Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Clinton-Trump battle could be a lot closer than anybody

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,065
    It fortifies my soul to not only defeat Leave in the referendum, but utterly crush Leave.

Leave Delenda Est
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016

Well, talking of willingness to admit mistakes, numerous Conservatives have admitted that the campaign against Khan attempting guilt by association ("we accept that he's not an Islamist extremist but...") was (a) unpleasant and (b) ludicrous. It would be nice if the same Conservatives advised against use of precisely the same tactics against Corbyn - "we accept that he's not a terrorist sympathiser/anti-semitic himself but...".

The case against Corbyn, and even more so McDonnell, is completely clear on this, so, no, I would very much hope that they don't accept anything of the sort. This is a guy who invited IRA bombers into parliament just days after the IRA had succeeded in murdering one of Corbyn's fellow MPs, a regional chairman, and three wives, as well as maiming others for life. They very nearly wiped out a large chunk of the democratically-elected government, yet Corbyn invited them to Westminster, rubbing the noses of the victims in the horror with utter disregard for their feelings.

Frankly, if you are not absolutely revolted by Corbyn's behaviour, your moral compass is utterly broken. McDonnell's record is even worse. I certainly hope the public are made fully aware of the disgusting records of both of them.

And that's without even going on to the subject of Hamas and other 'friends' of the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Heseltine the man who wanted to join the Euro should look closer to the Europhile PM for losing judgement.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/732678429062115328

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/732682023186370560
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945
    What a weird campaign this is. It's like there's some sort of Nazi brain-eating virus being passed around political circles.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @TSE

I guess you don't see much news from Greece these days, Mr. Eagles. Heavy duty street violence seems rather prominent over there recently. Of course people taking to the streets in nasty violence can't possibly have anything to do with not being able to get change through the democratic process, would it? See also South Africa some years back and God knows how many other places around the world.

• Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

It fortifies my soul to not only defeat Leave in the referendum, but utterly crush Leave.

Leave Delenda Est
    Good luck with that.
  • Options
    According to the polling average at RCP, Clinton is up six points in Florida. How is that a dead heat?
  • Options
    Fake Dave at it again.

David Cameron ditches law to make UK parliament supreme over Brussels from Queen's Speech

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7157359/David-Cameron-ditches-law-to-enshrine-UK-parliaments-sovereignty-over-Brussels-from-Queens-Speech.html
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    If you want to watch Megyn Kelly's interview with Michael Douglas, Robert Shapiro, Laverne Cox (?) and Donald Trump, it's on the Fox network at 8pm Eastern. That's Fox and NOT repeat NOT Fox news.

There are reports of another plan to stop Trump - and Hillary. This time the plan is to put up a third candidate in states where neither Trump nor Clinton did well, with a view to denying either of them 270 electoral votes, and throwing the election to the House of representatives.

How realistic - or dumb - is this plan? I don't know, but it's certainly interesting.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

@TSE

I guess you don't see much news from Greece these days, Mr. Eagles. Heavy duty street violence seems rather prominent over there recently. Of course people taking to the streets in nasty violence can't possibly have anything to do with not being able to get change through the democratic process, would it? See also South Africa some years back and God knows how many other places around the world.

Do you honestly think the UK is like apartheid era South Africa?

In this country, you want to change things, you do it via the ballot box, not the by rule of the mob.
  • Options

@TSE

They can get change through the democratic process. They chose not to. They want to remain in the Eurozone, for reasons which are completely understandable in the historical context even if they are not very understandable in economic terms.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2016

Well, talking of willingness to admit mistakes, numerous Conservatives have admitted that the campaign against Khan attempting guilt by association ("we accept that he's not an Islamist extremist but...") was (a) unpleasant and (b) ludicrous. It would be nice if the same Conservatives advised against use of precisely the same tactics against Corbyn - "we accept that he's not a terrorist sympathiser/anti-semitic himself but...".

The case against Corbyn, and even more so McDonnell, is completely clear on this, so, no, I would very much hope that they don't accept anything of the sort. This is a guy who invited IRA bombers into parliament just days after the IRA had succeeded in murdering one of Corbyn's fellow MPs, a regional chairman, and three wives, as well as maiming others for life. They very nearly wiped out a large chunk of the democratically-elected government, yet Corbyn invited them to Westminster, rubbing the noses of the victims in the horror with utter disregard for their feelings.

Frankly, if you are not absolutely revolted by Corbyn's behaviour, your moral compass is utterly broken. McDonnell's record is even worse. I certainly hope the public are made fully aware of the disgusting records of both of them.

And that's without even going on to the subject of Hamas and other 'friends' of the Labour leadership.
    And yet, in spite of all that, the Tories still suffered one of their worst ever results in the local elections for a first-year government.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    With 8000 votes in:

Hillary 49
    Sanders 43

The count is so slow.
  • Options

@TSE

No.

Do you honestly think that the people in Greece are not petrol bombing their local plod?

The question is why are the people of Greece rioting so frequently? Could it possibly be due to their wishes and needs being ignored by the political elites?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    Lol proper hatchet job going on on the Bernsters on CNN.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,950

I think you're over the top Richard. In a Commons of 600-650 MPs there are always going to members who maintain dialogue with people who are beyond the pale. That is probably a good thing for society, even if we do not like it.

Where we are now is unique and without precedent, one such member has become a party leader. Not sure hyperbole like yours is useful or constructive. Corbyn has made no secret of what he has done, people can make up their own minds without anyone calling into question their moral compasses. I imagine that Corbyn, of whom I am no fan, may very well argue that this dialogue contributed to the peace process.
  • Options

@TSE

In this country, you want to change things, you do it via the ballot box, not the by rule of the mob.
    I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't mind a military coup,is that any help.
  • Options

@TSE

No.

Do you honestly think that the people in Greece are not petrol bombing their local plod?

The question is why are the people of Greece rioting so frequently? Could it possibly be due to their wishes and needs being ignored by the political elites?
    Because the Greeks want the Eurozone countries to keep on subsidising them.

The Eurozone have said not any more.
  • Options

@TSE

I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't mind a military coup,is that any help.
    Then you're not a democrat.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

What a weird campaign this is. It's like there's some sort of Nazi brain-eating virus being passed around political circles.
    What was in the ... ? between the two parts of the speech.
  • Options
    It's getting close, with 2% in:

Hillary 47
    Sanders 45
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

And yet, in spite of all that, the Tories still suffered one of their worst ever results in the local elections for a first-year government.

You might have noticed that there's a bit of a political kerfuffle going on at the moment, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the locals. In any case, the locals were not much about Corbyn.

In any case, my point was a moral one, not a psephological one. Sure, it's possible that voters won't be much put off by the disgusting record of Corbyn and McDonnell. That doesn't make the record any less disgusting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,563

Heseltine the man who wanted to join the Euro should look closer to the Europhile PM for losing judgement.

The politically correct groupthink that the Euro is a disaster is strong...
  • Options

@TSE

The point is you don't. We voted in a government to reduce immigration to less than 100,000 a year. It said it would. It promised. It can't deliver. That is one of the reasons why Leave will not be crushed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think you're over the top Richard. In a Commons of 600-650 MPs there are always going to members who maintain dialogue with people who are beyond the pale. That is probably a good thing for society, even if we do not like it.

Where we are now is unique and without precedent, one such member has become a party leader. Not sure hyperbole like yours is useful or constructive. Corbyn has made no secret of what he has done, people can make up their own minds without anyone calling into question their moral compasses. I imagine that Corbyn, of whom I am no fan, may very well argue that this dialogue contributed to the peace process.
    No, I am just being morally clear-headed.

It's not as though what I said is particularly controversial. Many, many decent Labour MPs. members and supporters (and even more ex-members and ex-supporters) agree, or used to agree. Some of them seem to have forgotten.
  • Options

@TSE

The point is you don't. We voted in a government to reduce immigration to less than 100,000 a year. It said it would. It promised. It can't deliver. That is one of the reasons why Leave will not be crushed.
    Dave failed his immigration pledge, and the voters still voted him back in, with an increase in both seats and share of the vote.

That's democracy.
  • Options

@TSE

Dave failed his immigration pledge, and the voters still voted him back in, with an increase in both seats and share of the vote.

That's democracy.
    And Fake Dave went on at the GE about cutting immigration again.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Speedy said:

It's getting close, with 2% in:

Hillary 47
    Sanders 45

Hillary might lose both Kentucky and Oregon - the clue? She is nowhere to be found and off the campaign trail this evening.

On the GOP side, short of a Jim Gilmore electoral sweep, there is no excitement.

Also odd that Hillary, whose whole campaign is based on her womanhood and being the first woman president, announced she would put her husband in charge of the number 1 concern of the electorate, the economy. It's the 2 for 1 deal all over again.

Billary is back, folks!
  • Options

@TSE

Neither are you.

Over 50% of the people voted for parties that wanted immigration below 100,000 and Cameron has flouted that.
  • Options

@TSE

That's democracy.
    And Fake Farage went on at the GE that he would stand down as UKIP Leader if he didn't win South Thanet.
  • Options
    With 4% in :

Hillary 47
    Sanders 46
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,544
    Tim_B said:

If you want to watch Megyn Kelly's interview with Michael Douglas, Robert Shapiro, Laverne Cox (?) and Donald Trump, it's on the Fox network at 8pm Eastern. That's Fox and NOT repeat NOT Fox news.

There are reports of another plan to stop Trump - and Hillary. This time the plan is to put up a third candidate in states where neither Trump nor Clinton did well, with a view to denying either of them 270 electoral votes, and throwing the election to the House of representatives.

How realistic - or dumb - is this plan? I don't know, but it's certainly interesting.

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is considering former GOP Massachusetts Governor William Weld as his VP
    http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/gary-johnson-william-weld-vice-president-libertarian/2016/05/17/id/729298/
  • Options
    Sanders now ahead with 5% in:

Sanders 47
    Hillary 46
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Quite right too. I may abhor your opinions on Europe, but Palmer put himself beyond the Pale when he went Full Corbyn.

As for Khan, he has too many dodgy associations. Examining them was therefore the Due Diligence of Democracy. That was done, and he was elected, so be it. But it was perfectly fair to scrutinize him, as he had questions to answer.

Imagine if Khan hadn't been analysed for his strange friendships, out of fear of being called racist. Then imagine that he turned out to be a full-on jihadist sympathiser. Democracy would have failed.

Instead, democracy did its job.

I think Sadiq Khan did have some questions to answer, but I also think that the Zac campaign hugely over-did it, which was counter-productive as well as not the kind of campaign that we should carry out.
  • Options

@TSE

Neither are you.

Over 50% of the people voted for parties that wanted immigration below 100,000 and Cameron has flouted that.
    And in a democracy we can boot the buggers out in five years time.

Voters vote on a variety of issues, not just one.

The one thing that does console me, the front man for Leave has argued for amnesty for illegal immigrants in this country.

There are honourable men and women who believe in Leave.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

@TSE

That's democracy.
    And Fake Farage went on at the GE that he would stand down as UKIP Leader if he didn't win South Thanet.
    And he did!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is considering former GOP Massachusetts Governor William Weld as his VP
    http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/gary-johnson-william-weld-vice-president-libertarian/2016/05/17/id/729298/
    Two candidates whose names slip off the tongue, but I seriously doubt they are the sort of names under consideration.
  • Options

@TSE

That's democracy.
    Did he not remake the pledge? Did he not promise to renegotiate and if that failed to recommend leave?

This is the problem with politics, it isn't when politicians tell lies it's when they are found out. It corrodes democracy and gives legitimacy to the mob. That is a bad way to go and that is Cameron's fault.
  • Options

@TSE

That's democracy.
    Did he not remake the pledge? Did he not promise to renegotiate and if that failed to recommend leave?

This is the problem with politics, it isn't when politicians tell lies it's when they are found out. It corrodes democracy and gives legitimacy to the mob. That is a bad way to go and that is Cameron's fault.
    You're misreading Cameron's comments on the latter.
  • Options

@TSE

That's democracy.
    Whilst I agree with you about that it is worth pointing out that he did stand down as leader. Not for long. But he did.....But we are not talking about Farage because he doesn't have the levers of powe (or in the case of immigration, powerlessness)
  • Options

@TSE

No.

What is it now in Greece 56% of the young people are unemployed, the country's economy is so deep in the shitter it probably is never capable of climbing out unless something really fundamental changes and they are being required by the EU to make further cuts, Cuts not only to public spending but to standards of living and job numbers. Even the IMF have said it can't go on and the plans imposed are self-defeating. Hundreds of thousands of lives are being ruined for what? For the Euro? For Politicians vanities? To stop over-extended German Banks from collapsing?

Frankly, if I were a Greek, I'd be out on the streets too.

This is Greece we are talking about, not some third world hell-hole. A member of the EU you are so keen on. The place is falling apart and violence has arrived, and no one has got a clue what to do about it. The idea that when democracy fails violence may follow is, perhaps, not so far fetched,
  • Options

@TSE

Neither are you.

That's rather the point. We can't. We don't elect those who decide our immigration policy.
  • Options

It corrodes democracy when people throw around unjustified accusations of 'lying'.

Missing a target is not 'lying'.
  • Options

@TSE

That's democracy.

You're misreading Cameron's comments on the latter.
    No.
  • Options
    And CNN projects (as usual): Too Close Too Call.
  • Options

It corrodes democracy when people throw around unjustified accusations of 'lying'.

It is a lie when he knew it couldn't be Achievable .
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheScreamingEagles

'Dave failed his immigration pledge, and the voters still voted him back in, with an increase in both seats and share of the vote.'

He's managed to dupe the voters twice,hopefully the voters will tell him where to go on the 23 June.
  • Options

The lying refers to saying he'd recommend leave if he didn't get what he wanted. If that's all he really wanted I'm a Dutchman.

However what ever words are used on here isn't relevant it is what is felt in the wider demos. It isn't going to be a better view of either politicians, politics or the democratic process.
  • Options

@TSE

No.

What is it now in Greece 56% of the young people are unemployed, the country's economy is so deep in the shitter it probably is never capable of climbing out unless something really fundamental changes and they are being required by the EU to make further cuts, Cuts not only to public spending but to standards of living and job numbers. Even the IMF have said it can't go on and the plans imposed are self-defeating. Hundreds of thousands of lives are being ruined for what? For the Euro? For Politicians vanities? To stop over-extended German Banks from collapsing?

This is Greece we are talking about, not some third world hell-hole. A member of the EU you are so keen on. The place is falling apart and violence has arrived, and no one has got a clue what to do about it. The idea that when democracy fails violence may follow is, perhaps, not so far fetched,
    I would like the Eurozone countries to subsidize me too. I like Greek yogurt, I beware of Greeks baring anything, my daughter spent 2 weeks there in a school tennis tournament, and Zorba the Greek is one of my favorite movies. Isn't that enough?

I am a better financial risk than Greece, owe less, my balance of payments is better, as is my credit rating.

I'd say that's a slam dunk.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

why you waste your time on CNN, a shadow of what it once was, escapes me.
  • Options
    "Missing a target is not 'lying'."

No, but running an economic policy based on not meeting the target (see recent Treasury Document on growth based on population increase) and not have any actual plan to meet said target might, even to the most charitable, suggest that the person who made the promise was not being entirely straightforward.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tykejohnno

'Fake Dave at it again.

David Cameron ditches law to make UK parliament supreme over Brussels from Queen's Speech

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7157359/David-Cameron-ditches-law-to-enshrine-UK-parliaments-sovereignty-over-Brussels-from-Queens-Speech.htm,

Is anyone surprised ?

Is there anything he hasn't u-turned on ?

He's absolutely pathetic.

• Options

No, but running an economic policy based on not meeting the target (see recent Treasury Document on growth based on population increase) and not have any actual plan to meet said target might, even to the most charitable, suggest that the person who made the promise was not being entirely straightforward.

You mean like the Obama plan to eradicate ISIS based on not doing so?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Kentucky 11% in

Sanders 47%
    Clinton 46%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

No, he artfully 'changed Pu'in's calculus' until the Russian felt compelled to intervene in Syria and do the job themselves.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Kentucky 11% in

Sanders 47%
    Clinton 46%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/
    With 12% it's Bern by 0.8%

Now by 1.1%
  • Options
    Sanders now leading by 2.2%
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,307
    john_zims said:

@Tykejohnno

'Fake Dave at it again.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7157359/David-Cameron-ditches-law-to-enshrine-UK-parliaments-sovereignty-over-Brussels-from-Queens-Speech.htm,

Is anyone surprised ?

Considering he is Remain's key asset, he is doing a cracking job for Leave...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hillary needs Lexington and Louisville to come to the rescue.
    Or large margins in western Kentucky.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I would like the Eurozone countries to subsidize me too. I like Greek yogurt, I beware of Greeks baring anything, my daughter spent 2 weeks there in a school tennis tournament, and Zorba the Greek is one of my favorite movies. Isn't that enough?

I am a better financial risk than Greece, owe less, my balance of payments is better, as is my credit rating.

I'd say that's a slam dunk.
    No. In the UK, in Greece's position you would be allowed to go bankrupt, and the start again.

In a countries position the IMF would insist on a debt write down. There has only been a partial one protecting German banks.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

No, because he had a plan, is executing it and it is in progress. It also appears to be making progress.

Cameron hasn't actually got a realistic plan to reduce immigration.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Tim_B said:

Hillary was pointing out recently that she beat Obama in 9 out of the last 12 states to vote in 2008.

Highlighting that she's losing states she won 8 years ago might not be a great idea though.
  • Options
    I wonder if all the 100,000 pledge breaking projections are harming Remain?

They keep on hammering it home - look here, Leave will damage growth by restricting immigration, just like Dave said he would but didn't actually mean.

It seems an odd strategy to openly flaunt that you're a bunch of liars.
  • Options
    Well only 19% say that America is Great at the moment, so I guess the answer is yes.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Could be, Mr. B I don;t follow US politics closely enough to know. From what I do pick up it seems that Obama is from the same mould as Cameron - i.e. brazenly unprincipled and quite content to say one thing and do another. Why anyone voted for either after their first term in office is beyond me (though of course over here the Conservative voters could pretend to their consciences that they were not actually voting for Cameron but for their local candidate).
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

john_zims said:

@Tykejohnno

'Fake Dave at it again.

Is anyone surprised ?

"On February 21, just two days after finishing his EU renegotiation, Mr Cameron told the Andrew Marr programme: “We are going to set out in the coming days proposals to make clear the British parliament is sovereign”.
  • Options
    Former Liberal MP for Newbury David Rendel has died aged 67
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/Dem
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Tim_B said:

Hillary was pointing out recently that she beat Obama in 9 out of the last 12 states to vote in 2008.
    I remember that, one of the reasons why I feared that Obama might lose to McCain was his lackluster campaign in the primaries, after the surprise N.Hampshire defeat he was going down hill.

The first thing that Obama did after he was nominated of course was to go for a lengthy vacation to eurore, by the time he got back McCain was in the lead.
    It took Lehman Brothers and Sarah Palin for Obama to win.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

No, because he had a plan, is executing it and it is in progress. It also appears to be making progress.

Osborne has a plan for rising immigration to achieve his budget surplus,it is rumoured ;-)
  • Options
    Kentucky - 21% in

Sanders 47.8%
    Clinton 44.7%

Looking now like another Sanders win, goodnight!
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/Dem
  • Options
    The only thing sure for now in Kentucky is that more would have voted in the Democratic Primary than the Republican Caucus, but you can't compare caucus and primary turnouts.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

I remember that, one of the reasons why I feared that Obama might lose to McCain was his lackluster campaign in the primaries, after the surprise N.Hampshire defeat he was going down hill.

The first thing that Obama did after he was nominated of course was to go for a lengthy vacation to eurore, by the time he got back McCain was in the lead.
    It took Lehman Brothers and Sarah Palin for Obama to win.
    Obama actually led pretty much throughout June, July and August, McCain led briefly after picking Palin and the GOP convention at the beginning of September before Obama retook the lead and never lost it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_United_States_presidential_election,_2008
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

@TSE

No.

Ironically, the only way to stop having to continually 'bail Greece out' is to forgive/transfer the debt across the Eurozone/to the German treasury.

Which will of course never happen.

Just think, in an alternate universe Greece left the Euro 3 or more years back, and are back in the capital markets with a devalued New Drachma, growing economy, thriving tourist industry and are, a la Turkey, getting paid to help with the Migrant crisis.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@Tykejohnno

'Fake Dave at it again.

Is anyone surprised ?

"On February 21, just two days after finishing his EU renegotiation, Mr Cameron told the Andrew Marr programme: “We are going to set out in the coming days proposals to make clear the British parliament is sovereign”.
    Quite, Miss P., on so many issues Cameron has said one thing then either done another or bottled out completely. Why supposedly intelligent people still apparently support him is beyond me, tribalism only goes so far surely.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Osborne has a plan for rising immigration to achieve his budget surplus,it is rumoured ;-)
    Quite.

Still, he is an asset to the Leave campaign as are Cameron's quotes.
  • Options
    Louisville is coming to the rescue of Hillary.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The only thing sure for now in Kentucky is that more would have voted in the Democratic Primary than the Republican Caucus, but you can't compare caucus and primary turnouts.

I think part of the reason for the Kentucky result is Clinton's claim that she would put coal companies and coal miners out of business.
  • Options
    Daniel Moylan ‏@danielmgmoylan
    Despite the news outlets' playing it down today, this is the biggest time bomb of the campaign so far. Disgraceful.

Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1
    Jacob Rees-Mogg: If Cameron misled Parliament over EU referendum he HAS to resign http://shr.gs/GJRxpCN #ByeByeDave
  • Options

Daniel Moylan ‏@danielmgmoylan
    Despite the news outlets' playing it down today, this is the biggest time bomb of the campaign so far. Disgraceful.

Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1
    Jacob Rees-Mogg: If Cameron misled Parliament over EU referendum he HAS to resign http://shr.gs/GJRxpCN #ByeByeDave

He probably did mislead Parliament but like Blair he won't resign.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

@TSE

No.

Ironically, the only way to stop having to continually 'bail Greece out' is to forgive/transfer the debt across the Eurozone/to the German treasury.

Which will of course never happen.

Just think, in an alternate universe Greece left the Euro 3 or more years back, and are back in the capital markets with a devalued New Drachma, growing economy, thriving tourist industry and are, a la Turkey, getting paid to help with the Migrant crisis.
    Except then there is Italy.

That said if that did happen remain may have been winning clearly by now because the EU would not look like quite such a basket case.
  • Options
    Sanders is ahead by 3000 votes, but Hillary can still bank 11 thousand from Louisville and Lexington.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

They keep on hammering it home - look here, Leave will damage growth by restricting immigration, just like Dave said he would but didn't actually mean.

The £4,300 figure doesn't take into account any difference between immigration in the Remain and Leave scenarios. Rather, it is a consequence of the barriers to trade that are predicted to result from leaving the EU.
  • Options

The £4,300 figure doesn't take into account any difference between immigration in the Remain and Leave scenarios. Rather, it is a consequence of the barriers to trade that are predicted to result from leaving the EU.
    The leave scenario in the reports assumes the UK doesn't want to do much free trade which is odd as being able to negotiate our own free trade agreements is one of the planks of leave.
  • Options

Did that number of households denominator issue get settled on PB?

What was the conclusion?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    looks like the queen is giving a critique of dave's performance
  • Options
    @Speedy

"He probably did mislead Parliament but like Blair he won't resign"

Of course he misled parliament, he misled the entire population, saying one thing in public and doing something else behind the scenes, it is what he does, It is what Blair did so it shouldn't be a surprise since Cameron once claimed he was the "True heir to Blair".
  • Options
    I think Hillary is on course to win Kentucky.
    Her lead in Louisville is large enough to carry her to victory.
  • Options

Did that number of households denominator issue get settled on PB?

What was the conclusion?
    In the report itself, all the figures are given in terms of GDP per capita as well as in GDP per household, where the latter figure seems to have been calculated from the first by multiplying by an assumed household size of 2.44.

There were some media reports of the number of households in 2015 being used to calculate the GDP per household in 2030, but I couldn't find the origin of the claim and couldn't see any indication for it in the report. I've no idea what the basis for the claim is.
  • Options
    The man is getting laughed at,not good.

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/732269444244877313
  • Options
    I'm calling Kentucky for Hillary.
    Goodnight.
  • Options

It brings to mind Harry Enfield's 'Is that what you want, coz that's what'll happen' character.
  • Options
    Didn't he also predict that Leicester City would win the premiership?

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/732269444244877313

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,778

@TSE

Neither are you.

Voters vote on a variety of issues, not just one.

The one thing that does console me, the front man for Leave has argued for amnesty for illegal immigrants in this country.

There are honourable men and women who believe in Leave.
    Be LEAVE!
This discussion has been closed.