Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Predict the outcome of May’s London Mayoral Election in the

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    Liverpool and Bradford, one is full of the descendants of economic migrants to Britain, the legacy of Empire, largely from a religious minority that has been unpopular and discriminated against, unfairly associated with terrorists
    The other is in Yorkshire
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I will be surprised if Kasich doesn't beat Trump by double digits:

Monmouth, Ohio

Kasich 40
    Trump 35
    Cruz 15
    Rubio 5

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/e2e94533-5376-4498-8e62-b21454f3e8ba.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

I am currently planning to spoil my ballot paper. The whole lot of them look useless and I can't dignify any of them with my vote.

Sadly, I increasingly share your view. It is incomprehensible to me that the Conservative Party has chosen someone so appallingly anti-business.
    When has he ever sad he is anti-business? Absurd
    He is anti-Uber and anti-Heathrow expansion. How much more anti-business would you like?
    There's nothing anti-business in believing minimum safety standards and pollution limits should be met.
    Uber drivers are subject to the same rules and regulations as any mini cab driver. In fact, the vast majority of them are ex-mini cab drivers, who prefer to take 85% of a smaller fare rather than 50% of a larger one.

Uber has changed - for the better - more lives than any politicians has in living memory. To have the two leading candidates for mayor in hock to vested interests is utterly disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    I've got no problem with different fare limits and ratios. What I object to is Uber pretending its drivers are not really employees when they limit them from taking fares outside their system, and thus not giving the appropriate employee protections or taking liability responsibilities.
    I believe that is an issue in the US, where Uber provides the insurance. In the UK, it is the responsibility of the driver to get their own commercial insurance. Indeed, I've had several Uber drivers who've explained to me that they alternate between working for minicab firms (where you get prebooked Heathrow jobs) and Uber (where you get surge pricing on a Friday night).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Can't see how Trump wins Ohio, tactical voting has worked brilliantly for Kasich.

Strategically that's great news for Trump though (According to Sam Wang)
    Strategically it's bad news for Trump.
    He needs those 66 delegates and to get rid of Kasich to demoralize the anti-Trump forces.

In a 3 way race, strategic voting for Kasich in the east and for Cruz in the west is enough to deny Trump victory as long as Trump is bellow 40%, the result will be a nasty convention in which the GOP splinters in 3 pieces since no one will get what they want, except Romney of course.
    Result: winner Democrats.

It's the logical end result of a very sickly organization that the Republicans have become, in that probably G.W. Bush maybe their last president ever.
    Of course *we* know that. Did you read Wang's article?
    I don't need to know a Sam Wang to do the arithmetic for me.
    Simple math plus a simple look around the anti-Trump forces to see what they are plotting is enough.
    You misunderstand, neither Pulps nor I express any confidence in Mr Wang's view
    I think keeping it works as follows:

Winning Ohio - Greater chance of hitting the 1237 threshold. Greater chance of Cruz overtaking him.

Losing Ohio - Less chance of hitting 1237. Practically no chance of Cruz overtaking him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @adrianmcmenamin: Shadow Cabinet members - now would be a good time to ask yourself if you are really making any sort of difference or just propping this up.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JournoStephen: The Labour Party in 2016. https://t.co/9vTYNw0Lkb
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

I am currently planning to spoil my ballot paper. The whole lot of them look useless and I can't dignify any of them with my vote.

Sadly, I increasingly share your view. It is incomprehensible to me that the Conservative Party has chosen someone so appallingly anti-business.
    He is anti-Uber and anti-Heathrow expansion. How much more anti-business would you like?
    There's nothing anti-business in believing minimum safety standards and pollution limits should be met.
    Uber drivers are subject to the same rules and regulations as any mini cab driver. In fact, the vast majority of them are ex-mini cab drivers, who prefer to take 85% of a smaller fare rather than 50% of a larger one.

Uber has changed - for the better - more lives than any politicians has in living memory. To have the two leading candidates for mayor in hock to vested interests is utterly disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    I've got no problem with different fare limits and ratios. What I object to is Uber pretending its drivers are not really employees when they limit them from taking fares outside their system, and thus not giving the appropriate employee protections or taking liability responsibilities.
    I believe that is an issue in the US, where Uber provides the insurance. In the UK, it is the responsibility of the driver to get their own commercial insurance. Indeed, I've had several Uber drivers who've explained to me that they alternate between working for minicab firms (where you get prebooked Heathrow jobs) and Uber (where you get surge pricing on a Friday night).
    I'm pretty sure companies can face lawsuits if they employ someone that puts the public in danger because they didn't do the proper checks. Uber tries to dodge that by pretending its employees are not actually employees. Also often paying below minimum wage in the process.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Can't see how Trump wins Ohio, tactical voting has worked brilliantly for Kasich.

He needs those 66 delegates and to get rid of Kasich to demoralize the anti-Trump forces.

In a 3 way race, strategic voting for Kasich in the east and for Cruz in the west is enough to deny Trump victory as long as Trump is bellow 40%, the result will be a nasty convention in which the GOP splinters in 3 pieces since no one will get what they want, except Romney of course.

It's the logical end result of a very sickly organization that the Republicans have become, in that probably G.W. Bush maybe their last president ever.
    Simple math plus a simple look around the anti-Trump forces to see what they are plotting is enough.

Winning Ohio - Greater chance of hitting the 1237 threshold. Greater chance of Cruz overtaking him.

Losing Ohio - Less chance of hitting 1237. Practically no chance of Cruz overtaking him.
    Well, that's like my assessment only more clearly worded :)
  • Options
    ICM = titter....

Howay the lads...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/03/14/trump-rises-national-support-rubio-falls-and-carso/

Trump 53 +9
    Cruz 22 +1
    Kasich 11 +2
    Rubio 10 -7

I don't believe this poll, if it's accurate then Trump has to score close or above 50% at some states tomorrow, and there is little evidence that Rubio's support has gone to Trump in the state polls.

Rubio's are evenly split / didn't go to anyone. Carson's say 6 go to Trump.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Nowithstanding the caveats ICM does rather confirm the trend shown by yesterday’s ComRes online poll . Maybe worth pointing out that Labour is actually now doing better with ICM than at the same stage of the last Parliament – March 2011 – when we were looking at Con 37 Lab 36 LD 16!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    RodCrosby said:

perdix said:

Roger said:

Completely OT. I had reason to go to the National Media Museum in Bradford. For anyone living nearby I can really recommend it. It's supposed to be moving to the V&A which seems a shame for Bradford though several of the great and the good are trying to keep it where it is.

Bradford is not what I expected at all. A well laid out City Centre not unlike Liverpool with several galleries cafes restaurants and theaters. Interesting also the huge density of Muslims. Far greater than anywhere else I've been to in the UK. Generally a very colourful place

More mosques than Liverpool I think.

Although we had the first, opened on Christmas Day 1889...
    Shah Jehan Mosque in Woking was opened to the public in Oct or Nov 1889 and was apparently the first purpose-built mosque in the country. It is a prominent landmark which can be seen as you approach Woking from the east by train.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Blue on blue having an effect?

ICM poll not worthy of own thread!!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

That's only one of the tests of being employees though, most of the other tests would fall on the side of being self-employed.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

That's only one of the tests of being employees though, most of the other tests would fall on the side of being self-employed.
    Such as?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Ouch

James Worron
    A party that's divided on Europe vs one divided on hating Jews isn't really a contest.

Stupidest comment of the day
    It does feel like some nasty comments/individuals are being used to paint the party as racist.

Not nice when that happens is it?
    No it isn't and it's invariably from people who have pretty suspect views themselves. I don't want to get into it.
    It does seem that among some in the Labour Party, anti-semitism isn't taken seriously though
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm pretty sure companies can face lawsuits if they employ someone that puts the public in danger because they didn't do the proper checks. Uber tries to dodge that by pretending its employees are not actually employees. Also often paying below minimum wage in the process.
    How is Uber different from a mini cab firm?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

So the fightback has begun! Labour now level pegging. This'll either be a wake up call or the start of a countdown to a repeat of '97.

Relying on Corbyn being unelectable is all very well if the Tories stay united under Cameron or Osborne but disunited the unattractively vain Boris Johnson and a Labour victory becomes extremely likely.

Even IDS, William Hague and Michael Foot led in a few polls and this poll shows a tie, not a Labour lead
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Use own equipment? Yes
    Decide when and how much to work? Yes

It's pretty clear they are self employed.

Not only that, but regulation is meant to protect consumers, not vested interests. Uber - and Lyft and others - are undeniably good for consumers.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

So the fightback has begun! Labour now level pegging. This'll either be a wake up call or the start of a countdown to a repeat of '97.

Relying on Corbyn being unelectable is all very well if the Tories stay united under Cameron or Osborne but disunited the unattractively vain Boris Johnson and a Labour victory becomes extremely likely.

Just feels like the govts honeymoon is over and the rollercoaster of mid term expectations has begun.

I am not sure that I agree on BoJo vs. Corbyn, but do think if Labour were to find a popular leader it could be competitive.
    OR it's a case that the people are showing their disdain of the FUD REMAIN EU referendum campaign
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

My assessment is this:

Winning Ohio, greater chance that Trump enemies surrender.

Losing Ohio, greater chance that Trump enemies score pyrrhic victory at convention.

Either way the chances of Trump losing Ohio are now close to 100%.
    After last Saturday I gave Trump only a 33% to be the GOP nominee, with Cruz at 33% and Person X at the convention also 33%, I haven't revised it since and I don't expect it to revise it until I see signs of capitulation from the anti-Trump people.

The longer this goes on the greater the short and long term damage for the Republicans.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Such as?
    Providing your own tools. Freedom to turn down work. Freedom to choose your customer. Accepting business risk. I am sure there are others but it's a long time since I did it for real.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Toms said:

Wanderer said:

Nice prize

It'll be mine.*

* With a low probability.
    I like your entry.
  • Options
    Quinnipiac Ohio

GOP
    Trump 38
    Kasich 38
    Cruz 16
    Rubio 3

Dems
    Clinton 51
    Sanders 46
  • Options
    A poll where Jeremy Corbyn's party could be the most popular one in the UK!
    Good think polls are gack.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

perdix said:

Roger said:

Completely OT. I had reason to go to the National Media Museum in Bradford. For anyone living nearby I can really recommend it. It's supposed to be moving to the V&A which seems a shame for Bradford though several of the great and the good are trying to keep it where it is.

Bradford is not what I expected at all. A well laid out City Centre not unlike Liverpool with several galleries cafes restaurants and theaters. Interesting also the huge density of Muslims. Far greater than anywhere else I've been to in the UK. Generally a very colourful place

Shah Jehan Mosque in Woking was opened to the public in Oct or Nov 1889 and was apparently the first purpose-built mosque in the country. It is a prominent landmark which can be seen as you approach Woking from the east by train.
    Yep, Woking had the first purpose-built, but most sources give Liverpool the tip. It was in use before its official opening.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    PPP

N Carolina

GOP
    Trump 44
    Cruz 33
    Kasich 11
    Rubio 7

Dems
    Clinton 56
    Sanders 37

Illinois Dems
    Clinton 48
    Sanders 45

Missouri Dems
    Sanders 47
    Clinton 46

• Options
    SMukesh said:

Blue on blue having an effect?

ICM poll not worthy of own thread!!!

It clearly is having an effect and I dare say the Conservatives will wake up to it ... OK, I don't know when.

If we don't see some Labour leads between now and the referendum it would be quite odd. More depends on what happens after the referendum though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    There's no hypocrite like a Unionist Brexiteer hypocrite.

https://twitter.com/milne25/status/709462350584217601

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

perdix said:

Roger said:

Yep, Woking had the first purpose-built, but most sources give Liverpool the tip. It was in use before its official opening.
    Isn't the Quilliam organisation named after the founder of the first UK mosque in Liverpool?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2016
    perdix said:

Roger said:

I live a mile up the road from the National media museam,Roger is welcome to move here so we can start readdressing the white flight problem.

What about it roger ?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

perdix said:

Roger said:

Isn't the Quilliam organisation named after the founder of the first UK mosque in Liverpool?
    Correct, Liverpool-born William Henry (Abdullah) Quilliam.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    And in today's tale of happy integration into Europe....

A 16-year-old refugee is accused of luring a young Austrian woman into a house, forcing her into a basement and attempting to rape her.

The Libyan teenager is being held by police after the 18-year-old woman was rescued from a cellar in Vienna.

A second, older woman, 20, managed to tear herself away from her attacker on Saturday and alerted police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3491793/Libyan-migrant-16-forced-young-Austrian-woman-basement-tried-rape-her.html
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ouch

James Worron
    A party that's divided on Europe vs one divided on hating Jews isn't really a contest.

Stupidest comment of the day
    It does feel like some nasty comments/individuals are being used to paint the party as racist.

Not nice when that happens is it?
    No it isn't and it's invariably from people who have pretty suspect views themselves. I don't want to get into it.
    You have done the same thing with the Leave campaign on several occasions.
    One of which being this morning I seem to recall.
  • Options

And in today's tale of happy integration into Europe....

A 16-year-old refugee is accused of luring a young Austrian woman into a house, forcing her into a basement and attempting to rape her.

The Libyan teenager is being held by police after the 18-year-old woman was rescued from a cellar in Vienna.

A second, older woman, 20, managed to tear herself away from her attacker on Saturday and alerted police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3491793/Libyan-migrant-16-forced-young-Austrian-woman-basement-tried-rape-her.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULx9k2QkL94
  • Options
    O/T This is appearing on my Facebook timeline this evening.
    Is it a hoax?
    "Nicky Morgan, (Secretary of State for Education) will be appearing on Question Time this week. I hope and pray that someone will ask her to explain the difference between a subordinating conjunction and a coordinating conjunction to a ten year old child of lower than average ability. Secondly, can she explain why they even need to know? Finally, can she pass them a tissue and reassure them that they aren't 'rubbish' just because they don't understand this irrelevant nonsense. I'm desperate to know her answers."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Is it a hoax?
    "Nicky Morgan, (Secretary of State for Education) will be appearing on Question Time this week. I hope and pray that someone will ask her to explain the difference between a subordinating conjunction and a coordinating conjunction to a ten year old child of lower than average ability. Secondly, can she explain why they even need to know? Finally, can she pass them a tissue and reassure them that they aren't 'rubbish' just because they don't understand this irrelevant nonsense. I'm desperate to know her answers."

Heaven forbid they might actually learn something at school.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Is it a hoax?

I think this was raised before and it is but isn't true. I think it is something like kids should be learning this stuff, but not in that form i.e. it is more learning examples, learning what words like "because" and "although" mean and how we use them in a sentence compared to using "but" in a sentence, rather than today Johnny we are going to teach you what a subordinating conjunction is....

Basically somebody has taken the dry technical official documents and said look look the evil education minister wants us to teach primary school kids these complex terms, rather than wants kids to know how to correctly form common sentences that include "because" or "but" in them.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is it a hoax?

They shouldn't worry, Trump will end common core.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

There's no hypocrite like a Unionist Brexiteer hypocrite.

https://twitter.com/milne25/status/709462350584217601

There ain't no party like an S-Club party.
  • Options

Is it a hoax?

I think this was raised before and it is but isn't true. I think it is something like kids should be learning this stuff, but not in that form i.e. it is more learning examples, learning what words like "because" and "although" mean and how we use them in a sentence compared to using "but" in a sentence, rather than today Johnny we are going to teach you what a subordinating conjunction is....

Basically somebody has taken the dry technical official documents and said look look the evil education minister wants us to teach primary school kids these complex terms, rather than wants kids to know how to correctly form common sentences that include because or but in them.
    I can guarantee nobody expects a ten year old to answer that, nor is there a ten year old in the country being taught that.
  • Options

Is it a hoax?

Basically somebody has taken the dry technical official documents and said look look the evil education minister wants us to teach primary school kids these complex terms, rather than wants kids to know how to correctly form common sentences that include "because" or "but" in them.
    Ah, thank you. That makes sense.
  • Options
    I've put £1 in Shadsy's Christmas fund for "significant risks". Nothing else looked even remotely value.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Is it a hoax?

I believe (and I might be wrong) that kids at that level aren't even taught explicitly the formal definitions of noun, verb, adjective, etc etc etc are, let alone fancier terms. That comes later on.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    From BBC live feed of the footy...
    Stephen Rutter: The only chance of seeing Danny Drinkwater at Euro 2016 is if the camera cuts to Welbeck with a bottle on the bench
  • Options

Is it a hoax?

I believe (and I might be wrong) that kids at that level aren't even taught explicitly the formal definitions of noun, verb, adjective, etc etc etc are, let alone fancier terms. That comes later on.
    I'm lucky that I don't have kids, so have no direct experience of the current educational system.
  • Options
    Paddy Power have Sanders in Missouri @ 2
  • Options
    And this weeks lenient sentence award goes to...

Charles Durkin, 25, was serving an eight-year sentence for robbing a Kensington jewellers, but was allowed out of Ford Open prison on the pretext of “maintaining family ties”.
    He used his freedom on three occasions to meet up with seven other gang members, who carried out a four-month cash in transit robbery campaign in London and Bournemouth.

Durkin, who had previous convictions for a total of 28 crimes between 2004 and 2011, was sentenced to three years and four months in prison.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12193544/Smash-and-grab-robber-joined-gang-in-200000-crime-spree-while-on-day-release-from-prison.html
  • Options
    come on Andros... remember your old club....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Is it a hoax?

Well, if you don't understand the mechanics of your own language, you are going to find it harder to learn a foreign language and you are going to speak and write your own language worse than you might otherwise. Clearly, clarity of thought, clarity of expression and eloquence are no longer needed or thought part of the arsenal of the educated man or woman.

Learning to parse sentences and paragraphs is also a useful skill if you want to become a lawyer since understanding what a particular phrase or word adds to the meaning of a sentence and what a sentence might mean were that phrase absent is one of the techniques lawyers use in their work.

Still, these are - obviously - irrelevant nonsenses.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, Uber in London is just a mini-cab company with a nice app. Uber in othe parts of the world is more ethically dubious.

AirBnB are full on scumbags.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, Uber in London is just a mini-cab company with a nice app. Uber in othe parts of the world is more ethically dubious.

Yes, how utterly despicable to help people rent out their homes.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Bad experience with AirBnB?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,944

perdix said:

Roger said:

I live a mile up the road from the National media museam,Roger is welcome to move here so we can start readdressing the white flight problem.

What about it roger ?
    Well I hope you've visited it many times. It's worth the effort. It'll be a real shame if they move the photographic part to London which needs another gallery like a hole in the head. And the centre of Bradford seems like it's been well planned. The fountains are the same as the new ones in Nice
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

AirBnB is reliant on facilitating breaking the law to make their living, they encourage it and try to cover up the evidence.

Only a fraction of their business is made from their advertisment-style renting out a room to adventurous travellers. The vast majority of their business comes from whole property lets, mostly from people breaking their lease or zoning laws or both. The state of the liability insurance they offer is also incredibly dubious.

EDIT: I work at the intersection of the tech and travel industry so this isn't some techno-luddite view.
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Bad experience with AirBnB?
    I don;t use them, the litany of complaints from people who have had Professional AirBnB hosts but up multiple properties in a single apartment block to effectively turn it into an illegal hotel put me right off.
  • Options

Paddy Power have Sanders in Missouri @ 2

Alot of passion in Bernie, Trump heck even Ted Cruz.

Most Hillary fans seem to give her the ringing endorsement of "I'm supporting her even though she's not quite as good as Obama".
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Todays ICM JICIPM?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    My prediction: Lab 40.26%, Con 38.08%, UKIP 10.12%, Green 5.11%, LD 5.03%. Overall winner: Conservative.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Alistair said:

I don;t use them, the litany of complaints from people who have had Professional AirBnB hosts but up multiple properties in a single apartment block to effectively turn it into an illegal hotel put me right off.

Interesting. I have used AirBnB quite a lot recently and it has always been a genuine host in the home they actually reside in, and been a very positive experience...perhaps because that is what I was looking for rather than a complete apartment. If they are paying all the tax on that income I obviously have no idea.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

AirBnB is reliant on facilitating breaking the law to make their living, they encourage it and try to cover up the evidence.

Only a fraction of their business is made from their advertisment-style renting out a room to adventurous travellers. The vast majority of their business comes from whole property lets, mostly from people breaking their lease or zoning laws or both. The state of the liability insurance they offer is also incredibly dubious.

EDIT: I work at the intersection of the tech and travel industry so this isn't some techno-luddite view.
    Willing buyer, willing seller. The fundamental principle of the capitalist system.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Willing buyer, willing seller. The fundamental principle of the capitalist system.

Would people rent AirBnB Properties if they knew they were being rented illegally and that the landlord may not have public liability insurance?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Interesting. I have used AirBnB quite a lot recently and it has always been a genuine host in the home they actually reside in, and been a very positive experience...perhaps because that is what I was looking for rather than a complete apartment. If they are paying all the tax on that income I obviously have no idea.
    If AirBnB limited themselves to genuine host-in-home rentals I'd applaud what they are doing but that doesn't get them the revenue for a multi-billion dollar valuation in the startup scene.

Facilitating professional-scale (if not professionally run) property companies does.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed.

Tech is helping the consumer overcome the (often restrictive) regulation that vested interests have encouraged lawmakers to pass since WW2.
  • Options

Is it a hoax?

Basically somebody has taken the dry technical official documents and said look look the evil education minister wants us to teach primary school kids these complex terms, rather than wants kids to know how to correctly form common sentences that include because or but in them.
    I can guarantee nobody expects a ten year old to answer that, nor is there a ten year old in the country being taught that.
    It would be nice if they taught them that some words start with capital letters.
  • Options
    Looks like there is a poll by ORB which has Leave ahead

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/709496233090551808
  • Options

Is it a hoax?

It would be nice if they taught them that some words start with capital letters.
    If they want to get a job in marketing these days, it's best that they have no idea that capital letters even exist.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

perdix said:

Roger said:

What about it roger ?
    Well I hope you've visited it many times. It's worth the effort. It'll be a real shame if they move the photographic part to London which needs another gallery like a hole in the head. And the centre of Bradford seems like it's been well planned. The fountains are the same as the new ones in Nice
    One of the sons of bradford joins the protest.

David Hockney and Mike Leigh back Bradford photography protest

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/06/bradford-photography-collection-national-media-museum-letter
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

Is it a hoax?

And that sentences don't all end in LOL.

(Or start with 'and' - LOL)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If AirBnB limited themselves to genuine host-in-home rentals I'd applaud what they are doing but that doesn't get them the revenue for a multi-billion dollar valuation in the startup scene.

Facilitating professional-scale (if not professionally run) property companies does.
    I've rented whole properties via AirBnB and have had very good experiences. YMMV I guess.
  • Options
    The Brexit campaign is currently more likely to win this June's EU referendum because its supporters are more motivated, an exclusive poll for The Daily Telegraph which has been analysed by Sir Lynton Crosby reveals today.

In his new column for this newspaper, the electoral strategist who helped secure David Cameron's shock win last year, says that whichever campaign motivates people to turn out and vote is likely to win......

.....Today's ORB poll finds that without taking into account people’s likelihood to vote, the campaigns are virtually tied, with remain on 47 per cent and leave on 48 per cent.
    However, when likelihood to vote is taken into account, the leave campaign would win on 52 per cent of the vote, with remain trailing on 44 per cent.

It also reveals that one third of undecided voters (32 per cent) say their “biggest hesitation” in backing the remain campaign is the “potential for uncontrolled or increased immigration” in the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12193963/EU-referendum-Exclusive-Telegraph-poll-says-Leave-campaign-most-likely-to-win-in-June.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926

Is it a hoax?

And that sentences don't all end in LOL.

(Or start with 'and' - LOL)
    LOL.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Would people rent AirBnB Properties if they knew they were being rented illegally and that the landlord may not have public liability insurance?
    I have not rented through AirBnB but have a friend who rents out part of his property and is generally very pleased. It is an architectural gem so tends to attract people interested in the architecture.

What I would be concerned about is (a) getting what is promised; (b) the flat is safe i.e. no dodgy boilers, fire hazards etc. I quite like hotels and don't really want the bother of having to keep house in any way when on holiday - I do quite enough of that at home - but each to their own.

I would not rent out my own home to strangers.

Still, this seems to me to be a trivial issue for London. Housing for Londoners is of far more importance than the choice of accommodation available to tourists.

• Options

The Brexit campaign is currently more likely to win this June's EU referendum because its supporters are more motivated, an exclusive poll for The Daily Telegraph which has been analysed by Sir Lynton Crosby reveals today.

In his new column for this newspaper, the electoral strategist who helped secure David Cameron's shock win last year, says that whichever campaign motivates people to turn out and vote is likely to win......

.....Today's ORB poll finds that without taking into account people’s likelihood to vote, the campaigns are virtually tied, with remain on 47 per cent and leave on 48 per cent.
    However, when likelihood to vote is taken into account, the leave campaign would win on 52 per cent of the vote, with remain trailing on 44 per cent.

It also reveals that one third of undecided voters (32 per cent) say their “biggest hesitation” in backing the remain campaign is the “potential for uncontrolled or increased immigration” in the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12193963/EU-referendum-Exclusive-Telegraph-poll-says-Leave-campaign-most-likely-to-win-in-June.html

Nothing that we don't know already.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

From BBC live feed of the footy...

Stephen Rutter: The only chance of seeing Danny Drinkwater at Euro 2016 is if the camera cuts to Welbeck with a bottle on the bench
    Drinkwater and Mark Noble are both much better than Jordan Henderson
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548
    rcs1000 said:

Is it a hoax?

If they want to get a job in marketing these days, it's best that they have no idea that capital letters even exist.
    Apart from in the middle of company names for some reason, especially technology companies.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Uber has changed - for the better - more lives than any politicians ves.
    I've got no problem with different fare limits and ratios. sponsibilities.
    I believe that is an issue in the US, where Uber provides the insurance. In the UK, it is the responsibility of the driver to get their own commercial insurance. Indeed, I've g on a Friday night).

There are also basic regulations to curb abuses and market failures, and to make sure people are appropriately liable for their business. It is not anti-business to make sure reasonable regulatioms are enforced. We're not the USA quite yet. I find it odd that some people are more disgusted by arguments to enforce basic regulations than, say, a graduate going hungry because he hasn't been able to find a job right away.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed.

Tech is helping the consumer overcome the (often restrictive) regulation that vested interests have encouraged lawmakers to pass since WW2.
    Don't you think that tech companies are themselves turning into vested interests seeking to get laws passed to help them at the expense of others?

Tech is useful but tech companies - whatever PR guff they come out with - are not altruistic charities. They are in it for themselves and only themselves.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I have not rented through AirBnB but have a friend who rents out part of his property and is generally very pleased. It is an architectural gem so tends to attract people interested in the architecture.

What I would be concerned about is (a) getting what is promised; (b) the flat is safe i.e. no dodgy boilers, fire hazards etc. I quite like hotels and don't really want the bother of having to keep house in any way when on holiday - I do quite enough of that at home - but each to their own.

Still, this seems to me to be a trivial issue for London. Housing for Londoners is of far more importance than the choice of accommodation available to tourists.

I have a feeling some of these things will end in tears, AirBnB, Uber, peer lending.

Or maybe I'm just old.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB
    ORB online reporting that LEAVE 8% ahead when likelihood to vote taken into account. 1% when it isn't
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096
    Speedy said:

"It also reveals that one third of undecided voters (32 per cent) say their “biggest hesitation” in backing the remain campaign is the “potential for uncontrolled or increased immigration” in the EU."

Well I never
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sky: NC authorities investigating whether "Trump incited a riot"....

Haven't heard anything in North Carolina.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I have a feeling some of these things will end in tears, AirBnB, Uber, peer lending.

Or maybe I'm just old.
    Peer to peer lending has already been warned about. It is likely that any new development will lead to good and bad stuff happening. New ways of using assets and using technology strikes me, on the whole, as a good thing. It's the whole moral self-righteous guff that goes with it that is so nauseating, as well as the hypocrisy. Tech barons are as good at sweating their assets, whether this be people, techie stuff or consumers' data as any red-in-tooth-and-claw 19th century railway baron.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Yet the average vote here is 58-42 in favour of REMAIN isn't it?

And since REMAIN cannot do anything about immigration (not that it is likely that LEAVE could - but they can try) that could be another 5% onto LEAVE.
  • Options
    Daniel HannanVerified account
    @DanHannanMEP Daniel Hannan Retweeted Ryan Coetzee
    Ladies and gentlemen, the chief strategist at the remain campaign...

Ryan Coetzee @RyanCoetzee
    @DanHannanMEP Your tweet is racist, bluntly. And I am not some sort of #mustfall lefty, Dan. But it really is.

All because of this tweet ?

@DanHannanMEP
    Today is #CommonwealthDay - a day to celebrate the family of English-speaking nations who have fought together for freedom
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Is it a hoax?

They shouldn't worry, Trump will end common core.
    Its amazing to think how basic maths methods could engender such a political divide as is happening in the US right now. I never thought I would see that day for sure! The example of how to do 43 -13 using the common core method is such absolute baloney it beggars belief.
  • Options

Looks like there is a poll by ORB which has Leave ahead

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/709496233090551808

Guess which paper won't be shown on Sky and BBC press review - starting now.
  • Options

@DanHannanMEP Your tweet is racist, bluntly. And I am not some sort of #mustfall lefty, Dan. But it really is.

@DanHannanMEP
    Today is #CommonwealthDay - a day to celebrate the family of English-speaking nations who have fought together for freedom

Is India an English-speaking nation?
    Never mind, if someone calls it racist then PB Comments will be for it
  • Options
    I'm looking at the 538 delegate tracker to see how losing Ohio impacts Trump.

To make up for the shortfall of the 66 Ohio delegates, Trump has to get more than 60% in N.Carolina + all of N.Mariana Islands delegates+ all of Missouri delegates+ all of Illinois delegates. An impossible task.

At present course he is going to come tomorrow out around 50 delegates short and he only has a 16 delegate margin.

So he will start to fall behind his targets for 1237 delegates, and that will only grow for the next month since he won't win any delegates from Utah, Colorado and N.Dakota.
    By April 16th Trump will be around 60 delegates short of his targets for a majority, he will need to make up that difference by winning almost all congressional districts in N.Y and Pennsylvania.

Failing that, his next chance will the last primary on June 7th in California, last poll there has Trump leading by 16:

http://capoliticalreviewcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/16-CA-GOP-Presidential-Primary-Poll-March.pdf

Trump will face a difficult month from now till April 19th when N.Y. votes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB
    ORB online reporting that LEAVE 8% ahead when likelihood to vote taken into account. 1% when it isn't

That's what happens when you run a negative campaign based on fear. (Personally I still haven't decided which way to vote).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    As one of the few on here who has predicted a Leave win, I reckon Lynton Crosby is spot on. It's what I've thought for ages: Leavers are far more motivated to go out and vote. No-one outside the LibDems is positively fond of the EU. At least six or seven million hate it.
  • Options
    ORB: with likelihood to vote it's 46% Remain, 54% Leave.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Sky: NC authorities investigating whether "Trump incited a riot"....

Haven't heard anything in North Carolina.
    Trump's making sure that won't fly though. Just in case...

First the Tampa message, now this. No coincidence.
    https://twitter.com/SaraGoldenberg/status/709508017134374913
  • Options
    EPG said:

@DanHannanMEP

Is India an English-speaking nation?
    Never mind, if someone calls it racist then PB Comments will be for it
    Dearie me!
  • Options
    isam said:

Speedy said:

"It also reveals that one third of undecided voters (32 per cent) say their “biggest hesitation” in backing the remain campaign is the “potential for uncontrolled or increased immigration” in the EU."

Well I never
    Leave should commission a poll of migrants in Germany and ask how many would come to the UK if they could. Even if its only 10%, that would be a hundred thousand or so and get some headlines. Remain have played dirty as hell, so Leave should not have any qualms.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Anglophobia reemerging after very long dormancy in US politics.
This discussion has been closed.