Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Never mind Super Tuesday, get ready for Mega March

12346»

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Which is why he'll lose overwhelmingly if he's in charge. As those people don't vote.

It doesn't even make sense. Look at YouGov's graph of where is eurosceptic and where is europhile. Does euroscepticism correlate with being a hellhole? No, quite the opposite, those are the most europhile areas in the country. Euroscepticism is at its highest by and large where the right wing vote is the highest, that is the target demographic to get out the vote.

WTF are you on about? Euroscepticism strongly correlates with WWC areas. The top ten eurosceptic boroughs:

1. Havering
    2. Peterborough
    3. Bracknell Forest
    4. Blackpool
    5. Blackburn with Darwen
    6. Southend-on-Sea
    7. Warrington
    8. South Tyneside
    9. Sandwell
    10. Cumbria

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/28/eurosceptic-map-britain/
    I'm a voter from Warrington South, we have a Tory MP (Warrington North to be fair does not). On a constituency map we are a blue blip in a sea of red.
    Warrington South borders to its south and east Altrincham, Tatton and Waver Vale - all of which are Conservative constituencies.

It also borders to its north and west Halton, St Helens South and Warrington North - which are Labour constituencies.

Warrington South is effectively where posh Cheshire meets the south Lancashire industrial belt.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/election-maps/gb/

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2016

Oh and doesn't Havering have a Tory MP too? While Central London's Labour areas are europhile while Outer London's more Tory areas are more eurosceptic.

Look at the South West too. Labour's best area in the South West is Bristol, the only area in the South West to be Europhile.

Outside of Bristol, Somerset and North Somerset are very Eurosceptic - and unanimously Tory.

Plymouth is a Tory city compared to Bristol, and guess what it's a Eurosceptic one.

Havering is full of people who would have lived in the East End and voted Labour in the 1970s, but who are completely repulsed by the likes of Livingstone and Corbyn.

Labour Left's idea of 'progress' and 'fairness' is completely toxic to them, paying far too little regard to notions of family, hard work and contribution. They are also proud of the country they come from and what their families did to build and protect it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MTimT said:

Indigo said:

FPT

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

Not on pb they aren't.

And the majority of card-carrying Tories on here will be voting Remain by my calculations.

Most of the Leavers have already chucked their cards in the bin in disgust, we are mostly ex-members, a legacy from when the Conservative Party was a centre-right party, not the Liberal Democrats with less sandals.
    Also a legacy from when the party was losing?

As for centre right, spending as a proportion of GDP has come down by 5% and counting. Centre right 7nder my definition.
    Yes, I remember Mr Thatcher "losing" those 3 elections... maybe you are too young :smirk:

As to spending, you are basically applauding a 30st man for losing a few pounds, when you are that overweight anyone but a idiot (ie Labour) can lose weight, but Osbrown has cut far too little and spent far too much.
    First six years of Thatcher
    1979 42.75%
    1980 44.54%
    1981 45.29%
    1982 45.56%
    1983 43.20%
    1984 42.59%

First six years of Cameron
    2010 44.86%
    2011 45.31%
    2012 43.97%
    2013 44.05%
    2014 42.40%
    2015 41.39%

Cameron and Osborne inherited a worse proportion spend of GDP than Thatcher did and have already got it significantly below what Thatcher did in the same period of time. But don't let facts get in your way.
    Damn, I didnt realise that being right-wing was just about public spending, now I realise it has nothing to do with values or a program of government, all becomes clear.

So Labour 1975-79 was right-wing, who knew it..
    A little disingenuous with your side-by-side comparison of the government spends there, Mr Thompson. Thatcher took over at the nadir of a recession, Cameron 2 years after. Adjusting for that we have:

45.29% vs 44.86%
    45.56% vs 45.31%
    43.20% vs 43.97%
    42.59% vs 44.05%

That would argue that Thatcher indeed moved faster to get spending under control.

Those who lived through the late seventies and early 80s remember how quickly unemployment exploded from around 440k to 1.5m (5.2%-14.8% by 1986). That probably accounted for all the Thatcher increases in GDP spending.
    The economy was not in recession in May 1979 when Thatcher took office.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    I see Sadiq Khan has been hanging out with terrorist mate again.
This discussion has been closed.