Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE moves to its best position yet in the ICM weekly EURe

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,617
    edited April 2016

Bugger, Mike was planning to run my AV thread in the morning.

excuse my ignorance but what does AV stand for? I have seen if mentioned before but always as an abbreviation.
    The Alternative Vote system.

The finest voting system know to man.

During the AV referendum PB was at its finest, discussing the merits of AV.

It brought PBers to hitherto unknown levels of pleasure.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,079

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, the alleged scandal of which I speak is unlikely to have any effect on the Brexit vote.

Was it the one that was shared with us on Friday?
    by ogh? then yes
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,617
    edited April 2016
    Before anyone gets Mike into trouble and starts an inaccurate meme.

John Whittingdale says he did not pay her or any other ladies to make the beast with two backs
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

What the fuck does the Culture Secretary do with his time and who cares if he visits prostitutes? I've never heard of the bloke.

He is one of the cabinet leavers
    Well this hooker is less than impressed!

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    Whittingdale hardly has the looks of a Greek Adonis and is single, so if he feels he has to pay to satisfy his energies that is a private matter between him and the lady in question
    I must admit, as a fan of salacious gossip, I'm struggling to give a sh1t about this one.

The response from Hacked Off is much more amusing. Bunch of w*nkers. (Sorry, glass of wine too many. Hic.).

EDIT: Snicker. Had to share the first comment on Guido's article on this: "Why the fuss? It's not as if he's been banging Diane Abbott."
    I doubt he would be paying for that!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Bless.
    Rowing over Europe, press exposed after keeping quiet about the Culture Secretary, a PM who was unfairly accused and is now tarnished by porcine accusations, the Chancellor being stabbed in the front by the ex-welfare secretary -
    Michael Gove waiting in the wings - enough said -
    And PB comments thinks everyone should be looking at how many hundreds of pounds Jeremy Corbyn owes the taxman.
    I think this is what a disconnect between partisans and developing political reality looks like.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

excuse my ignorance but what does AV stand for? I have seen if mentioned before but always as an abbreviation.

You should write a lengthy article on that, if you can spare the time.
  • Options

We always hear about the AV thread right after it gets pulled, *sad face*
    I gave you an AV thread earlier on this year.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/24/electoral-reform-might-not-be-the-panacea-the-left-think-it-is/

But Mike considers my Donald Trump todger thread as the new gold standard of threads.
    C'mon TSE the optimum number of AV threads is N+1
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    GIN1138 said:

twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/719994349564600320

The problem for Cameron is that, if Remain wins, he will be open to the accusation he biased the result. Thereby not putting it to bed, and instead letting it fester for the rest of his premiership.

I don't see how this is good politics for him.
    I assume Cameron will worry about that if/when it happens. For now all he's concerned about is winning at any and all costs to keep all his Bilderberg mates happy and keeping the show on the road for himself, Boy George, etc.
    Very cynical comment and without foundation.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016

Yes. All this discussion of EFTA vs EEA vs EU does make a man pine for the simple pleasures of an AV thread, or even STV...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184
    edited April 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I suspect this is all noise, fed by people who respond to opinion polls as a way of commenting on the current media narrative. The government has taken a media drubbing over the last week. No surprise that fewer respondents are prepared to appear sympathetic towards one of its pet projects. If Dave had been a Leaver, Remain would be surging now.

It's like a repeat of this:

"Oh why did we lose the Referendum, if only Nick Clegg was against AV"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGP0jxj1-EQ
    Ha, ha! But a more apposite comparison with Clegg is the massive poll surges he had during the debates of 2005, which vanished like fairy dust when people came to vote. Opinion polling is now just a glorified version of the 'Like' facility on the internet - facile, frivolous and with no predictive content of how people will actually behave.
    If you remember the NOtoAV campaign distributed leaflets with Nick Clegg's face.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/feb/05/av-get-clegg-campaign

Now the Leave camp has 2 juicy faces to put on it's leaflets, one of Corbyn to be sent to safe Tory seats, and one of Cameron to be sent to safe Labour seats.

That should do the trick.
    You could just as easily say Remain could send leaflets with Galloway's and Dennis Skinner's face on to safe Tory seats and IDS and Farage's face to safe Labour seats
    To which the response from the Tory seats will be 'who?', with perhaps not much more of a negative reaction from the WWC labour vote.
    George Galloway is probably better known than most of the Cabinet
    I think Corbyn and Cameron are better known than Galloway, Dennis Skinner and IDS.
    However Farage is on par as a party leader but his popularity numbers are up, higher than Cameron's I think.
    Well they are both the main party leaders, though Corbyn voted against the EEC originally and is pretty lukewarm about Remain anyway
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

It's a bit of an in-joke.

AV = Alternative Vote

It's a reference to the 2011 AV referendum - specifically the tedious commentary on PB & elsewhere debating the merits and drawbacks of various voting systems.

Enough to bore the hell out of even the geekiest political obsessives.

Now please never mention AV ever again!
  • Options

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: @johnwhittingdale admits he had relationship with sex worker and he didn't tell no 10 before taking Culture Sec job - more on #newsnight

Why should he have told them?
    Is this going to be the second cabinet resignation in two months
    No, as other leading Tory MPs have been able to "hang out" with prostitutes and have not had their career prospects harmed in the slightest.
    You may be right but the problem is that his position as Culture Secretary compromised the press and he didn't tell David Cameron before he was appointed to the postion
    Wow, this is extraordinary infighting. A tory member suggesting a tory cabinet minister should stand down for having sex.

Exactly how do you expect these people to conduct themselves?
    I am not calling for him to stand down but others may well
    So you don;t have a problem with it then?
    No I don't but seems hacked off are after him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

What the fuck does the Culture Secretary do with his time and who cares if he visits prostitutes? I've never heard of the bloke.

He is one of the cabinet leavers
    Well this hooker is less than impressed!

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    Whittingdale hardly has the looks of a Greek Adonis and is single, so if he feels he has to pay to satisfy his energies that is a private matter between him and the lady in question
    I must admit, as a fan of salacious gossip, I'm struggling to give a sh1t about this one.

The response from Hacked Off is much more amusing. Bunch of w*nkers. (Sorry, glass of wine too many. Hic.).

EDIT: Snicker. Had to share the first comment on Guido's article on this: "Why the fuss? It's not as if he's been banging Diane Abbott."
    I doubt he would be paying for that!
    I'd pay quite a lot to avoid it.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I've written my finest PB for this weekend. I've spent nearly two months writing it.

Is about the EU referendum, I suspect many Tory leavers won't be speaking to me for a while after it is published.

It also contains my greatest/worst pun/80s pop music reference ever
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    edited April 2016
    @TheScreamingEagles

Your mission should you choose to accept it:

A thread header combining AV with Trumps Todger!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, the alleged scandal of which I speak is unlikely to have any effect on the Brexit vote.

Was it the one that was shared with us on Friday?
    by ogh? then yes
    Yes, that is correct.
    I only just remembered to ask about 5 minutes before he left.
    Glad I did.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Anorak said:

I've written my finest PB for this weekend. I've spent nearly two months writing it.

Is about the EU referendum, I suspect many Tory leavers won't be speaking to me for a while after it is published.

It also contains my greatest/worst pun/80s pop music reference ever
    Ahhhh, trolling the bucolic leaver brigade is a source of endless fun. I'm probably 70% likely to vote leave, but winding up the 100% troupe is like catching fish in a barrel with dynamite: explosive but ultimately delicious.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2016
    GIN1138 said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Your mission should you choose to accept it:

A thread header combining AV with Trumps Todger!

That's simple.
    What if the GOP primary used AV, would we still have the Trump Todger debate ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Blimey. I really wouldn't have thought John Whittingdale was up to it.
  • Options
    Pong said:

AV = Alternative Vote

It's a reference to the 2011 AV referendum - specifically the tedious commentary on PB & elsewhere debating the merits and drawbacks of various voting systems.

I think the AV referendum actually gave me my one and only moment of influencing our public discourse through PB...

One Sunday evening on here I posted a scene from Auf Weidershen Pet where there's a line about "everybody get's what nobody wants" after the brickies have had a vote using a voting system similar to AV.

The next day Fraser Nelson write a piece about the scene at the Spectator and I think in The Sun - And it started being discussed quite a lot. I don't know if Fraser saw my post on here but it was quite a conincidence...

So it might not be too OTT to say that GIN1138 single-handedly saved FPTP, sunk AV and possibly played a part in destroying the Lib-Dems! :D

I'm waiting for my "K" to arrive in the post but so far... Maybe Mr Jack will "have a word"? ;)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    edited April 2016
    Just catching up on Newsnight - all the papers who didn't want to publish the Whittingdale story hiding behind the fact that 'it wasn't in the public interest'. And they think that the general public are all mugs and going to believe it! No wonder they are a DYING industry with behaviour like this, in the same week that they've put every story going out about another celebrity with the clear insinuation of who had taken out the injunction. You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    GIN1138 said:

Pong said:

AV = Alternative Vote

I think the AV referendum actually gave me my one and only moment of influencing our public discourse through PB...

One Sunday evening on here I posted a scene from Auf Weidershen Pet where there's a line about "everybody get's what nobody wants" after the brickies have had a vote using a voting system similar to AV.

The next day Fraser Nelson write a piece about the scene at the Spectator and I think in The Sun - And it started being discussed quite a lot. I don't know if Fraser saw my post on here but it was quite a conincidence...

So it might not be too OTT to say that GIN1138 single-handedly saved FPTP, sunk AV and possibly played a part in destroying the Lib-Dems! :D

I'm waiting for my "K" to arrive in the post but so far... Maybe Mr Jack will "have a word"? ;)
    I think the LD destroyed themselves in May 2010, way before your reference.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    http://order-order.com/2016/04/12/greenslade-shreds-hacked-offs-whittingdale-conspiracy-theory/

Greenslade going into bat for a Tory...crickey whatever next, whiter than white Jezza messing up his tax return ?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Just catching up on Newsnight - all the papers who didn't want to publish the Whittingdale story hiding behind the fact that 'it wasn't in the public interest'. And they think that the general public are all mugs and going to believe it! No wonder they are a DYING industry with behaviour like this, in the same week that they've put every story going out about another celebrity with the clear insinuation of who had taken out the injunction. You couldn't make it up!

I agree - the newspapers do seem to be all at sea over this
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Lonely man meets woman online who turns out to be leading a secret life as a dominatrix...

Sounds like Whittingdale is actually the victim here. Think Hacked Off should move along quickly - Whittingdale and the papers (who didn't run the story, presumably because Whittingdale had been duped) might come out of this looking quite sympathetic...
  • Options
    hunchman said:

"another celebrity"??? I think you may have put your finger on the reason for their indifference.
  • Options

Well his brother in-law didn't exactly get up to much good did he:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11238339/Charles-Napier-admits-string-of-historic-sex-offences-against-boys.html
  • Options
    Anorak said:

hunchman said:

"another celebrity"??? I think you may have put your finger on the reason for their indifference.
    Does 'person in the public eye' satisfy you?!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

Pong said:

AV = Alternative Vote

I think the LD destroyed themselves in May 2010, way before your reference.
    There would have been more Lib-Dems left if they hadn't been subjected to the brutality of FPTP though...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

http://order-order.com/2016/04/12/greenslade-shreds-hacked-offs-whittingdale-conspiracy-theory/

Greenslade going into bat for a Tory...crickey whatever next, whiter than white Jezza messing up his tax return ?

Never seen that Hacked Off Cathcart character before - talk about swivel eyed.
  • Options

Oh yeah he is terrible.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lonely man meets woman online who turns out to be leading a secret life as a dominatrix...

Sounds like Whittingdale is actually the victim here. Think Hacked Off should move along quickly - Whittingdale and the papers (who didn't run the story, presumably because Whittingdale had been duped) might come out of this looking quite sympathetic...
    Of course the papers would never, ever dupe some-one through a "sting" operation, no, sir.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Anorak said:

hunchman said:

Does 'person in the public eye' satisfy you?!
    Satisfy is pushing it a little far, but the story does seem to lack a certain 'spark' that would otherwise render it interesting.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    EPG said:

Bless.
    Rowing over Europe, press exposed after keeping quiet about the Culture Secretary, a PM who was unfairly accused and is now tarnished by porcine accusations, the Chancellor being stabbed in the front by the ex-welfare secretary -
    And PB comments thinks everyone should be looking at how many hundreds of pounds Jeremy Corbyn owes the taxman.
    I think this is what a disconnect between partisans and developing political reality looks like.

Well, you know, some of us are capable of thinking about more than one subject.

Corbyn tax return story is of interest, I think, not because of the money but what it says about the man. This is a chap who leads one of the great political parties and who aspires to be prime minister. Yet he cannot accurately fill in a simple tax return and manages to miss off several thousand pounds of taxable income. He gets fined because he can't even remember to send the wretched form off on time. Then there is the matter of the declaration on the last page, the one you sign to say that the return is complete and accurate - he signed that even though it was neither.

What we have, therefore, is a man who has poor attention to detail, is incompetent, a poor organiser (employing an accountant to do this sort of thing is easy and not expensive). and, possibly, dishonest. By any standards he is totally unfit for any office of state. And, FFS, we get this picture of him because he chose to give it to us by publishing his abortion of a tax return.

If you want to talk about political reality, then Corbyn as an utterly, utterly incompetent politician.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

EPG said:

Bless.

Corbyn tax return story is of interest, I think, not because of the money but what it says about the man. This is a chap who leads one of the great political parties and who aspires to be prime minister. Yet he cannot accurately fill in a simple tax return and manages to miss off several thousand pounds of taxable income. He gets fined because he can't even remember to send the wretched form off on time. Then there is the matter of the declaration on the last page, the one you sign to say that the return is complete and accurate - he signed that even though it was neither.

What we have, therefore, is a man who has poor attention to detail, is incompetent, a poor organiser (employing an accountant to do this sort of thing is easy and not expensive). and, possibly, dishonest. By any standards he is totally unfit for any office of state. And, FFS, we get this picture of him because he chose to give it to us by publishing his abortion of a tax return.

If you want to talk about political reality, then Corbyn as an utterly, utterly incompetent politician.
    Still, despite it all, better than Dave.
  • Options

He is one of several in hacked off who have the ability to hack us off
  • Options
    edited April 2016

GIN1138 said:

Of course the papers would never, ever dupe some-one through a "sting" operation, no, sir.
    There wasn't a "sting".

Whittingdale had a relationship spanning a few months with this woman. Presumably he thought she was an honest woman but it turned out she was leading a double life.

When he found out he ended the relationship. That's about all there is too it... Not even a "Pretty Woman" angle.

Seems to be a private matter for him and the lady in question and I'd have thought Hacked Off would be pleased the papers didn't run the story...
  • Options

EPG said:

Bless.

You forget to mention that "he chose to give it to us by publishing his abortion of a tax return" after failing to find it in his bomb-site of an office for the best part of a week. I mean, it doesn't change the overall picture much, but it raises a smile :D
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jonathan said:

Still, despite it all, better than Dave.[Referring to JC - Anorak]

I can see how people find socialism, and the Labour party appealing. Equally, I can see how people find conservatism and capitalism abhorrent. For the life of me I can't see how any one can place Corbyn and Cameron side-by-side and say: "Yep, Jeremy would definitely do a better job as elected leader and global representative of the United Kingdom".
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,371
    DavidL said:

So are we to now assume that Corbyn's embarrassing effort of a belated tax return did not declare £6000 of taxable income? How could he get his tax deducted at source from his OAP? Surely that is always paid gross isn't it?

His local government pension may have been paid net but was it net at the basic rate or his higher rate?

Still not convinced about his lodger.

Or about not having a penny of interest or investment income.

Or about not having any taxable benefits in his Parliamentary allowances.

It is starting to look like his tax is underpaid by enough to have the Revenue threatening a member of the public with dire consequences.

But let's talk about a single man's rather sad sex life. Much more interesting.

Um, sorry, but like the guy who was ticking him off for doing an electronic return, you're passing judgment without knowing the system or the individual..

1. Parliamentary allowances are separately accounted for by Parliament, and are not normally taxable - it's one reason there's a special MP form because it's unusual that MPs are responsible for three full-time staff but the expenses re paid by Parliament directly and don't benefit the MP financially - the staff, the stationery, the postage, the office. It would be unusual for an MP to have taxable expenses - I don't think I ever did.

2. As noted earlier, you aren't allowed to send an electronic return. In return, you have till Jan 31 to submit the paper return.

3. The local government pension service (and Parliament) will be informed directly by HMRC that he's due to pay higher rate income tax. (I'm in the same position with my employer.)

4. The OAP is paid using the personal allowance, without tax.

5. I think it's pretty unlikely that he has invested in any companies, and not too surprised if he's not opened a savings account to get 0.5% interest. He's not interested in money, and not alone in not bothering with the savings interest. I suspect that's also why he does his own return but didn't get round to it on time - can well imagine him thinking it's money stuff, hence boring. Not an excuse but a week's delay is not the end of the world.

6. No idea about his lodger but I bet he isn't charged anything near the market rate.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited April 2016
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

There wasn't a "sting".

Whittingdale had a relationship spanning a few months with this woman. Presumably he thought she was an honest woman but it turned out she was leading a double life.
    Just imagine the lady's horror when she realised John Whittingdale's double life. The idea of cabinet ministers hanging around on Internet dating sites is slightly scary.

You could be one swipe away from dating George Osborne.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Jonathan said:

:open_mouth::disappointed:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

There wasn't a "sting".

Just imagine the lady's horror when she realised John Whittingdale's double life. The idea of cabinet ministers hanging around on Internet dating site is slightly scary.

Could be worse, you could end up with dick pics from Brooks Newmark....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    viewcode said:

Speedy said:

The Newspaper Scandal is out in the public at last.
    It's not that one that we all know about, it's the other one that we all know about
    I confess I didn't know about this one, but the other seems more a story than this pablum.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

:open_mouth::disappointed:
    So close and yet so far, eh, GIN.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    GIN1138 said:

Alternative Vote...

Discussion of it generally sends the PB community into a state of Zzzzzzzzzz.....
    I've never seen 'paralysed excitement' expressed as zzzzzzzzz, but you're quite right.
  • Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42

...He's not interested in money, and not alone in not bothering with the savings interest. I suspect that's also why he does his own return but didn't get round to it on time - can well imagine him thinking it's money stuff, hence boring. Not an excuse but a week's delay is not the end of the world.

And yet this man who thinks money is "boring" and who is lax with his own tax affairs is someone you want to be First Lord of the Treasury.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I've come up with a collective noun for Trump and Cruz - CRUMP
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Tim_B said:

I've come up with a collective noun for Trump and Cruz - CRUMP

Crump and Truz?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: @johnwhittingdale admits he had relationship with sex worker and he didn't tell no 10 before taking Culture Sec job - more on #newsnight

Why should he have told them?
    Is this going to be the second cabinet resignation in two months
    No, as other leading Tory MPs have been able to "hang out" with prostitutes and have not had their career prospects harmed in the slightest.
    Really! What about Lord Lambton?
  • Options
  • Options
    hunchman said:
    What is "That address"?

I haven't been around on here as much since the election so I've got to ask have you taken over from Tapestry as PB's resident crazy? ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

hunchman said:
    What is "That address"?

I haven't been around on here as much since the election so I've got to ask have you taken over from Tapestry as PB's resident crazy? ;)
    Just follow the link and listen!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,002

It has been returned to the PB archives for safe keeping...
  • Options
    Would Mr David William Donald Cameron care to tell us of his business dealings with this company?

https://www.duedil.com/company/04383546/noctium-limited

In particular his past business links with William Waldorf Astor and Mr Nigel William Wray?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

It has been returned to the PB archives for safe keeping...
    That's presumably a euphemism for "dropped into the Marianas Trench strapped to Mark Reckless in lead boots".

[As an aside, I had brain-fade over the word "euphemism" (damn, you, alcohol!) and typed into Google (literally, cut-n-pasted here): word for something that is the same as something else but phrased in a nicer way and found it within 30 seconds. The internet is quite an amazing thing.]
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    hunchman said:

Would Mr David William Donald Cameron care to tell us of his business dealings with this company?

In particular his past business links with William Waldorf Astor and Mr Nigel William Wray?

God, you'd be very hard pressed to find a more odious man than Nigel Wray.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

And JackW, matt and others from the establishment on here think this is some wacko reptilian lizard conspiracy theory! Pull the other one.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

And JackW, matt and others from the establishment on here think this is some wacko reptilian lizard conspiracy theory! Pull the other one.
    First non-Saracens link on t'interweb: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/pace/graduation/honorary-degrees/hondeg05/wray.html

Damning. *cough* loons *cough*
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

Well, to avoid badmouthing a few of my acquaintance, involvement with the man himself does not necessarily mean that anything untoward is going on, furthermore the date that it had it's last filing suggests that it is of little relevance to him tenure as PM.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558

Anorak said:

I've written my finest PB for this weekend.
    Better then than the one where you told PB that the Tories couldn't win the General Election?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

DavidL said:

So are we to now assume that Corbyn's embarrassing effort of a belated tax return did not declare £6000 of taxable income? How could he get his tax deducted at source from his OAP? Surely that is always paid gross isn't it?

His local government pension may have been paid net but was it net at the basic rate or his higher rate?

Still not convinced about his lodger.

Or about not having a penny of interest or investment income.

Or about not having any taxable benefits in his Parliamentary allowances.

It is starting to look like his tax is underpaid by enough to have the Revenue threatening a member of the public with dire consequences.

But let's talk about a single man's rather sad sex life. Much more interesting.

Um, sorry, but like the guy who was ticking him off for doing an electronic return, you're passing judgment without knowing the system or the individual..

1. Parliamentary allowances are separately accounted for by Parliament, and are not normally taxable - it's one reason there's a special MP form because it's unusual that MPs are responsible for three full-time staff but the expenses re paid by Parliament directly and don't benefit the MP financially - the staff, the stationery, the postage, the office. It would be unusual for an MP to have taxable expenses - I don't think I ever did.

2. As noted earlier, you aren't allowed to send an electronic return. In return, you have till Jan 31 to submit the paper return.

3. The local government pension service (and Parliament) will be informed directly by HMRC that he's due to pay higher rate income tax. (I'm in the same position with my employer.)

4. The OAP is paid using the personal allowance, without tax.

5. I think it's pretty unlikely that he has invested in any companies, and not too surprised if he's not opened a savings account to get 0.5% interest. He's not interested in money, and not alone in not bothering with the savings interest. I suspect that's also why he does his own return but didn't get round to it on time - can well imagine him thinking it's money stuff, hence boring. Not an excuse but a week's delay is not the end of the world.

6. No idea about his lodger but I bet he isn't charged anything near the market rate.

Corbyn is clearly not a venal man and has very little interest in money. But that tax return alone is a very strong argument against him as leader of the Labour party, let alone the country.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,002
    Estobar said:

Anorak said:

Better then than the one where you told PB that the Tories couldn't win the General Election?
    Misinformation... much like reports of Labour's ground game. ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    I can understand Corbyn not opening a savings account to get a small amount of interest. And of course we don't know but he could have a Cash ISA account which he uses for savings.

I also fully accept that all necessary tax would have been deducted at source from his Council pension and that his State Pension is covered by the Personal Allowance so there is no effect on his tax calculation (as long as his tax code is correct).

However worth noting that if he had submitted that manual tax return electronically it WOULD have calculated the wrong figure for tax payable - as without the state pension it would have awarded him a full PA against his MP salary.

But the big picture surely is how on earth is he going to take Budget decisions with a Chancellor if he not only has no interest in money but no broad feeling at all for financial matters?

Anyone with the most basic knowledge would surely know that both pensions had to be declared on their tax return.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Estobar said:

Anorak said:

Misinformation... much like reports of Labour's ground game. ;)
    One day he will return, with proof of how strong it really was!
  • Options
    Seem Private Eye forced every bodies hand on the big story of the evening. They were running it in the new issue out tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tit bit...The dominatrix in question appears to be the ex-wife of Shadow from Gladiators.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited April 2016

Tit bit...The dominatrix in question appears to be -wife of Shadow from Gladiators.

It's a small world.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Well done Home Affairs Committee for refusing to be BS'd by civil servants.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/top-civil-servant-kicked-out-of-parliament-committee-for-unsatis/

Mrs May needs to get a grip on this rapidly or her record in the Home Office is going to be rather less unblemished.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Indigo said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/top-civil-servant-kicked-out-of-parliament-committee-for-unsatis/

Mrs May needs to get a grip on this rapidly or her record in the Home Office is going to be rather less unblemished.

she has presided over the missing all of her own goverments targets for immigration, so I'm never really sure why her record is considered to be unblemished?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    last, probably
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

she has presided over the missing all of her own goverments targets for immigration, so I'm never really sure why her record is considered to be unblemished?
    I agree personally I think her record on immigration is a disgrace from one end to the other, and her record on civil liberties is as bad if not worse, but for some reason the PB Blue pompom's brigade have her down as the next leader.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The death this week of Mildred Gordon (MP for Bow & Poplar 1987-1997) reminds me of the Neath by-election campaign of 1945, in which the CPGB supported the Coalition and the war effort against Hitler, whereas the RCP opposed the imperialist war and opposed the Coalition. A spokesman for the CPGB said that the RCP candidate should be shot because he was a fifth-columnist (and that a vote for the RCP was a vote for Hitler), and the Labour candidate repudiated the support which the CPGB gave him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neath_by-election,_1945
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    I think Dan is being a little disingenuous:

We remain full members of the EU’s common market, covered by free movement of goods, services and capital,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3537022/If-tiny-Guernsey-thrives-outside-EU-t-world-s-fifth-largest-economy-Concluding-definitive-series-EU-MP-DAN-HANNAN-says-forget-Remain-camp-s-Project-Fear-real-risk-lies-staying-in.html

He's forgotten the fourth freedom - free movement of people - if anyone thinks we'll be granted three out of the four, they are being possibly a tad optimistic.......
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,104
    Is this 'scandal' the thing people have been getting wound up about on here for the last few days?

If so, it seems more than a tad overblown.

The only question arising about his conduct is the following: did he follow precedent and put a picture onto match.com of himself in his underpants? If so, I hope to god it is never released: I've only just finished therapy after Rev. Underpants.

(My memory problems seem to have blanked out a certain Labour lord and a bra. Please do not do anything - such as post a picture - that would remind me of the horror).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016

EPG said:

Bless.

I agree. Independent of his politics he is unfit for office. The sooner the Labour Party gets rid the better.

Surely it is fairly easy to see if his pensions were taxed at source. Add up the income as stated on the form and calculate the tax paid. It looks to me significant undeclared income, as is the rent on the flat.
  • Options

EPG said:

Bless.

I agree. Independent of his politics he is unfit for office. The sooner the Labour Party gets rid the better.
    He will know this. His job is to ensure the party can only elect a fellow traveller and not one of the hated moderates.

There's a good chance Labour could win in 2020 with a more presentable leader and similar policies.
  • Options
    I see Chris Bryant is making a late break for 'Pompous Prat of the week' edging out 'low achiever' Sir Alan Duncan:

Shadow cabinet minister Chris Bryant, who was Labour's shadow culture secretary until last year, said: "It seems the press were quite deliberately holding a sword of Damocles over John Whittingdale.

"He has a perfect right to a private life but as soon as he knew this he should have withdrawn from all regulation of the press."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/minister-john-whittingdale-admits-relationship-with-sex-worker/

I find this whole thing bizarre - isn't this 'no proof, but nudge nudge, wink wink, no smoke without fire' approach, precisely the sort of 'sordid tabloid behaviour' that Bryant and the others such as Hacked Off deprecated - yet are now indulging in themselves?
  • Options

Is this 'scandal' the thing people have been getting wound up about on here for the last few days?

A surfeit of scandals - this isn't the 'Celebrity (sic) threesome' injuncted scandal, but one three editors turned down as not a 'story' - yet since it involved a Tory, who was also responsible for press regulation, the Hacked Off crowd decided it must be a 'conspiracy' (no proof) so worth a good 'no smoke without fire' treatment they complained long & hard to Leveson about.....
  • Options

A surfeit of scandals - this isn't the 'Celebrity (sic) threesome' injuncted scandal, but one three editors turned down as not a 'story' - yet since it involved a Tory, who was also responsible for press regulation, the Hacked Off crowd decided it must be a 'conspiracy' (no proof) so worth a good 'no smoke without fire' treatment they complained long & hard to Leveson about.....
    It sounds as though the media spiked the story *before* he became responsible for press regulation, which rather destroys that particular 'conspiracy' story.

He claims he ended the relationship when someone tried to sell the story to the papers in February 2014. He became SoS in May 2015. However - and this may be important - he was chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee at the time of the relationship.

The one thing that could carry this story further is what the good lady has to say now.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2016

If so, it seems more than a tad overblown.

The only question arising about his conduct is the following: did he follow precedent and put a picture onto match.com of himself in his underpants? If so, I hope to god it is never released: I've only just finished therapy after Rev. Underpants.

(My memory problems seem to have blanked out a certain Labour lord and a bra. Please do not do anything - such as post a picture - that would remind me of the horror).

There are some pretty loathsome MP's on all sides of the house, but Bryant comes about the top of the list.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209

The problem is that if any newspaper runs with a sex scandal about any other politician it will look very bad. By turning down the ************ story they are basically saying it's not news and not worth reporting. On past performance that's some turnaround from the press.
  • Options
    Oh, I see Whittingdale has come clean. That this story was not reported by the papers is a disgrace.
  • Options
    If we're not careful, we'll end up with a House of Commons filled with politics-obsessed career politicians (6) who are asexual (1) and have no family (2) or kids (3). They'll stay in their offices in the HoC all the time (7) and they won't drink (4). Their only contact will be with similar grey (8) people. (5)

And we'll all be complaining that 'they're not like us!'.

(1) As relationships can ruin careers.
    (2) Families can be used to embarrass, whether fathers (Cameron) or brothers (Osborne)
    (3) Likewise children.
    (4) As alcohol can cause indiscretions
    (5) As they will be similarly guarded.
    (6) As any career outside politics might prove embarrassing as a potential conflict of interest.
    (7) As they might meet a real person (tm) and something bad might happen. Real people are dangerous!
    (8) Grey is such a nice, neutral colour that will not offend anyone.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The problem is that if any newspaper runs with a sex scandal about any other politician it will look very bad. By turning down the ************ story they are basically saying it's not news and not worth reporting. On past performance that's some turnaround from the press.
    I think it depends on the context.

Single MP dates unwisely and ends relationship when he discovers nature of date's work - I'm with the three editors - not a 'Story'.

Single man posts photos of himself in his underpants on a dating website - marginal, but probably worth it for the embarrassment/foolishness factor.

Married proclaimer of family values and the sanctity of marriage caught playing away - throw the kitchen sink at him.....

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Oh, I see Whittingdale has come clean. That this story was not reported by the papers is a disgrace.

Why?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Unbelievable hypocrisy from press on Whittingdale. Looks like the Sun's going down on him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why was this in any way a 'scandal' ?
  • Options

And then we found out 'the Grey Man', Major had been enjoying Curry......
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I see Parliament is going to debate the EU propaganda leaflets on 9 May. Have they deliberately done that so that those for Wales, Soctland and Northern Ireland will already have been sent out?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited April 2016
    EPGEPG Posts: 1,799
    April 12
    Bless.
    I think this is what a disconnect between partisans and developing political reality looks like

Corbyn and his supporters have been demanding the PM resign over following the rules and paying all due tax only to find out Corbyn hasn't done so and is himself now immersed in difficulties. It has been front page news for over a week egged on by these same people.

You think it's not going to be talked about? Of course left wingers don't have to follow the same rules as the little people and whereas Cameron's correct declaration was a national scandal Corbyns incorrect one was errr.... " an oversight".

Bless.....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Why?
    The question we have to ask is "would this have been treated differently with other politicians?" Okay, so I guess Whitttingdale was/is single and wasn't having an affair. But do you honestly believe if it had been another politician - say Jeremy Corbyn - the press would have sat on it?
  • Options

And then we found out 'the Grey Man', Major had been enjoying Curry......
    I went to school with Currie's daughters. Both she and her daughters are (ahem) interesting people. Major went down in my estimation when he had the relationship: not because it was an affair, but for lack of taste for having one with Edwina.

(There were stories about Debbie Currie in the press at the time. They only scratched the surface).
  • Options
    Dan Hodges: Why don't people just be the honest. The real press regulation they want is if it's a Tory, they're fair game, if it isn't , they're not.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

tlg86 said:

Why?
    The suggestion is that Whittingdale got a free pass because in his day job he is in charge of regulating the media.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Hacked Off are all over the airwaves complaining about the story not being published.

Guess it's the wrong sort of privacy.

I see Chris Bryant is making a late break for 'Pompous Prat of the week' edging out 'low achiever' Sir Alan Duncan:

Shadow cabinet minister Chris Bryant, who was Labour's shadow culture secretary until last year, said: "It seems the press were quite deliberately holding a sword of Damocles over John Whittingdale.

"He has a perfect right to a private life but as soon as he knew this he should have withdrawn from all regulation of the press."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/minister-john-whittingdale-admits-relationship-with-sex-worker/

I find this whole thing bizarre - isn't this 'no proof, but nudge nudge, wink wink, no smoke without fire' approach, precisely the sort of 'sordid tabloid behaviour' that Bryant and the others such as Hacked Off deprecated - yet are now indulging in themselves?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,585
    tlg86 said:

You'd have thought hacked off would be pleased.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why?
    The question we have to ask is "would this have been treated differently with other politicians?" Okay, so I guess Whitttingdale was/is single and wasn't having an affair. But do you honestly believe if it had been another politician - say Jeremy Corbyn - the press would have sat on it?
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were loads of stories like this that the media know about and don't publish.

He wasn't SoS at the time they spiked it.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    They're debating the Foreign Aid one on June 16.
    RoyalBlue said:

I see Parliament is going to debate the EU propaganda leaflets on 9 May. Have they deliberately done that so that those for Wales, Soctland and Northern Ireland will already have been sent out?

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Takes some chutzpah that ...... Perhaps he should look in a mirror for once....

Oh wait....... :lol:
This discussion has been closed.