Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM referendum findings suggest that turnout won’t be at ge

124»

Comments

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Internet and mobile phone usage is only fairly low among the elderly. Coverage isn't far from universal among working age people.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    http://beta.thetimes.co.uk/article/736ca9ec-f27d-11e5-a94a-714af11483cb

Oh look, someone with no axe to grind saying that the EU is a hindrance to national security.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016
    Alistair said:

From 2003 good old Daily Mail

Who could forget the great size 12 scandal?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The 100 year old is almost certainly totally indifferent as to whether the service provided is the result of internet systems , telephone contact or indeed the postal service.Organisations have opted to rely on the new communication systems but would still function if they reverted to the former systems.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

'His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process. '
    I would argue that everyday life has not changed that much since 1973 . Mobile phones and PCs and that is it.Most other changes are refinements of gadgets which were already available.

You spend your entire day using electronic devices. You don't need to go to the shops. Your car actually works when you turn it on.

I'd say the changes are at least as significant as in the previous 40 years.

Edit to add: nothing to do with the EU, of course. Merely a reflection that there has been fairly rapid technological change.

It's at least arguable that the single market in Europe has incentivised the creation of technical standards around a lot of products.

Technical standards set by organisations such as the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). The ISO alone have published more than 19,000 standards since the 40s.

Then there is the United Nations Economic Commission Europe (UNECE) who are responsible for the majority of technical standardisation for transport (including docks, railways, road networks, etc).

I could go on and on and on. It is a myth that the EU initiates a significant amount of technical standards.
    But it is also worth remembering that a large chunk of EU legislation that we implement is actually generated by these international standards bodies - just via the EU.
    Indeed. The EU essentially rubber stamps the standards coming from these bodies. It kind of destroys the myth that the EU is the top table for the setting of standards.
  • Options
    Afternoon all.
    With the talk of going back to 1973.
    Speed cameras hadn't been invented. You could get away with a note in your windscreen saying 'tax in post' and parking tickets weren't used as a revenue raising scheme.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

From 2003 good old Daily Mail

Who could forget the great size 12 scandal?
    I had because as we all know it doesn't exist anymore. Probably caused by militant homosexuals.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    justin124 said:

The 100 year old is almost certainly totally indifferent as to whether the service provided is the result of internet systems , telephone contact or indeed the postal service.Organisations have opted to rely on the new communication systems but would still function if they reverted to the former systems.

You are confirmed bonkers. Your argument is a bit like, companies opted to use planes, cars and lorries, there is going to be absolutely no problems if we all just revert to horse and cart. See how full of produce your Tesco's is tomorrow if they did that.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Just In Time stocking would take a massive hit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

'His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process. '
    I would argue that everyday life has not changed that much since 1973 . Mobile phones and PCs and that is it.Most other changes are refinements of gadgets which were already available.

You spend your entire day using electronic devices. You don't need to go to the shops. Your car actually works when you turn it on.

Edit to add: nothing to do with the EU, of course. Merely a reflection that there has been fairly rapid technological change.

It's at least arguable that the single market in Europe has incentivised the creation of technical standards around a lot of products.

Is that why this century, most consumer electronic products are driven by innovation outside the EU? Apple, Samsung etc
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited March 2016
    Seriously, twitter does itself no favours, it's just removed #Cruzsexscandal from trends list
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

Technical standards set by organisations such as the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). The ISO alone have published more than 19,000 standards since the 40s.

Then there is the United Nations Economic Commission Europe (UNECE) who are responsible for the majority of technical standardisation for transport (including docks, railways, road networks, etc).

I could go on and on and on. It is a myth that the EU initiates a significant amount of technical standards.
    But it is also worth remembering that a large chunk of EU legislation that we implement is actually generated by these international standards bodies - just via the EU.
    Indeed. The EU essentially rubber stamps the standards coming from these bodies. It kind of destroys the myth that the EU is the top table for the setting of standards.
    Yes the ITU has been the source of most telecom standards.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Seriously, twitter does itself no favours, it's just removed #Cruzsexscandal from trends list

Maybe it's putting too much strain on the servers. :)
  • Options

And another hashtag will pop up...a bit like the Spanish polls...red tomatoes up, green apples down.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I must admit, I thought that Trump would run Hillary close, and that - while it would be close - she would probably just edge it.

Increasingly, I am of the opinion that Trump does not have a broad enough coalition to win the election. He's managed to get an incredibly firm 38-40% of the electorate, but I think Hillary will comfortable manage to get two-thirds of the other 60% out to vote against him.

So, somewhat sadly, I'm going to call this one as a reasonably comfortable win for Hillary.

If Trump runs a smart campaign, which has to be a safe assumption at this point, it's hard to see how he does worse than Romney, nor how Clinton does as well as Obama.
    -31 favorability.
    Yes and many polls predict that Cruz would beat Hillary,

What do you reckon to that now?

Trump has zero friends. All the polls are being run by organisations that cannot abide him, including (and indeed especially) the republican side.
    So the polls that broadly have been accurate on the GOP nomination are being skewed against Trump to favour Clinton for POTUS.

It's a view.
    Well there are polls and polls. Its interesting how Trump is a lion the republican race only polls and yet withers in the face of Hillary's fiery righteousness when its repub v. dem.

And how those Turkeys in the repub race fly like eagles when it comes to facing Hillary.
    I think you'll find it might have something to do with Donald Trump - putative President.

As has been noted previously US voters faced with the scary choice of death by head shot (Trump) and death by poison (Clinton) choose the latter in the hope of an antidote.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Breitbart and Drudge not reporting the Cruz story.
  • Options

There is tediously murky legal issues over the algorithmic creation of 'stories' and other info aggregation efforts.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MP_SE said:

I didn't even know Drudge was still going. When was the last time he broke a really big story? Does he still have that website that looked out of date even by the standards of the very first websites on the internet?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Without wishing to get too personal but happy to use your own example , are you suggesting that the provision of care home services is dramatically different today compared with - say - 1990?
    There are still a lot of business organisations - small sole traders admittedly - who do not rely on or use the internet.
  • Options
    It's certainly taking an age for the hashtag to reload :smiley:

Maybe it's putting too much strain on the servers. :)
  • Options
    Breitbart has egg all over its face. If you sell your brand as truth to power - then get caught like this?

Seriously bad for business
    MP_SE said:

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2016
    Cruz accused of having affairs and this is said to be damaging his campaign.

Trump is now on his third wife. He committed adultery with the woman who became the second while still married to the first.

But Trump still gets the religious vote so have voters forgot?

Perhaps the Clinton campaign will remind voters of Trump's past - or will she steer clear in view of Bill's past.
  • Options
    John McDonnell has proposed that people who express anti-Semitic views be permanently banned from the Labour Party, even if they claim to have changed their opinions.

http://labourlist.org/2016/03/mcdonnell-demands-life-bans-for-any-party-member-with-anti-semitic-views/

What about those that have expressed support for banned terrorist organisations?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Cruz accused of having affairs and this is said to be damaging his campaign.

Trump is now on his third wife. He committed adultery with the woman who became the second while still married to the first.

But Trump still gets the religious vote so have voters forgot?

Perhaps the Clinton campaign will remind voters of Trump's past - or will she steer clear in view of Bill's past.

I guess the difference is that Trump doesn't claim whiter than white status on anything like that. That is why a lot of attacks don't seem to work, because he never stands there and preaches a life of moral perfection.

I would say what would hit him more is if for instance his boasts of how rich he is aren't true, because they are specific claims he makes to back up why somebody should vote for him.
  • Options
    Who'd be an editor :

Eliana Johnson in "National Review" on why a contested convention favours Ted Cruz. :smiley:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433136/republican-contested-convention-favors-ted-cruz-over-donald-trump
  • Options
    A lot of anti Trump GOP outlets are getting their arses handed to them this morning.

I'm glued to the reaction, we just don't get fun like this here.
    JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Eliana Johnson in "National Review" on why a contested convention favours Ted Cruz. :smiley:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433136/republican-contested-convention-favors-ted-cruz-over-donald-trump

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    JackW said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I must admit, I thought that Trump would run Hillary close, and that - while it would be close - she would probably just edge it.

Increasingly, I am of the opinion that Trump does not have a broad enough coalition to win the election. He's managed to get an incredibly firm 38-40% of the electorate, but I think Hillary will comfortable manage to get two-thirds of the other 60% out to vote against him.

So, somewhat sadly, I'm going to call this one as a reasonably comfortable win for Hillary.

If Trump runs a smart campaign, which has to be a safe assumption at this point, it's hard to see how he does worse than Romney, nor how Clinton does as well as Obama.
    -31 favorability.

Trump has zero friends. All the polls are being run by organisations that cannot abide him, including (and indeed especially) the republican side.
    So the polls that broadly have been accurate on the GOP nomination are being skewed against Trump to favour Clinton for POTUS.

It's a view.
    Well there are polls and polls. Its interesting how Trump is a lion the republican race only polls and yet withers in the face of Hillary's fiery righteousness when its repub v. dem.

And how those Turkeys in the repub race fly like eagles when it comes to facing Hillary.
    I think you'll find it might have something to do with Donald Trump - putative President.

As has been noted previously US voters faced with the scary choice of death by head shot (Trump) and death by poison (Clinton) choose the latter in the hope of an antidote.
    Trump should leak some illegal business deal or something, he can't afford to let Hillary monopolize the "hopefully the president will get arrested and we'll end up with somebody other than these two" vote.
  • Options

A lot of anti Trump GOP outlets are getting their arses handed to them this morning.

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Indeed.

Eggwina and John Major in his Y fronts in a crescendo of passion doesn't quite do it.
  • Options
    L
    justin124 said:

Without wishing to get too personal but happy to use your own example , are you suggesting that the provision of care home services is dramatically different today compared with - say - 1990?
    There are still a lot of business organisations - small sole traders admittedly - who do not rely on or use the internet.

If nothing else the supply chain they rely on to get consumable items would take a masivenhit from the disappearance of the internet. A second order effect for sure but they would face raised prices and stock shortages.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    Revealed: Belgian police knew for 3 months where Paris bomber Abdeslam was living. Failed to act or pass info to Federal Intel services.
  • Options
    A B Stoddard in "The Hill" on a path to the Presidency for Trump. Some path .... :smile:

http://thehill.com/opinion/ab-stoddard/274103-ab-stoddard-how-the-donald-can-win
  • Options

Andrew Neil
    Revealed: Belgian police knew for 3 months where Paris bomber Abdeslam was living. Failed to act or pass info to Federal Intel services.

Dupont and Dupond on the case again...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

JackW said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

It's a view.

Trump should leak some illegal business deal or something, he can't afford to let Hillary monopolize the "hopefully the president will get arrested and we'll end up with somebody other than these two" vote.
    Clarence Darrow -- When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. I’m beginning to believe it.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Trumpets shouldn't get too happy about this. If the convention is contested, it gives Cruz delegates ample excuse to coalesce around another candidate.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Freggles said:

Trumpets shouldn't get too happy about this. If the convention is contested, it gives Cruz delegates ample excuse to coalesce around another candidate.

The way things are going, there won't be any alternatives left at that point.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Cruz at 7.4 to GOP nominee. Give me a break...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Standards:

It can be argued that Vodafone and Nokia gained their massive advantages in the international market in the early 2000s due to the decision by major European countries to standardise on the 2G GSM standard back in 1987/8, which was then mandated by the EU.

This is in comparison to the American market, which was stifled during that period by competing standards that meant a phone that worked in one city might not work in the next (until they eventually developed phones that could use all standards, but that took a while).

The European 2G market was much larger than the fragmented US market, meaning many other countries chose GSM rather than the US alternatives such as CDMA. That was to the distinct advantage of European countries.

The GSM standard was developed by ETSI.

Not an argument for EU membership, but it is somewhere the EU, yet alone European organisations, definitely helped.
  • Options
    A former CIA director has said the European Union "in some ways gets in the way" of security services, as the debate continues over whether the UK would be safer in or out of the EU.
    Retired general Michael Hayden told the BBC the union was "not a natural contributor to national security".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35898255
  • Options
    'No-one told me I was going to be interviewed by a Muslim': Moment Burma democracy heroine Suu Kyi lost her cool with BBC's Mishal Husain after being quizzed over violence towards Muslim minority

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508710/Moment-Burma-heroine-lost-cool-Today-s-Mishal-Suu-Kyi-s-anger-no-one-told-going-interviewed-Muslim-heated-questioning-BBC.html
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    And back on topic, is the first (weighted) poll to suggest Scotland on is own is keeping Remain in the lead against the opinion of the rest of the UK?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Standards:

It can be argued that Vodafone and Nokia gained their massive advantages in the international market in the early 2000s due to the decision by major European countries to standardise on the 2G GSM standard back in 1987/8, which was then mandated by the EU.

This is in comparison to the American market, which was stifled during that period by competing standards that meant a phone that worked in one city might not work in the next (until they eventually developed phones that could use all standards, but that took a while).

The European 2G market was much larger than the fragmented US market, meaning many other countries chose GSM rather than the US alternatives such as CDMA. That was to the distinct advantage of European countries.

Not an argument for EU membership, but it is somewhere the EU, yet alone European organisations, definitely helped.

Yes, there were four separate US 2G mobile standards: GSM, TDMA, CDMA, and that Motorola system that was only ever used by Nextel.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jeremy Corbyn will accuse the Tories of being responsible for a “crisis in our schools” as he addresses a teaching union.

The Labour leader will tell the National Union of Teachers (NUT) on Friday that the government’s push for academies and free schools will lead to the “asset-stripping of our education system”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/25/jeremy-corbyn-tories-asset-stripping-education-nut-conference

The NUT delegates will lap this up.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

And back on topic, is the first (weighted) poll to suggest Scotland on is own is keeping Remain in the lead against the opinion of the rest of the UK?

I would demand tribute from English Remainers if that was to happen.
  • Options
    British SAS forces have been deployed in Libya since the beginning of the year, according to a confidential briefing given to US congressional leaders by the king of Jordan.

A leaked memo indicates the US lawmakers were personally briefed by King Abdullah in January about plans for Jordan’s special forces to operate in the country alongside the British.

According to the notes of the meeting in the week of 11 January – seen by the Guardian – King Abdullah confirmed his country’s own special forces “will be imbedded [sic] with British SAS” in Libya.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/25/sas-deployed-libya-start-year-leaked-memo-king-abdullah
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Standards:

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/23/cameron_remain_o2_wtf/

GSM had nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    Sean_F said:

Jack W, I'm hoping that Hilary and the Donald will exchange the vilest insults during the campaign. And everything piece of mud they fling at each other will be true.

If nothing else, this is the most entertaining presidental election I can remember.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Standards:

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/23/cameron_remain_o2_wtf/

GSM had nothing to do with the EU.
    The EU mandated GSM, and ensured that the required frequencies could only be used by GSM.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/25102.php

So, as is often the case, the Register is wrong.
  • Options
    Twitter people getting pretty worked up that no news outlet has yet broken the Cruz news.
  • Options

Twitter people getting pretty worked up that no news outlet has yet broken the Cruz news.

If they don't I am sure TheDonald will remind them....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

L

justin124 said:

If nothing else the supply chain they rely on to get consumable items would take a masivenhit from the disappearance of the internet. A second order effect for sure but they would face raised prices and stock shortages.
    Maybe so - but in practice a lot of people use the Internet to get hold of telephone numbers etc. Yellow Pages and the regular Telephone Directory is still a good , readily available alternative - and continues to be widely used.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

The National Enquirer is, despite its reputation, highly reliable. It puts the BBC to shame.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

The National Enquirer is, despite its reputation, highly reliable. It puts the BBC to shame.
    I believe they have "got" other high profile politicians in the past.
  • Options
    He's conspicuously allowing Cruz to self destruct and the media to ignore the whole thing.

Then he'll come out shaming them all for ignoring the whole scandal, whilst they'd have been all over any of his.

It's a perfect result for his PR machine

• Options
    Gaius said:

Sean_F said:

Jack W, I'm hoping that Hilary and the Donald will exchange the vilest insults during the campaign. And everything piece of mud they fling at each other will be true.

If nothing else, this is the most entertaining presidental election I can remember.

Yep. Although little to do with politics. Can anyone actually remember a single policy position on the GOP side?
  • Options

Gaius said:

Sean_F said:

Yep. Although little to do with politics. Can anyone actually remember a single policy position on the GOP side?
    THE WALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL... ;-)
  • Options
    Reading Slate, they point out that Obama lost the "Whites without a college degree" demographic 64:36 in 2012.
  • Options
    It's been verified as a reputable source by ABC.

It's like the NOTW.

• Options
    edited March 2016

He's conspicuously allowing Cruz to self destruct and the media to ignore the whole thing.

Then he'll come out shaming them all for ignoring the whole scandal, whilst they'd have been all over any of his.

It's a perfect result for his PR machine

Whatever the result, I think there are going to be lots of books written about TheDonald's campaign tactics in the future. It is box office viewing watching him and the media go at it.
  • Options

Two explosions heard in Belgium, police operation related?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

Reading Slate, they point out that Obama lost the "Whites without a college degree" demographic 64:36 in 2012.

He also lost white voters 59:39, white men 62:35 and white women 56:42.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president/
  • Options
    Reuters
    Bulgaria says ready to erect fence on border with Greece https://t.co/COTLcKBWKC
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I don't know how far along the PM is with his "thinking" but when he comes back, he needs to start banging a few heads together.

I predict two u-turns on "Academies" and "Sugar Tax." I don't know why they are rushing these announcements, as they have clearly not been thought through.

We may be four years away from a GE but I sense things are beginning to turn in Labour's favour, in spite of Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Apart from the fun us political nerds are getting something very important is happening that will have far reaching implications.

The media, and this includes new media are being exposed as corrupt.

How this will play out is fascinating.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Those are the numbers that concern me about Trump. To overcome Hillary he needs to do very notably better with these groups than Romney. Can Trump win "Whites without a college degree" 75:25 make up for losing some college educated and minority voters? I'd reckon probably not.

For this reason, I'm sticking by my prediction of a Hillary victory.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I don't know how far along the PM is with his "thinking" but when he comes back, he needs to start banging a few heads together.

I predict two u-turns on "Academies" and "Sugar Tax." I don't know why they are rushing these announcements, as they have clearly not been thought through.

We may be four years away from a GE but I sense things are beginning to turn in Labour's favour, in spite of Jeremy Corbyn.

The academies move seems very silly to me. Huge numbers of schools have already converted and more are doing so, in part because the deal for doing so is very good. Cunning move by Gove, basically if you are a crap school you have to convert, if you want to convert you get favourable terms, but as a political argument it is basically dead.

Now forcing ALL schools just brings it up and pisses off a lot of people for little reward.
  • Options
    Ben Shapiro Verified account ‏@benshapiro 2m2 minutes ago
    BTW, if #CruzSexScandal turns out to be true, I'll dump Cruz faster than Trump dumps his latest wife when he sees a supermodel upgrade.

• Options
    Breitbart has a lot to answer here re Cruz.
    Gaius said:

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Apart from the fun us political nerds are getting something very important is happening that will have far reaching implications.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:

Paul Ryan nomination from the floor?
  • Options

It's been verified as a reputable source by ABC.

It's like the NOTW.

The National Enquirers stories about politicians foibles are usually well researched and accurate.

But they do carry stories whose veracity I doubt. Such as this one about Princess Diana's secret daughter.
  • Options
    Gaius said:

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Breitbart is going to take a hammering over this. Has the story and sat on it. So much for fearless truth reporting.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12203124/Brussels-terror-attacks-airport-metro-news-Salah-Abdeslam-Isil-live.html
    There have been "several explosions" and one man has been "neutralised" in a special forces in a raid in Schaerbeek, the Brussels suburb where this week's bomb attackers prepared their explosives, according to Belgian media.

According VTM, police also found a "bag of explosives".
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Those are the numbers that concern me about Trump. To overcome Hillary he needs to do very notably better with these groups than Romney. Can Trump win "Whites without a college degree" 75:25 make up for losing some college educated and minority voters? I'd reckon probably not.

For this reason, I'm sticking by my prediction of a Hillary victory.
    Because of the US system, I guess we need to see how all this breaks down in the crucial swing states rather than simple countrywide figures e.g. It seems like Trump will do a lot better in Florida, but also so far in the primaries the places he has done well are in states that Hiliary does well too (and will win regardless of the fact Trump does well there among GOP supporters).
  • Options

Ben Shapiro Verified account ‏@benshapiro 2m2 minutes ago
    BTW, if #CruzSexScandal turns out to be true, I'll dump Cruz faster than Trump dumps his latest wife when he sees a supermodel upgrade.

Lyin' cheatin' Ted's a wrong'n.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Paul Ryan nomination from the floor?
    I have a few quid on Ryan as an outside insurance bet. Bit of fun really. Almost certainly not going to happen. It's Trump v Clinton. But given the way this year has gone so far...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

Andrew Neil

Meanwhile I heard on R4 Today programme this morning (8.35+) Philippe de Backer is Belgian European Member of Parliament from the Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe state that the solution to improving security intelligence was more integration at the EU level of security.
    It went unchallenged by the R4 interviewer.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12203124/Brussels-terror-attacks-airport-metro-news-Salah-Abdeslam-Isil-live.html

There have been "several explosions" and one man has been "neutralised" in a special forces in a raid in Schaerbeek, the Brussels suburb where this week's bomb attackers prepared their explosives, according to Belgian media.

According VTM, police also found a "bag of explosives".
    I watched Kickass 2 last night, and there's a bit in it where the villain wants to make explosives, so he asks for bags of fertiliser.

He ends up with sacks of manure.

Edit: perhaps the ultimate dirty bomb.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Gaius said:

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Breitbart is going to take a hammering over this. Has the story and sat on it. So much for fearless truth reporting.
    I've never been a big Breitbart fan, as frankly a lot of its stories do not hold up to scrutiny. (Such as the one about Japan not allowing Muslims to become citizens.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    sarissa said:

I can't decide which would afford maximum entertainment, Scottish votes narrowly keeping the UK in, or an Out vote with Scotland strongly voting Remain.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Glenn Beck and Drudge are another two who've sat on this sex scandal. Lots of difficult questions from their listeners and readers. It's their USP.

Being duped into endorsing Cruz is one thing, knowingly backing him whilst having all this crap is another.
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Gaius said:

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

I've never been a big Breitbart fan, as frankly a lot of its stories do not hold up to scrutiny. (Such as the one about Japan not allowing Muslims to become citizens.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Gaius said:

JackW said:

Who'd be an editor :

Breitbart is an arsehole of an organisation. Their USP is saying the unsayable and running stories others will not dare to run.

And then try sit on the biggest political sory since the Edwards affair because they back Cruz.

They are done. Finished. Their readership will chew them up and spit them out.

Assuming story is true of course.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

sarissa said:

I can't decide which would afford maximum entertainment, Scottish votes narrowly keeping the UK in, or an Out vote with Scotland strongly voting Remain.
    I'm hoping for the second one which will be a complete Win-Win
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    As someone said, if this had been known about before USA, Cruz would have got 100% of the delegates in admiration of his score card: http://www.salon.com/2016/03/25/twitter_just_lost_its_god_damned_mind_over_ted_cruzsexscandal_mongering
  • Options
    edited March 2016

The academies move seems very silly to me. Huge numbers of schools have already converted and more are doing so, in part because the deal for doing so is very good. Cunning move by Gove, basically if you are a crap school you have to convert, if you want to convert you get favourable terms, but as a political argument it is basically dead.

Now forcing ALL schools just brings it up and pisses off a lot of people for little reward.
    Two items from Osborne that are alienating the Conservative councillor base is 1) the announcement from Osborne on Academies and 2) the expansion of regional Mayors (the rest view it as threatening). Osborne should have let Nikki Morgan announce it but Osborne thought he would do it to improve his Leadership chances..... He has no political brain these days and clearly his advisors are chocolate tea pots.
  • Options
    Two men have reportedly been arrested in Germany in connection with the Brussels attacks, reports Justin Huggler in Berlin.

One man is being held in Düsseldorf on suspicion of links with Ibrahim el-Bakraoui, one of the Brussels bombers, according to Spiegel magazine. The suspect, named only as Samir E under Germany privacy laws, was arrested by police special forces on Thursday.

He was detained in Turkey together with el-Bakraoui last summer on suspicion of attempting to travel to Syria to join Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil), according to Spiegel. The two men were deported from Turkey on the same flight.
  • Options

sarissa said:

I'm workig on a #yourewelcomebritian #bettertogether style tweet thing for option 1. Need to hone it some more.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Interesting how if Cameron had radically cut back role of EU he would have walked the referendum. "2015 reduce EU powers 43%".

Matthew Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

British attitudes toward the EU, 2002-2015, from the high quality British Social Attitudes @NatCen survey #euref ->
  • Options

sarissa said:

Still bitter?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    GeoffM said:

sarissa said:

I am with you Geoff
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    GeoffM said:

sarissa said:

So the former would be Lose-Lose?

Icing, meet cake.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Why have IS jihadists targeted Belgium?

IS thrives on chaos and disorder and, in Belgium, hopes to drive a wedge between Muslims and non-Muslims.

In a way, they hope for what Samuel Huntington described as the clash of civilisations. And by creating a sphere of Islamophobia, they seek to create a fertile breeding ground.

Looking at how Islamist networks in Belgium have operated, there has always been one grievance they cite: the feeling that Belgium has treated them as second-class citizens.

The ban on wearing the full face veil in public and the fact that ritual halal slaughter of animals is no longer allowed on private grounds have been named as reasons to leave the country by Belgian jihadist fighters.

At the start, some went to fight Syrian President Bashar al-Assad while others were enticed by family or friends.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35882372

We move through the cycles so quickly these days...
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    edited March 2016

Why have IS jihadists targeted Belgium?

IS thrives on chaos and disorder and, in Belgium, hopes to drive a wedge between Muslims and non-Muslims.

In a way, they hope for what Samuel Huntington described as the clash of civilisations. And by creating a sphere of Islamophobia, they seek to create a fertile breeding ground.

Looking at how Islamist networks in Belgium have operated, there has always been one grievance they cite: the feeling that Belgium has treated them as second-class citizens.

The ban on wearing the full face veil in public and the fact that ritual halal slaughter of animals is no longer allowed on private grounds have been named as reasons to leave the country by Belgian jihadist fighters.

At the start, some went to fight Syrian President Bashar al-Assad while others were enticed by family or friends.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35882372

We move through the cycles so quickly these days...

France and Belgium are the only two countries in Europe to have officially banned the niqab/burka. Often overlooked but something ISIS has often mentioned in their anti French propaganda. The issue of women fully veiling is VERY important to ISIS. It's one of the first things they implement when taking control in an area and they punish harshly if not adhered to. In his "Call to Hijrah" speech, Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi listed being able to wear "proper hijab" (ie being completely covered) as one of the reasons for women to go to the Caliphate.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Guy daubs phallic symbols across pot holes to get the council to fix them...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/24/surrey_road_daubed/

They didn't do anything. I guess next time he should try writing "Trump for President".

Hope those offended get "counciling"
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

sarissa said:

So the former would be Lose-Lose?

Icing, meet cake.
    With apologies; I don't follow your logic there.
  • Options
    http://www.businessinsider.com/national-enquirer-stories-that-were-true-2013-2?op=1&IR=T
    The National Enquirer recently made the crazy claim that Tiger Woods and his ex-wife Elin Nordegren were back together.

The story was dismissed by the media.

But the publication has been right about Woods' personal life before. The National Enquirer was the first to report Woods' extramarital affairs back in 2009.

The company's been credible with other big stories, too.

From high-profile love children to shocking divorces, check out National Enquirer stories that actually turned out to be true.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Being duped into endorsing Cruz is one thing, knowingly backing him whilst having all this crap is another.

Did poor old Jeb! know about this?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    pɐǝɹɥʇ ʍǝu
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

This discussion has been closed.