Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on when Osborne ceases to be Chancellor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on when Osborne ceases to be Chancellor

On Wednesday George Osborne will deliver his eighth budget and I’m starting to wonder if this will be Osborne’s final budget, for the following reasons,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    Makes sense on a number of levels. Would be surprised however if he went from what's likely to be a very tough budget to the top job though. A swap with Philip Hammond would be more likely and probably more logical.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    ydoethur said:

Makes sense on a number of levels. Would be surprised however if he went from what's likely to be a very tough budget to the top job though. A swap with Philip Hammond would be more likely and probably more logical.

I don't see it. Being Foreign Sec would take Osborne away from Westminster at a crucial point in the run-up to next leader poll.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    It's time to open our eyes to what's REALLY going on in this country...

...LEAVE are headed for a pounding at the ballot box.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Your evidence here is?
    Freggles said:

• Options
    I'm torn on Osborne. He's done some great stuff, but he's shrinking from politically tough decisions now that he'd never shirk in 2010.

He's either gone soft or has to much invested in trying to become Leader. Neither is a good look IMO.

With four yrs to go before the next GE, he's wasting precious time, when he should be reforming. Time for fresh minds here.
  • Options
    Doubt there'll be much of a reconciliation reshuffle after GO was asking MP's if they're voting LEAVE or want to have a career.
    Unless you mean reconciliation in the Tony Soprano sense,
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    What an interesting recruitment device, don't see it often enough IMO

The Spectator internship scheme is now open. It's an aptitude test: please don't send a CV. Details: https://t.co/XRN2GxJHz9
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    This is a cruel post Mr Eagles.

You're only trying to get everyone's hopes up.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: It would be "disastrous" if David Cameron quit as PM after Brexit, one of the Leave Cabinet ministers has said: https://t.co/ctTBXpupTB
  • Options
  • Options

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Lack of coherent strategy on part of Leave
    - Popularity of PM
  • Options
    Results late this evening?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    2016 at 6/1 is a much better bet than Remain at 9/4. If the UK leaves in 2016 so does George
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    Freggles said:

Yep. All the gagging and the threats and the suppression of data will make the difference.
  • Options

Polls close at 5 pm UK time, I expect well have exit polls shortly after.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

ydoethur said:

I don't see it. Being Foreign Sec would take Osborne away from Westminster at a crucial point in the run-up to next leader poll.
    Yes, but that's purely a bonus, it's not why I am suggesting it. The key thing is that Osborne so far has proven he isn't a very good Chancellor. He's had some broad brush successes and overall so far he's been pretty lucky, but put him on matters of minutiae and he gets into the most incredible tangles (tax credits, pasty taxes, heritage tax relief, top rate of tax...). I think he's a little bit lazy and slapdash, a latter-day Reginald Maudling. That wouldn't matter as Foreign Secretary where making pious statements is about all that's required.

Meanwhile, Hammond has much more financial experience and a calming manner. He'd be a good Chancellor and wouldn't constantly be in the news as jostling for power (or at least, not on present form). Moreover, he's known to be a Eurosceptic even if he is officially supporting Remain, which might help soothe feelings after Leave get hammered.

Of course it would damage Osborne's leadership ambitions, but it would make a stronger government that would be better for the country (not that Osborne would be exactly a new Disraeli). And that's what Cameron should think of right now.

Let's also think about recent history. Arguably, the worst political mistake Blair ever made was not moving or even firing Brown in 2001. That led to a great many disasters later (admittedly Blair managed Iraq all on his own) simply because Brown had decided he was (1) brilliant (2) indispensable (3) the next PM and therefore in need of buying votes on a grand scale and running up a current account deficit of £50 billion to pay for them at the height of a giddy and unstable boom. Osborne isn't even as clever as Brown, although he is just as arrogant - he could make a worse ballsup. If TSE is right and this is his last budget, that's the right move.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Let's hope the Scots give the frogs a stuffing.
  • Options
    The polling is about 50/50
    I'm not seeing the supposedly great Remain campaign
    The people are going off the Establishment
    Boris has same Trust factor as Cameron.

Not seeing your evidence as more than personal opinion. That's fine.
    Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Is it the whole country or certain areas?

• Options
    Malc from previous thread.

If 'Leave' win then I can't see how the Scots can be denied another referendum. The prospectus was called 'Better Together' which included Britain in the EU.

If it had offered staying with England out of the EU I don't think there can be much doubt the vote would have gone the other way.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2016
    At least Clarkson is honest about what direction he hopes the EU takes unlike so many Remainers/Undecideds who claim the status quo is a realistic option:
    Jeremy Clarkson has announced that he wants Britain to stay in the EU in order to establish a “United States of Europe” with “one army and one currency”.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-announces-he-wants-britain-to-stay-in-the-eu-to-create-a-united-states-of-europe-a6928556.html
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Freggles said:

Yep. All the gagging and the threats and the suppression of data will make the difference.
    And Barak standing behind Cameron is going to make so much difference (especially if he has a knife in his hands!)
  • Options

Is it the whole country or certain areas?

3 regions

Baden Wurttemberg which used to be solidly CDU but has now drifted off to the greens
    Rheinland Pfalz which is SPD but which merkel was hoping to take
    Sachsen Anhalt which is run by the CDU but who will probably get squeezed by AfD if the polls are to be believed

In total about 13 million voters eligible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    I'm on 9-2 2019 for this bet.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

At least Clarkson is honest about what direction he hopes the EU takes unlike so many Remainers/Undecideds who claim the status quo is a realistic option:

Jeremy Clarkson has announced that he wants Britain to stay in the EU in order to establish a “United States of Europe” with “one army and one currency”.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-announces-he-wants-britain-to-stay-in-the-eu-to-create-a-united-states-of-europe-a6928556.html

that will probably do him more damage commercially than hitting his producer.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM
    Which polls? Genuinely interested.
  • Options
    If it floats his boat.
    “I long for a time when I think of myself as a European first and an Englishman second. I crave a United States of Europe with one currency, one army and one type of plug," he wrote
    MP_SE said:

• Options
    Roger said:

Malc from previous thread.

If 'Leave' win then I can't see how the Scots can be denied another referendum.

Both Hosie and Nicola have now said they would deny it
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, must agree. Also not sure that "one currency, one plug" is the right sort of line to take.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/status/709008805665746947

People been queuing since 11.30pm last night.
    1100 protestors also at the last count.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

He's always been in favour. Typical of many (not the majority of) tories, good at being un-PC over a pub lunch, no actual balls on the issue.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

It is, as always, interesting to contrast the reporting of the statement, with the statement itself
    I’m the first to acknowledge that so far the EU hasn’t really worked. We still don’t have standardised electrical sockets, and every member state is still out for itself, not the common good. This is the sort of thing that causes many people to think, “Well, let’s just leave and look after ourselves in future.”

I get that. I really do. And after I’d watched Hannan’s speech, that’s briefly how I felt too. But, actually, isn’t it better to stay in and try to make the damn thing work properly? To create a United States of Europe that functions as well as the United States of America? With one army and one currency and one unifying set of values?
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/article1677563.ece
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    6/1, in other words a 1 in 7 bet that Osborne ceases to be Chancellor this year, looks a reasonable bet but that would indicate that there is a 6/7 chance that he won't.

I think there are good reasons for that. Osborne is absolutely central to this government and its policies. He has been deputy PM in all but name since the Coalition was formed, his influence on policy and appointments way beyond the Treasury is almost absolute and he has the unqualified support of his PM to whom he, in turn, has given unqualified support. There is no way, no matter what committees he is on, that he could have that kind of influence in any other position.

So this bet is a bet that Cameron is gone in 2016. I don't think that will happen even if Leave wins. A Leave win would accelerate his departure beyond doubt but a government facing the most complicated and difficult task that a UK government has undertaken since WW II really does not need to be instantly replacing its PM and Chancellor and wasting months of the 2 years notice period having a leadership election.

A vote for Leave is undoubtedly a vote for a short term jolt that may well be big enough to throw the economy into a mild recession (would only take a reduction of GDP of about 2%); it will throw the deficit reduction plan, already under strain, to pot and it will cause considerable disruption and uncertainty in the markets. The PM and Chancellor resigning or being replaced really would not help with any of that. The emphasis will be on steady as she goes for a considerable period. So he stays put.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

To create a United States of Europe that functions as well as the United States of America? With one army and one currency and one unifying set of values?

He thinks the US is working well? He thinks it is unified? He thinks it has a common set of values?

At that moment, he lost what little credibility he still had!
  • Options

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM
    The polling in totality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#2016
    Plus the fact that REMAIN does well in phone polling, when we know that UKIPpers and generally more radical political sentiments are over-represnted in online polls.

The biggest force in UK politics is inertia - once a paradigm shifts it stays there for a while. We had a decade of New Labour dominance, now a decade of Tory dominance, while Scotland continues to be SNP-dominated.

Shifts can happen but if we were headed for the exit I would expect consistent leads for LEAVE right now: in the final days there will be serious doom-and-gloom scaremongering, day in day out, which will pull undecideds into the Status Quo camp.
  • Options
    Mr. P, Clarkson makes a good argument, if you ignore past events, the current situation and the way things are heading in the future. Once reality is dispensed with, his idealism is full of appeal.

[I do think there are genuine arguments to stay in. But pretending we can magically change things and denying reality is not a genuine argument].
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The polling is about 50/50
    I'm not seeing the supposedly great Remain campaign
    The people are going off the Establishment
    Boris has same Trust factor as Cameron.

Not seeing your evidence as more than personal opinion. That's fine.

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM
    While Cameron is not particularly unpopular, I wouldn't say he's especially popular either. He's currently polling in the 35-40% range.
  • Options
    @LOS_Fisher: Jeremy Corbyn has broken his arm so won't be attending the anti-Housing Bill demonstration today, according to reports
  • Options
    Is Clarkson trolling?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM
    The polling in totality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#2016
    Plus the fact that REMAIN does well in phone polling, when we know that UKIPpers and generally more radical political sentiments are over-represnted in online polls.

The biggest force in UK politics is inertia - once a paradigm shifts it stays there for a while. We had a decade of New Labour dominance, now a decade of Tory dominance, while Scotland continues to be SNP-dominated.

Shifts can happen but if we were headed for the exit I would expect consistent leads for LEAVE right now: in the final days there will be serious doom-and-gloom scaremongering, day in day out, which will pull undecideds into the Status Quo camp.
    But, we also know that telephone polls understated UKIP support in the run up to the last election. In the last referendum we had, in Scotland, neither telephone nor online polls were more accurate than the other.
  • Options

Doubt there'll be much of a reconciliation reshuffle after GO was asking MP's if they're voting LEAVE or want to have a career.

You're such a cynic.

Dave will make Boris Northern Ireland Secretary, Gove Ambassador to the Islamic State, that sort of reconciliation
  • Options
    F1: Di Resta is Williams' reserve driver:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35795864

Mildly surprised, but pleased he's (sort of) back. Di Resta was more or less on a par with Hulkenberg when they were team mates and is definitely good enough to be in F1 but left, essentially, because he didn't have the sponsorship cash to get in. With Massa almost old enough for a bus pass, he must hope to inherit a Williams seat.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

My only fear is that there could be an army of elderly xenophobic voters in small towns and villages who are going under the radar at the moment but end up marching to the voting booths in numbers......

I'm torn between seeing this country as the progressive one that embraced Danny Boyle's vision of the Olympics and another which is altogether darker.
  • Options

This is a cruel post Mr Eagles.

You're only trying to get everyone's hopes up.

I nearly put in point 5) in the thread header just for you.

5) Epic failure of deficit reduction.
  • Options

You're such a cynic.

Dave will make Boris Northern Ireland Secretary, Gove Ambassador to the Islamic State, that sort of reconciliation
    That would get him my vote.

After all, Boris would unite the good people of Ulster against him, and as for the other one...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM

But, we also know that telephone polls understated UKIP support in the run up to the last election. In the last referendum we had, in Scotland, neither telephone nor online polls were more accurate than the other.
    We have counter evidence from council by elections that UKIP support is substantially down on the GE and further evidence from the 20 plus councillors who have deserted UKIP since last May therefore online polls that tell a different picture are certainly suspect .
  • Options
    Update on VoteLeave board

Mark Wallace
    Also good that @vote_leave campaign cttee includes Labour, Tory, UKIP, DUP, Lib Dem and ex-BCC DG John Longworth. https://t.co/xqREO4Cgkt
  • Options

You're such a cynic.

Hmm

but didn't you tell me that post referendum there's no point to UKIP so they'll disappear ?

So all those grumpy kippers will be rejoining their local conservative association and then selecting Atila the Hun for their local MP. Dave will be having to reconcile with Mr War, Mr Famine , Mr Death and Mr Pestilence.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

@LOS_Fisher: Jeremy Corbyn has broken his arm so won't be attending the anti-Housing Bill demonstration today, according to reports

Snowboarding, Skateboarding or tripped going up a load of steps?
  • Options

Bizarre gardening accident, perhaps?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

Bizarre gardening accident, perhaps?
    Tripped over a manhole cover?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Freggles said:

My only fear is that there could be an army of elderly xenophobic voters in small towns and villages who are going under the radar at the moment but end up marching to the voting booths in numbers......

I'm torn between seeing this country as the progressive one that embraced Danny Boyle's vision of the Olympics and another which is altogether darker.
    Roger less of the racist comments please.
  • Options

You're such a cynic.

Hmm

but didn't you tell me that post referendum there's no point to UKIP so they'll disappear ?

So all those grumpy kippers will be rejoining their local conservative association and then selecting Atila the Hun for their local MP. Dave will be having to reconcile with Mr War, Mr Famine , Mr Death and Mr Pestilence.
    Nah, wasn't me.

UKIP will always be around for the foreseeable future in some form or another.

Depends a lot on Farage.
  • Options

You're such a cynic.

Hmm

Nah, wasn't me.

UKIP will always be around for the foreseeable future in some form or another.

Depends a lot on Farage.
    Farage will go back to doing George Formby impersonations.
  • Options
    Mr. T, it's a fantasy. Like if I thought the EU could be a Third Roman Empire [and, no, the Russia of the Tsars does not count as that].

It's a great dream. It's also completely unrealistic.

You're not voting on whether the ideal is something you like, but on what reality is.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Freggles said:

The battle is about who can look like the 'sensible', common sense option.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM

We have counter evidence from council by elections that UKIP support is substantially down on the GE and further evidence from the 20 plus councillors who have deserted UKIP since last May therefore online polls that tell a different picture are certainly suspect .
    Local by-elections tell us a lot about local by-elections.

Opinion polls tell us what kind of support a party would get if a general election were hel today.
  • Options
    I'm suffering from a trapped nerve in my leg, so I can sympathise with Jez

@JasonFarrellSky: Jeremy Corbyn has "pulled something in his leg" according to @HackneyAbbott - NOT broken his arm as someone was reporting on Twitter.
  • Options
  • Options
    Roger said:

Freggles said:

Norway has twice voted against EU membership. That doesn't make Norway a dark, xenophobic country.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

I'm suffering from a trapped nerve in my leg, so I can sympathise with Jez

@JasonFarrellSky: Jeremy Corbyn has "pulled something in his leg" according to @HackneyAbbott - NOT broken his arm as someone was reporting on Twitter.

Yesterday or Friday it was McDonnell who was pulling our leg with some hilarious supposed economic policy. Did he get hold of his boss too?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM

Not sure what there is in that table to suggest Remain should be breaking out the vol au vents and party poppers just yet.

In fact if this were the polling for Indyref, Better Together would be sh*tting a collective brick by now, and there was a far stronger 'fear factor' there, both financially and politically.

I agree with you about the establishment, but I would have expected:
    -Murdoch and his empire to capitulate (perhaps they still will, but it's not looking that way)
    -The Daily Mail to prove characteristically lacking in backbone and go for 'We'd like to Leave but it will damage your mortgage and take away your pension so vote Remain'. Again that may still happen but hasn't yet.
    -The Monarch to tacitly support Remain (see Prince William's speech) - but that has now been blown out of the water.
    -The plucky Express to be the only Leave supporting press
    To sum up, I would have expected the same ferocity of the media smear attack on Farage and UKIP, to be brought to bear on Leave, and at the moment I don't see that. I suppose it's because (despite Roger and Innocent Abroad's wishes) it's hard to smear half the population as being racist bigots.

To me it seems the Remain campaign is rapidly running out of people in the yellow pages to call and warn us all of the desperate dangers of leaving - we've had generals, businessmen, scientists, the French President, we're soon to get Obama... I can't wait for athletes, vets, and what's left of The Beatles. And I do feel the more it happens the less impact it has.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

To me it seems the Remain campaign is rapidly running out of people in the yellow pages to call and warn us all of the desperate dangers of leaving - we've had generals, businessmen, scientists, the French President, we're soon to get Obama... I can't wait for athletes, vets, and what's left of The Beatles. And I do feel the more it happens the less impact it has.

Eddie Izzard will be the clincher
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

Norway has twice voted against EU membership. That doesn't make Norway a dark, xenophobic country.
    Norway has always been insular and though compassionate it's never been particularly welcoming to foreigners

http://sciencenordic.com/norways-problem-immigration
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, it's a fantasy. Like if I thought the EU could be a Third Roman Empire [and, no, the Russia of the Tsars does not count as that].

You're not voting on whether the ideal is something you like, but on what reality is.

I know, I know.

But it *could* be great.

A sensible EU would let us, the Brits, do most of the governing. After all, we had the biggest empire EVER, and we have the oldest democracy, and the greatest experience of continued political stability. In short, we rock. We'd also sort out policing.

Then us and the Germans would provide the military: we'd give them some backbone and they'd make the tanks.

The French and the Italians would do urban design, aerospace and aperitifs. The Spanish would sort out tapas for everyone at 7. Finns would bring in the wood during winter. Lovemaking would be encouraged across borders, say Cornish writers with Slovakian actresses, to forge the New European.

I'm semi serious. Here in Bangkok. It all seems so clear.
    The Spanish will still be in bed after lunch at 7! maybe with some creative time zones
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

Norway has always been insular and though compassionate it's never been particularly welcoming to foreigners

France is the same.
  • Options
    Mr. T, and the Roman Empire *could* have survived. But it didn't.

The EU *could* be great. But it isn't.

And do you honestly think it will be?

All those things you suggested about running it are a lovely dream, but nothing more. Vote with your head (whichever way you go). If you vote with your heart, then your brain's redundant.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    SeanT said:

I know, I know.

But it *could* be great.

A sensible EU would let us, the Brits, do most of the governing. After all, we had the biggest empire EVER, and we have the oldest democracy, and the greatest experience of continued political stability. In short, we rock. We'd also sort out policing.

Then us and the Germans would provide the military: we'd give them some backbone and they'd make the tanks.

The French and the Italians would do urban design, aerospace and aperitifs. The Spanish would sort out tapas for everyone at 7. Finns would bring in the wood during winter. Lovemaking would be encouraged across borders, say Cornish writers with Slovakian actresses, to forge the New European.

I'm semi serious. Here in Bangkok. It all seems so clear.
    Your vision just makes me think of the Mass Effect series, wherein interplanetary governance across dozens of species exists but is openly controlled by only three of them (four once uppity humans muscle their way in) on the grounds that they put the most in and are the most competent to do it, so everyone else can reap more limited rewards but have no real say.

Sadly, as with your perfect EUvision, the problem is always the competence of the controllers fluctuates, even on the things they are supposed to be good at.

That's one of my problems with the EU generally - I expect governments to be a little crappy, as governance is hard and people are very difficult, but the EU system seems tailor made to be crappy, or doesn't actually work the way it's suppose to in practice anyway, so most potential is lost.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MD If the Scots lose then it will be Westminsters fault...
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, some say Merkel's invited the Reapers over to the Citadel ;)

[On a related note, you probably know this already but Andromeda's been delayed to early 2017. And there's murmuring about a Dragon Age Tactics game along the lines of XCOM or Fire Emblem].

Mr. Dodd, I wonder if there's an English referee.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

MP_SE said:

It is, as always, interesting to contrast the reporting of the statement, with the statement itself
    I’m the first to acknowledge that so far the EU hasn’t really worked. We still don’t have standardised electrical sockets, and every member state is still out for itself, not the common good. This is the sort of thing that causes many people to think, “Well, let’s just leave and look after ourselves in future.”

I get that. I really do. And after I’d watched Hannan’s speech, that’s briefly how I felt too. But, actually, isn’t it better to stay in and try to make the damn thing work properly? To create a United States of Europe that functions as well as the United States of America? With one army and one currency and one unifying set of values?

Interesting. Clarkson is talking about the kind of the Europe I could be seduced by, as I once blogged for the Telegraph.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100238999/heres-how-i-would-sell-the-european-union-if-i-had-to/

The problem is that this "stay in to fix it" approach has been tested to destruction. Whether lovebombing them under Blair or playing hardball under Cameron, the EU has shown they are impervious to reform. It took years for Cameron to get slight reductions to child benefits for some new EU migrants. Clearly broad structural reform just cannot be done.

Frankly thinking we will stay in a bit more to get reform at this stage is like the alcoholic who has destroyed his life with binge after binge thinking he can handle just one drink. Its blind hope over experience.
  • Options
    Mr. Die, it's also the approach taken by battered spouses.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting. Clarkson is talking about the kind of the Europe I could be seduced by, as I once blogged for the Telegraph.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100238999/heres-how-i-would-sell-the-european-union-if-i-had-to/

The problem is that this "stay in to fix it" approach has been tested to destruction. Whether lovebombing them under Blair or playing hardball under Cameron, the EU has shown they are impervious to reform. It took years for Cameron to get slight reductions to child benefits for some new EU migrants. Clearly broad structural reform just cannot be done.

Frankly thinking we will stay in a bit more to get reform at this stage is like the alcoholic who has destroyed his life with binge after binge thinking he can handle just one drink. Its blind hope over experience.

What is the main reform that you would like the EU to undertake?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MD I hope not... the conspiracy theorists North of the Border would have a seizure..
  • Options

Mr. T, and the Roman Empire *could* have survived. But it didn't.

The EU *could* be great. But it isn't.

And do you honestly think it will be?

All those things you suggested about running it are a lovely dream, but nothing more. Vote with your head (whichever way you go). If you vote with your heart, then your brain's redundant.

No. It couldn't, and it shouldn't.

Europe is great (as a great lady once told us) because of competition and dare we say it rivalry over the centuries, not some sort of grotesque centrally planned superstate. To mush it all together and assign ridiculous 'competencies' to each part, would be to destroy the essence of what made it great in the first place.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    RodCrosby said:
    And back to tied in the just out CBS/YouGov, although Cruz looks too high in that one. Will be a close one there though.

Reuters Polling picking up a shift to Trump, which one should expect given the good past few days he has had. Win big in Illinois, Missouri and NC then those almost become WTA.

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TR130/filters/PARTY_ID_:2

Missouri should be good for Trump, big southern influence (see Ride with Devil, the Outlaw Josey Wales and, of course, Jesse James was Confederate Bushwhacker) with East St Louis there too as well as a fair bit of industrial decline.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, some say Merkel's invited the Reapers over to the Citadel ;)

[On a related note, you probably know this already but Andromeda's been delayed to early 2017. And there's murmuring about a Dragon Age Tactics game along the lines of XCOM or Fire Emblem].

I didn't know about the latter - most intriguing. I'm into Dragon Age for the story more than anything else, but I adore XCOM (as an adult it is handy to have a game you can play while eating dinner), so marrying the two together somewhat, hopefully combing the best of both, sounds terrific.
  • Options

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

France is the same.
    I agree. Always has been in a cultural sense. They've never been bothered by colour or creed as long as the incomers became in every sense French. I don't dislike that as I see it as setting standards rather than prejudice
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, just hope XCOM 2 comes out for consoles one day.

On DA Tactics, it was a Bioware bigwig who asked via Twitter if people would play it (a resounding yes was the answer). I think that'd be great, if they got the mechanics right.
  • Options
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

MP_SE said:

What is the main reform that you would like the EU to undertake?

Protection of non-Euro nations from Eurozone hegemony.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, just hope XCOM 2 comes out for consoles one day.

I'm sure it will, why leave money lying on the table - not a revolutionary game, but as I went through it it seemed clear the company had taken very close notice of things people liked or didn't like about the first and set about addressing near all of them.

Back on topic, I wasn't sure about 4) at first, but on reflection I can see the appeal for Cameron, Osborne and others, combined with 2), so the reasoning seems sound.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

France is the same.
    I agree. Always has been in a cultural sense. They've never been bothered by colour or creed as long as the incomers became in every sense French. I don't dislike that as I see it as setting standards rather than prejudice
    The Paris Banilieue would suggest that the French melting pot contains plenty of gristle:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

Scotland to beat France today? What are the odds? (4/5 Scotland favourites, apparently)

France have probably never been weaker.

However, beating France hands the Championship to England. A dilemma for our Cybernat friends.

France have decided to pick their best standoff today rather than the collection of jokers they have been trying over the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, I thought the French approach to fly halves was like Labour's approach to leaders. Shocked if they've picked someone who knows how to do it.
  • Options
    Der Trump will descend from the clouds shortly...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msv9ufCyQJM
  • Options
    You could see yesterday just how terrified DC is of Trump (Or Cruz) yesterday.

TRUMP will shake Gov't to it's boots.
  • Options
    @LOS_Fisher: Corbyn's broken arm now a pulled leg muscle..... https://t.co/ZApUgvD3Gw
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2016

Mr. Alistair, I thought the French approach to fly halves was like Labour's approach to leaders. Shocked if they've picked someone who knows how to do it.

Trim-Duck is by far France's best stand off over thr last, what, six years but he has clearly kicked someone's dog as he rarely gets to start for France.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: It would be "disastrous" if David Cameron quit as PM after Brexit, one of the Leave Cabinet ministers has said: https://t.co/ctTBXpupTB

It would be disastrous for my career if I said it wouldn't be disastrous if David Cameron quit in the event of Brexit and then Remain won the referendum as is most likely is most likely what this Cabinet minister thought.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, sounds even more inexplicable than Hulkenberg not getting a gig at a top team.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

France is the same.
    But you do object to it if your own country does the same ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Your evidence here is?

Freggles said:

- Polling
    - Power of status quo
    - Power of Establishment
    - Popularity of PM

Local by-elections tell us a lot about local by-elections.

Opinion polls hope to tell us what kind of support a party would get if a general election were hel today.
    I've inserted two words you left out of your last sentence.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Canvassing in inner London this morning for Sadiq/Remain.

Out of about 100 contacts we got just two - TWO - for Leave. Might be a coincidence, but very unusual to find such a weight of opinion on one side in any election. I'd say Remain has already sewn up at least 70% of the vote in this area.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Freggles said:

France is the same.
    But you do object to it if your own country does the same ?
    It's a lot easier for the French to do because they are, by a long distance, the largest Francophone nation.

I'm very curious to know how many of the Arab and African refugees, bona fide or bogus, who claim to want asylum in the UK really want to live in the USA. Most of them, I'd imagine.

• Options

You're such a cynic.

I'd heard that Boris was being lined up for Governor General of the South Sandwich Islands.
  • Options
    Here come the 1812 cannons for Trump!
  • Options

Canvassing in inner London this morning for Sadiq/Remain.

Out of about 100 contacts we got just two - TWO - for Leave. Might be a coincidence, but very unusual to find such a weight of opinion on one side in any election. I'd say Remain has already sewn up at least 70% of the vote in this area.

Which ward?
  • Options
    Live stream starting shortly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4jBZmeLGo
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hand-wringing over the problems of the world?
This discussion has been closed.