Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    LondonBob said:

Wanderer said:

Those who consider Trump too long at present, which states do you see him picking up?

These are the states likely to be competitive.

http://www.isidewith.com/map/JNty/2016-presidential-election-donald-trump-vs-hillary-clinton#z4

CT and NJ are like NY, but without NY's demographics. Trump polls well in the Mid Atlantic and got 60% plus in the DE primary. NH has historically been a swing state, a lot of Scot Irish settled in the mountains in the north of the state. FL is nailed on, and along with NV is a home state for Trump. MI, OH and PA have always been the Rust Belt states likely to flip. Iowa is too Midwest nice but New Mexico might like a wall on the border.
    Until the 1990s NH had been a very solid Republican state and remains their best bet in New England.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited May 2016

Ooh

BREAKING Chilcot report to be published after June 23 referendum, says David Cameron

I wonder why..
    Purdah. Makes the EU look good for not backing the liberation of Iraq
    I think it might implicate some of the leading figures of Remain.
    You're such a cynic. Don't prejudge.

The Chilcot inquiry members have excellent judgement. One of the members of the Chilcot Inquiry follows me on Twitter. What more proof do you want ?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    What I find genuinely funny is that some of the good people on here think that the Cameron/Tory strategy is OK. Saying that a vote for Khan is a vote for terrorism complete with the Russell Square bus - spot on. Writing to Sikh and Hindu Londoners saying don't vote for the Muslim - definitely not inciting racial hatred. Spending several years attacking a Jew for eating a bacon sandwich clearly not anti-semitism nor is attacking his dad for being the wrong sort.

Sharing a map generated by a Jewish professor about a hypothetical Israel as the 51st state - rampant disgusting racism. Trying to convene peace talks to stop bloodshed in the middle east - friends with the Terrorist. Holding talks with SInn Fein in public whilst at the same time the government are holding talks with Sinn Fein in private - pandering to terrorism.

Back in the real world more voters switch off from the whole thing. More people say "they're all as bad as each other", and fewer people vote. Which is of course the entire purpose of the exercise - stop people voting so that that powers that be can get on with making the right sort of people wealthy.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Floater said:

Preston Council leader Peter Rankin explains rising anti-Semitism…

“You need to think why this anti-semitism is getting worse. It’s because of the actions of the IDF shelling schools and hospitals and killing and maiming thousands of men, women and children.”

hmm - Would he accept the same logic for rise in "islamophobia"- I think not.

TBH the Israeli Government and IDF often do themselves no favours, public relations-wise.

Nor, of course, do radical Muslims And as for bizarre Muslim fundamentalists....
    Without wishing to enter into a protracted debate, I think it's a little more than a public relations issue.
    Agreed.

And I hotly dispute the notion that al Qaeeda or ISIS don't do PR well. The evidence - recruitment - is that they are spectacularly good at it. OKC is judging their PR success with the wrong metric - Western agnostic liberals. That is not their audience.

PS I'll amend that. ISIS has two audiences, and they do well with both against their objectives. Recruitment rates internationally show that they are doing well with audience 1, those who can be radicalized to join them.

The vast amounts of free media space and time they get, and the revulsion they evoke amongst Western democratic societies is evidence that they are very good at getting the response they want from that second audience; which is to overreact and exacerbate the West's relations with muslims, while giving massive amounts of publicity to themselves.
    Fair point. They just don't care how they are perceived outside their target group. Nor, it would appear sometimes, do the Israelis.
    The Israelis are sometimes quite explicit about that, too. I was involved in some Track 2 diplomacy years back. A gentleman who went on to become head of military intelligence in Israel told me 'in the long-term, there is no long-term'. In other words, you have to do what you have to do to survive until tomorrow. All else is irrelevant. That drives much of Israeli policy - or at least did for a while.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    matt said:

In 2004, Boris was sent to Liverpool to apologise in person for his comments.

Perhaps the Labour councillors, accused of anti-Semitism, can go to Israel and find out what it is really like over there and apologise to them directly?

Seems fair?

I presume that you're deliberately conflating anti-semitism and anti-zionism. Which is one of problems.

Do you have a problem with the Jews having their own homeland?

• Options
    matt said:

Ooh

BREAKING Chilcot report to be published after June 23 referendum, says David Cameron

I wonder why..
    It will implicate Duncan Smith as a cretin I suspect.
    We don't need an inquiry for that.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Dixie said:

London anecdote alert:

If Khan smoked cigars and drank champagne, he will be sitting with a very fat Cuban (Cigar not Castro!) and a wee glass of bubbles with his feet up on his desk spouting as if he was Kevin Keegan and Newcastle did win the league. His crown is sitting upon his head at a slant. He's laughing his head off. Labour as we speak are super confident that Citizen Khan will be crowned Mayor on Friday. I know, you've all been saying it. But, what will the gap be? Have Tories got a swing? Will Tories win more Assembly member seats? I think so.

#rampersforZac
    There was more than a whiff of desperation and straw clutching, wasn't there.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    I think that's much more like it. Can you imagine the furore for remain if senior Labour figures like Blair, Brown, Mandleson etc are implicated in anything ? Could totally blow the Remain campaign apart.
    They are hardly leading figures though. The people at the helm of New Labour have already been swept away.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Ooh

I wonder why..
    Quite.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    I think that's much more like it. Can you imagine the furore for remain if senior Labour figures like Blair, Brown, Mandleson etc are implicated in anything ? Could totally blow the Remain campaign apart.
    They're not leading figures though; they've barely been seen since 2010.

If there is a cynical element to the timing then I suspect the reason for the delay is more so that media coverage of it doesn't get in the way of the campaign grid.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    They are hardly leading figures though. The people at the helm of New Labour have already been swept away.
    Within Labour ranks they are - especially Brown for many. Mandy is Leave's greatest weapon so far. And Blair is planning to intervene.
  • Options
    Quilliam Foundation
    .@SadiqKhan called @QuilliamF 'Uncle Toms' in 2009.He's since repudiated such racist language.We hope for an apology https://t.co/koO82Qa3p4
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    Within Labour ranks they are - especially Brown for many. Mandy is Leave's greatest weapon so far. And Blair is planning to intervene.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Is there a significant difference between phone and online polls for the London mayoral election?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    They're not leading figures though; they've barely been seen since 2010.

If there is a cynical element to the timing then I suspect the reason for the delay is more so that media coverage of it doesn't get in the way of the campaign grid.
    Exactly that. Of course, the Government might end up wishing for a Chilcot distraction at some point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    matt said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    He trusted the PM. Yes - a cretinous policy to take generally. Blair changed UK politics forever. No PM is to be trusted any more I'm afraid. Least of all Dave. If IDS was a cretin for believing Blair then the Remainian sidekicks are cretins for giving Dave a similar pass on the usual' I smell bullshit' test.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    It would have to somehow implicate Cameron to blow the remain campaign apart, can't see how that would happen..... Be funny to see just how much of an imbecile the treacherous Duncan Smith is though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @philipjcowley · 2m2 minutes ago

If Labour under-perform tomorrow, there will be loads of guff about how this is down to the row over antisemitism.

@philipjcowley · 1m1 minute ago

But the various estimates of Labour loses - in Scotland, Wales and English locals - were all made before this row.

@philipjcowley · 1m1 minute ago

The last week has been sub-optimal campaigning, but the real problem is more fundamental.

@philipjcowley ·
    In England, for example, Labour are 10+ points worse off relative to the Tories than they were last time most of these contests were held.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Patrick said:

matt said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    He trusted the PM. Yes - a cretinous policy to take generally. Blair changed UK politics forever. No PM is to be trusted any more I'm afraid. Least of all Dave. If IDS was a cretin for believing Blair then the Remainians are cretins for giving Dave a similar pass on the usual' I smell bullshit' test.
    You kidding? IDS was wanking himself stupid(er) over the prospect of war in Iraq before the dodgy dossier was even a twinkle in Campbell's eye.

'In November 2001, he was one of the first politicians to call for an invasion of Iraq and held talks in Washington, DC, with senior US officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice and Paul Wolfowitz.'

http://tinyurl.com/htthlrh
  • Options
    edited May 2016

matt said:

Perhaps the Labour councillors, accused of anti-Semitism, can go to Israel and find out what it is really like over there and apologise to them directly?

Seems fair?

I presume that you're deliberately conflating anti-semitism and anti-zionism. Which is one of problems.

Indeed, if you actually look at what the stated 5 principal aims of Zionism are, other than the homeland issue, anti-Zionism is almost definitionally anti-Semitism:

"The unity of the Jewish people and the centrality of Israel in Jewish life
    The ingathering of the Jewish people in the historic homeland, Eretz Israel, through aliyah from all countries
    The strengthening of the State of Israel, based on the "prophetic vision of justice and peace"
    The preservation of the identity of the Jewish people through the fostering of Jewish, Hebrew and Zionist education and of Jewish spiritual and cultural values
    The protection of Jewish rights everywhere"

So to say you are an anti-Zionist but not an anti-Semite is to say you are against there being a state of Israel.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Patrick said:

matt said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    He trusted the PM. Yes - a cretinous policy to take generally. Blair changed UK politics forever. No PM is to be trusted any more I'm afraid. Least of all Dave. If IDS was a cretin for believing Blair then the Remainian sidekicks are cretins for giving Dave a similar pass on the usual' I smell bullshit' test.
    I'd sooner trust Dave than IDS...he's got plenty of form in the backstabbing stakes
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    midwinter said:

TonyE said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    It would have to somehow implicate Cameron to blow the remain campaign apart, can't see how that would happen..... Be funny to see just how much of an imbecile the treacherous Duncan Smith is though.
    If Blair is exonerated, which I think is likely alas, how long before we hear that Chilcot was nobbled by Brussels?
  • Options
    Uniondivvie

True. But the UK vote authorising war got Tory support (despite much heavy scepticism across the party) only because IDS told them he had seen the dossier and been assured by His Toniness that all was OK.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

LondonBob said:

http://polling.reuters.com/#!poll/TM4_26_SCALE

Trump's unfavourables down to -15.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!poll/TR30_24

Hillary at -7.

Of course the nature of those unfavourables matter. Being disliked for being a brash New Yorker is very different to be being disliked for being corrupt and dishonest.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!poll/TM752Y15_2

On the Trump page I'm seeing Trump -23 and on the Hillary page -8
    Because you haven't dragged the dateline over. 57.7 42.3 is the current = -15.4
    And if you look at Clinton it is 54.2 45.8 = -8.4

(Hillary still -35 on being honest and truthful - that is a heavy ball and chain.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MTimT said:

matt said:

Seems fair?

Indeed, if you actually look at what the stated 5 principal aims of Zionism are, other than the homeland issue, anti-Zionism is almost definitionally anti-Semitism:

The ingathering of the Jewish people in the historic homeland, Eretz Israel, through aliyah from all countries
    The strengthening of the State of Israel, based on the "prophetic vision of justice and peace"
    The preservation of the identity of the Jewish people through the fostering of Jewish, Hebrew and Zionist education and of Jewish spiritual and cultural values

So to say you are an anti-Zionist but not an anti-Semite is to say you are against there being a state of Israel.
    The geographic bounds of Eretz Israel are considerably larger than the borders of the current Israeli state.
  • Options
    Pro EU Ken Clarke voted against the Iraq war.

He's always had sound judgement.

Right then, right now.
  • Options

Patrick said:

matt said:

Ooh

I wonder why..
    He trusted the PM. Yes - a cretinous policy to take generally. Blair changed UK politics forever. No PM is to be trusted any more I'm afraid. Least of all Dave. If IDS was a cretin for believing Blair then the Remainians are cretins for giving Dave a similar pass on the usual' I smell bullshit' test.
    You kidding? IDS was wanking himself stupid(er) over the prospect of war in Iraq before the dodgy dossier was even a twinkle in Campbell's eye.

'In November 2001, he was one of the first politicians to call for an invasion of Iraq and held talks in Washington, DC, with senior US officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice and Paul Wolfowitz.'

Sadly that's true. In fact IDS even presented himself as a kind of intellectual godfather to the invasion and Blair's tutor and mentor.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

Blimey

Cameron says Corbyn is 'a friend of the terrorist group Hamas'. Gloves fully off

Cameron's political career ending in the gutter, along with Zac's. Shameful.
    I agree. This has lost Zac my vote and my wife's. It is a pity as I think he is a hardworking type who would make a good mayor, but as you say, this is now shameful gutter politics.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

LondonBob said:

Hillary at -7.

Of course the nature of those unfavourables matter. Being disliked for being a brash New Yorker is very different to be being disliked for being corrupt and dishonest.

(Hillary still -35 on being honest and truthful - that is a heavy ball and chain.
    Hillary is an appalling -60 or so with Independents on honesty and truthfulness - can't find the citation. But overall she is at -42 with this group:

"An April Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that Mrs. Clinton’s favorability rating among independents had dropped 15 percentage points in the last four months alone. That poll found that 20% of independents viewed Mrs. Clinton positively, compared with 62% who viewed her negatively—a gap of 42 percentage points."
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Right then, right now.

He was also pro-Euro. Was he right then?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018
    edited May 2016
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

we get 2 votes to make the SNP feel even better about themselves

Since the 2 vote system was partly set up to stop the SNP feeling good about themselves (you're killed stone dead, you are), I guess that might be called Karma.
    Poetic justice for the pathetic Labour and Tories who thought they had it all between themselves forever.
    Were the tories even asked? I think it was a Labour/Lib Dem Coalition that fixed it.
    Bit difficult to ask them since they opposed the parliament being set up.
    Not really but it does suggest that Malcolm is stretching things a bit by claiming this is some Labour/Tory conspiracy.
    David, I did retract that , and had forgotten that Tories were 100% against any democracy in Scotland never mind an attempted rigged voting system.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Since the 2 vote system was partly set up to stop the SNP feeling good about themselves (you're killed stone dead, you are), I guess that might be called Karma.
    Poetic justice for the pathetic Labour and Tories who thought they had it all between themselves forever.
    Were the tories even asked? I think it was a Labour/Lib Dem Coalition that fixed it.
    Not really but it does suggest that Malcolm is stretching things a bit by claiming this is some Labour/Tory conspiracy.
    David, I did retract that , and had forgotten that Tories were 100% against any democracy in Scotland never mind an attempted rigged voting system.
    The Tories were in favour of Westminster democracy for Scotland. Given that you were electing MPs to send to Westminster and still are then that can't by definition mean being "100% against any democracy". That'd only be true if the Tories wanted Scotland ruled by Westminster but without any Westminster MPs.
  • Options

As always, we have to ask ourselves the question Why. Why is David Cameron expending so much time and effort and potentially soiling his own reputation shoring up Zac Goldsmith, whose cause looks doomed? There seem to be only two possible answers:

1) The Conservatives believe that contrary to all current polling Zac Goldsmith's cause is not doomed.

2) David Cameron is showing his own team that he is still one of them, despite his Remainian tendencies, seeking to remind them of his perceived virtues as well as his perceived vices and trying to reunite the Conservative party behind an aggressive campaign.

Option 2 looks more likely to me.

Zac has the pictures
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Barnesian said:

Blimey

Cameron says Corbyn is 'a friend of the terrorist group Hamas'. Gloves fully off

I agree. This has lost Zac my vote and my wife's. It is a pity as I think he is a hardworking type who would make a good mayor, but as you say, this is now shameful gutter politics.
    So you won't vote for the man you think would make a good mayor because the Left are crying wolf.

Makes me wonder whether you were actually considering voting for him in the first place.

Gutter politics is when you play the race card to cover up proven links with extremism. It is not racist to ask pertinent questions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Hadn't realised there were no elections whatsoever before devolution! Thanks for setting us straight...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    All those who vote for Khan are voting for ethnic quotas in the London Mayor controlled job market..Democracy in action...
  • Options

Right then, right now.

One minor mistake in a near 50 year career in politics.

IDS had 50 mistakes a day.
  • Options

'Anti-semite waving Union flag' alert.

https://twitter.com/C_KAndrews/status/727825454179192832

Labour councillor suspended for anti -semitic remarks as well, they are really doing well.
  • Options

On another people's homeland, yes.
    Reminder: there are 5 million Palestinian refugees.
    The existence of the Jewish-supremacist entity "Israel" is an obscenity.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

matt said:

Seems fair?

The geographic bounds of Eretz Israel are considerably larger than the borders of the current Israeli state.
    I support Israel but it's worth noting there were plenty of jews who were sceptical, even hostile, to the idea of the creation of a jewish state/homeland in Palestine before it happened.
  • Options
    Jeremy Vine has Lord Monckton and Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on.

Lord Monkton: "This woman is a communist."
    @y_alibhai: "I am not. I am a socialist."
    Lord Monkton: "It is the same thing."
    @BBCRadio2
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Jez's fellow travellers would subvert our freedom and our culture by forcing us into socialism or Islam. It's socialism at gunpoint or Dhimmitude.

Dave and his fellow travellers would subvert our freedom by forcing us over time to assimilate into a bigger undemocratic blob that cares nothing for our culture or our freedom. It's socialism by osmosis. The journey may be less of a horror story but is the end point so very different?

I couldn't vote for either Labour or Conservative right now.

Come to the dark side Patrick, live in paradise and have a choice of real politicians to vote for.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Jez's fellow travellers would subvert our freedom and our culture by forcing us into socialism or Islam. It's socialism at gunpoint or Dhimmitude.

Dave and his fellow travellers would subvert our freedom by forcing us over time to assimilate into a bigger undemocratic blob that cares nothing for our culture or our freedom. It's socialism by osmosis. The journey may be less of a horror story but is the end point so very different?

I couldn't vote for either Labour or Conservative right now.

Come to the dark side Patrick, live in paradise and have a choice of real politicians to vote for.
    A choice? Between who? :D
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Barnesian said:

Blimey

Sorry but I simply don't believe you.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    The Arabs have a vast number of homelands from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean. It is obscene to also demand they get a few thousand square miles from the Israelis too.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016

@BBCRadio2

Blimey, wouldn't Monckton, Vine and YAB together in the same room affect the space-time continuum or something?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

Right then, right now.

IDS never lost a GE as Tory leader!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

LondonBob said:

Hillary at -7.

Hillary is an appalling -60 or so with Independents on honesty and truthfulness - can't find the citation. But overall she is at -42 with this group:

"An April Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that Mrs. Clinton’s favorability rating among independents had dropped 15 percentage points in the last four months alone. That poll found that 20% of independents viewed Mrs. Clinton positively, compared with 62% who viewed her negatively—a gap of 42 percentage points."
    Great info - I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    TGOHF said:

Barnesian said:

Blimey

I have seen quite a few 'I was a cast iron tory, but this sickening Zac campaign....' type comments that stink to high heaven.

Phil Roberts would be proud.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Honestly don't think I can be motivated by either Mayoral candidate to rush down to London tomorrow evening to vote, like wot I did a year ago on General Election Night - and make it back to Brum in time for the exit poll!

I'm sitting this one out on this level, boys.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    The Euro was not a minor mistake. It has brought the most destruction to European lives since the Second World War.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.
  • Options
    Oh no.

The Eurovision Song Contest has released a list of flags banned from this year's ceremony, including that most incendiary of emblems... the Welsh flag.

The flags of disputed territories like Crimea and Northern Cyprus are also banned, as well as the ISIS banner and the flags of any country not represented at the competition.

The news means that fans of Welsh contestant Joe Woolford - one member of UK entry Joe and Jake - will not be able to wave the country's iconic red dragon in support.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/eurovision/news/a792860/eurovision-song-contest-bans-the-welsh-flag-because-it-doesnt-want-to-be-political/
  • Options
    Layne said:

The Euro was not a minor mistake. It has brought the most destruction to European lives since the Second World War.

Was it worse than the break of Yugoslavia.

I mean really ?
  • Options

Oh no.

The Eurovision Song Contest has released a list of flags banned from this year's ceremony, including that most incendiary of emblems... the Welsh flag.

The flags of disputed territories like Crimea and Northern Cyprus are also banned, as well as the ISIS banner and the flags of any country not represented at the competition.

The news means that fans of Welsh contestant Joe Woolford - one member of UK entry Joe and Jake - will not be able to wave the country's iconic red dragon in support.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/eurovision/news/a792860/eurovision-song-contest-bans-the-welsh-flag-because-it-doesnt-want-to-be-political/

Believe in WALES!

Be LEAVE!

PS. I have a nice Eurovision graph that I constructed myself that I can send you if you want?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

DavidL said:

As always, we have to ask ourselves the question Why. Why is David Cameron expending so much time and effort and potentially soiling his own reputation shoring up Zac Goldsmith, whose cause looks doomed? There seem to be only two possible answers:

1) The Conservatives believe that contrary to all current polling Zac Goldsmith's cause is not doomed.

2) David Cameron is showing his own team that he is still one of them, despite his Remainian tendencies, seeking to remind them of his perceived virtues as well as his perceived vices and trying to reunite the Conservative party behind an aggressive campaign.

Yes but the damage to Labour from that barrage will not be restricted to London. It is a new level of brutality in UK politics. I think he needs to be careful but Labour are finally seeing the price they pay for having someone like Corbyn as leader.
    Yes, exactly. This is about pinning the 'soft on terrorists' label on Labour as a whole, not just Sadiq (in fact, not principally Sadiq). Labour can't really complain, they didn't have to choose a leader with links to Hamas and many other unpleasant organisations, or a Shadow Chancellor who has been sympathetic to IRA murderers, or give a senior role to Ken Livingstone. These are choices made by Labour, not a Tory plot.

Yep - and Jeremy Corbyn did not have to choose the advisers he has chosen.

Labour just has to suck it up. The party has done this to itself. It has chosen to be unelectable.

• Options

Oh no.

Look on the bright side, no EU flags. ;)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

It's not an either/or. Both are potentially valid.

There is a third, and better, reason though. It's not just about Sadiq. In fact, Cameron spent most of the time attacking Corbyn on related charges. This is about linking the whole Labour brand with 'untrustworthy', 'friends with our enemies' and 'not on your side'.
    You may be right there. But can you do that without retoxifying the Tories.
  • Options
    Layne said:

The Arabs have a vast number of homelands from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean. It is obscene to also demand they get a few thousand square miles from the Israelis too.

Wales = 20,779 sq. km
    Israel = 20,770 sq. km*

* on her 1949-1967 borders
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.
    Well he was following Thatcher's lead. She signed us up to the Single European Act and the ERM
  • Options

Oh no.

Believe in WALES!

Be LEAVE!

PS. I have a nice Eurovision graph that I constructed myself that I can send you if you want?
    Please. I might use it in my Eurovision thread.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

What I find genuinely funny is that some of the good people on here think that the Cameron/Tory strategy is OK. Saying that a vote for Khan is a vote for terrorism complete with the Russell Square bus - spot on. Writing to Sikh and Hindu Londoners saying don't vote for the Muslim - definitely not inciting racial hatred. Spending several years attacking a Jew for eating a bacon sandwich clearly not anti-semitism nor is attacking his dad for being the wrong sort.

What evidence do you have that Tory strategy was to stir up antisemitism by attacking Ed Miliband for eating a bacon sandwich?

There was much online pointing and laughing at Weird Ed's difficulty with something so simple as eating a sandwich (I don't think the bacon was important in this at all), but I'm not sure how you can twist that into an antisemitic strategy by the Tory party.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.
    Well he was following Thatcher's lead. She signed us up to the Single European Act and the ERM

Thatcher joined the ERM when she was politically weak and under pressure.

• Options
    Layne said:

I was talking about the Palestinians, not the Arabs. Why is it "obscene" to oppose a bunch of settlers from other countries setting up an ethnic-supremacist and fascist regime in another people's homeland, causing there to be 5 million Palestinian refugees from the said homeland?

The question of "Israel's" right to exist is a major discriminator between those who uphold humanitarian and non-racist values and those who don't. It has no right to exist whatsoever.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    John_N4 said:

Layne said:

I was talking about the Palestinians, not the Arabs. Why is it "obscene" to oppose a bunch of settlers from other countries setting up an ethnic-supremacist and fascist regime in another people's homeland, causing there to be 5 million Palestinian refugees from the said homeland?

The question of "Israel's" right to exist is a major discriminator between those who uphold humanitarian and non-racist values and those who don't. It has no right to exist whatsoever.
    Which state does ?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    John_N4 said:

The Arab League has 22 member states with a total area of 13 million sq. km (second only to Russia).
    The larger Organisation of Islamic Cooperation has 57 member states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_Islamic_Cooperation
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    John_N4 said:

I'm sure you think that a Jewish Homeland should exist in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    John_N4 said:

Layne said:

John. In N4? Surrounded by them are you?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.

She was sticking to her Pro-EC/integrationist tendencies.

Campaigned for the UK to Remain in The EC, signed the Single European Act and joined the ERM.

Judge her by her actions not her words. She governed in Pro EC/EU prose and in retirement campaigned in Eurosceptic poetry.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    John_N4 said:

Layne said:

By your criteria, half the countries of the world have no right to exist!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.
    The UK has won Eurovision only ONCE since the Single European Act of 1986!

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.
    And the ERM fiasco destroyed Tory economic competency for over a decade. What a great idea that was. Sometimes even the greatest among us stumble. Thatcher for the ERM and Cameron for backing Remain.
  • Options
    Layne said:

If I remember rightly, Ken set his face like flint against basket-case economies such as Greece joining. If they'd have stuck only with the stable, sensible northern nations, as originally envisaged, it would probably have been fine.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.

She was sticking to her Pro-EC/integrationist tendencies.

Campaigned for the UK to Remain in The EC, signed the Single European Act and joined the ERM.

Judge her by her actions not her words. She governed in Pro EC/EU prose and in retirement campaigned in Eurosceptic poetry.
    There is no such thing as EU money - there is only Taxpayers's Money!
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467

Patrick said:

matt said:

Ooh

I wonder why..

Yes there was fantastic piece by Paul Robinson, he runs the excellent Irrussianality blog, about how IDS ensured that the Iraq War was more toxic for the Conservatives than Labour. The Lib Dems would prove to be the beneficiaries.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2004/10/thought-police/

Presumably the same idiots who thought the Iraq war was a good idea, and that obsessing about Putin are popular positions, are the same ones advocating the bizarre and cretinous Hamas attack. Embarrassing stuff.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    https://twitter.com/spectator/status/727839791543398400
    New EU tune: We All bow Down to Ergy. Sung to that well known tune, "Polly Put the Kettle On".
  • Options
    HortenceWitheringHortenceWithering Posts: 145
    edited May 2016

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Layne said:

Well, the Arabs tried to grab the whole of the ex-British Mandate for themselves in 1948, but they lost.

They could have had a state on 45% of the Mandate territory, and a neutral Jerusalem administered by the UN, if they accepted Israel's right to exist in 1947.

Nowadays, they would only have 22% of the Mandate territory (West Bank and Gaza).
  • Options
    edited May 2016

MaxPB said:

Right then, right now.

"Minor".

Titters.

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
    Nothing to do with the EU. The UK only wins Eurovision under Labour governments.
    Tell that to Bucks Fizz. Our finest entry/winner was under the Tories.
  • Options

Layne said:

If I remember rightly, Ken set his face like flint against basket-case economies such as Greece joining. If they'd have stuck only with the stable, sensible northern nations, as originally envisaged, it would probably have been fine.
    Ireland which was viewed in the 90's and 00s as a stable, sensible northern nation was amongst the nations that had big problems. Spain, Portugal and Italy were never going to be denied entry either.
  • Options
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    I have just brought my office to a stop roaring with laughter at this. People looked at my screen. They're laughing too. Got to love Boris
  • Options

I have just brought my office to a stop roaring with laughter at this. People looked at my screen. They're laughing too. Got to love Boris
    The British public love a good sexual innuendo.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Right then, right now.

And pro selling fags to kids in the far east.

next...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Layne said:

Bollocks. It's only a matter of time before France goes down the same route Club Med have already taken.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016

@BBCRadio2

Top trolling from Lord Monckton. I will try and find a recording when I am back in from work.
  • Options
    0_o

Dan Hannan
    "Grotesque to judge Gerry Adams, who has a life’s work of internationalism & antiracist solidarity, by a single Tweet." Guess the newspaper.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn's pledge that Labour will not lose council seats has been 'misinterpreted', says aide
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/04/jeremy-corbyns-pledge-that-labour-will-not-lose-council-seats-ha/
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Blimey

So you won't vote for the man you think would make a good mayor because the Left are crying wolf.

Makes me wonder whether you were actually considering voting for him in the first place.

Gutter politics is when you play the race card to cover up proven links with extremism. It is not racist to ask pertinent questions.
    You will find several comments on here where I explained why I would be voting for Zac. I thought he would make a good mayor. But he has allowed his campaign to be hijacked which is a sign of weakness. I don't think his heart is in it. And Cameron has piled in. Sickening.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Sean_F said:

John_N4 said:

I'm sure you think that a Jewish Homeland should exist in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Or in the middle of America.
  • Options
    Just for TSE...

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

0_o

Dan Hannan
    "Grotesque to judge Gerry Adams, who has a life’s work of internationalism & antiracist solidarity, by a single Tweet." Guess the newspaper.

Followed by "people should be assessed on the body of their work". Adams has plenty of bodies to be assessed by.
  • Options

Just for TSE...

I prefer to judge her by her actions.

If we judged people by their own words then Corbyn would be a peacemaker and a friend of peace.
  • Options
    New THREAD
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

0_o

Dan Hannan

Daily mail?
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Barnesian said:

Blimey

If I knew how to search the archives with keywords, I would find my posts explaining why I thought Zac would make a good mayor and that I was going to give him my second preference (after Caroline Pidgeon). I have been in email correspondence with him and have been to meetings he has led. I admired him.
This discussion has been closed.