomes.

“Leaving the EU risks us being left on the sidelines. A shrinking power, spurned after a bitter divorce from our neighbours, who, wanting to discourage other leavers, offer us hideous trading conditions, while the rest of the world sees us as too small to bother with.

“Or we could in the long run become a nimble low-tax, low-regulation, tiger economy. Trading unfettered with all nations across the globe, able to create our own rules and speedily reacting as a niche player to a changing world (though whether that’s good or bad depends whether you’re a Brexiteer from the political left or right).

“The likely truth is of course somewhere between the two. But most independent analysis suggests Brexit will be detrimental to the economy, and on balance I think a wobble of economic uncertainty is more likely, at least in the short to medium term. Though again, it’s about chance, so it doesn’t mean it’s definite, and of course money isn’t the sole issue.”

Remain quoted the words in bold. It was absolutely unreasonable for someone who said that he wasn't going to campaign, he didn't want to change voters minds, just to provide them with information to help them reach their own decisions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/financial-expert-martin-lewis-will-vote-to-remain-in-eu-but-urges-voters-to-make-their-own-minds-up-a7067201.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PeterC said:

"Cable" is such an odd shortening of GBPUSD !
    First bit of information sent down the first transatlantic cable...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

This is what he said:

[a vote for Brexit] "is unquestionably economically riskier than a vote to remain”. But, he adds, “don’t automatically read risk as a bad thing”.

“It simply means there’s more uncertainty – a greater variance of possible outcomes.

“Leaving the EU risks us being left on the sidelines. A shrinking power, spurned after a bitter divorce from our neighbours, who, wanting to discourage other leavers, offer us hideous trading conditions, while the rest of the world sees us as too small to bother with.

“Or we could in the long run become a nimble low-tax, low-regulation, tiger economy. Trading unfettered with all nations across the globe, able to create our own rules and speedily reacting as a niche player to a changing world (though whether that’s good or bad depends whether you’re a Brexiteer from the political left or right).

“The likely truth is of course somewhere between the two. But most independent analysis suggests Brexit will be detrimental to the economy, and on balance I think a wobble of economic uncertainty is more likely, at least in the short to medium term. Though again, it’s about chance, so it doesn’t mean it’s definite, and of course money isn’t the sole issue.”

Remain quoted the words in bold. It was absolutely unreasonable for someone who said that he wasn't going to campaign, he didn't want to change voters minds, just to provide them with information to help them reach their own decisions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/financial-expert-martin-lewis-will-vote-to-remain-in-eu-but-urges-voters-to-make-their-own-minds-up-a7067201.html
    Looks like Remain are focussing on his gross contribution to the debate and not the nett
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Certainly if that is consistent. Considering we've had a General Election under this PM last year and regular Local Elections it should be easy enough to know if the same or different demographics are being targeted this time. If its only this time that its been microtargeted to those demographically favourable to the government's preferred option would that be immoral if not illegal.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Maybe that indicates the problem with a referendum. Ticking a box marked "leave" isn't a substitute for a policy. As you point out the Brexit politicians don't have a policy. The question is whether the public realise that.
    It's not their job to have a policy. Its their job to campaign for an exit. What happens then is up to the elected government, taking into account what they can get through parliament, and if they want to be re-elected in GE2020.

As I have said before, its Leave's job to procure a divorce, not suggest the next girlfriend, or comment on that relationship that persists with the ex.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nicola Sturgeon on Buzzfeed live is brilliant
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

It's not their job to have a policy. Its their job to campaign for an exit. What happens then is up to the elected government, taking into account what they can get through parliament, and if they want to be re-elected in GE2020.

As I have said before, its Leave's job to procure a divorce, not suggest the next girlfriend, or comment on that relationship that persists with the ex.
    They have a policy when it suits them, and not when it suits them.

Boris wants to raise the spectre of a £2bn cut in VAT on heating. Gove talks about £1bn more on science. Both want £350m/week more on the NHS. They ant to cut immigration to tens of thousands.

Those are all policies, none of which is supposedly their remit to suggest.

The fact that a post-exit government might choose to do those things (but not all of them!) is not the way it is framed.
  • Options

Certainly if that is consistent. Considering we've had a General Election under this PM last year and regular Local Elections it should be easy enough to know if the same or different demographics are being targeted this time. If its only this time that its been microtargeted to those demographically favourable to the government's preferred option would that be immoral if not illegal.
    Targeting your message to your preferred demographic using campaign money is clearly perfectly acceptable.

Targeting voter registration to your preferred demographic using public money would be a complete scandal.

It's not like the Conservative Party is squeaky clean on the matter of campaign funding at the moment.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

theakes said:

Think you need to go and read what Lsbour MP John Mann wrote in Todays Sun before coming to conclusions about what Labour voters will do.
    Indeed, I work in the public sector. To my surprise it's the nailed-on Labourites who are either backing leave (put off by over-egged scare stories, I now understand why Nicola et al quickly attacked Cameron over that) or are lean remain but not arsed to vote.

It's the lean Cons who the scare stories are getting traction with, which in retrospect shouldn't surprise as they are the ones with more to lose.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    This honestly feels like an attempt to force Corbyn to try and come out in favour of the EU without reservations.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

theakes said:

The majority on this site are avid Leavers, if they're alo
    LucyJones said:

What's a "lib dem"?

These guys:
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 15h15 hours ago

Surrey Docks (Southwark) result:
    LDEM: 51.7% (+20.1)
    LAB: 21.3% (-0.3)
    CON: 12.9% (-7.0)
    GRN: 7.4% (-4.3)
    UKIP: 6.3% (-8.9)
    IND: 0.3% (+0.3)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

What's a "lib dem"?

These guys:

The Lib Dems timed that election result just right for you to reply, eh Mr Song!!!!!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

No one can claim that Corbyn got elected by pretending to be a euro-enthusiast. They voted for him with their eyes open.
    Did you get my PM?
  • Options
  • Options

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Boris wants to raise the spectre of a £2bn cut in VAT on heating. Gove talks about £1bn more on science. Both want £350m/week more on the NHS. They ant to cut immigration to tens of thousands.

The fact that a post-exit government might choose to do those things (but not all of them!) is not the way it is framed.
    Exactly so. They are Tories and will say and do anything in order to win. They have no shame.
  • Options
    alo Mr Song?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

What's a "lib dem"?

These guys:

The Lib Dems timed that election result just right for you to reply, eh Mr Song!!!!!
    Just give me the facts!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

And Remain do not have a policy either. Nobody has a clue how far Cameron will go if the Remain campaign gets a majority. I think we ought to be told beforehand.
  • Options

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

I think that's a fair point. I, personally, am prepared at this stage due to being sick of the EU to take leaps into the unknown on many things, but that is a negative too far for many others, and Leave is pressured to, and willing to in some instances, to suggest there are things that will happen as a result of a Leave vote which are merely within the range of possibilities for a post-leave government. They might well include that in the fine print, or even in bold, but it is lost amidst the implication of their campaign, which is that these things will happen, not that they might. I equate it to Labour being prepared to cut some things, but the implication was they opposed any cut due to the tone of their campaigning.
  • Options
    I'm about 70 leave, 30 remain. My heart quite likes the idea of an EU, but head rejects the reality of this and probable EUs.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Superb and frank from Iain Martin

#Remain has lost the plot. Has it lost the referendum? https://t.co/AQdfxqYVyD via @CapX
  • Options
    weejonnie said:
    I put up a leave poster, the first time I have ever put up a poster.

If it gets attacked (to be fair not very likely in my part of the world) I will take great pleasure in sending Mr Dacre some appropriate sadface pictures.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    There appears to be a capital flight to risk free (UK gilts) given this weeks pricing of the auctions.

20 year 0 1/8% indexed linked gilts going for a real yield of -0.974%.

http://www.dmo.gov.uk/documentview.aspx?docName=/gilts/press/090616index.pdf

Should this be seen as good news?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    PClipp said:

FF43 said:

And Remain do not have a policy either. Nobody has a clue how far Cameron will go if the Remain campaign gets a majority. I think we ought to be told beforehand.
    Well said.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

FF43 said:

Referenda have been useful to politicians to get them over party political problems. They aren't a great way to make policy or important decisions. If this one blows up in Cameron's face he will have only himself to blame.
    Look forward to Priti Patel's referendum on the death penalty.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:
    While there can be justification for it, I would like the word panic eliminated from the vocabularies of both campaigns, it's such an overused attack it has become meaningless, as anything is 'proof' the other side is panicking. Sure, if I read a story I might agree in a particular instance, but I usually just gloss over how leave are panicking over this or remain over that headlines or summaries.

No slur on you, I hasten to add, weejonnie, just a pet peeve of mine. Like managers talking about holistic approaches to things.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

What's a "lib dem"?

These guys:

LD gain from Tories here in darkest Wiltshire a month ago too - on the charge!

In all seriousness I hope they do recover quickly, or UKIP can breakthrough post a referendum - a strong third party (outside of the very very strong regional one) is a good thing I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

There appears to be a capital flight to risk free (UK gilts) given this weeks pricing of the auctions.

Errm wouldn't yields be heading up if gilts (UK debt) was seen as riskier ?!

Pension schemes should not have to buy these return free investments, it is part of what is creating the big deficits.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Any idea why Betfair is so much out of sync with the Bookies?

Tightest odds : 45/20 - Betfair 54/20:neutral::smile:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

weejonnie said:

If it gets attacked (to be fair not very likely in my part of the world) I will take great pleasure in sending Mr Dacre some appropriate sadface pictures.
    Do you think the authorities are preparing for trouble on 24 June in the event of Leave winning?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Targeting your message to your preferred demographic using campaign money is clearly perfectly acceptable.

Targeting voter registration to your preferred demographic using public money would be a complete scandal.

It's not like the Conservative Party is squeaky clean on the matter of campaign funding at the moment.
    None of them are, it would seem.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

FF43 said:

Indigo said:

FF43 said:

I understand what you are saying, although I would point out on the analogy that Leave are procuring other people's divorces. I don't think the public understand it that way. They think Leave have a thought through plan that will see a new arrangement with the EU, with reduced immigration and no substantial economic pain. They don't realise there's nothing there. If Leave can keep the misunderstanding going until the 24th, they will quite likely win it IMO
  • Options

alo Mr Song?

Hello to you too.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Oh no! FFS don't posit Brexit as a way of getting rid of Corbyn!
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Pulpstar said:

Errm wouldn't yields be heading up if gilts (UK debt) was seen as riskier ?!

Pension schemes should not have to buy these return free investments, it is part of what is creating the big deficits.
    I agree. If the UK government is seen as riskier than comparable investments you would expect yields to go up, but they are not.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

FF43 said:

Sure they do. Carry on as at present,
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

weejonnie said:

Do you think the authorities are preparing for trouble on 24 June in the event of Leave winning?
    I hope so - it took the left less than 24 hours to start rioting after the 2010 AND 2015 election results.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

PClipp said:

FF43 said:

Sure they do. Carry on as at present,
    Does that mean kowtowing to every new piece of policy, instruction and legislation emanating from the EU - because that is the current policy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    tlg86 said:

weejonnie said:

They should do - Blair and Major have warned us about the IRA.
This discussion has been closed.