Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on when Osborne ceases to be Chancellor

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Greens beat Merkel in Baden Wuerttemberg
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    malcolmg said:

Good to see Scotland playing in BT shirts, Better Together after all.

Well, quite. Thanks, Scotland!
    More like B*gger Tories I think
    Well, whatever your tastes run to Malc...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Just coming through...

Greens ahead in Baden-Wurttemburg 32-27.5 over CDU.

In Saxony CDU top but AfD a strong second.

SPD ahead in Rheinland-Pfalz.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

kle4 said:

Justice secretary Michael Gove and the German-born Labour MP Gisela Stuart have been named as joint heads of the Vote Leave campaign to take Britain out of the EU, with Boris Johnson taking a key role.
    John Longworth, the former head of the British Chambers of Commerce, will also join the campaign committee having recently been forced out of his old job for expressing support for a Brexit.

. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/57b74004-e91d-11e5-bb79-2303682345c8.html#ixzz42nmepqxF

Boris escaping blame if leave lose as he is not the 'head' of the campaign? Wily fellow.
    But doesn't it also mean that Gove is in the box seat to become next Tory leader should LEAVE win?
    I doubt it - Gove doesn't have the personal appeal Boris has even if he leads leave to victory - Boris could probably satisfy many Remainer Tories even if the campaign has stirred up antipathy between Cameroons and others. Though obviously I speak only as an outsider.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Really entertaining match, final score Scotland 29-18 France – does England win 6 Nations?
  • Options
    SPD lead CDU 37.5-32.5 in Rheinland-Pfalz.

CDU lead AfD 29-23 in Saxony.
  • Options
    SPD win Rheinland Pfalz, CDU second but well down on last time, AfD third
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. StClare, yes. Scotland also move up to third in the table.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2016
    Huckabee sounds the call...

"People are angry. I think we're seeing nothing less than the overthrow of our government… It's a peaceful overthrow so far. We're going to do it by ballots, not bullets, thank God, but this is a revolution. The people are that upset with the ruling class and frankly, they ought to be."

Huckabee added that he felt "nothing would be better for this country than to have an utter disruption of the ruling class in Washington."

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/huckabee-trump-peaceful-overthrow/2016/03/12/id/718788/#ixzz42nruHTuw
  • Options
    CDU win Sachsen Anhalt AfD second.

Huge shift
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Trump's plane is just taxiing into position - I'm watching on YouTube and the comments are brilliant.

I REALLY want Trump to win. Not just as a joke. I think he'd be a fairly good president. Better than Obama at foreign policy. And a kick up the arse for western establishments worldwide. Ours included.

He won't win, but we can dream.
    Rod Crosby of this Parish, who unlike certain others I could mention *cough*, usually makes the right call, gives Trump a 75% chance of becoming the next POTUS.
    Have Crosby and JackW disagreed so fervently before and if so who was right? Both are usually very accurate but are completely at odds now.
    If The Donald wins the nomination then I think he will knock strips off Hilary or Bernie and become POTUS, making JackW sad, and looking at his bets.
    Crosby calls it right after strong contrarian analysis. JackW gets it right speaking out of his ARSE. I'm with Crosby on this - Trump absolutely shreds Hillary in an all out war. It will be nasty. [And I am in the anyone but Trump camp].
    The Republican Party haven't had a clue how to fight Trump. I have no confidence the Democrats have any better ideas.

That said, come November it will be Ovaries trumps Trump.
    Quite. Hillary is a bloody awful candidate but Trump's ratings are not only poor with non-whites but also with women - and I suspect that up against Hillary, they'll get worse because he'll say something/s too sexist and personal against her that will turn off floating voters, and women in particular, in droves.

I've always had a scepticism of Rod's methods because they're a bit deterministic and I think on this occasion, while it should be the GOP's year - and would be with the right candidate - they'll miss out because of who's on their ticket. 2020 is likely to be a foregone conclusion though.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

malcolmg said:

Good to see Scotland playing in BT shirts, Better Together after all.

Well, quite. Thanks, Scotland!
    More like B*gger Tories I think
    Well, whatever your tastes run to Malc...
    For me it was metaphorical for sure
  • Options
    In Baden-Wurttemburg the big winners are the Greens and AfD - big losers are CDU and SPD both down more than 10%.

In Rheinland Greens are the big losers with SPD holding up well, small loss for CDU and a big jump for AfD.

In Saxony AfD are the huge winners - biggest losers are the SPD but both Linke and CDU losing ground as well.

Very early thoughts - a real mixed bag.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IainMcGill: Is it spelt hibsed or hibs'd (asking for a friend)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

It's time to open our eyes to what's REALLY going on in this country...

...LEAVE are headed for a pounding at the ballot box.

My only fear is that there could be an army of elderly xenophobic voters in small towns and villages who are going under the radar at the moment but end up marching to the voting booths in numbers......

I'm torn between seeing this country as the progressive one that embraced Danny Boyle's vision of the Olympics and another which is altogether darker.
    Norway has twice voted against EU membership. That doesn't make Norway a dark, xenophobic country.
    It's dark in the winter.
    The two countries in Europe where I gave seen the most extensive casual blatant xenophobia and racism are France and Holland. Well into the nineties if was common in offices and in the street to see excruciating examples of overtly offensive behaviour particularly towards non whites. Not the idiotic metropolitan PC claims of racism but outright discrimination and verbal attacks.

• Options

On topic (ish), I was talking to a Tory MP on Friday. From what he said, Osborne would be unlikely to make it to the final two now, never mind after a bad budget or a Leave vote. He might have been trying to gain support among his colleagues but to no great effect.

Is it Osborne's perceived unelectability with voters or his lack of Conservative policies or his treatment of other MPs or.....
    I didn't get too much into that sort of detail as to why (other things to discuss) but thought it was a snippet worth passing on all the same.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Love that Scotland helped England win the Championship. Lols.
  • Options
    Merkel in trouble on these results.

Lost 2 regions and needs to form coalition with AfD in third.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LachlanBruce: Scotland win, Hibs lose. Could this day be any better?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Didn't Trump do quite well in Nevada with Hispanics?
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Trump's plane is just taxiing into position - I'm watching on YouTube and the comments are brilliant.

I REALLY want Trump to win. Not just as a joke. I think he'd be a fairly good president. Better than Obama at foreign policy. And a kick up the arse for western establishments worldwide. Ours included.

Rod Crosby of this Parish, who unlike certain others I could mention *cough*, usually makes the right call, gives Trump a 75% chance of becoming the next POTUS.
    Have Crosby and JackW disagreed so fervently before and if so who was right? Both are usually very accurate but are completely at odds now.
    If The Donald wins the nomination then I think he will knock strips off Hilary or Bernie and become POTUS, making JackW sad, and looking at his bets.
    Crosby calls it right after strong contrarian analysis. JackW gets it right speaking out of his ARSE. I'm with Crosby on this - Trump absolutely shreds Hillary in an all out war. It will be nasty. [And I am in the anyone but Trump camp].
    Trump will lose due to getting slaughtered in Hispanic and educated white segments.
    I know an amazingly large number of educated whites who are all in for Trump. Those who are against him are already overwhelmingly traditional Dem voters.

I am not sure what will happen with the Hispanics vote - if they have normal turnout, I wonder whether the fall off from the Romney Hispanic vote will be significant enough to impact the result given that Trump will probably win back more than the 1 million white GOP votes who sat out Romney. If Trump truly galvanizes a massive, monolithic Hispanic vote, then he might be in trouble. But there is a long while between now and the GE for Trump to pour oil on troubled waters once the nomination is in the bag.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

On topic (ish), I was talking to a Tory MP on Friday. From what he said, Osborne would be unlikely to make it to the final two now, never mind after a bad budget or a Leave vote. He might have been trying to gain support among his colleagues but to no great effect.

Which means it is Boris Johnson versus A N Other.

But who?
    That was our conclusion - followed by the next one that Boris could well be PM by Christmas.

An awful lot depends on when the vacancy is. If it's this year then we're looking at current cabinet ministers only, plus Boris. That's not a great set of options. If it's 2019 then there's time for at least one big reshuffle to bring in new talent.
  • Options

Quite. Hillary is a bloody awful candidate but Trump's ratings are not only poor with non-whites but also with women - and I suspect that up against Hillary, they'll get worse because he'll say something/s too sexist and personal against her that will turn off floating voters, and women in particular, in droves.

I've always had a scepticism of Rod's methods because they're a bit deterministic and I think on this occasion, while it should be the GOP's year - and would be with the right candidate - they'll miss out because of who's on their ticket. 2020 is likely to be a foregone conclusion though.

I seem to be alone on here in rating HRC as a decent candidate and more than a match for the populist. The problem for Trump will be the specifics not the generalities - once he is forced to put meat on the bones of his proposals, the Democrats will tear him and them apart.

Thoughtful Republicans might consider that an HRC Presidency, hampered as it will be by GOP control of the Senate and the House, will be the necessary pre-cursor for the election of a centrist Republican in 2020.

IF Trump wins, my view is the 2018 midterms will be catastrophic for the GOP and in 2020 they could finish up completely shut out.

• Options
    Your verdict for Merkel so far?

Huge shift

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2016
    SeanT said:

Really entertaining match, final score Scotland 29-18 France – does England win 6 Nations?

YEP.

Eddie Jones wins his first Championship with a game to spare. Class.

This England team is the first to really give me the shivers since, probably, Wilko and Johnson et al. From Itoje to Vunipola to Farrell it either oozes class or competence. And, finally, we have a good coach.

I can genuinely see England winning the next World Cup. And I haven't felt that since 2002.
    Don't forget Manu Tuilagi.

I just looked up and Billy Vunipola is only 23 and his brother 25.....As the line out of the inbetweeners goes...

You're 17?!
    Yeah, I just look older.
    There's looking older and then there's that! You look about 30!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,234

Justice secretary Michael Gove and the German-born Labour MP Gisela Stuart have been named as joint heads of the Vote Leave campaign to take Britain out of the EU, with Boris Johnson taking a key role.
    John Longworth, the former head of the British Chambers of Commerce, will also join the campaign committee having recently been forced out of his old job for expressing support for a Brexit.

. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/57b74004-e91d-11e5-bb79-2303682345c8.html#ixzz42nmepqxF

It looks as though the BCC might have been correct to suspend Longworth ...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Huckabee sounds the call...

"People are angry. I think we're seeing nothing less than the overthrow of our government… It's a peaceful overthrow so far. We're going to do it by ballots, not bullets, thank God, but this is a revolution. The people are that upset with the ruling class and frankly, they ought to be."

Huckabee added that he felt "nothing would be better for this country than to have an utter disruption of the ruling class in Washington."

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/huckabee-trump-peaceful-overthrow/2016/03/12/id/718788/#ixzz42nruHTuw

People have a really intense desire to see political events as revolutionary, without the bother of actually being revolutionary, for it so rarely merits the term. You see it all the time with the less restrained Kippers, Corbynistas and other aligned and non-aligned folks, convinced their candidates are entirely unlike anyone else in politics, that the very nature of politics will change with their lot in charge. Usually the differences are matters of degree, but people just love to think it is more than that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

YEP.

Eddie Jones wins his first Championship with a game to spare. Class.

This England team is the first to really give me the shivers since, probably, Wilko and Johnson et al. From Itoje to Vunipola to Farrell it either oozes class or competence. And, finally, we have a good coach.

I can genuinely see England winning the next World Cup. And I haven't felt that since 2002.

What have we seen that will trouble the Australians and South Africans, let alone the Kiwis, next time ? It's in Japan next time so will that suit the Northern Hemisphere teams any more than England did last year ?

• Options

Of course not. Still waiting to see when they suspend the two regional directors who gave been only campaigning for Remain.
  • Options

Your verdict for Merkel so far?

Huge shift

In trouble, these are not good results for her particularly the AfD breakthrough, they are in double figues in every region.
  • Options
    Hmmm

Osborne: government will stop Turks moving to UK if it joins EU http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4712119.ece
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268

Hmmm

Osborne: government will stop Turks moving to UK if it joins EU http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4712119.ece

No chance of this happening. Free movement is non-negotiable within EU.
  • Options

In trouble, these are not good results for her particularly the AfD breakthrough, they are in double figures in every region.

The worst drop is in Baden - the fall in CDU support in the other two doesn't seem to be that great. The AfD is taking more from the SDP/Greens/Linke in other areas.

FDP look like clawing their way back into all three regional parliaments. IF the FDP can gety above 5% in the national election it will give Merkel another option if the CDU and SDP both lose ground.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Didn't Trump do quite well in Nevada with Hispanics?

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Trump will lose due to getting slaughtered in Hispanic and educated white segments.
    I know an amazingly large number of educated whites who are all in for Trump. Those who are against him are already overwhelmingly traditional Dem voters.

I am not sure what will happen with the Hispanics vote - if they have normal turnout, I wonder whether the fall off from the Romney Hispanic vote will be significant enough to impact the result given that Trump will probably win back more than the 1 million white GOP votes who sat out Romney. If Trump truly galvanizes a massive, monolithic Hispanic vote, then he might be in trouble. But there is a long while between now and the GE for Trump to pour oil on troubled waters once the nomination is in the bag.
    Yes, but relatively speaking only. He got 45% of those voting for the GOP to Rubio's 28%, but it was not a large sample ...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Hmmm

transition arrangements are however.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Hmmm

The EEA too.

Though the chance of Turkey entering in the near future is zero, and while under Erdogan zero, plus any transitional arrangements would be very prolonged.

Its not going to be an issue for decades, and most likely never.

• Options

Of course not. Still waiting to see when they suspend the two regional directors who gave been only campaigning for Remain.
    Why 'of course not' ?

The BCC organisation as a whole had a position, and he evidently could not abide by that. His comments afterwards, and this new position, highlight this.

The way it was explained on the radio was that the BCC is a federal organisation. Individual groups (e.g. Cornwall) could come campaign for or against in the referendum; but as the groups were split the overall organisation had to maintain a position of neutrality.

That might not be right. But if it is (and no-one on here has said otherwise that I have seen) then he was out of order.
  • Options
    stodge said:

In trouble, these are not good results for her particularly the AfD breakthrough, they are in double figures in every region.

The worst drop is in Baden - the fall in CDU support in the other two doesn't seem to be that great. The AfD is taking more from the SDP/Greens/Linke in other areas.

FDP look like clawing their way back into all three regional parliaments. IF the FDP can gety above 5% in the national election it will give Merkel another option if the CDU and SDP both lose ground.

Yes. AfD support is a bit from everywhere, the high turnout probably suggests they have got non voters to the polling station.

FDP look as if they are coming back to life as they have cleared 5% in all the regions.

Merkel probably worst off on these results, I've just been listening to one of their spin doctors saying it's a debacle for them
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    stodge said:

There's hope for the Lib Dems yet!
  • Options
    ARD reporting that the biggest cohort of AfD support has been people who didn;t vote last time.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    FWIW, I don't think anyone in the current Tory cabinet rank would be anything like as good as Dave has been as Prime Minister.. If Boris gets it, then the party will sink. Its alright been a bit of a buffoon when you don't have any decisions to take.

Of those of Cabinet rank, Teresa May is the steadiest pair of hands by a long way and is probably one of the longest serving Home secretaries in centuries.
  • Options
    Reuters: Dead and wounded after explosion in Ankara park...
  • Options
    Off Topic:

Never mind about the size of the GOP candidates' hands, has anyone else noticed that Rubio has exceptionally LONG EARS?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Only in the sense that CDU-SPD-FDP is another option to CDU-SDP. I don't see any option working at the moment that doesn't involve the two big parties.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    23% for AFD in Sachsen-Anhalt is extraordinary.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Hmmm

The EEA too.

Though the chance of Turkey entering in the near future is zero, and while under Erdogan zero, plus any transitional arrangements would be very prolonged.

Firstly, it's free movement under the EU's own rules. Should the member states agree, then appropriate transitional measures can be put in place to accommodate their concerns.

Second, free movement is a bit hollow if its own. It's a skeleton given flesh (increasingly so) by directives like 2004/38, exploring what, exactly, the treaty entails. This is most observable in the progression from the free movement of workers to the free movement of people, but it will also entail the effect of Article 8 on the movement of their families, and a plethora of non-discrimination argument flowing from a constructive re-interpretation of Article 20 TFEU. As fairly steady as the direction of travel has been on these issues, it's not invioable. Europe is, after all, coming under the most sustained period of inward migration since Maastricht and the addition of Turkey would further that.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Reuters: Dead and wounded after explosion in Ankara park...

Very close to where Mrs J and her family used to live.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

23% for AFD in Sachsen-Anhalt is extraordinary.

certainly but I still think the BW result is the more amazing. The greens have slaughtered the CDU in their heartland.

It's likr George Galloway winning in Surrey.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Osborne sees the danger. Turkey joining is not a popular prospect. His line's worthless in real terms, but some will buy it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Time to send Mama Merkel off to the retirement home.
  • Options
    stodge said:

In Baden-Wurttemburg the big winners are the Greens and AfD - big losers are CDU and SPD both down more than 10%.

In Rheinland Greens are the big losers with SPD holding up well, small loss for CDU and a big jump for AfD.

In Saxony AfD are the huge winners - biggest losers are the SPD but both Linke and CDU losing ground as well.

Very early thoughts - a real mixed bag.

That sounds less mixed and more a consistent story of AfD doing very well. Politicians across West are going to have to accept that the economic divide between left and right small fry to voters when cultural identity is threatened. Whatever economic merits of high levels of migration, political wall will not hold.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

Hmmm

The EEA too.

Will be centuries before they are eligible.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Bad for Rubio, only because it means a collapse in the Trump vote would not secure him victory.
  • Options
    Mr. T, I don't have kids, but I haven't invited millions of people to live here. Or, for that matter, invaded Poland.
  • Options
    Dougie Freedman sacked as Forest's Manager.
  • Options
    AfD are forecast now to come third in BW pushing the SPD in to fourth place.
  • Options

Miss Plato, Osborne sees the danger. Turkey joining is not a popular prospect. His line's worthless in real terms, but some will buy it.

But there's no credible way Turkey will be joining: they've made little progress on the acquis commaitairre (sp), and then they won't get all the other EU members to vote for them to join, especially Greek Cyprus.

Besides all that, Erdogan might not be the person to take Turkey towards fulfilling the acquis commaitairre, even if his recent bust-up with Russia forces him to look westwards once more. His rather fractious relationship with the media (in which he quite resembles his new enemy Putin) isn't exactly in vogue within the EU.

Leave's paranoia about Turkey joining is ridiculous, especially when they have the nerve to call remain Project Fear ...
  • Options
    As a lefty, is gratifying to see Republicans throw away the election by not voting for Rubio, the tailor made candidate for presidential elections.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

FWIW, I don't think anyone in the current Tory cabinet rank would be anything like as good as Dave has been as Prime Minister.. If Boris gets it, then the party will sink. Its alright been a bit of a buffoon when you don't have any decisions to take.

Of those of Cabinet rank, Teresa May is the steadiest pair of hands by a long way and is probably one of the longest serving Home secretaries in centuries.

Given David Cameron's aversion to reshuffles, it would not be surprising if similar claims are made for half the Cabinet and the Junior Minister for Dog Licences.
  • Options

As a lefty, is gratifying to see Republicans throw away the election by not voting for Rubio, the tailor made candidate for presidential elections.

Time to get a new tailor.
  • Options
    Merkel's style and approach has worked well for Germany for many years now, but eventually it would cease to work, even if it is not quite now, strengths becoming weakness. Instinctual search for compromise can become simple indecisiveness, thoughtfulness can become dithering, intended compassion can become over generosity.

If this is to be a serious problem for her, if it is, it has come about pretty quickly in political terms, and of her own making when it seemed she was still mostly unassailable.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    RodCrosby said:
    He's not going to come 3rd.

If you think he will, I'm offering evens.

• Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Off topic as usual: Just had roast lamb dinner, followed by apple crumble and custard, whilst listening to Classic FM. Does life get any better?

Loved that sarcastic quip from George Osborne this morning "we worked hard in government to make sure the Lib Dems could write their memoirs" - lol.
  • Options
    The EU has given free movement to Turkey this week from June. They've already got free trade.

Its membership goodies without membership

But there's no credible way Turkey will be joining: they've made little progress on the acquis commaitairre (sp), and then they won't get all the other EU members to vote for them to join, especially Greek Cyprus.

Besides all that, Erdogan might not be the person to take Turkey towards fulfilling the acquis commaitairre, even if his recent bust-up with Russia forces him to look westwards once more. His rather fractious relationship with the media (in which he quite resembles his new enemy Putin) isn't exactly in vogue within the EU.

Leave's paranoia about Turkey joining is ridiculous, especially when they have the nerve to call remain Project Fear ...
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Leave's paranoia about Turkey joining is ridiculous.
    About joining, yes, though I suppose Osborne and co must be worried it will gain traction nevertheless, hence needing to be shot down.

• Options

The EU has given free movement to Turkey this week from June. They've already got free trade.

Can we have what they are having?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

Hmmm

He should learn from Canute.
    With statements like these the rest of the EU must wonder why they are opposed to us leaving? If we go it lets them integrate quicker and deeper.
  • Options

Given David Cameron's aversion to reshuffles, it would not be surprising if similar claims are made for half the Cabinet and the Junior Minister for Dog Licences.
    Leaving aside party prejudices, May's survival in that post is noteworthy. New Labour had six in thirteen years; May is nearly six years not out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Secretary#Home_Secretaries.2C_2001.E2.80.93present
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

The idea that any Cypriot politician could back Turkey's accession to the EU is beyond ridiculous. And it requires all 28 members of the EU to agree to any country joining.
  • Options
    Lady Bucket, pork for tea? Lamb's nice, though.

Mr. T, force people? I don't force people to read my books.

It's entirely up to PBers if they want to buy The Adventures of Sir Edric (out 31 March). If they choose to willingly depress or anger the only member of the site with his own army of amphibious, land-walking superfish and a space cannon, that's a choice my fellow members are free to make.
  • Options

Leaving aside party prejudices, May's survival in that post is noteworthy. New Labour had six in thirteen years; May is nearly six years not out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Secretary#Home_Secretaries.2C_2001.E2.80.93present
    c.f. Health Secretaries.
  • Options
    CDU politicans laying in to Merkel's immigration policy on TV.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

No, the Schengen zone is to allow Turks to enter it without a visa. Just as we allow Canadians to come to the UK without a visa.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, yes and no. Cameron doesn't like doing reshuffles very often. I'd guess the life expectancy, as it were, of a Cameron minister must be miles better than one of Blair's.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Merkel's style and approach has worked well for Germany for many years now, but eventually it would cease to work, even if it is not quite now, strengths becoming weakness. Instinctual search for compromise can become simple indecisiveness, thoughtfulness can become dithering, intended compassion can become over generosity.

If this is to be a serious problem for her, if it is, it has come about pretty quickly in political terms, and of her own making when it seemed she was still mostly unassailable.

She went beyond compassion, and beyond over-generosity, into outright fecking lunacy. She is - without exaggeration - personally responsible for the deaths of many hundreds of migrants in the Med, who, without her insane promise, would never have risked the journey.

For that alone she must be removed from office, and expelled from the history of the good. She did bad. She did very very very bad.
    A very poor decision indeed. I know we're all armchair generals, but outside of receiving pats on the back for being so wonderful, it was hard to see why she thought it was a good decision. And I say that as someone who was perfectly happy for the UK to take a lot more refugees than we offered to do. But that method was just so wrong.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

No, the Schengen zone is to allow Turks to enter it without a visa. Just as we allow Canadians to come to the UK without a visa.
    Something to note for those thinking of heading to Canada soon...that hasn't been very well advertised. Canada are introducing a similar scheme to the US ESTA scheme (well it was supposed to already be introduced but IT implementation has been screwed up).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The idea that any Cypriot politician could back Turkey's accession to the EU is beyond ridiculous. And it requires all 28 members of the EU to agree to any country joining.
    Why is a President of the EU (with Merkel's backing) discussing it if it is impossible?
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, yes and no. Cameron doesn't like doing reshuffles very often. I'd guess the life expectancy, as it were, of a Cameron minister must be miles better than one of Blair's.

I've just had a check of health secretaries: New Labour had six again, Cameron 2.

And if Cameron wants stability in leadership positions, he's very wise. You cannot learn the job if you're being swapped out every year.
  • Options

IDS has been Work and Pensions Secretary for coming up to six years. Labour had six in the preceding six years.

That's probably an extreme example, and there are no doubt examples of dullards left in place due to Cameron's aversion to reshuffles (and difficulty moving people around fully due to the LD issue), but it does feel like his approach is best.
  • Options

I've just had a check of health secretaries: New Labour had six again, Cameron 2.

And if Cameron wants stability in leadership positions, he's very wise. You cannot learn the job if you're being swapped out every year.
    Sorry Josias, my memory's going. Time for tea.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Love that Scotland helped England win the Championship. Lols.

Mostly by not beating them at the start when you was awful. There is no danger England where ever going to lose to this dreadful France side.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Why is a President of the EU (with Merkel's backing) discussing it if it is impossible?
    The President of the EU can say what he likes.

But a new country requires a new treaty signed by all 28 members of the EU.

And you are woefully ignorant of Cyrpus if you think that any Cypriot government could vote for Turkey's accession while there Turkish troops stationed on the island.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I thought the visa free was to apply to the whole EU not just the Schengen zone. The UK and Ireland are not in Schengen yet there is no requirement for visas to travel here for anyone already legally entitled to be in the EU.

That said I agree that Leave are being stupid trying to big up the Turkey accession stuff. It plays to entirely the wrong kind of message and as an argument is so full of holes that it just makes them look daft.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And you are woefully ignorant of Cyrpus if you think that any Cypriot government could vote for Turkey's accession while there Turkish troops stationed on the island.
    On Daily Poloics last Friday they were discussing Cyprus, and how there is some hope for a deal. Not sure if it was reunification, or maybe some thing less grandiose.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I thought the visa free was to apply to the whole EU not just the Schengen zone. The UK and Ireland are not in Schengen yet there is no requirement for visas to travel here for anyone already legally entitled to be in the EU.

That said I agree that Leave are being stupid trying to big up the Turkey accession stuff. It plays to entirely the wrong kind of message and as an argument is so full of holes that it just makes them look daft.
    Is that because we have an agreement with Schengen? This deal will not apply to the UK.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's more a statement of intent from the President, not a discussion.And an intention not held very widely.
  • Options

It's not paranoia, it's scaremongering.
  • Options

Loved that sarcastic quip from George Osborne this morning "we worked hard in government to make sure the Lib Dems could write their memoirs" - lol.

It won't be too long if the previous thread is correct until Osborne has the opportunity to pen his own litany of self-justification.

• Options

The Home Secretary and indeed the Home Office as a major Gov't Department just seems much lower profile than was previously the case ..... less legislation being enacted and no pesky nuisance factors such as ID cards, etc.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

I'm not that bothered whether he does or he doesn't. Just reporting the polls. His vote seems to be collapsing everywhere [except DC]...
  • Options

If she stays in post until late July, it'll be the longest consecutive term any Home Sec has served since the Great Reform Act.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Home Secretary and indeed the Home Office as a major Gov't Department just seems much lower profile than was previously the case ..... less legislation being enacted and no pesky nuisance factors such as ID cards, etc.
    Don't forget half the department was hived off to Justice.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

I'm not that bothered whether he does or he doesn't. Just reporting the polls. His vote seems to be collapsing everywhere [except DC]...
    People don't back losers.

What's the latest in DC? Has Pulps got any chance of his £13 odd?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    RobD said:

On Daily Poloics last Friday

That when George O is on?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    kle4

You should have stood firm instead of being drawn into the short term mire of pbCOM nastiness. Merkel will be judged by the gentle hand of history where she will be viewed as one of the most enlightened, and compassionate leaders in European history.

I'd rather stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Merkel, rather than the particularly vile, narcissistic seant and his like who couldn't see what is good if it dropped down on them.
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

She went beyond compassion, and beyond over-generosity, into outright fecking lunacy. She is - without exaggeration - personally responsible for the deaths of many hundreds of migrants in the Med, who, without her insane promise, would never have risked the journey.

For that alone she must be removed from office, and expelled from the history of the good. She did bad. She did very very very bad.
    A very poor decision indeed. I know we're all armchair generals, but outside of receiving pats on the back for being so wonderful, it was hard to see why she thought it was a good decision. And I say that as someone who was perfectly happy for the UK to take a lot more refugees than we offered to do. But that method was just so wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Lyin' Ted has been putting out the robocalls saying he's dropping out of the race !
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Lil' Marco went down a storm in DC. Edged Kasich by 50 votes !

No delegates for either Trump or lyin' Ted.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Rubio squeaked it over Kasich, and ironically now has another Rule 40 state.

Almost certainly the last good news of any sort Rubio will receive this cycle...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Lil' Marco went down a storm in DC. Edged Kasich by 50 votes !

No delegates for either Trump or lyin' Ted.
    Oh, that was last night? Didn't have a horse in it.

I see it's 3,000 voters! Florida, I suspect, will have a few more than that...
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Is it any wonder that George Osborne is one of the most disliked people in the Conservative Party?
This discussion has been closed.