Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The punters at Betfair think Remain have this in the bag

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

Sun readers want to leave the European Union by a ratio of almost two to one, 59% to 32%.

Stunned.
    Who was it said on here that working class voters would not vote LEAVE?
    No one! I think everyone on both sides has said C2DE for Leave, ABC1 for Remain.
    West Ham :)
  • Options

LOL

Osborne's claims going down like a lead balloon on the Sky Newspaper review.

Alliance of the right wing and left wing. Olly T says that no one from the left wing will Vote LEAVE. Well you found a lefty priest!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    chestnut said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer ‎@JuliaHB1
    If the consequences of a Leave vote are really so awful, why did the PM ever agree to hold an EU referendum?

Same reason he granted a Scottish Independence referendum.

It is what the voters wanted.
    Indeed.

In terms of his personal reputation and preservation, he would have been wise to present the deal as what was on his offer, leaving the electorate to decide whether it was good enough.

He should have presented it, rather than endorsed it.

If he had, he would be immune.
    The Tories mocked the idea of Labour not having a position on, for example, Trident. The government would have been mocked and rightly so for not taking a position on the deal, not least since whether or not our leaders think it is a good deal is a relevant consideration for people to factor in, if not one that should be the primary decider.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

If the consequences of a Leave vote are really so awful, why did the PM ever agree to hold an EU referendum?

Same reason he granted a Scottish Independence referendum.

It is what the voters wanted.
    Indeed.

In terms of his personal reputation and preservation, he would have been wise to present the deal as what was on his offer, leaving the electorate to decide whether it was good enough.

He should have presented it, rather than endorsed it.

If he had, he would be immune.
    The Tories mocked the idea of Labour not having a position on, for example, Trident. The government would have been mocked and rightly so for not taking a position on the deal, not least since whether or not our leaders think it is a good deal is a relevant consideration for people to factor in, if not one that should be the primary decider.
    "This deal is getting worse all the time!" - Lando Calrissian.
  • Options

Sun readers want to leave the European Union by a ratio of almost two to one, 59% to 32%.

Stunned.
    No one! I think everyone on both sides has said C2DE for Leave, ABC1 for Remain.
    Olly T.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Stunned.
    The referee! Both sides complaining to the max on 606.

8 points clear still ;-)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    kle4 said:

Possibly, but isn't this a one-off referendum; a free vote?

Cameron might have done well to set himself above it, much like Her Majesty.
  • Options

Stunned.
    The referee! Both sides complaining to the max on 606.

8 points clear still ;-)
    Looks like Vardy's going to get more than a one match ban
  • Options
    runnymede said:

More appropriate question - if the consequences are so appalling, why did the PM previously:
    1. Say Britain could 'thrive' outside EU?
    2. Threaten to leave if some miniscule change to benefit rules were not brought in?
    and some folk wonder why our politicians are not respected........
  • Options

The exchange rate to the euro has fallen considerably since I paid the deposit for my family to go to Tuscany in the Summer. The balance of the deposit due will now cost me £450 more.

On the day Cameron announced referendum = 1.29. Friday = 1.26. Not much of a drop.
    We have also had more downbeat forecasts for the UK economy starting in January (Osborne) and then the OBR in March which have I suggest more effect than Brexit.
    I achieved 1.41 in August 15 and it is now 1.23
    Good for you. Have you factored in the economic down beat forecasting of Osborne and the OBR a few months ago or is it just Brexit getting the blame?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    runnymede said:

More appropriate question - if the consequences are so appalling, why did the PM previously:

1. Say Britain could 'thrive' outside EU?
    2. Threaten to leave if some miniscule change to benefit rules were not brought in?

Heir to Blair in all possible ways.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited April 2016
    TSE: What have I done?

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do.

Darth Gideon: To cheat political obscurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Daft Side is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    AndyJS said:
    People trust political websites to give impartial advice?
  • Options

The exchange rate to the euro has fallen considerably since I paid the deposit for my family to go to Tuscany in the Summer. The balance of the deposit due will now cost me £450 more.

On the day Cameron announced referendum = 1.29. Friday = 1.26. Not much of a drop.
    We have also had more downbeat forecasts for the UK economy starting in January (Osborne) and then the OBR in March which have I suggest more effect than Brexit.
    I achieved 1.41 in August 15 and it is now 1.23
    Good for you. Have you factored in the economic down beat forecasting of Osborne and the OBR a few months ago or is it just Brexit getting the blame?
    Just uncertainty magnified by the multitude of warnings over Brexit (project fear). The com res poll tonight gives the economy no 1 concern
  • Options

This is all very reminiscent of the Nats saying the Scots won't believe what a English Tory Chancellor says during the Indyref, because of his and his party's rating in Scotland.

Given the shift in opinion during that campaign, is there any evidence the Scots did?
    If you look after the post vote contact polling, the currency/economic uncertainty were the prime reasons that got No voters out, persuaded undecideds in the last week
    Economic uncertainty was clear. That doesn't have to correlate strongly with believing Osborne.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Scott_P said:

Neither am I. What I have said is that he will delay a few days (my quote I believe was two weeks is most likely) and in that time will discuss with his cabinet colleagues and with other European leaders the basic principles and systems on which the negotiations will take place.

That is if he has not already done so which of course he claims not to have done.

Anything else would be plain dumb and a dereliction of duty on his part. As I said earlier I clearly have more faith in his abilities and good sense than you do.

If we vote Leave, how Dare Cameron actually start Leave proceedings... It would be "a dereliction of duty on his part" to obey the Sovereign will of the British people. Not sure that is the Leavers' core message if I'm honest.

This just gets better and better.

The scene. 10 Downing Street. Interior. Friday morning. The PM is on the phone to Berlin.

"Hi Angela, David here."

"We voted to Leave the EU"

"No, I am not calling to invoke article 50. Just called for a chat."

"Next I have to call the other 26."

"Well, then I will invoke article 50 of course"
    You really are not very bright are you Scott.

I must admit I forgot the fact you make no real contribution to this site apart from retweets and thought I should take you seriously. I see now how daft that was of me.
    LOL
This discussion has been closed.