Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There was a similar phone/online polling divide at the last

Comments

• Options
    Indigo said:

I know a couple of them receive in work benefits but those are not due to the level of wages I pay but due to the fact they are single parents who have children and the government has chosen to give extra welfare to those with children and have a low family income.

I dare say your business is employing well skilled people in a moderately high end business. Lower down the food chain things get messy. The problem comes when a person needs £7/hr to live, but is only capable of producing goods or services worth £5 after expenses. At the moment that gap is filled by the government. Education will help in the long term, but for the bottom third of society it's not going to help very much, as they are the people that struggle at school and leave as soon as they can anyway.

The question for the next 20 years and beyond is how to provide employment and a productive place in society for the sort of people who can only manage basic manufacturing jobs, and are massively undercut by their opposite numbers in Asia.
    The minimum wage is £6.80 an hour and going up in two months to £7.20 per hour businesses have to pay what it owes. If someone is only producing something worth £5 an hour then a business loses money by hiring them, the government isn't subsidising them still though.

If the government is giving welfare to people with children then that is a matter for the government, it has nothing to do with the businesses that even at minimum wage levels still has to pay Employers NI and everything else I mentioned.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

You really are a despicable piece of sewer scum.

You obviously haven't had enough to drink yet.

I'm not the one wishing businesses would go bust and people lose their jobs. I suspect drink is the least of your problems. Some form of mental illness seems more likely.
    I want people to get and keep jobs with people who don't spend their time whining about things they have no influence over. PT isn't fit to employ anyone. The problem with our economy is that he's just one of many. Self-interest in this country to-day isn't enlightened, if it ever was.

I didn't whine. Show me a whine. I set the record straight instead, detailing the many taxes that I pay to the Exchequer. As for whether I'm fit to employ anyone or not, you know nothing about my business or how I treat my employees. I'll let you know though that I have never not paid a penny I owe in wages or taxes though.

As for self-interest, I'm trying to run a small business to provide for myself and my family. As part of that 20 other people have jobs that would not exist otherwise to provide for their families. The government has extra taxes it would not have to provide for what it needs to spend on.

Good luck finding enough people to set up businesses up and down the country who aren't aware of the many taxes they need to pay and who have no interest in trying to make money. People who aren't aware of taxes tend to go out of business when the government demands them though.
    "The many taxes I pay to the Exchequer" sounds like a whine to me - either you aren't paying a penny that your competitors aren't paying, or else you need a new accountant.

or the governments pissing money up the wall and asking decent citizens to fund its whims.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sajid Javid winning friends:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/02/24/steel-sector-wont-be-bailed-out-like-the-banks-says-sajid-javid/

Anyone want to guess what Sajid Javid's career was before he entered politics ?

Welder ? Machine operative ? banker ?
    Ah, HA! Mr Brooke is here, now we have a real subject expert in place. Have you read the discussion mssrs. Indigo, Thompson and myself have been having over the past 45 minutes or so on the subject of manufacturing in the UK, Mr. B.? I so what is your take on it?
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Just watched PMQs. Cameron an absolute disgrace on the NHS today, when faced with the facts all he does is to continue to repeat untrue statements which he must know are not borne out by the data.

Jeremy Hunt used to laud Don Berwick's analysis https://twitter.com/jeremy_hunt/status/323796498536095744 but even Prof Berwick now says Hunt is wrong and should acknowledge his mistake and apologise.

Just because he has an opposing view does not make it a disgrace any more so than you holding your view. The doctors need to be careful with these strikes as they could lose public support rapidly. After all a lot of the public work Saturdays without demanding social wage enhancements and most will be paid a lot less than doctors.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806

I see the quiz says I'm Nick Clegg!

Yeah but you are Nick Clegg, so no surprise!

That respectable ex-MP Nick Palmer would hardly hang around here :)
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/02/24/steel-sector-wont-be-bailed-out-like-the-banks-says-sajid-javid/

Ah, HA! Mr Brooke is here, now we have a real subject expert in place. Have you read the discussion mssrs. Indigo, Thompson and myself have been having over the past 45 minutes or so on the subject of manufacturing in the UK, Mr. B.? I so what is your take on it?
    too many people are stuck in the 70s. This country has some excellent businesses and there is no reason why we cant have more. Our political classes however have no concept of how to nurture that growth,
  • Options

Hard on the heels of UKIP's latest instalment of Game Of Thrones:

@PickardJE · 21s22 seconds ago

Hearing Ukip members have been warned of dire consequences if they work with Vote Leave campaign rather than Farage-backed Grassroots Out.

If Farage is Mad Kings Aerys with Galloway as his pyromancer who will be the young Jaime Lannister ?

I know everyone goes on about potential splits in the Tory party but I really think it us far more likely that UKIP will effectively disintegrate after the referendum.
    I have no doubt you are correct in that viewpoint and I would venture to suggest that when the dust has settled post 23rd June there will be a cabinet representative of all views within the conservative party and it will act as a renewal which labour may well regret to their long term cost
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Roger said:

And from the other happy ship:

@bbclaurak · 32s32 seconds ago

Hearing after Gove's interview, No 10 has told officials at Ministry of Justice to stop showing him documents that relate to the EU

It can only be a matter of hours before he's fired from government for good. It's not a fashionable idea on here but I find Gove and his wife more duplicitous than even Boris. Her article in this mornings Mail was pure Iago.
    Confirms my suspicions that Gove will be PM in the coming years.

Anyone who gets up Roger's nose this much is alright by me.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Trump is looking for a governor or ex-governor for VP:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/702564752011034628
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,154
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

I know a couple of them receive in work benefits but those are not due to the level of wages I pay but due to the fact they are single parents who have children and the government has chosen to give extra welfare to those with children and have a low family income.

I dare say your business is employing well skilled people in a moderately high end business. Lower down the food chain things get messy. The problem comes when a person needs £7/hr to live, but is only capable of producing goods or services worth £5 after expenses. At the moment that gap is filled by the government. Education will help in the long term, but for the bottom third of society it's not going to help very much, as they are the people that struggle at school and leave as soon as they can anyway.
    One of the problems of our political discourse is that it always focuses on finding a way to top up income, rather than looking at ways to drive down the cost of living, to the benefit of everyone.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231

He seems hugely overrated to me. I can't see why people keep touting him as a future leader.

And I have a somewhat jaundiced view of the bank at which he used to work.

How can I put this without getting into trouble?

Let's just say this: if there were to be a Venn diagram of bankers who had spent time there and moved on and bankers who come to my attention, there would be a heavy overlap between the two circles.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,005
    Speedy said:

twitter.com/costareports/status/702564752011034628

Trump Palin dream team? :p
  • Options

You really are a despicable piece of sewer scum.

You obviously haven't had enough to drink yet.

I'm not the one wishing businesses would go bust and people lose their jobs. I suspect drink is the least of your problems. Some form of mental illness seems more likely.
    I want people to get and keep jobs with people who don't spend their time whining about things they have no influence over. PT isn't fit to employ anyone. The problem with our economy is that he's just one of many. Self-interest in this country to-day isn't enlightened, if it ever was.

I didn't whine. Show me a whine. I set the record straight instead, detailing the many taxes that I pay to the Exchequer. As for whether I'm fit to employ anyone or not, you know nothing about my business or how I treat my employees. I'll let you know though that I have never not paid a penny I owe in wages or taxes though.

As for self-interest, I'm trying to run a small business to provide for myself and my family. As part of that 20 other people have jobs that would not exist otherwise to provide for their families. The government has extra taxes it would not have to provide for what it needs to spend on.

Good luck finding enough people to set up businesses up and down the country who aren't aware of the many taxes they need to pay and who have no interest in trying to make money. People who aren't aware of taxes tend to go out of business when the government demands them though.
    "The many taxes I pay to the Exchequer" sounds like a whine to me - either you aren't paying a penny that your competitors aren't paying, or else you need a new accountant.

Not a whine just a matter of fact. As for other businesses 9 out of 10 new businesses go bust. I'm working hard to try and make sure mine is in the 1 out of 10 by being aware of all costs.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

By his standards, he hasn't been that rude about Chris Christie.
  • Options

Speedy said:

I don't think there's any chance he picks someone who might have their own agenda. He will want a supplicant.
  • Options

If we had any sense, our Government would make an offer to Redcar or Port Talbot to say

"steel is not viable long-term. But we will invest a billion pounds to make you the world leader in graphene experimentation, production and marketing..."
    State aid is illegal under EU law.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Indigo said:

One of the problems of our political discourse is that it always focuses on finding a way to top up income, rather than looking at ways to drive down the cost of living, to the benefit of everyone.
    Good point, and well presented. I wish more people would think like this!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Speedy said:

That is the Trump people will see after the primaries
    The madman act is just to win among Republicans
  • Options
    Wow. C4 really going big on the Tory by-election expenses issue. Claims of £90,000 of undeclared expenses over the 3 by-elections.
  • Options

If we had any sense, our Government would make an offer to Redcar or Port Talbot to say

"steel is not viable long-term. But we will invest a billion pounds to make you the world leader in graphene experimentation, production and marketing..."
    "I will MAKE it legal!" - Darth Sidious (aka. Palpatine)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

He wasn't a banker. He was a trader.

Please.
  • Options

Speedy said:

I think that'd be a reasonable guess as to who he's making eyes at. Despite him saying he has no idea I think he's clearly playing a serenade here towards someone or other. I don't know US politics well enough to work out who though. I can't believe it's not really obvious to US observers though. Any US observers care to say?

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Hearing after Gove's interview, No 10 has told officials at Ministry of Justice to stop showing him documents that relate to the EU'

But of course Richard N and the other spinners will still assure us the government is being 100% honest, has nothing to hide and behaves entirely in good faith. As do all the other EU governments. And George Washington never told a lie.
  • Options

Wow. C4 really going big on the Tory by-election expenses issue. Claims of £90,000 of undeclared expenses over the 3 by-elections.

I hope whoever's idea it was to try and keep hotel costs off the book this way (at least that's what I think this relates to?) is fired.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

He seems hugely overrated to me. I can't see why people keep touting him as a future leader.

Let's just say this: if there were to be a Venn diagram of bankers who had spent time there and moved on and bankers who come to my attention, there would be a heavy overlap between the two circles.

I spent time there and moved on.

And I suspect I have come to your attention.

Just, hopefully, for the right reasons...
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Indigo said:

Perhaps a politician could talk about 'a cost of living crisis'.
    :-)
  • Options
    Charles said:

He wasn't a banker. He was a trader.

Please.
    Assuming the wikipedia entry is roughly right he was never a trader.
  • Options

You would have thought that if Corbyn had been true to his beliefs he would be for leave because by supporting the EU his idea of nationalising the railways is dead in the water.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Speedy said:

I think that'd be a reasonable guess as to who he's making eyes at. Despite him saying he has no idea I think he's clearly playing a serenade here towards someone or other. I don't know US politics well enough to work out who though. I can't believe it's not really obvious to US observers though. Any US observers care to say?

If I was going to guess, one name would be Nickki Haley, the governor of south Carolina, is in with a shot.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004

You would have thought that if Corbyn had been true to his beliefs he would be for leave because by supporting the EU his idea of nationalising the railways is dead in the water.
    Aside from Branson, aren't ours nationalised by the Germans anyway ?
  • Options

BigRich said:

Indigo said:

Perhaps a politician could talk about 'a cost of living crisis'.
    :-)
    They could, But he would have to be careful not to demand a frees to energy prises, just before they started to fall.
  • Options

Would it be illegal for the UK government to set up a company, wholly owned by the government, that placed bids for the franchises?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RobD said:

I hope whoever's idea it was to try and keep hotel costs off the book this way (at least that's what I think this relates to?) is fired.
    Booked under the name "Mr.Conservatives".
    They are certainly no authors.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Should have gone for "Mr P. B. Tory" :D
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2016
    BigRich said:

Indigo said:

Most of the cost of living is indirectly paying other people's wages ( and by extension their taxes), so the two are completely intertwined.

For example, in the UK you pay about £2 for a 1.75L of Coca Cola. Here I pay about 60p for an identical bottle of same drink. It is bottled about a mile from where I live. The workers in the bottling plant probably make around £8 per day, the delivery trucks less, the people working in the shops that sell it, less still. The equipment used here is probably the same or very similar to that used in the UK.. the key difference is labour cost. If you workforce is expensive, then your cost of living is going to tend to be expensive.

Ergo if you want to drive down the cost of living, you need to either pay people less, or employ less people, the first is just as vicious circle to the poor house, the second is alright if the market will bear the cost of mechanisation, and you have somewhere else to employ the displaced employees. You can also cut taxes, but that requires governments to do less, as in just stopping doing whole things completely... Asian governments mostly do MUCH less, but I can't see it being popular in the UK.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

If I was going to guess, one name would be Nickki Haley, the governor of south Carolina, is in with a shot.
    BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

tbh Charles we view you as a good egg rather than a banker.

even me !
  • Options

too many people are stuck in the 70s. This country has some excellent businesses and there is no reason why we cant have more. Our political classes however have no concept of how to nurture that growth,
    Thanks, Mr. Brooke. I suspect that one of the reasons why our politicians have no clue is time scale. The average politician might think as far ahead as the next GE, though I am sure ministers work on much shorter time scales, to build a good business I think one has to look much further ahead and plan accordingly/

A few years ago I was at a dinner and was seated next to the 40-something year old CEO of a large, long-lived, successful but still family owned business. He was thinking about where his company needed to be in 20 or thirty years time and what actions he needed to take now to put it on the right course. He saw his role as a steward with a duty to hand over the company in a better condition than it was when he received it and on course for the future. Most people I spoke to on those occasions talked about current share prices, the next set of results and their bonuses.

I am firmly of the belief that unless we can raise the sights of the strategic management in our major companies up from their bonuses and onto the long term, then the UK will continue to decline in absolute and relative terms. Unfortunately the only people who can make that happen are HMG and they are focussed on even shorter timescales than most senior executives.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Philip Rucker ‏@PhilipRucker 1h1 hour ago Minnesota, USA
    News: Brian Sandoval, Republican governor of Nevada, is being vetted for SupremeCourt, @mikedebonis @eilperin scoop http://wpo.st/QRDF1

Philip Rucker ‏@PhilipRucker 60m60 minutes ago Minnesota, USA
    It would be interesting to see if Republican senators refuse hearings on a Sandoval SCOTUS nomination https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/02/24/brian-sandoval-republican-governor-of-nevada-is-being-vetted-for-supreme-court-vacancy/?

Sandoval endorsed Rubio yesterday, and yes Sandoval said he would like to be on the Supreme Court.
    Rubio will need some explaining to do.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

A good choice, but I don't think that's who he has in mind, and I think he was hinting. Trump said something about 'Getting legislation over the line' - has she done anything of that sort? Who has? Some major bill that has taken time and effort - a perhaps passed over figure in the glamour stakes.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    She was born in the US though?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Thanks, Mr. Brooke. I suspect that one of the reasons why our politicians have no clue is time scale. The average politician might think as far ahead as the next GE, though I am sure ministers work on much shorter time scales, to build a good business I think one has to look much further ahead and plan accordingly/

A few years ago I was at a dinner and was seated next to the 40-something year old CEO of a large, long-lived, successful but still family owned business. He was thinking about where his company needed to be in 20 or thirty years time and what actions he needed to take now to put it on the right course. He saw his role as a steward with a duty to hand over the company in a better condition than it was when he received it and on course for the future. Most people I spoke to on those occasions talked about current share prices, the next set of results and their bonuses.

I am firmly of the belief that unless we can raise the sights of the strategic management in our major companies up from their bonuses and onto the long term, then the UK will continue to decline in absolute and relative terms. Unfortunately the only people who can make that happen are HMG and they are focussed on even shorter timescales than most senior executives.
    That's the issue with manufacturing you have to think in 3-5 year time horizons not 3-5 months. But the rewards are also commensurate when done right,
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    Actually ineligible or Rod's special spurious ineligible?
  • Options

There is a fairly easy solution for that, Mr. Norfolk. We even have a chance to take it in a few months time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Would it be illegal for the UK government to set up a company, wholly owned by the government, that placed bids for the franchises?
    That is possible as far as I understand but the government franchise cannot rely on state subsidy and under a labour government with strong union involvement they would almost certainly fail to be competitive
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Surely block-booked Tories should be under Douglas Herd?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Couldn't they have been a bit more subtle?

Say, book it under the name of Mr. P. Nesshead, for example?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

Not a chance, Haley hates Trump and the feeling is mutual, she has attacked Trump publicly again and again and desperately pushed for Rubio in S.Carolina.
    I think you can cross off the list anyone who endorsed Marco Rubio.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

LOL it might be but that doesn't stop our continental neighbours paying it.

And yes I know over several examples.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    RobD said:

No. But they will have to be arms length and funded on a commercial basis.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Indigo said:

BigRich said:

Indigo said:

Most of the cost of living is indirectly paying other people's wages ( and by extension their taxes), so the two are completely intertwined.

For example, in the UK you pay about £2 for a 1.75L of Coca Cola. Here I pay about 60p for an identical bottle of same drink. It is bottled about a mile from where I live. The workers in the bottling plant probably make around £8 per day, the delivery trucks less, the people working in the shops that sell it, less still. The equipment used here is probably the same or very similar to that used in the UK.. the key difference is labour cost. If you workforce is expensive, then your cost of living is going to tend to be expensive.

Ergo if you want to drive down the cost of living, you need to either pay people less, or employ less people, the first is just as vicious circle to the poor house, the second is alright if the market will bear the cost of mechanisation, and you have somewhere else to employ the displaced employees. You can also cut taxes, but that requires governments to do less, as in just stopping doing whole things completely... Asian governments mostly do MUCH less, but I can't see it being popular in the UK.
    The alternative is to increase productivity.
  • Options

There is a fairly easy solution for that, Mr. Norfolk. We even have a chance to take it in a few months time.
    Why hasn't that appeared on the list of reasons for Leave before ? Seems obvious in retrospect.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

That's the issue with manufacturing you have to think in 3-5 year time horizons not 3-5 months. But the rewards are also commensurate when done right,
    A former, friendly, ex-colleague of mine, a Dutchman, put the English attitude to business as resulting from our heritage of piracy! Historically, our politicians have mostly argued about how to divide up the cake, rather than how to make it bigger. Politicians need to encourage all actors in the economy to work together.

• Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen, like Rubio, which we know is not a natural born citizen.

"The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that..." Minor v Happersett (1874), approved US v Wong Kim Ark (1898).
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Yes indeed. Something we are pretty piss poor at doing, so it might need some luck ;)

• Options

And you wonder why I'm for Leave? Although I'm sure creative minds in France or Germany would find a way round it....
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    perdix said:

A former, friendly, ex-colleague of mine, a Dutchman, put the English attitude to business as resulting from our heritage of piracy! Historically, our politicians have mostly argued about how to divide up the cake, rather than how to make it bigger. Politicians need to encourage all actors in the economy to work together.

Left wing politicians on the whole seem to prefer making the cake smaller. If there is any suggestion some of the slices are bigger than others, the automatic reaction to to start confiscating bits of the bigger slices, rather than making the cake bigger so everyone gets a bigger slice.

It doesnt matter if people end up in the poor house, so long as everyone is in the poor house together... much better than having some in a terrace and others in a detached house in half an acre.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen
    "All persons born or naturalized". In her case born, not naturalized.

Eligible.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely :)

• Options

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen

Eligible.
    Are you deaf, or just obtuse?

"The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural born citizens."

So them words you quoted from the Constitution can't possibly be relevant, can they?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Indigo said:

perdix said:

Left wing politicians on the whole seem to prefer making the cake smaller. If there is any suggestion some of the slices are bigger than others, the automatic reaction to to start confiscating bits of the bigger slices, rather than making the cake bigger so everyone gets a bigger slice.

It doesnt matter if people end up in the poor house, so long as everyone is in the poor house together... much better than having some in a terrace and others in a detached house in half an acre.

The bankers are taking the biggest slice of the cake and ensure everyone else argues about the crumbs.Crumbs from the rich man's table is not the answer.We need to take over the bakery.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Indigo said:

Perdix - piracy is precisely the spirit of business. It's an honorable piracy when practiced well.

Indigo - and thus they practice their own piracy, but less honestly than in business.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

It is not for the PM or LotO to criticise each other's appearance in the Chamber. That is the Speaker's job. I trust Cammo has lobbied Bercow.

Surely because of what you say in your first two sentences you should hope that John Bercow reprimands David Cameron for undermining the Speaker's office?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2016
    Woodford: Brexit won't hurt UK economy

Leaving the EU would not necessarily damage the UK economy, fund manager Neil Woodford has reiterated.

But Mr Woodford argued it was very difficult to build a credible economic argument for the UK either staying in or leaving the union.

Rather, the debate was a political argument about issues such as immigration and sovereignty, he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35647771

Somebody speaking some sense...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Indigo said:

perdix said:

The bankers are taking the biggest slice of the cake and ensure everyone else argues about the crumbs.Crumbs from the rich man's table is not the answer.We need to take over the bakery.
    No, this isnt true, not be any measure. You could claim they take a slice of the cake they dont deserve. And the more they grow the cake the more they take, but they do make the cake bigger.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen

Eligible.

So them words you quoted from the Constitution can't possibly be relevant, can they?
    It's clear that the Constitution including its Amendments adequately defines US citizenship in exactly two classes: born (or natural born) and naturalized. A line from a court ruling over a century ago doesn't change that.
  • Options

Indigo said:

perdix said:

Do you have experience in baking cakes?
  • Options

Leaving the EU would not necessarily damage the UK economy, fund manager Neil Woodford has reiterated.

But Mr Woodford argued it was very difficult to build a credible economic argument for the UK either staying in or leaving the union.
    Rather, the debate was a political argument about issues such as immigration and sovereignty, he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35647771

For me it's a very simple argument - iI'll be voting Leave - and I made my mind up about 2 years ago. It was the treatment of Ireland and Greece and the way their citizens meant nothing during the crisis that made me think it was an organisation I didn't want to be part of.
  • Options

Indigo said:

perdix said:

Do you have experience in baking cakes?
    How hard can it be? I mean, if Greece can...

Oh....
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen

Eligible.

It's clear that the Constitution including its Amendments adequately defines US citizenship in exactly two classes: born (or natural born) and naturalized. A line from a court ruling over a century ago doesn't change that.
    Has is crossed your mind that the SCOTUS, speaking through the Chief Justice, only six years after those words were inserted into the Constitution, might have a more "clear" understanding of the matter than some nonentity spouting about it over a hundred years later?

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Indigo said:

perdix said:

From our perspective, it is impossible for everyone to get a bigger slice, because the super-rich don't only have the biggest slices of the cakes already made, they're also hogging all the ingredients and refusing to give anyone else even a chance to make their own.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

Yes indeed. Something we are pretty piss poor at doing, so it might need some luck ;)

Or a removal of some of the more onerous EU-imposed legislation.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen

Eligible.

Has is crossed your mind that the SCOTUS, speaking through the Chief Justice, only six years after those words were inserted into the Constitution, might have a more "clear" understanding of the matter than some nonentity spouting about it over a hundred years later?

Anybody can be wrong. A "nonentity", as you unflatteringly call yourself, can be just as wrong as a judge.
  • Options
    Does anyone else feel there are some debates they would like to respond to on here, but don't because some of the individuals are just so obnoxious about it?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @joepike: In Commons, David Mundell reminds SNP MP Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh they both stood together as Tory candidates for Holyrood. Meow.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited February 2016
    BOUNDARY COMMISSION REVIEW LAUNCHED:

Number of constituencies:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11
    Northern Ireland - 17 - down 1

Total - 600 - down 50

Scottish press release gives totals for each country:

http://www.bcomm-scotland.independent.gov.uk/2018_Westminster/start_review/Start_Review_News_Release.pdf

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Hearing after Gove's interview, No 10 has told officials at Ministry of Justice to stop showing him documents that relate to the EU

It can only be a matter of hours before he's fired from government for good. It's not a fashionable idea on here but I find Gove and his wife more duplicitous than even Boris. Her article in this mornings Mail was pure Iago.
    You were calling her Lady Macbeth the other day. Why do you feel the need to blame Gove's wife for Gove's decision?

Because that's what her article suggested to me. 'The hours of heartache and soul-searching..... ever since he was a child he's been wrestling with this...' Call me a cynic but the only other article I've read by her was the one where she does a character assassination on MRS Ed Miliband and that was brutal
  • Options

Indigo said:

perdix said:

Rafael "Ted" Cruz listed his wife's profession as 'baker', which sounded rather sweet.
    But alas it was just a careless typo, she is in fact a highly-paid banker with Goldman Sachs.
  • Options
    On topic, I think Leave atm are heading for a clear defeat (I'd say, 57:43) but it won't be a landslide because the EU is a visceral issue that creates strong passions. Many have firm, fixed views on it so I don't expect hugely wild swings back to Remain. I think the truth is somewhere between the online and phone polls, probably in the phone polls favour.

In fact, many of those who vote Remain will be eurosceptic with no love for the EU but simply be terrified of economic meltdown. Further, I think many London based commentators are overestimating the latent appeal, for Remain because of where they reside and who they mix with, so I don't think Remain are on course for 70% or anything like that.

On the other hand, most people didn't give a shit about AV. Once they'd clocked on it was bull, they rapidly shifted to "NO".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Seeing the 'Natural Born Citizen' argument playing out yet again, I have to ask why, if there is indeed even the slightest ambiguity on the subject (and even if one accepts the NBC argument displayed, it must be accepted matters are deemed ambiguous, or else those 'obviously' ineligible would not have run and continue to run for president), why in the name of christ has it not been sorted out definitively long before now? Is the prospect of someone born to american parents but overseas such a terrible thing that even if the rules still prohibit it, technically, it should not be clarified to state that of course it is ok? What horror is being risked? And if there is no horror at the prospect, what is the problem with getting rid of the prohibition or just ignoring it (if indeed there is such a prohibition)?

I understand at least the arguments on some other issues about the law being what the original framers intended, there is usually a problem with interpreting things differently, some perceived negative consequence to deviating from that interpretation. But what is the downside here?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

http://www.bcomm-scotland.independent.gov.uk/2018_Westminster/start_review/Start_Review_News_Release.pdf

For all Tories who are wishfully thinking the boundary review is a fait accompli - are Tory MPs who are going to be affected by this really going to happily vote themselves into redundancy?

The Tories if they want boundary changes are surely going to have to start over and do it again with the full 650 seats.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372

Does anyone else feel there are some debates they would like to respond to on here, but don't because some of the individuals are just so obnoxious about it?

Yes, a bit, and I expect others feel it more. But there's a consolation - if your critic is clearly obnoxious, you can win over bystanders to your side by answering reasonably even if you're entirely wrong :-). The scary opponents are the reasonable ones - if SeanT calls you a slimy piece of pond life, meh, that's SeanT, but if David Herdson says he thinks you're unfortunately mistaken, then you probably are...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

For all Tories who are wishfully thinking the boundary review is a fait accompli - are Tory MPs who are going to be affected by this really going to happily vote themselves into redundancy?
    There will probably be enough retirements and elevations to cover the shortfall.
  • Options
    CONSTITUENCY CHANGES BY ENGLISH REGION:

Eastern - down 1
    East Midlands - down 2
    London - down 5
    North East - down 4
    North West - down 7
    South East - down 1 (***)
    South West - down 2
    West Midlands - down 6
    Yorkshire - down 4

Total - down 32

(***) Includes Isle of Wight which GAINS one seat. So REST of South East loses 2.

http://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/BCEreviewlaunchpressrelease.pdf
  • Options
    PS. Can I encourage Nick Palmer to post as much as possible on the subject of the EU referendum over the next four months, please?

Telling people we're odds on to join the Euro in the next decade or two, if we vote to Remain, is guaranteed to produce a clear victory for Leave.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

You were calling her Lady Macbeth the other day. Why do you feel the need to blame Gove's wife for Gove's decision?

Because that's what her article suggested to me. 'The hours of heartache and soul-searching..... ever since he was a child he's been wrestling with this...' Call me a cynic but the only other article I've read by her was the one where she does a character assassination on MRS Ed Miliband and that was brutal
    Too long in Provence old chum, come home and get some culture

http://www.ludlow.org.uk/events2.asp?Month=3

• Options
    MikeL said:

CONSTITUENCY CHANGES BY ENGLISH REGION:

Eastern - down 1
    East Midlands - down 2
    London - down 5
    North East - down 4
    North West - down 7
    South East - down 1 (***)
    South West - down 2
    West Midlands - down 6
    Yorkshire - down 4

Total - down 32

(***) Includes Isle of Wight which GAINS one seat. So REST of South East loses 2.

http://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/BCEreviewlaunchpressrelease.pdf

Bad for Labour. Good.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2016
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

The Tories if they want boundary changes are surely going to have to start over and do it again with the full 650 seats.
    Their Lordships as they will be known..... :smile:

Enough sweeties to push around.
  • Options
    Very noticeable how concentrated the changes are.

Eastern, East Midlands, South East and South West - very heavy Con areas - only lose a grand total of 6 seats between them.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Eastern, East Midlands, South East and South West - very heavy Con areas - only lose a grand total of 6 seats between them.

They are clearly following the PB Tory Gerrymandering Guidebook to the letter.
  • Options

On topic, I think Leave atm are heading for a clear defeat (I'd say, 57:43) but it won't be a landslide because the EU is a visceral issue that creates strong passions. Many have firm, fixed views on it so I don't expect hugely wild swings back to Remain. I think the truth is somewhere between the online and phone polls, probably in the phone polls favour.

In fact, many of those who vote Remain will be eurosceptic with no love for the EU but simply be terrified of economic meltdown. Further, I think many London based commentators are overestimating the latent appeal, for Remain because of where they reside and who they mix with, so I don't think Remain are on course for 70% or anything like that.

On the other hand, most people didn't give a shit about AV. Once they'd clocked on it was bull, they rapidly shifted to "NO".

I think with AV the public impression was that it was only being offered as a sop to Nick Clegg and they reacted accordingly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

There will probably be enough retirements and elevations to cover the shortfall.
    Well, that will surely depend on where those retirements are.

If a Tory MP in North Wales sees their seat disappear, a retirement / open seat in Hampshire won't be much use to them.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

They are clearly following the PB Tory Gerrymandering Guidebook to the letter.
    Issue is, does this wipe the LDs out ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Omnium said:

I see the quiz says I'm Nick Clegg!

Yeah but you are Nick Clegg, so no surprise!

That respectable ex-MP Nick Palmer would hardly hang around here :)
    lol!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Yes they can as if she became President she would not be the first, nor the second to be President under those circumstances. You can keep harping on to a fictional rule you've made up from a fictional misunderstanding from an ambiguity three centuries ago.

In real life the law is crystal clear. The serving President is eligible because he is the President. No ifs, no buts.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

It's too early to call because this is one subject where events tend to change the electoral mood.

I'm also far from convinced that many people truly understand, or are engaged, with this.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

It's either this review or no changes at all.

It's the law that it's 600 - would require Act of Parliament to change - that won't happen.

So either these changes go through (Statutory Instrument vote in late 2018) or current boundaries used again in 2020.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

England - 501 - down 32
    Scotland - 53 - down 6
    Wales - 29 - down 11

Total - 600 - down 50

Their Lordships as they will be known..... :smile:

Enough sweeties to push around.
    But if the Tories' neutering of the House of Lords goes through, why would Tory MPs want to go there?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

BigRich said:

Omnium said:

Speedy said:

She's ineligible...
    A 14th Amendment citizen

Eligible.

Anybody can be wrong. A "nonentity", as you unflatteringly call yourself, can be just as wrong as a judge.
    The problem is, 14 years after Minor, the SCOTUS in Wong quoted and approved the same statement.

I suppose they must be wrong too, and only 21st Century keyboard warriors can possibly be right...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Trump's debate techniques analysed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LR6EA91zLo
This discussion has been closed.