Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon

@JournoStephen: Scottish Labour to finish third behind Tories, poll finds https://t.co/oJ1gCH5AW0 https://t.co/3d8MAJ8G2Z

The Scotland Votes seat predictor which people are using to do all these seat calculations is a bag of arse.

Without regional breakdowns it is total finger in the air stuff.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,541
    Thankfully no-one is forcing them to vote - presumably Cameron and Osborne haven't thought of the electronic cattle-prod option yet.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    tlg86 said:

Just run the Holyrood numbers through ScotlandVotes, which suggests

SNP 71
    Con 23
    Lab 20
    Grn 9
    LD 6

It'd be the constituency figure keeping them in a majority - hardly any top-ups.

I know it's not easy to work out, but if their constituency vote fell, would they benefit from more top up MSPs?
    Unlikely - 6 of the 9 most marginal seat outcomes are forecast to be won by the SNP, and they are closest runner-up for a list seat in only one region.

5,000 less constituency votes in the vulnerable areas could cost them 5 seats and their majority.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,999
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Scottish Labour to finish third behind Tories, poll finds https://t.co/oJ1gCH5AW0 https://t.co/3d8MAJ8G2Z

The Scotland Votes seat predictor which people are using to do all these seat calculations is a bag of arse.

22/04/2016 Alistair SNP Galloway advised at 4/7 "Slam dunk"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

This is why she should have resigned. By supporting her Corbyn has blown it up into something much bigger.

A Labour MP is going to address the Commons and personally apologise for being an anti-Semite.

I mean, how much worse can it get? Can't they see how damaging it is?
    Damaging from who's point of view though? From a point of view which gets 10-15% of their total votes from Muslims, probably not. There is going to be a lot more handwringing and acceptance of disturbing views by Labour in the coming years as they become more dependent on inner cities. Ask surbiton of this parish, Muslim vote harvesting is a Labour policy, he has said as much time and again.
    Damaging to Labour in two ways: it angers the Jewish community, deeply, and they are articulate and often influential. Look at ex-BBC head Danny Cohen's remarks on Labour, the other day. In future, Labour will get a much more sceptical reaction from Jewish journalists, academics, businessmen.

Also it alienates the white working class vote, even further, as Labour is perceived to pander to the Islamic vote to such an extent it openly tolerates racism.

Anti-Semitism is virtually non-existent in WWC Britain.
    Danny Cohen's outburst wasn't widely reported despite being rather remarkable. A long time Labourite, former senior BBC bod, well connected across the media, and somebody who doesn't comments on this stuff, and he basically said they have a huge problem.
  • Options

When will Liverpool ever accept the fact that it was Liverpool fans who crushed other Liverpool fans to death...no one else

Not once in the coverage of the past 48 hours have I seen any reference to the trauma the Forest fans suffered that day. The Forest fans who managed to get into Hillsborough in a calm, sensible way that the Liverpool fans somehow didn't...
    FFS. Maybe because 10,000 fans weren't funneled through 7 turnstiles in a completely incompetent manner?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The place where one drink will get you banned from driving...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-36149020

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

This is why she should have resigned. By supporting her Corbyn has blown it up into something much bigger.

A Labour MP is going to address the Commons and personally apologise for being an anti-Semite.

Damaging from who's point of view though? From a point of view which gets 10-15% of their total votes from Muslims, probably not. There is going to be a lot more handwringing and acceptance of disturbing views by Labour in the coming years as they become more dependent on inner cities. Ask surbiton of this parish, Muslim vote harvesting is a Labour policy, he has said as much time and again.
    Damaging to Labour in two ways: it angers the Jewish community, deeply, and they are articulate and often influential. Look at ex-BBC head Danny Cohen's remarks on Labour, the other day. In future, Labour will get a much more sceptical reaction from Jewish journalists, academics, businessmen.

Also it alienates the white working class vote, even further, as Labour is perceived to pander to the Islamic vote to such an extent it openly tolerates racism.

I think the equation that Labour have made is that there are 400,000 Jews eligible to vote in Britain and about 2.5m Muslims, the former group is shrinking and the latter is the fastest growing demographic in Britain.

I think they figure that even if they lose some votes they get more out of motivating Muslims to vote for them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You can back Scottish NOM at 10/1 with Ladbrokes if you so wish.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Yes, it would be easy to take the cynical view that there are more Muslims than Jews in UK and that the Jews don't vote labour anyway.

True or not, unless Corbyn sacks her he'll go down in my estimation.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Maomentum_: Like @jeremycorbyn, I have spent over 30 years opposing anti-Semitism and ALL kinds of mealy-mouthed what-aboutery.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:
    It is obvious Staines has been sitting on his story for a while...slowly releasing each damaging quote after damaging quote...

Didn't he also break the story on Khan's speech writer having the same issues.

I am presuming he has his minions collecting this dirt for ages now.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

I think the equation that Labour have made is that there are 400,000 Jews eligible to vote in Britain and about 2.5m Muslims, the former group is shrinking and the latter is the fastest growing demographic in Britain.

I think they figure that even if they lose some votes they get more out of motivating Muslims to vote for them.
    I have read the muslim community is a canvasser's dream. They just give the postals over to a 'community leader' and wait for the votes to pile in.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    edited April 2016

TSE
    @TSEofPB

"Interesting movement of the undecideds when squeezed by @Survation"

I was with some people when I read this and couldn't stop laughing. Explaining what I was laughing at wasn't an option. Only on PB!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

CD13 said:

FeersumEnjineeya,

To be true science, you need to be able to use it to predict. In 1919, Arthur Eddington sailed to the tropics to observe an solar eclipse? Why? To test a prediction of Einstein's on gravitational lensing. He showed it to be correct. Thus the General Theory of Relativity received a boost. Gravitational waves as predicted took longer, but have been found.

And as the great man said himself ... "No amount of experimentation can prove me right. A single experiment can prove me wrong."

AGW cannot be proved right by experiment .. or wrong at the moment. The aim of science is to test, not to look for excuses.

Now AGW may be correct, but if you cannot predict, it's not science let alone settled science, If I ask "What will be the average temperature of London in 2020?" the correct answer is "I don't know, there are too many confounding factors ... El Nino, solar flares etc." I will answer you, as has been said earlier ... "then it's not science yet."

It may very well be true, but it may be wishful thinking.

As a former physicist myself, I'm fully aware of how science works.

AGW, like any scientific theory, cannot be *proved* to be correct, although it could be disproved if, for example, the sea levels were to stop rising for a significant length of time. However, AGW is currently by far the best explanation we have for the recent changes in the Earth's climate, and the predictions of warming made back in the early 1980s have materialised almost exactly as forecast.
    No they haven't. Neither the scale nor the speed of temperature or sea level rise gas matched the AGW predictions. What they have matched is the predicted natural rises.

As a former physicist you might like to go and read some of Feynman's comments on the proper pursuit of science before making such claims.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TSE
    @TSEofPB

"Interesting movement of the undecideds when squeezed by @Survation"

I was with some people when I read this and couldn't stop laughing. Explaining what I was laughing at wasn't an option. Only on PB!

:lol:
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Twitter is a cross between a goldmine for journalists and a boobytrap for their prey.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    She's on BBC Parly now
  • Options
    On my way to Waterloo last night I saw a huge poster advertising a 'Tel Aviv Pride'

Will they be having a gay Pride in Gaza, I wonder...??
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,962
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

I wouldn't say "Labour" as a whole. Many Labour activists have nothing but contempt for anti-Semitism.

But, I think some members of the Party have made that calculation.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Alistair said:

When will Liverpool ever accept the fact that it was Liverpool fans who crushed other Liverpool fans to death...no one else

Not once in the coverage of the past 48 hours have I seen any reference to the trauma the Forest fans suffered that day. The Forest fans who managed to get into Hillsborough in a calm, sensible way that the Liverpool fans somehow didn't...
    FFS. Maybe because 10,000 fans weren't funneled through 7 turnstiles in a completely incompetent manner?
    Anyone who was a regular football goer in those days knows how disorderly and feral the whole experience often was.

I attended one particular game in West London where the same could have happened, but fortunately there were no fences.

It was just a cocktail of contributory factors, each playing their part in a terrible accident, in my view.
  • Options
    I'd pay good money to see a Ted Cruz vs George Galloway debate on Israel.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

You obviously have not been to Stamford Bridge or Upton Park!

Completely agree with you, though. Like me, many of my left-leaning Jewish friends are in utter despair at the way Labour is moving. They cannot vote for such a party, so will go elsewhere. And it will take a hell of a lot to win them back.

• Options
    chestnut said:

Alistair said:

Anyone who was a regular football goer in those days knows how disorderly and feral the whole experience often was.

I attended one particular game in West London where the same could have happened, but fortunately there were no fences.

It was just a cocktail of contributory factors, each playing their part in a terrible accident, in my view.
    As ever with these things, the cover ups and smears were worse than the deeds themselves.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    taffys said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

I have read the muslim community is a canvasser's dream. They just give the postals over to a 'community leader' and wait for the votes to pile in.
    Yes, I've heard that as well. Labour work with "community organisers" who collect signed postal votes and then fill them out and send them off.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2016
    New thread.
  • Options
    Serious question - do some people think South Yorkshire doesn't need a police force ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

22/04/2016 Alistair SNP Galloway advised at 4/7 "Slam dunk"
    For the http://vote.cutbot.net/forecast/636bbc89/constituencies#forecast-constituency-galloway-west-dumfries prediction for D&G to be true the eastern half of Dumfries must be entirely SNP voters which would make Dumfriesshire a nailed on SNP gain.

In fact, looking at some of the Cutbot figures they don't make any sense to me - Labour shedding 5000 votes in seats with vastly less than 5000 votes going to other parties. They are basically predicting turnout to be way down on 2011 which isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    sarissa said:

tlg86 said:

Just run the Holyrood numbers through ScotlandVotes, which suggests

SNP 71
    Con 23
    Lab 20
    Grn 9
    LD 6

It'd be the constituency figure keeping them in a majority - hardly any top-ups.

I know it's not easy to work out, but if their constituency vote fell, would they benefit from more top up MSPs?
    Unlikely - 6 of the 9 most marginal seat outcomes are forecast to be won by the SNP, and they are closest runner-up for a list seat in only one region.

5,000 less constituency votes in the vulnerable areas could cost them 5 seats and their majority.
    PS - I should have said courtesy of Cutbot's predictor site!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    Pulpstar said:

I'd pay good money to see a Ted Cruz vs George Galloway debate on Israel.

That would be funny!
  • Options

CD13 said:

FeersumEnjineeya,

To be true science, you need to be able to use it to predict. In 1919, Arthur Eddington sailed to the tropics to observe an solar eclipse? Why? To test a prediction of Einstein's on gravitational lensing. He showed it to be correct. Thus the General Theory of Relativity received a boost. Gravitational waves as predicted took longer, but have been found.

And as the great man said himself ... "No amount of experimentation can prove me right. A single experiment can prove me wrong."

AGW cannot be proved right by experiment .. or wrong at the moment. The aim of science is to test, not to look for excuses.

Now AGW may be correct, but if you cannot predict, it's not science let alone settled science, If I ask "What will be the average temperature of London in 2020?" the correct answer is "I don't know, there are too many confounding factors ... El Nino, solar flares etc." I will answer you, as has been said earlier ... "then it's not science yet."

It may very well be true, but it may be wishful thinking.

As a former physicist myself, I'm fully aware of how science works.

AGW, like any scientific theory, cannot be *proved* to be correct, although it could be disproved if, for example, the sea levels were to stop rising for a significant length of time. However, AGW is currently by far the best explanation we have for the recent changes in the Earth's climate, and the predictions of warming made back in the early 1980s have materialised almost exactly as forecast.
    No they haven't. Neither the scale nor the speed of temperature or sea level rise gas matched the AGW predictions. What they have matched is the predicted natural rises.

As a former physicist you might like to go and read some of Feynman's comments on the proper pursuit of science before making such claims.
    You're wrong there. With no human contribution, we'd expect the climate to be gradually cooling as the Earth nears the end of its current interglacial period. It is virtually impossible to explain the rapid warming we now observe without taking AGW into account.

It was back in 1981 that James Hansen, former head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, predicted that AGW would result not only in the temperature increase we have seen since then, but also its concentration at the poles. By the late 80s, climate change started to be taken seriously by the world's politicians (notably Mrs Thatcher), but then the denial propaganda machine got to work and scuppered our chances of seriously addressing the problem.

I don't see anything in climate science that Feynman would have had much of an issue with; perhaps you have misunderstood his comments.
  • Options
    Floater said:

taffys said:

Maybe Corbyn's right - and Shah does not believe that horrible stuff.

Maybe the fact is that this is just what you have to say in some parts of Britain if you want to get elected.

You think we should accept that even in the unlikely event that was true?
    "The unlikely event that was true?"

Ha, ha, how high up do you float?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Tory surge klaxon

Scottish Parliament voting intention (const.):
    SNP: 53% (-2)
    LAB: 19% (-1)
    CON: 18% (+2)
    LDEM: 6% (-)
    (via Ipsos Mori)

Scottish Parliament voting intention (list):
    SNP: 45% (-4)
    CON: 19% (+4)
    LAB: 17% (-2)
    GRN: 10% (+4)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    (via Ipsos Mori)

Never mind the Tory score, look at the SNP list one. 53% in the constituencies (vs just 19 next) would still come close to a clean sweep but 45% would produce very few top-ups. Also, the Lib Dems on 7% might well qualify in most regions. On these figures, Sturgeon might find herself having to sign the Greens up.
    Not a chance
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

You can back Scottish NOM at 10/1 with Ladbrokes if you so wish.

There is a reason it is 10-1
This discussion has been closed.