Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sentence first, verdict later. Rushing to judgement over BH

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Mr. 86, who's calling for Carney to be sacked?

[I suspect rather more want Osborne out].

As an aside, I did raise the point earlier that it seems peculiar the Bank of England seems more agitated about the UK leaving a political/trading bloc than it did about the UK splitting up.

The Moggster for one. Lamont isn't impressed with the Governor's intervention either. The one silver lining to staying in the EU is that we can throw stones at Osborne and Carney when we hit a big recession in the next 18 months.

Also, note Carney talking about a technical recession. He's a disgrace.
    Why is that disgraceful? I would find it disgraceful if he DID NOT mean a technical recession but used the term anyway.
    There's a massive difference between a technical recession - two consecutive quarters of shrinking GDP - and what Carney wants to implant into the minds of the voters: That there will be a big recession if we leave the EU.

Quite frankly I think it will be a big surprise if there isn't a technical recession in the next few years whatever we do with respect of the EU. Of course, none of the stupid journalists thought to ask Carney what his prognosis was for the economy if we stay in the EU...
    What you are talking about is more a depression than a recession. Though personally one thing I find truly irritating is the incorrect usage of the word recession, frequently with just a slowdown in growth and no real shrinkage. Recession has a technical meaning and that is how it should be used.
    Yes, we're coming at it from different directions. It was irritating how many people kept talking about us being in a recession long after it ended.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    Sanders giving Trump a helpful wishlist if he wants to win over Sanders voters.

"If Donald Trump wants to take my ideas and fight for a single-payer health care program or wants to fight to make sure that the wealthiest people pay their fair share of taxes, wants to make sure that we have paid family and medical leave, raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, if that's what he is supporting, I think that's a good thing and I hope Hillary Clinton does that as well," he said before adding, "But frankly, that's not what Donald Trump will be saying."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/bernie-sanders-andrea-mitchell-223067
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    Carney's previous 'forward guidance' suggests that his projections are as valuable as Russell Grant's Daily Horoscope.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347

It cannot be the headlines leave could have expected from the broadcast media today. Sky yand the BBC reporting on Mark Carney's report and the calls from leave for him to resign and then the ITV spat threatening a broadcaster with litigation and the overthrow of No 10. ITV were not taking any prisoners nor was Nigel Farage in a dreadful report about vote leave and Lord Grade obviously very angry about the allegations from vote leave. Is this the day that vote leave lost it?

Questions to which the Answer is No.</blockquote

We will see but Jacob Rees Mogg demanding the sacking of the Governor has just ramped up the issue and made the Governor's comments more likely to be listened to by many more who may not have taken much notice
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

Polruan said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

Ironic that Cameron is chairing the anti-corruption summit when his own party is riddled with corruption. The Tory way is "we'll throw enough money on the election process until it goes our way".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/electoral-commission-takes-tories-high-7952712

The clock is ticking my Tory friends...

According to Guido the relevant information has already been passed on.

I also think you are slightly overstating it with your "riddled with corruption" description.
    But I love the Tory excuse for this corrupt behaviour - "administrative error".
    I also love innocent until proven guilty.... oh wait.

I find it hard to believe they would deliberately commit fraud, us stories may have an insatiable lust for power, but not at all costs!
    Maybe I am over-egging the story for now and apologies for that. Anyway, if an offence has been committed - who are culpable parties - the sitting MP, the election agent for that constituency or CCHQ?
    Given that it was submitted as a national expense, I find it hard to believe an individual MP could be held culpable.
    That wouldn't work as a defence on the basis that the constituency agent is responsible in law for the spending on the local campaign. They'd have to argue that they didn't know the bussed in activists were there campaigning on behalf of the local candidate, difficult if (for example) the candidate was photographed with and canvassed with the activists.

The fact that it's declared nationally doesn't automatically mean that the law sees it as a national expense - that's a question of substance rather than declared form. The failure to declare at all initially obviously makes it look worse, and the defence of administrative error is easier to sustain if it's not followed by foot-dragging over producing documentation.
    So when a leader visits a constituency and is seen with the candidate, that is a local expense? Seems like it would be prohibitively expensive to have the PM in your patch.

Even if the candidate was photographed with the campaigners, I don't think that automatically converts them to local activists.
    Having the PM in your constituency would be a great PR coup - papers, local news etc. (might even save your political future) - so I think it would be perfectly sensible for the expenses of having him to be counted as local expenses.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

tlg86 said:

As an aside, I did raise the point earlier that it seems peculiar the Bank of England seems more agitated about the UK leaving a political/trading bloc than it did about the UK splitting up.

The Moggster for one. Lamont isn't impressed with the Governor's intervention either. The one silver lining to staying in the EU is that we can throw stones at Osborne and Carney when we hit a big recession in the next 18 months.

Why is that disgraceful? I would find it disgraceful if he DID NOT mean a technical recession but used the term anyway.

It is disgraceful because it is mere speculation and also it is in the midst of a political election when purdah is supposed to apply.
    I have this strange feeling .... ( it's my age you know) .... but I'm inclined to think that had Carney expressed the vaguest of positive BREXIT speculation then LEAVE would demanded he be canonised .... :sunglasses:

• Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    So , Mr Rees-Mogg the next BOE governor should not have a duty to warn as to risk? Have I got that right? He should sit on his hands and stay silent. Mark Carney is a man of unquestioned integrity. His responsibility is to warn of risk. Why do you not say what you really mean? It is this. Your view is immensely inconvenient to my cause. I wish to suppress your expression of your view. Therefore I call for you to be sacked. Grow up.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    chestnut said:

Carney's previous 'forward guidance' suggest that his projections are as valuable as Russell Grant's Daily Horoscope.

I completely forgot about the constantly moving goalposts. I think it is safe to say we will not get an interest rate rise for many many years regardless of what Carney says.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    His unemployment guidance was hilarious.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Carney's previous 'forward guidance' suggests that his projections are as valuable as Russell Grant's Daily Horoscope.

I never saw that comment coming ....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    There are rumors in various organs of the press that Caitlyn Jenner is miserable, and is considering 'de-transitioning' back to being Bruce over the next couple of years.

If true, which bathroom would he/she use in MS or NC?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JackW said:

You are Mark Carney, and I claim my Vapid Bilge
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

tlg86 said:

It is disgraceful because it is mere speculation and also it is in the midst of a political election when purdah is supposed to apply.
    His job description specifically includes providing such speculation as to the risks of the economy so that point is moot.

Purdah is perhaps more valid. Not sure if purdah should apply here though (I thought from memory the purdah period hasn't started yet and furthermore it applies to the government and civil service, not sure it extends to the independent BoE.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    Tim_B said:

There are rumors in various organs of the press that Caitlyn Jenner is miserable, and is considering 'de-transitioning' back to being Bruce over the next couple of years.

The one with the most TV cameras?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Stop taking the piss .... in any cubicle ....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Tim_B said:

LOL!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

You are Mark Carney, and I claim my Vapid Bilge
    You've got enough Vapid Bilge for all of PB and then some .... :smiley:
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    I believe Mark Carney is the man who assisted in creating a huge housing bubble in Canada.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The main problem is that few people really understand the meaning of the word "risk", giving it an entirely negative connotation. Of course Brexit is a "risk" to the British economy - it would represent a fundamental change to the status quo. The point about risk is that is increases the range of possible outcomes - and those outcomes include the potential upsides as well as the potential downsides.

• Options

Tim_B said:

Is the right answer! ;)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I believe Mark Carney is the man who assisted in creating a huge housing bubble in Canada.

LEAVE will clearly be extremely pleased that such an awful fellow is "promoting" REMAIN.
  • Options
    The more I see Donald Trump's son Eric on TV, the more convinced I am by his hair that he is Judge Napolitano's love child.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    RobD said:

Polruan said:

No, I was saying that it would be difficult for the candidate/agent to claim that they didn't know that the activists were there or didn't know what they were doing in that situation, not that being photographed together is sufficient to be treated as local campaigning - obviously there's more to it than that. Broadly if you go door knocking and say you're there on behalf of the candidate, you're on the "local" side of the line; if you say how great the Conservatives are and by the way your candidate is a decent chap, you might be closer to the right side.

Having a script that introduces you on behalf of the candidate would be distinctly unhelpful in establishing a "national" fact pattern.

Leaders etc visiting is seen as "national" because they continue to attract national coverage (and, in the end, they have to spend the campaign somewhere).

Has any evidence of the script been released?
    No idea, I was giving an example of how the relevant law works.

...having googled "channel 4 election conservative script" then yes, it looks like something purporting to be evidence has been released. I have no view on its authenticity or what it would prove if authentic.

I don't know how widespread the use of similar tactics is. I get the impression that the Tories had a lot more money than other parties and a hugely effective marginal-target operation which may mean they behaved in different and "innovative" ways, but it may be that everyone was doing the same as one another.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

This discussion has been closed.