Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PM’s attack on Khan, EURef polling & betting, and the l

Comments

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    rcs1000 said:

Daniel Hannan
    Daniel Hannan – Verified account ‏@DanHannanMEP

Lord Rose admits that #Brexit will mean higher wages, Lord Ashdown admits it will mean cheaper food. And that's the *Remain* side.

3:42 p.m. - 20 Apr 2016
    451 RETWEETS287 LIKES.

What about steel?
    I think clothes would be the other potential biggie, no?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Its the endless doom mongering about health that makes me press mute - its relentless ticking off.

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Simon Jenkins on bad news:

"I used to believe that bad news would boost the morale of ordinary citizens. So much misfortune and misery in the outside world would be reassuring. As long as we personally are not experiencing an earthquake, a pogrom or matrimonial violence, we are doing better than most. Evil gossip about the lives of others reflects well on our own dull selves. A celebrity fallen from grace restores balance to the world. Fate comes to every Icarus.

Now I am not so sure. I recently looked back at the files of old newspapers. While good news sometimes read as propaganda, there was far less of today’s relentless, 24/7 misery. The old journalistic rule of thumb, that bad news should be leavened with good, has died. Terrorism incidents are turned into week-long sagas of hysteria. This can only feed insecurity and risk-aversion."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/bad-news-media-misery

When the recent drinking guidelines came out I actually checked the research- someone my age, drinking two bottles of wine a day increases their chance of early death by about 9% - which, were I want to do so struck me as a pretty reasonable trade off!
    Two bottles of wine a day is quite a lot.
    Indeed - no wonder the NHS struggles - and I always thought of Carlotta as a sober type!
    Generally I am - the comment was not on my alcohol consumption, but on the government's arbitrarily low alcohol limits - given the modestly increased risk of early death from drinking titanic quantities of alcohol.....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Trump 49 .. Cruz 31 .. Kasich 16
    Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/2016ReutersPolitical4202016.pdf
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2016

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Its the endless doom mongering about health that makes me press mute - its relentless ticking off.

AndyJS said:

O/T:

"I used to believe that bad news would boost the morale of ordinary citizens. So much misfortune and misery in the outside world would be reassuring. As long as we personally are not experiencing an earthquake, a pogrom or matrimonial violence, we are doing better than most. Evil gossip about the lives of others reflects well on our own dull selves. A celebrity fallen from grace restores balance to the world. Fate comes to every Icarus.

Now I am not so sure. I recently looked back at the files of old newspapers. While good news sometimes read as propaganda, there was far less of today’s relentless, 24/7 misery. The old journalistic rule of thumb, that bad news should be leavened with good, has died. Terrorism incidents are turned into week-long sagas of hysteria. This can only feed insecurity and risk-aversion."

When the recent drinking guidelines came out I actually checked the research- someone my age, drinking two bottles of wine a day increases their chance of early death by about 9% - which, were I want to do so struck me as a pretty reasonable trade off!
    Indeed - no wonder the NHS struggles - and I always thought of Carlotta as a sober type!
    Generally I am - the comment was not on my alcohol consumption, but on the government's arbitrarily low alcohol limits - given the modestly increased risk of early death from drinking titanic quantities of alcohol.....
    I see. Unfortunately in expat Spain I see too many Brits over imbibe that I tend to favour the draconian guidelines myself. Now the occasional joint I am more liberal about :)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    edited April 2016

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to let everyone know, I'm just doing some server maintenance, so there may be a some downtime. Thanks, Robert

Well that was all very painless; lots of updates installed, and basically zero downtime.

Back to work.
    Take note mossack fonseca...
    Early on in my running politicalbetting, I twice got hacked; I was running out of date software, and didn't subscribe to the bugtraq mailing list. I'd done nothing to harden the site either.

(It's amazing; renaming 'curl' and 'wget', or simply disallowing them to non-root users hardens your installation quite considerably, as does a little playing with the firewall to prevent outgoing requests to anything except the official update sites).

I'm now pretty careful, and (touch wood), it's been nine or ten years since I had problems.

I would also note, that I'd never do anything as stupid as to run a webserver behind the firewall.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

felix said:

Still agreeing to disagree. I think it's in our interests to Remain.

You may or may not be right [spoiler - you're wrong], but we're talking about Cameron's priorities. The consistent pattern of behaviour indicates that despite his many statements to the contrary, he puts remaining in the EU above the interests of the UK.
    Lol - depends on what you think are the interests of the UK. On which we disagree. Is it groundhog day or have I just had too much of this glorious Spanish (EU) sun? :)
    Sun or subsidy, one or the other.
    No-one pays for me - I pay all my taxes to UK and Spain and my health insurance here - although the latter is much cheaper and more comprehensive than anything in the UK.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,303

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Two things to say on this. 9% is quite a high number when you consider you are talking about death! But perhaps more importantly, dying doesn't cost NHS a penny - the process of being ill, being treated, becoming ill again etc., is what costs. So something that causes diabetes like heavy drinking is going to cost the NHS.

Having said all that I think the new guidelines are ridiculous, as they are so low that no one is going to pay a blind bit of notice.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

After days of the Leave price sticking rigidly at 2.70 on Betfair, it has moved to 2.94 (last traded). Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Yes, Leave has gone most of the way back to where it stood at the weekend.

I saw your post (BTL) yesterday in which you set out three reasons why Remain would win. The first was that you expected high turnout. I didn't get a chance to comment at the time but I wondered what you meant by high. My thinking is that it will approach GE levels but won't exceed them.
    Why will it be well into the 60 percentages?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Cyclefree said:

I wonder whether Labour were wise to make such a big thing of Cameron's comments on Sadiq Khan? It's always difficult in cases like this to judge whether to let the attack pass with only a mild rebuttal, or respond with all guns blazing, as Labour have in this case. The risk of the latter, obviously, is that it draws further attention to the issue. The risk of the former is that it could mean that it looks as though you are implicitly accepting at least some of the attack.

In this particular case, I think it was an error for Labour to cry 'Racist!', as it gave Zac an opportunity (which he used very well) to respond that it's not racist to be concerned about extremism. But responding vigorously to the extremist-link attack was probably sensible on Labour's part.

It probably doesn't matter much anyway. PBers will be collecting their 33/1s, I think.

Khan will win so yes it probably doesn't matter much.

But long-term I think it is foolish of Labour to react in the way they did. It makes them look as if they want to shut down debate on any association with extremists. If one can't ask legitimate questions about why senior Labour people always seem to associate with extremist Muslims and not the liberal peaceful non-extremist Muslims they're always talking about, it risks creating the perception that Labour thinks these are the only Muslims worth talking to, that these are the Muslims who represent the community. And that does a grave disservice to the non-extremists and does give more oxygen to the extremists. And it is but a short step from there to thinking that Labour is on the side of the extremists. That is the risk for Labour.

The nightmare for Labour - and pray God this does not happen - is if there is a terrorist attack and it turns out that there is a link between the perpetrators and all these radical imams and others senior Labour figures have been associating with.

There are plenty of non-extreme Muslims around who would be splendid role models and could advise Labour. Why does Labour persist on spurning them and being friends with the extremists, with those who advocate boycotts of fellow Muslims, who cheer the murder of people for arguing against blasphemy, who support convicted terrorists etc? The Tories may not win the battle but they may win the longer war. And Labour seem intent on helping them.

Very nicely put, Cyclefree, could not agree more. Outside of liberal London, I wonder what the broader public think of Labour MPs screaming 'racist' at the PM. The Muslim block vote shapes Labour thinking far more than any of us realise. Anyway, although I dislike Sadiq Khan for many reasons, he has played the magnanimous 'victim' to perfection.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Rather nice day.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Pennsylvania !

Delegate list in full:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NfzyoWfwqjrYbc5Xqb9lyerxztNxLuZDzwPBarYZJFA/edit#gid=0

Cruz alot more organised than Kasich it seems.

Some signs of organisation from Trump, but I doubt he'll match Cruz's microtargetting
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Wanderer said:

After days of the Leave price sticking rigidly at 2.70 on Betfair, it has moved to 2.94 (last traded). Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

I saw your post (BTL) yesterday in which you set out three reasons why Remain would win. The first was that you expected high turnout. I didn't get a chance to comment at the time but I wondered what you meant by high. My thinking is that it will approach GE levels but won't exceed them.
    Why will it not?

AV Referendum got 42.2% and that is of far less interest than whether we are in the EU or not.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Wanderer said:

The exact levels of turnout will depend on things which aren't yet clear. If the referendum looks like being very close, turnout will be raised by that - on this occasion every vote really does count.

The public are going to be bombarded with information about the referendum nonstop for the next two months, during which time politicians on both sides are going to be screaming at them that the vote is incredibly important. It's inconceivable that's not going to drive up turnout.

I'm expecting turnout to be in the 60s and potentially in the high 60s.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: Criticism of Vote Leave EU £350m per week claim and response https://t.co/Xz19jnM41l
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,398

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

AV Referendum got 42.2% and that is of far less interest than whether we are in the EU or not.
    Sunil J. Prasannan is calling for a total and complete shut-down of AV threads entering PB.com, until our forum's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Criticism of Vote Leave EU £350m per week claim and response https://t.co/Xz19jnM41l

According to my calculations, which are sometimes right, should be £163 million per week, assuming a net contribution of £8.5 bn per annum (2015).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Daniel Hannan
    Daniel Hannan – Verified account ‏@DanHannanMEP

Lord Rose admits that #Brexit will mean higher wages, Lord Ashdown admits it will mean cheaper food. And that's the *Remain* side.

3:42 p.m. - 20 Apr 2016
    451 RETWEETS287 LIKES.

What about steel?
    David Steel is yet to comment.
    Arf :lol:
  • Options
    FPT early on:

@Sunil should be the official LEAVE
    campaign.

Your cheque is in the post, Hertsmere :lol:
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Scott_P said:

According to my calculations, which are sometimes right, should be £163 million per week, assuming a net contribution of £8.5 bn per annum (2015).
    Leave should publish a projected EU payment figure for 2030, and be done with it.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

I think TC's theory - low turnout favours Leave - is right.

If we see turnout below around 58%, it'll be Leave.
    If we see turnout above 60%, it'll be Remain.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Scott_P said:

Leave should publish a projected EU payment figure for 2030, and be done with it.
    To put in context, India (with twice the population of the EU) gets only £200 million per YEAR!
  • Options

watford30 said:

Mr. Eagles, a narrow lead is not what most people expected. Cameron and Osborne are reaping tomorrow's harvest to claim a feast today, but there'll be a Conservative famine tomorrow*.

Take people for granted and they either don't turn out or move to other groups (cf Mr. Fear et al).

*(Probably 2025, assuming Labour stops being mad when it comes to leaders).

I'm taking nothing for granted.

Just remember all those voters Cameron pissed off by introducing same sex marriage, ultimately helped him win over more net voters
    What about party members?
    They are broadly frustrated not by the PM but the decision of some to re-enact the 90s.
    If that's the view of party managers, they're seriously out of touch. Or deluding themselves.
    TSE is trying to send me a message.
    Just to cheer you up. Our firm has its first Brexit contingency planning meeting at 2pm
    We've already done that at Crossrail: no material impact.

We are Europe's largest construction project with a huge supply chain.
    Looking forward to being able to ride main-line size trains through central London east to west!

Keep up the good work!
  • Options

It's shut up the pro-Cruz NeverTrump nitwit penning the POTUS columns in the Times.

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

He has some decent contests coming up in the run up to the biggy in California though (Though they're small states and not worth so many delegates)

By then I think it will be generally accepted that Trump is the presumptive nominee. Cruz cannot credibly fight down to the wire with no prospect of overtaking Trump, let alone getting to 1237.
    Trump getting 60% in liberal New York must have been a bit of a wake-up call for those who are hoping he won't make it to November as nominee.
    Isn't Cruz actually more extreme than Trump?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,529

Wanderer said:

The exact levels of turnout will depend on things which aren't yet clear. If the referendum looks like being very close, turnout will be raised by that - on this occasion every vote really does count.

The public are going to be bombarded with information about the referendum nonstop for the next two months, during which time politicians on both sides are going to be screaming at them that the vote is incredibly important. It's inconceivable that's not going to drive up turnout.

I agree with all of this.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Pennsylvania !

Delegate list in full:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NfzyoWfwqjrYbc5Xqb9lyerxztNxLuZDzwPBarYZJFA/edit#gid=0

Some signs of organisation from Trump, but I doubt he'll match Cruz's microtargetting

Oh wow, what a spreadsheet.

Looks more positive for Trump than I thought. Looks like he can count on at least 50%, maybe even more.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I wonder if we'll see a phenomenon of the Scottish vote return, namely couples deliberately splitting their votes, one Aye, one Nay, because they can't decide.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    LondonBob said:

What amused me was Trump's 80% in Staten Island, Italian-Americans just go nuts for Trump. Whilst I think Trump will make NY competitive, forcing the Democrats to campaign in a very expensive media market, it is NJ that might be a dark horse. Romney got a pathetic share of the white vote there and there is also a big Guido community on the Jersey shore.

There are a few Plains West and Rocky Mountain West states coming up that Cruz should do well in. Problem is they have very few to no Mormons, and they are Primaries too. Also there might be a rally round the leader effect. Trump won a few counties in Idaho that border Montana, the ones without Mormons, even though it was caucus. I don't see Nebraska, Montana and South Dakota as sure things for Cruz, Montana I could see an upset.

New York competitive? You seriously have to be joking.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

LondonBob said:

What amused me was Trump's 80% in Staten Island, Italian-Americans just go nuts for Trump. Whilst I think Trump will make NY competitive, forcing the Democrats to campaign in a very expensive media market, it is NJ that might be a dark horse. Romney got a pathetic share of the white vote there and there is also a big Guido community on the Jersey shore.

There are a few Plains West and Rocky Mountain West states coming up that Cruz should do well in. Problem is they have very few to no Mormons, and they are Primaries too. Also there might be a rally round the leader effect. Trump won a few counties in Idaho that border Montana, the ones without Mormons, even though it was caucus. I don't see Nebraska, Montana and South Dakota as sure things for Cruz, Montana I could see an upset.

LondonBob is sadly not offering odds on New York.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

Clinton really accelerating away now, presumably because of the New York results news cycle - huge lead over Sanders in PA and crushing even Kasich in this national poll.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

Clinton really accelerating away now, presumably because of the New York results news cycle - huge lead over Sanders in PA and crushing even Kasich in this national poll.
    Why are the repubs even bothering, if that poll is right.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

I think it will be in the 60s. People will be relentlessly told that it's important and closer to the time people will start to twig to the fact that it could lead to a change of Prime Minister.

Set against that, it seems unlikely that people who were not motivated to vote to choose the government would vote in the referendum. I can see a reason why they might - there are no safe seats and every vote counts - but it is still a stretch, imo. But 65% I can well believe in.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

1974 GE February = 78.8%, 1974 Oct GE = 72.8%
    1975 June referendum on EC = 64.5%
    2015 May GE = 65.1% Therefore 2016 June referendum =
    a) 47% if drop is same as Feb74 to 1975 or
    b) 58% if drop same as from Oct74 o 1975

A 60%+ for June 23rd referendum, in start of the holiday period, with the Labour+ voters less than enthused, looks optimistic.

Will this referendum fire us up? zzzzzzzzzzz Maybe if Labour voters want to send Cameron and Osborne a message?

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight
    Barbican Chief - Brexit could damage capitals arts scene.

Getting sick of this. Every day another "the worlds gonna end" if you do it. Remains campaign is just ridiculous now.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Getting sick of this. Every day another "the worlds gonna end" if you do it. Remains campaign is just ridiculous now.

Yes, because outside the EU there's no 'art'.

Presumably they're on the receiving end of UK taxpayers money 'rinsed' via Brussels.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mr. Eagles, a narrow lead is not what most people expected. Cameron and Osborne are reaping tomorrow's harvest to claim a feast today, but there'll be a Conservative famine tomorrow*.

Take people for granted and they either don't turn out or move to other groups (cf Mr. Fear et al).

*(Probably 2025, assuming Labour stops being mad when it comes to leaders).

Labour would be comfortably ahead now, if they had an adequate leader. Cameron's and Osborne's ratings are not good, right now.
    This is simply not true , historically speaking . The government has only been in power 1 year . People have gone from a year ago giving a smile , wink and nod to Conservative canvassers , to giving a shifty , eye voiding look and sometimes a scowl . This time next year it will have moved on to glaring looks , outright hostility and nasty comments , Then Labour should be comfortably ahead
    Realistically and historically speaking the government has been in place for 6 years (as of next month).

The Prime Minister has been in place for 6 years.
    The Chancellor has been in place for 6 years.
    The Home Secretary has been in place for 6 years.

It is absurd to pretend we are 12 months into this government. We've lost a small part of what used to be the government but Blair had bigger reshuffles than the changes caused by election 2015.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

A 60%+ for June 23rd referendum, in start of the holiday period, with the Labour+ voters less than enthused, looks optimistic.

Will this referendum fire us up? zzzzzzzzzzz Maybe if Labour voters want to send Cameron and Osborne a message?

Against that, the '75 referendum was a done deal. It wasn't even close, and that will have depressed turnout. This one will be on a knife-edge, which will increase turnout.

It's not school holiday time, so I reckon 60-62% turnout, and if it does surprise, it'll be on the upside.
  • Options

JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

And POP goes Kasich's only selling point for himself as nominee.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

I'd say the EU is more important today than the EC was in 1975.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

And POP goes Kasich's only selling point for himself as nominee.
    I've never got Kasich.

HE IS A PROVEN LOSER

• Options

JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 51 .. Sanders 45

Clinton 44 .. Trump 33
    Clinton 42 .. Cruz 32
    Clinton 40 .. Kasich 32
    Clinton 42 .. Ryan 30

The national numbers are pretty stable and PA is a closed primary more favourable to Clinton. However the Kasich matchup numbers are far better than previous.
  • Options
    A link to that Evening Standard article about the impact of Brexit on the arts:

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/exhibitions/sir-nicholas-kenyon-cutting-our-ties-with-the-eu-could-seriously-hurt-our-thriving-arts-scene-a3230506.html

"The contribution Europe has made to the arts in the UK is significant: free movement of labour makes collaboration far easier to realise by allowing artists and production teams to tour between countries without being subject to the bureaucracy of individual nations’ visa systems and enables London to retain a critical mass of creative people from across Europe, maintaining the capital’s position at the heart of the continent’s creative economy."
  • Options
    Meanwhile, intra-Conservative harmony on the referendum continues:

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/722528821480681474
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,249

Mr. Royale, I wonder if we'll see a phenomenon of the Scottish vote return, namely couples deliberately splitting their votes, one Aye, one Nay, because they can't decide.

Was that a thing?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Artists impression of post brexit UK...

http://adyhowes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/caveman-300x202.gif
  • Options
    Some EU referendum turnout numbers.

Single European Act, 1986
    Denmark - 74.8% turnout

Maastricht, 1989-1992
    Italy - 81%
    Ireland - 57%
    France - 70%
    Denmark - 83%

Enlargement, 1995
    Austria - 82%
    Finland - 71%
    Sweden - 83%

To Join EU, 1995
    Norway - 89%

Treaty of Amsterdam, 1998
    Ireland - 56%
    Denmark - 76%

Conclusion: buy turnout if it's available
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Sullen acquiescence and/or burning deep deep resentment for a major segment of the electorate will be the consequence of REMAIN.
    This will lead to even greater disengagement from politics and politicians and greater contempt for the country's and the EUs political institutions. This willbe deeply unhealthy for the social and political health of the nation with whether justifiably or not those people not acknowledging the legitimacy of their ultimate rulers.

A corrosive effect with many people in the demos having no sense of respect for the political system which they see no mechanism or hope to change is dangerous and unwelcome.

I believe that a lot of REMAINERS genuinely do not understand the way this vote is bound up with many people's self identity. Their sense of self and of tribe. If they are told that their tribe eg UK or England has been absorbed into or superseded by a larger tribe they will not simply shrug their ahoulders accept it and transfer allegiance to a new tribe. It just won't happen. Disengagement from the entire process as irrelevant is what will happen.
    Those Conservatives who blithely assume that it will be a return to business as usual post REMAIN with leavers trotting loyally out to vote for the party are in my view very optimistic. A plague on all their houses will get a lot of votes.
    Perhaps 15% turnout next Euro election?
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467

Pulpstar said:

Pennsylvania !

Delegate list in full:

Oh wow, what a spreadsheet.

Looks more positive for Trump than I thought. Looks like he can count on at least 50%, maybe even more.
    District/State winner works too.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

How the thriving arts scene in New York survives without membership of the EU is a mystery.

London pre 1975 must have been a dull place. What did people do in the evenings?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

Our propensity to vote has dropped from the 70 percents to the 60 percents at GEs so legitimate to expect significant drop in ec referendum. After all one Political Betting commandment from OGH, is that voters do not care much about the EC........ As evidenced by long term Ipsos Mori research.
  • Options
    I know how Remain can win a landslide.

Make every voter attend a near 3 hour Brexit contingency planning meeting.

#SpeakingFromExperience
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, not sure I consider free movement of artists to be an argument for letting QMV imposed rules upon us.

Not to mention it is actually possible to travel to countries not in the EU.
  • Options
    @daveoleary: In the sober world of statistics, this is pretty much @UKStatsAuth telling @vote_leave "stop lying, liars" #EUref https://t.co/JEUI4eM0cm
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

How the thriving arts scene in New York survives without membership of the EU is a mystery.
    It's a mystery...this claim is in the same basket as the football one. There is no way world class artists / performers are going to be restricted in any way.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Iceland produces Bjork, Uk produces Atomic Kitten, Ireland B*witched and Boyzone.

Vote leave !

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@daveoleary: In the sober world of statistics, this is pretty much @UKStatsAuth telling @vote_leave "stop lying, liars" #EUref https://t.co/JEUI4eM0cm

Working hard for your £7.20 an hour.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

We are going to get this daily for the next 2 months, particularly in London. Not much that can be done about it.

Leave need a grid to get themselves in the headlines 2-3 days a week too.

Most people get their news from the BBC and the BBC news website, and they have no interest in helping.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

People will literally stop painting if deprived of the artistic benediction of the European Union.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

London pre 1975 must have been a dull place. What did people do in the evenings?
    It was. Only 3 channels of TV FFS.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2016
    Remain now claiming that Luvvies will suffer. It was footballers a couple of weeks ago.

The Ashdown/Rose quotes are gold.

Vote Leave for Higher Wages and Cheaper food.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the Labour front bench on why the low paid's wages should be suppressed while their cost of living is inflated for the sake of the EU.

• Options

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

People will literally stop painting if deprived of the artistic benediction of the European Union.
    Hunger will force them to eat the paint.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    watford30 said:

Scott_P said:

Working hard for your £7.20 an hour.
    Overpaid if you ask me.
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Iceland produces Bjork, Uk produces Atomic Kitten, Ireland B*witched and Boyzone.

Vote leave !

Iceland, EFTA/EEA member, produces Bjork.

Albania, which is in neither, produces Elvana Gjata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8HFF9pFC4
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Sell those B&Q shares pronto ....
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/queen_uk/status/723178657917853697

LOL...you so know that is what she was really thinking...what Philip was thinking is not suitable a family website.
  • Options
    PA By Region

Philadelphia: Trump 46 Cruz 36
    Northeast: Trump 50 Cruz 24
    Northwest: Trump 51 Cruz 25

Central: Trump 33 Cruz 27

Allegheny: Kasich 41 Trump 35 CD 14
    Southeast: Kasich 36 Trump 31 CD 4, 16
    Southwest: Cruz/Trump 26 CD 18, 12, 9
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Without the EU we would never have had the Beatles, Led Zepplin or the Stones - probably.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    chestnut said:

Remain now claiming that Luvvies will suffer. It was footballers a couple of weeks ago.
    I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the Labour front bench on why the low paid's wages should be suppressed while their cost of living is inflated for the sake of the EU.

and with 3 million immigrants from REMAIN its

Vote Leave for Higher Wages, Cheaper food, cheaper Housing, Quicker GP appointments, Less crowded Roads, Room on trains, Less Begging, Fewer Prisoners, Less Crime etc etc

As someone said earlier , where is LEAVE's Grid of Announcements?
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    OllyT said:

LondonBob said:

Around 10% margin, no problem. Long Island and Westchester going Republican.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/hillary-could-lose-to-trump-in-democratic-new-york/
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Without the EU we would never have had the Beatles, Led Zepplin or the Stones - probably.

Or 'Allo 'Allo.

Hashtag cultural desert.
  • Options

chestnut said:

and with 3 million immigrants from REMAIN its

Vote Leave for Higher Wages, Cheaper food, cheaper Housing, Quicker GP appointments, Less crowded Roads, Room on trains, Less Begging, Fewer Prisoners, Less Crime etc etc

As someone said earlier , where is LEAVE's Grid of Announcements?
    Where is LEAVE's campaign? Where are the adverts? the posters?
  • Options
    As someone who regularly gets to hear large quantities of German and Hungarian pop, I have to say that sparing my eardrums from having that inflicted on me is among the stronger reasons I can think of for Brexit.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Without the USA we would not have had the punk ideas from the USA in early 70s. What did the EU provide? Plastic Bertrand ffs?
  • Options
    I feel pop music Brexit related thread coming up.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/exhibitions/sir-nicholas-kenyon-cutting-our-ties-with-the-eu-could-seriously-hurt-our-thriving-arts-scene-a3230506.html

"The contribution Europe has made to the arts in the UK is significant: free movement of labour makes collaboration far easier to realise by allowing artists and production teams to tour between countries without being subject to the bureaucracy of individual nations’ visa systems and enables London to retain a critical mass of creative people from across Europe, maintaining the capital’s position at the heart of the continent’s creative economy."

If we Brexit the water will go down the plug hole the opposite way.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Why will it not?

Our propensity to vote has dropped from the 70 percents to the 60 percents at GEs so legitimate to expect significant drop in ec referendum. After all one Political Betting commandment from OGH, is that voters do not care much about the EC........ As evidenced by long term Ipsos Mori research.
    That's a fair point. There are arguments both ways, I think.

When I say that turnout will be in the 60s I am indeed saying that this referendum will seem to be more important than the one in 75 did. I think the campaign will be louder and more insistent. The EU is a higher profile entity than the EEC was. And referndums themselves are no longer alien-seeming.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

If we Brexit the water will go down the plug hole the opposite way.
    There won't be any water if we leave the EU.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Without the USA we would not have had the punk ideas from the USA in early 70s. What did the EU provide? Plastic Bertrand ffs?
    Can, Kraftwerk and ABBA for starters.

David Guetta has been omnipresent in recent years.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Didn't ABBA's heyday pre-date Sweden's entry to the EU?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

I'm guessing none of those musicians has found success outside the EU.
  • Options

I feel pop music Brexit related thread coming up.

Leave in Silence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVu6Wihbp4Q
  • Options
    The CEP has poured scorn on the Treasury's assessment of the risks of Brexit:

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/BREXIT/abstract.asp?index=5017

"Overly cautious assumptions in the Treasury’s recent report on the long-run consequences for the UK economy of leaving the European Union (EU) mean that it has probably underestimated the economic costs."
  • Options
    LEAVE only need to point to Eurovision.

The envy and loathing of Britain's vastly superior modern music heritage oozes from its every pore.

They don;t just like to vote against us. They love it.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The envy and loathing of Britain's vastly superior modern music heritage oozes from its every pore.

UK had more Eurovision victories pre-1973 than after?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

dd they spark punk rock?
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Very strange. Labour seem to have decided no party figure should come on #C4News to discuss our election expenses allegations. I wonder why
  • Options
    The Standard article is really talking about "high culture" I think, classical music in particular. There certainly is a fantastic range of international musicians performing in London and across the UK these days. Whether EU membership has any bearing on it I have no idea.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

If you look at it it's actually an argument in favour of open borders immigration.

Which is an entirely different matter, although one worthy of debate.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    LondonBob said:

OllyT said:

LondonBob said:

Around 10% margin, no problem. Long Island and Westchester going Republican.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/hillary-could-lose-to-trump-in-democratic-new-york/
    I don't think so. I live in Westchester and it trends more and more Democratic each year. The only success the GOP has had locally in recent years is taking and holding the County Executive ("Mayor") for the last two terms, and that's pretty much down to his trying to keep property taxes down. As to how Trump goes down around here - I shall quote the Fox News-watching owner of the barber's shop I use "He's a f***ing nutjob!"
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    ABBA Waterloo 1974
    Sweden accession to EC 1995
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @AlastairMeeks

'without being subject to the bureaucracy of individual nations’ visa systems'

Is Kenyon just ignorant of the fact that apart from COMECON countries there were no visa requirements to travel in Europe before we joined the EU or is it just another scare story ?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    geoffw said:

ABBA Waterloo 1974
    Sweden accession to EC 1995

Waterloo would make a good anthem for Remain actually. "Couldn't escape if I wanted to... Knowing my fate is to be with you..."
  • Options

TGOHF said:

watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

dd they spark punk rock?
    Kraftwerk were an essential building block of electronic music. You could make a decent case for them being the most influential band of the last 50 years.
  • Options

Kraftwerk were an essential building block of electronic music. You could make a decent case for them being the most influential band of the last 50 years.

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/722319316306305024
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@AlastairMeeks

'without being subject to the bureaucracy of individual nations’ visa systems'

Is Kenyon just ignorant of the fact that apart from COMECON countries there were no visa requirements to travel in Europe before we joined the EU or is it just another scare story ?

The appeal of Brexit for many of your fellow leavers is to be able to reintroduce restrictions on freedom of movement.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Wanderer said:

The Standard article is really talking about "high culture" I think, classical music in particular. There certainly is a fantastic range of international musicians performing in London and across the UK these days. Whether EU membership has any bearing on it I have no idea.

London had a fantastic range of classical music concerts, before the UK joined the EU.
  • Options

taffys said:

UK had more Eurovision victories pre-1973 than after?
    Ooops. OK, two victories pre-1973, three after - but....BUT:

The two pre-accession victories were over the course of a 16 year time-frame (1956-1972), but the three post-accession victories were over the course of a 43 year time frame (1973-2016)!
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Wasn't that the time of the three day week and power cuts?

What did people do in the privacy of their own homes during those dark evenings?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

//twitter.com/pickardje/status/722319316306305024
    https://twitter.com/dwilliamshsj/status/552075606998130689
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Oh FFS
    Evening standard tonight

Surely you saw that graph showing how the birth-rate has levelled off dramatically?
This discussion has been closed.