Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The New Hampshire aftermath: This week’s PB/Polling Matters

12346»

Comments

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Er! What is the betting on the next Secretary of State for Health?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Any betting on the head of the BMA having to walk the plank for ballsing up the negotiation?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited February 2016

Junior Doctors new contract imposed.

Silly Boy

Serves them right. I suspect this has more to do with the BMA's (non-)negotiating tactics than anything else.
    Sorry but you have no clue what the result of this imposition will be but you are happy to gamble.

Hope YBS puts you on a 7 day contract "Serves you right"!!
    I'm already required to work weekends as needed. That's when code implementations occur.
    Was that imposed without you agreeing?

If not we are not comparing like with like are we?

Junior Drs already work weekends on a contract they agreed.

I believe imposition is a huge gamble that may cost the NHS in England dear.
    There have been several changes to my terms and conditions during my time with the YBS. The most recent was a change to pension arrangements that was imposed on us.

The fact is that the government was elected on a manifesto promising a 7-day-per-week NHS. Getting out of the mentality of 'core hours' and 'out of hours' is part of that process. The whole economy is moving towards the same principle and the public expects public services to do likewise. Indeed, the government has a duty to implement its election promise now. It would be better if there could be a negotiated settlement but given that the independent expert advises that there can't be, then that only leaves the government with one option.
    No one can impose a contract on anyone. If in my consulting business a client 'imposes' conditions that are unbearable, I walk away from the contract. If it is unpalatable but bearable, I suck it up unless I have better options.

The option to walk is also available to junior doctors, and I truly hope some of them exercise it. For at least some, the well is so poisoned they should no longer work in the NHS.

I say this not out of any animus towards the doctors. But we all have to live in the world as it is, and we can't pretend for ever that the world is different for the NHS.
This discussion has been closed.