Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Super Thursday 2016 : Two Weeks to Go

2»

Comments

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

'Would someone without a background in economics be able to understand a lot of Minford's book?

I have just purchased, "Dilemmas of European Integration: The Ambiguities and Pitfalls of Integration by Stealth" by Giandomenico Majone. Zero reviews on Amazon but could be an interesting read.'

---------------------------

If you fancy a laugh, Minford in front of the Foreign Policy Committee is great. The dimness of the MPs is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4VJPrNFeY
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited April 2016
    My advice to Leavers.

Follow Douglas Carswell's tone about Obama's intervention.

Don't get all angry and abusive towards him.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016
    Kate Hoey rather underwhelming on Question Time. Hmmph.

Mind you, she's still coming across infinitely better than Sanctimonious Paddy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

I look forward to Cameron or Mr A N Other flying to Washington to advise American electors who to vote for in November.

Completely different. This is an ally advising on our key strategic relationships, not who we should vote as PM.
    Yes, completely different, because they wouldn't react the exact same way to us going there on advising on their key strategic relationships which, coincidentally, very likely will lead to a change in PM depending on the result.
    Er, Churchill, Fulton, Missouri - 1946.
    Then is not now. Shockingly they'd probably react differently.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    A million quid has been staked on the EU referendum at Betfair (matched) in the past 24 hours, out of £6.5m altogether. Why?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    Danny565 said:

Has Weatherspoons guy explained why he removed the Sunday Lunch option from his pubs? ;-)
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Danny565 said:

Sanctimonious Paddy.

Is Paddy Pantsdown still going? I call him "Jeremy". "Paddy" was the nickname he got given in the army, by reason of his strong Irish accent...which he "lost" when he went into politics.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Too close to the ground to judge Dixie's comment on the Tory effort, but there is a ridiculous amount of Labour effort going on - every time I log on to the site I get a choice of dozens of events over the next few days in different parts of London, with a specific prompt for the one that the system has worked out is closest to me. Khan is benefiting from an odd congruence of interest - left-wingers want him to win because they think it will reflect well on the leadership, and moderates want him to win to create a medium-term alternative to the leadership.

I agree with Dixie that a 20-point margin sounds unlikely, but I think the Tories have overplayed the Islamist stuff - broadly, people either take an interest and know Khan isn't an extremist (and some of those are then incensed at the cynical Tory campaign), or they don't take an interest and it bounces off. Their problem is that they're so busy talking about Khan that they're getting almost no coverage for whatever it is that Goldsmith stands for, so it's becoming the Khan vs the anti-Khan. That lets Khan mop up the apolitical vote, who merely want a competent mayor to do something about housing and fares.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    John_N4 said:

A million quid has been staked on the EU referendum at Betfair (matched) in the past 24 hours, out of £6.5m altogether. Why?

Obama is a secret gambler, a la Claire Ballatine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

Too close to the ground to judge Dixie's comment on the Tory effort, but there is a ridiculous amount of Labour effort going on - every time I log on to the site I get a choice of dozens of events over the next few days in different parts of London, with a specific prompt for the one that the system has worked out is closest to me. Khan is benefiting from an odd congruence of interest - left-wingers want him to win because they think it will reflect well on the leadership, and moderates want him to win to create a medium-term alternative to the leadership.

I agree with Dixie that a 20-point margin sounds unlikely, but I think the Tories have overplayed the Islamist stuff - broadly, people either take an interest and know Khan isn't an extremist (and some of those are then incensed at the cynical Tory campaign), or they don't take an interest and it bounces off. Their problem is that they're so busy talking about Khan that they're getting almost no coverage for whatever it is that Goldsmith stands for, so it's becoming the Khan vs the anti-Khan. That lets Khan mop up the apolitical vote, who merely want a competent mayor to do something about housing and fares.

With the expectations game played well for labour elsewhere, and chances of a stonking great win in London, may could be a good night for labour.

Good night
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    viewcode said:

weejonnie said:

Also 62 May's, 75 likely's - shall we go on?

31 possible's 62 potential's 339 estimate's

So if that previous report was rubbish, the treasury one wants to be used a bogroll.

Than previous report was rubbish...which is my point. Please feel free to use whatever you wish for bogroll.
    At least I haven't spent millions of taxpayer money on civil service time producing such sh*t.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

This referendum never ceases to surprise me.

A good friend of mine (MASSIVE europhile, pro-euro, works as a Director for Deutsche Bank, and I can't imagine him voting anything other than 'Remain') has just said this is easily the best economic analysis out there, and should be sent to everyone:

https://woodfordfunds.com/economic-impact-brexit-report/

Believe it or not I do try to read the links people post on here: for example I read both of the VLTC links you posted recently, although I assume you have posted more which I have not noticed. However I only got about 20% of the way thru this one (https://woodfordfunds.com/economic-impact-brexit-report/) before I started using unparliamentary language. It's not just the fact that it's sourced from the never-knowingly-correct Roger Bootle's Capital Economics: that didn't stop me reading Bootle's Euroexit essay from a few years back. It was because it was...well, let's just do the list. The report includes the following:

76 "could"s
    70 " if "s
    34 "may"s
    30 "likely"s
    25 "potential"s
    18 "might"s
    18 "estimate"s
    14 "probably"s
    12 "possible"s
    11 "should"s
    07 "probable"s
    06 "think"s
    05 "chance"s
    06 "seems"s
    05 "suggest"s
    05 "appear"s
    04 "assume"s
    04 "believe"s
    03 "doubt"s
    03 "tend to"s
    02 "possibiity"s
    02 "on the other hand"s
    01 "presumably"

and my favourites

01 "could potentially" (OH FOR F**KS SAKE!)
    01 "certainly possible"

The report that your Deutsche Bank friend praised so extravagantly isn't a report, it's a fantasy in the literal sense: an indulgent thought exploration of a possible outcome. If your Deutsche Bank friend is recruiting, send me the link, because he *badly* needs somebody who can sieve.
    There are 108 could's in the treasury report. - and 140 if's
    There are 108 could's in the treasury report. - and 140 if's....... from a Treasury Department that under forecast the debt by £172 billion in just 6 years.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

So if that previous report was rubbish, the treasury one wants to be used a bogroll.

Given that it is a report based on what could happen if we left the EU, it is hardly surprising.
    Both papers appear to be - so why try and denigrate one and not the other?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Danny565 said:

Has Weatherspoons guy explained why he removed the Sunday Lunch option from his pubs? ;-)
    A question I've asked in Wetherspoons. Made a massive difference in my local on Sundays. Suspect its cost cutting because of rise in min wage, but very bad decision in my opinion which could have long term consequences.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Danny565 said:

Sanctimonious Paddy.

Is Paddy Pantsdown still going? I call him "Jeremy". "Paddy" was the nickname he got given in the army, by reason of his strong Irish accent...which he "lost" when he went into politics.

Paddy is on tv 11 months after running the least successful campaign for the Lib Dems ever and delivering a result that has virtually killed his party off. Remarkable achievement. Now he wants to give advice on the best thing for the UK>
  • Options

My advice to Leavers.

Wonder how everyone would have reacted if it had been his predecessor saying to Remain.
  • Options

My advice to Leavers.

Wonder how everyone would have reacted if it had been his predecessor saying to Remain.
    Just think if the referendum was next year, and Trump was in the White House and he made an intervention.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

Barack Obama: As your friend, let me tell you that the EU makes Britain even greater

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/21/as-your-friend-let-me-tell-you-that-the-eu-makes-britain-even-gr/

'As your friend...'

Do one Barry.
    If his feature in the telegraph is anything to go by he is not making a few comments but looks like it is going to be full on. Tin hats time
    As someone else has already posted, if it's such a great idea why don't our friends in North America try and join up too? I'm sure they'd be welcome.

The US should stop interfering in other countries. They've caused enough damage.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited April 2016

John_N4 said:

Danny565 said:

Sanctimonious Paddy.

Paddy is on tv 11 months after running the least successful campaign for the Lib Dems ever and delivering a result that has virtually killed his party off. Remarkable achievement. Now he wants to give advice on the best thing for the UK>
    To be fair to Ashdown he more than doubled the LDs number of MPs in 1997, his last election as leader, to 46 from the 22 Steel and Owen won in 1987
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,038
    weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

weejonnie said:

Than previous report was rubbish...which is my point. Please feel free to use whatever you wish for bogroll.
    At least I haven't spent millions of taxpayer money on civil service time producing such sh*t.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

Hoey and Fox both very poor.

Paddy back to his old star quality. Great stuff.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Danny565 said:

A question I've asked in Wetherspoons. Made a massive difference in my local on Sundays. Suspect its cost cutting because of rise in min wage, but very bad decision in my opinion which could have long term consequences.
    It will be interesting to see if enough people vote with their feet if it will return. Seemed a short sighted move to me, as although I personally don't go their for Sunday lunch, I know it was popular at my local Spoons.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    If they are such a big fan of supranational authorities they could make a start by joining the international criminal court.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TCPoliticalBetting

'Paddy is on tv 11 months after running the least successful campaign for the Lib Dems ever and delivering a result that has virtually killed his party off. Remarkable achievement. Now he wants to give advice on the best thing for the UK'

Agree,he did a top notch job decimating the Lib Dems.

But does anyone listen to the pompous rust bucket ?

• Options
    edited April 2016

My advice to Leavers.

This helpful 'advice' stuff is really quite sweet, and not in the least bit patronising. Keep it up sonny.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@TCPoliticalBetting

'Paddy is on tv 11 months after running the least successful campaign for the Lib Dems ever and delivering a result that has virtually killed his party off. Remarkable achievement. Now he wants to give advice on the best thing for the UK'

Agree,he did a top notch job decimating the Lib Dems.

But does anyone listen to the pompous rust bucket ?

He'll always be Paddy Pantsdown,
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Tim Martin is not a George Osborne fan by the sounds of things.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    HYUFD said:
    So Cruz is in fact MORE extreme than Trump?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Tim Martin is not a George Osborne fan by the sounds of things.

I don't think he likes any politicians much. If I had to guess I think he wouldn't mind having a pint with Farage and that is about it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    watford30 said:

My advice to Leavers.

This helpful 'advice' stuff is really quite sweet, and not in the least bit patronising. Keep it up sonny.
    Supposedly all the Tories will forgive and forget after the referendum and everything will go back to normal...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    As others have probably already said, Barnet and Camden could be difficult for Labour to hold this year.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I think I might break a rib laughing if that was the result.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

HYUFD said:
    Yet the liberal media seem to be hoping Trump loses...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

HYUFD said:
    Oh yes - much more so.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

watford30 said:

My advice to Leavers.

Supposedly all the Tories will forgive and forget after the referendum and everything will go back to normal...
    Corbyn is the great unifier.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John_N4 said:

Danny565 said:

Sanctimonious Paddy.

To be fair to Ashdown he more than doubled the LDs number of MPs in 1997, his last election as leader, to 46 from the 22 Steel and Owen won in 1987
    Has he eaten his hat yet? :lol:
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

watford30 said:

My advice to Leavers.

"Normal" being feuding over europe...
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

watford30 said:

My advice to Leavers.

The Tories stand every chance of splitting down the middle, particularly if one side continue patronising the other with 'advice'. Or telling them not to rock the boat like those who did in the 90's, and sit down quietly like good little children.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh yes - much more so.
    Livingstone just described Cruz as "the American Taliban" on this week. Sounds about right.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

RobD said:
    I think I might break a rib laughing if that was the result.
    Factor in Shy Tories and we're closer to 40 seats... :p
  • Options
    Dead referee 'appointed' to officiate Nigerian league match

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36106041
  • Options
    Interesting point of view:

"I am often asked why I, a Christian libertarian and intellectual, would publicly support Donald Trump, a man of no fixed ideology, no apparent religious beliefs, multiple marriages, visible ties to the Clintons, and whose taste and sophistication tends to resemble that of a nouveau riche rhinoceros. It is a reasonable question. After all, how can anyone support a candidate whose public statements are, to put it mildly, inconsistent—when they are not completely self-contradictory.

The answer is as simple as it is conclusive and convincing. Donald Trump is the only candidate in either major party whose personal interests are aligned with those of the American public rather than with the interests of the anti-nationalist elite who see America as nothing more than lines on a map and Americans as nothing more than 300 million economic units in the global economy."

http://heatst.com/politics/vox-day-of-gamergate-why-i-support-donald-trump/
  • Options
    edited April 2016

HYUFD said:
    Trump 2016, Cruz 2020, Hillary's best chance of two terms
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

"I am often asked why I, a Christian libertarian and intellectual, would publicly support Donald Trump, a man of no fixed ideology, no apparent religious beliefs, multiple marriages, visible ties to the Clintons, and whose taste and sophistication tends to resemble that of a nouveau riche rhinoceros. It is a reasonable question. After all, how can anyone support a candidate whose public statements are, to put it mildly, inconsistent—when they are not completely self-contradictory.

The answer is as simple as it is conclusive and convincing. Donald Trump is the only candidate in either major party whose personal interests are aligned with those of the American public rather than with the interests of the anti-nationalist elite who see America as nothing more than lines on a map and Americans as nothing more than 300 million economic units in the global economy."

Isn't it obvious? He's not a member of the same multi-culti, PC, leftoid kleptocracy that have infested almost all parties in almost all countries in the West.

He's a beacon of hope for all people who wish to shake off the traitors who have brought us so low.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

Evangelicals were expected to support Cruz, but seem to be breaking for Trump.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't it obvious? He's not a member of the same multi-culti, PC, leftoid kleptocracy that have infested almost all parties in almost all countries in the West.

He's a beacon of hope for all people who wish to shake off the traitors who have brought us so low.
    The fact Le Pen has endorsed Trump says all about the nationalists backing him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Springtime for Hillary?
  • Options
    Just one of several options that were discussed.

We have had instructions today to implement our strike plans for Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Springtime for Hillary?
    Certainly she is lucky in her opponents, if it was Rubio or Kasich she faced she would be facing her autumn, goodnight
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

Just one of several options that were discussed.

We have had instructions today to implement our strike plans for Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Don't have too much fun now ;)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    RodCrosby said:

This is what you feel yourself, not just what you think the guy is thinking? Are there other Trump supporters on the site (LondonBob?)? - would be interesting to get a guest column from one of you on how you see it working out.
  • Options
    Confirms that it's all about the money, and patient care and welfare is an irrelevance.

I wonder what employment they're qualified for outside medicine? Must be some stiff competition these days. And the mortgages on those nice Middle Class houses won't pay themselves.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

And yet it is Cruz who seems more extreme!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

And yet it is Cruz who seems more extreme!
    Not on immigration though
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

This is what you feel yourself, not just what you think the guy is thinking? Are there other Trump supporters on the site (LondonBob?)? - would be interesting to get a guest column from one of you on how you see it working out.
    He will lose to Hillary, but apart from his lack of real policies and shooting from the hip, Trump is fairly establishment centrist by US standards.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Rumors, I mean rumours, are The Sunil on Sunday is on the verge of endorsing Trump!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh yes - much more so.
    Livingstone just described Cruz as "the American Taliban" on this week. Sounds about right.
    Sorkin did it first (and better) about the Tea Party
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I doubt Trump can actually win the election, although he'll probably do a lot better than most people expect. The main reason is female voters choosing Hillary because they want to see the first woman president. Simple but probably true.
  • Options

Are there other Trump supporters on the site (LondonBob?)? - would be interesting to get a guest column from one of you on how you see it working out.

January 20th 2017: "Welcome to the Oval Office, President Trump..."
    January 21th 2017: Looks bored, taps the desk with a pen
    January 22th 2017: "Wall built yet?". "Er, no,Mr President..."
    January 23th 2017: smacks lips, looks round, hums softly
    January 24th 2017: "Fuck it. Let's inaugurate 'The Purge'..."
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Are there other Trump supporters on the site (LondonBob?)? - would be interesting to get a guest column from one of you on how you see it working out.

"For 12 hours, all AV Threads are legal!"
  • Options

viewcode said:

"For 12 hours, all AV Threads are legal!"
    "...This is not a test. This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the Annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S. Government. Voting systems of class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other threads are restricted. Government officials of ranking 10 have been granted immunity from the Purge and shall not be harmed. Commencing at the siren, any and all votes, including FPTP, AV, AV+, PR and "Oh just let him do it", will be legal for 12 continuous hours. Emergency voting services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning until 7 a.m., when The Purge concludes. Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn. May God be with you all..."
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    CDU average poll rating down to 33.7% across the seven pollsters:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Thanks to Nick for flagging up this excellent site.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Dixie said:

It is difficult to forecast the London Assembly Member elections as the Mayoralty is clearly much more important. Therefore, the opinion polls only cover the Mayoralty and the two elections throw up different results. The YouGov opinion poll out today was startling. It shows a bigger margin for Khan than both Labour and Tory private polls are predicting.

Re; Assembly, historically, even when Ken in 2000 got about double Tory Steve Norris's vote, The Conservatives held Merton & Wandsworth etc. so Labour are unlikely to unseat us. That doesn't stop we blues from being nervous. We are working really hard on the London election and Labour are not, mainly due to their left wing issues and the fact that many of them don't like Khan. Labour Merton/Wandsworth candidate is doing sod all, which I hope continues.

There is a quiet Bradley effect out there, not enough to overcome 60/40, however 60/40 has not been seen before. Things may be solidifying for Khan but I don't see it. Tory data versus Labour bluster and I think Tories will get 2-4% more than opinion polls. If Cameron & co can keep quiet for a few weeks as well then Tories will do better. This remains a GOTV election and most Labour supporters are in Inner London, where their don't vote as often.

Interested to hear other people's views.

Dixie: Are you the same chap who forecast that the Oldham by-election was "close" ?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    O/T and last, probably

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3552777/Why-did-Radio-4-vile-prime-time-Majesty-s-birthday-BBC-listeners-stunned-programme-mocks-Queen-s-sex-life-makes-reference-toilet.html

What I like best about this story (which is the apotheosis of "political correctness gone mad", by the way) is that the dear old DM repeatedly criticises David Baddiel for tweeting the link to the programme, while hosting the offensive audio itself on the DM website. Tremendous work :)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

O/T and last, probably

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3552777/Why-did-Radio-4-vile-prime-time-Majesty-s-birthday-BBC-listeners-stunned-programme-mocks-Queen-s-sex-life-makes-reference-toilet.html

What I like best about this story (which is the apotheosis of "political correctness gone mad", by the way) is that the dear old DM repeatedly criticises David Baddiel for tweeting the link to the programme, while hosting the offensive audio itself on the DM website. Tremendous work :)

the most stunning thing about the story being that anyone actually listens to R4 comedy
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    A good reason for the Labour party to distance themselves as much as possible from the Tory referendum .
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    weejonnie said:

31 possible's 62 potential's 339 estimate's 34 should's 51 assume's

It's pathetic.

He's nervous, because he doesn't like the conclusions and fears it might get traction.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    surbiton said:

Dixie said:

It is difficult to forecast the London Assembly Member elections as the Mayoralty is clearly much more important. Therefore, the opinion polls only cover the Mayoralty and the two elections throw up different results. The YouGov opinion poll out today was startling. It shows a bigger margin for Khan than both Labour and Tory private polls are predicting.

Re; Assembly, historically, even when Ken in 2000 got about double Tory Steve Norris's vote, The Conservatives held Merton & Wandsworth etc. so Labour are unlikely to unseat us. That doesn't stop we blues from being nervous. We are working really hard on the London election and Labour are not, mainly due to their left wing issues and the fact that many of them don't like Khan. Labour Merton/Wandsworth candidate is doing sod all, which I hope continues.

There is a quiet Bradley effect out there, not enough to overcome 60/40, however 60/40 has not been seen before. Things may be solidifying for Khan but I don't see it. Tory data versus Labour bluster and I think Tories will get 2-4% more than opinion polls. If Cameron & co can keep quiet for a few weeks as well then Tories will do better. This remains a GOTV election and most Labour supporters are in Inner London, where their don't vote as often.

Interested to hear other people's views.

Dixie: Are you the same chap who forecast that the Oldham by-election was "close" ?
    No, I said the opposite. That the public noise was opposite of what private polling was saying.
This discussion has been closed.