Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Great news for IN from ICM phone survey and for OUT from IC

Comments

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    PeterC said:

UKIP at 17% in the Online poll is a clear indication of where some of the error arises . In the real world the UKIP performance in English local elections and Welsh Assembly elections showed that online polls are overstating UKIP by 3-5% . The steady stream of councillors defecting from UKIP tells the same story . Only today UKIP have lost another councillor in Thanet rising both from the party and the council .

Poll respondents will assume that there will be a candidate from their chosen party to vote for. UKIP do no not contest every seat and this alone will depress their actual performance compared to poll rating.
    The NEV vote share calculation allows for not contesting all the seats . UKIP contested all Welsh Assembly seats and still polled 3.5% less than the Yougov online polls .
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

OT. Worrying about Sinead O'Connor. Missing since Sunday morning after going for a bike ride in Chicago.

She's been found safe and well.
    Glad to hear it - nothing compares to her.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

UKIP at 17% in the Online poll is a clear indication of where some of the error arises . In the real world the UKIP performance in English local elections and Welsh Assembly elections showed that online polls are overstating UKIP by 3-5% . The steady stream of councillors defecting from UKIP tells the same story . Only today UKIP have lost another councillor in Thanet rising both from the party and the council .

Once again ignoring the PCC elections because they don't match your pre-conceived ideas.
    Keep dreaming of a 20% PCC level turnout so that UKIP voters can sweep you to success in the EU referendum
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,439
    DavidL said:

Can I confidently claim now that ICM have called this right? Whichever way it goes.

Those that claim gold does not tarnish need to look again.

What odds the dead heat?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TonyE said:

SeanT said:

I reckon REMAIN will be unhappy at these polls. More unhappy than LEAVE

This last week was supposedly "disastrous" for the "useless Leave campaign" (if PB threaders are anything to go by), meanwhile REMAIN threw everything at their opponents, from the IMF lady to Cameron's WAR!!!!

They must have been expecting a noticeable shift in favour of STAY. I confess, I was., too. And yet, nada.

In 1975, the polls were fairly accurate and didn't move in the last four weeks. In had it by a long way, and they had done all the ground work before the main campaign started.

In fact, they had already won the referendum by mid May, as minds were by then made up. This is going to be much closer and the government will have to fight right up to the last day to keep us in. I think they thought that they could win it before the starting gun was fired and threw the kitchen sink at it upfront as in 75. That might end up being their major miscalculation.

Remain will probably still win, but the margin will be too close to settle the issue for long
    The Government can't fight in the last 4 weeks - Purdah. Of course they can get everywoman and her cat from the other 27 countries in the EU, the IMF and World Bank to weigh in on their behalf. (Not to mention the EU doing its bit by delaying awkward things like the budget until after the debate.)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,062
    More Lab Mayors and ex MPs?

Arif Ansari ‎@ArifBBC
    Senior Merseyside politicians say Liverpool MPs Steve Rotheram and Luciana Berger will run to be Labour's candidate for metro mayor.
    8:02 PM - 16 May 2016
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Omnium said:

Once again ignoring the PCC elections because they don't match your pre-conceived ideas.
    UKIP can't be that meaningless if you're planning to make gains from undermining their support.

Thanet UKIP down from 33 to 26.
    http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Newington-Ukip-councillor-Mo-Leys-resigns/story-29278983-detail/story.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,439

Omnium said:

UKIP can't be that meaningless if you're planning to make gains from undermining their support.

Thanet UKIP down from 33 to 26.
    http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Newington-Ukip-councillor-Mo-Leys-resigns/story-29278983-detail/story.html
    Boris has shown it is a lot more fun to be a Mayor than a backbench MP. Even more so if you are in Opposition...
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,950
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The sad truth is that both phone polls and Internet polls are crap for different reasons. Phone polls cannot reach significant parts of the population and Internet polls are infested with unrepresentative nutters who actually care.

The skill and luck of a pollster is to turn this sows ear into a silk purse by judging how distorted their sample is and compensating vaguely correctly. Who is doing that better in the present case is really anyone's guess.

I know yougov is a self selecting pool from which the company then picks at random but how do the other online firms work?
    They all work in much the same way; you can join the Ipsos-MORI panel here https://www.ipsos-mori.com/ourexpertise/researchtechniques/datacollection/online/onlinepanels/joinus.aspx
    So to be included in an online poll you have to first register yourself with the polling company. Doesn't sound a very satisfactory way of producing a truly representative sample, which is borne out by your comments about insurgent parties being overrepresented in online polls across Europe.

With the online/phone polls consistently showing different referendum results with a bit of luck the actual result will go someway to indicating which are the most reliable.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,409

Keep dreaming of a 20% PCC level turnout so that UKIP voters can sweep you to success in the EU referendum
    So what was turnout in the locals relative to a Westminster election with which the English locals are being compared? Believe what you what, on June 24 we'll have a better idea of how well the polls did.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

OT. Worrying about Sinead O'Connor. Missing since Sunday morning after going for a bike ride in Chicago.

Just a piece of inside information:
    Wilmette is a suburb of Chicago bordering not on Chicago, but on Evanston, itself a 'burb". Both these places are thoroughly respectable middle/ upper-middle/upper class peaceful towns, where kids still can walk to school, and often do.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,853

Today has mostly been spent not seeing a Lammergeier (a Bearded Vulture) on Dartmoor.

Not happy...

You might have more luck finding German vultures after June 23rd.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    philiph said:

MP_SE said:

Call Me Dave claiming the EU is great for young people. I presume he means just those who have jobs.

"EU membership has opened Europe up to the younger generation."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-writes-mirror-dont-7978638

I could have sworn that most of the changes in the last twenty years or so to do with 'opening europe' had roots in improved communications.

Social changes, attitudinal changes, pc changes, travel changes, political changes and much more were started or possible because of communication (and some technological) changes. Not Europe.

Mass unemployment has given the lazy swines a good reason to travel as well.
  • Options
    Moderators
    Regarding the previous ICM Phone Apr 12-15, the table on page 13 for certain to vote shows LEAVE as 40 and not the 41 in the figures above. Was there some adjustment?
    2016_guardian_april_ICM modetest.pdf
    re-posted.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,196

So your low turnout council elections where UKIP didn't stand in most seats is more representative than the low turnout PCC elections where UKIP did stand in most seats.

They averaged 15.8% in the 34 PCC elections - not far off that 17% you scorn.

Mind you the Lib Dems always were renowned for their dishonest analysis.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

PeterC said:

Poll respondents will assume that there will be a candidate from their chosen party to vote for. UKIP do no not contest every seat and this alone will depress their actual performance compared to poll rating.
    The NEV vote share calculation allows for not contesting all the seats . UKIP contested all Welsh Assembly seats and still polled 3.5% less than the Yougov online polls .
    The whole trouble with UKIP is that the internal structure of the party is very flimsy, and policy, such as there is, is made in a very small circle. Take that from me, as an ex member.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited May 2016
    Mike's headline Voting Intention figures for the Phone Poll are wrong. Should be Con 36% Lab 34%.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,054
    Evening all :)

I've no particular view on the evening's polls. I'm sure they have been digested, micro analysed and regurgitated already on here by the psephologists and others.

Musing on the journey home, it seems to me REMAIN are primarily seeing the issue in economic terms. The main argument seems to hinge on the notion we will be £4,300 less well off if we vote to leave the EU and the primary appeal is to security, aspiration and the future.

Yet it is couched in economic terms for, as far as REMAIN is concerned, we are economic units. The Cameron/Osborne mantra of "hard working families" emphasises the economic aspect. We work, we earn for ourselves and we contribute to the greater whole of the British economy. Our raison d'etre is to work, produce and consume - as part of a larger European economy, in which units can move and contribute to the general or indeed specific prosperity.

LEAVE sees it otherwise - the appeal is more to the human aspects of society, culture and identity. For LEAVE, it is about people, individuals and families, not couched in hard economics but in softer less quantifiable aspects such as who we are and the society in which we want to live and the people we want to live with and how we interact with them.

As a parallel from my world of work, I was asked to look at a Council's Library portfolio. I soon realised there was a huge tension between the Library Department and the Central Property function. For Property, the Library was an asset with a defined cost to run and maintain - they could produce life cycle costings for each site.

The Library service saw it quite differently - for them it was about footfall, location and whether those using the library had a positive experience. Harder to quantify but no less valuable.

I soon realised the most property-efficient libraries were the ones least used while the popular libraries needed thousands of pounds to repair and maintain them.

LEAVE, meet REMAIN. Rock, let me introduce you to hard place.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,164
    edited May 2016
    Fewer than 400 have been sent back since EU-Ankara deal came in to effect

The Financial Times reports that some 8,500 people have arrived on Greek islands since the deal came into force, according to the country's migration co-ordination unit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593240/Fears-migrant-surge-Greece-fewer-400-sent-Turkey-new-deal-Athens-deems-vast-majority-deserving-asylum.html

What a joke. More money thrown at the problem and basically they are doing f##k all. It should be a ferry a day taking illegals back, not a one ferry total.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    stodge said:

I soon realised the most property-efficient libraries were the ones least used while the popular libraries needed thousands of pounds to repair and maintain them.

Has it taken you this long to work out bean counters like buildings unused whilst service providers want them used? ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,175

Arif Ansari ‎@ArifBBC
    Senior Merseyside politicians say Liverpool MPs Steve Rotheram and Luciana Berger will run to be Labour's candidate for metro mayor.

Run a city or ten years in opposition.
  • Options

Arif Ansari ‎@ArifBBC

But but Corbynism is sweeping the nation and he will be carried on the shoulders of millions into Downing Street, as he is voted into #10 in a landslide victory in 2020....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,175

Arif Ansari ‎@ArifBBC

But but Corbynism is sweeping the nation and he will be carried on the shoulders of millions into Downing Street, as he is voted into #10 in a landslide victory in 2020....
    Meanwhile, back on earth...
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    weejonnie said:

TonyE said:

SeanT said:

I reckon REMAIN will be unhappy at these polls. More unhappy than LEAVE

This last week was supposedly "disastrous" for the "useless Leave campaign" (if PB threaders are anything to go by), meanwhile REMAIN threw everything at their opponents, from the IMF lady to Cameron's WAR!!!!

They must have been expecting a noticeable shift in favour of STAY. I confess, I was., too. And yet, nada.

In 1975, the polls were fairly accurate and didn't move in the last four weeks. In had it by a long way, and they had done all the ground work before the main campaign started.

In fact, they had already won the referendum by mid May, as minds were by then made up. This is going to be much closer and the government will have to fight right up to the last day to keep us in. I think they thought that they could win it before the starting gun was fired and threw the kitchen sink at it upfront as in 75. That might end up being their major miscalculation.

Remain will probably still win, but the margin will be too close to settle the issue for long
    The Government can't fight in the last 4 weeks - Purdah. Of course they can get everywoman and her cat from the other 27 countries in the EU, the IMF and World Bank to weigh in on their behalf. (Not to mention the EU doing its bit by delaying awkward things like the budget until after the debate.)
    Although I'm well aware of Purdah, the government (in terms of the personalities) will be unrestrained. It will just be a case of not having access to the state resources.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,103
    So ICM have published a poll which demonstrates that their other poll is bollocks. Only they leave it to us to try and figure out which one is bollocks.

Even the direction of movement isn't consistent.

I'm glad I don't bet!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,192
    stodge said:

I've no particular view on the evening's polls. I'm sure they have been digested, micro analysed and regurgitated already on here by the psephologists and others.

Musing on the journey home, it seems to me REMAIN are primarily seeing the issue in economic terms. The main argument seems to hinge on the notion we will be £4,300 less well off if we vote to leave the EU and the primary appeal is to security, aspiration and the future.

Yet it is couched in economic terms for, as far as REMAIN is concerned, we are economic units. The Cameron/Osborne mantra of "hard working families" emphasises the economic aspect. We work, we earn for ourselves and we contribute to the greater whole of the British economy. Our raison d'etre is to work, produce and consume - as part of a larger European economy, in which units can move and contribute to the general or indeed specific prosperity.

LEAVE sees it otherwise - the appeal is more to the human aspects of society, culture and identity. For LEAVE, it is about people, individuals and families, not couched in hard economics but in softer less quantifiable aspects such as who we are and the society in which we want to live and the people we want to live with and how we interact with them.

As a parallel from my world of work, I was asked to look at a Council's Library portfolio. I soon realised there was a huge tension between the Library Department and the Central Property function. For Property, the Library was an asset with a defined cost to run and maintain - they could produce life cycle costings for each site.

The Library service saw it quite differently - for them it was about footfall, location and whether those using the library had a positive experience. Harder to quantify but no less valuable.

Remain's argument is essentially Marxist. Regardless of what either side may profess, this is about competing economic interests.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,375
    If, as seems quite possible, online polls are driven by the politically motivated signing up, isn't that a bit daft? Why would you want your side to appear to be doing better than it actually is? It would only motivate your rivals and sow the seeds of complacency in your own side. Okay, I suppose you get to gloat on internet forums and watch your rivals panic, but isn't that rather short term?
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

If, as seems quite possible, online polls are driven by the politically motivated signing up, isn't that a bit daft? Why would you want your side to appear to be doing better than it actually is? It would only motivate your rivals and sow the seeds of complacency in your own side. Okay, I suppose you get to gloat on internet forums and watch your rivals panic, but isn't that rather short term?

Momentum, or possibly making the opposition panic and do something detrimental?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,103
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Remain's argument is essentially Marxist.
    Nice try, but I'm still voting Leave!
  • Options

So your low turnout council elections where UKIP didn't stand in most seats is more representative than the low turnout PCC elections where UKIP did stand in most seats.

Even according to telephone polls, UKIP do better than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You forget that there will be an inevitable Lib Dem surge. They're winning here.... ;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

You forget that there will be an inevitable Lib Dem surge. They're winning here.... ;)
    If only Martin Day also made a return we could get a graphical depiction of that.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,370
    Not sure if anyone here is updating the Wiki polls listing.

It's got both tonight's ICMs (and with the correct figures) but is missing Sunday's ComRes (Con 36, Lab 30, UKIP 17, LD 8, Green 4).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    @TSE: have just sent you a VM.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,054

Has it taken you this long to work out bean counters like buildings unused whilst service providers want them used? ;)

Of course not but I don't think the Council concerned knew that or if they did they wanted a third party to give them some guidance as how to resolve the tension.

The "bean counters" (whatever that's meant to mean) didn't want the buildings at all and argued libraries have a declining role in our digital world. That's not of course how the Library Service saw it.

By the way, did you ever get that blog of yours ? I thought you mentioned it once but perhaps I was mistaken.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,156
    Cyclefree said:

I've not received anything.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The absurdity of this debate is somehow to think that a party's "true" level of support is measured only by it's performance in local council elections.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Remain's argument is essentially Marxist. Regardless of what either side may profess, this is about competing economic interests.
    Thanks. That cements my vote.
  • Options
    Interesting comments from Megyn Kelly about Trump and her upcoming interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38iHDyb8mbE
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You should now.

(I hope).

• Options
    OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The sad truth is that both phone polls and Internet polls are crap for different reasons. Phone polls cannot reach significant parts of the population and Internet polls are infested with unrepresentative nutters who actually care.

The skill and luck of a pollster is to turn this sows ear into a silk purse by judging how distorted their sample is and compensating vaguely correctly. Who is doing that better in the present case is really anyone's guess.

I know yougov is a self selecting pool from which the company then picks at random but how do the other online firms work?
    They all work in much the same way; you can join the Ipsos-MORI panel here https://www.ipsos-mori.com/ourexpertise/researchtechniques/datacollection/online/onlinepanels/joinus.aspx
    So to be included in an online poll you have to first register yourself with the polling company. Doesn't sound a very satisfactory way of producing a truly representative sample, which is borne out by your comments about insurgent parties being overrepresented in online polls across Europe.

With the online/phone polls consistently showing different referendum results with a bit of luck the actual result will go someway to indicating which are the most reliable.
    Sadly, for us Labour types, the GE2015 phone polls proved more accurate.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Radek Sikorski, a former Polish foreign minister with longstanding ties to Britain, said he is "very worried" British voters could opt to leave the European Union, fearing it could weaken a political arrangement that has given Europe its longest-ever period of peace and prosperity.....

....Sikorski, who has also held the position of defense minister and speaker of parliament in Poland and is now a senior fellow at Harvard University, argued that a weaker EU would help Russia.

"There is no surprise that Russian media, Russian troll factories, Russian money is supporting Brexit," said Sikorski. "It makes sense that Russia would like to deal with Europe one-by-one and not with the European Union as a whole. That would strengthen Russia's negotiating position vis-a-vis every member state. What surprises me is that some people in smaller countries don't see that."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/ap-interview-polish-foreign-minister-sees-brexit-dangers-39148399
  • Options
    stodge said:

Of course not but I don't think the Council concerned knew that or if they did they wanted a third party to give them some guidance as how to resolve the tension.

The "bean counters" (whatever that's meant to mean) didn't want the buildings at all and argued libraries have a declining role in our digital world. That's not of course how the Library Service saw it.

By the way, did you ever get that blog of yours ? I thought you mentioned it once but perhaps I was mistaken.

Yes... Bean counters seem to have some odd ideas. My late father told me the story on American railways of a station using too much loo roll so they solved the problem by having the door locked. Loo roll usage dropped dramatically.

Repairs to toilet doors on the other hand rose dramatically as they seldom could find the key in an "emergency". Now there's a surprise!

And yes.. I did get that blog going!
    http://aconservatives.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You should now.

(I hope).

Received and replied
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Tim_B said:

@VapidBilge - was your name inspired by Coldplay recordings, or the Eurovision Song Contest?

I believe it was derived from an insult that a prominent member of the metropolitan elite on this forum fired off concerning Miss Plato's posts
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The absurdity of this debate is somehow to think that a party's "true" level of support is measured only by it's performance in local council elections.
    Quite. As turnout varies for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,387
    surbiton said:

Sadly, for us Labour types, the GE2015 phone polls proved more accurate.

Worth noting though that after (possibly exaggerated) adjustments, the two polls currently show the same VI (2% Tory lead). So whatever was distorting the picture at the GE, this is something different.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Fenman said:

Non tariff barriers basically boil down to ignorant Europeans expecting people trying to sell them services to speak their language. So, whereas they speak English and perhaps two or three others, we only speak our own - badly.
    The number of UK students studying European languages has dropped by 6% over the past three years. Little comfort for remainers believing we can trade with the rest of the world however as the number students studying other languages has dropped by 14% over the same period.

But you don't do good foreign trade by having Brits speak foreign languages better. You do that by having better products at competitive prices and a local strategic partner who knows the market and how to work it and, by being local, has native tongue linguistic abilities rather than 'fluent'.
  • Options
    Business figures who signed an open letter supporting Brexit include tax avoidance specialists, dozens of retirees and the publisher of a book about Ukip introduced by Nigel Farage.

The list of more than 300 people also includes the bosses of dormant companies and a law firm that admits leaving the European Union could lead to a repeal of workers’ rights.

In a letter published in the Daily Telegraph, the business names claim Brexit would create more jobs, adding that the UK’s competitiveness is being “undermined by our membership”.

While signatories include heavyweight names, such as former HSBC chief executive Michael Geoghegan and the Wetherspoons chairman, Tim Martin, the leadership credentials of many others are less clear. Several preside over companies listed as “dormant” by Companies House, while 23 are no longer active in the business world.

One signatory is John Kersey, managing director of Preston hair salon Kersey Hairdressing, a business with net assets of £313.

The list also includes the bosses of a clutch of firms with a history of facilitating tax avoidance. Robert Hiscox, honorary president of Hiscox Insurance, has been an outspoken defender of tax avoidance, having moved his company to Bermuda to slash its tax bill.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/16/pro-brexit-bosses-include-retirees-and-tax-avoidance-experts
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Fox employees been told to row in behind Trump?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Radek Sikorski, a former Polish foreign minister with longstanding ties to Britain, said he is "very worried" British voters could opt to leave the European Union, fearing it could weaken a political arrangement that has given Europe its longest-ever period of peace and prosperity.....

....Sikorski, who has also held the position of defense minister and speaker of parliament in Poland and is now a senior fellow at Harvard University, argued that a weaker EU would help Russia.

"There is no surprise that Russian media, Russian troll factories, Russian money is supporting Brexit," said Sikorski. "It makes sense that Russia would like to deal with Europe one-by-one and not with the European Union as a whole. That would strengthen Russia's negotiating position vis-a-vis every member state. What surprises me is that some people in smaller countries don't see that."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/ap-interview-polish-foreign-minister-sees-brexit-dangers-39148399

"Radek Sikorski, a former Polish foreign minister with longstanding ties to Britain, said he is "very worried" British voters could opt to leave the European Union, fearing it could reduce the amount of money his country gets.

Fixed it for him.
  • Options

Business figures who signed an open letter supporting Brexit include tax avoidance specialists, dozens of retirees and the publisher of a book about Ukip introduced by Nigel Farage.

The list of more than 300 people also includes the bosses of dormant companies and a law firm that admits leaving the European Union could lead to a repeal of workers’ rights.

In a letter published in the Daily Telegraph, the business names claim Brexit would create more jobs, adding that the UK’s competitiveness is being “undermined by our membership”.

While signatories include heavyweight names, such as former HSBC chief executive Michael Geoghegan and the Wetherspoons chairman, Tim Martin, the leadership credentials of many others are less clear. Several preside over companies listed as “dormant” by Companies House, while 23 are no longer active in the business world.

One signatory is John Kersey, managing director of Preston hair salon Kersey Hairdressing, a business with net assets of £313.

The list also includes the bosses of a clutch of firms with a history of facilitating tax avoidance. Robert Hiscox, honorary president of Hiscox Insurance, has been an outspoken defender of tax avoidance, having moved his company to Bermuda to slash its tax bill.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/16/pro-brexit-bosses-include-retirees-and-tax-avoidance-experts

These organized letters always turn out the same...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You should now.

(I hope).

Received and replied
    And have replied back.

Early night for me now......

• Options

Radek Sikorski might have helped his cause, had he been less rude about the UK in the past.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    TonyE said:

Momentum, or possibly making the opposition panic and do something detrimental?
    Very much depends on the shape of the race. If you are 10 points behind and the race looks lost, having a poll showing you 4 points behind will motivate your side and panic the other.

If, on the other hand, you are 10 points ahead and engineer one to show yourself 15 points ahead, that would be stupid.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    Norm said:

Tim_B said:

@VapidBilge - was your name inspired by Coldplay recordings, or the Eurovision Song Contest?

I believe it was derived from an insult that a prominent member of the metropolitan elite on this forum fired off concerning Miss Plato's posts
    Yes, but finally prompted by the suggestion that PB should buy a racehorse and name it such.

Setting up an account with the name would be much cheaper for all involved, excepting the royalties owed to Alastair Meeks.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Ouch.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Today has mostly been spent not seeing a Lammergeier (a Bearded Vulture) on Dartmoor.

Not happy...

https://twitter.com/pipkazan/status/732305419666886657

• Options

Fox employees been told to row in behind Trump?
    What do you think a right wing TV network would do ?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,794

Guardian doesn't like Brexit signatories, shock.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    duplicate.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,271

EPG said:

Speedy said:

The only thing I can see as usual that causes the difference between Online and Phone polls are the reaction of the over 65's of age.

In the ICM Phone poll over 65's are in favour of Remain, in the ICM Online poll they are 2-1 in favour of Leave.

The entire difference is caused by that one category and it's consistent since the start.

That is a very interesting find.

If validated I am quite astonished.

Pensioners are the most brexit minded demographic I have come across. I have to wonder sediously what is going on in phone polls if their oaps are remainers in the majority.

I can only think that they have oversampled genteel types that will do what that nice Mr Cameron suggests.
    Maybe instead you have undersampled them in your coming-acrossing?
    It is possible. But everywhere I read that the older people are the more pro Brexit they are.

A gap like that only appearing in a single demographic looks unprecedented to me. Top marks to Speedy for spotting it.
    The chart I linked to FPT clearly showed undecided and Leave begins at 43yrs old.
    Thanks for posting that Plato.
    I used it to estimate very crudely the Leave share ~ 56%.
    I think Remain should be worried.
    It doesn't fit with the bookies odds, but here are my calculations:

Age 18-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 55-64 65+ ALL
    Electorate 10 15 15 15 15 30 100
    Turnout% 43 54 64 72 77 78
    Voters 4.3 8.1 9.6 10.8 11.55 23.4 67.8
    Leave% 30 35 50 58 60 68
    Leave voters 1.3 2.8 4.8 6.3 6.9 15.9 38.0

==> 38.0/67.8 = 56 %
    Assumptions

Electorate: my guess for the proportions

Turnout%: https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3575/How-Britain-voted-in-2015.aspx

Voters = Electorate*Turnout%/100

Leave%: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/the-europe-question/revealed-the-age-we-turn-eurosceptic

Leave voters = Voters*Leave%
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Local election results do show that that voters are willing to support a party, possibly soft support, but support nonetheless. They also build a base to convert to Westminster support. It is the correct way back for LDs.

• Options

It makes you wonder they let the desperate search for numbers to add to the signatories list, blind them to the fact that a chunk will be involved in mickey mouse enterprises.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Mendelpol: Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign wins

Something tells me @Nigel_Farage isn't confident...
    https://t.co/SewfjaU5oZ
  • Options
    Interesting poll which backs the ICM phone poll. It will be interesting to see if the differential between phone and internet polls carries on till polling day and if so who is right.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,271
    edited May 2016
    edit to remove my mistake.
  • Options
    That ORB poll has a sample of 800, is that usual?
  • Options
    So it could be leave just, remain just or a landslide win for remain....clear as mud.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Yes, that would be a small sample size. Thanks for bringing that up.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

For a phone poll, yes
  • Options

It makes you wonder they let the desperate search for numbers to add to the signatories list, blind them to the fact that a chunk will be involved in mickey mouse enterprises.
    As if having 250 rather than 300 would make any difference...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Norm said:

Tim_B said:

Yes, but finally prompted by the suggestion that PB should buy a racehorse and name it such.

Setting up an account with the name would be much cheaper for all involved, excepting the royalties owed to Alastair Meeks.
    Coincidentally tonight, I have just watched the drama documentary Dream Alliance where Welsh villagers did this very thing. Very good documentary available now on sky

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Alliance
  • Options
    edited May 2016

So it could be leave just, remain just or a landslide win for remain....clear as mud.
    Isn't this fun? :)
  • Options
    @LordAshcroft: In a survey of 48000 @Telegraph readers 78% voted to Leave the EU
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080

So ICM have published a poll which demonstrates that their other poll is bollocks. Only they leave it to us to try and figure out which one is bollocks.

Even the direction of movement isn't consistent.

I'm glad I don't bet!

ICM has become a disaster recently, IMO.

Come back Nick Sparrow.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Local election results do show that that voters are willing to support a party, possibly soft support, but support nonetheless. They also build a base to convert to Westminster support. It is the correct way back for LDs.

All types of voting show varying, degrees of support. Parliamentary, by-elections, PCC's, councils, assemblies, Euros. People pick and mix.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LordAshcroft: In a survey of 48000 @Telegraph readers 78% voted to Leave the EU

I could have told you that without the need or expense of surveying 50k people.
  • Options
    Chortle

@steve_hawkes: Lynton Crosby says Vote Leave should spend less time worrying about TV debates - and more time finding/delivering a clearer/simpler message
  • Options

Interesting poll which backs the ICM phone poll. It will be interesting to see if the differential between phone and internet polls carries on till polling day and if so who is right.
    Weighted by turnout (which ORB headlines) the numbers are 51/45.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Chortle

@steve_hawkes: Lynton Crosby says Vote Leave should spend less time worrying about TV debates - and more time finding/delivering a clearer/simpler message

Agreed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Weighted by turnout (which ORB headlines) the numbers are 51/45.
    And a small (800) sample size apparently.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,559

Fewer than 400 have been sent back since EU-Ankara deal came in to effect

The Financial Times reports that some 8,500 people have arrived on Greek islands since the deal came into force, according to the country's migration co-ordination unit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593240/Fears-migrant-surge-Greece-fewer-400-sent-Turkey-new-deal-Athens-deems-vast-majority-deserving-asylum.html

What a joke. More money thrown at the problem and basically they are doing f##k all. It should be a ferry a day taking illegals back, not a one ferry total.

While I'm sure the causes are various, the number of migrants coming across the Med has dramatically fallen. See:

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.php

At its peak in October 2015, 221,000 migrants crossed the Med to Italy and Greece. Last month (April) it was 12,000. You can argue that's not enough, but it's still down 96% or so.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Remain is going to win of course.

The fun really starts from 24th May when we can sit back and wait for all Cameron and Osborne's lies about how we're in for motherhood and apple pie courtesy of their beloved EU to blow up in their faces...

Won't make any difference to our fate (we'll be trapped forever in the USE) but at least we'll get to see Cameron, Osborne and the Tory Party generally, cast into oblivion.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,955
    Sean_F said:

Radek Sikorski might have helped his cause, had he been less rude about the UK in the past.
    General Radek? Wasn't he the baddy in Air Force One?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

All types of voting show varying, degrees of support. Parliamentary, by-elections, PCC's, councils, assemblies, Euros. People pick and mix.
    I agree, but it does give some indicatoon of possible maximum vote in any particular area, and indicate potential target seats.

UKIP themselves did not seem to know where their own targets were last May.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,955
    justin124 said:

Mike's headline Voting Intention figures for the Phone Poll are wrong. Should be Con 36% Lab 34%.

Or the concise version:

Mike's wrong

:lol:
  • Options
    I have basically no confidence in ORB, as there is absolutely no way that only 5% of the population is undecided. (Although it's slightly more plausible than the 3% they had last time.)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,794
    Damn. Sinead O'connor has been found already.

I really wanted her to be missing for seven hours and fifteen days.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Only 78% with that demographic of elderly League of Empire Loyalists? Reweighting to a UK electorate must give a Remain Landslide.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Remain is going to win of course.

The fun really starts from 24th May when we can sit back and wait for all Cameron and Osborne's lies about how we're in for motherhood and apple pie courtesy of their beloved EU blows up in their faces...

Won't make any difference to our fate (we'll be trapped forever in the USE) but at least we'll get to see Cameron, Osborne and the Tory Party generally, cast into oblivion.

If Remain wins, it's same old, same old. The EU constantly tries to centralise power, we constantly complain ineffectually.
  • Options
    Yeah, but tell me more about that chick on the left.
  • Options
    Cameron's a shallow, lying, treacherous fake. Who knew?????? :open_mouth:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, but it does give some indicatoon of possible maximum vote in any particular area, and indicate potential target seats.

UKIP themselves did not seem to know where their own targets were last May.
    I think we've all been surprised to find out where UKIP's support is strongest.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,903

Sean_F said:

General Radek? Wasn't he the baddy in Air Force One?
    Once leave adopts the fair message of ETA membership and accepts free movement of labour they can make a positive case. Exit from the single market as Gove is seeking will be demolished in his debate on the 3rd June, so they only have just over 14 days to get their message together
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but tell me more about that chick on the left.
    SNP scandal
This discussion has been closed.