Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest UK politics betting markets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501

SeanT said:

Very informative South Front video on the liberation of Palmyra.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvaofb8bkh8

Always good to get the Putin Daily Briefing...
    What's Putinesque about the video?
    LOL..video transcript...Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia...more Russia...Russia..some Syrians and Iranians..but led by Russia...
    Assad is a tyrant and Putin is a thug but there's no denying that Russia's involvement was crucial in defeating ISIS in Palmyra.

It is simply the case. And it is also a piercing demonstration of America's diminished strength and relevance in the world. America's foreign influence is now, perhaps belatedly, dwindling at the same rate as its proportion of global GDP.

Power = economics.
    No no. Of course Putin is enabling Assad to take the fight to ISIS. But the transcript of the video is amusing. Russia is literally in every sentence.
    Perhaps they should have spent most of the video talking about the USA killing the deputy leader of ISIS (for the third time), as that obviously played an equal if not greater role in ISIS' defeat than Russia bombing the shit out of them [/sarcasm]
    Calm down there....just because I took the piss out of your propaganda video does mean there isn't truth in it. Nobody is denying that Putin is enabling Assad to take the fight to ISIS.
    On your part, you could have been a bit less knee jerk in your response to what was actually quite an informative and uniquely presented clip, that wasn't specifically praising or damning of Russia, or the US.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

tlg86 said:

Guy Martin gets the record for pointlessly going round in circles very fast.

Doesn't that describe all motorsport?
    Not most forms of rallying. ;)
    Surely it describes life, if one takes the ecliptic as one's reference point
    As we're on questions, here's an easy one.

I walked a little over 6,200 miles on my coastal walk, which is 10,000 km. I walked clockwise. My average stride length is 2 and a half feet, and I walk with my feet a foot apart. If it was a perfect circle, how much further distance did my left boot cover than my right boot ?

(Some people get this very wrong, others get it immediately).
    I think that we need to know how many stops you made.

Most peoples jouneys begin with a right step, but are equally likely to be an even or odd number of steps.

I think that you will have taken more steps with your right foot.
    Ah, but I have metal in my left ankle, which means that leg is heavier. ;)

If we take into account the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow and the current erosion rate at Happisburg, can we calculate the amount of money that will be bet on the US election ?
    African or European swallow?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Toms said:

"I walked a little over 6,200 miles on my coastal walk, which is 10,000 km. I walked clockwise. My average stride length is 2 and a half feet, and I walk with my feet a foot apart. If it was a perfect circle, how much further distance did my left boot cover than my right boot?"

two Pi feet

Yep. Remarkably simple, despite all the extraneous information I put in. It's surprising how many people think it went miles further.

It would also be two pi feet if it was a 10 mile circle or a million-mile circle.
    You left a big clue to avoid the pointless extra information by your random use of metricness for one of the measurements. On the other hand if you'd have added a conversion rate to the question that would have added nicely to the confusion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

tlg86 said:

I walked a little over 6,200 miles on my coastal walk, which is 10,000 km. I walked clockwise. My average stride length is 2 and a half feet, and I walk with my feet a foot apart. If it was a perfect circle, how much further distance did my left boot cover than my right boot ?

I'm not sure I can be bothered to work it out (it depends on whether you are lead left or lead right footed). But the answer is either nothing or 1 pace (it's 1 pace if you lead with your left and finish with your left, otherwise it is the same)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016

No no. Of course Putin is enabling Assad to take the fight to ISIS. But the transcript of the video is amusing. Russia is literally in every sentence.

I'd not come across Southfront before - they claim to be independent analysts and appeal for Paypal donations. The video from Luckyguy was well done. They certainly seem very interested in Russia, but not always following the Russian line - see e.gf. the Israeli analysis that they highlight: https://southfront.org/putin-building-a-new-byzantine-empire/ . Does anyone know anything about them?
    There is something very iffy about them to put it mildly....
    Modern information warfare compels a lot of mass media to follow specific line. These “independant” sources pursue specific sponsor’s aims. CNN’s fake newscast from the First Gulf War shocked the World, when a correspondent was reporting in the Desert Storm conflict with a fake backdrop, apparently from a studio set. BBC had been caught staging fake news about Syria to justify military intervention and tons of other examples occurring every single day.

There is too much “dirty work” from western mass media that hide a real truth provoking different conflicts. They form image of the false enemy, create public opinion and control over the actions of people in different countries. That happened in Ukraine, when thousands of zombies took to the streets and destroyed stability.
    https://southfront.org/about-southfront/
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited March 2016
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

I'm not sure I can be bothered to work it out (it depends on whether you are lead left or lead right footed). But the answer is either nothing or 1 pace (it's 1 pace if you lead with your left and finish with your left, otherwise it is the same)
    Circumference is D x Pi. If the differential of D is 1 foot, the differential in circumference is 3.14 feet.

Oops. The differential in R is 1 foot, ergo 6.28 feet difference in circumference
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501

I'd not come across Southfront before - they claim to be independent analysts and appeal for Paypal donations. The video from Luckyguy was well done. They certainly seem very interested in Russia, but not always following the Russian line - see e.gf. the Israeli analysis that they highlight: https://southfront.org/putin-building-a-new-byzantine-empire/ . Does anyone know anything about them?
    I know nothing about them. I follow a site called Almasdarnews.com, which is a lebanese-run site which is very pro-Assad. It's hugely one sided, and not written to UK journalistic standards, but I follow it largely because it's the only one I've found with blow by blow accounts of daily gains and losses. They show South Front videos and that's how I became aware.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Rod Crosby was correct. 5th recount in Peterborough.

Two more to go. This one was asked for by Labour...
    3 votes in it after 7?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

3 votes in it after 7?
    Yes, and the lead changed three times. The Labour candidate thought he had it in the bag until a box of votes was found in a locked room...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    SeanT said:

Modern information warfare compels a lot of mass media to follow specific line. These “independant” sources pursue specific sponsor’s aims. CNN’s fake newscast from the First Gulf War shocked the World, when a correspondent was reporting in the Desert Storm conflict with a fake backdrop, apparently from a studio set. BBC had been caught staging fake news about Syria to justify military intervention and tons of other examples occurring every single day.

There is too much “dirty work” from western mass media that hide a real truth provoking different conflicts. They form image of the false enemy, create public opinion and control over the actions of people in different countries. That happened in Ukraine, when thousands of zombies took to the streets and destroyed stability.
    The worst case of clear and recent media manipulation that I know of, must be the BBC (etc) coverage of the refugee crisis. We were very deliberately given the impression of families, women, kids, babies, struggling towards freedom in Europe.

The reality is that most refugees/migrants were young fit males (as you would expect - they go first, then bring the families later). Some of them were self-evidently aggressive and radicalised from the off.

Was this some huge liberal conspiracy to bamboozle Europeans? I doubt it. I just think it was a combination of liberal-left yearning not to give Fascists a narrative they could *use*, along with the native journalistic desire for a better story, and women and kids make better stories.

But the result is the same, a big media lie, and an angry bunch of TV watchers, who rightly suspect that they've been deceived.

True
    All news pictures showed women and babies. The reality as I saw driving round Europe and still so doing are very fit young me armed with the latest I phones and an aggressive attitude. Had to move on more than once to avoid tense situations and this occurred from the borders of France to the borders of Sweden. Anyone tells you different is talking bull. Just like the politicos are.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2016
    The demographic profile of Sweden has been affected so much by migration that there are now more males than females in the country for the first time in recorded history:

http://www.thelocal.se/20150817/men-outstrip-women-as-sweden-population-booms
    SeanT said:

The worst case of clear and recent media manipulation that I know of, must be the BBC (etc) coverage of the refugee crisis. We were very deliberately given the impression of families, women, kids, babies, struggling towards freedom in Europe.

The reality is that most refugees/migrants were young fit males (as you would expect - they go first, then bring the families later). Some of them were self-evidently aggressive and radicalised from the off.

Was this some huge liberal conspiracy to bamboozle Europeans? I doubt it. I just think it was a combination of liberal-left yearning not to give Fascists a narrative they could *use*, along with the native journalistic desire for a better story, and women and kids make better stories.

But the result is the same, a big media lie, and an angry bunch of TV watchers, who rightly suspect that they've been deceived.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Circumference is D x Pi. If the differential of D is 1 foot, the differential in circumference is 3.14 feet.

Oops. The differential in R is 1 foot, ergo 6.28 feet difference in circumference
    Yep. When I first did it I made the same mistake of not realising the increase referred to the radius, not diameter, so the diameter would be double.

Now a follow-on which I haven't an answer for. I did not walk a perfect circle, but instead went round lots of peninsulars and lochs. This meant there were left turns and right turns.

If I ended up where I started, and assuming it was level, etc,etc, is it still 2 * 1 foot *pi ?

In other words: if you were to draw a wiggly non-intersecting continuous line on a flat 2d plane, and drew another line a distance out, would the answer be 2 * distance * pi ?

Intuitively I think it must be.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

3 votes in it after 7?
    Yes, and the lead changed three times. The Labour candidate thought he had it in the bag until a box of votes was found in a locked room...
    Seriously? In a locked room? How can that even happen. Jeez you will be telling us the voters register has disappeared next.....

Oh?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103
    RodCrosby said:

Rod

I've recently watched the 'Boys From the Blackstuff' series and 'The Blackstuff' drama which preceded it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eJ1J1rfPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5AOhXJ9MM0

Do you know which parts of Liverpool it was filmed in ?

For anyone who hasn't seen it I strongly recommend it, 'The Blackstuff' is brilliantly funny.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Yep. When I first did it I made the same mistake of not realising the increase referred to the radius, not diameter, so the diameter would be double.

Now a follow-on which I haven't an answer for. I did not walk a perfect circle, but instead went round lots of peninsulars and lochs. This meant there were left turns and right turns.

If I ended up where I started, and assuming it was level, etc,etc, is it still 2 * 1 foot *pi ?

In other words: if you were to draw a wiggly non-intersecting continuous line on a flat 2d plane, and drew another line a distance out, would the answer be 2 * distance * pi ?

Having carefully considered your problem, and calculated various combinations, I can confidently confer to you that the answer is ... a fish.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I think so.

If the answer is 2 * distance * pi for 'any' given length of circular path, as long as your path is a closed loop any left turns will be cancelled out by equivalent right turns, but there will be some 'right turns' left over. Whatever their length, the difference should be 2 * distance * pi, right?
  • Options
    Where is this huge circular island?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I think so

If the answer is 2 * distance * pi for 'any' given length of circular path, as long as your path is a closed loop any left turns will be cancelled out by equivalent right turns, but there will be some 'right turns' left over. Whatever their length, the difference should be 2 * distance * pi, right?

Actually, that's probably not true. If it's not a circle, it will be a different result.

Imagine walking in a square, for example.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    One of the most famous scenes was filmed at Albert Dock IIRC.

RodCrosby said:

Rod

I've recently watched the 'Boys From the Blackstuff' series and 'The Blackstuff' drama which preceded it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eJ1J1rfPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5AOhXJ9MM0

Do you know which parts of Liverpool it was filmed in ?

For anyone who hasn't seen it I strongly recommend it, 'The Blackstuff' is brilliantly funny.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    SeanT

I wouldn't be sure how many of those young Syrian males doing the rounds in Europe now are Islamic radicals in the making. Some are of course. The majority I suspect are getting out because being young fit males a)they can get out, b) many are fleeing the possibility of being drafted by Assad's forces or some other faction and c) some of them already were combatants who are doing a runner. Already ex-Assad military guys have turned up in Europe after fleeing.

What beats me is how much we bleat on about 'far right' types walking the street and how terrible it is as if its an equivalent threat to life and limb than the Islamist threat. It isn't, much of the far right wing in Europe (there are a few exceptions) is a weak as water is their ability to truly go to war. They are often infiltrated, split and couldn't do much than through some plastic chairs about. Get this, one senior European intelligence official has stated that their major concern is of some kind of Brevik or Bernie Goetz figure from the native population takes out some Muslims. Bernie Goetz..... Seriously, that kind of talk is going round European intelligence circles and is taken as a big issue by some.

Thats their major concern. Not some bollocks blowing up a subway or shooting up a packed concert hall.

Its the average working non-chattering classes populous who are fed up with it that the political classes have to fear. If they are pissed they will do more damage than anyone. To give you one example, and this is not to condone it. An old church in Belfast off Belfast's Shankill Road was rumoured to be considered for sale by the Church of Ireland to a Muslim group to be used as a meeting and social centre, essentially for the influx of Muslim immigrants, many from the likes of Somalia who have been placed in recent years to parts of the North and West of the city.

Two pigs heads appeared on the doorstep of the church. No such sale will take place.

I can tell you now it wasn't some right-wing nutjobs that did that. Unpleasant hotheads yes and people who could seriously do damage if they took to it. Local support for that act was widespread.

• Options
    @GdnPolitics: Vote Leave releases list of serious crimes by EU citizens in Britain https://t.co/TW0xfikj8J
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

I think so

Actually, that's probably not true. If it's not a circle, it will be a different result.

If your inside leg does a square of length x, your outside leg does a square with rounded ends of perimeter 4x + 2pi
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: Vote Leave releases list of serious crimes by EU citizens in Britain https://t.co/TW0xfikj8J

god this is pathetic, on both sides.
  • Options
    AndypetAndypet Posts: 36
    Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

I think so

I think it would hold true for walking in a square. Both feet would travel the same distance while walking along the sides. There would be a quarter turn at each corner which would be the equivalent of walking round the circle.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    SeanT said:

Jesus H Fucking Christ on a tricycle, the Night Manager is SHIT.

The source of all evil is... Etonian Arms Dealers.

lol. Most reviewers seem to think it's amazing.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

I think so.

Providing all arcs are circular - if they were elliptical, for instance then the answer is incorrect.
  • Options
    @another_richard

Without going through it scene-by-scene, from memory. Probably forgotten some obvious ones.

The Albert Dock [at a time when they were still pondering whether to dynamite it]
    Williamson Square [the scene with the tramp, "that's mae winder!"]
    Sefton Park, where Yosser tries to drown himself.
    The Green Man public house [on the corner of the street where my grandma was born in 1895!]

The backstreet scenes were filmed in Dingle and Kirkby, I believe.

Amazing that the Sunday Times last week identified the Liverpool Waterfront as one of the best places to live in the country... My little place just up the coast has been in it every year since inception also.
  • Options

If your inside leg does a square of length x, your outside leg does a square with rounded ends of perimeter 4x + 2pi

...if you assume pivoting on one leg at the corners.

Maybe it does work. Try a bisected circle, like an uppercase D.

I suppose if you assume half of the extra length happens round the outside of the curvy bit, and the rest happens in 2 quarter circle pivots at the ends of the straight, you get the same result.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

if they were elliptical, for instance then the answer is incorrect.

What's the elliptical answer?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

I assume you have read Nick Cohen's review and the Harry;s Place review?

http://standpointmag.co.uk/node/6423/full

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/03/26/john-le-pilger/
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

@another_richard

Without going through it scene-by-scene, from memory. Probably forgotten some obvious ones.

The Albert Dock [at a time when they were still pondering whether to dynamite it]
    The Green Man public house [on the corner of the street where my grandma was born in 1895!]

Amazing that the Sunday Times last week identified the Liverpool Waterfront as one of the best places to live in the country... My little place just up the coast has been in it every year since inception also.

Thanks Rod.

I thought Yosser's house would be in Toxteth as you could see the Cathedral in the background.

Dixie's house looked like it was on a 1960s council estate, so that would have been Kirkby I assume.

Chrissie's house was a 19C terrace.

I was especially curious as to which council wards they were in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

lol. Most reviewers seem to think it's amazing.
    I know! And lots of my friends love it, and I respect their opinion, but, jesus, it's just shit.
    I liked it up to a point, but I couldn't get over the Old Etonian aspect of it which was just ridiculous, as you say.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

weejonnie said:

if they were elliptical, for instance then the answer is incorrect.

What's the elliptical answer?
    Have a look at https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/ellipse-perimeter.html how to work out the TOTAL length of an ellipse. It is 'A' level maths grade - and only gives an approximate answer.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Y0kel said:

SeanT

I wouldn't be sure how many of those young Syrian males doing the rounds in Europe now are Islamic radicals in the making. Some are of course. The majority I suspect are getting out because being young fit males a)they can get out, b) many are fleeing the possibility of being drafted by Assad's forces or some other faction and c) some of them already were combatants who are doing a runner. Already ex-Assad military guys have turned up in Europe after fleeing.

What beats me is how much we bleat on about 'far right' types walking the street and how terrible it is as if its an equivalent threat to life and limb than the Islamist threat. It isn't, much of the far right wing in Europe (there are a few exceptions) is a weak as water is their ability to truly go to war. They are often infiltrated, split and couldn't do much than through some plastic chairs about. Get this, one senior European intelligence official has stated that their major concern is of some kind of Brevik or Bernie Goetz figure from the native population takes out some Muslims. Bernie Goetz..... Seriously, that kind of talk is going round European intelligence circles and is taken as a big issue by some.

Thats their major concern. Not some bollocks blowing up a subway or shooting up a packed concert hall.

Its the average working non-chattering classes populous who are fed up with it that the political classes have to fear. If they are pissed they will do more damage than anyone. To give you one example, and this is not to condone it. An old church in Belfast off Belfast's Shankill Road was rumoured to be considered for sale by the Church of Ireland to a Muslim group to be used as a meeting and social centre, essentially for the influx of Muslim immigrants, many from the likes of Somalia who have been placed in recent years to parts of the North and West of the city.

Two pigs heads appeared on the doorstep of the church. No such sale will take place.

I can tell you now it wasn't some right-wing nutjobs that did that. Unpleasant hotheads yes and people who could seriously do damage if they took to it. Local support for that act was widespread.

Did you know that Somalian immigrants have between a 60% and 90% unemployment rate?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Have a look at https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/ellipse-perimeter.html how to work out the TOTAL length of an ellipse. It is 'A' level maths grade - and only gives an approximate answer.

Looking at that now, but in fact to answer the original question, which would be stated as "what is the difference in perimeter of 2 ellipses if one has the same ratio but is x larger? you would need to see if you can reduce the series (as each term will be related to the same term in the series for the bigger shape perhaps in some easily definable way)
  • Options
    notme said:

Y0kel said:

SeanT

Did you know that Somalian immigrants have between a 60% and 90% unemployment rate?
    Nope. But is that surprising? They have to learn the lingo and so on so working, in the formal economy at least, must be difficult for some time.
  • Options
    "Vote Leave releases list of serious crimes by EU citizens in Britain

The dossier of murders and rapes committed by 50 foreigners has been labelled ‘scaremongering’ by critics"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/28/vote-leave-releases-list-of-serious-crimes-by-eu-citizens-in-britain
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I see the Indy are producing "virtual" front pages to send to the likes of the BBC to show. I somehow doubt it will drive much traffic to sign up to their digital app.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

The dossier of murders and rapes committed by 50 foreigners has been labelled ‘scaremongering’ by critics"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/28/vote-leave-releases-list-of-serious-crimes-by-eu-citizens-in-britain

Project Fear II by the Leavers !
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Y0kel said:

notme said:

Y0kel said:

SeanT

Nope. But is that surprising? They have to learn the lingo and so on so working, in the formal economy at least, must be difficult for some time.
    So if they don't speak the language and don't have skills of use to us, why are we letting them into the country?

• Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Project Fear II by the Leavers !
    Seems like both campaigns are as negative as each other.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Y0kel said:

notme said:

Y0kel said:

SeanT

So if they don't speak the language and don't have skills of use to us, why are we letting them into the country?

There is a difference between taking in refugees from conflict and economic migrants. What proportion of the Somalians are which I do not know.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

NIck Cohen is that peculiar creature who so assiduously promoted the war in Iraq, seems to be always seeking to find some excuse to send British boys to die in the Middle East and never ceases to find an excuse for whatever horrific treatment the Israelis inflict on the hapless Palestinians. No surprise he has found a home in the Murdoch press.

Le Carre is a very British patriot and I would say he has marked Cohen's card for exactly what he is reading those two articles.
  • Options
    I believe the Currant Bun big story is really uninteresting. Vernon Kay has been at it again with the Page 3 girls.
  • Options
    This is not going to end well.

It follows the earlier Israeli warning for its citizens resident in Turkey.

http://news.sky.com/story/1668482/is-planning-imminent-attack-on-jewish-schools
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky are really well plugged into stuff in Turkey.
  • Options
    The FBI has successfully accessed data stored on an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino attackers.

As a result, the Justice Department will withdraw its request for Apple's help in accessing the phone, which is thought contain evidence relating to the massacre in December that left 14 people dead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1668534/fbi-accesses-san-bernardino-attackers-iphone
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

NIck Cohen is that peculiar creature who so assiduously promoted the war in Iraq, seems to be always seeking to find some excuse to send British boys to die in the Middle East and never ceases to find an excuse for whatever horrific treatment the Israelis inflict on the hapless Palestinians. No surprise he has found a home in the Murdoch press.

Le Carre is a very British patriot and I would say he has marked Cohen's card for exactly what he is reading those two articles.
    He's totally nailed the cognitive dissonance present in the left towards Islam though.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

We have had two heavily armed policemen outside of the Jewish School next to my house during school hours for the last year or so. They patrol the area throughout the night as well.

It used to feel rather odd but now they are part of the scenery.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

@another_richard

Thanks Rod.

I thought Yosser's house would be in Toxteth as you could see the Cathedral in the background.

Dixie's house looked like it was on a 1960s council estate, so that would have been Kirkby I assume.

I've discovered Yosser's house was in Kelvin Grove, just on the border of Toxteth and Dingle.

Other bits were filmed in Kensington, near the hospital (Yosser & kids on wasteground, and the building site that was to become a DSS office.)
    http://cliffjones.zenfolio.com/p604896788

If you can show me Chrissie's house, I'll try to identify it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    GeoffM said:

We have had two heavily armed policemen outside of the Jewish School next to my house during school hours for the last year or so. They patrol the area throughout the night as well.

Extra: Here they are when first deployed last year.

This is the school looking normal, first thing in the morning.

Local policeman on patrol like this regularly all over Town now.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

@another_richard

Thanks Rod.

I've discovered Yosser's house was in Kelvin Grove, just on the border of Toxteth and Dingle.

Other bits were filmed in Kensington, near the hospital (Yosser & kids on wasteground, and the building site that was to become a DSS office.)
    http://cliffjones.zenfolio.com/p604896788

If you can show me Chrissie's house, I'll try to identify it.
    If you look about 36:30 into this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6_xzYMeC4
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Moses_ said:

There have been guards outside Jewish schools and synagogues and community centres in North London near where I live for years now. The fact that they have become part of the scenery, that we have become seemingly inured to the fact that Jews are almost always a target of Islamists in their atrocities, is what should shock and shame us. That this should be seen as somehow normal in 21st century Britain is depressing.

Why should we be surprised if IS are targeting Jewish schools? Jewish children were targeted in Toulouse, a barmitzvah was targeted in Copenhagen, the Bataclan was targeted long before last November because of its Jewish owners, the only woman killed during the Charlie Hebdo killings was Jewish, a kosher supermarket was targeted. Jews are picked on because Islamists are taught to hate Jews and because not enough people call out and stand up against the anti-Jewish hatred which is spread - in some schools, in madrassahs, and on the Internet.

It is grimly ironic that in an era where the term "hate crime" is bandied about to describe matters which are little worse than appalling bad manners the oldest, most pernicious and most vicious exemplar of hate is overlooked or excused or justified.

This does not reflect well on our society.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Cyclefree said:

There's a very detailed analysis of the Somalis here:

http://icar.livingrefugeearchive.org/somalicommunityreport.pdf

Executive summary:

* It's complicated
    * Somalia is a failed state and there have been successive waves of refugees over the years as the wars flared up, especially women and children trying to escape from a variety of horrors. I'd expect most people to be generally sympathetic to these.
    * Recently, a lot of the migration has been from other "safe" countries. The report discusses why - it doesn't seem to be for benefits as the other countries are often more generous, but family reunification plays a role (often the women in the family escaped earlier than the men, and to different countries), as does the existence of a big existing ex-Somali community, while countries like Finland seem less easy to adapt to and in some cases less friendly as well. I suspect that many will feel less sympathetic to these cases, though perhaps more so to family reunions where the family was torn apart by war.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    I have read accounts that many Somali families had settled in Holland but moved to England for reasons unspecified except for rumours of benefit irregularities. Further reports say that Somalis have unemployment rates of 80%.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

There's a very detailed analysis of the Somalis here:

http://icar.livingrefugeearchive.org/somalicommunityreport.pdf

Executive summary:

* It's complicated
    * Somalia is a failed state and there have been successive waves of refugees over the years as the wars flared up, especially women and children trying to escape from a variety of horrors. I'd expect most people to be generally sympathetic to these.
    * Recently, a lot of the migration has been from other "safe" countries. The report discusses why - it doesn't seem to be for benefits as the other countries are often more generous, but family reunification plays a role (often the women in the family escaped earlier than the men, and to different countries), as does the existence of a big existing ex-Somali community, while countries like Finland seem less easy to adapt to and in some cases less friendly as well. I suspect that many will feel less sympathetic to these cases, though perhaps more so to family reunions where the family was torn apart by war.

Thanks Nick. People moving here from "safe" countries are not refugees. And unless they have some skills we need I see no reason why we should let them in.

There are lots of horrors in the world and we cannot provide a home for all those escaping those horrors, however sympathetic one might want to be. There has to be a limit and sympathy is not a good basis for policy.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Cyclefree said:

GeoffM said:

Moses_ said:

There have been guards outside Jewish schools and synagogues and community centres in North London near where I live for years now. The fact that they have become part of the scenery, that we have become seemingly inured to the fact that Jews are almost always a target of Islamists in their atrocities, is what should shock and shame us. That this should be seen as somehow normal in 21st century Britain is depressing.

Why should we be surprised if IS are targeting Jewish schools? Jewish children were targeted in Toulouse, a barmitzvah was targeted in Copenhagen, the Bataclan was targeted long before last November because of its Jewish owners, the only woman killed during the Charlie Hebdo killings was Jewish, a kosher supermarket was targeted. Jews are picked on because Islamists are taught to hate Jews and because not enough people call out and stand up against the anti-Jewish hatred which is spread - in some schools, in madrassahs, and on the Internet.

It is grimly ironic that in an era where the term "hate crime" is bandied about to describe matters which are little worse than appalling bad manners the oldest, most pernicious and most vicious exemplar of hate is overlooked or excused or justified.

This does not reflect well on our society.

On the contrary, the whole western world is trying to crush Islamic State. Meanwhile, as you say, horrors happen in other parts of the world to other people with no similar action, including in Palestine.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

notme said:

Y0kel said:

SeanT

Wh

They can get pretty adept at benefit and identity fraud with a frightening pace though.
  • Options
    This might be a nasty shock to some people:

' More than six million UK workers could find their take-home pay cut from April after the new flat-rate state pension comes into effect.

The move, first announced in the 2013 Budget, will boost the Treasury's coffers by £5.5bn a year.

Most of that sum will be raised from public sector employers and employees by higher National Insurance payments.

An estimated five million workers in the public sector and 1.5 million in the private sector will be affected.

They will have to pay an extra 1.4 percentage points of NI on their earnings. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35913487
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited March 2016
    Somalis are adept fraudsters and Muslims are inclined to rape?

Just another day on PB comments
  • Options
    "Police called to deal with passengers on overcrowded train from London Paddington to Penzance

Easter getaway had a troubled start as hundreds packed "like sardines" into the Cornwall-bound service, complaining of 'dangerous' conditions aboard"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12205773/Police-called-to-deal-with-passengers-on-overcrowded-train-from-London-Paddington-to-Penzance.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks Nick. People moving here from "safe" countries are not refugees. And unless they have some skills we need I see no reason why we should let them in.

There are lots of horrors in the world and we cannot provide a home for all those escaping those horrors, however sympathetic one might want to be. There has to be a limit and sympathy is not a good basis for policy.

Personally I'd admit the refugees and the people finding their families, but apply the points test to anyone else, and I think that's pretty much what we do. But the number of Somali refugees is in any case very small - in the latest year available (2013), there were 450 Somali refugee applications, of which 160 were rejected. I'm not sure it's worth worrying about something like one person a day coming to somewhere in Britain. (I've not read the whole thread so I'm not sure why they came up as a topic - is there some news about them?)
  • Options
    @another_richard
    Generic terraced housing found all over the city. Impossible for me to identify, without specialist local knowledge.
    But certainly found in Dingle a bit closer to the river, near to where the comedy 'Bread' was filmed a few years later.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    I wonder what the "Named Person" would make of this attempt to indoctrinate "educate" kids:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-in-step-too-far-with-pack-targeting-mock-school-elections-1-4084594
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited March 2016
    EPG said:

Somalis are adept fraudsters and Muslims are inclined to rape?

Just another day on PB comments

I went to a function last night where Tim Farron was the main man. I liked him. He was a vegetarian and a transparently decent human being as was his audience. He saved his bile for IDS and those in the UK who lack compassion particularly to immigrants.

Then this morning I switched on PB and there was this parallel universe where all those mean spirited people from Farron's imagination were alive and posting.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

This might be a nasty shock to some people:

' More than six million UK workers could find their take-home pay cut from April after the new flat-rate state pension comes into effect.

The move, first announced in the 2013 Budget, will boost the Treasury's coffers by £5.5bn a year.

Most of that sum will be raised from public sector employers and employees by higher National Insurance payments.

An estimated five million workers in the public sector and 1.5 million in the private sector will be affected.

They will have to pay an extra 1.4 percentage points of NI on their earnings. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35913487

I got an email about this as an NHS worker, effectively the 1% annual pay increase will go to fund this.

So the government is paying public sector workers slightly more, but then taking slightly more back in tax. What's the point?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Anyone see this story about apparently at least 100 delegates ready to abandon Trump after the first ballot if he doesn't win a majority?
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/trumps-uphill-delegate-scramble-221443
This discussion has been closed.