Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Before the results star coming in, I'm going got wallow in nostalgia - and watch "I Believe in Miracles"....

C'mon you Forest!!!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Lisa Nandy. 20%? I don't get it. What has she done to be a contender? You can sort of, maybe, just about, see a case for Starmer or Jarvis. But even then, that's a stretch.

You need a candidate, who has demonstrated in opposition that they can make an impact and ideally land a blow.

Quite. If we're going to return to "moderates" then I'd rather have Harman, Johnson or Benn. I might not agree with everything they've done, but atleast I know roughly what I'd get from them in policy terms, and they've proven themselves to atleast be semi-competent in terms of media performance and general political skills.

I'm sick of the Nandys, Kendalls, Umunnas, Reeveses and Jarvises being put forward before they've done, or even said, anything relevant or interesting. Or shown they have any basic political skills or any sort of proven appeal to the general public, to compensate for the less-than-ideal policy stances.
    Has Burnham a chance again after his work on getting the enquiry for Hillsborough ?
    I doubt it - and I say that as someone who voted for him last year.
    Yes same here , I voted for Burnham, in 2015 and 10.
    Not a member of the party but got a vote through Union affilation.

I did not use my vote today , in the PCC elections as I do not agree with the concept of politicians running the police.
    Politicians don't run the police on a day to day basis. The PCC is the means by which the police are accountable to the people.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    I love the BBC live blog on polling day. They have to fill up a day of live updates with virtually nothing other than 'Here's a picture of a politician smiling outside a polling station' followed 15 minutes later by 'Here's another one from a different party' and 'By the way there are elections happening, but that's all we can say'
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Yorkcity said:

Keir Stamer is the man to lead Labour to success.
    The public would like his persona and background.

The architect of the Human Rights act? I don't think so.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    RobD said:

Can't figure out if @Dixie is trolling us or not, especially after the pint/bollywood discussions! That, or they are a very good sport :D

Promise not a spoof. I do have the picture. How do I upload?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

John McDonnell is a far superior performer to Jeremy Corbyn.

I have up until today been a staunch Conservative voter, however since voting Conservative for the last time in the 2015 General Election I have slowly but surely moved toward the Labour party. I voted Labour in the local elections and Labour as my first choice for PPC, I chose the Lib Dems for my second vote.

The Conservatives under Cameron and Osborne are not One Nation Conservatives but rather Thatcherites of the most extreme order. The punitive cost of their administration on the poor and vulnerable has forced me to cross the Rubicon from Tory voter to Labour supporter despite the Corbyn takeover. I don’t like Corbyn’s defence policy or his immigration free for all. However, I thought voting Labour sends a better signal to the two chumps in Downing street than spoiling my ballot.

So, I took the bull by the horns today and thought in my own way to mount a solitary signal to Cameron and Osborne, which is F**k You! You have failed and are useless pair who need to be removed asap.

I did think about saving my protest until the European referendum, however I see no advantage in exit so I thought I would get my little protest in first and vote to remain in the EU later.

Democracy is a beautiful thing!

LOL - of course mate, of course.
  • Options
    But I do feed you more Labour info I get than Tory because I would give the game away who I am plus I don't want Labour learning.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Dixie said:

RobD said:

Can't figure out if @Dixie is trolling us or not, especially after the pint/bollywood discussions! That, or they are a very good sport :D

Heh.. you can use an image hosting site such as imgur.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Cicero said:

Glos police investigating alleged electoral fraud. By election in Cheltenham? I'm hearing Lib Dems set to do well there tonight, so could be very interesting if anything did come out of the investigation. That government majority might yet evaporate before 2020...

According to Guido, it is up for the individual forces to apply for an extension to the time allowed for investigation. The number of forces which apply for this will give us a sense of how realistic this prospect is. I think it is quite unlikely.
    Crick's accusation is basically that the battle buses were hanging around in the same place too long for them to be considered part of the national campaign. Unless there's a clear definition already of what is 'too long' then I can't see charges. More likely that the electoral commission clarify what is and isn't allowed in advance of the next election.
  • Options

I love the BBC live blog on polling day. They have to fill up a day of live updates with virtually nothing other than 'Here's a picture of a politician smiling outside a polling station' followed 15 minutes later by 'Here's another one from a different party' and 'By the way there are elections happening, but that's all we can say'

"The BBC can neither confirm nor deny that an election is taking place across the country"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dixie said:

Doughnut turning out. Inner isn't.

Just wondering if you will still be posting this time tomorrow ;-)
  • Options

I have up until today been a staunch Conservative voter, however since voting Conservative for the last time in the 2015 General Election I have slowly but surely moved toward the Labour party. I voted Labour in the local elections and Labour as my first choice for PPC, I chose the Lib Dems for my second vote.

The Conservatives under Cameron and Osborne are not One Nation Conservatives but rather Thatcherites of the most extreme order. The punitive cost of their administration on the poor and vulnerable has forced me to cross the Rubicon from Tory voter to Labour supporter despite the Corbyn takeover. I don’t like Corbyn’s defence policy or his immigration free for all. However, I thought voting Labour sends a better signal to the two chumps in Downing street than spoiling my ballot.

So, I took the bull by the horns today and thought in my own way to mount a solitary signal to Cameron and Osborne, which is F**k You! You have failed and are useless pair who need to be removed asap.

I did think about saving my protest until the European referendum, however I see no advantage in exit so I thought I would get my little protest in first and vote to remain in the EU later.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find somebody on here who believes you. Eventually.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dixie said:

RobD said:

Then drag it across? Or, upload on youtube then link. Ok
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

LD in the PCC for me.

No second choice.

Kipper? Not a chance

Conservative? No way.

Labour? A Lord of Corbyns party. Back of the queue.

• Options
    I do have 2 names on this site. This is my alter ego. Other one is me.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    My area is not having council elections, so I went and cast a ballot in the PCC election at 5pm.

At that point, 58 people had voted out of around 1,020 eligible.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

RobD said:

Dixie said:

RobD said:

Titter.... probably shouldn't laugh at computer illiteracy. I'm about 64% convinced you are trolling us.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Evening all :)

I exercised my prerogative earlier - and then went over to the Church Hall to vote with Mrs Stodge. I'd say a steady trickle at 8.15 - about what I'd expect for a local election round here.

Medium sized political drama in the last few minutes as we've been treated to the sight and sound of a Labour loudspeaker - a Labour loudspeaker - scuttling round the streets trying to get the vote out.

Sorry, I went a bit Kinnock there for a moment.

Perhaps our resident Conservative cheerleader, Dixie, may be on to something or just on something as anyone who spends their Bank Holiday following Zac Goldsmith around south west London must be a few postal votes short of an election complaint (little bit of politics, my name's Stodge, good night !)

Sorry, I went a bit Ben Elton there for a moment.

Remember the Golden Rule of PoliticalBetting.com:

Anyone who posts between 10pm and 6am is SAD
    Anyone who posts between 6am and 2pm is MAD
    Anyone who posts between 2pm and 10pm is BAD

Predictions - some gains, some losses all round. As is usually the case, there'll be something for everyone. No one will do as well as they hope or as badly as their opponents hope.

The Sun will rise in the east tomorrow and it will be a lovely day - unfortunately, I have to be at work and hoping South West Trains have resolved their "little local difficulty" in the Vauxhall area.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

My area is not having council elections, so I went and cast a ballot in the PCC election at 5pm.

Think of it this way, you are part of an electorate more exclusive than the College of Cardinals. ;)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dixie said:

My money's on you being Thescreamingeagles.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dixie said:

RobD said:

Dixie said:

RobD said:

Titter.... probably shouldn't laugh at computer illiteracy. I'm about 64% convinced you are trolling us.
    I'm not. Just ignorant
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

Just back from voting in the locals / spoiling in the PCC. Looks like turnout in central Leeds is piss poor.

People more interested in visiting the pub than the polling station.

Seriously, do you think South Yorkshire Police were being in any way adequately supervised by the previous arrangements over the last 30 years?

Police have real power in our society and need to be democratically accountable. I am not saying PCCs are the answer, they have very little mandate on such derisory turnouts, but surely even they are better than what we had before.?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    Freggles said:

PCC turnout overall will be up though because most areas have Mayoral, council or devolved parliament elections as well
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

Isn't @TSE at Anfield right now?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

It can't be- not enough mentions of AV.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Eu Commissioners stop Boaty McBoatface

It is now Das Boot von Bootface by order of the EU high command?

Eu Commissioners stop Boaty McBoatface

It is now Das Boot von Bootface by order of the EU high command?
    :smiley:
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2016

Just back from voting in the locals / spoiling in the PCC. Looks like turnout in central Leeds is piss poor.

I voted, PCC-only area. There was more activity in my local graveyard.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @alexmassie: Hearing reports that all reports being heard are bollocks.
  • Options

Turnout always seems especially low in Leeds Central, it was only 19% in the 1999 by-election, won by Hilary Benn
  • Options
    Freggles said:

They were debating Tess on In our Time this morning on R4. Clearly it should have been Far from the Madding Crowd.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016
    Freggles said:

Just had a bizarre conversation with the people manning the polling station. I said how's turnout been? They said "quite good". I said "more than 50%?" They said "about 10%, the same as last time". Not sure how that counts as "quite good".
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Floater said:

I kid you not Floater and Tyson, I did vote Labour for the first time today. I have found that my income has been frozen by the Tory government until 2019 and the much vaunted reduction in social rents that Cameron keeps boasting about means I have to pay the 1 % change as my social landlord increased the amount I am liable for so stuff Cameron is my view! People might say I am a nutter for doing this because ideologically I am a Tory but I wanted to get my protest in now as I don't think Cameron is going to be around long.
  • Options
    If Ed grows his beard again and launches a new leadership from a hipsterish, ironic nostalgia viewpoint he could be onto a winner... Tough enuss? Hell yes I'm tough enuss.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Would explain the computer illiteracy............... zing!

*awaits ban*
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
    Labour source fears "up to 10 losses" in Sheffield.

Sheffield is difficult to gauge because new wards are coming into force today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electoral_wards_in_South_Yorkshire
    Is there a map of the changes ?

Apart from a few wards changing from being called X to being called X and Y it doesn't look like any real change.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Freggles said:

Just had a bizarre conversation with the people manning the polling station. I said how's turnout been? They said "quite good". I said "more than 50%?" They said "about 10%, the same as last time". Not sure how that counts as "quite good".
    All things are relative I suppose ;)
  • Options
    MJW said:

Jonathan said:

Lisa Nandy. 20%? I don't get it. What has she done to be a contender? You can sort of, maybe, just about, see a case for Starmer or Jarvis. But even then, th

Starmer could probably cut it as a possible PM. Whether
    Other than Watson - who'd likely be a Howard-esque caretaker, attempting to repair the party, Nandy is the only one of those up top who could unite the softer/saner Corbynites with the rest of the party and its MPs. She's on the left economically but has no truck with the Marxist delusions which turn Corbyn's platform from one MPs might bite their tongues and agree with, to one they morally cannot bring themselves defend. She's also a competent media performer, but funnily enough has largely been kept off the airwaves since giving plausible, honest answers which contradicted the leader's waffle until popping up again to force him to do the decent thing over Naz Shah. She's also got a biography to die for, being a plain speaking half-Indian woman from Wigan who worked extensively for charities before taking up politics. I wouldn't underestimate the appeal to the membership of a northern woman given how stupid the party of equality would look facing a top Tory team of say, May and Javid with a bunch of pale, male North London pensioners. The problem is if she wields, or is even remotely seen to wield the knife, she loses the key attribute she has over other candidates - being able to offer Corbynites a leader they can accept who might stand a chance of winning and implement their more coherent economic ideas. Benn is a no-go due to Syria. Can you see a party membership who saw an extension of airstrikes against ISIS as a war crime voting for an ex-soldier? Starmer might work but is a bit too dry and Watson will probably have to dirty his hands in any coup.

The only way out of the current Mexican stand-off which will eventually kill the party is to trigger a contest, with say Jarvis standing backed by the right and act as an attack dog, let the unions and the soft left who are aware of Corbyn's shortcomings (but hate Tony Blair too much to care) know that the non-Corbynite MPs and members are prepared for the MAD of a split because morally they can't be in a Corbynite party. However there is a way out - backing Nandy as a unity candidate on a pro-trident, anti-austerity platform and dispensing with the sidetracking nonsense. Jarvis then pulls out due to 'lack of support' and you're in business. Off the top of my head she's the only front rank Labour politician who's plausible in that role - hence her low odds.
    No, it has to be a big hitter before the election, Nandy is not that and not in the front-rank of the Shadow Cabinet. McDonnell or Hilary Benn are the only alternatives to Corbyn pre-2020, most likely McDonnell
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

It must be an election night to see such newbies with their novel stories to tell
  • Options

I have up until today been a staunch Conservative voter

Phil "Us Blues" Roberts is dead. Long live "The Taxman"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bingo!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000

*awaits ban*
    http://www.sadtrombone.com
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Scottish Labour just phoned to ask to confirm that I had voted. I told them I had. I may be speaking to my better half when she gets home.

Tell me you live in Devon.
    No, Dundee. But my wife denies everything so I don't know where their database is coming from.
    Time to interrogate the sprogs..
  • Options
    Betfair has Zac's price just heading past Tim Peake
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Sussex PPC turnout report.

"painfully slow"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Any idea of Holyrood turnout yet?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I see I wasn't the only person to remember the infamous Phil Roberts.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    As a lifelong Lib Dem I have been appalled by Zac Cameron and his awful cat whistle campaign, Jeremy's lovely honesty had convinced me to switch the habits of 80 years and vote Labour,
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000

*awaits ban*
    http://www.sadtrombone.com
    I'll be here all night. ;)
  • Options
    Where I am there are only PCC elections so turnout probably around 10% or even less. I feel sorry for the officials who must by this stage be bored out of their minds.
  • Options
    I don't get the London tories onn here saying they think Zax will win? Surely the polls can't be THAT much out? or can they? I think 52-48 to Khan.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I see I wasn't the only person to remember the infamous Phil Roberts.
    A true legend.
  • Options

Floater said:

I kid you not Floater and Tyson, I did vote Labour for the first time today. I have found that my income has been frozen by the Tory government until 2019 and the much vaunted reduction in social rents that Cameron keeps boasting about means I have to pay the 1 % change as my social landlord increased the amount I am liable for so stuff Cameron is my view! People might say I am a nutter for doing this because ideologically I am a Tory but I wanted to get my protest in now as I don't think Cameron is going to be around long.
    Have you not benefitted from the doubling of the personal allowance since 2010?
  • Options
    nunu said:

I don't get the London tories onn here saying they think Zax will win? Surely the polls can't be THAT much out? or can they? I think 52-48 to Khan.

I don't think anyone is seriously considering a Zac win.
  • Options
    I have to say when I was politically active, I would always disregard any rumours or reports I heard on Polling Day from tellers or canvassers.

In the first election I fought, everyone was telling me it was going to be close between me and the Conservative - I got 36%, the Conservative got 55%.

There is so much misinformation and disinformation flying around (which has only multiplied exponentially by the coming of Twitter) it's best to follow the real numbers which should be known by only a few (and that excludes the candidates who I would keep well out of the way of anything and everything).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Is there a map of the changes ?

Apart from a few wards changing from being called X to being called X and Y it doesn't look like any real change.
    There's a link to maps of the new wards on here but I don't know whether it includes the old ones:

https://www.lgbce.org.uk/news/electoral-review/local-electoral-arrangements-finalised-for-sheffield-city-council
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Freggles said:

The overall figure for turnout at the PCC elections was about 15% in 2012 and because council turnout will be about 30% that will almost certainly mean that PCC turnout can be claimed to have risen, even if that will not be the case in PPC only polling areas
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    DavidL said:

Seriously, do you think South Yorkshire Police were being in any way adequately supervised by the previous arrangements over the last 30 years?

Police have real power in our society and need to be democratically accountable. I am not saying PCCs are the answer, they have very little mandate on such derisory turnouts, but surely even they are better than what we had before.?
    The alternative to PCC is what they have in London and soon will have in Manchester - policing being a responsibility of the elected Mayor. While I am not in favour of elected mayors being imposed on us, it is a better option than a PCC.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Wrong. I can't muck around with my proper name. I would be hauled over the coals. I think on Monday will revert as I might be in an official position as am standing at this election.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453

Where I am there are only PCC elections so turnout probably around 10% or even less. I feel sorry for the officials who must by this stage be bored out of their minds.

Council officials have minds? Do you evidence for this remarkable and implausible assertion?

As I am exhausted, on that bombshell I will bid everyone good night.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2016
    I wouldn't lay Sadiq Khan above 10/1 on this market.

He's currently backable at 40/1 (was available at 50/1 yesterday).

Value.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Jonathan said:

Sussex PPC turnout report.

"painfully slow"

You'd expect a higher turnout in those areas also holding local elections, around 35-40%.
  • Options
    Daniel Sturridge!!!!!!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

No. I won't say. When elected I need to be dull. When I am not I can be frivolous
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

In the same way that I used to be a staunch Labour voter.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    You haven't really convinced me, and on the gullible stakes, I am really super gullible. But a B- for effort.

Completely off thread and lacking any political merit of any kind- I was studying Corbyn's bearded growth today, and it appears to grow up into his nostrils which rather grossed me out.

Floater said:

• Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Scottish Labour just phoned to ask to confirm that I had voted. I told them I had. I may be speaking to my better half when she gets home.

Tell me you live in Devon.
    No, Dundee. But my wife denies everything so I don't know where their database is coming from.
    Time to interrogate the sprogs..
    Maybe someone said something to make someone go away. But one is in Edinburgh and tries to prove to her flatmates that Tories are not something out of a Harry Potter novel and the other doesn't live here anymore. Its a mystery.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dixie said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Wrong. I can't muck around with my proper name. I would be hauled over the coals. I think on Monday will revert as I might be in an official position as am standing at this election.
    You're Zac Goldsmith himself.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Ha! no, far more mundane
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Up to 80% in the South West
  • Options
    The fatcats in the Northumbria plod seem to have plenty of time and public money for their fun and games:

' A police chief lied to the force's top lawyer and spent public money to cover up an affair he was having with another officer, a tribunal has heard.

Revelations of a second affair at the top of Northumbria Police also emerged, as more claims about the relationships between senior officers were aired.

The allegations were made at a tribunal brought by the force's former head of legal services, Denise Aubrey.

She is claiming unfair dismissal after being sacked for gross misconduct.

The 54-year-old is also claiming sexual and disability discrimination at the hearing in North Shields.

Former chief constable Mike Craik was accused of lying to Ms Aubrey about his relationship with his assistant chief constable, Carolyn Peacock.

Mrs Peacock's chief superintendent husband, Jim, is then said to have punched Mr Craik at a barbecue after learning of the affair.

Details of a second affair involving sexual touching at work, sexualised emails and texts with references to "nipples with tassels" and "hula hoops" were also revealed, which allegedly involved assistant chief constable Greg Vant and Mr Craik's secretary, Juliet Bains. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36215471
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Nah, he is not getting elected to anything new.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

Charles said:

Dixie said:

Waves at @rcs1000
    Nah, he is not getting elected to anything new.
    unlikely
  • Options
    @zatzi: I was never optimistic about Zac's chances. Knocking up has confirmed my worst fears.
  • Options
    Have any Tories conceded they haven't won the London mayoral election yet?
  • Options
    Sky News will be the place to watch results coming in. They are far more right wing in their dialogue.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I knew it,. I knew it, I fluffin knew it....it all makes sense. Of course you were a Labour supporter.....
    Sean_F said:

In the same way that I used to be a staunch Labour voter.
  • Options

The fatcats in the Northumbria plod seem to have plenty of time and public money for their fun and games:

' A police chief lied to the force's top lawyer and spent public money to cover up an affair he was having with another officer, a tribunal has heard.

Revelations of a second affair at the top of Northumbria Police also emerged, as more claims about the relationships between senior officers were aired.

The allegations were made at a tribunal brought by the force's former head of legal services, Denise Aubrey.

The 54-year-old is also claiming sexual and disability discrimination at the hearing in North Shields.

Former chief constable Mike Craik was accused of lying to Ms Aubrey about his relationship with his assistant chief constable, Carolyn Peacock.

Mrs Peacock's chief superintendent husband, Jim, is then said to have punched Mr Craik at a barbecue after learning of the affair.

Details of a second affair involving sexual touching at work, sexualised emails and texts with references to "nipples with tassels" and "hula hoops" were also revealed, which allegedly involved assistant chief constable Greg Vant and Mr Craik's secretary, Juliet Bains. '

Wasn't that once a storyline in The Bill?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tyson said:

You haven't really convinced me, and on the gullible stakes, I am really super gullible. But a B- for effort.

Completely off thread and lacking any political merit of any kind- I was studying Corbyn's bearded growth today, and it appears to grow up into his nostrils which rather grossed me out.

Floater said:

Even for PB anoraks that really does score marks in attention to detail - bravo..
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    Normally we welcome a new poster but The_Taxman with their dramatic move from the Conservatives to the rabid left wingery of Corbyn over some obscure 1% comes across as plausible as the few REMAIN proponents on here who tried to make us believe that they were wavering for LEAVE until... until that is someone said something that upset them ....
  • Options

DavidL said:

The alternative to PCC is what they have in London and soon will have in Manchester - policing being a responsibility of the elected Mayor. While I am not in favour of elected mayors being imposed on us, it is a better option than a PCC.
    On that we are in agreement. Much better. But for those areas that don't have Mayors what do you do?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Sky News will be the place to watch results coming in. They are far more right wing in their dialogue.

I wouldn't call them right wing just more balanced, unlike the state broadcasters.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Dixie said:

No thanks :-)
  • Options
    Zac and Crosby's team have invited me for a drink tonight about midnight. Just haven't got it in me.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

The Save A Tree Sacrifice a Labour Councillor campaign has certainly had an impact in some areas of Sheffield .
  • Options

Normally we welcome a new poster but The_Taxman with their dramatic move from the Conservatives to the rabid left wingery of Corbyn comes across as plausible as the few REMAIN proponents on here who tried to make us believe that they were wavering for LEAVE until... until that is someone said something that upset them ....

that's torn it and there was me wobbling thinking I wasn't a Ken Clarkite member of the blue team after all

... that's me voting remain once and for all.
  • Options

In my experience, pissing off your head of legal is possibly the stupidest thing going. They know where all the bodies are buried, and every ugly detail.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Floater said:

Have you not benefitted from the doubling of the personal allowance since 2010?
    Does not earn enough to benefit?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Another SNP landslide then, and in the south west meaning they might have taken every fptp seat.
  • Options
    Pong said:

I wouldn't lay Sadiq Khan above 10/1 on this market.

He's currently backable at 40/1 (was available at 50/1 yesterday).

Value.

Labour obviously saying Khan absolutely nailed on. Tories still not giving up
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I think after more than 11 years of toiling away on this site that is the first compliment I have ever been given here, and perhaps my first ever..ever...in my life.

Still I'll take what I get.

tyson said:

Floater said:

Even for PB anoraks that really does score marks in attention to detail - bravo..
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Another SNP landslide then, and in the south west meaning they might have taken every fptp seat.
    Technically given the SNP have already won most of the constituencies anyway it would not be a landslide but little change, to get anywhere near a further landslide they would need to sweep most of the Borders too, the interest is really how close the Tories get to Labour for second
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    ROFL - Sinn Fein dig themselves in deeper.

Black slaves were treated better than the Irish in America.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-news/sinn-fein-mep-ridiculed-after-support-for-adams-over-slavery-1-7363720
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    nunu said:

Oops.

My mistake. It was a follow on from my earlier post.

South West Edinburgh, not South West Scotland.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

As a lifelong Lib Dem I have been appalled by Zac Cameron and his awful cat whistle campaign, Jeremy's lovely honesty had convinced me to switch the habits of 80 years and vote Labour,

Therehave been so many people on this site saying they have switched the habit of a lifetime from which ever party to vote Labour ! I hope wherever a party resorts to fear mongering on the scale of Zac's campaign gets crushed!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

There is a long and fine tradition of hat eating but if turnout in any of the Scottish regions reaches 80% after this lacklustre campaign I will join them.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Underneath the "POLLING STATION SIGN".

"If you are inside the polling station OR IN THE QUEUE OUTSIDE at 10.00pm you will still be allowed to vote."

With 9 people having voted at mine all day at 7.30pm I don't think that is going to be a problem this time.

Assume there will be a rush in the 7 minutes after the Liverpool match finishes.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Dixie said:

No thanks :-)
    The Beeb will be far less emotive and soft. Sky is where the righties live
  • Options

Normally we welcome a new poster but The_Taxman with their dramatic move from the Conservatives to the rabid left wingery of Corbyn over some obscure 1% comes across as plausible as the few REMAIN proponents on here who tried to make us believe that they were wavering for LEAVE until... until that is someone said something that upset them ....

Well, if you won't welcome a new poster, I will.

Welcome, Mr Taxman - I don't care who you are or have been if anyone.

The best thing I can offer is to paraphrase the famous lyrics:

"Idiots to the Left of me, Cretins to the Right
    Here I am stuck in the Middle it seems"
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Lisa Nandy. 20%? I don't get it. What has she done to be a contender? You can sort of, maybe, just about, see a case for Starmer or Jarvis. But even then, that's a stretch.

You need a candidate, who has demonstrated in opposition that they can make an impact and ideally land a blow.

Heidi Alexander?
    I don't think she's been especially impressive TBH, given the opportunity she's had during the doctors' strike. I've barely noticed her.
    Heidi Allen?
This discussion has been closed.