Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We need to re-think next CON leader betting following Camer

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Top tip: avoid inheritance tax by not dying.

Point of order, it is not the person who dies that gets taxed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Charles said:

Speedy said:

@FrancisUrquhart

So it's Sunday at last, I waited 3 days, so what is that amusing scandal then that was advertised to be unveiled on Sunday ?

It is published, it is very interesting reading, but we aren't allowed to mention it (and no it is not some crazy 89-90 whatever it is Lizard Illuminati conspiracy). I posted an interesting but not scandalous sideline from it and it got pulled.
    which newspaper should I look at?

I'm assuming that it's neither superinjunction or ++Justin?
    Check your vanilla.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Speedy said:

Charles said:

Speedy said:

@FrancisUrquhart

So it's Sunday at last, I waited 3 days, so what is that amusing scandal then that was advertised to be unveiled on Sunday ?

It is published, it is very interesting reading, but we aren't allowed to mention it (and no it is not some crazy 89-90 whatever it is Lizard Illuminati conspiracy). I posted an interesting but not scandalous sideline from it and it got pulled.

As I said, its not in a newspaper. It concerns a number of newspapers written by an established journo.
    Not the phone hacking scandal again ?
    No.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

Emergency closure of Edinburgh PFI schools leaves 9,000 pupils with nowhere to go - over to you Nicola !!

Built under a pfi deal signed by a labour council with a labour gov in Holyrood and Labour government in Westminster.

This is a massive gift to the SNP.
    Non SNP supporting @DavidL is being straight down the middle with this one. In Carlotta world of course EVERYTHING is the SNP's fault.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

“We understand that all of the affected buildings in Edinburgh were completed over 10 years ago."

Labour's watch to be fair to the SNP.

Or failure of maintenance under the SNP - like the Forth Road Bridge?
    This is supposed to be a PFI contract so the cost of and responsibility for maintenance should be on the contractor.

It is slightly alarming that contractor seems incapable of building a wall that is strong enough to avoid being blown over or stick wall panels to the side of a building. I wondered if they had used plasticene instead of cement.

I would be looking at who signed off this work as fit for purpose. And they should be looking out their insurance policies.
    Given the one-sided nature of most PFI contracts for buildings I expect Edinburgh council will have to pay penalties to the contractor for Edinburgh being too windy.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

Charles said:

Speedy said:

@FrancisUrquhart

As I said, its not in a newspaper. It concerns a number of newspapers written by an established journo.
    No.
    So from all the bits and pieces you've revealed on Thursday and today, it's a scandal involving newspapers and the article is written by a journalist from the Independent.

It's a newspaper scandal but not the phone hacking one ?
    It's like playing charades.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@theSNP: .@NicolaSturgeon confirms she will publish her tax returns today. #ScotlandsTalkIn

Poor Scott , shown up yet again. What can you whine about next, imaginary Chinese deals again , imaginary Souter's at meetings.
    I'm disappointed in Nicola. She's so popular and the SNP in such a strong position she could have said stuff it to the demands and maybe we wouldn't go down this route in future.
    She pontificated on morality of tax avoidance so she is fair game.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Charles said:

Speedy said:

@FrancisUrquhart

No.
    So from all the bits and pieces you've revealed on Thursday and today, it's a scandal involving newspapers and the article is written by a journalist from the Independent.

Its film...its book...3 words...no just joking...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

It's an interesting question, isn't it?

According to the Eurobarometer survey, the three countries with the highest shares for "my country would be better off outside the EU" are France, Slovenia and the UK. (We top the list with just 43% of people disagreeing. Albeit there's a 16% or so of "don't knows".)

I suspect there are two things that would prevent mass departures: 1. I think there would be a desire to see how the UK fared outside the EU, before committing. If we were a beacon of success, that would clearly make a big difference. 2. It's a lot harder for a Eurozone country to leave the EU than us. Intriguingly, support for the Euro seems to be higher than support for the EU in most countries.)

Fair points, especially that about how much more difficult it would be for a EZ country to disentangle themselves. However, I would not put that as too much a barrier. If sufficient people of a state have got the hump they will, I think, vote to leave. Even governments can change course. There was, what seemed to me to be, a credible article in the Telegraph yesterday explaining how and why Germany might actually pull the plug.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited April 2016
    Haggis is disgusting..no matter what it is served with.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

“We understand that all of the affected buildings in Edinburgh were completed over 10 years ago."

Labour's watch to be fair to the SNP.

Or failure of maintenance under the SNP - like the Forth Road Bridge?
    This is supposed to be a PFI contract so the cost of and responsibility for maintenance should be on the contractor.

It is slightly alarming that contractor seems incapable of building a wall that is strong enough to avoid being blown over or stick wall panels to the side of a building. I wondered if they had used plasticene instead of cement.

I would be looking at who signed off this work as fit for purpose. And they should be looking out their insurance policies.
    The sudden switch from "everything is fine" to "not fit for occupation" is slightly teriffying. I'm hoping it is more a case of a theoretical problem that needs to be checked in a better safe than sorry way rather than an actual real identified systematic problem.
  • Options

Haggis is disgusting..no matter what it is served with.

Eat better haggis.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Charles said:

Speedy said:

@FrancisUrquhart

No.

Its film...its book...3 words...no just joking...
    Why not post a link or tinyurl?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,779
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@theSNP: .@NicolaSturgeon confirms she will publish her tax returns today. #ScotlandsTalkIn

Poor Scott , shown up yet again. What can you whine about next, imaginary Chinese deals again , imaginary Souter's at meetings.
    I'm disappointed in Nicola. She's so popular and the SNP in such a strong position she could have said stuff it to the demands and maybe we wouldn't go down this route in future.
    She pontificated on morality of tax avoidance so she is fair game.
    Of course she is, everyone is fair game. I just don't like this route toward required disclosure of tax returns, and she is strong enough to defy any demands.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Top tip: avoid inheritance tax by not dying.

Point of order, it is not the person who dies that gets taxed.
    Well, they're hardly in a position to pay, are they?

But it's their estate which does get taxed, which is the next best thing...
This discussion has been closed.