Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » REMAIN leads drops by 10% in first post-Tusk talks EURef ph

Comments

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    AnneJGP said:

Wanderer said:

hunchman said:

Thank goodness for the total failure of this ghastly law:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3447931/Denmark-s-controversial-new-law-forcing-migrants-hand-cash-jewellery-didn-t-raise-single-penny-week.html

Many people worldwide are losing confidence in their governments. Its not quite show time yet, but the moment where a critical mass of people lose confidence is coming, possibly the first half of 2017. And with measures like this, its hardly surprising.

Surely the point of the law was not to raise money but to make Denmark look like a relatively unattractive destination for refugees. It's far too early to say whether it's succeeded. Actually confiscating anything might not be necessary. The threat may be enough.
    Whatever the intent behind it, a law like that should never have got off the starting blocks. There's always a possibility another government may not have the same scruples about implementing it.
    I entirely agree. I'm just saying that one shouldn't console oneself that has failed.
  • Options
    Who would vote 'Out'

Chris Grayling - Leader of the House of Commons
    Iain Duncan Smith - Work and Pensions Secretary
    Priti Patel - Employment Minister
    Theresa Villiers - Northern Ireland Secretary
    John Whittingdale - Culture Secretary

Who's on the fence?

Sajid Javid - Business Secretary
    Michael Gove - Justice Secretary
    Theresa May - Home Secretary
    Boris Johnson - Mayor of London/Political Cabinet
    Liz Truss - Environment Secretary
    Michael Fallon - Defence Secretary
    Justine Greening - International Development Secretary

Who would vote 'In'

David Cameron - Prime Minister
    George Osborne - Chancellor
    Philip Hammond - Foreign Secretary
    Stephen Crabb - Welsh Secretary
    Amber Rudd - Energy Secretary
    Greg Clarke - Communities Secretary
    Mark Harper - Chief Whip
    Anna Soubry - Minister for Small Business
    Nicky Morgan - Education Secretary
    Patrick McLouglin - Transport Secretary
    Jeremy Hunt - Health Secretary
    Oliver Letwin - Cabinet Office Minister
    Matthew Hancock - Cabinet Office Minister

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12158702/David-Cameron-set-to-call-EU-referendum-on-Friday-after-backing-down-over-Cabinet-gag.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

...said London's status as Europe's financial hub would not be threatened by an exit because there was no "plausible alternative in the western hemisphere"...

I keep forgetting London's status is underwritten by God, and that business cannot possibly go somewhere else because it's still 1650 and we can only travel by mule.

[edt: unfuck tags]
    Absolutely, London as a financial centre is as safe as the Birmingham motorcycle industry or the Lancashire cotton trade.
    Of course it isn't safe and nor does it have a God- given right to exist. The question is whether its chances of surviving and thriving as an honest, well run and well regulated sector are better in the EU under Cameron's new deal and subject to the rules of the ECB and QMV by eurozone states or outside.

Honest, well run and well regulated?

Cyclefree, you know how to tell a joke...
    See my later post. This is what it should be. Change is beginning to happen - very slowly and far far too late - in banks here. It has not even begun in European banks, most of whom have not even owned up properly to the levels of non-performing assets on their books. I would not trust the accounts of most European banks as far as I could throw them. And yet you think that Italian and German politicians and regulators should have the final say on regulating our industry. It's a point of view, I suppose.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,386
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

...said London's status as Europe's financial hub would not be threatened by an exit because there was no "plausible alternative in the western hemisphere"...

I keep forgetting London's status is underwritten by God, and that business cannot possibly go somewhere else because it's still 1650 and we can only travel by mule.

Absolutely, London as a financial centre is as safe as the Birmingham motorcycle industry or the Lancashire cotton trade.
    Of course it isn't safe and nor does it have a God- given right to exist. The question is whether its chances of surviving and thriving as an honest, well run and well regulated sector are better in the EU under Cameron's new deal and subject to the rules of the ECB and QMV by eurozone states or outside.

I'm not an expert on the City and am not knowledgable about the City stuff you and others have discussed tonight, so I'll take what you're saying on trust.

However, I do need to point out that I cracked up laughing when I read "honest, well run and well regulated". :)
    It needs to be that - even if it isn't now.

Good luck to you if you think that having Italian politicians and regulators involved in making the rules for the UK will be an improvement. Italy is a country where the securities regulator had to take enforcement action against the governor of the Bank of Italy in relation to his dubious involvement in a highly contested bank takeover.

Large German banks are virtually unregulatable and BaFin, the German regulator, is one of the weakest around. That leaves France: a country once described as being like Italy but without Italian magistrates. See also BNParibas and how it got fined by the US over sanctions busting and money-laundering. Even the French government didn't try hard to defend it.
    Whoah. I don't often disagree with you, but BNP did something totally legal in France. It just happened to be in US dollars. I thought they were treated disgracefully.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/699366188435050496

My sources in the popcorn industry are telling me they are reaching a tipping point (as it were) in global corn supplies.
    @OliverCooper: "The student left in Oxford have some kind of problem with Jews." The Chair of Oxford Uni Labour resigns in disgust. https://t.co/lyi5u8dqLP
    Not the same issue, but when you consider how highly-sought-after places at Oxford are, it seems very odd that many of the people who've managed to get there want to change it into something different.
  • Options

Labour just sign up to everything from inside the EEA. Just how dim do you have to be to miss all that. Talk about pissing into the wind! The eu is not going to go away it will still exert sn influence and if it becomes more monolithic it will exert a stronger one.
    Glorious isolation is not an optipn.

Er they can't. Once again you show your utter lack of understanding of what EEA membership means. EEA involvement with the EU is limited to single market issues and nothing more. Even if they wanted to Labour could not commit us to any of the other areas of EU competancy without us rejoining the EU.

You really are the most willfully ignorant poster on PB.

Ahem.

I recommend Googling:

Norway Schengen
    Norway EU Emissions Trading System
    Norway European Asylum Support Office

You might then care to apologise to @flightpath01
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,639
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

I'm not an expert on the City and am not knowledgable about the City stuff you and others have discussed tonight, so I'll take what you're saying on trust.

However, I do need to point out that I cracked up laughing when I read "honest, well run and well regulated". :)

Good luck to you if you think that having Italian politicians and regulators involved in making the rules for the UK will be an improvement. Italy is a country where the securities regulator had to take enforcement action against the governor of the Bank of Italy in relation to his dubious involvement in a highly contested bank takeover.

Large German banks are virtually unregulatable and BaFin, the German regulator, is one of the weakest around. That leaves France: a country once described as being like Italy but without Italian magistrates. See also BNParibas and how it got fined by the US over sanctions busting and money-laundering. Even the French government didn't try hard to defend it.
    The performance of HSBC was nothing to write home about either. This story still stuns me: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214

The German reinsurance market is one of the few financial sectors in the EU that has stood up to London.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I just had a dozen oysters at Sheekeys, then their famous smoked haddock frittata, with two bottles of fine Chablis, before watching the truly brilliant production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane - all in the company of my giggling nine year old daughter Lucy and her best friend Florence.

They loved it. I loved it. That's it, right there. Happiness.

You can't beat Caprice Group Holdings
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,311
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

As I said, I don't know enough about the City to assess the veracity or otherwise of what you speak: in the absence of knowledge of my own I'm willing to take what you say on trust. My original point was that Tosca's contention (that there is no plausible alternative) is prima facie risible.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Interesting juxtaposition
    SCOTLAND is poised to go into debt for the first time in more than three centuries after the SNP Government indicated that it is preparing to use borrowing powers for the first time.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14277305.Swinney_poised_to_lead_Scotland_into_debt_for_first_time_since_1707/?ref=twtrec

Meanwhile

@George_Osborne: This pm we held first formal meeting of Commissioners for Reduction of National Debt in 150 years. See history here: https://t.co/o8dWKmayqY
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Whoah. I don't often disagree with you, but BNP did something totally legal in France. It just happened to be in US dollars. I thought they were treated disgracefully.
    Standard Chartered were done for sanctions busting by the USA too, and also has a fistful of dodgy assets.

When the house prices drop, and the financial tide goes out we shall find out who has no costume on!
  • Options
    hunchman said:
    Anyone who thinks that either economics or politics works with such clockwork precision has no idea what they're talking about. I particularly liked his effort to shoehorn 1762 in as the start of the American Revolution, as if it was (1) a great revolutionary year, (2) related to global economic long cycles rather than the SevenYears War, and(3) far more significant than, say, 1775/6, or 1789.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

They were repeatedly warned over the years that they were facilitating the financing of terrorism by failing to take appropriate action to tighten up their money laundering procedures. And they ignored those warnings. If they didn't want to be caught by US laws they shouldn't have used the US's currency to do what they were doing. They ignored the warnings because it was too profitable for them. The French government did not strive hard to defend them. And Paribas were treated no worse than other banks which breached US laws.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

I just had a dozen oysters at Sheekeys, then their famous smoked haddock frittata, with two bottles of fine Chablis, before watching the truly brilliant production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane - all in the company of my giggling nine year old daughter Lucy and her best friend Florence.

I think Sheekeys is quite possible my favourite restaurant in the universe. And I do go to a few. Their oysters are amazing. But the atmos makes it, the conviviality of the oyster bar pre-theatre is just FAB.

And I have visited every oyster bar in London (and plenty further afield) in the last decade.

Sheekeys have nailed it.
    It's good, but I (personally) think Le Caprice is their best restaurant.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They were repeatedly warned over the years that they were facilitating the financing of terrorism by failing to take appropriate action to tighten up their money laundering procedures. And they ignored those warnings. If they didn't want to be caught by US laws they shouldn't have used the US's currency to do what they were doing. They ignored the warnings because it was too profitable for them. The French government did not strive hard to defend them. And Paribas were treated no worse than other banks which breached US laws.

Nevertheless, what they did was completely legal where it was done.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    Scott_P said:

Interesting juxtaposition

SCOTLAND is poised to go into debt for the first time in more than three centuries after the SNP Government indicated that it is preparing to use borrowing powers for the first time.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14277305.Swinney_poised_to_lead_Scotland_into_debt_for_first_time_since_1707/?ref=twtrec

Meanwhile

@George_Osborne: This pm we held first formal meeting of Commissioners for Reduction of National Debt in 150 years. See history here: https://t.co/o8dWKmayqY

More "Borrow and Spend" than "Tax and Spend".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,357
  • Options

Labour just sign up to everything from inside the EEA. Just how dim do you have to be to miss all that. Talk about pissing into the wind! The eu is not going to go away it will still exert sn influence and if it becomes more monolithic it will exert a stronger one.

Er they can't. Once again you show your utter lack of understanding of what EEA membership means. EEA involvement with the EU is limited to single market issues and nothing more. Even if they wanted to Labour could not commit us to any of the other areas of EU competancy without us rejoining the EU.

Ahem.

I recommend Googling:

Norway Schengen

Us joining the EFTA part of the EEA would fundamentally change it. We would have about 80% of its population and 2/3 or so of its economy. It would be like inviting a grizzly bear to a teddy bears picnic and expecting no spillage.

• Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

I think Sheekeys is quite possible my favourite restaurant in the universe. And I do go to a few. Their oysters are amazing. But the atmos makes it, the conviviality of the oyster bar pre-theatre is just FAB.

And I have visited every oyster bar in London (and plenty further afield) in the last decade.

Sheekeys have nailed it.
    I love the Caprice, but I adore oysters even more. Hence, perhaps, my preference.
    I work next to Caprice, so I'm biased.

There's not a bad restaurant in the Caprice stable. (Ironically the most famous, the Ivy, is probably the worst.)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ronnie O'Sullivan criticised after turning down 'too cheap' 147 at Welsh Open

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/35581281
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

The Tom Hayes defence, I see! Sorry - no - they used the US banking system and thus brought themselves within US jurisdiction.

• Options
    @Cyclefree

How would you feel about the Eurozone saying that things that involved Euros in London were subject to EU laws?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

The Tom Hayes defence, I see! Sorry - no - they used the US banking system and thus brought themselves within US jurisdiction.

My understanding was that they used US dollars. That's not quite the same thing
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Night all.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Big fan of Sheekey's myself - top service.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Sheekeys have nailed it.
    I love the Caprice, but I adore oysters even more. Hence, perhaps, my preference.

There's not a bad restaurant in the Caprice stable. (Ironically the most famous, the Ivy, is probably the worst.)
    Agreed. I like the Ivy, but it suffers in comparison.
    Do you know The Club at the Ivy?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    HYUFD said:
    He's been misunderestimated xD
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Cyclefree

How would you feel about the Eurozone saying that things that involved Euros in London were subject to EU laws?

How would such laws be arrived at? Unanimity or QMV?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Gravis GOP South Carolina
    Trump 37
    Cruz 23
    Rubio 19
    Jeb 9
    http://www.oann.com/pollsc/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

@Cyclefree

How would such laws be arrived at? Unanimity or QMV?
    My point is that we don't get to regulate the use if Sterling outside the UK.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Sorry to hark back to the previous thread but Richard N there's not a cat in hell's chance that Hunt will get his way with the new contract without major disruption.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Jeb coulda just given me the money, I'd have put it to better use!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016

Us joining the EFTA part of the EEA would fundamentally change it. We would have about 80% of its population and 2/3 or so of its economy. It would be like inviting a grizzly bear to a teddy bears picnic and expecting no spillage.

This is true, and it's an important consideration for those who think we could just sign up to the EEA (as a non-EU member) without bothering to ask the 30 other countries for their views on the matter. In practice, I'm sure there would have to be some tailoring of the EEA treaties if we were to take that route; as well as our sheer size as an economy, there's the dominance of the City in Europe. However, I'm sure all that could be negotiated relatively quickly (say a couple of years), using the existing EEA agreement as a basis.

The particular point I was addressing was Richard T's bizarre and gratuitously rude post regarding an EEA state opting-in to EU competences outside the EEA agreement. Of course they can do so, if both sides agree, as in Schengen.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

hunchman said:
    Anyone who thinks that either economics or politics works with such clockwork precision has no idea what they're talking about. I particularly liked his effort to shoehorn 1762 in as the start of the American Revolution, as if it was (1) a great revolutionary year, (2) related to global economic long cycles rather than the SevenYears War, and(3) far more significant than, say, 1775/6, or 1789.
    I'll let this article from the insitute of American History do the talking, ok 1 year out at 1763:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era/essays/american-revolution-1763–1783
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

My understanding was that they used US dollars. That's not quite the same thing
    Not my understanding. One reason why part of the penalty was that they were shut out of the US payments system for a period of time, a pretty severe penalty and not one which has been imposed on other banks. Paribas really pissed off the US and the clue is in the terrorist financing link, one reason why the French government, after some token chest-beating, kept very quiet and left Paribas to take their punishment.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Yep, all the classic Dubya lines there, Laura and Lindsey Graham looking on
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Sorry to hark back to the previous thread but Richard N there's not a cat in hell's chance that Hunt will get his way with the new contract without major disruption.

I'm sure half of the junior doctors are packing their bags as we speak.
  • Options

Ronnie O'Sullivan criticised after turning down 'too cheap' 147 at Welsh Open

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/35581281

It was a brilliant protest. More people are talking about it on twitter than if he had scored a 14th 147. Mr Hearn wasn't too happy though! The analogy Ronnie drew with a 3k Mercedes was pretty good I thought!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SCHouse Post debate South Carolina GOP poll
    Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4lhKxf9pMitY1A1OExNSnNrNmM/view
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Trump will just run the tables if thats the result.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    All the polls (online and phone) show a reduction in REMAIN lead OR Increase in LEAVE lead.

And, as I previously mentioned, there are no events in the pipeline that could persuade people onto the REMAIN side, but plenty the other way. Mike has finally cottoned on to this!

And the latest news is the Europe MEPs could vote down the terms of the negotiation for remaining in the EU AFTER the referendum, if it is held in June. Who in their right mind is going to buy such a pig in a poke. They've let the cat out of the bag.
  • Options
    George W Bush sounds incredibly reasonable, measured and moderate in this speech. Just shows how off the wall crazily right wing the GOP race is this year.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

It would be a no-change result, leaving all five front-runners still in the race.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

It would be a no-change result, leaving all five front-runners still in the race.
    Just what Trump needs !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Yes looks like he is going to get a big win on Saturday
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just what Trump needs !

True.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    BBC Newsnight ✔ @BBCNewsnight
    "We've taken a decision that we have been pro-European" Emma Reynolds MP on Lab not to debate IN/OUT intra-party

BBC Newsnight ✔ @BBCNewsnight
    "Several" EU OUTers in shadow cabinet: according to Eurosceptic Labour donor John Mills #Newsnight #EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Close for second though. Cruz @ 1.46 not looking great on that poll!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

48% was the figure not taking up junior doctor posts after completing the mandatory F2 year. So about half was correct before imposition. It will be worse this August.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/Nearly_half_of_trainees_chose_not_to_progress_straight_to_specialty_training_in_2015
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

George W Bush sounds incredibly reasonable, measured and moderate in this speech. Just shows how off the wall crazily right wing the GOP race is this year.

Like I've said many times before, poor economic times lead to radical politics on left and right, good economic times lead to everyone converging on the centre ground. Economics drives politics, not the other way around as history all too clearly demonstrates.
  • Options
    Dubya has a little dig at Trump, 'the strongest man in the room is not always the loudest' and then welcomes Jeb on stage
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/2553565088001/jeb-bush-holds-a-rally-with-pres-george-w-bush-in-north-charleston-sc/?#sp=watch-live
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,594
    edited February 2016
    MP_SE said:

I wonder what some well known former NCCL employees think of this.
    You couldn't make this shit up....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dubya has a little dig at Trump, 'the strongest man in the room is not always the loudest' and then welcomes Jeb on stage
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/2553565088001/jeb-bush-holds-a-rally-with-pres-george-w-bush-in-north-charleston-sc/?#sp=watch-live

His version of IDS the quiet man 'turning up the volume' then. We all saw how well that one worked out!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

W is a better speaker.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

His version of IDS the quiet man 'turning up the volume' then. We all saw how well that one worked out!
    Yes I thought back to that one too.
  • Options

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

48% was the figure not taking up junior doctor posts after completing the mandatory F2 year. So about half was correct before imposition. It will be worse this August.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/Nearly_half_of_trainees_chose_not_to_progress_straight_to_specialty_training_in_2015
    Let me rephrase myself. Half of current junior doctors. ;)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Do you know what % quit the medical profession for good?
  • Options
    Jeb Bush is such a wonk. Real touch of the Ed Miliband about him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

F2 doctors are current junior doctors, and not part of the pay protection in Hunt's scheme. I suspect retention will be about 40% or so.
  • Options
    Likely Republican presidential primary voters were selected at random from a list of registered
    voters based on party participation and registration date. Household ages and locations were
    extracted as well from this list. In excess of 40,000 households were called over the duration
    of the poll.

1300 respondents, 40,000 households called - why do British polls never put down the number of contacts made to get the respondent no ?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

F2 doctors are current junior doctors, and not part of the pay protection in Hunt's scheme. I suspect retention will be about 40% or so.
    How can they be junior doctors if the figure was for those "not taking up junior doctor posts"? :p
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

I think Labour votes would be needed to get a EEA bill through the Commons as there would be some number of Conservative ultras who would see it as a betrayal (EU by the backdoor etc). Labour would presumably exact a price for their support and some mechanism would have to be found. EEA membership plus some protocol that committed us to the social chapter or something? It would be the pro-EEA faction that would have to get creative and find a way to meet Labour's price. Otherwise they just sit on their hands and laugh as the Tories leave one European organisation and fail to agree to join another.
    I suspect there are enough Labour MPs right now who would vote for EFTA membership even if it meant defying their own party leadership.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Its an increasing one, but hard to measure accuratly. If someone disappears off the medical register it may well be quitting the profession rather than quitting our shores.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Yes, between Cruz, Rubio and Bush for second it seems
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

W is a better speaker.
    Yes though there is more depth to what Jeb is saying, even if he is dull as dishwater
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

How can they be junior doctors if the figure was for those "not taking up junior doctor posts"? :p
    Its a breakpoint in the career structure. The first two years are Foundation training (F1 and F2) and both are mandatory for UK practice.

The next set of jobs are the CT or ST posts that train specialists or GPs. It looks like only about 50% stay in training at this point. It was 73% as recently as 2013. It is a pretty major retention crisis, and worth noting is that these are the 2015 figures, pre-dating the current row.
  • Options
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbSc5EdWAAEEGMp.jpg

Looks like Squeaky Osborne has got lucky again.
  • Options
    Good night all....one further day on towards the collapse of confidence in governments worldwide coming soon in 2017.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

I think Labour votes would be needed to get a EEA bill through the Commons as there would be some number of Conservative ultras who would see it as a betrayal (EU by the backdoor etc). Labour would presumably exact a price for their support and some mechanism would have to be found. EEA membership plus some protocol that committed us to the social chapter or something? It would be the pro-EEA faction that would have to get creative and find a way to meet Labour's price. Otherwise they just sit on their hands and laugh as the Tories leave one European organisation and fail to agree to join another.
    I suspect there are enough Labour MPs right now who would vote for EFTA membership even if it meant defying their own party leadership.
    There may be Labour MPs who would favour EFTA membership but is there a single one who would favour it over the pleasure of seeing the Tories squirming on a hook?
  • Options
    This popped up from somewhere, and is quite fascinating

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/japanese-gambler-donald-trump-213635

Thanks to Speedy for mentioning Trump and Japan a few days ago.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Just had a nibble of Jeb at 9
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Its an increasing one, but hard to measure accuratly. If someone disappears off the medical register it may well be quitting the profession rather than quitting our shores.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

So Outsider track (Trump) 32.7; Evangelist track (Cruz) 13.9; Establishment track 37.2; Carson 5.8.

I very much doubt Carson's rump vote will go either to Trump (they will already have jumped ship) or Cruz (Carson now hates Cruz). If they just don't vote, that leaves the Establishment in the lead once they get their act together.

This is going to be a long contest.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,339
    Does anyone have a timetable of Republican Primaries which also shows which are "Winner Takes All" states for delegates?

Reason I ask is surely the key now is whether Trump can build a big delegate lead before the Establishment candidates are reduced to one.

But you can only build a big delegate lead relatively early on (say after 15 states) by winning Winner Takes All states.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

So Outsider track (Trump) 32.7; Evangelist track (Cruz) 13.9; Establishment track 37.2; Carson 5.8.

I very much doubt Carson's rump vote will go either to Trump (they will already have jumped ship) or Cruz (Carson now hates Cruz). If they just don't vote, that leaves the Establishment in the lead once they get their act together.

That's an interesting perspective and I hope your right. It's way too entertaining to end any time soon.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Averages of polls conducted this year:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Does anyone have a timetable of Republican Primaries which also shows which are "Winner Takes All" states for delegates?

Reason I ask is surely the key now is whether Trump can build a big delegate lead before the Establishment candidates are reduced to one.

But you can only build a big delegate lead relatively early on (say after 15 states) by winning Winner Takes All states.

The wiki has a table, although is filed with quite a lot of information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MikeL said:

In the end it is likely to be Cruz v Trump anyway but WTA really becomes the norm from March 15th (including Florida)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Sheekeys have nailed it.

Doesn't The Economist have their offices in that area?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Cruz is actually most Republicans' second choice, 24% choose him, 14% Rubio, 12% Trump
    https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/12/28/trump-still-ahead-cruz-gains/
  • Options

Ahem.

I recommend Googling:

Norway Schengen

Ahem yourself.

I suggest you look at what I wrote since I was very careful with my wording:

"Labour could not commit us to any of the other areas of EU competency without us rejoining the EU"

Notice that word 'commit'.

All of those agreements you mention - and many more - are voluntary and can be withdrawn from if there is a change of government with a different view. None of them are prerequisites of EEA membership and then either the EEA nor the EU can stop Norway withdrawing from them - unlike anything agreed under EU law from which we do not have a specific opt out./

So I suggest you crawl back under your rock and join Flightpath in trying to learn something about how the EU/EEA work so you don't make yourself look quite so bloody stupid next time.

• Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 32.7% (-1.8)
    Rubio 14.0% (+1.5)
    Cruz 13.9% (-1.6)
    Bush 13.4% (+0.4)
    Kasich 9.8% (+1.3)
    Carson 5.8%

Just had a nibble of Jeb at 9
    Well not worth any shorter than that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

In the end it is likely to be Cruz v Trump anyway but WTA really becomes the norm from March 15th (including Florida)
    Florida could have the most almighty battle for 3rd place :)
  • Options

This is true, and it's an important consideration for those who think we could just sign up to the EEA (as a non-EU member) without bothering to ask the 30 other countries for their views on the matter. In practice, I'm sure there would have to be some tailoring of the EEA treaties if we were to take that route; as well as our sheer size as an economy, there's the dominance of the City in Europe. However, I'm sure all that could be negotiated relatively quickly (say a couple of years), using the existing EEA agreement as a basis.

The particular point I was addressing was Richard T's bizarre and gratuitously rude post regarding an EEA state opting-in to EU competences outside the EEA agreement. Of course they can do so, if both sides agree, as in Schengen.
    Read my reply. As always you were utterly wrong. Not that I expect you to admit it. After all you are wrong so often that you probably don't even notice it these days.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,311
    AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

You averaged time-dependent data over time? That's like saying I averaged a centenarian's age over the century and on average he was 50 years old: it's true, but it's not helpful.

Sorry, I'm in nitpicky mode.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

SC is the only winner takes all before 15 March, when the rest are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Florida could have the most almighty battle for 3rd place :)
    Yes, if Jeb has not already bowed out by then it could kill off both his and Rubio's campaigns if Trump wins it!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

You averaged time-dependent data over time? That's like saying I averaged a centenarian's age over the century and on average he was 50 years old: it's true, but it's not helpful.

Don't see what your point is. Only a finite number of polls were conducted so far this year.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MikeL said:

Is Georgia? getting plastered with ads yet ?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

I'm in a good mood because I thought I'd had my laptop stolen from the luggage room of a London hotel and I've just discovered that I haven't lost it after all.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Its a breakpoint in the career structure. The first two years are Foundation training (F1 and F2) and both are mandatory for UK practice.

The next set of jobs are the CT or ST posts that train specialists or GPs. It looks like only about 50% stay in training at this point. It was 73% as recently as 2013. It is a pretty major retention crisis, and worth noting is that these are the 2015 figures, pre-dating the current row.
    The solution might be to make the F1 and F2 positions unpaid, with bursaries available and use the money saved to increase salaries above this grade.
  • Options
    Damn, Jim Gilmore suspended his campaign on Feb 12th :()
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

If changes in opinion are slow, then it is a valid approach
  • Options
    "Corbyn is a Hokey Cokey European. He claims to be “In”, but really he’s “Out”. So over the next few months we’re going to see him shaking it all about. "

Hodges: no idea if he's right but he raised a chuckle anyhow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12158633/Why-Jeremy-Corbyn-could-privately-support-Brexit.html

btw as an overseas voter, do you reckon i get a vote in this referendum?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

MikeL said:

Is Georgia? getting plastered with ads yet ?
    Wrong Tim (that's TimB). I'm in MD
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

Not sure that a 10% change between two polls can be interpreted as a slow change though.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 44%
    Leave 41%

Not sure that a 10% change between two polls can be interpreted as a slow change though.
    Measurement noise ;)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,066
    edited February 2016
    MP_SE said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

The number replying as "left the profession" was 0.3%.

"The remaining trainees had taken a non-service role such as anatomy demonstrator (5.5%), taken a locum appointment for training in the UK (0.5%), or had left the profession (0.3%)"

The rest of the 2015 numbers are:

Straight to speciality training: 52.0%
    Seeking employment as a doctor in the UK: 8.6%.
    Non-training (service) role in the UK: 9.2%
    Career break (travelling, charity I guess): 13.1%
    Appointment outside UK: 6%
    Seeking Appointment outside UK: 4.3%
    Speciality training outside UK: 0.4%

So it looks like we lost just over 10% for however long they stay overseas, and have just over 70% in employment or training in the UK, which will turn into 80% when the career-breakers return.

The survey should be good, as "The survey received 7168 responses from 7533 foundation doctors who were due to complete their foundation training in August 2015, a 95% response rate."

From my BMA-o-sceptic viewpoint, I think that reinforces the point that this is not an existential crisis and the BMA are massively overplaying their hand propaganda-wise, even if there is a valid point smoewhere underneath.

The straight to speciality training numbers have fallen from 71.6% in 2011, but that was the year of the fees Cleggasm, and I would need to see 10 years of numbers, *and* the details of how the make up of the NHS is changing (eg specialist nurses have far more scope now, especially in GP surgeries).

This discussion has been closed.