Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: A Look at the Remain Campaign.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,721
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: A Look at the Remain Campaign.

The Remain approach has been strikingly one-paced. It has been relentlessly and exclusively negative. There has been nothing about how good the EU is, nor how it will become better. We have heard no ‘In 5 years time, the EU will…..We don’t want to get off this Euro-express.’ There is no mention of the direction of travel of the EU, and why that direction is good for Britain.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Interesting article.

I know of very few people enthusiastic about remain, only fear would keep them in. Not a good way to win a campaign.

Also FPT
    German finance minister admits the ECBs policy depresses the "little peoples" wages.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/659481/European-Union-Brussels-finance-ECB-central-bank-poorer-Cameron-Merkel-Brexit

That'll go down well.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Fear is Remain's only card.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    And it is precisely because a Remain vote is a vote against departure rather than a vote for the EU that the EU question will not be resolved, especially if the EU carries on in the direction which so many think it will have to, with likely adverse consequences for Britain.

The Remain campaign have - so far - blown their best chance to win on the basis of a positive vote for the EU and for Britain's role in it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Rubbish. RemaIN allows us to unite with other people. Surely a noble thing - not being an isolationist and anti-foreigner.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD - slight correction. EU members only have to give 4 weeks' paid leave. It's up to member states whether public holidays are given on top. Slovenia for instance gives the basic 4 weeks only currently (as per Wiki).

It took the UK Labour government until 2007 to increase ours to 4 weeks 4 days, and till 2009 to increase it to the current level of 5 weeks 3 days.

http://tinyurl.com/jgwb3a8
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    The Huffington Post published an article indicating that Hillary Clinton is about to be indicted on federal racketeering charges. They then deleted it. Would be explosive stuff if true.

https://archive.is/bERJ6#selection-1141.0-1141.62
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Cyclefree said:

And it is precisely because a Remain vote is a vote against departure rather than a vote for the EU that the EU question will not be resolved, especially if the EU carries on in the direction which so many think it will have to, with likely adverse consequences for Britain.

The Remain campaign have - so far - blown their best chance to win on the basis of a positive vote for the EU and for Britain's role in it.

Yes, if people arent voting for what they positively want the issue just rumbles on.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    surbiton said:

Rubbish. RemaIN allows us to unite with other people. Surely a noble thing - not being an isolationist and anti-foreigner.

Yes it does. So why not spend the time & effort telling us why that's a good thing all round?

Once upon a time, I was "invited" to a compulsory party. No-one had much fun at it. If fun had been expected, the organisers wouldn't have made it compulsory.

The EU is very much the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    "And Remain has the tacit support of the BBC, which is the more powerful because it affects neutrality."

I've been in favour of the BBC moving to a subscription service for many years simply so that if they annoyed me sufficiently I could get rid of it. I've always thought I wouldn't go through with it as there's just about enough on it that I'm interested in. However, their coverage of the referendum has been nothing short of a disgrace and if I could I'd be ending my subscription.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Good to see that despite authorities being total bell-ends, that the annual chuck yourself down a very steep hill after a round cheese went ahead again and well attended.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    An interesting article David Kendrick. The one point I would disagree with is "It would lose because it is matched up against the most polished politician of the age..." Cameron's ratings have fallen so far that he is starting to look like the Tony (spit) Blair PM, post the Iraq invasion.
  • Options
    Mike's right .... over the past 24hrs, there has been a small but very discernible shift towards LEAVE in the betting markets.
    This is best, albeit crudely demonstrated by looking at the odds on this market offered by the various bookmakers as shown by Oddschecker:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/eu-referendum/referendum-on-eu-membership-result.

Last night, working from the left, 9 out of the first 10 bookies listed showed LEAVE at odds of 5.0 (or 4/1), thereby implying a 20% chance of success. Tonight only one of those ten bookies are still showing that price, the other nine have all shortened their odds.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The leave campaign isn't isolationist.
  • Options

surbiton said:

The leave campaign isn't isolationist.
    Leave is global. Remain is little EUism. Shrivelling year on year.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    This links in with the previous thread showing the news coverage dominated by the Tory battle. There are very few Tory EU supporters now, only people who think it less bad than the alternative. Despite Jeremy's well-known reservations, he and most Labour people think the EU is a good thing, but repeatedly saying so lacks the drama of the Tory split so doesn't get reported much.

That said, I think that Cameron has played up his scepticism in order to win floating voters - I doubt if he has strong feelings either way, but wants to present himself as sharing their concerns while nonetheless favouring Remain.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Good brief header.

The NO campaign was very negative too, but it's hard to think of a positive campaign that has won in politics since 2009 save, perhaps, that one guy in Canada. There's no evidence that an electorate scarred by the recession is willing to embrace risk; instead, huge fear and aversion to risk, "what I have I hold", and if you take it away I'll vote for the guy who says he will give it back, so don't try. Least worst is how democracy works these days. And LEAVE, for its part, is hardly multifarious and much more negative than YES, so therefore it's more likely to win. (Say, did you hear the one about the migrants?)
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,920
    edited May 2016
    Has David Kendrick not seen the opening party political broadcasts? The contrast between the upbeat tone of Remain video and the apocalytic visions of invading migrant hordes offered by the Leave video could hardly be greater.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

"And Remain has the tacit support of the BBC, which is the more powerful because it affects neutrality."

I've been in favour of the BBC moving to a subscription service for many years simply so that if they annoyed me sufficiently I could get rid of it. I've always thought I wouldn't go through with it as there's just about enough on it that I'm interested in. However, their coverage of the referendum has been nothing short of a disgrace and if I could I'd be ending my subscription.

I am enjoying the acute discomfort of the BBC re the new Top Gear, and the contorted admissions of the Guardianista that, feck, Clarkson probably was quite good after all.

It's no trivial matter either. Top Gear is globally worth £50-100m for the Beeb, depending who you talk to. No one is gonna buy this Chris Evans crap, they will import the US Top Gear, or go for the new Clarkson show on amazon.

For comparison, £50m is what it costs to run Radio 5. £70m is the entire cost of BBC4 TV.
    What are you talking about...SHOUTY MCSHOUTY says Top gear is a massive hit, was brilliant, tots amazing,....its a FACT...

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/737278291346903041
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    MP_SE said:

The Huffington Post published an article indicating that Hillary Clinton is about to be indicted on federal racketeering charges. They then deleted it. Would be explosive stuff if true.

Still looks more speculation than fact, if true Sanders would almost certainly become the nominee instead
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

HYUFD - slight correction. EU members only have to give 4 weeks' paid leave. It's up to member states whether public holidays are given on top. Slovenia for instance gives the basic 4 weeks only currently (as per Wiki).

It took the UK Labour government until 2007 to increase ours to 4 weeks 4 days, and till 2009 to increase it to the current level of 5 weeks 3 days.

Yes so the 28 days minimum rights originally came in with the WTD in 1998
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726
    HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

No, four weeks is 20 days using a standard 5-day week.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    "Remain has the tacit support of the BBC" citation needed
    "Hillary Clinton is about to be indicted on federal racketeering charges" citation needed
    "contorted admissions of the Guardianista that, feck, Clarkson probably was quite good after all" citation needed

theme of the night really, comforting fantasies about the nasty, stupid people who aren't conservative
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Benedict White said at 8:38 pm :
    "I know of very few people enthusiastic about remain, only fear would keep them in. Not a good way to win a campaign.".

Well. with respect, I must say that most of my friends must be fearless.

They are almost to an individual are not Tories. I wonder whether this is a correlation or a coincidence.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Still looks more speculation than fact, if true Sanders would almost certainly become the nominee instead
    If true, Biden steps in and all bets are off. Trump will not beat Biden.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

I am enjoying the acute discomfort of the BBC re the new Top Gear, and the contorted admissions of the Guardianista that, feck, Clarkson probably was quite good after all.

It's no trivial matter either. Top Gear is globally worth £50-100m for the Beeb, depending who you talk to. No one is gonna buy this Chris Evans crap, they will import the US Top Gear, or go for the new Clarkson show on amazon.

For comparison, £50m is what it costs to run Radio 5. £70m is the entire cost of BBC4 TV.
    Just signed up to Amazon Prime tonight. Man in a High Castle and Preacher were the main drivers but I must admit I am also looking forward to the new TGT.
  • Options
    Toms said:

"I know of very few people enthusiastic about remain, only fear would keep them in. Not a good way to win a campaign.".

They are almost to an individual are not Tories. I wonder whether this is a correlation or a coincidence.

Are they keen on the EU or just think it's the least worst option?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Blair - remembered for a Dodgy Dossier.

Cameron - remembered for a Dodgy Deal.

So he was the err to Blair after all.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

No, four weeks is 20 days using a standard 5-day week.
    It is 28 days including bank and public holidays, that entitlement was not statutory until 1998
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The EU makes us isolationist. It makes us have an immigration policy that says a European with no education and no skills is more welcome in our country than an Indian, Chinese or African with higher education and a valuable skill set.

The EU is the epitome of isolationist protectionism.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Sanders has 2,500 delegates, Biden zero. Biden would have to win almost all Hillary's delegates in direct transfer to get the nomination with no leakage to Sanders
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Sanders has 2,500 delegates, Biden zero. Biden would have to win almost all Hillary's delegates in direct transfer to get the nomination with no leakage to Sanders
    And?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Toms said:

Perhaps least worst to some extent, bearing in mind that the human race is dangerous and turbulent, not least greater Europe over millennia. To boot, some of them would admit to being federalists and/or humanists and/or globalists. A dangerous bunch, yes?
  • Options

surbiton said:

The EU makes us isolationist. It makes us have an immigration policy that says a European with no education and no skills is more welcome in our country than an Indian, Chinese or African with higher education and a valuable skill set.

The bit that people making this argument always omit is that our relationship with the EU is mutual. Yes, any of them can come here but, by the same token, any of us can go there. It's freedom of movement, not just immigration. And it's a far stretch of the imagination to describe this as isolationist!
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

Perhaps least worst to some extent, bearing in mind that the human race is dangerous and turbulent, not least greater Europe over millennia. To boot, some of them would admit to being federalists and/or humanists and/or globalists. A dangerous bunch, yes?
    Dangerous? Is one of them a Jean Claude?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    remain should have hired Clarkson. they'd be out of sight by now. (I've not seen top gear since the 80s (i suppose) so it's all a bit mystifiying to me). maybe they couldn't afford him?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MP_SE said:

http://www.worldnewspolitics.com/2016/05/30/exclusive-huffington-post-writer-editors-deleted-article-hillarys-imminent-indictment-disabled-writing/
  • Options

surbiton said:

The bit that people making this argument always omit is that our relationship with the EU is mutual. Yes, any of them can come here but, by the same token, any of us can go there. It's freedom of movement, not just immigration. And it's a far stretch of the imagination to describe this as isolationist!
    No it isn't. Its protectionist isolationism is costing us money and keeping the third world poor when it need not be. (It could be buying European exports by try telling that to EU vested farming interests)
  • Options

Toms said:

Toms said:

LOL. If you mean van Damme, no. I guess I'm likely the most physical of the bunch.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

MP_SE said:

http://www.worldnewspolitics.com/2016/05/30/exclusive-huffington-post-writer-editors-deleted-article-hillarys-imminent-indictment-disabled-writing/
    Take with a large pinch of salt '...Huguenard, an apparent Bernie Sanders supporter judging by his Twitter account, wrote that the FBI will recommend indicting Hillary Clinton on racketeering charges.'
  • Options

surbiton said:

Of course it is isolationist. We exclude 93% of the world's population not on the basis of whether or not they have anything to offer our country but just because they don't come from a particular political grouping. It is ridiculous, just like everything else about the EU.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

Keep up the noble work of driving down working class peoples' wages by supporting the EU.

It'll do Labour loads of good in the long run, supporting unlimited EU immigration and keeping wages low. Especially supporting it when the elected UK government can do absolutely nothing about the numbers that come here from the continent.

Brexit may cause an average £4300 loss in earnings. But I don't believe for a moment the working classes will lose that.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Yes I agree with the thread header. Remain may well win but it's scorched earth stuff. No hearts and minds so nothing will be resolved unless in a parallel universe Juncker comes out on June 24th and says (after a narrow Remain) "ok I hear you UK - thus far and no further, no EU army, unified taxes, social policies etc etc for the UK ". He won't of course because he has a tin ear when it comes to the UK. He hasn't got a clue what makes us tick.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

surbiton said:

Keep up the noble work of driving down working class peoples' wages by supporting the EU.

It'll do Labour loads of good in the long run, supporting unlimited EU immigration and keeping wages low. Especially supporting it when the elected UK government can do absolutely nothing about the numbers that come here from the continent.

Brexit may cause an average £4300 loss in earnings. But I don't believe for a moment the working classes will lose that.
    Dead right sir.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    A couple of personal observations FWIW...

Old Top Gear was tired, about 1 or 2 seasons from being cancelled IMO. Clarkson hit upon a lucky way out just in time. Last night was okay, mainly awkward because it was different. Reminded me of series one of Top Gear. Needs to find its own voice.

Otherwise in politics feeling quite LEAVEy at the moment. Democratic deficit in EU potentially bigger risk than economic hit IMO. Probably will default to REMAIN, but can't deny feelings are there.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

MP_SE said:

That does look a wee bit far fetched. If true it would certainly sink Hilary.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

remain should have hired Clarkson. they'd be out of sight by now. (I've not seen top gear since the 80s (i suppose) so it's all a bit mystifiying to me). maybe they couldn't afford him?

From what I have read I get the impression Clarkson has opted for Remain because of his friendship with Cameron rather than because of any conviction about the EU. He has remaiend very very low key about the whole thing as if he is rather embarrassed.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

LOL. If you mean van Damme, no. I guess I'm likely the most physical of the bunch.
    No, I meant Juncker. Van Damme isn't dangerous, Juncker appears to be dangerous to me,
  • Options
    edited May 2016

surbiton said:

Of course it is isolationist. We exclude 93% of the world's population not on the basis of whether or not they have anything to offer our country but just because they don't come from a particular political grouping. It is ridiculous, just like everything else about the EU.
    Why do you insist on ignoring the fact that freedom of movement also gives all of us the right to live and work in any EU country? It's not all about immigration. How exactly is taking away that right supposed to make the UK less isolationist?
  • Options

Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

No, I meant Juncker. Van Damme isn't dangerous, Juncker appears to be dangerous to me,
    I see. No. They're just ordinary bods, with the additional trait that they put up with me. Maybe that's the source of their fearlessness. Dunno.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

If they don't take the will of the people with them, keep not asking about that for decades and plough on regardless, yes they are bloody dangerous 'cos it will all end in tears.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

From what I have read I get the impression Clarkson has opted for Remain because of his friendship with Cameron rather than because of any conviction about the EU. He has remaiend very very low key about the whole thing as if he is rather embarrassed.
    he doesn't give the impression of being easily embarrassed... then I only now what I see online. I've been away from British culture almost a decade.. still don't know whether I should vote in the referendum or not, assuming my postal ballot arrives on time...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

MP_SE said:

That does look a wee bit far fetched. If true it would certainly sink Hilary.
    It looks like it was a staunch Sanders supporter who wrote the article and that is probably why the Huffington Post deleted it, I don't see why he should be any more privy to FBI information than other journalists beyond a desire to further undermine Hillary before the California primary
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Yes I agree with the thread header. Remain may well win but it's scorched earth stuff. No hearts and minds so nothing will be resolved unless in a parallel universe Juncker comes out on June 24th and says (after a narrow Remain) "ok I hear you UK - thus far and no further, no EU army, unified taxes, social policies etc etc for the UK ". He won't of course because he has a tin ear when it comes to the UK. He hasn't got a clue what makes us tick.

It's not that he has a tin ear, surely? It's just that he believes in what the EU is doing and where it's going, and believes in it so strongly that nothing else matters.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

surbiton said:

It wont cost the average home £4300. The BBCs first fact check on the subject started with the line "it isn't true". It is based in the new made up GDP per household, as opposed to household income for a start.

It is also based on the idea that we take as long to negotiate a trade deal on our own as the EU does when taking account of 28 sets of vested interests.
  • Options

Clarkson's main idea in a recent article was that we should run the show with Germany, which he considers the most efficient nation on earth
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    The real fun starts when we vote to Leave and we all find out what that actually means. Will any package agreed by a new PM and Chancellor get through the Commons? Without a GE first it is hard to see how. And a GE under such circumstances will be fought on current boundaries. The next few years are going to be electrical politically and very tough economically. No-one is going to be doing much investing until a degree of certainty emerges.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

He has a tin ear when it comes to what the people of every country in the EU thinks, he isn't picking on the UK.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Old Top Gear was tired, about 1 or 2 seasons from being cancelled IMO. Clarkson hit upon a lucky way out just in time. Last night was okay, mainly awkward because it was different. Reminded me of series one of Top Gear. Needs to find its own voice.

Otherwise in politics feeling quite LEAVEy at the moment. Democratic deficit in EU potentially bigger risk than economic hit IMO. Probably will default to REMAIN, but can't deny feelings are there.

I am looking forward to collecting a rather tasty sum on 24th June. Odds of 4-1 against for Leave are just ridiculous.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/293d39c2-2333-11e6-9d4d-c11776a5124d.html#axzz4AAr0wcb8

"Next month official statistics are set to confirm the UK’s population has reached a record high, surpassing the symbolic 65m threshold. At the start of the millennium statisticians had not expected that mark to be reached until after 2031."
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Jonathan said:

Agreed old Top Gear was tired, but last night wasn't new or different IMO. Same format, and rehash of lots of previous stunts. Laser tag in cars, check, "un"-reliant robin gag, check, race up a mountain in 4x4, check.

Extra Gear online show was at least something different and presenters showed promise of something similar but different, and without it being forced.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A possible Labour leave from you? In Horsham? Wow.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

If they don't take the will of the people with them, keep not asking about that for decades and plough on regardless, yes they are bloody dangerous 'cos it will all end in tears.
    Will of the people? That reverberates like the awful riff "the sovereign will of the Scottish people" used repeatedly by what's his name up north

Just as for Sexit (Scottish exit...) I believe we are engaging in a democratic process here.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The EU will continue to divide the right. But that's not most voters. I am not sure normal people will reward parties and politicians that seek to foist more of this on us all.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

I see. No. They're just ordinary bods, with the additional trait that they put up with me. Maybe that's the source of their fearlessness. Dunno.
    Probably :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778

surbiton said:

Why do you insist on ignoring the fact that freedom of movement also gives all of us the right to live and work in any EU country? It's not all about immigration. How exactly is taking away that right supposed to make the UK less isolationist?
    But wouldn't most people rather have the right to go and live and work in Canada, Oz or NZ where they can speak the language and therefore be able to work without any bother?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

welshowl said:

It's not that he has a tin ear, surely? It's just that he believes in what the EU is doing and where it's going, and believes in it so strongly that nothing else matters.
    Fair point. It just that translates into a tin ear towards us. I doubt all but a tiny handful of Remainers are four square behind Juncker's vision.
  • Options

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Just signed up to Amazon Prime tonight. Man in a High Castle and Preacher were the main drivers but I must admit I am also looking forward to the new TGT.
    Mr Robot is very good.
  • Options

surbiton said:

But wouldn't most people rather have the right to go and live and work in Canada, Oz or NZ where they can speak the language and therefore be able to work without any bother?

Not sure the Canadians, Aussies or Kiwis would be up for that. In any case, a large number of our EU emigrants are older folk searching for the sun and somewhere that's a £50 plane fare away from home.

• Options
    edited May 2016

The real fun starts when we vote to Leave and we all find out what that actually means. Will any package agreed by a new PM and Chancellor get through the Commons? Without a GE first it is hard to see how. And a GE under such circumstances will be fought on current boundaries. The next few years are going to be electrical politically and very tough economically. No-one is going to be doing much investing until a degree of certainty emerges.

If leave win, expect a compliant Conservative party. The leavers will be delighted. The remainers will know they threw everything at the electorate and lost.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Language is the EU's Achilles' heel. You can have all the rights you like but it's hard to create a "polis" that can't understand each other ( not impossible - Switzerland?- just bloody hard), and of course you could be a lawyer here but be flipping burgers in the Italian jobs market unless you speak fluent Italian.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Jonathan said:

I am looking forward to collecting a rather tasty sum on 24th June. Odds of 4-1 against for Leave are just ridiculous.

I said as much earlier. Canvassing returns in the admittedly pro leave county of Kent suggest a strong leave majority away from well heeled parts in the south west of the county. Even there it's 50;50 at worst. I'd be gobbling up 4-1 except for my lingering doubts about turnout amongst professed leavers in the D/E social classes
  • Options

surbiton said:

Not sure the Canadians, Aussies or Kiwis would be up for that. In any case, a large number of our EU emigrants are older folk searching for the sun and somewhere that's a £50 plane fare away from home.

But the oldies don't need to work and can live in their immigrant enclaves so they don't need to learn the language.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    edited May 2016
    Remain lead down to 5 points from 13 point last week with ORB phone poll
  • Options

If leave win, expect a compliant Conservative party. The leavers will be delighted. The remainers will know they threw everything at the electorate and lost.

It will depend on the deal. Would all Tory MPs vote for a package that ended passporting for the City? I doubt it. Would others vote for one that in large part preserved free movement? Not a chance. Boris will have to tread a fine line :-)

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519

Nope.

Many of the Cons Remainers are at their wits end. There may well be a more dramatic consequence.
  • Options

Remain lead to 5 points from 13 points in a week with ORB phone poll

Change of methodology?
  • Options

welshowl said:

The EU will continue to divide the right. But that's not most voters. I am not sure normal people will reward parties and politicians that seek to foist more of this on us all.

Yes but at best we are going to be where we are now dragging along behind reluctantly moaning about EU armies or the latest absurdity about carrot orangeness regulations or some idiot in Strasbourg making a speech suggesting we drive in the right or whatever. It'll fester.
  • Options

An 8 point move to leave in a week?

These polls are not that believable.

Choose your prejudice then pick the poll you like.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    dr_spyn said:
    Earlier movements on the EU ref market suggested a favourable poll for Leave. Lo and behold a favourable poll for Leave shows up.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

welshowl said:

Fair point. It just that translates into a tin ear towards us. I doubt all but a tiny handful of Remainers are four square behind Juncker's vision.
    And IMHO that is why the referendum debate has been such a lost opportunity. There has been no real attempt to inspire us with that vision - barely even any mention of Mr Cameron's re-negotiated package.

An honest debate would have genuinely settled the issue.

As it is, I am hopeful that a Leave outcome, although full of uncertainty as many point out, would result in a re-engagement with politics in this country.

I find the prospect quite exciting.
  • Options

Remain lead to 5 points from 13 points in a week with ORB phone poll

Change of methodology?
    Don't know
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    The Tottenham choke and a Leave win. I'm on a very lucrative run. I should have done an accumulator!

• Options
  • Options

For a two horse race, the pollsters don't appear to have a clue...
  • Options
    It's ever since Momentum came out for Remain.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

The Remain campaign has had more than a hint of "nanny knows best" and that the population should not be stupid and do as it's told. Democracy doesn't work that way. Or at least it shouldn't. The electorate needs to assert itself, somehow.

• Options

It will depend on the deal. Would all Tory MPs vote for a package that ended passporting for the City? I doubt it. Would others vote for one that in large part preserved free movement? Not a chance. Boris will have to tread a fine line :-)

If they don't get passporting for the city, then Europe loses. No free movement, of there will be hell to pay.

Apart from that, it'll be fine.
  • Options
    Where has ORB's monthly online poll for the Independent vanished to?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nope.

Many of the Cons Remainers are at their wits end. There may well be a more dramatic consequence.
    So if there is a leave vote in the referendum, the remainers will try to do what? Agitate for a re entry?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    The Tottenham choke and a Leave win. I'm on a very lucrative run. I should have done an accumulator!

Dilly ding dilly dong?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If I had to place a bet now this second, I'd say LEAVE is going to win this, because: immigration.

But I don't and I won't, so I will stick with my predix of REMAIN by 56/44

But, still, wow... Conniptions in SW1

Immigration was always going to win it for Leave. The next few internet polls promise to be horrific for Remain. The whole narrative is now turning. Dave has lost control.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Gut instinct is for dreamers but mood is not and on here its changed. Gone are the patronising thread headers advising Leave what to do next, as too has the sneering condescension.

Remain are worried stiff, they've chucked everything at Leave and they're not just standing, they're fighting back. Cameron has the demeanour of the bloke who can't believe what he's done to himself, leaving the casino without the rent money.

They may just hold on but its desperate now and the Euros, where patriotic fervour runs high, are a couple of weeks away. And oh boy, if we manage to pull this off it will be the sweetest feeling.
  • Options

For a two horse race, the pollsters don't appear to have a clue...
    Quite. An 8 point move in a week would be seismic. If other phone polls (or possibly polls in general) show the same I would be shocked. So will Cameron.

They can't really do a last minute believable vow either.
  • Options
    Ferfuxsake, The Guardian have used the headline I was planning on using tomorrow.

The Final Countdown
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

surbiton said:

No it isn't. Its protectionist isolationism is costing us money and keeping the third world poor when it need not be. (It could be buying European exports by try telling that to EU vested farming interests)
    It's rather like saying beggars can stay at the Ritz (subsidized) just as much as millionaires can choose to live in a hovel.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Each country should be able to determine its immigration policy based on what serves its own needs best. I certainly don't consider Australia isolationist, nor Canada. Both have immigration policies based on what is in the best interest of their economies and their ability to absorb new population. They have high rates of migration because that is what they need but they get the chance to pick the people they want. I fail to see what is so bad about that policy? It is certainly better than the current policy we have of white Europeans good, non whites from the rest of the world bad.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Remain campaign has had more than a hint of "nanny knows best" and that the population should not be stupid and do as it's told. Democracy doesn't work that way. Or at least it shouldn't. The electorate needs to assert itself, somehow.
    And on that, you, I and George Galloway agree.

Odd. But true.

So does Alfie from the east end.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/andrew-taken-aback-by-callers-anti-eu-rant-131412
This discussion has been closed.