Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Elections : February 18th 2016

Comments

• Options

Tonight could be one of those nights that defines a country's success in the European Song Contest. Things just got real for some of you.

Britain won the Eurovision long before the EU even came about!
  • Options
    LEAVE = RAF
    EU = Luftwaffe

:)
  • Options

>

English is the best language in the world!

Very possibly but I am told that Persian is the most beautiful, and having listened to some Persian poetry on the wireless last week ("In our Time" on Radio 4, worth the licence fee on its own) I can see where such a view comes from.
    Whilst English is the best, the French language is the most beautiful, especially when cursing. It is like wiping your arse with silk.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I'm riven with guilt having read Laura Kuenssberg's tweets on the summit. Imagine all the unemployment among the media if EU summits didn't include a British PM fighting to save us from the euro-sausage.
  • Options
    I've said something nice about the French, I'm off to say a billion Hail Marys as absolution.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

>

Very possibly but I am told that Persian is the most beautiful, and having listened to some Persian poetry on the wireless last week ("In our Time" on Radio 4, worth the licence fee on its own) I can see where such a view comes from.
    Whilst English is the best, the French language is the most beautiful, especially when cursing. It is like wiping your arse with silk.
    So shiny but not very absorbant so in the final analysis showy and useless?
  • Options
    To return to the discussion about productivity from earlier today the ONS have released an updated analysis of public sector productivity:

This paragraph sums it up:

"Previously published figures showed total public service productivity increasing in 2011 and 2012, after a period of limited growth between 2004 and 2010. Revisions in this article show this increase to be smaller than previously published, mostly as a result of methods changes in quality adjustment and the treatment of academies in the production of estimates for public service education. Annual average productivity growth has been revised downwards from 0.2% per year between 1997 and 2012 to 0.0%."

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_433554.pdf

Annual average productivity growth has been revised downwards from 0.2% per year between 1997 and 2012 to 0.0%.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FPT, that's the funny thing about Blair. Most people regard him, rightly, as a wholly despicable creature, who lacks any sense of right or wrong, the Gollum of British politics. But, Cameron and Osborne adore him, as do a key group of swing voters in marginal seats.

Do swing voters really like Blair these days? In 1997 and 2001, yes - but by 2005 it seemed as if he was just the least worst option. But it's interesting that Labour supporters who have that view on Blair often get criticised.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/09/14/the-voters-by-some-distance-say-tony-blair-will-be-remembered-as-the-best-modern-labour-leader/
  • Options

Tonight could be one of those nights that defines a country's success in the European Song Contest. Things just got real for some of you.

Did you see the story on Sky earlier that they're planning on changing the scoring system?
    Hope it doesn't bugger up the tenner that I've got on the Russkies to win it this year.
    I did. Not keen on it.
    Neither am I.
    My choice would be that all tracks are released 6 months before the final and the results are based on commercial sales. Let the free market decide.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    So, more pointless theatricals from Cameron, hoping that "looking tough" in front of Europe is going to get him more support.

Trouble is, we've been here before. The previous flounce didn't last long and apart from a blip in the polls, had no significance at all.

I sometimes forget Cameron isn't there trying to get the best deal for Britain but to try to keep the Conservative party together.

I'm sure I'll awaken in the morning to the triumphalism of his supporters telling us what a hero he's been. As always, the Devil will be in the detail.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Faisal Islam
    Two EU ministers tell Sky News: David Cameron asked for an emergency brake lasting 13 years plus - a hardening of his position
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2016
    The more I think about it, the more I think the Bush family will vote for Clinton in a Clinton-Trump battle. Obviously there's no way to test or check this... but I don't think @HYUFD theory on this is too far fetched.

The Clinton/Bush dynasties kind of need each other (It won't be Jeb this time), can see Chelsea running for POTUS in the next 30 years though... A Trump administration could get very inconvienient for two of the US royal families. (The Kennedys I guess another one, though they seem to have mostly departed this mortal coil...)

Jeb surely backs Rubio if he flops in South Carolina this weekend.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FPT, that's the funny thing about Blair. Most people regard him, rightly, as a wholly despicable creature, who lacks any sense of right or wrong, the Gollum of British politics. But, Cameron and Osborne adore him, as do a key group of swing voters in marginal seats.

Do swing voters really like Blair these days? In 1997 and 2001, yes - but by 2005 it seemed as if he was just the least worst option. But it's interesting that Labour supporters who have that view on Blair often get criticised.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/09/14/the-voters-by-some-distance-say-tony-blair-will-be-remembered-as-the-best-modern-labour-leader/
    Well, yes the best modern Labour leader. I don't even like Blair, but I'd say that. Given the various different options, how many are going to say a bunch of flops who couldn't win a GE are better than Blair, who won three? It doesn't mean that they actually like Blair, or that they think they he was a great PM.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I voted for Blair three times and exactly as you described. First two times was positive viote but not third. Thought he screwed up over Iraq and we needed a change but didn't want Howard in office. On reflection Blairs record is even worse. The deceit about Iraq is major negative, they overspent, and they didn't respond to working class worries about immigration soon enough.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

(1) Cameron finds it impossible tomorrow to reach an acceptable deal and returns to the UK with great drama pending another conference in a couple of weeks time.

(2) Cameron gives up the renegotiation as a bad and embarrassing job and accepts that he has to win the referendum on the state of the EU as it is having demonstrated how hard satisfactory change is. A less than optimal position.

I would say the odds are at least 80:20 in favour of option (1). Unfortunately this means another 2 weeks of non stop EU threads. You start to get a bit jealous of those rhino don't you?

Two other scenarios:

(3) Cameron does the best deal he thinks he can tomorrow, reasoning that getting going with the campaign will be better than two, four or more weeks of listening to the Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph and increasingly backbenchers and perhaps ministers publicly ratchet up the pressure, then coming back with something not-too-ideal anyway.

(4) He says 'f*ck it' and backs Leave.

The EU leaders will not want to be discussing Polish benefit repatriations while there is a migrant crisis unsolved. This is Cameron's moment and the EU's indulgence on the subject. After tomorrow, is ceases to be agenda item 1 and will have to fight for its place alongside everything else. In other words, if the deal isn't done tomorrow (or Saturday, if they decide to stay the extra day), I don't expect a June referendum.
    Isn't scenario 1 impossible if the date is to be the 23rd June? Thought the referendum needed a minimum period.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Faisal Islam
    Two EU ministers tell Sky News: David Cameron asked for an emergency brake lasting 13 years plus - a hardening of his position

I would love to see Dave explain how this emergency brake will reduce immigration to the tens of thousands. It is so pointless yet he is making such a big deal about it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

(1) Cameron finds it impossible tomorrow to reach an acceptable deal and returns to the UK with great drama pending another conference in a couple of weeks time.

(2) Cameron gives up the renegotiation as a bad and embarrassing job and accepts that he has to win the referendum on the state of the EU as it is having demonstrated how hard satisfactory change is. A less than optimal position.

I would say the odds are at least 80:20 in favour of option (1). Unfortunately this means another 2 weeks of non stop EU threads. You start to get a bit jealous of those rhino don't you?

Two other scenarios:

(3) Cameron does the best deal he thinks he can tomorrow, reasoning that getting going with the campaign will be better than two, four or more weeks of listening to the Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph and increasingly backbenchers and perhaps ministers publicly ratchet up the pressure, then coming back with something not-too-ideal anyway.

The EU leaders will not want to be discussing Polish benefit repatriations while there is a migrant crisis unsolved. This is Cameron's moment and the EU's indulgence on the subject. After tomorrow, is ceases to be agenda item 1 and will have to fight for its place alongside everything else. In other words, if the deal isn't done tomorrow (or Saturday, if they decide to stay the extra day), I don't expect a June referendum.
    Isn't scenario 1 impossible if the date is to be the 23rd June? Thought the referendum needed a minimum period.
    Not if the "emergency" summit is in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Just so everyone knows, I made a staggeringly good creamy garlic prawn risotto this evening.

Just so everyone knows, I'm flying to Kenya to look at the VERY LAST NORTHERN WHITE RHINOS ON EARTH, on Sunday. For The Times.

http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/wildlife/rhinos/northern-white-rhinos/

There are three left. THREE.
    I thought you were off to Bhutan next.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sunil: Remember back to your early teachings. "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the REMAINERS.

TSE: The REMAINERS use their power for good.

Sunil: Good is a point of view, Anakin, er, I mean TSE. The LEAVERS and the REMAINERS are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

TSE: The LEAVERS rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

Sunil: And the REMAINERS don't?

TSE: The REMAINERS are selfless... they only care about others.

Sunil: [looking a little frustrated] Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Smithson "the Wise"?

TSE: No.

Sunil: I thought not. It's not a story the LibDems would tell you. It's a blogging legend. Darth Smithson was a LibDem blogger who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... AV threads. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying from boredom on Thursday Nights.

TSE: He could do that? He could actually save people from boring themselves to death?

Sunil: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many policy platforms some consider to be unelectable.

TSE: What happened to him?

Sunil: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice wiped his servers' hard drives while he slept. It's ironic that he could save others from obscurity, but not himself.

TSE: Is it possible to learn this power?

Sunil: Not from a LibDem...
  • Options

>

Wasn't it Harry Flashman who said that Persian was the most beautiful language ?

Was this the episode you heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBy07GaFMw

For those who want to hear some Persian poetry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WckiDUODGQ
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Faisal Islam

I would love to see Dave explain how this emergency brake will reduce immigration to the tens of thousands. It is so pointless yet he is making such a big deal about it.
    Quite. It's irrelevant how long it lasts if around a dozen others have to agree to pulling the brake in the first place. Of all the nonsense in this renegotiation this is the worst. We are being taken for utter fools.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

They'll need the emergency summit for lack of confidence in the Euro if what I posted last night comes to pass in March.
  • Options
    "Widow, 92, must return to South Africa after losing deportation battle
    Myrtle Cothill told she must leave her daughter’s care next week and return to her birth country of South Africa, where she has no relatives"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/18/widow-92-return-south-africa-deportation-battle-myrtle-cothill
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

>

Nonsense! French is, of course, the language naturally understood by all cats (as per the correct version of Charles V's little saying) and so is very good for those things that cats like, food, lazing around in comfort and shagging. However, for top-line cursing one needs something harder, more guttural - English is very good but German is probably better (especially with those lovely long compound verbs) but Russian is probably the best (Dutch might be a good second, and with the additional benefit that very few people will understand you).

That is for plain cursing, but for insults one needs something more. A Language rich in alliteration, imagery and metaphor is what is needed. Here I would have thought English reigned supreme and it probably does in the European languages. I am told though by people who know about this stuff that Persian and some of its neighbouring languages are even better.

So, Mr Eagles, you silly English knight, I say "Pah" to you etc ....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

They'll need the emergency summit for lack of confidence in the Euro if what I posted last night comes to pass in March.
    Oh I missed that. what thread was that on?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

Missed that, what was it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @TCPoliticalBetting

Posted response end of last thread but on bb and too tired to repost
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Myrtle Cothill told she must leave her daughter’s care next week and return to her birth country of South Africa, where she has no relatives"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/18/widow-92-return-south-africa-deportation-battle-myrtle-cothill

If she wants to stay she needs to convert to Islam / become a homosexual / commit a crime.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Do you want it or not? French newspaper teabagging Cameron.
    Insert your...gag...here. https://t.co/24JFhjC7mq
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sunil: Remember back to your early teachings. "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the REMAINERS.

Sunil: Good is a point of view, Anakin, er, I mean TSE. The LEAVERS and the REMAINERS are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

TSE: The LEAVERS rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

Sunil: [looking a little frustrated] Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Smithson "the Wise"?

Sunil: I thought not. It's not a story the LibDems would tell you. It's a blogging legend. Darth Smithson was a LibDem blogger who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... AV threads. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying from boredom on Thursday Nights.

TSE: He could do that? He could actually save people from boring themselves to death?

Sunil: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many policy platforms some consider to be unelectable.

Sunil: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice wiped his servers' hard drives while he slept. It's ironic that he could save others from obscurity, but not himself.

That was really rather good, Cap'n Doc. Thank you.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick
    Friday's Daily Mail:
    Face that says it all#tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #euref pic.twitter.com/aRxvukNX2f

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/700445531613634560/photo/1
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    LOL. I believe the vote on the European Arrest Warrant was described as a shambles. Dave keeps making a pigs ear of all things EU.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/700447328625410048
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Yep, but it's a big sounding number isn't it? '13 years'

And the voters are too stupid or uninterested to see through it. Or so the PM and his cheerleaders hope...
  • Options
    I read that Daily Mail headline in an outraged Tunbridge-Wells voice....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

>

Wasn't it Harry Flashman who said that Persian was the most beautiful language ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBy07GaFMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WckiDUODGQ
    The Rubayat is a wonderful poem, though I've never heard it in the original.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What a fcuked up country we have become,to see the scumbags we are letting in and stay.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited February 2016
    Persian is also spoken in Afghanistan (where it is called Dari) and Tajikistan (where it is called Tajik).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language
  • Options

>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBy07GaFMw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WckiDUODGQ
    I think it might well have been Flashman, was it in "Flashman at the Charge"?

As to the in Our Time episode it wasn't the one you mentioned but the one broadcast on 11/2/16 dealing with the poet Rumi.

Thanks for the link to that poetry "broadcast", beautiful stuff.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016
    Are you Abu Hamza's criminal daughter-in-law, then we can't get rid of you, are you a 92 year widow, then on the f##king plane....
  • Options

Persian is also spoken in Afghanistan (where it is called Dari) and Tajikistan (where it is called Tajik).

Is it related to Hindi in any significant way?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That was really rather good, Cap'n Doc. Thank you.
    Ahoy there, Mr Llama, you are welcome!
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Sean_F said:

Well, yes the best modern Labour leader. I don't even like Blair, but I'd say that. Given the various different options, how many are going to say a bunch of flops who couldn't win a GE are better than Blair, who won three? It doesn't mean that they actually like Blair, or that they think they he was a great PM.
    Blair himself, as he is now, is retired and post his political expiry date. However, Blair in his prime was an absolutely formidable politician and if 1990s Blair could be reincarnated in a different body today s/he would still wipe the floor with all comers.

As to whether he was a great Prime Minister, I would say that he personified the mood of his times. The break in the voice, "It is the right thing to do", "pretty straight kind of guy" - that, bullshit and all, is what our age is. He may not have been great but he was exceptional. We won't see someone who connects with the public like that for a very long time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

About 7pm last night - look at the archive on Martin Armstrong's website.

On another note about our courts, Melanie Shaw got a 3 year suspended sentence today. Its an absolute disgrace how she has been treated after blowing the whistle about Beechwood children's home in Nottinghamshire:

https://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2015/02/519439.html
  • Options
    Pew Research
    Latinos in the 2016 Election: Nevada https://t.co/DjP47ieokW https://t.co/5sVuWJZST2
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ, Mandelson on Newsnight now encapsulating all of Remain's problems. Patronising, sneering towards anyone who takes a different view, saying Britain is "too poor and too wee" to survive on its own.
  • Options

>

As to the in Our Time episode it wasn't the one you mentioned but the one broadcast on 11/2/16 dealing with the poet Rumi.

It was 'Flashman at the Charge', IMO perhaps the best of the series.

And thanks for mentioning the 'In Our Time' series - I've never heard of it before but I see there's plenty on YouTube to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=in+our+time
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Well they are both part of the Indo-Iranian group within the Indo-European family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Iranian_languages
  • Options

Am looking forward to going to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in the summer - has anyone got any good tips?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Through the Indo European tree reasonably close but not mutually intelligible in any way I believe.
  • Options
    PM like Oliver Twist.

Arf - good line from Nige.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

On another note about our courts, Melanie Shaw got a 3 year suspended sentence today. Its an absolute disgrace how she has been treated after blowing the whistle about Beechwood children's home in Nottinghamshire:

I really can't believe anyone with an IQ would link to that website. Have you looked at it?
  • Options
    I'd rather watch the last act of 2009 Star Trek on Film4 than QT...

Serenity starts at 11.50, however
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    "3 million jobs" has become a joke phrase judging by the Question Time audience reaction to June Sarpong.
  • Options

"3 million jobs" has become a joke phrase judging by the Question Time audience reaction to June Sarpong.

What happened?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Blair himself, as he is now, is retired and post his political expiry date. However, Blair in his prime was an absolutely formidable politician and if 1990s Blair could be reincarnated in a different body today s/he would still wipe the floor with all comers.

As to whether he was a great Prime Minister, I would say that he personified the mood of his times. The break in the voice, "It is the right thing to do", "pretty straight kind of guy" - that, bullshit and all, is what our age is. He may not have been great but he was exceptional. We won't see someone who connects with the public like that for a very long time.
    I think Blair was a good politician (especially, it seems in the 1990s), but overall a pretty poor PM. His successors probably won't be remembered as anything remarkable, and are mediocre politicians.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Do we still have a This Week today? Parliament is in recess, so no Daily Politics this week.
  • Options
    Roger said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

I really can't believe anyone with an IQ would link to that website. Have you looked at it?
    Some of the language is rather crude I grant you, but the secret family courts are one of the worst aspects of Britain in 2016 and all of the abuse of children that goes with it.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

What happened?
    She got shown up by Theo Paphitis
  • Options
    RobD said:

Do we still have a This Week today? Parliament is in recess, so no Daily Politics this week.
    Something called: "Professor Green suicide and me"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Jeering as soon as she started to say '3 mill...'. The audience seems strongly for Leave.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited February 2016
    welshowl said:

MP_SE said:

Faisal Islam

Quite. It's irrelevant how long it lasts if around a dozen others have to agree to pulling the brake in the first place. Of all the nonsense in this renegotiation this is the worst. We are being taken for utter fools.
    And if the brake is to last longer, then the greater the likelihood that it will never get that approval to be applied in the first place.

And I assume the much vaunted but now hardly-ever-mentioned "red card" is now widely accepted - even by our side - to be worthless?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nope, just looked. Was staying up for that too, tonight's QT panel is very 2nd division (my Nandy betslip notwithstanding).
  • Options

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Just went on Twitter. Looks like she tried the old 3 million jobs lie. Iain Begg must be getting really annoyed with how his research has been twisted to suit the Eurofanatic agenda.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    hunchman said:

Roger said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

Two other scenarios:

Some of the language is rather crude I grant you, but the secret family courts are one of the worst aspects of Britain in 2016 and all of the abuse of children that goes with it.
    "Nottingham is run by filthy people" Get a grip!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Jeering as soon as she started to say '3 mill...'. The audience seems strongly for Leave.
    Would be funny if 3 million jobs were lost
  • Options

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Every time Remain peddle that utter cr*p is more voters deserting for the leave camp.
  • Options
    Perhaps June should stick to helping Jesse Ventura investigate his conspiracy theories....
  • Options
    Watching QT on catchup, this is a glorious roasting from Theo to June.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Just went on Twitter. Looks like she tried the old 3 million jobs lie. Iain Begg must be getting really annoyed with how his research has been twisted to suit the Eurofanatic agenda.
    Theo came back with the five million EU jobs depend on us, Sarpong is a ludicrous fool
  • Options
    ABC
    US airstrikes destroy $500,000,000 in ISIS cash reserves in Iraq and Syria: https://t.co/HBf1AY3Up7 https://t.co/53uXTQ4910
  • Options
    Is Sarpong an undercover agent for Leave?
  • Options

>

It was 'Flashman at the Charge', IMO perhaps the best of the series.

And thanks for mentioning the 'In Our Time' series - I've never heard of it before but I see there's plenty on YouTube to listen to:

Flashman at the Charge the best of the series? Not so sure about that; it is certainly very good and a lot better than some of the others. However, I reckon "Flashman in the Great Game" beat its by several lengths and "Flashman and the Dragon" noses it back into third place.

As for the the "In Our Time" programme, it is superb. The Thursday morning 45 minute edition (not the cut down repeat on Saturday evening) is, as I say, worth the Licence Fee all on its own. Even when the topic is not something I would normally be interested in (e.g. an obscure 13th century Persian poet) The format of the programme manages to grab my attention and I cannot help but learn.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2016
    Lisa Nandy has pretty okay on QT so far.
  • Options
    Roger said:

hunchman said:

Roger said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

I see 2 scenarios.

minimum period.

"Nottingham is run by filthy people" Get a grip!!!
    I have friends in the area who have informed me about the goings on there. You should do some research, and you'd be shocked by what you find. Had you even heard of the Melanie Shaw case before tonight?
  • Options
    Mark Wallace ‏@wallaceme 5m5 minutes ago
    Dimbleby now reduced to begging the audience for Remain contributions #bbcqt
  • Options
    I feel like Stuart Rose and June Sarpong are on a joint-mission in this campaign to show why we should leave the Politics to the Professional Politicians.
  • Options

Perhaps June should stick to helping Jesse Ventura investigate his conspiracy theories....

Lol. Maybe she can kickstart her "career" by doing a UK show with David Icke.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Christ, Mandelson on Newsnight now encapsulating all of Remain's problems. Patronising, sneering towards anyone who takes a different view, saying Britain is "too poor and too wee" to survive on its own.

Twas ever thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Z6ODjfj2I
  • Options
    June Sarpong is giving me so much second-hand embarrassment right now. Someone tell her to stop, please.
  • Options

ABC
    US airstrikes destroy $500,000,000 in ISIS cash reserves in Iraq and Syria: https://t.co/HBf1AY3Up7 https://t.co/53uXTQ4910

Somebody is going to be for the high jump...or rather a beheading. No new Rolex for the top man.
  • Options

ABC

I wonder if this is how the Bank of England will reverse quantitive easing, whenever that happens :p
  • Options
    This SNP guy seems seriously impressive IMO.
  • Options
    Matt is superb

Ding dong https://t.co/lTNCOAPrXI
  • Options
    If the three million jobs claim is now widely derided for the myth it is, Remain campaigners could go back to one of these dodgy claims mentioned by Spectator.

"It has been making two main claims: that EU membership is worth £3,000 a year per household and saves the average person £450 a year through lower prices. One source is supposedly a 2013 ‘study’ by the Confederation of British Industry — which turns out not to be a study, but an exercise in cherry-picking other pieces of research. The £450 figure can be traced to a European Commission publication, which, in turn, came from a American paper called ‘Globalisation and the Gains from Variety’ — an attempt to quantify the benefits of -globalisation to American, not European, consumers."
  • Options

welshowl said:

MP_SE said:

Faisal Islam

And if the brake is to last longer, then the greater the likelihood that it will never get that approval to be applied in the first place.

And I assume the much vaunted but now hardly-ever-mentioned "red card" is now widely accepted - even by our side - to be worthless?
    When fancy names start getting used - 'emergency brake', 'red card' - you know there's no substance behind the style.
  • Options
    Yikes, David Dimbleby just BURNT the SNP on Trump.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Be careful what you wish for once the global sovereign debt crisis gets underway
  • Options
    How did June Sarpong get picked by remain campaign. Did they just put up first black woman they could find to appeal to "the ethnics"??
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yes, he was very good on This Week a while back too. One of the best of the new SNP intake. Law of averages, I suppose, they can't all be under investigation...
  • Options

How did June Sarpong get picked by remain campaign. Did they just put up first black woman they could find to appeal to "the ethnics"??

She's the ex-girlfriend of Mastermind champ David Lammy.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Yes, he was very good on This Week a while back too. One of the best of the new SNP intake. Law of averages, I suppose, they can't all be under investigation...
    John Nicolson? Yeah, I quite enjoyed his appearance a few weeks ago, and he's been on the Daily Politics a couple of times. I suspect he'll be back :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ooops, Serenity starts at 11.30 tonight.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Wanderer said:

MP_SE said:

What happened?
    Be careful what you wish for once the global sovereign debt crisis gets underway
    You were saying it was "utter cr*p" at 11.05 pm.
  • Options

She's the ex-girlfriend of Mastermind champ David Lammy.
    I thought you were joking. You weren't!
  • Options
    CON GAIN (from LD)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects
    Amersham Town (Chiltern) result:
    CON: 50.2% (+11.6)
    LDEM: 36.3% (+3.3)
    UKIP: 6.9% (-7.4)
    LAB: 6.6% (-7.6)
  • Options

CON GAIN (from LD)