Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM referendum findings suggest that turnout won’t be at ge

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_P said:

@Grinbin5: So much fence sitting
    #SNP must have to constantly pick splinters out their backsides, dangerous with pants on fire. https://t.co/JVbXEvKXFY

I see you are ignoring the result of the investigation of one of your previous favourite smears. Proven to be a lying toad yet again. You are not so particular about correcting your smears when you have been proven to be lying through your teeth.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    IIRC the National Enquirer has outed several big names before

Jesse Jackson and Gary Hart spring to mind. The PAC hush money allegations and CNN staffer just drags in all manner of other angles.

And all the networks are avoiding the whole thing as Twitter explodes. Wonder who'll go first?
    Alasdair said:

I didn't know The Good Wife was a Cruz campaign handbook

From trusTED to busTED?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited March 2016

Sean_F said:

WRT bullying, surely everyone gets bullied at school on occasion? I know I did and I wasn't unusual.

I was never bullied at school. At the time I was the only non white student at my school.
    Nor was I, and there was virtually no bullying at all in the (international Danish-based) school that I was aware of (I once intervened when there was an attempt to throw a kid into the shower, but that was a single incident in a number of years).

I think that we have become accustomed in Britain (and some other countries) to think of unpleasant behaviour as normal and something one needs to learn to deal with without recourse to authority. I think that's a mistaken view - if you have a good childhood with a pleasant school environment, you're able to shrug off unpleasant behaviour (without usually needing authority) when you encounter it later because you'll feel secure in yourself (I genuinely don't care if SeanT thinks I'm a moron, for instance). If you start off with an unpleasant environment you will develop unpredictable coping strategies, frrom counter-aggression to cowering submission.
  • Options

IIRC the National Enquirer has outed several big names before

Jesse Jackson and Gary Hart spring to mind. The PAC hush money allegations and CNN staffer just drags in all manner of other angles.

And all the networks are avoiding the whole thing as Twitter explodes. Wonder who'll go first?

Alasdair said:

I didn't know The Good Wife was a Cruz campaign handbook

From trusTED to busTED?
    John Edwards
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    is the 7/2 ladbrokes offering on turnout under 50% worth a punt?
  • Options
    Love the innuendo
    A super PAC supporting former tech executive Carly Fiorina's run reported raising $3.5 million -- with a half-million dollar lift from a super PAC supporting GOP presidential rival Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.).

The pro-Cruz PAC, Keep the Promise I, reported the disbursement Friday in a document filed with the Federal Election Commission. That is...unusual, to say the least.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/07/31/why-did-a-ted-cruz-super-pac-donate-to-carly-fiorina
  • Options
    Just stuck a tenner on Kasich at 9/1. If this story is true, Cruz will surely have to drop out, which makes Kasich the last anti-Trump candidate in the race. While he is running on a moderate platform, conservatives would surely prefer him to Trump? If he can take it to the convention, he would likely pick up most of Rubio's delegates
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    From previous posts,

As a white adult heterosexual male in 1973, can I defend the times?

There was racism, sexism and probably a few isms that had yet to be invented. But as well, there was a degree of self-awareness and personal shame from doing bad things that seems to be disappearing.

We gave up seats to old gits and women. If we got very drunk, we vomited and urinated in private as far as possible. Fat people were fewer, but no one was offended by being called fat if they were morbidly obese (or pretended they weren't.

Oh, and no one in their teens explained to the old gits what life was like in the thirties.
  • Options
    Cruz can't find God, so that only leaves confession that he's a sex addict and going to rehab will do now :wink:

Just stuck a tenner on Kasich at 9/1. If this story is true, Cruz will surely have to drop out, which makes Kasich the last anti-Trump candidate in the race. While he is running on a moderate platform, conservatives would surely prefer him to Trump? If he can take it to the convention, he would likely pick up most of Rubio's delegates

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    stodge said:

Central Government has apparently since 2010 sold off an area of land the size of Monaco

Monaco has a land area of 0.78 square miles.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Sean_F said:

WRT bullying, surely everyone gets bullied at school on occasion? I know I did and I wasn't unusual.

I was never bullied at school. At the time I was the only non white student at my school.
    Nor was I, and there was virtually no bullying at all in the (international Danish-based) school that I was aware of (I once intervened when there was an attempt to throw a kid into the shower, but that was a single incident in a number of years).

I think that we have become accustomed in Britain (and some other countries) to think of unpleasant behaviour as normal and something one needs to learn to deal with without recourse to authority. I think that's a mistaken view - if you have a good childhood with a pleasant school environment, you're able to shrug off unpleasant behaviour (without usually needing authority) when you encounter it later because you'll feel secure in yourself (I genuinely don't care if SeanT thinks I'm a moron, for instance). If you start off with an unpleasant environment you will develop unpredictable coping strategies, frrom counter-aggression to cowering submission.
    Girls, particularly those from the tougher estates, could be far more cruel than boys, and exploited to the full the unwritten rule that as a boy you never touched them.
  • Options

If Cruz drops out then Trump has this, he will be able to take it over the line.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Alistair said:
    I would not even kid about that, even thinking of it would drive me insane.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Sean_F said:

I genuinely don't care if SeanT thinks I'm a moron....
    I think you misread SeanT .... with you missionary zeal for Jezza he thinks you're a Labour Mormon.

• Options

Cruz can't find God, so that only leaves confession that he's a sex addict and going to rehab will do now :wink:

The Trump campaign must be high fiving it around the office right now. Things couldn't possibly be going better for them.

Imagine the atmosphere when Hillary is asked to comment on this....
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Can't help feeling Trump's Lying Ted meme had this nuke in mind. His opposition research would know the rumours months ago.

Could be totally wrong, but isn't Trump a friend of the NE too? Washington Post obviously know stuff too.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Imagine the atmosphere when Hillary is asked to comment on this....

"That's a personal question for between Ted, his wife and God"

Easiest answer ever.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dr Palmer,

I'm not sure about safe spaces and the like. I put it down as a cause of elongated childhoods that extend into the late twenties. Life can be unfair and nasty at times - but you need to be exposed to real life to some extent (and protected to some extent, although not totally).

I remember discussing my childhood with a young, right-on colleague who was a public schoolboy. When I suggested the mix of people was fairly normal on my council estate, he declared himself 'offended' when I went on to suggest ..."but there were the usual bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves you get everywhere."

Obviously not a fan of Cher?
  • Options

Can't help feeling Trump's Lying Ted meme had this nuke in mind. His opposition research would know the rumours months ago.

Whether Trump wins or loses, I think even his bitterest opponent would concede he has played a stormer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited March 2016
    Wow, that's the best page to read for the details. It's unbelievable that this was an open secret among journalists (c.f. thething hashtag on Twitter) throughout the campaign.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    'His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process. '
    I would argue that everyday life has not changed that much since 1973 . Mobile phones and PCs and that is it.Most other changes are refinements of gadgets which were already available.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Whether Trump wins or loses, I think even his bitterest opponent would concede he has played a stormer.
    For himself but for the Democrats too.
  • Options
    Best hashtag so far #Cruzified

:lol:
    taffys said:

• Options
    JackW said:

taffys said:

Maybe, but it will be much closer than you think. Trump has destroyed his opponents. He hasn't even started on Hillary.
  • Options
    Isn't it great? The Enquirer story isn't online yet for obvious reasons - it must be flying off the shelves right now.

Wow, that's the best page to read for the details. It's unbelievable that this was an open secret among journalists (c.f. thething hashtag on Twitter) throughout the campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    Williamglenn, it's unbelievable that Cruz would run for President, with this time bomb about to go off.
  • Options

taffys said:

Cruz has that cross to bear.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Williamglenn, it's unbelievable that Cruz would run for President, with this time bomb about to go off.

JackW said:

taffys said:

Cruz has that cross to bear.
    Is a good time of the year for (Christian) resurrection.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

I think this is outrageous. The idiot who accosted a Muslim woman and asked her to explain/justify the Belgian attacks [and subsequently tweeted about it] has now been charged:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35898029

The bloke's an utter fool, but [almost] everyone responded appropriately by mocking the contemptible buffoon. Police action is excessive.

I believe someone who vaguely knows him claims he is mentally ill and has had some sort of breakdown. Not sure if arresting and charging someone is the best thing to do.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    CD13 said:

Dr Palmer,

I'm not sure about safe spaces and the like. I put it down as a cause of elongated childhoods that extend into the late twenties. Life can be unfair and nasty at times - but you need to be exposed to real life to some extent (and protected to some extent, although not totally).

I remember discussing my childhood with a young, right-on colleague who was a public schoolboy. When I suggested the mix of people was fairly normal on my council estate, he declared himself 'offended' when I went on to suggest ..."but there were the usual bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves you get everywhere."

Obviously not a fan of Cher?

Well, we're all being anecdotal here, and there's probably more than one way of coping with the issues that arise in life. Like a lot of (former) politicians I'm resilient, and attribute it to an agreeable childhood. If I'd had a childhood where I learned to thump and be thumped, that'd be a way of coping too, but I'm not convinced it would have been better either for me or for the people I interacted with.

The fact that life can be unfair and nasty at times is clear - the question is whether you prepare for it best by experiencing that at school (what you might call the homeopathic approach) or by getting used to feeling confident and cheerful about life, so that the odd unpleasant incident doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I wonder what titbits Trump has on some of his other opponents?
  • Options
    'Five affairs, Ted that doesn't sound like something a devote Christian should be doing. #CruzSexScandal https://t.co/k05yuIHH2R'

It is pure humbug. A devout Christian should never have had pre-marital sex - never mind cheating on his wife!
  • Options
    taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

Maybe, but it will be much closer than you think. Trump has destroyed his opponents. He hasn't even started on Hillary.
    You think Hillary and co are shrinking violets?

It's a view.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    justin124 said:

'His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process. '
    I would argue that everyday life has not changed that much since 1973 . Mobile phones and PCs and that is it.Most other changes are refinements of gadgets which were already available.

You spend your entire day using electronic devices. You don't need to go to the shops. Your car actually works when you turn it on.

I'd say the changes are at least as significant as in the previous 40 years.

Edit to add: nothing to do with the EU, of course. Merely a reflection that there has been fairly rapid technological change.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

What's the point in being the last anti-Trump candidate in the race? The anti-Trump candidates haven't got enough votes between them, let alone any of them having enough individually.
  • Options
    Back on topic :

Sporting's spread for the referendum turnout is 60%- 62%.

Their spread for those voting REMAIN is largely unchanged at 53% - 54%.

I'd be a seller on both these spreads, but DYOR.
  • Options
    Update Four is a corker
    If you look up #TheThing and go back to March 10th – March 14th, what you’ll find are multiple conversations about finding someone, anyone, to report on the Ted Cruz affairs. The group pushing for the requested articles were seemingly all supporters of Marco Rubio.

The apparent thinking was if they could get the media to pick-up the story prior to Super Tuesday, it would finish off Ted Cruz and allow Marco Rubio to win in several key elections and states.

Unfortunately, the truth-tellers ran into the corporate side of the media enterprises. Breitbart owned by pro-Cruz Super-PAC funder Robert Mercer was one of the roadblocks. The editor, Ben Shapiro, also now being named as one of the political advocates who would not allow his chosen candidate to be ‘outed”. Shapiro is also the Editor of The Daily Wire, which is also owned by a Pro-Cruz Super-PAC team, The Wilks Brothers.
    http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/03/24/the-national-enquirer-runs-story-of-multiple-ted-cruz-affairs/
  • Options
    edited March 2016

This comes from a national newspaper, not the Trump campaign. That is why it is so beautiful.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,651
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Central Government has apparently since 2010 sold off an area of land the size of Monaco

Or about 500 acres, which is enough for about 5000-6000 houses :-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. SE, if that is the case, hopefully he can make a full recovery.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,944
    Rubio must be absolubtely fuming.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    taffys said:

This comes from a national newspaper, not the Trump campaign. That is why it is so beautiful.
    Did you see who gave the first response in the article. I am sure Trump is currently in total shock at this report.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Time to start backing Kasich?
  • Options
    taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

I must admit, I thought that Trump would run Hillary close, and that - while it would be close - she would probably just edge it.

Increasingly, I am of the opinion that Trump does not have a broad enough coalition to win the election. He's managed to get an incredibly firm 38-40% of the electorate, but I think Hillary will comfortable manage to get two-thirds of the other 60% out to vote against him.

So, somewhat sadly, I'm going to call this one as a reasonably comfortable win for Hillary.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    Jack W, I'm hoping that Hilary and the Donald will exchange the vilest insults during the campaign. And everything piece of mud they fling at each other will be true.
  • Options
    Dr P,

As you're an old git too, we can agree to vary (not differ).
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That would be British-style "little boxes" or perhaps around 1,000 houses for your average multi-millionnaire.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Pulpstar said:

It's not like he'd have won if Cruz hadn't been in the race. He just wasn't very good.
  • Options
    And Jeb! :wink:
    Pulpstar said:

• Options
    JackW said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

You think Hillary and co are shrinking violets?

It's a view.

I'm sure you're right. But I think this scandal affects the democrat campaign too, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited March 2016
    Sean_F said:

Jack W, I'm hoping that Hilary and the Donald will exchange the vilest insults during the campaign. And everything piece of mud they fling at each other will be true.

I can see during the debates in October, if Hillary gets shrill, Trump replies with.

'With that kind of attitude I can see why Bill cheated on you so many times'
  • Options
    #CruzSexScandal This will help with the pro adultery late deciders.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

'Five affairs, Ted that doesn't sound like something a devote Christian should be doing. #CruzSexScandal https://t.co/k05yuIHH2R'

It is pure humbug. A devout Christian should never have had pre-marital sex - never mind cheating on his wife!

Remember, it's not pre-marital sex if you never get married.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I must admit, I thought that Trump would run Hillary close, and that - while it would be close - she would probably just edge it.

Increasingly, I am of the opinion that Trump does not have a broad enough coalition to win the election. He's managed to get an incredibly firm 38-40% of the electorate, but I think Hillary will comfortable manage to get two-thirds of the other 60% out to vote against him.

So, somewhat sadly, I'm going to call this one as a reasonably comfortable win for Hillary.

If Trump runs a smart campaign, which has to be a safe assumption at this point, it's hard to see how he does worse than Romney, nor how Clinton does as well as Obama.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

John Edwards kept an affair going while running for president, then being the presumptive pick for VP and his wife dying of cancer
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

You spend your entire day using electronic devices. You don't need to go to the shops. Your car actually works when you turn it on.

Edit to add: nothing to do with the EU, of course. Merely a reflection that there has been fairly rapid technological change.

It's at least arguable that the single market in Europe has incentivised the creation of technical standards around a lot of products.

• Options
    'I'd say the changes are at least as significant as in the previous 40 years. '

I would disagree there. Forty odd years earlier in the early 1930s very few people had the basic appliances. How many then owned a car or had access to a telephone at home? Electricity was very much a luxury and most people did not have a wireless. Outside toilets etc were the norm.Holidays unknown to the majority. Very few people would opt to return to that world whereas many today opt out of PCs and the Mobile phone culture and quite a number are happy to continue relying on vinyl records for entertainment. I am sure that someone from 1973 could relate far better to the world of today than to circa 1930.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I can see during the debates in October, if Hillary gets shrill, Trump replies with.

It isn;t what Bill may or may not have done.

It's what Hillary may or may not have done to assist him.

Hillary Clinton may prove to be a nightmare candidate for the democrats.
  • Options
    Logical Campaign
    The #CruzSexScandal has been trending number one in America for 12 hours straight and now trending worldwide https://t.co/hNmwOvViR5
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sean_F said:

I think that very similar to what I have been saying. In a well run society (and schools are a microcosm of society) social norms are developed that mean that such behaviour as bullying are so outlandish that they never occur. Historically Scandanavian societes are an excellent example of such normative use of Focaults diffuse social power such that low crime rates combined with prisons that are considered ridiculously soft by our standards.

The introduction of large numbers of people with different social norms will be a major source of culture clash, if for example migrants come from a culture where social norms are expressed in other ways. For example if women go out dressed in Western style revealing clothes in many Middle Eastern countries they are considered fair game for sexual harrassment or worse (indeed this would be the use of Foucaults diffuse social power to reinforce a misogynistic heirarchical structure).

In such a situation social conflict is to be expected until either the issue is resolved by social pressure, or more authoritarian means may be required.
  • Options
    "Interestingly Sarah Isgur Flores, in addition to being a well known political operative, was also the campaign manager for Carly Fiorina. "

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/03/24/the-national-enquirer-runs-story-of-multiple-ted-cruz-affairs/

Small world as they say.
  • Options
    'Remember, it's not pre-marital sex if you never get married.'

ok - but it would still be fornication!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If Trump runs a smart campaign, which has to be a safe assumption at this point, it's hard to see how he does worse than Romney, nor how Clinton does as well as Obama.
    -31 favorability.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Popcorn shares .. BUY BUY BUY ..
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Trump may be a political outsider but he's a society insider and if there is any non-public domain scandal about Hillary he will know about it and know how to exploit it.

Huma Abedin will probably be a household name before long.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Enough for 37,800 inhabitants, a railway station, lots of luxury hotels, a couple of casinos, a lot of restaraunts, the most expensive nightclub in the world (Jimmyz), and a Grand Prix. It's also got some quite nice public spaces.

It's amazing how much you can fit in three quarters of a square mile.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    He's a keeper. He really plumbed the depths.

About 80% of #cruzsexscandal tweets are wondering how he got 5 women to sleep with him.

And Twitter won't autocomplete the hashtag with over 250k tweets.
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

John Edwards kept an affair going while running for president, then being the presumptive pick for VP and his wife dying of cancer
  • Options
    Incredibly, Cruz's price has as yet barely moved on Betfair's GOP Nominee market where he is on offer at 7.2 - 7.4. Kasich has narrowed very slightly to 17 - 18, so no real push for him.
    Trump remains at 1.41 - 1.43.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Hillary - "Well Donald by your own account if Americans want a big dick in the White House, you're the man .."
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    justin124 said:

I would disagree there. Forty odd years earlier in the early 1930s very few people had the basic appliances. How many then owned a car or had access to a telephone at home? Electricity was very much a luxury and most people did not have a wireless. Outside toilets etc were the norm.Holidays unknown to the majority. Very few people would opt to return to that world whereas many today opt out of PCs and the Mobile phone culture and quite a number are happy to continue relying on vinyl records for entertainment. I am sure that someone from 1973 could relate far better to the world of today than to circa 1930.

No nothing has changed in the last 40 years...nothing significant...no...just that tiny fact you can now access basically every bit of information every created ever instantly and send messages around the world instantly...nothing significant. Now most people's lives wouldn't function without that ability.

That has to be one of the most bonkers things I have read on here.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Guy daubs phallic symbols across pot holes to get the council to fix them...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/24/surrey_road_daubed/

They didn't do anything. I guess next time he should try writing "Trump for President".

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.
    Yes and many polls predict that Cruz would beat Hillary,

What do you reckon to that now?

Trump has zero friends. All the polls are being run by organisations that cannot abide him, including (and indeed especially) the republican side.
  • Options
    Those GOP candidates who have dropped out have technically only 'suspended' their campaigns - rather than closing them down completely. Do they not have the option of re-entering as a result of a dramatic change in the circumstances?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Interesting piece on China, freedom of expression, and 20 odd arrests for people who called for Xi Jinping (Chinese president) to resign:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-35897905
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Those GOP candidates who have dropped out have technically only 'suspended' their campaigns - rather than closing them down completely. Do they not have the option of re-entering as a result of a dramatic change in the circumstances?

An Easter campaign resurrection?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Hillary - "Well Donald by your own account if Americans want a big dick in the White House, you're the man .."
    It isn;t about Bill, its about what Hillary did or didn't do to protect him. That is Trump's......er......trump
  • Options
    :smiley:

Guy daubs phallic symbols across pot holes to get the council to fix them...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/24/surrey_road_daubed/

They didn't do anything. I guess next time he should try writing "Trump for President".

• Options

justin124 said:

An Easter campaign resurrection?
    Even Christ would have a bit of trouble coming back from this...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

It's at least arguable that the single market in Europe has incentivised the creation of technical standards around a lot of products.

Technical standards set by organisations such as the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). The ISO alone have published more than 19,000 standards since the 40s.

Then there is the United Nations Economic Commission Europe (UNECE) who are responsible for the majority of technical standardisation for transport (including docks, railways, road networks, etc).

I could go on and on and on. It is a myth that the EU initiates a significant amount of technical standards.
  • Options
    It'd be hard for Rubio given its his supporters who knew all along and he didn't say anything.

And he's announced he's quitting politics.
    justin124 said:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    '. Now most people's lives wouldn't function without that ability.'
    I would find it very difficult without the Internet - though I do not use mobile phones other than for long distance car travel. Many people,however, are perfectly content to do without modern modes of communication made available by PCs etc. In saying that I am not referring to older people of 75+ but a good few in their 40s and 50s.
    So whilst the technology is there, many choose not to make use of it.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

Trump has zero friends. All the polls are being run by organisations that cannot abide him, including (and indeed especially) the republican side.
    'Many' polls put Cruz ahead in a Hillary Cruz matchup? I do not think so.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Trump needs 64 more electoral votes that Romney did.

Even if he were to win Michigan, Ohio and Pennylvania (and not lose anything in return), he'd still be short. And I wonder if a couple of states with very significant Hispanic populations might be in play for the Democrats - Arizona, for example.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    justin124 said:

'. Now most people's lives wouldn't function without that ability.'
    I would find it very difficult without the Internet - though I do not use mobile phones other than for long distance car travel. Many people,however, are perfectly content to do without modern modes of communication made available by PCs etc. In saying that I am not referring to older people of 75+ but a good few in their 40s and 50s.

The world would now not function without the Internet. Its that simple. It isn't a choice or a luxury like a 100" UHD flat screen tv vs a 40" HD one. It doesn't matter if you personally opt out of directly using it, your whole life is shaped by interaction with it, as every service you use day to day relies on it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,944
    Cruz won't quit, but it should hit him enough at the edges for Trump to take Wisconsin I reckon.
  • Options
    Several of the women who supposedly had an affair with Ted Cruz have been identified. Are we allowed to mention them on here?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I would suggest the big difference between 1930 and 1973 was that so many people essentially got to live the middle class lifestyle. Most of the things you mention existed in 1930, but were not available to more than a small number.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Retribution Trump style
    ...The sex scandal reports come one day after Donald Trump's wife, Melania, was slut-shamed in an attack ad that showed an old nude photo of her.

Sources claim Ted's mistresses include a powerful political consultant, a D.C. attorney, and a prostitute. “Private detectives are digging into at least five affairs Ted Cruz supposedly had,” a Washington insider told the National Enquirer. “The leaked details are an attempt to destroy what’s left of his White House campaign.”

Cruz, the son of a Christian evangelical pastor, has capitalized on his self-proclaimed religious piety to win the Republican primaries in religious states like Utah and Iowa.

... The group, led by fired political strategist Liz Mair, suggested Melania is not fit to be First Lady because she posed nude years ago when she was a model.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/ted-cruz-sex-scandal-follows-melania-trump-slut-shaming-did-ted-have-5-affairs
  • Options
    taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

So the polls that broadly have been accurate on the GOP nomination are being skewed against Trump to favour Clinton for POTUS.

It's a view.
  • Options
    'The world would now not function without the Internet. Its that simple. It isn't a choice or a luxury like a 100" UHD flat screen tv vs a 40" HD one'

But there are millions of people even in developed countries such as our own who do not use it - and have no intention of doing so. Just as I refuse to carry around a mobile phone!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

OK split hairs. Most polls give Cruz a way better chance against Hillary than Trump. ''Hey, republicans, Cruz is the better candidate guys''

Still believe the polls?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    justin124 said:

'The world would now not function without the Internet. Its that simple. It isn't a choice or a luxury like a 100" UHD flat screen tv vs a 40" HD one'

But there are millions of people even in developed countries such as our own who do not use it - and have no intention of doing so. Just as I refuse to carry around a mobile phone!

Internet != mobile phone. And it matter not if you personally use internet services, it still impacts and shapes your life. 100 year old in a care home, all their service is provided in part with use of internet enabled systems.

You are frankly totally bonkers if you think that nothing significant has changed in the past 30-40 years. If the Internet was switched off tomorrow, the world would not function.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    taffys said:

Alistair said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

OK split hairs. Most polls give Cruz a way better chance against Hillary than Trump. ''Hey, republicans, Cruz is the better candidate guys''

Still believe the polls?
    Yes, they have been broadly accurate given certain provisos over demographic make up.
  • Options
    Breitbart had the dirt on Cruz since February but killed it off. They are owned by Robert Mercer who funds a pro-Cruz super PAC.

https://twitter.com/IAmVerySilky/status/713247897878470656
  • Options
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

Technical standards set by organisations such as the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). The ISO alone have published more than 19,000 standards since the 40s.

Then there is the United Nations Economic Commission Europe (UNECE) who are responsible for the majority of technical standardisation for transport (including docks, railways, road networks, etc).

I could go on and on and on. It is a myth that the EU initiates a significant amount of technical standards.
    But it is also worth remembering that a large chunk of EU legislation that we implement is actually generated by these international standards bodies - just via the EU.
  • Options
    JackW said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

So the polls that broadly have been accurate on the GOP nomination are being skewed against Trump to favour Clinton for POTUS.

It's a view.
    Well there are polls and polls. Its interesting how Trump is a lion the republican race only polls and yet withers in the face of Hillary's fiery righteousness when its repub v. dem.

And how those Turkeys in the repub race fly like eagles when it comes to facing Hillary.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Trump needs 64 more electoral votes that Romney did.

Even if he were to win Michigan, Ohio and Pennylvania (and not lose anything in return), he'd still be short. And I wonder if a couple of states with very significant Hispanic populations might be in play for the Democrats - Arizona, for example.
    The essentials of Clinton/Trump are as you stated.

Trump has to expand his map, expand his base, expand his minority reach and expand his ratings.

Politics hasn't seen such expansion since Eric Pickles volunteered to be inflated to become an alternate London flood barrier.
  • Options
    taffys said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

-31 favorability.

It's a view.
    Well there are polls and polls. Its interesting how Trump is a lion the republican race only polls and yet withers in the face of Hillary's fiery righteousness when its repub v. dem.

And how those Turkeys in the repub race fly like eagles when it comes to facing Hillary.
    It is almost like the electorates are different!
This discussion has been closed.