Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The White House Race, the referendum and the political bets

Comments

• Options

runnymede said:

And here's another one from the Grauniad - Toyota this time

'The head of one of the world's biggest car companies reignited the debate over the single currency yesterday with a warning for the government that its £1.5bn investment in the UK would be at risk if Britain stayed out of the euro.'

'Toyota managers said yesterday that its UK operations, including a new £200m plant at Burnaston, Derbyshire, would be at risk '

"We told him that if the present situation continues, then at the very least it will be impossible to expand our operations in the UK. If there is no change in the long term, then we will have to decide whether even our existing operations should continue."

All sound very familiar?
    Looks like the Remain team have been digging through Danny Alexander's old notes

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2000/jan/18/emu.theeuro

So you believe that there is no risk whatsoever? Can you explain why?
    There is a risk in leaving and a risk in remaining. Is your risk bigger than my risk?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RuthDavidsonMSP: Corbyn's making a big speech on how Labour caused the financial crash.He's just trolling his own side now, isn't he?
    https://t.co/txO8HuQK8G
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    When will David Cameron release the data on the number of active EU national insurance numbers?? As EU supporter Jonathan Portes says, it is outrageous to hide critical information from the UK public before they make their choices.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    The biggest risk would be to pay any attention to people who have been consistently wrong or misleading on this issue for forty years. Including the Lib Dems (remember them...?)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Mr. P, it's Corbyn's unique brand of idiocy that is giving the Conservatives licence to have a civil war, because they're so unconcerned by Labour now. Of course, if Corbyn walked and the reds got a leader who wasn't stupid...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

This will cheer those PBers with substantial money on Trump as POTUS:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/clinton-vs-trump-is-not-the-race-hillary-would-have-chosen-a6907906.html

Personally, I am now backing Hillary in hope of recovering losses on Rubio and Bush. I guess I'm an establishment sort of guy.

I'm laying Paul Ryan @ 579/1 if you're interested?

That's a *proper* establishment bet.

;)
  • Options
    F1: third day of the second, and final, test.

Qualifying (under the new rules, which come in from Spain onwards, apparently) will have only 8 cars in the final session. Seven will be removed in each of the previous sessions. Worth bearing in mind if you partake in the To Reach Q3 market.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Wanderer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT Cameron's scriptwriters have raised their game recently. I just heard him describe Corbyn's economic policy follwing the appointment of financial avisor Yanis Varoufakis the Greek held responsible for leaving their economy in ruins as 'Acropolis Now'.

Mind you the material has got a lot better

Roger, as a regular of pb.com, you will have read the Acropolis Now gag times aplenty. As, it appears, have the PM's speechwriters.

*waves*
    No I hadn't. So Dave owes you one?
    It seems to have a pretty long career as a pun http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0122333/
    If only there were a close advisor to the PM who might have been in Australia between 1989 and 1992, we might have someone in the frame for that pun...
    I regular use the Acropolis Now pun in PB headers.

Last there were an awful lot of/a lot of awful Hellenic puns in my PB thread headers

Some of my faves

1) Turning the Greek Euro crisis into a Drachma

2) The Greeks have lost their marbles

3) Like a bat out of Hellas

4) Greece is going to be the centaur of attention
    surely "...awful Hellenic puns in my Greek columns"?
    Excellent. I also compared Greece's relationship with the Euro as the most disastrous relationship in that part of the world since Helen eloped with Paris.
    I'd have had a lot more respect for Cameron if he'd gone on to describe Corbyn as "the face that launched a thousand splits"
    Or John Prescott - as the face that munched a thousand chips.....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, surely Mr. Smithson's the face that launched a thousand tips?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,944
    edited March 2016
    runnymede said:

'I think he was making the point that wage rises are a bad thing, which is probably true from his point of view, but perhaps not from the point of view of the average voter.'

Indeed he was. I can't see that line playing awfully well with the large fraction of the voters who have seen very slow, if any, real pay growth this last several years. Unlike people such as 'Lord' Rose of course.

@PatrickO'Flynn: Do you think we should pull back double agent Lord Rose from behind enemy lines now? I am worried his cover is in danger of being blown.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,073

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Wanderer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT Cameron's scriptwriters have raised their game recently. I just heard him describe Corbyn's economic policy follwing the appointment of financial avisor Yanis Varoufakis the Greek held responsible for leaving their economy in ruins as 'Acropolis Now'.

Mind you the material has got a lot better

Roger, as a regular of pb.com, you will have read the Acropolis Now gag times aplenty. As, it appears, have the PM's speechwriters.

*waves*
    No I hadn't. So Dave owes you one?
    It seems to have a pretty long career as a pun http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0122333/
    If only there were a close advisor to the PM who might have been in Australia between 1989 and 1992, we might have someone in the frame for that pun...
    I regular use the Acropolis Now pun in PB headers.

Last there were an awful lot of/a lot of awful Hellenic puns in my PB thread headers

Some of my faves

1) Turning the Greek Euro crisis into a Drachma

2) The Greeks have lost their marbles

3) Like a bat out of Hellas

4) Greece is going to be the centaur of attention
    surely "...awful Hellenic puns in my Greek columns"?
    Excellent. I also compared Greece's relationship with the Euro as the most disastrous relationship in that part of the world since Helen eloped with Paris.
    I'd have had a lot more respect for Cameron if he'd gone on to describe Corbyn as "the face that launched a thousand splits"
    Or John Prescott - as the face that munched a thousand chips.....
    In Hampton Court Palace, there's fresco of Putti, one of whom is the spitting image of John Prescott.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,015
    edited March 2016
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

JackW said:

Good Morning PBers Worldwide .... especially neurotic Bhutan travelling scribblers.

A whole day to get suitable comestibles at the ready for the GOP debate tonight.

Popcorn shares - Buy Buy Buy !!

Rubio will hold out until he loses Florida, but I can see that Cruz wants to keep going. President Cruz is a scarier thing than President Trump.
    Why is it scary? I'd definitely be voting Cruz if I lived in the USA.
    Trump is a bit of a buffoon at times, but at heart not that radical. Ted Cruz is much more purposeful, and I do not like his purpose! I cannot see him being a good friend of the UK.
    As stated the only place Cruz would be welcomed is Israel although he and Trump would be more likely to back the UK if it does Brexit than Hillary Clinton would
    Any American President will back the UK post-Brexit.

They are excellent at dealing with the world as it is, not as they would like it to be.

If it's in America's interests to be friends with an independent Britain they will be. Although, I would expect them to take full advantage of that to screw us in a free trade agreement ;)
    It is precisely on any free trade agreement the Europhile Hillary Clinton would more likely screw the UK if it voted to quit the EU than Trump or Cruz would
    No, they all will. American Presidents are very good at optimising the outcome for their country. Political calculation doesn't come into something like this (which would be waved through Congress on the nod)
    Haven't they done enough screwing UK companies like BP and several of our banks? This is one of the reasons why being cast adrift with that lot as our main trading allies is so terrifying. At least the EU has clout and a clout that is growing as the US's is diminishing. Perhaps we'll soon start fining halliburton on an even playing field
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Corbyn's making a big speech on how Labour caused the financial crash.He's just trolling his own side now, isn't he?

Maybe Corbyn read some old pb threads full of doubtless well-meant advice from Tory posters that Labour shoud fess up and move on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,061
    Pong said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/clinton-vs-trump-is-not-the-race-hillary-would-have-chosen-a6907906.html

Personally, I am now backing Hillary in hope of recovering losses on Rubio and Bush. I guess I'm an establishment sort of guy.

;)
    How does it feel to see a £290,000 green number - enough to buy a house with disappear for £500 :D ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,799
    Pong said:

;)
    Very kind, but I can't see any way to nomination even at those odds. Brokered convention I suppose.
  • Options

Given his avatar, I believe OGH truly is the Oracle of Selfie.....
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, sounds like a super pub in your avatar. I wonder if it has a sister establishment called The Fabulous Lancer.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,928
    JackW said:

Pong said:

JackW said:

Good Morning PBers Worldwide .... especially neurotic Bhutan travelling scribblers.

A whole day to get suitable comestibles at the ready for the GOP debate tonight.

Indeed ;)

Do you think ST changed anything?

Trump still value for POTUS?
    No. Super Tuesday just reinforced the narrative.

It's Clinton v Trump in November with Clinton emerging the winner. The scale of her win being dependent on whether elements of the GOP decide to run a spoiler against him, well knowing it will be cataclysmic for Trump and down ticket races.
    Jack how convinced are you Trump will be the nominee? I am not sure it's a banker yet. The current delegate count is 319 Trump/ 226 Cruz/ 110 Rubio.

ere are some delegate-rich winner-takes-all states still to come - Florida (99) Illinois (69) Ohio (66) PA (71) and California (172)

If a stop-Trump movement got its act together we could still get a brokered convention from which Trump would be unlikely to emerge the winner. It's unlikely but I was surprised how close the delegate count still is. If Rubio somehow managed to take his own state (FLA) which is the next winner-take-all state up then it could get interesting.

Agree with your analysis that Clinton beats Trump although I think it could become quite close. All candidates tack to the centre in the general but Trump has made too many hostages to fortune in the past which will come back to haunt him. I'm sure the Dems will paint him as a very erratic man to have his finger on the nuclear button.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,799

Scott_P said:

Maybe Corbyn read some old pb threads full of doubtless well-meant advice from Tory posters that Labour shoud fess up and move on.
    Ed Balls has been saying for years that Labour should have regulated more. This is another Corbyn strawman.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Mr. Roger, sounds like a super pub in your avatar. I wonder if it has a sister establishment called The Fabulous Lancer.

It's a restaurant actually. http://gayhussar.co.uk For some reason I've never understood it's a traditional haunt of the left.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    CLAPS

Given his avatar, I believe OGH truly is the Oracle of Selfie.....
  • Options

Pong said:

;)
    Very kind, but I can't see any way to nomination even at those odds. Brokered convention I suppose.
    It's @Pong's imagination which has got him the extraordinary POTUS book he now has.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

;)
    How does it feel to see a £290,000 green number - enough to buy a house with disappear for £500 :D ?
    If only I could trade it off on predictit.... I'd be able to get my £500 back & still be able to afford a semi in Ruislip if he won.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/730/Will-Paul-Ryan-win-the-2016-US-presidential-election
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, I prefer pubs. With warped floorboards. And a five foot door frame. And bronze horseshoes on the wall, with a Norman church next door.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Poor PMI figures this week. Feel like we're heading into slow down territory.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

Pong said:

JackW said:

Indeed ;)

It's Clinton v Trump in November with Clinton emerging the winner. The scale of her win being dependent on whether elements of the GOP decide to run a spoiler against him, well knowing it will be cataclysmic for Trump and down ticket races.
    Jack how convinced are you Trump will be the nominee? I am not sure it's a banker yet. The current delegate count is 319 Trump/ 226 Cruz/ 110 Rubio.

ere are some delegate-rich winner-takes-all states still to come - Florida (99) Illinois (69) Ohio (66) PA (71) and California (172)

If a stop-Trump movement got its act together we could still get a brokered convention from which Trump would be unlikely to emerge the winner. It's unlikely but I was surprised how close the delegate count still is. If Rubio somehow managed to take his own state (FLA) which is the next winner-take-all state up then it could get interesting.

Agree with your analysis that Clinton beats Trump although I think it could become quite close. All candidates tack to the centre in the general but Trump has made too many hostages to fortune in the past which will come back to haunt him. I'm sure the Dems will paint him as a very erratic man to have his finger on the nuclear button.
    I'm as convinced that Trump will be the GOP nominee as any rational analysis provides. You are correct to highlight the winner take all states looming but Trump is looking favourite to win most.

Trump would need to politically self combust not to be the nominee and if he is denied at the death having come so close I have little doubt he will run anyway and ensure a humiliation in November for the GOP.

• Options
    Pong said:

;)
    I've mostly written a thread about Paul Ryan becoming President next year. Might go up this weekend.

Hillary becomes POTUS, Hillary's VP is a Spiro Agnew, has to resign, the FBI indict and secure a conviction against Hillary, she resigns and next in line in the presidential line of succession is The Speaker of the House, one Paul Ryan.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

;)
    If only I could trade it off on predictit.... I'd be able to get my £500 back & still be able to afford a semi in Ruislip if he won.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/730/Will-Paul-Ryan-win-the-2016-US-presidential-election
    Predictit is annoying.

"Will Bush be at 5% in the RCP average trolololol"
  • Options
    Mr Deacon is on top form

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12180580/EU-referendum-Lord-Rose-makes-his-most-remarkable-blunder-yet.html
    Gently, Mr Tyrie returned him to the £3,000 claim. This was “a scandalous abuse of data,” said Mr Tyrie. “I deeply regret that you’re persisting in defending it.”

“You’re impugning my integrity!” shouted Lord Rose. “But that’s a fact of life!”

If it was a fact, it was the first one we’d heard all afternoon.
  • Options

Pong said:

;)
    I've mostly written a thread about Paul Ryan becoming President next year. Might go up this weekend.

Hillary becomes POTUS, Hillary's VP is a Spiro Agnew, has to resign, the FBI indict and secure a conviction against Hillary, she resigns and next in line in the presidential line of succession is The Speaker of the House, one Paul Ryan.
    Unfortunately for @Pong and anyone green on Ryan, Betfair settles once the Electoral college vote decides I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,385
    MaxPB said:

Poor in the UK and France. Germany had very good numbers, Italy improved and Spain continued to look positive.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Wow, the voice of Remain says if we Leave wages will rise.

In the Sun today Boris is in full flow, pointing out the same people predicting apocalypse if we didn't join the Euro are behind Project Fear now.

Nabavi gives an insightful view of the Cameroons - simply say what you have to, the truth is irrelevant. Cameron's "garbage" was "impressive". Admitting to being dishonest is a strange approach.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Good morning, everyone.

I'll believe that debate when I see it.

The campaign seems to be between two wings of the Conservative Party, while Labour are off with the fairies fantasising about nuclear disarmament.

Labour having failed to turn up for the football match, the Tories are having their own 5-a-side game.....
    Who's the ref?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

;)

Unfortunately for @Pong and anyone green on Ryan, Betfair settles once the Electoral college vote decides I think.
    I know. I would wonder if the FBi indictment falls between Election Day and Inauguration Day, what happens then?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

Pong said:

JackW said:

Indeed ;)

The delegate count has been skewed somewhat by Cruz having his home state early in the process.

Still to come in March we have the following major Winner Takes All Primaries for the Republicans:

Florida (99 delegates - last three polls there have Trump with 40%+); Missouri (52); Ohio (66 - question is whether Kasich still looks viable or whether he's gone - looks Trump's only adversary there); Arizona (58 - Trump has a 12% lead over Rubio, dated 23rd Feb).

I suspect things will look a little rosier for Trump after those...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Poor in the UK and France. Germany had very good numbers, Italy improved and Spain continued to look positive.
    Yes, well they have trillions of Mario's funny money sloshing around on the continent so positive figures in Europe are no surprise, France being unable to take advantage of the huge monetary stimulus is the bigger surprise (though only marginally).
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2016
    I have got Flightpath covered... he can stay in bed now ;)

http://goo.gl/KaKNYd

Now who is providing that quality service ;)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

;)
    Why Pong, it profits a man nothing to give away his betting position for the whole world... but for Ruislip?

(Apologies Sir Thomas More)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I have got Flightpath covered... he can stay in bed now ;)

http://goo.gl/KaKNYd

Now who is providing that quality service ;)

Lol, that's brilliant.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

I'll believe that debate when I see it.

The campaign seems to be between two wings of the Conservative Party, while Labour are off with the fairies fantasising about nuclear disarmament.

Labour having failed to turn up for the football match, the Tories are having their own 5-a-side game.....
    Who's the ref?
    It's more a jumpers-for-goalposts style knockabout.
  • Options
    Pong said:

;)
    Why, out of interest?

I agree the chance of it happening is miniscule, but can you put enough money to work that the absolute returns justify the potential tail risk?
  • Options
    The Boris vs Osborne debate is interesting as it shows who Boris is really gunning for. I think Boris knows that there is no way he can become PM without serious Cabinet experience, if Leave wins he can make Osborne the fall guy and force his way into the Treasury. That lines him up well for 2018/19/20 when Dave stands down.
  • Options
    "PredictIt is an educational purpose project of Victoria University, Wellington of New Zealand, a not-for-profit university, with support provided by Aristotle International, Inc., a U.S. provider of processing and verification services. Prediction markets, like this one, are attracting a lot of academic and practical interest (see our Research section). So, you get to challenge yourself and also help the experts better understand the wisdom of the crowd."

"Ladbrokes is an educational purpose project of @Shadsy. Prediction markets, like this one, are attracting a lot of academic and practical interest (see our Research section). So, you get to challenge yourself and also help the experts better understand the correct prices at Cheletenham."
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

JackW said:

Rubio will hold out until he loses Florida, but I can see that Cruz wants to keep going. President Cruz is a scarier thing than President Trump.
    Why is it scary? I'd definitely be voting Cruz if I lived in the USA.
    Trump is a bit of a buffoon at times, but at heart not that radical. Ted Cruz is much more purposeful, and I do not like his purpose! I cannot see him being a good friend of the UK.
    As stated the only place Cruz would be welcomed is Israel although he and Trump would be more likely to back the UK if it does Brexit than Hillary Clinton would
    Any American President will back the UK post-Brexit.

They are excellent at dealing with the world as it is, not as they would like it to be.

If it's in America's interests to be friends with an independent Britain they will be. Although, I would expect them to take full advantage of that to screw us in a free trade agreement ;)
    It is precisely on any free trade agreement the Europhile Hillary Clinton would more likely screw the UK if it voted to quit the EU than Trump or Cruz would
    No, they all will. American Presidents are very good at optimising the outcome for their country. Political calculation doesn't come into something like this (which would be waved through Congress on the nod)
    Haven't they done enough screwing UK companies like BP and several of our banks? This is one of the reasons why being cast adrift with that lot as our main trading allies is so terrifying. At least the EU has clout and a clout that is growing as the US's is diminishing. Perhaps we'll soon start fining halliburton on an even playing field
    We get screwed by the EU as well - even while we are inside.

For example: Germany and Italy want access for their auto engineering parts businesses to Mercosur. The trade off: opening the EU to prime Argentinian cattle.

The winners: Southern Germany / Northern Italy
    The losers: Scotland and Northern England
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,015
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

It's a restaurant actually. http://gayhussar.co.uk For some reason I've never understood it's a traditional haunt of the left.

Ironically one of the few Soho establishments that isn't particularly gay. I just used it to seem inclusive
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ed Balls has been saying for years that Labour should have regulated more. This is another Corbyn strawman.
    Just a shame Balls didn't think this when he was Brown's lackey...and could have actually done something about it (albeit, whilst wearing a Nokia phone deep within his forehead...)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,928
    JackW said:

OllyT said:

JackW said:

Pong said:

JackW said:

Indeed ;)

I'm as convinced that Trump will be the GOP nominee as any rational analysis provides. You are correct to highlight the winner take all states looming but Trump is looking favourite to win most.

Trump would need to politically self combust not to be the nominee and if he is denied at the death having come so close I have little doubt he will run anyway and ensure a humiliation in November for the GOP.

You are probably right but I still have a hunch that there might yet be final twist in the tale!
    I do agree that Trump will stand as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination. GOP are in trouble either way - Tea Party Cruz is no certainly no upgrade on Trump, in fact some might say he is a step backwards.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited March 2016
    The FT's City Network has considered the risks of Brexit for the City:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e48f84de-e065-11e5-9217-6ae3733a2cd1.html#axzz41pF1NOz3

Those without access behind the paywall will probably be unsurprised to note that the consensus was firmly that Brexit was a bad idea. Sample quotes:

Stephen Hester: "I think most would accept that Brexit is unlikely to represent a long-term economic disaster for the UK or the City. However, there is virtually no argument that it would produce a better economic result than staying in, except one — animal spirits. The argument [is implausible] that somehow there is a well of entrepreneurship waiting to rise phoenixlike from an economy liberated from the dead hand of Brussels bureaucracy."

Sir Mike Rake: "at best a vote to leave will lead to significant uncertainty, slow up of investment, growth and jobs, and at worst could lead to unnecessary long term economic damage, both to the city and the UK as a whole."

Colm Kelleher: "The fact that so many Europeans can come here so easily to work in the services industries has had a very positive impact on making the City the leading global services centre that it is. And it’s a virtuous circle. As a major global financial centre, and EU’s pre-eminent financial centre, the City is a magnet for the brightest and best from across the continent. If the City’s status diminishes — as it would if the EU’s financial centre of gravity shifts to within the EU — then clearly the flow of talent to London would reduce as it went elsewhere. The virtuous circle would reverse, to the long-term detriment of the City."
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Yeah. I'm trying to get my head around the brokered convention scenarios right now.

A compromise *establishment* candidate really isn't a likely outcome, even if a contested convention is starting to look possible.

Still, who knows?

Jeb!'s time may yet come...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

The Boris vs Osborne debate is interesting as it shows who Boris is really gunning for. I think Boris knows that there is no way he can become PM without serious Cabinet experience, if Leave wins he can make Osborne the fall guy and force his way into the Treasury. That lines him up well for 2018/19/20 when Dave stands down.

While Dave helpfully hangs around as a lame duck while he gains experience?

Cameron is gone if Leave win. That becomes clearer by the day.
  • Options
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6972916/Boris-Johnson-on-why-Britain-must-get-out-of-EU.html
    Peter Mandelson has been all over the media, wagging his finger and warning about Brexit like some deranged Old Testament prophet. It will be an economic disaster, he says.

We will lose trade, lose jobs, lose influence in Brussels. Well, he would have more credibility, frankly, if he had not said exactly the same thing 13 years ago.

“Staying out of the euro would prove a disaster”, he said then. “The price we would pay in lost trade and investment and jobs would be incalculable.”
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Roger said:

Wanderer said:

Ironically one of the few Soho establishments that isn't particularly gay. I just used it to seem inclusive
    Err Roger, aside from Old Compton St, most of Soho isn't 'particularly gay'. Inclusive, yes, as is pretty much everywhere else.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,385
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, well they have trillions of Mario's funny money sloshing around on the continent so positive figures in Europe are no surprise, France being unable to take advantage of the huge monetary stimulus is the bigger surprise (though only marginally).
    Nevertheless, it does suggest that the developed world is not about to swing back into recession. (France excepted.)
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, did the FT think we should join the euro?
  • Options

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e48f84de-e065-11e5-9217-6ae3733a2cd1.html#axzz41pF1NOz3

Those without access behind the paywall will probably be unsurprised to note that the consensus was firmly that Brexit was a bad idea. Sample quotes:

Stephen Hester: "I think most would accept that Brexit is unlikely to represent a long-term economic disaster for the UK or the City. However, there is virtually no argument that it would produce a better economic result than staying in, except one — animal spirits. The argument [is implausible] that somehow there is a well of entrepreneurship waiting to rise phoenixlike from an economy liberated from the dead hand of Brussels bureaucracy."

Sir Mike Rake: "at best a vote to leave will lead to significant uncertainty, slow up of investment, growth and jobs, and at worst could lead to unnecessary long term economic damage, both to the city and the UK as a whole."

Colm Kelleher: "The fact that so many Europeans can come here so easily to work in the services industries has had a very positive impact on making the City the leading global services centre that it is. And it’s a virtuous circle. As a major global financial centre, and EU’s pre-eminent financial centre, the City is a magnet for the brightest and best from across the continent. If the City’s status diminishes — as it would if the EU’s financial centre of gravity shifts to within the EU — then clearly the flow of talent to London would reduce as it went elsewhere. The virtuous circle would reverse, to the long-term detriment of the City."

These are the same types who predicted (along with the FT) doom and gloom if we didn't join the Euro. You won't mind if I don't take them very seriously, especially Mike Rake, the CBI may as well be called the CEI.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

JackW said:

Pong said:

JackW said:

Indeed ;)

You are probably right but I still have a hunch that there might yet be final twist in the tale!
    I do agree that Trump will stand as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination. GOP are in trouble either way - Tea Party Cruz is no certainly no upgrade on Trump, in fact some might say he is a step backwards.
    In terms of winning this year, if nominated, I think Trump would have a better chance than Cruz.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

Wanderer said:

Err Roger, aside from Old Compton St, most of Soho isn't 'particularly gay'. Inclusive, yes, as is pretty much everywhere else.
    The whole concept of a gay scene is dying. It has been disrupted by the internet. Why go to a pub that's a long way from home to drink bad overpriced beer and listen to awful music when you can get your oats at the click of a button or the swipe of a finger from the comfort of your own home?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Nevertheless, it does suggest that the developed world is not about to swing back into recession. (France excepted.)
    Did France ever get out of recession...?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

If we vote to leave, I think Dave will just about hang on, he will placate the leavers by making Boris and Gove the chancellor and foreign secretary. The main issue is that there is no one to replace Dave. I'm more firmly in the leave camp than most and despite the crap and the lies, I still wouldn't want to remove Dave as PM in the event of a leave vote.
  • Options

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6972916/Boris-Johnson-on-why-Britain-must-get-out-of-EU.html

Peter Mandelson has been all over the media, wagging his finger and warning about Brexit like some deranged Old Testament prophet. It will be an economic disaster, he says.

We will lose trade, lose jobs, lose influence in Brussels. Well, he would have more credibility, frankly, if he had not said exactly the same thing 13 years ago.

“Staying out of the euro would prove a disaster”, he said then. “The price we would pay in lost trade and investment and jobs would be incalculable.”
    These Euro-doom quotes are a hoot. Who could ever have thought that one day, we might have a referendum on the EU at which the veracity of these claims and the sagacity of those making them could be judged....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, I did say slow down rather than recession. I could see a few quarters of bumping along at 0.2-0.3% with manufacturing in reverse.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

These are the same types who predicted (along with the FT) doom and gloom if we didn't join the Euro. You won't mind if I don't take them very seriously, especially Mike Rake, the CBI may as well be called the CEI.
    One of the articles that I am planning to run in the near future will comprise simply a list of relatively disinterested establishment figures, home and abroad, and their comments on the idea of Britain leaving the EU, and the dismissive responses of prominent Leave campaigners. It should be quite a long list.

It seems that Leavers are only interested in the views of other Leavers.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Wanderer said:

The whole concept of a gay scene is dying. It has been disrupted by the internet. Why go to a pub that's a long way from home to drink bad overpriced beer and listen to awful music when you can get your oats at the click of a button or the swipe of a finger from the comfort of your own home?
    Porridge home delivered?
  • Options
    JackW said:
    Well, that should help settle the febrile atmosphere in the Republican clusterfuck Party.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

If we vote to leave, I think Dave will just about hang on, he will placate the leavers by making Boris and Gove the chancellor and foreign secretary. The main issue is that there is no one to replace Dave. I'm more firmly in the leave camp than most and despite the crap and the lies, I still wouldn't want to remove Dave as PM in the event of a leave vote.
    If Leave win, Cameron will go. He would only have been staying on for a year or two more anyway and he won't view it as worth his time and effort to stay. Plus his authority will be shot and enough of the awkward squad will be making his life too difficult.

• Options

MaxPB said:

One of the articles that I am planning to run in the near future will comprise simply a list of relatively disinterested establishment figures, home and abroad, and their comments on the idea of Britain leaving the EU, and the dismissive responses of prominent Leave campaigners. It should be quite a long list.

We are fair bursting with anticipation at another of your even-handed screeds....
  • Options
    “The price we would pay in lost trade and investment and jobs would be incalculable.”

Just need to replay that absurd quote over and over again.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016

MaxPB said:

Why bother. The same can easily be said of many in the Remain camp too.

However I am looking forward to your article on pensions, should the Smirking Osborne wreck the future prospects of yet more savers in the Budget, and nuke his leadership chances from orbit.
  • Options
    I know that everyone is only interested in the referendum, with the US election lagging a distant second, but there is some other news.

A few months ago there was a lot of discussion on here about a Court of Appeal decision about the application of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 in a case where an estranged daughter was provided for out of the estate in direct contradiction of a will that left everything to animal charities. This case is to be heard by the Supreme Court:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e0db31d4-e07a-11e5-9217-6ae3733a2cd1.html#axzz41pF1NOz3
  • Options
    There's so many to choose from, it's hilarious - and skewer many of the scare stories.

That the Eurozone has been a total dog's breakfast, just adds to the gaiety of the doom mongering.

These Euro-doom quotes are a hoot. Who could ever have thought that one day, we might have a referendum on the EU at which the veracity of these claims and the sagacity of those making them could be judged....

• Options

No, I'm interested in the views of people who aren't massive Europhiles. Honestly, that's why I read your headers Alastair! I think your reason for voting to remain is weak, but I wouldn't put you in the same camp as RichardN. If the FT get a few europhiles to feed them an article about how awful leaving the EU will be there shouldn't be much surprise as to the "meh" response it generates.

You say that the sceptics only want to listen to other sceptics, to me it is the europhiles who only want to hear from other europhiles. Maybe both statements are true.

As for the City, my view, and the view of our CEO/board, is that it won't make much difference. If we go for an EEA/EFTA style arrangement it will probably be a net gain as we could set our own terms of trade with RoW nations and only our financial trade with the EU would be governed by EU regulations.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

If Leave win, Cameron will go. He would only have been staying on for a year or two more anyway and he won't view it as worth his time and effort to stay. Plus his authority will be shot and enough of the awkward squad will be making his life too difficult.

If leave win, Corbyn is still in charge and Labour has no money, isn't there a fair chance of Cameron making the "principled" argument that an immediate GE is necessary so that the public can decide on the prospectus they want to bring to the Leave negotiations? Obviously he *really* doesn't want to stand but the risk of instability in a change of leader would be far too great so he can then rebrand his legacy as "the PM who lost the EU (and Scotland)" to "the PM who increased his vote at three consecutive GEs".
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pong said:

;)
    Why, out of interest?

I agree the chance of it happening is miniscule, but can you put enough money to work that the absolute returns justify the potential tail risk?
    I'm all green on that market, so I've withdrawn my capital.

One of the benefits of betfair.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

Which is why he will hand them Osborne and Hammond's heads on a platter. That will be enough, the awkward squad loathe Osborne (they think he isn't a real Tory) and they think Hammond is a traitor.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Will there be a balancing article setting out all the list of folk who have the opposite view?

• Options
    Rubio is at an implied 2-1 !

Since I want to "play in the green" on the republican side (Who knows at this point) 21.0 may well be worth taking. His chances in Florida might be better than the polls indicate as it is a closed primary.
  • Options
    There has been some discussion on this:

Claim: Norway and Switzerland have to accept EU laws despite not being members in order to trade with it.

Conclusion: This is about right. Both Norway and Switzerland keep out of some EU activities, such as the Common Agricultural Policy. But they bring many of their laws into line with EU rules, on the single market in particular. Norway incorporates single market rules as they’re made, while Switzerland accepts EU law from time to time in return for more market access.

https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-switzerland-eu-laws/
  • Options

JackW said:
    Well, that should help settle the febrile atmosphere in the Republican clusterfuck Party.
    And take into account the Rasmussen GOP "lean" that often in the past has been more "fall over" than "lean".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

Which is why he will hand them Osborne and Hammond's heads on a platter. That will be enough, the awkward squad loathe Osborne (they think he isn't a real Tory) and they think Hammond is a traitor.
    Why would Cameron want to limp on? He would be, to coin a phrase, in office but not in power. Unless he has a taste for public humiliation I can't see it.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016
    Next from Project Fear
    “Head of the TUC The alternative is that we pay a heavy price for staying outside, and .... to have any real say in shaping the .... future.” , the chairman of Britain in Europe and a former President of the CBI, felt “convinced that inside .... on the right terms, Britain will be stronger in the world, not weaker; our economy and our people will be more prosperous not less; and our future will be confident, not backward looking.”

From 15 and 16 years ago. All about us staying out of the disastrous euro. Anyone remember that advice?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,943

That'll be the FT that supported the ERM and Euro then.

Bear defecates in wood - shock.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Charles said:

Pong said:

;)
    Why, out of interest?

I'm all green on that market, so I've withdrawn my capital.

One of the benefits of betfair.

I don't know what your position on Sanders is like, but I think he's a lay at 34 / 38 right now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,563
    The BBC will all the big insights and serious news angles on the US presidential election race...

How real is Donald Trump's hair?

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-35711752
  • Options

Quite. City AM has been much more pro-Brexit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,943

MaxPB said:

Doing your best to campaign for BSE. Every one is a keeper.

It's unlikely but boy oh boy do I hope Leave win.

Your posts here afterwards would be priceless.
  • Options

These quotes were from regular attendees at a forum that the FT organises most months. Previous recent subjects have included "Is the outlook all doom?", cybercrime and backstop liquidity facilities. Not so much the FT as people who the FT regards as the great and the good of the City.
  • Options
    Jeb! has come back from the dead in the Rep Nom market: 500 / 600 xD
  • Options

Next from Project Fear
    “Head of the TUC The alternative is that we pay a heavy price for staying outside, and .... to have any real say in shaping the .... future.” , the chairman of Britain in Europe and a former President of the CBI, felt “convinced that inside .... on the right terms, Britain will be stronger in the world, not weaker; our economy and our people will be more prosperous not less; and our future will be confident, not backward looking.”

From 15 and 16 years ago. All about us staying out of the disastrous euro. Anyone remember that advice?

And never, EVER, a word of contrition......

Guys, the Euro: you got it horribly, hideously, stupendously wrong - wrong as wrong can ever be. We only ever want to hear one more word from you on matters European before you STFU about it for ever more.

That word? "Sorry...."
  • Options

Claim: Norway and Switzerland have to accept EU laws despite not being members in order to trade with it.

Conclusion: This is about right. Both Norway and Switzerland keep out of some EU activities, such as the Common Agricultural Policy. But they bring many of their laws into line with EU rules, on the single market in particular. Norway incorporates single market rules as they’re made, while Switzerland accepts EU law from time to time in return for more market access.

Conveniently not mentioning its only a tiny fraction of the laws we have to abide by.
  • Options
    'simply a list of relatively disinterested establishment figures'

I'm sure we all look forward to your list of these 'disinterested' individuals. I imagine most will be about as 'disinterested' as you are.
  • Options

The BBC will all the big insights and serious news angles on the US presidential election race...

How real is Donald Trump's hair?

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-35711752

I think this BBC article may originate from a former employee, well known in PB circles who regards "Donald's Top Story" to be the Holy Grail .... :smile:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,563
    edited March 2016
    Seems this sad tale is a rather more complex story than some people have been pushing.

The British Transport Police report leaked to the press revealed Elliott’s three previous suicide attempts and battle with depression. The police report suggested Elliott, who was gay, had rowed with his parents about his sexuality – a claim they deny.

http://order-order.com/2016/03/02/johnson-family-lawyers-play-down-pre-existing-vulnerabilities/
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

9% mostly technical of nature, comprising around 100 pieces of primary legislation. See Hancock's car crash on the subject yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgrB2yAPPlQ
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

These quotes were from regular attendees at a forum that the FT organises most months. Previous recent subjects have included "Is the outlook all doom?", cybercrime and backstop liquidity facilities. Not so much the FT as people who the FT regards as the great and the good of the City.

If the Daily Mail had some quotes from "regular" people, do you think that would be representative of the population at large, or what the DM wanted to quote?

Apply to FT.

• Options

Conveniently not mentioning its only a tiny fraction of the laws we have to abide by.
    Nope......it does:

While emphasising that this isn’t an exact calculation, it concluded that Norway is roughly three quarters integrated into the EU compared to a typical EU member country......

......Leaving the numbers aside, the overall point the Outside and Inside report makes is that the EU has a great deal of influence over what Norway does.
  • Options
    'While emphasising that this isn’t an exact calculation, it concluded that Norway is roughly three quarters integrated into the EU compared to a typical EU member country'

What does that mean - precisely?
This discussion has been closed.