Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Because CON members are overwhelmingly for LEAVE doesn’t me

1235»

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Oh, BTW got my government-funded EU propaganda leaflet in the mail yesterday, has anyone else?

I got it - returned to sender. My mother got hers today and is following suit.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Ouch comments as you say

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/12/what-do-muslims-think-skewed-poll-wont-tell-us#comments

taffys said:

I'd assumed a Removed comment involved a four letter word or something more colourful.

Of course, mentioning where any Guardian columnist went to school is instantly censored.

It's hilarious - all very free speech until we're the subject of criticism.

runnymede said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The dark side of Guardian comments

As part of a series into the rising global phenomenon of online harassment, the Guardian commissioned research into the 70m comments left on its site since 2006 and discovered that of the 10 most abused writers eight are women, and the two men are black.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

I found that article a little odd. Typically for The Guardian it all has to be about "identity politics", I bet they didn't consider for one moment if the real correlation with abusive comments was the extent to which the correspondent wrote fatuous drivel ;)
    Writing fatuous drivel is no justification for abuse. Rebuttal and argument yes, abuse no.

A lot depends on what is meant by abuse though. Do root vegetables count for example?
    From the example Plato quoted it seems absurdly thin skinned, that example was questioning the independence and credibility of the paper and the author, which I would think was almost par for the course. Anyone viewing comments which are variations on "do you actually know what you are talking about?" as abuse, clearly is in dire need of a safe space.
    They probably thought they had found one, writing for the Guardian.
    An article rubbishing the Muslim attitudes poll is being slaughtered as we speak.
    The article in The Guardian was written by someone from MCGB no less, there's a shocker.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    It is worth watching. Two liberals having a sensible discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQHakkViPo&
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

RoyalBlue said:

Corbyn went to a good school and came out with two Es. Is any explanation needed beyond 'he's just not very bright'?

In my experience, those who got Es tended to have the most fun at sixth form. Maybe young Corbyn was a party animal at school.
    Partying or not, you have to be unfathomably stupid or lazy to get an E in a A-level.
    No you don't. Sometimes an E is a good result. In any case, if you believe the Daily Mail, 2 1960/70s Es are worth 5A*s in todays money. ;-)
    They would certainly be worth at least 2C s in todays terms.
    True. I was more than a bit miffed recently when I was turned down for a job which required A*AA at A level on the grounds that my third A was in General Studies (which wasn't specified in the advert). They kindly let me off the requirement for an A* as they weren't awarded back in the early 1990s, but about as many A*s are given out now as As were then. My two Bs - which would probably be As now - didn't count.

That said, it did seem a bit ridiculous to be haggling over exam grades awarded more than 20 years ago when I do have something of a career record since then! Probably best avoiding that kind of box-ticking mentality.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I've just read Roger's latest thread header.

As I might not be around when it is published, can I state for the record.

1) I'm absolutely fuming at the opening two sentences.

2) Roger really should become a regular thread header writer. He's bringing some brilliant insight and analysis to PB.

1. So you should be. They should really be a single sentence divided by a colon.

2. Agreed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Not widely covered in the UK but President Erdogan of Turkey is demanding a stairical show on German TV is prosecuted for making fun of him. The tempo on this has quickened over the last couple of weeks.

Now Angie babe has to decide whether to suppress free speeech in Germany to keep Turkey sweet or risk upsetting them and the re-opening of the borders to a wave of immigrants.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/jan-boehmermann-stellt-angela-merkel-die-gretchenfrage-14173824.html
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

Ouch comments as you say

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/12/what-do-muslims-think-skewed-poll-wont-tell-us#comments

taffys said:

I'd assumed a Removed comment involved a four letter word or something more colourful.

Of course, mentioning where any Guardian columnist went to school is instantly censored.

It's hilarious - all very free speech until we're the subject of criticism.

runnymede said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The dark side of Guardian comments

As part of a series into the rising global phenomenon of online harassment, the Guardian commissioned research into the 70m comments left on its site since 2006 and discovered that of the 10 most abused writers eight are women, and the two men are black.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

I found that article a little odd. Typically for The Guardian it all has to be about "identity politics", I bet they didn't consider for one moment if the real correlation with abusive comments was the extent to which the correspondent wrote fatuous drivel ;)
    Writing fatuous drivel is no justification for abuse. Rebuttal and argument yes, abuse no.

A lot depends on what is meant by abuse though. Do root vegetables count for example?
    From the example Plato quoted it seems absurdly thin skinned, that example was questioning the independence and credibility of the paper and the author, which I would think was almost par for the course. Anyone viewing comments which are variations on "do you actually know what you are talking about?" as abuse, clearly is in dire need of a safe space.
    They probably thought they had found one, writing for the Guardian.
    An article rubbishing the Muslim attitudes poll is being slaughtered as we speak.
    And that's another writer who is about to moan about online abuse from the "mob". If she hadn't written such drivel then she wouldn't be getting criticised.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016

Not widely covered in the UK but President Erdogan of Turkey is demanding a stairical show on German TV is prosecuted for making fun of him. The tempo on this has quickened over the last couple of weeks.
    Now Angie babe has to decide whether to suppress free speeech in Germany to keep Turkey sweet or risk upsetting them and the re-opening of the borders to a wave of immigrants.
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/jan-boehmermann-stellt-angela-merkel-die-gretchenfrage-14173824.html

Was it the remark about goat love that triggered it?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The Foreign Office is hiring a cat to wage war on mice inside the famous building in Whitehall.
    Palmerston will be living at one of the country's most famous addresses among the UK's top diplomats and ministers."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36024340/foreign-office-employs-chief-mouser-palmerston-the-cat
  • Options
    Just heard Osborne jumping with glee that the IMF are forecasting a global catastrophe if we vote LEAVE. End of Days for the world.
  • Options
    IMF officially denounce Brexit causing severe regional and global damage and it is already affecting the UK. Not good news for Brexit if this leads today's news
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

RoyalBlue said:

Corbyn went to a good school and came out with two Es. Is any explanation needed beyond 'he's just not very bright'?

In my experience, those who got Es tended to have the most fun at sixth form. Maybe young Corbyn was a party animal at school.
    Partying or not, you have to be unfathomably stupid or lazy to get an E in a A-level.
    No you don't. Sometimes an E is a good result. In any case, if you believe the Daily Mail, 2 1960/70s Es are worth 5A*s in todays money. ;-)
    True. I was more than a bit miffed recently when I was turned down for a job which required A*AA at A level on the grounds that my third A was in General Studies (which wasn't specified in the advert). They kindly let me off the requirement for an A* as they weren't awarded back in the early 1990s, but about as many A*s are given out now as As were then. My two Bs - which would probably be As now - didn't count.

That said, it did seem a bit ridiculous to be haggling over exam grades awarded more than 20 years ago when I do have something of a career record since then! Probably best avoiding that kind of box-ticking mentality.
    Better off not getting that job.

When looking at resumes, I basically look at two things:
    1. the last job
    2. the breadth and depth of experience and accomplishment over the entire career

If someone has more than 10 years' work experience, their academic (as opposed to professional) qualifications are entirely moot. Indeed, I'd rather have a successful person with no decent academic results, than an ace student who has done nothing since.
  • Options
    End of Days - best OTT yet?
    BBC Breaking News
    ‎UK exit from EU could cause "severe regional and global damage", says International Monetary Fund http://bbc.in/1N6d02N
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,328
    edited April 2016
    IMF now leading 'live' on BBC
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Osborne mate Christine Lagarde being helpful again...
  • Options
    edited April 2016

It is worth watching. Two liberals having a sensible discussion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQHakkViPo&

That very good, it is however two intelligent liberals having a sensible discussion, not the sort of f**kwits with one hand on the keyboard that tend to comment on say, CIF.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited April 2016

IMF officially denounce Brexit causing severe regional and global damage and it is already affecting the UK. Not good news for Brexit if this leads today's news

Funny however everyone (governments, the EU etc) ignored the IMF over Greece, but as soon as we are talking about BrExit, they are back on side again.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Danny565 said:

Also, as I said last night, I predict a Baroness Warsi endorsement for Sadiq Khan before May:

https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/704772666641752064

I might be wrong but was it Mehdi who got into trouble with some of his comments on religion. Especially regarding the Kafir?

I googled the word Kafir to be sure of spelling - i got the following link

https://islamqa.info/en/59879

Dear god......... no wonder we have problems.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310

No, not good for Leave. Some will doubtless don their tinfoil hats and denounce the IMF as the puppet of Dave and 'Project Dread'. But at best that will find resonance with only the truly converted.
  • Options
    Zac Goldsmith ‎@ZacGoldsmith
    Today I launched my manifesto, setting out exactly how I'll deliver my Action Plan for Greater London. Read it here: https://backzac2016.com/manifesto

Dear Zac. The election date is only 3 weeks away... not much time before postal votes etc?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    Stephanie Flanders on R5 speaking up all the problems if we LEAVE focused on the IMF. "Will it push out into recession, one cannot say" implied implied....

Who would have thunk it, ex bbc and "friend" of Labour's lost shadow minister & leader etc etc........

Co-ordinated? Planned?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

RoyalBlue said:

You have my sympathies there. What you describe shows incredible ignorance on the part of those responsible for the recruitment process. I have heard of much the same problem confronting people who graduated in the 1970s with a 2.2 when applying for posts today requiring a minimum of a 2.1 - no attempt at all really to allow for grade inflation and changes in assessment systems. Twenty years from now it will not really matter because graduates in the job market will have completed their degrees on the basis of the same criteria being applied, but for the time being these anomalies are very unfair. Perhaps there needs to be some system devised whereby those who graduated pre circa 1988 can apply to have their qualifications regraded on a like for like basis!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

End of Days - best OTT yet?
    BBC Breaking News
    ‎UK exit from EU could cause "severe regional and global damage", says International Monetary Fund http://bbc.in/1N6d02N

Yes, it's the end of the world, again.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Zac Goldsmith ‎@ZacGoldsmith
    Today I launched my manifesto, setting out exactly how I'll deliver my Action Plan for Greater London. Read it here: https://backzac2016.com/manifesto

Dear Zac. The election date is only 3 weeks away... not much time before postal votes etc?

Just going through the motions, Mr Betting.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Stephanie Flanders on R5 speaking up all the problems if we LEAVE focused on the IMF. "Will it push out into recession, one cannot say" implied implied....

Who would have thunk it, ex bbc and "friend" of Labour's lost shadow minister & leader etc etc........

Co-ordinated? Planned?

Also works for JP Morgan (like Blair), who have given money to Remain. It stinks!
This discussion has been closed.