Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A BREXIT indicator? UKIP’s National Equivalent Vote share d

Comments

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Cameron thinks if we leave the EU there will be a war.

Best then if we get in first and choose who to fight.

Traditionally that might be to fight Germany, France or Spain.

But we have never been at war with Portugal - lets invade the Algarve and annex their piri piri chicken.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

...lets invade the Algarve ...

I thought we already had (in an alliance with the Germans)?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Today's ICM EU Ref poll had VI Con 33 Lab 32 UKIP 17 LD 7 Others 11 UKIP support grossly inflated as in most Online polls . Reduce them to 12% and the Leave lead of 2% disappears .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636

What is it about Leavers that makes them turn into Putin fanboys?

Shame on Boris. I hope he didn't find any polyps up there.

Let's face it, if Satan came out for Brexit most of the Leavers would turn against God.
    I do worry if Remains win, some of the passionate Leavers might go all Jonestown
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Indigo said:

runnymede said:

He must be very confident about whatever future he has planned after politics, btw.

EU Commissioner ? Be an appropriate reward if he "docks the UK with the EU".... can't think where that phrase came from ;)

In wonder if, five years from now, he will have outdone his hero Tony Blair in terms of becoming a despised and discredited figure. Quite possibly, I think, depending on the choices he makes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

UKIP made a net gain of 26 seats, didn't they?

Hardly earth shattering but better than losing them, while a repeat of the 2015 vote share implies that 12-13% of the national electorate is locked in to UK independence.

Overall, Leave need something like 70% of the right wing vote (Con/UKIP) plus 30% of the left on an assumption of uniform turnout comparable to 2015.

UKIP also outpolled the Lib Dems in the PCC elections (which took place throughout England and Wales) by 450,000.
    Just as a matter of interest, how many LibDem PCC were standing? I see UKIP were almost everywhere.
    34 UKIP, 30 Lib Dems
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

But we have never been at war with Portugal - lets invade the Algarve and annex their piri piri chicken.

We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the golf courses...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    At PMQs I'd like to ask who he thinks the war will involve. In the 1930s it wouldn't have been too hard to predict.

Perhaps the well known warmongers Malta will nuke us in early July
  • Options

UKIP is clearly withering on the vine. 2014 was its high point, but now it just looks samey and unappealing. I was lambasted on here when I called it out as a fad a few years ago, but it's interesting how many Leavers and euro-phobic Tories are now keen to distant themselves from it when back in the day they were happy to ride on its coattails. I can't see UKIP lasting, though Carswell will probably linger on as a kind of novelty independent.

UKIP came first in the UK's European elections and has the most MEPS of any national group in the EU parliament.
    ..... and the EU parliament is where 70% of UK laws are approved my the MEPs.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016

Let's face it, if Satan came out for Brexit most of the Leavers would turn against God.
    I do worry if Remains win, some of the passionate Leavers might go all Jonestown
    Where as if Leave win, that 50 or so Tory sceptics that decided to back Remain because Dave asked/cajoled/threatened them, will suddenly have a Damascene conversion, or claim they were misunderstood, possibly behaving under duress, the possibilities are endless :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Iraq Inquiry report to be published on 6 July 2016
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. 63, Scotland?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Wanderer said:

So what do people think Leave's chances actually are?

NCP gives it 22.3% (http://www.ncpolitics.uk/euref/)
    Betfair hovers around 30% implied probability
    Not sure about the latest ARSE4EU

Only 16 hours to wait .... :smiley:
  • Options

Today's ICM EU Ref poll had VI Con 33 Lab 32 UKIP 17 LD 7 Others 11 UKIP support grossly inflated as in most Online polls . Reduce them to 12% and the Leave lead of 2% disappears .

LOL. You don't like part of their numbers so you change those, but do you like other bits so you keep them, and yet both bits come from the same sample.
  • Options

Mr. 63, Scotland?

Hadrian did to them what Trump wants to do with Mexico.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,175
    Erdogan is now taking legal action against the head of Axel Springer. He's determined to overplay his hand.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    Scott_P said:

Whitewash shortages to be reported throughout the month of June....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    Scott_P said:

Odds on it being leaked during the referendum campaign?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2016

Sometimes, in fact quite often, you espouse the most infantile rubbish. Oh I know I've had my share, but you are supposed to be better; a Carrier of the Thread no less and shining light when the Master is away.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,327

I'm not so pessimistic. For most Leavers a Remain victory will come as a blessed relief. They can finally rid themselves of this nasty obsession and get on with their lives. I speak as someone who was a rabid euro-phobe for years. I've found that being a convert to Remain is almost therapeutic - you feel relaxed, stable and true to yourself.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732

midwinter said:

Wanderer said:

I've been wondering about this. I certainly expected a stronger showing from UKIP in England and also for Peter Whittle to challenge for third place in London.

How to interpret it though? Is it a straw in the wind for the referendum or is it just that UKIP itself is increasingly hapless and disorganised?

He was out-bonkered by two guys even further to the right, who campaigned almost exclusively on immigration and made him look like a boring centrist. Add the BNP and Britain First guys to UKIP and they hit 5.3% together, putting them above the LibDems and just behind the Greens. But in fairness you have to say that some people who voted UKIP would not have touched them if they'd been in bed with Britain First.
    Some? Read the Ukip sympathisers on here and tell me what they have in common with Britain First please.
    Some ukip voters are obsessed with immigration and race and see ukip as an acceptable/respectable way of expressing their views at the ballot box. These people in many cases would never contemplate voting for an overtly racist party. Mr Palmer makes a fair point.
    You are correct to say ukip leaning supporters on here have little or nothing in common with Britain First. That is irrelevant to the comment made so the faux outrage was unnecessary.
    Oh, faux outrage, is that the same faux outrage when Labour are accused of anti semitism?

I'm sick of people hinting at racism in Ukip
    It would help if their candidates stopped giving everybody the 'wrong' impression.
    "They just had to suspend someone for wanting to shoot an Asian if he became Prime Minister. And a couple of days before that it was for anti-semitic abuse. And before that there was lady who just doesn’t like the faces of negroes. Janice Atkinson - now expelled from the party for financial irregularities - called someone a “ting-tong”"
    See what I mean? Cry racist all you like mate, but get your own house in order first, the cat is out of the bag.
    What are you talking about?
    The quotation is about what UKIP candidates have said.
    I don't have a house that needs getting in order or a cat.
    However for your delight here's another UKIP candidate apologising for guess what? They are very easy to find.
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-05-05/ukip-candidate-apologises-for-sexist-racist-violent-comments-about-female-journalist/
  • Options

At PMQs I'd like to ask who he thinks the war will involve. In the 1930s it wouldn't have been too hard to predict.

Before we do that perhaps he can explain how we can simultaneously be both too poor, too small and too weak to go it alone, but also able to cause the EU economy to implode and start World War Three if we leave, its a paradox ;)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Where as if Leave win, that 50 or so Tory sceptics that decided to back Remain because Dave asked/cajoled/threatened them, will suddenly have a Damascene conversion, or claim they were misunderstood, possibly behaving under duress, the possibilities are endless :D
    I imagine the invertebrate count exceeds 50.
  • Options

I'm not so pessimistic. For most Leavers a Remain victory will come as a blessed relief. They can finally rid themselves of this nasty obsession and get on with their lives. I speak as someone who was a rabid euro-phobe for years. I've found that being a convert to Remain is almost therapeutic - you feel relaxed, stable and true to yourself.
    Yeah you've convinced me, I'm voting Remain, feel better already
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That might provide some good material for Trump to use against the US political establishment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Remove UKIP supporters altogether, and Remain have a big lead.

An inaccurate poll is one that gives you a message you don't want to hear.
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Jeremy Corbyn will tonight tell MPs: "Last week’s elections showed Labour’s recovery has begun in earnest."
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Before we do that perhaps he can explain how we can simultaneously be both too poor, too small and too weak to go it alone, but also able to cause the EU economy to implode and start World War Three if we leave, its a paradox ;)
    Not if you are talking to two entirely different audiences. Which is what they are trying to do.

Another habit picked up from their chums the Lib Dems.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Wanderer said:

I've been wondering about this. I certainly expected a stronger showing from UKIP in England and also for Peter Whittle to challenge for third place in London.

How to interpret it though? Is it a straw in the wind for the referendum or is it just that UKIP itself is increasingly hapless and disorganised?

He was out-bonkered by two guys even further to the right, who campaigned almost exclusively on immigration and made him look like a boring centrist. Add the BNP and Britain First guys to UKIP and they hit 5.3% together, putting them above the LibDems and just behind the Greens. But in fairness you have to say that some people who voted UKIP would not have touched them if they'd been in bed with Britain First.
    Some? Read the Ukip sympathisers on here and tell me what they have in common with Britain First please.
    Some ukip voters are obsessed with immigration and race and see ukip as an acceptable/respectable way of expressing their views at the ballot box. These people in many cases would never contemplate voting for an overtly racist party. Mr Palmer makes a fair point.
    You are correct to say ukip leaning supporters on here have little or nothing in common with Britain First. That is irrelevant to the comment made so the faux outrage was unnecessary.
    Oh, faux outrage, is that the same faux outrage when Labour are accused of anti semitism?

It would help if their candidates stopped giving everybody the 'wrong' impression.
    "They just had to suspend someone for wanting to shoot an Asian if he became Prime Minister. And a couple of days before that it was for anti-semitic abuse. And before that there was lady who just doesn’t like the faces of negroes. Janice Atkinson - now expelled from the party for financial irregularities - called someone a “ting-tong”"
    See what I mean? Cry racist all you like mate, but get your own house in order first, the cat is out of the bag.
    However for your delight here's another UKIP candidate apologising for guess what? They are very easy to find.
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-05-05/ukip-candidate-apologises-for-sexist-racist-violent-comments-about-female-journalist/
    Keep going if it makes you feel better about yourself
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732

midwinter said:

Wanderer said:

Keep going if it makes you feel better about yourself
    If I were you I would stop digging.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

@steve_hawkes: Jeremy Corbyn will tonight tell MPs: "Last week’s elections showed Labour’s recovery has begun in earnest."

Welll that should get a good laugh from the audience...I wonder what other zingers he has got to amuse the crowd with? Did I ever tell you the one about adolf before he went a but mad? ;-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Milton Ernest?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Jez: "don’t think Labour MPs should be parading on the media to give a running commentary on our party". He should tell his old mate Ken.
  • Options
    @logical song

Please explain what I'm digging, I haven't denied any of the allegations.
  • Options

Welll that should get a good laugh from the audience...I wonder what other zingers he has got to amuse the crowd with? Did I ever tell you the one about adolf before he went a but mad? ;-)

@MrHarryCole: Corbyn: "I don’t expect, or even want, blind loyalty"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Jez: "don’t think Labour MPs should be parading on the media to give a running commentary on our party". He should tell his old mate Ken.

I know why he never got a job I'm advertising...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Sean_F said:

An accurate poll is one that deludes you into thinking it is correct .
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    So Iraq Inquiry to be published 6th July. When do the "leaks" start?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

An accurate poll is one that deludes you into thinking it is correct .
    Isn't that the motto for Rasmussen ? .. :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

Curious to understand what Labour voters see to trust in Corbyn's EU position. He has one arse cheek in Remain, one in Leave as he unconvincingly says he will fall on the Remain side of the fence....

I think he speaks for rather a lot of Remainers - they feel the EU has serious flaws, but don't think it's wise to withdraw. Real EU enthusiasts like me are thin on the ground in all parties. As in other areas, Corbyn is being a lot more honest than Cameron, whose enthusiasm for membership is as unconvincing as his previous suggestion that he hadn't quite decided - in reality I think he's lukewarm too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

No you are just deluded.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I've seen a few posters around Sheffield lately, saying 'Sheffield' and 'Quit', in large letters.

When I first saw these posters, from a distance of a few hundred feet, I thought they were from the Leave campaign, but then I got close enough to read the rest of the writing and realised they're actually from an anti-smoking campaign, telling Sheffield to quit smoking not the EU.

The election would have to be on a knife-edge to be swung by this kind of subliminal effect, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced a few people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Indeed. Much better to be commenting on another European party much in evidence between 1920 and 1945.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Don't get excited. It will be the redacted version.
  • Options

Inflamatory and insulting language "nasty obsession". Please be polite. Otherwise some of us will start calling folk like you a cupid stunt.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Milton Ernest?
    Where Bedfordshire villages lead the rest of Britain will undoubtedly follow ...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Chilcot report published after referendum shocker.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Well as forecasted the victor of the dueling speeches on Brexit today was Boris.

It was well evident that Cameron tried to write a new speech from the beginning after the hostility of it's reception last night, and it was a complete and boring mess, setting a low bar which Boris went over.
  • Options

Inflamatory and insulting language "nasty obsession". Please be polite. Otherwise some of us will start calling folk like you a cupid stunt.
    I think he is maybe getting too much "blessed relief" as he types.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Portugal is our oldest ally - since 1373 if memory serves and, I think the only country in Europe that we have never fought against (though some of the newer ones might have been an enemy under old colonial arrangements). It is also a wonderful place and the Portuguese are jolly nice people (home to a branch of the Llama clan) who enjoy many of the same things we traditional Brits do, queuing, afternoon tea, messing about in boats/ships, etc..

It takes a special type of diplomatic skill to ensure that after 600 and odd years we and the Portuguese are on opposite sides of an important argument.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

What "referendum shocker" ? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Scott_P said:

Don't get excited. It will be the redacted version.
    If Chilcot dies of old age before his report is published, what happens to the report ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,429
    I am really disappointed that Chilcot has not become a verb. As in, I was going to start a new business but I Chilcotted it.

It would at least give us something for all the millions spent on ancient history.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Perhaps the Chillout report then.
  • Options
    Mr. L, spending millions on ancient history sounds eminently sensible.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: PM welcomes fact Chilcot published on July 6th "without need for any redactions" after two weeks of natsec checks https://t.co/qDuEQAtfcb
  • Options

Portugal is our oldest ally - since 1373 if memory serves and, I think the only country in Europe that we have never fought against (though some of the newer ones might have been an enemy under old colonial arrangements). It is also a wonderful place and the Portuguese are jolly nice people (home to a branch of the Llama clan) who enjoy many of the same things we traditional Brits do, queuing, afternoon tea, messing about in boats/ships, etc..

It takes a special type of diplomatic skill to ensure that after 600 and odd years we and the Portuguese are on opposite sides of an important argument.
    Oh it's simple, Portugal decided to join Spain in entering the EEC in 1986.
  • Options

Mr. L, spending millions on ancient history sounds eminently sensible.

Only the interesting bits.
  • Options
    The main beneficiary of the Chilcott report will be Chilcott, he's trousered a fortune
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

The main beneficiary of the Chilcott report will be Chilcott, he's trousered a fortune

Not to mention his team of lawyers.
  • Options

I sincerely hope he gets no thanks at all from anyone for his efforts. He is a disgrace and he should be in disgrace for the remainder of his days.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: PM welcomes fact Chilcot published on July 6th "without need for any redactions" after two weeks of natsec checks https://t.co/qDuEQAtfcb

It will have been redacted before the NatSec checks.
  • Options

Excellent! It's a lovely feeling, isn't it? You'll also find it has massive intellectual benefits. For example, unshackled from dogma, you can take a step back and punctiliously analyse the Leave commentary on here - a lot of it really is the most vapid, self-congratulating drivel.
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    Presumably Sir John Chilcot takes a fortnight break after the Referendum. Then he gets down to the task of negotiating a new trade deal with the USA at the behest of the Leavers. 7 years sounds about right for that job too.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Afternoon all :)

I had a read of Cameron's speech today and found it the usual vacuous waffle. There's the usual undercurrent that it's somehow unpatriotic to be opposed to whatever position he's trying to argue - it's a Blairite tactic to wrap yourself in the flag if your argument doesn't cover your embarrassment.

As Turkey and Norway seem quite happy to be part of European defence without being members of the EU while Ireland is happy to be part of the EU without being part of European defence, I don't understand Cameron's argument about the relevance of the EU in terms of security and defence. It's perfectly possible for nations to co-operate and collaborate without having to be in the same economic bloc.

Once again we shouldn't get hung up on campaign rhetoric - what people say before the result and what they'll say after the result are often two entirely different things. It doesn't benefit the EU or the UK to have an adversarial trading relationship so a new arrangement will be quickly formulated.

As to Cameron's persistent line about LEAVE not explaining its position, the same is true of REMAIN. Neither can afford a coherent vision of Britain's relationship with EU in 2020, let alone 2030 or beyond. LEAVE is constructing a series of negotiating positions (or should be) for the talks following the vote. LEAVE should be asking - what do we want and on what will we compromise ?

REMAIN has said nothing about the future either and in truth Cameron's "reforms" are not guaranteed in the event of a change of Government or Conservative leader. When the next "crisis", it's not as though anyone will be convinced by another Conservative Prime Minister, as Major and Cameron, flouncing or refusing to negotiate ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I sincerely hope he gets no thanks at all from anyone for his efforts. He is a disgrace and he should be in disgrace for the remainder of his days.
    The whole thing has gone beyond ridicule, there'll be a flurry of denials and threats of legal action while he counts his money.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Indigo said:

runnymede said:

He must be very confident about whatever future he has planned after politics, btw.

EU Commissioner ? Be an appropriate reward if he "docks the UK with the EU".... can't think where that phrase came from ;)

In wonder if, five years from now, he will have outdone his hero Tony Blair in terms of becoming a despised and discredited figure. ....
    What do you mean in five years from now? OK, I was never taken on the great snake oil salesman and had him marked down as a charlatan long before his election in 1997 but should you be sad enough to look at my posts on here on the run-up to the 2010 GE you will find me a big Cameron supporter. Now I wouldn't piss in his ear if his brain was on fire, that Mr. Nabavi, who I respect immensely, considers Cameron one of the great post-war prime ministers is beyond my comprehension.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Henry Mance ‏@henrymance · 11m11 minutes ago

Word counts:

War and Peace: 560,000
    King James Bible: 780,000
    Harry Potter books: 1.1 million
    Chilcot Report: 2.6 million

h/t @PickardJE

• Options
    Mr. L, there are *lots* of interesting bits.

Classical history is full of heroic chaps, great battles, treachery, woe and doom.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In other news, one of the two indicators in the US presidential race, that I'm using, is pointing towards Trump closing the gap with Hillary.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189299/presidential-election-2016-key-indicators.aspx?g_source=ELECTION_2016&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

Trump has gained 12 points in net favourables among his own party since he was declared the nominee, he is approaching Hillary in levels of party unity.
  • Options

Excellent! It's a lovely feeling, isn't it? You'll also find it has massive intellectual benefits. For example, unshackled from dogma, you can take a step back and punctiliously analyse the Leave commentary on here - a lot of it really is the most vapid, self-congratulating drivel.
    You underestimate yourself, I can only dream of acquiring your level of intellect.
  • Options

Mr Dawning. Is irony dawning on you?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Word counts:

Thank goodness he only had to do the 'war' part.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, there are various editions, but I believe the full versions of both Three Kingdoms and Outlaws of the Marsh are longer than all the Harry Potter books.

Sadly, not well-known enough for such a list, though.
  • Options
    I wonder if The Decline and the Fall of the Roman Empire is longer than the Chilcott report. Hmm.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Mortimer said:

Haven't you heard the great conspiracy theory? Apparently if Chilcot drags Blair and Mandelson's names through the mud it will do immeasurable damage to Remain, so Chilcot has been leant on by Cameron and Brussels.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903

I wonder if The Decline and the Fall of the Roman Empire is longer than the Chilcott report. Hmm.

Maybe History will conclude both were written by a Gibbon.

• Options
    JackW said:
    Straight for the bin.
  • Options

Word counts:

h/t @PickardJE

The Chilcot report will have something for everyone - and thus no one.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I see Jack Straw is all over the media this pm. Is he on some kind of charm offensive pre-Chilcot? Saw Paddy Ashdown earlier putting the boot into Boris. They just never go away these "senior" politicians do they? They just hang around like a bad smell. Why do they think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say?
  • Options

Word counts:

h/t @PickardJE

The Chilcot report will have something for everyone - and thus no one.
    Some poor sods are going to be tasked with speed reading that...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The only conclusion one can draw from Cameron's risky, premature, overcooked and oddly faltering statement today is that private polling has caused an outbreak of political dysentery at Number 10.

They're scared.

Now you are up to something.

I had the same feeling when Ted Cruz first rushed an alliance with Kasich, then named Fiorina as his VP, and then rushed Governor Pence for his endorsement.
    His Indiana internal polls would have been horrendous, and indeed they were.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    When someone points to a conspiracy theory in an attempt to rubbish it, one is meant to suggest an entirely unlikely scenario...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,468

I see Jack Straw is all over the media this pm. Is he on some kind of charm offensive pre-Chilcot? Saw Paddy Ashdown earlier putting the boot into Boris. They just never go away these "senior" politicians do they? They just hang around like a bad smell. Why do they think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say?

We might be very interested in what Straw has to say when Chilcot comes out.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's an absolute disgrace that the Chilcot report is so long. The idea is to form judgements, not to provide compendia of views. Just because we have the word processing power doesn't mean that we should use it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

The only conclusion one can draw from Cameron's risky, premature, overcooked and oddly faltering statement today is that private polling has caused an outbreak of political dysentery at Number 10.

They're scared.

More than scared. Throwing insults at Gove today really is the last straw.

I suspect DC knows the game is up. Polling might either showing 60+% of the Tory party vote will break for Leave or the actual referendum is leaning Leave.

If the former, he has destroyed his party, if the latter, he has entirely ballsed up the renegotiation strategy.
  • Options

JackW said:

Mortimer said:

Haven't you heard the great conspiracy theory? Apparently if Chilcot drags Blair and Mandelson's names through the mud it will do immeasurable damage to Remain, so Chilcot has been leant on by Cameron and Brussels.
    Anything is more possible than Chilcot actually needing so much time to write his report.
  • Options
    JackW said:
    Is that sample 362 million?
  • Options

It's an absolute disgrace that the Chilcot report is so long. The idea is to form judgements, not to provide compendia of views. Just because we have the word processing power doesn't mean that we should use it.

Agree entirely.
  • Options

JackW said:

Mortimer said:

Apologies but I haven't had my briefing from Finchley Road on the issue.
  • Options

Paddy Ashdown.. which one was he again ? and is that Hatty I see the other side of Dave joining the leftie jamboree ?
  • Options

Mr. L, there are *lots* of interesting bits.

Classical history is full of heroic chaps, great battles, treachery, woe and doom.

So is modern history, Mr. D., just that we tend not to go in for blinding political opponents. All the rest is there: Heroic chaps and great battles I can give you bucket loads just from WWII, likewise treachery, woe and doom. People are people, the human instincts and behaviours 2,000 year ago are not very different from those we see now, only the context has changed.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016

JackW said:

Mortimer said:

The report is ready and complete. Chilcott and Cameron have agreed on a date after the referendum. The question then follows is why?
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, perhaps. I can see why people like tanks, although elephants must surely be more exciting.

Incidentally, was idly browsing and saw this recently (History of War in 100 Battles): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007452500/

Quite a nice selection, going by the contents. Mix of ancient and modern. Only a few pages each. Nice to see Leuctra in there (the battle where the Thebans under Epaminondas first used the oblique order to smash the Spartans).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It will have been redacted before the NatSec checks.
    IF the story is true. It must have had a neutron star's worth of whitewash hosed over it.
  • Options

JackW said:

Mortimer said:

The report is ready and complete. Chilcott and Cameron have agreed on a date after the referendum. The question then follows is why?
    Because it's guaranteed to dominate the media for a while and will distract from the campaign. There's no need to look for conspiracies.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    Referendum first then Chilcott...time to digest both at leisure..and who really gives a sh$t
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

runnymede said:

Indigo said:

runnymede said:

In wonder if, five years from now, he will have outdone his hero Tony Blair in terms of becoming a despised and discredited figure. ....
    What do you mean in five years from now? OK, I was never taken on the great snake oil salesman and had him marked down as a charlatan long before his election in 1997 but should you be sad enough to look at my posts on here on the run-up to the 2010 GE you will find me a big Cameron supporter. Now I wouldn't piss in his ear if his brain was on fire, that Mr. Nabavi, who I respect immensely, considers Cameron one of the great post-war prime ministers is beyond my comprehension.
    LOL

you're in full flow Mr Llama

I must admit I have been amazed at just how low Cameron will sink to win this vote. The daft thing is of course he won't lance the boil, becasue he hasn't had a truthful debate. He has simply stoked the fires of people believing they have been short changed.
This discussion has been closed.