Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » REMAIN moves back up a touch after busy day on the referend

13»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

If The Sun is right JC may owe £180 in tax.

Hardly Dodgy Dave territory

Its £180 more than David Cameron owes
    How much IHT has Dave dodged?
    Nothing.

Even the Government gives big hints on how to legally avoid IHT's clutches.
    https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts

Almost as if they don't really want anyone to pay the tax, if at all possible...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

MrsB said:

Has it occurred to anybody of the Leave persuasion that the reason Cameron is pushing Remain so hard - including the £9m on the leaflets - because he believes it is in the best interests of the country to stay in and is having a mad panic at the idea Leave might win?

I don't believe the EU is perfect. Nor do I believe the UK wil overnight turn into a wasteland if we come out. But we went in for a reason in the 1970s: we were doing badly economically and needed to improve trade. I can't see how coming out will improve trade. We are not big enough to get good deals with the likes of China. Or the EU itself. We will still have to make sure whatever we make conforms to all the EU standards or we won't be able to sell it. We will still have to agree to the free movement of people or we won't be able to get a trade agreement on any terms that we could live with. And if we did stop Europeans coming in we would have to replace them with non-Europeans immigrants in order to keep our low paid service and hospitality industries functioning not to mention the NHS and domiciliary care. And while EU politicians are not exactly the most brilliant bunch of people,

I think we're grown up enough to govern ourselves.
    You don't see Canada, Australia or New Zealand suffering the ten biblical plagues for not being part of an economic and political union with their neighbours.

The Remain argument really does hinge on the cost of transition, and the risk of any ill will our neighbours might bear us.
    No, the Remain argument hinges on whether we prefer to be part of the decision-making process for rules which govern 45% of our export trade, or whether we prefer those rules to be determined in our absence.
    44% of goods and services trade, based

And falling.

In 1975 only 10% of our trade was with the then Common Market, admittedly only 6 members then.

UK exports to the EU were about 30% of the total in 1973. They may well be there again by 2030.

http://forbritain.org/cogchapter2.pdf
    It jumped from 20% in 1973 it seems - when we joined, according to figure 2 i

I think my 10% figure relates to the original 6, yours to the wider 28. My figure comes from the Economist.
  • Options

Is this quote from the Mirror really accurate:

' The Chancellor said he also made £3 in interest last year on savings held in a UK bank. '

Does Osborne really have a current account which doesn't pay any interest ???

We discussed it earlier. It is true.

I do wonder if he has an offset mortgage.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    Corbyn really is a walking disaster. His tax return is almost illegible. Why didn't he send it electronically. It was late, hence the £100 fine. If the Sun's story has any substance he's a liability to his party. How can he possibly complain about others not taking their responsibilities seriously, when he plainly demonstrates that he does not.
  • Options
    DairADairA Posts: 49

MaxPB said:

Its interesting that Osborne's been receiving all that dividend money from the wallpaper shares when I thought the business had been making losses most years.

Osborne and Little lost money from 2009-2013 iirc, it has done very well in the last two years.
    Has it ?

Nine million of losses between 2009 and 2014.

£722,000 profit 2014/15

2015/16 presumably not yet complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_&_Little
    It would be interesting to know how a company like this has survived for so long, especially the 70s, 80s and 90s. It seems beyond bizarre that such a company was capable of continuous business without any insolvency event throughout that period of the British Economy.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

' The Chancellor said he also made £3 in interest last year on savings held in a UK bank. '

That might make sense.

This is a problem of revealing personal financial details - it inevitably leads to further questions.
  • Options
    Fernando said:

Corbyn really is a walking disaster. His tax return is almost illegible. Why didn't he send it electronically. It was late, hence the £100 fine. If the Sun's story has any substance he's a liability to his party. How can he possibly complain about others not taking their responsibilities seriously, when he plainly demonstrates that he does not.

Guido inferring he made substantial sums from offshore sources
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

That might make sense.

This is a problem of revealing personal financial details - it inevitably leads to further questions.
    Yes. Imagine the opportunities for cold calling, telling people they are doing X or Y or Z all wrong and ought to buy advice from them to save money.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Fernando said:

I agree. I am no fan of his politics, but his real distinguishing features are his complete and total incompetence and his absence of leadership skills.

Mind you an incompetent looney leftie is better than a ruthlessly efficient one, I suppose!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hang on, we don't want Corbyn hounded out of office... not yet, anyway.
  • Options
    Fernando said:

Osbourne and Little must have had distributable reserves otherwise it couldn't have paid a dividend. These would normally come from retained profits, wouldn't they?

Preference Shares. It is quite easy to pay a dividend (even one based on "interest" using a Preference instrument). It seems reasonable to think that Osbourne might be a beneficiary of such an arrangement. Yes, the fault is that of other shareholders but it is reasonable to assume other shareholders had very limited awareness of such things.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Hang on, we don't want Corbyn hounded out of office... not yet, anyway.

You're quite right, you can't even write off Corbyn to stay to 2017 against tax !
  • Options

This is a man who promised to pay off a deficit in 5 years and will not have paid it off in 10. It is not unsurprising his personal finances would be such a pig in a poke.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ. I've tried watching this Newsnight debate on the EU, because I feel I need to know something about the arguments for/against, but the whole thing is just so dull.
  • Options
    Fernando said:

Maybe its generational, but in a circumstance like this, I would use block caps. It seems strange that he did not and his handwriting looks utterly appalling (it's worse than mine and probably lots of others, hence the use of block caps).
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    "So in the blue corner we have a man so incompetent he paid too much tax"

No, the deductions he could have claimed are debatable. If he had made the claim he would have been pilloried for doing so, now. He, or more likely his accountant, erred on the side of cautious in the knowledge that a dispute with HMRC would play very badly if it ever became public knowledge.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Its interesting that Osborne's been receiving all that dividend money from the wallpaper shares when I thought the business had been making losses most years.

Osborne and Little lost money from 2009-2013 iirc, it has done very well in the last two years.
    Has it ?

£722,000 profit 2014/15

Reading the original Sunday Times piece, Osborne and Little has been making significant operating profits for a while, but it had suffered losses due to exceptionals, goodwill, write offs, and other assorted sundries.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Danny565 said:

Christ. I've tried watching this Newsnight debate on the EU, because I feel I need to know something about the arguments for/against, but the whole thing is just so dull.

Maybe they should stick to worrying about if Justin Bieber's deadlocks are culturally appropriate.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Incidentally, judging by Baroness Warsi's twitter feed in recent times, I'm expecting her to cause a minor stir by endorsing Sadiq Khan.
  • Options

That might make sense.

This is why I'm not in favour of public release of tax records.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Has it ?

£722,000 profit 2014/15

Reading the original Sunday Times piece, Osborne and Little has been making significant operating profits for a while, but it had suffered losses due to exceptionals, goodwill, write offs, and other assorted sundries.
    It's not hard to find out:

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05794611/OSBORNE--LITTLE-GROUP-LIMITED/financial-accounts

It hadn't paid a dividend for several years, until y/e 31/3/15
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited April 2016

The real question is how much income tax has he dodged by claiming his £10k personal allowance.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Incidentally, judging by Baroness Warsi's twitter feed in recent times, I'm expecting her to cause a minor stir by endorsing Sadiq Khan.

That would not surprise me.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The real question is how much income tax has he dodged by claiming his £10k personal allowance.
    He won't get the £10K personal allowance.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

In 1975 only 10% of our trade was with the then Common Market, admittedly only 6 members then.

UK exports to the EU were about 30% of the total in 1973. They may well be there again by 2030.

http://forbritain.org/cogchapter2.pdf

It jumped from 20% in 1973 it seems - when we joined, according to figure 2 i

I think my 10% figure relates to the original 6, yours to the wider 28. My figure comes from the Economist.

The jump in exports in1973 to the 'actual' EU is due to enlargement. Exports to what became the EU-9 were about 30% of UK exports before we joined as well. Look at figure 2.iii.

I have no idea where the 10% number you quoted comes from.

And there's a further point of course which is that the current 44% and declining export share to the EU refers to a much bigger group of countries than in 1973. If we do indeed get back to around 30% by 2030 (see figure 2.ii) that will also relate to the current EU-28, not the EU-9 of 1973.

So despite substantial enlargement and the much vaunted single market we may be no more integrated in trade terms with the EU by 2030 than we were forty years ago.
  • Options
    DairA said:

I'm moderately proud of this tweet

twitter.com/dair_allan/status/719642471156838401

Hadn't realised PFI was around fifty years ago ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

He won't get the £10K personal allowance.
    Managed to dodge that aswell.... ;)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    RobD said:

Not a single penny. If you earn over £121,000 you get no personal allowance.
  • Options
    Lots of partisan hysteria on both sides over tax. Getting boring now.
  • Options

RobD said:

Not a single penny. If you earn over £121,000 you get no personal allowance.
    Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot!
  • Options
    There is speculation in The Times that the politician to be most damaged by the release of tax returns is Nigel Farage, who is adamant he will not published.

Given his past form on his MEP allowances, you can see how his opponents will spin it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Has it ?

£722,000 profit 2014/15

Such as Debentures held in an offshore trust which paid dividends to unknown UK residents?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821

viewcode said:

@FPT Richard Nabavi: re shareholders

Thanks for the view.
    You're welcome, though I'm not sure I was any use at all. I occasionally[1] surf the net for tech hints and tips and I am constantly annoyed by the IMMENSE number of people who respond to the question "how do I do X" with "why do you want to do X, what you want to do is Y". So I hope my answer, although inadequate, at least addressed the question you asked.

[1] well, once every five seconds... :)
  • Options
    DairA said:

MaxPB said:

Has it ?

£722,000 profit 2014/15

Such as Debentures held in an offshore trust which paid dividends to unknown UK residents?
    You can download the accounts for yourself, so there's no need for libellous speculation.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

He hasn't. That statement is potentially libellous. There has been nothing to suggest that on his father's death the executors of his father's estate did not pay all the tax that was due. Unless you know differently? And Cameron's mother is still alive.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @bigjohnowls

'How much IHT has Dave dodged?'

Can you remind us how much IHT was paid on Tony Benn's £ 5 million estate ?
  • Options
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Danny565

'Christ. I've tried watching this Newsnight debate on the EU, because I feel I need to know something about the arguments for/against, but the whole thing is just so dull.'

Problem was when the 'experts' were speaking they were constantly interrupted and talked over by Mandelson
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Great article on the US election in the context of US electoral history:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/history/americas-economic-history/why-are-the-us-elections-so-important/

Dodgy Dave - 788 790 Finchley Road, South Africa 1989 trip, Carlton Kengate tape scandal, Carroll Foundation Trust. Not often I agree with Dennis Skinner, but the dodgy Dave quote was right on the mark.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

'How much IHT has Dave dodged?'

Can you remind us how much IHT was paid on Tony Benn's £ 5 million estate ?

Every penny that was due under the law.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Fernando said:

Corbyn really is a walking disaster. His tax return is almost illegible. Why didn't he send it electronically.

Like I wrote earlier, MPs are not allowed to send in returns electronically. You have to use a special MP form which is tailored to fit with the expense report from the House, and it has to be done by hand (or with a typewriter, I suppose).
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Fernando said:

Corbyn really is a walking disaster. His tax return is almost illegible. Why didn't he send it electronically.

Like I wrote earlier, MPs are not allowed to send in returns electronically. You have to use a special MP form which is tailored to fit with the expense report from the House, and it has to be done by hand (or with a typewriter, I suppose).
    So they'd be up against the end of October deadline for filing a paper return? But I thought Corbyn's 100 quid fine came from filing in early February?
  • Options
    Trump: Hillary does not have the judgment to be President...
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Fernando said:

So they'd be up against the end of October deadline for filing a paper return? But I thought Corbyn's 100 quid fine came from filing in early February?
    Apparently MPs have until end of Jan to submit their paper returns.
  • Options
    Trump: Hillary is being protected by the Democrats over the emails, but she's as guilty as hell. Her whole life is a big, fat beautiful lie!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Thanks for the view.
    You're welcome, though I'm not sure I was any use at all. I occasionally[1] surf the net for tech hints and tips and I am constantly annoyed by the IMMENSE number of people who respond to the question "how do I do X" with "why do you want to do X, what you want to do is Y". So I hope my answer, although inadequate, at least addressed the question you asked.

You should be reading the manual first before surfing for tech hints and tips.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I emailed my brother in New York to ask him whether it is [Name1] and [Name2] or whether it is [Name3] and [Name4] (or somebody else) but he emailed back pretending not to know what I was referring to... #spoilsport
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Remember how the Edinburgh schools story "could only be good news for the SNP"?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/snp-accused-of-refusing-calls-for-school-building-checks-1-4096553
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Thanks for the view.

You should be reading the manual first before surfing for tech hints and tips.
    Where's the fun in that? ;)
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

I emailed my brother in New York to ask him whether it is [Name1] and [Name2] or whether it is [Name3] and [Name4] (or somebody else) but he emailed back pretending not to know what I was referring to... #spoilsport

The Pop Bitch guide to "spotting the injuncter" is handy:

http://popbitch.com/home/2016/03/31/up-the-injunction/
    Clearly inspired by my earlier guide on pb!
    It's actually quite funny to see the random and miscellaneous extensive coverage the celebrity couple has been getting over the past week.
    And it's provided a perfect illustration of the Streisand effect - if the original story had run It would pretty much have sunk without trace "One half of celebrity couple plays away shocker" - up there with "dog bites man" - now it will be dragged out and explored in minute detail.....well, the Lawyers will be happy....
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.