Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Doctors dispute: Betting opens on whether Hunt will sur

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''If Deutsche Bank goes down, it will go down in the same way RBS did, only with the German taxpayer bailing it out rather than the UK one.''
    Its not clear to me what is really threatening DB's viability. I read the term 'litigation' bandied around a lot, surely the regulators can't be fining their way into a financial crisis?

It's unlikely :lol:

More seriously, Deutsche Bank's problems are mostly that it tried to "play with the big boys" in investment banking, and has a huge cost base. What Deutsche Bank does not have is a very large number of underwater loans.

Total loans outstanding are EUR433bn. The company has shareholders equity of EUR69bn.

That's barely levered by the standards of most banks. Northern Rock, RBS and the like were levered 50-1 or more, Deutsche Bank's leverage is less than a fifth of that.

And the Germans don't owe very much money. Germany household debt is something like 55% of GDP. On the St Louis Fed numbers, that's the lowest in the developed world. (We, by the way, are on a scary 180+%). Corporate debt has declined since 2007, by roughly a quarter too. There's relatively little exposure to oil & gas or mining companies too.

So, while Deutsche Bank has a great many problems, in particular in terms of spending a lot of money to hire people to compete with Goldman, Morgan Stanley and the like, it would appear to be very far from insolvent.
    Credit Suisse Group AG plunged to a 27-year low as a selloff across the industry compounded doubts about Chief Executive Officer Tidjane Thiam’s restructuring plans.
    A rout in bank stocks deepened on Thursday after France’s Societe Generale SA missed fourth-quarter profit estimates, with earnings declining 35 percent at the investment bank. Credit Suisse shares dropped as much as 9 percent, before trading at 12.39 Swiss francs, down 7.8 percent at 5:25 p.m. in Zurich. That’s the lowest level since October 1989...
    Why have you posted a chart of Labour's poll share?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited February 2016
    DavidL said:

900 scientists spread over numerous laboratories with years of results processed by a supercomputer manage to prove something anticipated by 1 guy before the invention of the electronic calculator.

The human mind is surely the most astonishing thing in the known universe.

Just to rattle SeanT's cage...out of 991 scientists working on this...a grand total of 8 were at Chinese Universities...The likes of the University of the Balearic Islands (world ranked 660th) contributed more individuals to this than the whole of Chinese academia.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

900 scientists spread over numerous laboratories with years of results processed by a supercomputer manage to prove something anticipated by 1 guy before the invention of the electronic calculator.

Well, the human mind "anticipated" a whole pile of bollocks as well.
    EICIPM?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

"Huge science news - gravitational waves detected":

It's a pity Einstein can't get a Nobel Prize for his work on General Relativity - too late now, of course.

A posthumous award would be nice. Given that he never got one for relativity....
    I notice from the BBC article one of the lead scientists was eagerly saying that this was sure to get them the Nobel Prize. I am afraid this puts me right off scientists.
    Gravity is the warping of spacetime. Gravity waves do tend to suggest that there really is 'literally' a fabric, a substance, to 'empty' space itself - that space 'is' something.
    Question is, is there such a thing as a graviton?
    Well, when CERN has lost most of the matter in the Universe...

"Here's a sobering fact: The matter we know and that makes up all stars and galaxies only accounts for 4% of the content of the universe! "

http://home-dev.web.cern.ch/about/physics/dark-matter
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Watford, Mortimer et al I don't know anyone who thinks the NHS is a religious movement but you'd be hard pushed to find a more efficient service. And if people are going to get what they pay for then the government's going to have to get the message across that they don't pay for very much.

And I'd have the evens on Hunt going of I were you.; he won't last beyond the summer.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

It's a pity Einstein can't get a Nobel Prize for his work on General Relativity - too late now, of course.

A posthumous award would be nice. Given that he never got one for relativity....
    I notice from the BBC article one of the lead scientists was eagerly saying that this was sure to get them the Nobel Prize. I am afraid this puts me right off scientists.
    Gravity is the warping of spacetime. Gravity waves do tend to suggest that there really is 'literally' a fabric, a substance, to 'empty' space itself - that space 'is' something.

"Here's a sobering fact: The matter we know and that makes up all stars and galaxies only accounts for 4% of the content of the universe! "

Its a funny old universe - always assuming that there is (at least) one in the first place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

EICIPM?
    He almost certainly is in some other universe.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes true enough, but the thing they are looking for is pretty damn ephemeral. So much so that Einstein himself suggested that it would be impossible to detect.
    Pah! What did he know....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    RodCrosby said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''If Deutsche Bank goes down, it will go down in the same way RBS did, only with the German taxpayer bailing it out rather than the UK one.''
    Its not clear to me what is really threatening DB's viability. I read the term 'litigation' bandied around a lot, surely the regulators can't be fining their way into a financial crisis?

It's unlikely :lol:

More seriously, Deutsche Bank's problems are mostly that it tried to "play with the big boys" in investment banking, and has a huge cost base. What Deutsche Bank does not have is a very large number of underwater loans.

Total loans outstanding are EUR433bn. The company has shareholders equity of EUR69bn.

That's barely levered by the standards of most banks. Northern Rock, RBS and the like were levered 50-1 or more, Deutsche Bank's leverage is less than a fifth of that.

And the Germans don't owe very much money. Germany household debt is something like 55% of GDP. On the St Louis Fed numbers, that's the lowest in the developed world. (We, by the way, are on a scary 180+%). Corporate debt has declined since 2007, by roughly a quarter too. There's relatively little exposure to oil & gas or mining companies too.

So, while Deutsche Bank has a great many problems, in particular in terms of spending a lot of money to hire people to compete with Goldman, Morgan Stanley and the like, it would appear to be very far from insolvent.
    Credit Suisse Group AG plunged to a 27-year low as a selloff across the industry compounded doubts about Chief Executive Officer Tidjane Thiam’s restructuring plans.
    A rout in bank stocks deepened on Thursday after France’s Societe Generale SA missed fourth-quarter profit estimates, with earnings declining 35 percent at the investment bank. Credit Suisse shares dropped as much as 9 percent, before trading at 12.39 Swiss francs, down 7.8 percent at 5:25 p.m. in Zurich. That’s the lowest level since October 1989...
    Something's up.

Gold and Silver certainly are...
    There are two fundamentally different questions:

1. Are earnings disappointing?
    and
    2. Are there possible massive losses that could threaten the solvency of the bank?

In the case of 1, the answer is mostly yes. Banks earnings - particularly investment banking (broking, trading, etc.) - have tended to be lower than expected. SocGen's results showed that they bank had dramatically lower revenues from its equities division, for example.

But there seems precious little evidence of 2, yet. It's one thing to make less money that expected. That goes with the territory; sometimes things work, sometimes they do not. And default rates in Europe are falling, and both companies and consumers are less indebted than in 2007.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    watford30 said:

Hunt’s main problem is, as has been stated before, that if you insist on “normal” services on a seven day basis in hospitals, there are a lot more people involved than just doctors. And he seems to have the simplistic view that doctors can, and do, do everything, except perhaps that which nurses do.

Now, as someone who used to ‘cover” at night and weekends in the managed NHS, I’ve got a lot of sympathy with the idea of seven day working, but Hunt’s trying to bring it about in a ham-fisted, thoughtless fashion which will almost certainbly cause more problems for everyone concerned.

As has also been stated before, the plan is clearly to get doctors in place 24/7 and then the other staff. It can't happen the other way around.
    Should happen at more or less the same time. Otherwise Mondays will be horrendous!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    'Doping is commonplace in Kenya'

Kenya has until the end of Thursday to prove to the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) it is tackling cheating in athletics, the BBC has learned.

It comes after a spate of positive drugs tests among the country's athletes and fresh allegations of corruption.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35551486

40 banned for doping in the past 5 years.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

Its a funny old universe - always assuming that there is (at least) one in the first place.
    There has to be more than one - it's how quantum computers work....
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

Why does the hunger to win the Nobel put you off scientists?
    Partly because it betrays at least to me a selfishness that I do not think is good for objectivity.
    Partly because I think it channels work into area which may repay the effort with fortune and glory and away from an effort that might be practical and worthy but dull.
    And of course I may be wrong.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

EICIPM?
    He almost certainly is in some other universe.
    And in that Universe, the Ed Stone is proudly displayed in the Downing Street garden.

It so makes me want to believe in the multiverse. Just to know it still exists....
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Watford, Mortimer et al I don't know anyone who thinks the NHS is a religious movement but you'd be hard pushed to find a more efficient service. And if people are going to get what they pay for then the government's going to have to get the message across that they don't pay for very much.

And I'd have the evens on Hunt going of I were you.; he won't last beyond the summer.

He doesn't need to - job done
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

If there were any justice in the world, Einstein would get a posthumous Nobel and Obama’s would be rescinded.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

CERN has only 'lost' the matter in the same sense that Liz Kendall lost the Labour leadership. It wasn't theirs to lose in the first place.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

EICIPM?
    LOL!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

If there were any justice in the world, Einstein would get a posthumous Nobel and Obama’s would be rescinded.
    Blair definitely deserves a Nobel prize.
  • Options

'Doping is commonplace in Kenya'

Kenya has until the end of Thursday to prove to the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) it is tackling cheating in athletics, the BBC has learned.

It comes after a spate of positive drugs tests among the country's athletes and fresh allegations of corruption.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35551486

40 banned for doping in the past 5 years.

I would die a little if David Rudisha is on the dope.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, Newton's theory of light was wrong (I forget if he thought it was wave or particle, but the side he opted for was scientifically dominant for centuries). That doesn't mean it didn't advance knowledge or wasn't of value.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

For Literature? That Dodgy Dossier was well worthy.....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Mr. Alistair, Newton's theory of light was wrong (I forget if he thought it was wave or particle, but the side he opted for was scientifically dominant for centuries). That doesn't mean it didn't advance knowledge or wasn't of value.

Einstein wasn't 100% right on this latest discovery either. Is the nature of science. Some might say, “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

Mortimer said:

Care to comment that momentum seems to be swinging behind the Govt?

Not in any significant way - what's happened according to the poll is an element of polarisation, with 8% swinging from "tend to support" to "strongly support" and 7% swinging from don't know/neither to "oppose", especially "strongly oppose". The overall balance is a 3-1 lead for the doctors, with opinion hardening. If you were Jeremy Hunt, would you treat the news that 14% strongly support you with jubilation?

It's brave in the Yes Minister sense. But e's obviously got contract imposition cleared, so better on him still being in post in January looks sensible.
    Since when does a Government make decisions on opinion polls. A strong Government does what it considers it has been mandated to do irrespective of popularity.
    Er, yes. But I was replying to someone implying that the polls were jolly encouraging for the Government. Saying they're not encouraging but it's right anyway is a different point.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Just got emails from both alma maters about LIGO & the gravitational wave detection.
    I think that very few physicists are surprised by their existence.
    The truly remarkable thing is the technology behind the measurements.
    The development of such supremely subtle technology needs fostering. In this case I hope somebody writes a detailed book describing it in depth. It would be a big book.
  • Options
    So after changes to the document even further watering down protections for non-Euro economies and the City, Cameron isn't even fighting against them. For God's sake, he cares more about PR to the British public than the UK national interest.

"A leak from Brussels today revealed the draft deal negotiated by David Cameron has been subject to a series of changes by other leaders. 

Downing Street officials seemed relaxed with the amendments, which they said left the Prime Minister’s four key goals for EU reform fully intact."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/cameron-s-draft-eu-deal-has-had-series-of-changes-by-other-leaders-a3177971.html
  • Options
    Toms said:

Just got emails from both alma maters about LIGO & the gravitational wave detection.
    The development of such supremely subtle technology needs fostering. In this case I hope somebody writes a detailed book describing it in depth. It would be a big book.

You getting the begging letter already ;-)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

Literature, I take it, for the creative fiction.

EDIT behind Mr Mark, I see.
  • Options

Einstein wasn't 100% right on this latest discovery either. Is the nature of science. Some might say, “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”
    Under the rulebook of the Union of Theoretical Physicists and Allied Trades, Newton and Einstein weren't wrong; instead, their theories were incomplete.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

You getting the begging letter already ;-)
    Very soon now no doubt.
  • Options

Under the rulebook of the Union of Theoretical Physicists and Allied Trades, Newton and Einstein weren't wrong; instead, their theories were incomplete.
    Is that a bit like economists, predictions never wrong, merely the models were incomplete to world events, which couldn't have been predicted ahead of time and have since been adjusted (rinse and repeat every year)?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

I am not sure it would qualify as an original work. Did they not copy and paste a large chunk of it from some nonsense on the internet?
  • Options

Is that a bit like economists, predictions never wrong, merely the models were incomplete to world events, which couldn't have been predicted ahead of time and have since been adjusted (rinse and repeat every year)?

No, no, no! I am shocked at the very idea of comparing physicists with economists.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Downing Street officials seemed relaxed with the amendments, which they said left the Prime Minister’s four key goals for EU reform fully intact'

So embarrassing. The British PM turns into Comical Ali

• Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

I am not sure it would qualify as an original work. Did they not copy and paste a large chunk of it from some nonsense on the internet?
    That's post-modernism.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

You're talking bollocks, economists haven't got as accurate as Newton's predictions since their pseudo-science was invented and nor will they in the next billion.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    edited February 2016
    Chris_A said:

Is there any evidence to support that, by any chance?
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Mark,

That's post-modernism.
    When you look at how Alastair Campbell put it together, spelling mistakes and all it is almost beyond belief he did not serve time for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Dossier

If this was not misconduct in a public office I really do not know what is.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I think there are two sides to the political impact of the Strike. On the one hand, I don't necessarily think the short-term fallout will be that bad for the government - while it's clear that people are on the doctors' side when they're specifically asked about it, I personally don't get the sense the public are that exercised about it - the thought of doctors being upset with the government in itself is probably not going to switch too many votes.

BUT, what it does do is potentially create big problems for the Government further down the road. In future, when the NHS is considered to be going through a "crisis", it's going to be so easy for opponents to say "this crisis is a result of nasty Tories disrespecting good doctors and forcing them to quit the NHS". In other words, the idea of the government upsetting doctors will not in itself make the public angry, but any public perception that the government upsetting doctors has led to a deterioration in the quality of the NHS will make people angry.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Going back to education for a moment, a question to the PB brains Trust. In the context of English grammar, can you, without looking it up, give a definition of a subordinate clause? How about, in the same context, Co-ordination? Struggling? Ok then an easy one to finish, what about defining, or even recognising a Subordinate Conjunction?

The reason I ask is that Herself does a little job at the local infants' school and she has just come home with a six-page, "Glossary of the terminology that children are expected to know and use in key stage 1", that is to say by the time the children are seven years old. The three items I mentioned are included in the list, along with some obvious stuff like what a sentence is.

I am all in favour of driving up standards and am a stern critic of the educational establishment but someone might be being a little ambitious here. A fair proportion of the children at Herself's school arrive barely able to speak coherently, some are still in nappies, and some actually arrive at and leave from school in push chairs. To expect the teachers to take a barley socialised brat at the age of five, who has communication skills of a Rock Ape, and turn them into someone who can recognise and use Subordinate Conjunction etc. in just two years seems a tad unrealistic.

• Options
    US GOP race update - SC poll (maybe)

Just seen this article tweeted:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sc-poll-trump-32-cruz-26-rubio-20-bush-10/article/2001032#.Vry62hQOPt8.twitter

If that's right and those are Wednesday numbers, then that's an excellent score for Rubio and a shocker for Trump (in as far as any first place can be a shocker). To that end, they do have the feel of being pre-debate never mind pre-NH poll data - but that's not what it says.

Caveat emptor and all that.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sc-poll-trump-32-cruz-26-rubio-20-bush-10/article/2001032#.Vry62hQOPt8.twitter

If that's right and those are Wednesday numbers, then that's an excellent score for Rubio and a shocker for Trump (in as far as any first place can be a shocker). To that end, they do have the feel of being pre-debate never mind pre-NH poll data - but that's not what it says.

Why do you call it a shocker for Trump? It's barely any worse than his New Hampshire performance.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, learnt in German that and/but/or are co-ordinating conjunctions, the others being subordinate.

Must say I agree with your assessment.
  • Options
    "of the 44 men and women to head the Home Office since 1900, only two (Churchill and Callaghan) have become Prime Minister. Of the 36 men and women who have been Foreign Secretary, seven have made it to the top, while of the 37 Chancellors since 1900, 10 have become Prime Minister."

Evening Standard
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016
    DavidL said:

When you look at how Alastair Campbell put it together, spelling mistakes and all it is almost beyond belief he did not serve time for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Dossier

The Hutton Report was one of the most amazing things I have ever read. It exposed all the damning evidence in exquisite detail, and then in his conclusion Lord Hutton either ignored it completely, or came to the most eccentric and one-sided judgements on it that was possible to imagine. I remember discovering for the first time in my life that the phrase 'my jaw dropped' was not just a metaphor; in my case, my jaw dropped when I read the bit about how one should expect a higher standard of exact accuracy from a verbal report on the 6am news on the BBC (a report which was corrected in subsequent bulletins) than from a formal written document from Her Majesty's Government, submitted to parliament and signed off by the PM.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    edited February 2016
    Just had a phonecall from an 0870ish number.. so I didn't answer

PING! I have a voice mail...

...& it's Nigel Farage!!

Well, a pre recorded Nigel Farage asking if I want to rejoin UKIP as my membership has lapsed.. so I did.

Actually I joined again from scratch so that's "one new member" they can boast of

Quite a novel idea though (or novel to me anyway)
  • Options

"of the 44 men and women to head the Home Office since 1900, only two (Churchill and Callaghan) have become Prime Minister. Of the 36 men and women who have been Foreign Secretary, seven have made it to the top, while of the 37 Chancellors since 1900, 10 have become Prime Minister."

Evening Standard

Chancellor would be a fine thing! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2016

DavidL said:

The Hutton Report was one of the most amazing things I have ever read. It exposed all the damning evidence in exquisite detail, and then in his conclusion Lord Hutton either ignored it completely, or came to the most eccentric and one-sided judgements on it that was possible to imagine. I remember discovering for the first time in my life that the phrase 'my jaw dropped' was not just a metaphor; in my case, my jaw dropped when I read the bit about how one should expect a higher standard of exact accuracy from a verbal report on the 6am news on the BBC (a report which was corrected in subsequent bulletins) than from a formal written document from Her Majesty's Government and signed off by the PM.
    We still have Chilcott to come...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Late afternoon all :)

Vaguely on-topic but junior doctors complaining about their hours is as much a feature of midwinter as the publishing of the Grand National weights. Of course, it's been a mild and quiet winter thus far but I'm sure any health professional will tell you a summer heatwave will cause many more problems than a cold spell.

As always with public services, it comes back to that old maxim - you can have as much or as little as you want or are willing to pay for - which applies from the size of the armed forces to the frequency of rubbish collection.

If we all paid 70% of our income in tax there would be a lot more money available to fund public services but, before the righties on here keel over from apoplexy or a surfeit of austerity, this bumps up against the other adage that the quality of public services is generally inversely proportional to the quantity of money available to spend on them.

Brown's mistake, after 1999, was to fund public services in the manner of force-feeding a banquet to a starving man. A more gradualist approach would have a) been more effective and b) left the public finances in a better state than they are (and were in 2010).

Yet the demand is unceasing - we live in a 24-hour society and public services need to reflect that but individual little County, District and Borough Councils trying to replicate the same functions is woefully inefficient and wasteful. Hence the era of collaboration, co-operation and co-location in which we find ourselves where one organisation (public, private or a hybrid thereof) provides the dame service for five or six authorities whether that be waste collection, property management or legal services.

In essence, we are moving away from local toward regional Government as the only model able to provide the range of services with the money available and one area that does impact on is bricks and mortar. The model of service delivery of both back and front office services is changing dramatically and whether through One Public Estate (OPE) or a department like DWP ending its absurd PFI contract and vacating hundreds of offices or the DoJ closing county and magistrates courts, Government is going to stop being so physically diverse and be more concentrated
  • Options

Rubio or Bush is GOP winner: I'm happy. Otherwise not.
  • Options

Evening Standard

Ha - Adam Boulton tweeted that yesterday (and retweeted my reply, which was nice).

Some of those figures overlap of course: Callaghan had been both FS and CoE prior to becoming PM, while Churchill also served later as CoE. In addition, both men went in and out of government between occupying the Home Office and taking on the premiership - in Churchill's case, the gap was some 39 years!
  • Options

#Marcomentum

I've got him onside now, so it's all good.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

DavidL said:

The Hutton Report was one of the most amazing things I have ever read. It exposed all the damning evidence in exquisite detail, and then in his conclusion Lord Hutton either ignored it completely, or came to the most eccentric and one-sided judgements on it that was possible to imagine. I remember discovering for the first time in my life that the phrase 'my jaw dropped' was not just a metaphor; in my case, my jaw dropped when I read the bit about how one should expect a higher standard of exact accuracy from a verbal report on the 6am news on the BBC (a report which was corrected in subsequent bulletins) than from a formal written document from Her Majesty's Government and signed off by the PM.
    It was astonishing. And if he had only done his job we would not still all be waiting for Godot Chilcot.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Why do you call it a shocker for Trump? It's barely any worse than his New Hampshire performance.
    He had been running about 16% clear of Cruz.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-south-carolina-presidential-republican-primary
  • Options

Going back to education for a moment, a question to the PB brains Trust. In the context of English grammar, can you, without looking it up, give a definition of a subordinate clause? How about, in the same context, Co-ordination? Struggling? Ok then an easy one to finish, what about defining, or even recognising a Subordinate Conjunction?

The reason I ask is that Herself does a little job at the local infants' school and she has just come home with a six-page, "Glossary of the terminology that children are expected to know and use in key stage 1", that is to say by the time the children are seven years old. The three items I mentioned are included in the list, along with some obvious stuff like what a sentence is.

I am all in favour of driving up standards and am a stern critic of the educational establishment but someone might be being a little ambitious here. A fair proportion of the children at Herself's school arrive barely able to speak coherently, some are still in nappies, and some actually arrive at and leave from school in push chairs. To expect the teachers to take a barley socialised brat at the age of five, who has communication skills of a Rock Ape, and turn them into someone who can recognise and use Subordinate Conjunction etc. in just two years seems a tad unrealistic.

Isn't a subordinate claus an elf?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Boom tish

Isn't a subordinate claus an elf?
  • Options
    I do hope that is a real poll tbh - the main goal for my book is seeing the end of Jeb Bush right now !
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Although thinking myself as something of a language maven, I do hate attempts to formalize English grammar to this degree. That seems something that should be limited solely to professional comparative linguists.

Knowing what a subordinate clause is something that is useful to know when trying to construct coherent, readable sentences covering complex, nuanced and detailed issues. Hardly the thing for five year olds, but something people on PB might be expected to know.

Knowing what a conjunction is is fairly basic grammar and we use conjunctions from pretty much our first fully vocalized thoughts. I know my first stories at infants school were always one sentence with plenty of 'and's. But knowing the grammatical name and function of that even is something that can wait until one's teens. Bothering to further sub-divide conjunctions is nothing I have ever found useful in all my attempts to learn foreign tongues (seven attempts, four reasonably successful) and not something I would ever think about in relation to the Mother Tongue Sheself.
  • Options

MikeL said:

We knew this anyway but we now have absolute 100% confirmation that the Boundary Review will now go ahead on the basis of 600 MPs.

See the Government Response to the Political and Constitutional Reform Committee’s Eighth Report of Session 2014-15 (just published):

"What next on the redrawing of parliamentary constituency boundaries?"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/499661/53993_Cm_9203_Print_Ready.pdf

"At present, Parliamentary constituencies range in size from 22,000 to 108,000 electors. Without the implementation of these boundary reforms, the 2020-25 House of Commons would represent constituencies that are drawn up on electoral register data that is over 20 years’ old"

But aren't we being told that attending to this issue is "gerrymandering"?
    That 22,000 one will stay won't it? Isn't it the Western Isles (or whatever the Gallic is for it)?
    The 'Gallic' name is les Hébrides.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    MattW said:

Chris_A said:

Is there any evidence to support that, by any chance?
    You could start here http://shr.sagepub.com/content/2/7/60.short from the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.

There there's the evidence of how little we spend collectively on healthcare
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.TOTL.ZS?order=wbapi_data_value_2013+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

• Options

The children are supposed to understand the concepts, not to give names to them.

The French gentleman who discovered to his delight that he had been speaking prose all his life without realising it springs to mind.
  • Options
    Having worked in the NHS for 10 years, I can safely say the government will never win over public opinion, so they might as well just get on with it. Left-wingery, runs through it like a stick of rock. Conservatives like me just keep their mouths shut.

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    runnymede said:

'Downing Street officials seemed relaxed with the amendments, which they said left the Prime Minister’s four key goals for EU reform fully intact'

In fairness, the "goals" probably are still intact.

He just won't be scoring any of them....
  • Options

runnymede said:

He can blame the badgers for moving the goal posts.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Having worked in the NHS for 10 years, I can safely say the government will never win over public opinion, so they might as well just get on with it.

while Labour has howled in anger – and even joined the picket line – the truth is that they are an ineffectual opposition. And that is because they are not an effectual electoral threat.

No-one in Westminster, not least Labour MPs themselves, believe that Jeremy Corbyn can enter Downing Street in 2020. And the polls – although wrong in 2015 – emphatically back this up.

So the normal restraints of Parliamentary democracy no longer apply. The Government has a freedom to take unpopular decisions with little threat of electoral payback.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-can-jeremy-hunt-get-away-with-imposing-a-contract-on-junior-doctors-look-no-further-than-the-a6867841.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    edited February 2016

Yes another third place triumph for Rubio in that poll just 12 points behind Trump and 6 behind Cruz. Nothing is going to stop Marco now!!!!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The children are supposed to understand the concepts, not to give names to them.

The French gentleman who discovered to his delight that he had been speaking prose all his life without realising it springs to mind.
    How do you know that, Mr. Meeks? Your knowledge of English is obviously superior to that of my wife, the teachers she works with, let alone my own. So perhaps you can explain to us how , "terminology that children are expected to know and use" actually means, "understand the concepts".
  • Options

I remember hunting shy gerunds - obviously only when in season.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    runnymede said:

"What tanks?"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    edited February 2016

Speaking and writing in a way that others like to hear or read is surely the important thing.

I really don't know the details with which to describe language (comprehensive education), and I'm sure I make some howlers. I do though often get asked to proof read documents, and I believe that people generally think I have a good grasp of what makes a good sentence.

I really don't like for example "Mother Tongue Sheself" from MTimT. "Mother tongue herself" would I guess be what I'd write, but I wouldn't really use the phrase.

I have no idea what might be right or wrong in this, just that some things feel right, and other wrong.

(PS Apologies in advance for any grammatical crimes.)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

runnymede said:

The only goals Dave will be scoring are own goals.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Having worked in the NHS for 10 years, I can safely say the government will never win over public opinion, so they might as well just get on with it.

while Labour has howled in anger – and even joined the picket line – the truth is that they are an ineffectual opposition. And that is because they are not an effectual electoral threat.

No-one in Westminster, not least Labour MPs themselves, believe that Jeremy Corbyn can enter Downing Street in 2020. And the polls – although wrong in 2015 – emphatically back this up.

So the normal restraints of Parliamentary democracy no longer apply. The Government has a freedom to take unpopular decisions with little threat of electoral payback.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-can-jeremy-hunt-get-away-with-imposing-a-contract-on-junior-doctors-look-no-further-than-the-a6867841.html

So the Junior Doctors are screwed because Labour elected Jeremy Corbyn? That has a nice symmetry to it....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes another third place triumph for Rubio in that poll just 12 points behind Trump and 6 behind Cruz. Nothing is going to stop Marco now!!!!
    Yes, OK, perhaps 'excellent' is over-egging it a bit. Decent enough to keep him in the game as a contender might be better. You're right that third-fifth-third isn't an ideal start.
  • Options

Just more Kristol balls. Why does anybody listen to this discredited freak anymore?
  • Options
    And the digging continues

Doctors plan guerrilla war as Hunt forces new contract http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4688245.ece

Scott_P said:

So the Junior Doctors are screwed because Labour elected Jeremy Corbyn? That has a nice symmetry to it....

• Options

DavidL said:

The Hutton Report was one of the most amazing things I have ever read. It exposed all the damning evidence in exquisite detail, and then in his conclusion Lord Hutton either ignored it completely, or came to the most eccentric and one-sided judgements on it that was possible to imagine. I remember discovering for the first time in my life that the phrase 'my jaw dropped' was not just a metaphor; in my case, my jaw dropped when I read the bit about how one should expect a higher standard of exact accuracy from a verbal report on the 6am news on the BBC (a report which was corrected in subsequent bulletins) than from a formal written document from Her Majesty's Government, submitted to parliament and signed off by the PM.
    Par for the course. Take the Franks Report into the causes of the Falklands War. As Jim Callaghan said: For 338 paragraphs he painted a splendid picture, delineated the light and the shade, and the glowing colours in it, and when Franks got to paragraph 339 he got fed up with the canvas he was painting, and chucked a bucket of whitewash over it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-207279/Franks-inquiry-slammed-whitewash.html
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

It's hearsay from a partisan publication and from someone with truly bad reputation.

Bill Kristol:

"I've just heard from a political operative whom I've known a long time and whose integrity I trust. This person is working with an organization—not one of the campaigns—that was in the field (using a very reputable pollster) Wednesday night in South Carolina."

As accurate as this:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/695384762249162753
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Doctors plan guerrilla war as Hunt forces new contract http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4688245.ece

Scott_P said:

Mass resignations? So much for 'Patient Safety'. Anyone would think they were solely interested in cold, hard, cash. Which of course, they are.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

HYUFD said:

Yes, OK, perhaps 'excellent' is over-egging it a bit. Decent enough to keep him in the game as a contender might be better. You're right that third-fifth-third isn't an ideal start.
    Given no Republican since 1976 has won the nomination without winning Iowa or New Hampshire and only one Democrat Bill Clinton has and he won South Carolina, I would suggest third in the Palmetto State will effectively kill off Rubio even if he staggers on until Trump beats him in Florida, his home state. It is a Trump v Cruz battle now and this poll confirms it
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    watford30 said:

Scott_P said:

Mass resignations? So much for 'Patient Safety'. Anyone would think they were solely interested in cold, hard, cash. Which of course, they are.

Presumably Hunt's plan; make so many doctors resign that we have to give George Osborne's brother his job back to improve patient safety!!
  • Options
    The main character has made eye shadow?
    SeanT said:

I have finished a book!

I have finished WRITING a book.

Does anyone want to read my penultimate paragraph? It's totally ludicrous. You do? Oh, alright then. Here it is SPOILER ALERT

"The list was a lyric of richness: sulphide of bismuth, arborescent native copper, arseniate of iron crystallised in great cubes. Foot wide garnet crystals, prisms of iron, heamatatic iron, hydrous oxide of iron, magnetic iron pyrites, hornblende mixed with slate, axinite in veins, thallite, chlorite, tremolite, plus jasper, schorl, and traces of gold. All of it here, right under here, under these rocks."

• Options
    Mr. T, it's full of hot geological action? Phwoar, what a geyser!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That final paragraph is of course bollocks on several levels.

Firstly, if a government does take genuinely unpopular decisions, opposition in the polls will rise from somewhere, whether it be UKIP, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens or some new force (SDP2 or whatever). Voters *will* go somewhere if you annoy them enough.

Secondly, it's not an unpopular decision as such. True, it's not a supported one (see the graphs in Mike's leader), but that doesn't mean it's unpopular. Raising your taxes is unpopular; raising someone you like's taxes might be seen as a bit unfair but will rarely be a vote-changer.

Thirdly, the "normal restraints of Parliamentary democracy" apply as much within parties as between them. True, they apply more when there's a bigger threat of losing office but they apply all the same.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have finished a book!

Does anyone want to read my penultimate paragraph? It's totally ludicrous. You do? Oh, alright then. Here it is SPOILER ALERT

"The list was a lyric of richness: sulphide of bismuth, arborescent native copper, arseniate of iron crystallised in great cubes. Foot wide garnet crystals, prisms of iron, heamatatic iron, hydrous oxide of iron, magnetic iron pyrites, hornblende mixed with slate, axinite in veins, thallite, chlorite, tremolite, plus jasper, schorl, and traces of gold. All of it here, right under here, under these rocks."

Is it about mineralogy then? Interesting change of direction.
  • Options

Newton postulated that light was made up of particles. He was contradicted by Hooke who always thought is was wave-like. This upset Newton so much (he had even fewer social graces than Sheldon Cooper) that he withdrew from the public scientific world and in the main concentrated on alchemy and trying (secretly) to disprove the Holy Trinity.
    Hooke was at first proved right by James Maxwell in the 19th century but then, thanks to quantum theory, light was shown to be both.
    Newton never forgave Hooke, but it was following a famous exchange of letters between them - where Hooke brought in the concept of centripetal force (an object travelling in a straight line and pulled downwards by a force) - that prompted Newton to examine gravity again and eventually publish his Laws and their proof.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It's hearsay from a partisan publication and from someone with truly bad reputation.

Bill Kristol:

"I've just heard from a political operative whom I've known a long time and whose integrity I trust. This person is working with an organization—not one of the campaigns—that was in the field (using a very reputable pollster) Wednesday night in South Carolina."

As accurate as this:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/695384762249162753
    Cheers. I did say that it didn't pass the sniff test to my way of thinking.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    Since the only thing we got until a poll is published in S.Carolina is Google Trends, here you go:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=/m/0cqt90, /m/07j6ty, /m/0dpr5f, /m/02zzm_, /m/019x9z&geo=US-SC&date=now 1-d&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT-2

Trump far ahead, and a 5 way tie for second place ranging from Cruz to Carson, like in N.H.
    What's interesting is why.

After the last debate Rubio was high in N.H but people were looking for Rubio+Robot, so that wasn't good for Rubio.

Here it's Trump+Johnny Depp, which is realistic since a movie came out with Depp playing the lead role as Trump.
    I don't know if it's good or bad for him, I watched the movie and it sort of glorifying Trump's silliness and very questionable acts under a mountain of satire.
  • Options
    Rubio's price has plenty of spring in it I imagine. I have him red but I should probably make him neutral as a non awful perfoance in sc will probably shoot his price right down.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    Here's a man looking for a new career:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35552638

Perhaps he could try politics?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given no Republican since 1976 has won the nomination without winning Iowa or New Hampshire and only one Democrat Bill Clinton has and he won South Carolina, I would suggest third in the Palmetto State will effectively kill off Rubio even if he staggers on until Trump beats him in Florida, his home state. It is a Trump v Cruz battle now and this poll confirms it
    Although NH and Iowa threw up acceptable candidates between them. Neither Cruz nor Trump is anywhere near ideal for a lot of people. At the moment it's still a three way split between Trump, the conservatives and the mainstream (Rubio straddling the latter two). If all the mainstream candidates drop out pre-Super Tuesday then that still leaves Rubio a path.

Can't see it myself. Mainstream or not, 'robot' will stick.
  • Options
    Mr. T, he was a tin miner, she was the daughter of West Penwith's greatest silversmith?

Anyway, best of luck with it. [As I am sure you are keen to know, my mother has yet to begin The Ice Twins, but she did get a ridiculous number of books for Christmas].
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have finished a book!

An inorganic orgy.
  • Options
    By coincidence, I too have handed in a draft for a book today. I won't trouble the thread with the penultimate paragraph.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    SeanT said:

The main character has made eye shadow?

SeanT said:

I have finished a book!

It's not easy to squeeze the words "hornblende", "schorl" and tremolite" into a domestic chiller
    Is this the one where the evil child predicts festive DEATH?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    I do wonder if the good will shown to junior doctors will continue. They seem to be waving "save our nhs" placards around whilst resigning or threatening to go to Australia.
  • Options

Newton postulated that light was made up of particles. He was contradicted by Hooke who always thought is was wave-like. This upset Newton so much (he had even fewer social graces than Sheldon Cooper) that he withdrew from the public scientific world and in the main concentrated on alchemy and trying (secretly) to disprove the Holy Trinity.
    Hooke was at first proved right by James Maxwell in the 19th century but then, thanks to quantum theory, light was shown to be both.
    Newton never forgave Hooke, but it was following a famous exchange of letters between them - where Hooke brought in the concept of centripetal force (an object travelling in a straight line and pulled downwards by a force) - that prompted Newton to examine gravity again and eventually publish his Laws and their proof.
    Homage to Isaac Newton in less than 2 minutes by American telly scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danYFxGnFxQ
  • Options
    Four council by-elections tonight! Three Labour defences, one Liberal Democrat. Polls close at 2200hrs. https://t.co/buW36r8e4h
This discussion has been closed.