Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters TV show looks at the Sanders

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited March 2016

I see the Telegraph has updated the look of their website...and it is UGGGGLLLLYYYY...what is it with all the newspaper websites looking like total messes.

The Times have updated their website in the last day, it is fecking horrible.

There's no longer a dedicated section for politics now, just buried under a generic News section.

Ditto cricket, football, and rugby, all buried under a generic Sports section.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218

Othering alert..

'Scots are to the left of the rest of Britain on almost every issue'

http://tinyurl.com/gpxecus

Pity Nicola bottled 50p tax then.....tho encouragingly for her 'Named Person' plan Scots are slightly more right wing on 'role of government' (and 'internet regulation')......
    A rise and a bite.

From your deep, intimate knowledge of Scottish politics gained through the pages of the Telegraph, Mail and Hootsmon, how many seats do you think the SNP are going to lose in May over the 50p tax & Named Person issues?

• Options
    There may be trouble ahead:

The Office for National Statistics has been told to launch an urgent review of Britain’s official immigration figures ahead of the European Union referendum amid concerns they may be wrong, The Telegraph can disclose.

In a development which will intensify public debate about immigration ahead of the June 23 vote, the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA) has written to the head of the ONS pointing out “speculation about the quality” of migration figures.

The watchdog said the public must be told if official immigration data “falls short of providing a full picture”.

Campaigners described the watchdog’s letter as “extraordinary”.

The letter revealed the UKSA’s concerns focus on differences between ONS migration figures and data produced by other government departments - which have shown a discrepancy of more than a million EU migrants over the last five years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/30/british-public-must-be-told-truth-about-immigration-figures-ahea/

• Options
    On topic, Stephen Bush thinks the next Labour leader, if Corbyn isn't toppled and loses in 2020 might be from, Heidi Alexander, Jon Ashworth, and Chris Bryant.

Bests odds, 40/1, 50/1, and 31/1 respectively
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Othering alert..

Pity Nicola bottled 50p tax then.....tho encouragingly for her 'Named Person' plan Scots are slightly more right wing on 'role of government' (and 'internet regulation')......
    A rise and a bite.

From your deep, intimate knowledge of Scottish politics gained through the pages of the Telegraph, Mail and Hootsmon, how many seats do you think the SNP are going to lose in May over the 50p tax & Named Person issues?

As a Tory, if the SNP decide to implement Tory tax policies does it matter how many seats the SNP win or lose? As long as the yellow Tories are implementing Tory policy north of the border that's all that matters.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    weejonnie said:

Charles said:

I was surprised by an article on the BBC News site yesterday claiming that children should know 200 words by their third birthday. it seems rather low: does anyone have more information, for instance what is meant by 'know' ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35917037

My 4 year old has started to use the word "prefer" correctly*. A lot. I have no idea whether this is normal or not...

* As in "I'd prefer not to do what you told me, Daddy, I'd rather do this instead"
    Precocious

"Grow your toddler’s vocabulary
    Language skills grow rapidly in the third year. A typical 2-year-old knows 20-200 words. A typical 3-year-old knows about 1,000 words.

Also very exciting is that between ages 2 and 3, most children have developed the language and grammar skills to have a real conversation with you. Your child will be able to put words together into 2- and 3-word sentences: More apple, You play, Car mine. By the time your child is 3, she will be able to put together three to four words to convey a thought such as, I got new shoes. She is probably also beginning to ask her first questions, usually ones beginning with What or Where such as, What dat?
    "

In the third year female brains start being active in the left hemisphere - language. Male brains develop later, so young boys are usually well behind young girls in language.

This causes problems when learning to read at school - as boys will still use the whole-word approach (right hemisphere) and the girls will start to use word building/ phonics. Guess which system schools push (bearing in mind that 125% of primary teachers are female.)
    Isn't the difference in female/male language acquisition as babies a nurture rather than nature artifact caused by parents underestimating female babies ability to safely crawl&walk compared to boys, resulting in baby girls being made to stick closer to parents thus picking up more language skills while boy babies are allowed to wanderer more freely getting less language practice?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

TOPPING said:

And BS EU Leave story of the day.....

Brexit could have 'big effect' on football

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35919247

You have to get two thirds of the way through the article until a law professor basically says yeah, but the UK would just change the law to adjust.

I agree the story, its use and its premise are bolleaux but...you do hear of non-EU players on occasion having visa difficulties so might not be completely straightforward and instantly solvable...
    Certainly a difference in the employablity of EU vs non EU players in cricket.
    I am interested to know how local "Premier League" teams don't seem to have a problem getting non-EU overseas pros for the season.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

YouGov have rebutted Matt Singh's analysis

Why YouGov has the upper hand in EU referendum polling. The anonymity of online polls makes it easier for people to give their real opinions – while convenience makes them better at reaching social liberals

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/03/31/analysis-why-yougov-has-upper-hand-eu-referendum-p/

Does one trust Matt Singh or Peter Kellner. Boy that's a TOUGH one.

No, really, don't laugh too hard !

But really, we've got JackW and Matt Singh going for a Remain victory.

I know where my money is going
    I'll see what Matt and Jack are saying nearer to the time. My spidey senses definitely have it for remain now though, for sure.
    I think if Arron Banks mob gets the official Leave designation, that's when I'll be going balls deep backing Remain
    I trust the electoral commission to chose the best campaign in a near vacuum consisting only of case merits and not to be unduly influenced by threats of litigation.

• Options

On topic, Stephen Bush thinks the next Labour leader, if Corbyn isn't toppled and loses in 2020 might be from, Heidi Alexander, Jon Ashworth, and Chris Bryant.

Chris Bryant as leader...for real...come off it.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Patrick said:

Some of the alternative materials are very expensive.

Hmm...sounds like steel is going to become uncompetitive altogether to me. Mining the ore, moving it, melting it - it's all inherently and unavoidably energy intensive. Plastics and advanced materials are expensive(ish) because they don't have economies of scale. Look at the price of carbon fibre or Kevlar - they've been on a sort of Moore's Law reduction over recent years as their usage explodes. C60 Buckminsterfullerene looks set to become a viable super-material. And it's easy to make. Industrial demand for bronze collapsed when a better material (iron / steel) came along. Steel has had its day. Almost all engineering applications will be better served with cheaper, lighter, stronger materials.

Well be using steel in high quantities at the end of this century imo, it's just too versatile. In the automotive sector most of the steel \ plastic replacement has already taken place and steel is still about 500-700kilos per car. In bodyshells steels ability to crumple is seen as a favourable characteristic for vehicle safey. In a crash the steel crumples and absorbs the shock of an impact, comparble plastics tend to snap and will come into the body compartment and slice you in half.

Your choice :-)
    I guess plastic body shells could deal with the steel industry problem *and* the ageing population problem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why YouGov has the upper hand in EU referendum polling. The anonymity of online polls makes it easier for people to give their real opinions – while convenience makes them better at reaching social liberals

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/03/31/analysis-why-yougov-has-upper-hand-eu-referendum-p/

I'll see what Matt and Jack are saying nearer to the time. My spidey senses definitely have it for remain now though, for sure.
    I think if Arron Banks mob gets the official Leave designation, that's when I'll be going balls deep backing Remain
    Given the absolutely pants Remain campaign so far them getting the designation is about the only thing left that could make me vote Remain rather than Leave.

Any idea when we get the designation?
  • Options
    Scottish mosque figures linked to banned sectarian group

Head of religious events at Glasgow Central Mosque Sabir Ali and the leader of Polwarth Mosque in Edinburgh Hafiz Abdul Hamid have both occupied senior positions in its UK branch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35928089

Glasgow Central Mosque again...
  • Options

Chris Bryant as leader...for real...come off it.
    I want it to happen. I think I might do a thread on it this weekend, and use this photograph

http://russia-insider.com/sites/insider/files/bryante2801_468x389.jpg
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

You have to get two thirds of the way through the article until a law professor basically says yeah, but the UK would just change the law to adjust.

I agree the story, its use and its premise are bolleaux but...you do hear of non-EU players on occasion having visa difficulties so might not be completely straightforward and instantly solvable...
    I am interested to know how local "Premier League" teams don't seem to have a problem getting non-EU overseas pros for the season.
    My pleasure.

Currently, players must have played at least 75% of their country's internationals over the past two years. That will now change according to ranking. Players must play at least 30% of matches in the last two years if their country is in the top 10, 45% if ranked between 11th and 20th, 60% between 21st and 30th and 75% if between 31st and 50th.
    Player currently must have played for a country in the top 70 when rankings are averaged over two years. That will be lowered to the top 50.
    All players are currently measured over the last two years. The new regulations will allow leeway for players aged 21 or under to only fulfil the criteria for the previous 12 months.
    The FA estimates that 33% of the players who gained entry under the old system would not have been granted a work visa under the new rules. That means that over the last five years there would have been 42 fewer non-European players playing in the Premier and Football Leagues.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Given the absolutely pants Remain campaign so far them getting the designation is about the only thing left that could make me vote Remain rather than Leave.

I think it is April the 14th
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

My pleasure.

Currently, players must have played at least 75% of their country's internationals over the past two years. That will now change according to ranking. Players must play at least 30% of matches in the last two years if their country is in the top 10, 45% if ranked between 11th and 20th, 60% between 21st and 30th and 75% if between 31st and 50th.
    Player currently must have played for a country in the top 70 when rankings are averaged over two years. That will be lowered to the top 50.
    All players are currently measured over the last two years. The new regulations will allow leeway for players aged 21 or under to only fulfil the criteria for the previous 12 months.
    The FA estimates that 33% of the players who gained entry under the old system would not have been granted a work visa under the new rules. That means that over the last five years there would have been 42 fewer non-European players playing in the Premier and Football Leagues.
    No...cricket...sorry it wasn't clear when my reply got cut...but that is why it is said local and premier league, which is the highest levels of local cricket. Pretty much every team in those leagues has an overseas pro.
  • Options
    Turkey has apparently taken what one might call a "proactive" approach to reducing migrant numbers.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Some of the alternative materials are very expensive.

Hmm...sounds like steel is going to become uncompetitive altogether to me. Mining the ore, moving it, melting it - it's all inherently and unavoidably energy intensive. Plastics and advanced materials are expensive(ish) because they don't have economies of scale. Look at the price of carbon fibre or Kevlar - they've been on a sort of Moore's Law reduction over recent years as their usage explodes. C60 Buckminsterfullerene looks set to become a viable super-material. And it's easy to make. Industrial demand for bronze collapsed when a better material (iron / steel) came along. Steel has had its day. Almost all engineering applications will be better served with cheaper, lighter, stronger materials.

As far as I was aware there has been no advancement in industrial production of carbon nano materials.

They all appear to be trivially easy to produce in labs, have supeb material properties and completely impossible to produce in industrial quantities/sizes.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Peter Kellner has left YouGov, so it's Stephan Shakespeare
    Precisely 8 years to the day as it happens, on 31 March 2008, I bought a small parcel of 1000 shares in YouGov at a cost of £1,530, i.e. 153p per share, probably as a result of my interest in PB.com in paricular and politics in general.
    All this time later and these shares have yet to show me even a modest profit. Still at their current value of 135 p per share, they have certainly recovered from those dreadful days when they collapsed to as low as 30p per share.
  • Options

Neutral, core group negative, neutral respectively

Owen Smith strikes me as a better call.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Chris 'Underpants' Bryant? Ha Ha.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Charles said:

I was surprised by an article on the BBC News site yesterday claiming that children should know 200 words by their third birthday. it seems rather low: does anyone have more information, for instance what is meant by 'know' ?

My 4 year old has started to use the word "prefer" correctly*. A lot. I have no idea whether this is normal or not...

* As in "I'd prefer not to do what you told me, Daddy, I'd rather do this instead"
    Precocious

Language skills grow rapidly in the third year. A typical 2-year-old knows 20-200 words. A typical 3-year-old knows about 1,000 words.

Also very exciting is that between ages 2 and 3, most children have developed the language and grammar skills to have a real conversation with you. Your child will be able to put words together into 2- and 3-word sentences: More apple, You play, Car mine. By the time your child is 3, she will be able to put together three to four words to convey a thought such as, I got new shoes. She is probably also beginning to ask her first questions, usually ones beginning with What or Where such as, What dat?
    "

In the third year female brains start being active in the left hemisphere - language. Male brains develop later, so young boys are usually well behind young girls in language.

This causes problems when learning to read at school - as boys will still use the whole-word approach (right hemisphere) and the girls will start to use word building/ phonics. Guess which system schools push (bearing in mind that 125% of primary teachers are female.)
    Isn't the difference in female/male language acquisition as babies a nurture rather than nature artifact caused by parents underestimating female babies ability to safely crawl&walk compared to boys, resulting in baby girls being made to stick closer to parents thus picking up more language skills while boy babies are allowed to wanderer more freely getting less language practice?
    Lot of mixed up stuff here. Somewhere in it some correct IMHO. Some the result of predujice!
  • Options
    All the clever people are backing Remain

https://twitter.com/Scientists4EU/status/715463610110226432
  • Options
    watford30 said:

He has since been renamed Chris "Delilah" Bryant...
  • Options

Head of religious events at Glasgow Central Mosque Sabir Ali and the leader of Polwarth Mosque in Edinburgh Hafiz Abdul Hamid have both occupied senior positions in its UK branch.

There was a mass resignatio a little while ago as protest against alleged bullying by the conservative faction in the Mosque. All does not seem to be well.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Neutral, core group negative, neutral respectively

Owen Smith strikes me as a better call.
    I agree
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Charles said:

Precocious

"

I was under the general impression that girls develop faster than boys as a whole, including as infants. The idea that girls could have a nature rather than nurture reason for getting better at language early on wouldn't surprise me.

In my limited experience baby girls can crawl, toddle and walk better than similar aged baby boys can so the nurture effects you named should be reversed.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Precisely 8 years to the day as it happens, on 31 March 2008, I bought a small parcel of 1000 shares in YouGov at a cost of £1,530, i.e. 153p per share, probably as a result of my interest in PB.com in paricular and politics in general.
    All this time later and these shares have yet to show me even a modest profit. Still at their current value of 135 p per share, they have certainly recovered from those dreadful days when they collapsed to as low as 30p per share.

What dividends have you received from them though ?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

//twitter.com/Scientists4EU/status/715463610110226432

One is inclined to enquire as to where their funding comes from...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks. That's a lot later than I'd thought.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I would get in now on Remain if the price is good, regardless of which of the two groups get the nomination as lead campaigner. Both groups are equally poor, and neither have a convincing argument as to what kind of Brexit solution is likely to result from a vote to leave.

The campaign hasn't really started yet, but despite this they are already totally embroiled in what has largely been total nonsense and the public are fast switching off. They may not engage again until the last moment, at which point they will see on one side, the PM and the government, and on the other side what is probably no more than a rabble who can't even agree with each other.

Although I'm campaigning for "leave", with either Vote Leave or Leave EU the difference is negligible - and without some game changing event we are going to lose. Big.
  • Options
    @Thescreamingeagles 12% have had research funding applications to the EU turned down.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

[snip]

The letter revealed the UKSA’s concerns focus on differences between ONS migration figures and data produced by other government departments - which have shown a discrepancy of more than a million EU migrants over the last five years.

Here are the mid-year population estimates for 2011 published by ONS in 2013:

http://tinyurl.com/j2t46mb

The estimate of 56,170,900 was slightly higher than the Census estimate of 56,075,912 (March, 2011).

This suggests to me that if something has started to go wrong with population estimates it has happened since the 2011 Census.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

watford30 said:

He has since been renamed Chris "Delilah" Bryant...
    Has he inadvertently coined the 'dead prostitute' strategy as a means of distracting from an embarrassing personal story?
  • Options

I see the Telegraph has updated the look of their website...and it is UGGGGLLLLYYYY...what is it with all the newspaper websites looking like total messes.

Clearly not entirely coincidentally, The Times has also redesigned its website and I think it looks much better and is far easier to navigate.
    That said, what I find frustrating about subscribing online is the fact that one only has access to a tiny, tiny element of the hard copy edition of the newspaper.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks. That's a lot later than I'd thought.
    It was originally going to be tomorrow, but are taking their time, to make sure their decision can survive judicial review
  • Options

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Charles said:

Precocious

"

I was under the general impression that girls develop faster than boys as a whole, including as infants. The idea that girls could have a nature rather than nurture reason for getting better at language early on wouldn't surprise me.

In my limited experience baby girls can crawl, toddle and walk better than similar aged baby boys can so the nurture effects you named should be reversed.
    Girls and boys do just as well at crawling/early walking as babies
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11063631
  • Options

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

As a Tory, if the SNP decide to implement Tory tax policies does it matter how many seats the SNP win or lose? As long as the yellow Tories are implementing Tory policy north of the border that's all that matters.
    In that case the SNP not implementing Osbo's 40% tax rate threshold going up to £45k must be an awfy disappointment to you and other Daily Express types.

http://tinyurl.com/j7em47k
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I would get in now on Remain if the price is good, regardless of which of the two groups get the nomination as lead campaigner. Both groups are equally poor, and neither have a convincing argument as to what kind of Brexit solution is likely to result from a vote to leave.

The campaign hasn't really started yet, but despite this they are already totally embroiled in what has largely been total nonsense and the public are fast switching off. They may not engage again until the last moment, at which point they will see on one side, the PM and the government, and on the other side what is probably no more than a rabble who can't even agree with each other.

Although I'm campaigning for "leave", with either Vote Leave or Leave EU the difference is negligible - and without some game changing event we are going to lose. Big.
    I've got a balanced book so far on the EURef, it hasn't gotten my attention in the way the American Presidential race has.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    TCPoliticalBetting

Not sure I agree that a decline in SNP/Nicola is inevitable even in the medium term.

The SNP has risen substantially in popularity since it gained office in 2007. Salmond stayed at positive popularity ratings throughout his eight years in office, almost unheard of in a democratic system. However, Sturgeon shows every sign of doing the same. The new powers will not change that dynamic since the SNP have sensibly avoided the daftness of Labour and Greens in suggesting hiking every tax rate (or the indirect tax bombshells of the Tories in £9,000 tuition fees) and instead opted for a relatively mild redistribution of income tax and Council Tax towards the lower paid.

The NATS retain a radical cutting edge on the issues of Trident, renewable power, land reform and of course independence. They are despite an incredibly hostile old fashioned press a competent Government by UK standards - compare for example their solution on saving Scottish steel to the total confusion of the Tories. On that formula barring accidents (and events dear boy events) the SNP is set for a further long run of dominance.

• Options

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I've got a balanced book so far on the EURef, it hasn't gotten my attention in the way the American Presidential race has.
    Unfortunately for me, I've been engaged in almost nothing else for the last six months! I can't wait for it to be over....
  • Options

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

In that case the SNP not implementing Osbo's 40% tax rate threshold going up to £45k must be an awfy disappointment to you and other Daily Express types.

If it means more higher rate Scottish tax payers going south of the border and paying taxes to the UK rather than devolved Scotland then it's good news for us, bad news for Scotland.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

My pleasure.

No...cricket...sorry it wasn't clear when my reply got cut...but that is why it is said local and premier league, which is the highest levels of local cricket. Pretty much every team in those leagues has an overseas pro.
    ah soz
  • Options

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

SNP tax policy is a quantum policy. Depending on the observer it is a vicious communist assault on 'middle' earners and simultaneously identical to Tory policy.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

[snip]

The estimate of 56,170,900 was slightly higher than the Census estimate of 56,075,912 (March, 2011).

This suggests to me that if something has started to go wrong with population estimates it has happened since the 2011 Census.
    I don't get why it's so hard to count people in and out.

It's a simple addition/subtraction. We're an island !

All you need is a sum of the airport, port, Eurostar and birth/deaths data additions and subtractions.
  • Options

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I have an exceptionally balanced book on EURef

Remain +0
    Leave +0

I do not foresee this changing.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

I daren't look at what the US markets are doing right now !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

[snip]

All you need is a sum of the airport, port, Eurostar and birth/deaths data additions and subtractions.
    I don't think we count people leaving the country. Not once have I seen anyone sat at the ONS desk at Heathrow when I've travelled to and from there. They basically rely upon the a (relatively) small sample of interview with people coming and going.

Personally, however, I'm more suspicious of what's going on with NI. If you get a NI number does that entitle you to benefits?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Very modest dividends ..... currently 1p per share, therefore a yield of well under 1% p.a. Still no doubt the company has provided an exceptionally comfortable living for Mr. Kellner and others.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

I've decided I no longer want a brokered convention.

It will only lead to losses with the time zone differences, me falling asleep and missing the big votes/market moves
  • Options

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

If it means more higher rate Scottish tax payers going south of the border and paying taxes to the UK rather than devolved Scotland then it's good news for us, bad news for Scotland.
    So the SNP is simultaneously implementing Tory Tax policy, and not implementing Tory Tax policy? You seem a little confused.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

I don't care as I AM OUT.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

The response of the headbanger Leavers to Nicky Morgan's entirely reasonable point was an indication of how loosely tethered some of them are to reality. Either Britain has freedom of movement with EU countries or it does not. If it does not, there will be more bureaucracy and paperwork for those wishing to travel to them. That is the point of abandoning freedom of movement: it's not going to be one way only.

It might be thought that is a price worth paying but it is loopy to think that there is no price.

Loopy Leave headbanger Nick Robinson repeated Nicky Morgan's claim that inter-railing would not be possible following Brexit. Which is very strange considering she never made such a claim...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Very modest dividends ..... currently 1p per share, therefore a yield of well under 1% p.a. Still no doubt the company has provided an exceptionally comfortable living for Mr. Kellner and others.
    Sorry to rub it in, but in the last few years, I've received £300 from YouGov for filling in their polls.
  • Options

The response of the headbanger Leavers to Nicky Morgan's entirely reasonable point was an indication of how loosely tethered some of them are to reality. Either Britain has freedom of movement with EU countries or it does not. If it does not, there will be more bureaucracy and paperwork for those wishing to travel to them. That is the point of abandoning freedom of movement: it's not going to be one way only.

It might be thought that is a price worth paying but it is loopy to think that there is no price.

Loopy Leave headbanger Nick Robinson repeated Nicky Morgan's claim that inter-railing would not be possible following Brexit. Which is very strange considering she never made such a claim...
    I’m fairly sure inter-railing preceded the EU.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

The lure of idiots will draw you back.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

[snip]

HMG clearly has no idea, who is here, and in what numbers.
  • Options

There seems to have been an ongoing power struggle between reactionary & liberal groups at the Glasgow mosque which the latter was losing. With a bit of luck the disinfectant of sunlight will put the dinosaurs' gas at a peep.

Hopefully we never reach the stage of exporting Islamist murder to a neighbour.
  • Options
    London’s status as the world’s legal capital could be under threat from years of turmoil if Britain chooses to leave the EU, a specialist in international law has warned.

Daniel Hart said decisions by UK courts command respect around the globe and are widely recognised by other countries, but that reputation could be put in jeopardy by a vote to leave the EU in June.

He said a vast swathe of international legal treaties would have to be renegotiated. Some lawyers warn this could take up to 10 years....

.....Clauses are regularly inserted into international contracts stating where any disputes will be heard. English courts are a favourite destination. “There are lots of benefits of suing in England, one is it has so many global links, and when you get an English judgment globally it is much more favourable than using another country’s judgment,” said Mr Hart. “The fact is people appreciate English laws.”

But he added that in the event of a Brexit some firms might ask: “Do I want to keeping putting England as the dispute resolution place? We are now in a time where there’s increasing competition from a lot of other forums.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/brexit-could-threaten-london-s-position-as-the-world-s-legal-capital-a3214781.html
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Philip_Thompson

No it won't basically because you will have to be a Scottish registered tax payer (for three years) to get the benefits of free education etc. No-one is going to move for a few hundred quid on tax allowances when they have better services, council tax, education, free prescriptions, personal care etc etc etc.

That wouldn't apply to a top tax differential which is why Sturgeon has given it a sensible body swerve. As it happens Labour's decision to back (and abstain on the Commons vote) Osbornes's top tax allowance give-a-way is one of the unwritten stories from the budget!
  • Options

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

So the SNP is simultaneously implementing Tory Tax policy, and not implementing Tory Tax policy? You seem a little confused.
    Schroedinger's SNP
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sorry to rub it in, but in the last few years, I've received £300 from YouGov for filling in their polls.
    It couldn't have gone to a more deserving cause, even if, I think you will find, you have been working for the equivalent of less than £1 per hour.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    There was of course no legal system in the UK before 1973. What a load of sh*t.
  • Options
    Vote Remain to stop lawyers becoming destitute.

That's me convinced to back Remain, and the country too.
  • Options

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought the Hunt-Morgan-Panic was summarised as "You'll all be dead because we won't be able to afford an NHS, and you'll be poorly educated because we won't be able to afford teachers, because our economy WILL TANK AND KILL US ALL if we leave"

Dead people can't inter-rail, and poorly educated dead people can't even speak the language when they get there.

Have I got this right?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It couldn't have gone to a more deserving cause, even if, I think you will find, you have been working for the equivalent of less than £1 per hour.
    To be honest, I don't do it for the money, is useful to know when a poll is in the field
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Shooting migrants isn't quite what Tusk expected :wink:
    Pulpstar said:

Turkey has apparently taken what one might call a "proactive" approach to reducing migrant numbers.

• Options
    Andrew Neil
    ORB poll: Remain 51% (+3%); Leave 49% (-3%). Majority of Tory voters (56%) back quit. Online BMG poll: 41% Remain, 45% Leave, 14% undecided
  • Options

You should create leaflets, and campaign based on that.
  • Options

London’s status as the world’s legal capital could be under threat from years of turmoil if Britain chooses to leave the EU, a specialist in international law has warned.

Daniel Hart said decisions by UK courts command respect around the globe and are widely recognised by other countries, but that reputation could be put in jeopardy by a vote to leave the EU in June.

He said a vast swathe of international legal treaties would have to be renegotiated. Some lawyers warn this could take up to 10 years....

.....Clauses are regularly inserted into international contracts stating where any disputes will be heard. English courts are a favourite destination. “There are lots of benefits of suing in England, one is it has so many global links, and when you get an English judgment globally it is much more favourable than using another country’s judgment,” said Mr Hart. “The fact is people appreciate English laws.”

But he added that in the event of a Brexit some firms might ask: “Do I want to keeping putting England as the dispute resolution place? We are now in a time where there’s increasing competition from a lot of other forums.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/brexit-could-threaten-london-s-position-as-the-world-s-legal-capital-a3214781.html

It also, according to Private Eye anyway, allows claims for defamation by dodgy politicians etc from Eastern Europe against local media on the basis tht there might have been one reader in the UK. Or something like that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

Schroedinger's SNP
    I'm sure there are loads of Yoons who'd like to put the SNP in a sealed box with a flask of hydrocyanic acid, and I don't mean metaphorically.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I will. Everybody loves the legal profession.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

It is a market brimming with stupid money, however...

Every time I put on money in that market I was worried that I was the idiot.

No more, too much mental anguish.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Remain +0
    Leave +0

Snap.

It is a market brimming with stupid money, however...

Every time I put on money in that market I was worried that I was the idiot.

No more, too much mental anguish.
    I was one of those idiots. Kept on laying Trump.....
  • Options
    Great factoid

Andrew Neil
    China has produced more steel in past two years than UK has managed cumulatively since industrial revolution in 19th century.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Pulpstar said:

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

Schroedinger's SNP
    I'm sure there are loads of Yoons who'd like to put the SNP in a sealed box with a flask of hydrocyanic acid, and I don't mean metaphorically.
    I get the impression they're doing by and large a decent job. The polls certainly indicate that, though obviously the Conservative core is undiminishing and unwavering (Unlike Labour who are going from disaster to catastrophe).

The sunday trading vote seemed to be, I'm not sure how to put this - a touch opportunistic perhaps in the House of Commons ;) ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Vast majority of grants have an EU brand on them.

All of the money coming from UK taxpayers.
  • Options
    I'm surprised OGH hasn't yet rushed forth to report on the latest dramatic movements in Betfair's Republican Nominee market.

Over the past 48 hours , The Donald's price has weakened considerably from 1.40 to 1.63, whilst the odds for both Cruz and Kasich have both approximately halved from 11 to 5.6 and from 18 to 9.2 respectively.
    It looks as if there's still some mileage in this contest after all!
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Pulpstar said:

Especially a certain someone heavily involved with two of the leave campaigns...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What's that work out as on an hourly basis?

(It never ceases to amaze me how people will give valuable information at negligible cost. But I have taken the plunge and recently invested in a situation which relies on that continuing!)
  • Options

International treaties would still be in force under a presumption of continuity - all it would need is for both parties to agree and the terms would simply be carried on, lodged with a formal body. No renegotiation would be necessary.

It's all in the Vienna convention on the succession of states, art 34. Although it deals with states (rather than trade blocs) the principle should carry

http://legal.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/3_2_1978.pdf
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Indeed so, *cough*
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

From your deep and intimate knowledge of SNP 'thinking' (sic) how do you predict Nicola will simultaneously promise a referendum and not promise a referendum on independence?

Schrodinger's SNP indeed.....
  • Options

Of course the International Court of Arbitration has the square root of fuck all to do with the EU.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Charles said:

All of the money coming from UK taxpayers.
    Obviously not quite clever enough to see the bigger picture.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,940
    scotslass said:

TCPoliticalBetting

Not sure I agree that a decline in SNP/Nicola is inevitable even in the medium term.

The SNP has risen substantially in popularity since it gained office in 2007. Salmond stayed at positive popularity ratings throughout his eight years in office, almost unheard of in a democratic system. However, Sturgeon shows every sign of doing the same. The new powers will not change that dynamic since the SNP have sensibly avoided the daftness of Labour and Greens in suggesting hiking every tax rate (or the indirect tax bombshells of the Tories in £9,000 tuition fees) and instead opted for a relatively mild redistribution of income tax and Council Tax towards the lower paid.

The NATS retain a radical cutting edge on the issues of Trident, renewable power, land reform and of course independence. They are despite an incredibly hostile old fashioned press a competent Government by UK standards - compare for example their solution on saving Scottish steel to the total confusion of the Tories. On that formula barring accidents (and events dear boy events) the SNP is set for a further long run of dominance.

The SNP owns the flag and has made sure to do nothing that will alienate those who vote in elections. That's why it has said plenty about food banks and austerity, but has done nothing practical to alleviate either. As a result, it will govern for many years to come. Whether that actually leads to independence, though, is another thing entirely.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Charles said:

Not really. EU funding for UK research is about 15% of the total university research funding stream.

Much more important is ease of collaboration and movement of researchers. Leave's inability to know quite what they are offering as the UKs future status makes the choice of whether to Remain or Leave relatively easy. For a researcher Leave is all downside and no upside.

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    JonathanD said:

Charles said:

Not really. EU funding for UK research is about 15% of the total university research funding stream.

Much more important is ease of collaboration and movement of researchers. Leave's inability to know quite what they are offering as the UKs future status makes the choice of whether to Remain or Leave relatively easy. For a researcher Leave is all downside and no upside.

That's not what I see from the papers that I see (I'm on the finance committee of a london university). But we are a specialist school, so it may be different to the average research university
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Othering alert..

A rise and a bite.

Schroedinger's SNP
    I get the impression they're doing by and large a decent job. The polls certainly indicate that, though obviously the Conservative core is undiminishing and unwavering (Unlike Labour who are going from disaster to catastrophe).

The sunday trading vote seemed to be, I'm not sure how to put this - a touch opportunistic perhaps in the House of Commons ;) ?
    The SNP aren't magicians, they've just managed the trick in most situations of being less crap than their opponents (not hard hitherto). Of course their dream run will come to an end but the main hindrance for the opposition parties to manage that is their lack of talent. Davidson is overrated but is the best the SCons have by some distance, SLab have very few up and comers (what they'd give for a Mhairi Black), and the Libdems, who?

You say opportunistic, I say...opportunistic :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    TonyE said:

International treaties would still be in force under a presumption of continuity - all it would need is for both parties to agree and the terms would simply be carried on, lodged with a formal body. No renegotiation would be necessary.

It's all in the Vienna convention on the succession of states, art 34. Although it deals with states (rather than trade blocs) the principle should carry

http://legal.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/3_2_1978.pdf
    You sound like you know what you're talking about please leave forthwith stay and post more.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

Charles said:

That's not what I see from the papers that I see (I'm on the finance committee of a london university). But we are a specialist school, so it may be different to the average research university

I think it must be the specialist school nature that makes the difference. The 15% figure was from here

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/nov/07/european-funding-higher-education-uk
  • Options
    edited March 2016

//twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/715480268203626496

And?

Wishing to Leave doesn't mean that one has no interest in buying European products. Ditto travelling within Europe.

Funny how the Remainians are desperately trying to paint their opposition as insular little Englanders with an island mentality, when the reality is never such.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    See who supports REMAIN and who SUPPORTS LEAVE according to a YouGov survey at

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/03/24/eu-referendum-provincial-england-versus-london-and/

Most in favour of REMAIN are Guradian readers.

Most in favour of LEAVE are UKIP supporters.

21% of Conservatives are still to decide.

You Gov say "We listed ten possible causes of our economic problems and asked people to say which two or three they blame most. The top three picked by the “in” voters are completely different from the three picked by “out” voters:

For “in” voters, the top three are: British banks, the Conservative-led government since 2010 and growing inequality.

For “out” voters they are: EU rules and regulations, immigrants willing to work for low wages and the last Labour government."

• Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

What's that work out as on an hourly basis?

(It never ceases to amaze me how people will give valuable information at negligible cost. But I have taken the plunge and recently invested in a situation which relies on that continuing!)
    Snap! Whenever my opinions are sought on anything, which is often, I ask two questions: (1) how much of my time will be involved and (2) how much do they pay. This usually produces an immediate and audible click on the line. But should the interviewer express surprise that I should have the temerity to expect some form of reward for my time, I then add a supplementary question, asking how much they are being paid for their time. That usually does the trick!
  • Options
    Isn't this truck heading in the wrong direction along a cycling super highway?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

I'm surprised OGH hasn't yet rushed forth to report on the latest dramatic movements in Betfair's Republican Nominee market.

Over the past 48 hours , The Donald's price has weakened considerably from 1.40 to 1.63, whilst the odds for both Cruz and Kasich have both approximately halved from 11 to 5.6 and from 18 to 9.2 respectively.
    It looks as if there's still some mileage in this contest after all!

Trump has had a bad couple of days and Cruz seems to have escaped from the National Enq. story pretty unscathed, at least so far.
This discussion has been closed.