Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Can't see Khan losing.

However, if he did, what does that do for Corbyn's political life expectancy?

Makes no difference. Labour Party members are losing what little faith they ever had in representative democracy.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2016
    I wonder what happens if zac just loses out & all those votes like the head rabbi wasn't able to vote.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Sun political hack

London Mayoral race "too close to call" sources say.

Wow if Zac does it.

He wont but it will be reasonably close. The pollsters will have to come up with another system for looking at londoners based on differential turnout.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Mid and West Wales..AMs elected

Joyce Watson and Eluned Morgan for Labour

Simon Thomas for Plaid Cymru

Neil Hamilton for UKIP
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Sun political hack

Wow if Zac does it.

We wouldn't have to see Katie Hopkins arse, come on Zac
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532

I wonder what happens if zac just loses out & all those votes like the head rabbi wasn't able to vote.

Bush v Gore all over again.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@sunny_hundal: Votes for London Mayor are being counted and this being page updated. So far, Zac Goldsmith slightly ahead https://t.co/5myGP0UrQN

Thanks for the link.

A bit further than so far, and Zac Goldsmith not slightly ahead.
    "Cannibis safer than alcohol"party is ahead of the BNP.
    Makes you proud to be British.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Things could get legal ... another election in September ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Years of litigation, during which Boris has to remain in place....

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,921
    edited May 2016

Sun political hack

Too close to call, yet one candidate is 1/18 and the other 15/1. :confused:
  • Options
    These results look like corbyn just not crap enough to get rid & just wait until.next year...rinse & repeat...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,271

Sun political hack

Wow if Zac does it.

We wouldn't have to see Katie Hopkins arse, come on Zac
    Ah come on it'll be fun.

Is the sausage being clenched or inserted? And what kind of sausage? CHipolata? Bratwurst? Come on Katie you talk endless shite so tell us this WE NEED TO KNOW!!!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

I dont believe its too close to call at all.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Can't see Khan losing.

Significant damage I'd say. It's the difference between Corbyn performing broadly as you would expect Labour to (bit better in England, bit worse in Wales, as expected in Scotland/safe by-elections) and him showing some negative drag. It would tip me toward thinking the leadership question should be reopened.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

Yesterday NOM in Scotland was 8/1 and last year after the exit poll came out the a Tory maj was 10/1.

That said I fully expect Khan to be Mayor of London
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Hope Zac has a crushing defeat. Which is a shame 'cos I don't think he reaaly believes in the campaign that was taken control by ToryHQ.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    @Polruan - of course, you are right. You have to make a judgement on whether the country will vote for a party led by a member of the hard left who has spent 30 years cosying up to anti-Semites and other low-life because, like him, they also hate America, or not. My judgment is that the country will decisively reject such a party and there is nothing in the results we have seen so far to make me reconsider. Alternatively, you could come to the conclusion that the country will put all that to one side, or not think it is important, and vote for a left-wing economic agenda. Again, I guess that outside of the results in Scotland, Wales and Middle England you could look at things and conclude that is still a possibility. My guess, though, is that actually a third scenario is the likeliest: most Labour members do not actually believe that a Labour government is the priority; instead, their focus is on defeating "Blairites". But it is only a judgement. I have no empirical evidence to back that up.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

You mean - Goldsmith is a shoo-in?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

Collecting on Zach then :) ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@sunny_hundal: Votes for London Mayor are being counted and this being page updated. So far, Zac Goldsmith slightly ahead https://t.co/5myGP0UrQN

Thanks for the link.

And George Galloway has a tiny, tiny....vote.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2016
    Labour currently ahead in Barnet and Camden.....but Zac ahead for mayor.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,921

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

Yesterday NOM in Scotland was 8/1 and last year after the exit poll came out the a Tory maj was 10/1.

Both very true. I admit to piling on the 1/8 NOM last year on Election Day morning, before rapidly (and drunkenly) having to unwind it after the Nuneaton result.

Who here got on the NOM in Scotland?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

Scott_P said:

Thanks for the link.

It's not very scientific, Khan ahead by 1cm
  • Options
    Le

Less hanging chads & more.hanging chais.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

Collecting on Zach then :) ?
    I will be buying a new ipad if that happens - but sadly I think he will fall short.

• Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,998
    I'm wondering if the SNP is better off in the long term despite losing their majority. The Cons have done well but surely have a maximum ceiling of 40 seats due to their weakness in Glasgow, Dundee, Fife and Lanarkshire. Labour look miles away from recovering. Also the LDs who are the only realistic coalition for Con and Lab have not recovered.

We may start to see Scotland settle down now with the SNP in permanent power, either as majority, minority or coalition due to the fact that SLAB and SCON won't work together in a similar way to Wales where Labour are in permanent power as Plaid won't work with the Cons (and presumably UKIP)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

At 9:21, what is too close to call is whether Khan wins on the first round. He seems to be falling just short of that.

https://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-results/live-count-progress-2016?contest=23
  • Options
    Peter Whittle looks like 5th :/ Despite being 3rd almost every poll !
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Khan looks like he'll win, but it's interesting that he appears to be under-performing compared to the labour assembly members.

Not great for his longer term prospects.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: The Scottish Tory comeback - special @spectator podcast: https://t.co/aakMdTtFcP

Tory comeback is right. I keep having to remind people that their suggestion Scotland=Labour is nonsense. Not that long ago that there were a lot of Tory MPs north of the border...
    To be fair there were a lot of Conservative and Unionist MPs - the "Tories" were forever English - and SLAB dug their own grave when the SNP trumped their "Not the Tories" schtick with "and not English either".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    The Barnet result should be challenged in the Courts. The Council have failed to learn from management training courses, failed to deliver electoral lists to the right places at the right time. Too many excuses from them and EC for poor administration.

Not good enough to have the lessons will be learned excuses trotted out once again..
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I didn't know Neil Hamilton was born in Wales and speaks Welsh.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Given the Holborn & St Pancras result last year I'd be surprised if Camden did not stay Labour; though there will probably be a swing to the Tories in Hampstead.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Labour have done much better than forecast in Wales. Will they get a majority out of the last 4 seats?

Like the SNP they have gained from a very divided opposition.
  • Options
    James Vincent @BBCJamesVincent

PCC turnout in #Barnsley 26.6%
    #Rotherham 32%
    #Doncaster 20.14%
    Waiting on #Sheffield and total turnout
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: The Scottish Tory comeback - special @spectator podcast: https://t.co/aakMdTtFcP

Tory comeback is right. I keep having to remind people that their suggestion Scotland=Labour is nonsense. Not that long ago that there were a lot of Tory MPs north of the border...
    To be fair there were a lot of Conservative and Unionist MPs - the "Tories" were forever English - and SLAB dug their own grave when the SNP trumped their "Not the Tories" schtick with "and not English either".
    I wouldn't read too much into the Scottish vote. I rather suspect that it is a Pro Union vote than a pro Tory one - tactically enhanced due to the possibility of Brexit.

Scotland just decided that the Union is more important than the EU - in that it won't countenance another Indy ref on the back of the EU ref, whatever the result.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    No. Their current tally will be the final one. 29 out of 60.
    DavidL said:

Labour have done much better than forecast in Wales. Will they get a majority out of the last 4 seats?

• Options

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

A Tory staffer was trying to eprsuade me to Back Zac at 12/1 yesterday with bet 365. He had put £200 on him.
  • Options
    Update in London at 9.35. Doesn't look that close.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Pulpstar said:

Yes. I'm surprised, but London isn't Kipper Central.
  • Options

nunu said:

Given the Holborn & St Pancras result last year I'd be surprised if Camden did not stay Labour; though there will probably be a swing to the Tories in Hampstead.

Stupid me. I had forgotten it was one constituency. Given Nick tells us that Corbyn is a net positive for Labour in London it is inconceivable Labour will not hold that seat easily - should increase the majority :-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Labour have become crazily efficient in Wales right now way more so than SNP Scotland.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sandpit said:

I did.

And Tories most seats without SNP.

And I bought Tory seats on SPIN at 21
  • Options
    Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

So the ship will be RSS Sir David Attenborough and the sub will be Boaty McBoatface.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

Both very true. I admit to piling on the 1/8 NOM last year on Election Day morning, before rapidly (and drunkenly) having to unwind it after the Nuneaton result.

I did, and Con as second place too.

AntiFrank is a pretty good tipster.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Still quite impressive. The Tories have taken more of a hit than Labour in Wales.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Pulpstar said:

In fact London is the worst place for UKIP in the country
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Pulpstar said:

Good turnout in Bexley is the one straw I have if I am reading the runes right
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited May 2016
    As far as the Tories are concerned story so far seems to be sensible and down to earth Ruth Davidson doing well while the Posh Boys under perform across the rest of the country?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

So the ship will be RSS Sir David Attenborough and the sub will be Boaty McBoatface.

That's a silly name for a sub.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

I got on it at 7/1 back in December (when Alastair first tipped it). I looked at it yesterday and thought it was money pissed away so very pleasantly surprised.
  • Options

Looks like we're shaping up for a "Super Thursday" that everyone can claim some comfort from.

As a Tory voter, bit early to say with barely half of English council results in and what looks like a bit of a disappointment in Wales, but I'm really pleased for Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Tories, that's a stunning result for them, making "proper" gains of actual constituency seats and Ruth Davidson herself pulling off what must be a wholly unexpected personal triumph in Edinburgh Central. I am sure she will be a very effective Official Opposition leader in Scotland and endear herself further.

Is she the New Boris - a leading Tory who outperforms the party and has personal charisma and appeal? With Boris's star on the wane after his Euro mess-ups, and with nobody else in the Cabinet having anything remotely close to the voter appeal of Cameron, I can't help feeling she is the obvious, yet of course totally inconceivable, replacement for Dave.

The idea of the Tories having a second female leader - and gay too - before Labour has even had its first is just too delicious. Labour would look even more the party of backwoodsmen...
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

I did, and Con as second place too.

AntiFrank is a pretty good tipster.
    I was on that 8/1 as well - nice to have some decent tips after a long famine period on here.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    TGOHF said:

Runs the risk of backlash for looking a sore loser, however fairly, and getting punished if he does that?

But I don't think it will arise - at this stage, I don't believe any reports of it being close. I go with my gut!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As far as the Tories are concerned story so far seems to be sensible and down to earth Ruth Davidson doing well while the Posh Boys under perform across the rest of the country?

Good summary.

Need a bit of grit and gravitas.
  • Options
    @SonnyinScotland: Patrick Harvie might be deputy first minister in this parliament ! #ScottishElection2016

!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Is there a good site to get live London results?
  • Options
    @George_Osborne: Clear that whoever leads Labour, they cannot govern the UK in the future without being propped up by @theSNP
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

You're not one of those Hanging Chads, are you?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    Pong said:

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

That's a silly name for a sub.
    Subs are usually classed as boats.
  • Options

https://t.co/5myGP0UrQN
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

http://tinyurl.com/j5qpvns
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just realised that Edinburgh central was Marco Biagi's seat and he was stepping down so no first time incumbency boost for the SNP there.

The notion that Ruth could win anywhere in Scotland is a joke. Do people really think she would win in Glasgow East?
  • Options

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

Don't see why it cannot have an official name and yet everyone calls it Boaty McBoatface anyway - never stopped people called 30 St Mary Axe or whatever it is The Gherkin.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Still quite impressive. The Tories have taken more of a hit than Labour in Wales.
    Even if the hits are indeed bad, in all honesty they don't look that bad to the layman I suspect, for England and Wales.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Corbyn did "as expected" in Scotland??? You were beaten into THIRD for the first time in the history of Holyrood, and you recorded your worst voting performance, north of the border, since 1910.

Since the introduction of Universal Suffrage...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Polruan said:

Can't see Khan losing.

Significant damage I'd say. It's the difference between Corbyn performing broadly as you would expect Labour to (bit better in England, bit worse in Wales, as expected in Scotland/safe by-elections) and him showing some negative drag. It would tip me toward thinking the leadership question should be reopened.
    Corbyn did "as expected" in Scotland??? You were beaten into THIRD for the first time in the history of Holyrood, and you recorded your worst voting performance, north of the border, since 1910.

What WOULD you call "unexpectedly" bad? Every single Labour candidate committing ritual seppuku beneath Stirling Castle?

Corbyn specifically stated when elected leader that he was going to prioritise a Labour fightback in Scotland.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-message-kezia-dugdale-6429817

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    timmo said:

Wanderer said:

Pulpstar said:

In fact London is the worst place for UKIP in the country
    However, looks like they will be represented with London councillors.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

Why? OK I can see why Boaty McBoatface is not a good name for the ship but it looks like the minister has just gone for the bloke off the telly. Attenborough is not a polar researcher. The minister's populism is surely no more admirable than the viral joke it overrides.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Labour have become crazily efficient in Wales right now way more so than SNP Scotland.
    To be just short of a majority with 35% of the vote in an even partly proportional system is remarkable.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Peterborough all out elections 60 seats increase of 3
    Con 31 up 4
    Lab 14 up 2
    LD 7 up 3
    Ind 3 down 4
    Liberal 3 N/C
    UKIP 2 minus 2

Con gain control
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Just realised that Edinburgh central was Marco Biagi's seat and he was stepping down so no first time incumbency boost for the SNP there.

The notion that Ruth could win anywhere in Scotland is a joke. Do people really think she would win in Glasgow East?

I think it would be a gross insult to Ruth to suggest that she would ever have the attributes required to win in the East of Glasgow.
  • Options
    It's also worth remembering that the benchmark in England for the Tories here are the post-omnishambles results. Labour may be unelectable, but the Tories are not popular. They are very lucky to be up against such a desperately poor alternative.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    I am so enjoying the results in Scotland..I might reconsider moving there
  • Options

SeanT said:

Polruan said:

Can't see Khan losing.

What WOULD you call "unexpectedly" bad? Every single Labour candidate committing ritual seppuku beneath Stirling Castle?

Corbyn specifically stated when elected leader that he was going to prioritise a Labour fightback in Scotland.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-message-kezia-dugdale-6429817

It says he wanted to shake up the establishment in scotland. Job done. (In fairness I doubt last night had much to do with him, even if he could not prevent it)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Anyone seen malcolmg?

Is he still out canvassing for the SNP in Ayrshire?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Looks like Labour ahead in 11 out of 14 GLA counts.
  • Options
    England winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been ruled out of this summer's European Championship after suffering his second knee injury of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36225624
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,271
    Labour's apocalypse in Scotland was expected though. And its not as a result of Corbyn or anything from the last year its from losing the party of Scotland tag to the SNP. ANd until their bubble bursts we stand no chance at all.

What is encouraging is that Nicola has lost her majority. So perhaps the SNP have hit apogee, in which case we can start to rebuild in future elections.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

I didn't know Neil Hamilton was born in Wales and speaks Welsh.

So he can join in singing of My hen laid an egg, I had it for tea at the next Wales England game in Cardiff.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Where can you see that?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

That doesn't sound too close to call.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I've no idea. But many people said she would not win in Edinburgh Central and some were outright mocking at the idea, and were wrong. In the immediate aftermath people will naturally therefore perhaps oversell the unexpected victor. But a grace period for that seems reasonable given the contemptuous dismissal of some of the possibility which has now occurred.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    TGOHF said:

The Crick investigations into Tory overspending at GE2015 might temper CCHQ's enthusiasm for legal redress and rerun elections.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Again its far too early to call..only around 5% verified
  • Options
    Shadsy has settled.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

I think it would be a gross insult to Ruth to suggest that she would ever have the attributes required to win in the East of Glasgow.
    You sure?

http://tinyurl.com/zx44apw
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Too close to call could mean many things - it seems to be used very early in counts, where literally any current figures are too close to call simply because there's no way to be sure it's representative.
  • Options
    @EwanDow: So how long till those that banged on about IndyRef 2 being held quickly realise they planted the seeds of the Tory surge?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    SeanT said:

Polruan said:

Can't see Khan losing.

I'd say this was pretty much what looked likely in the aftermath of GE15. Corbyn hasn't made it any better but I don't see the Labour party being awash with good ideas about how to solve the problem which you identified pretty accurately

There's a difference between meeting actual expectations and being good enough, obviously.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The most remarkable thing about the results so far is that no-one seems to be flabbergasted that the Scottish Tories easily beat Labour.
  • Options

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

Why? OK I can see why Boaty McBoatface is not a good name for the ship but it looks like the minister has just gone for the bloke off the telly. Attenborough is not a polar researcher. The minister's populism is surely no more admirable than the viral joke it overrides.

I quite agree about Attenborough, totally inappropriate.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Sandpit said:

Sun political hack

A Tory staffer was trying to eprsuade me to Back Zac at 12/1 yesterday with bet 365. He had put £200 on him.
    Please ask him not to come anywhere near PB.com ...... we already have enough idiot duff tipsters here.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

She's tried Glasgow North East twice for Westminster and Glasgow Kelvin at Holyrood.

She got 5.2, 5.3 and 7.8 respectively.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Carl Dinnen @carldinnen

Don't see why it cannot have an official name and yet everyone calls it Boaty McBoatface anyway - never stopped people called 30 St Mary Axe or whatever it is The Gherkin.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Even if the hits are indeed bad, in all honesty they don't look that bad to the layman I suspect, for England and Wales.
    Very clever. By calling the sub Boaty McBoatface, it prevents that being used as a nickname for the research ship, and keeps the humourists happy. Someone has done some thinking.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

The most remarkable thing about the results so far is that no-one seems to be flabbergasted that the Scottish Tories easily beat Labour.

Apparently “Labour's apocalypse in Scotland was expected” though I don’t recall such claims.
  • Options

Labour's apocalypse in Scotland was expected though. And its not as a result of Corbyn or anything from the last year its from losing the party of Scotland tag to the SNP. ANd until their bubble bursts we stand no chance at all.

What is encouraging is that Nicola has lost her majority. So perhaps the SNP have hit apogee, in which case we can start to rebuild in future elections.

The SNP got their majority due to crazy good vote efficiency and no vote splitting on the list. The SNPs constituency vote actually increased this time but the split vote on the list killed them.
  • Options
    Tell a lie, I've just noticed the second bar in each borough.

Goldsmith ahead in Barnet and Camden, Bromley and Bexley, Redbridge and Havering and West Central.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

She's tried Glasgow North East twice for Westminster and Glasgow Kelvin at Holyrood.

She got 5.2, 5.3 and 7.8 respectively.
    Indeed - she'd have to be ordained as a bishop, promise to ban the monarchy, give a contract to Brian Dempsey and buy season ticket to Celtic to have a chance.
  • Options

I will admit my gast is well and truly flabbered. Beyond my wildest dreams.
This discussion has been closed.