Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of New Hampshire the Hillary campaign takes its

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited February 2016
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    That depends, Cameron has said that a Leave vote would simply lead to France ending border controls to the UK on the French side and let all its Calais migrants go through the tunnel
    I'd be interested to know why France signed the Le Touquet treaty (referenced in an earlier thread). There must have been something in it for them. I don't buy the idea that it was done purely out of altruism. What do the French get out of it?

Presumably they can undertake checks on the British side?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    That depends, Cameron has said that a Leave vote would simply lead to France ending border controls to the UK on the French side and let all its Calais migrants go through the tunnel
    I'd be interested to know why France signed the Le Touquet treaty (referenced in an earlier thread). There must have been something in it for them. I don't buy the idea that it was done purely out of altruism. What do the French get out of it?

A French minister explained it today. They don't want Calais to be a magnet for illegal immigrants. Even if the French stopped co-operating with us, not everyone would get through to the UK. So, you'd get a huge and growing backlog of people at Calais. Perhaps, ultimately, rail and ferry services would be shut down.
    And possibly also the tunnel, in a worst case scenario.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Bill Clinton seems to be starting to morph into Jimmy Carter.

To be fair to Bill Clinton, he managed to have adultery in rather more than just his heart.
    Oral sex is not adultery. The Bible says so.
    Try telling that to your wife.

The shock might be if she agreed. :-)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    And the French have said that's bollocks.

This is the throw enough shit around and some of it will stick approach.
    Who knows but both sides will scaremonger
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033
    notme said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:
    My sister and teenage nephew live in Crewe.

Once again that appears, on the face of it, the school and police authorities colluding to play down/cover up a major incident, exacerbating tensions.
    This story doesn't surprise me at all. I went into an Asian shop the other day and was completely ignored, even though I was the only person in.

All the old industrial working-class northern towns are just full of every nationality under the sun. Something has to give. You can feel the tension sometimes. Older people can't believe the change in their communities and it's happened in such a short space of time.
    Breitbart does seem rather more sensationalist than the Crewe Chronicle:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/crewe-south-cheshire-news/police-called-fight-school-10839951

"Jason Fraser, principal of Sir William Stanier Community School, said: “During the lunchtime break yesterday, an altercation involving six pupils took place in the school playground. Staff responded quickly and effectively to manage the situation.

“Our school has a zero-tolerance approach to any behaviour that does not meet the high standards we expect, and we acted swiftly to exclude those involved, pending a full investigation.

“The safety and wellbeing of all students and staff, in and out of school, is always our utmost priority. As such, the decision was taken to involve the police as a precautionary measure. School then continued as normal for the rest of the afternoon and is open as usual today"

I wonder who has better reporters on the ground? And who relies on twittersphere hysteria...
    Kids fight in playground
    Apparently equals white man's race death at the hands of the Jezlamists
    Read the parents' comments on their petition. Then perhaps you would not dismiss this so glibly.

Again, it's the white working classes who are getting shafted - and their kids. Not nice middle class Londoners. It's the people the Left is meant to protect - the weak, and the poor. Yet you scoff.

Despicable.
    It's a pathological inability to see any one they perceive to be a victim, to be anything but a victim.
    What, and it's not pathological to calumny a man once you get triggered by "migrants = violent", backed up by the internet equivalent of the local barstool demagogue and some poison pen letters?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,412
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

To be fair to Bill Clinton, he managed to have adultery in rather more than just his heart.
    Do cigars count?

More seriously, I would suggest that deploying Bill at such an early stage is a sign of possible panic. Bill Clinton is one of the very few real assets the Dems have (Obama aside, he's their only president in 36 years and the first Democrat to win two consecutive terms since 1936). If Hilary were confident of winning the nomination, she would surely have held him back for the toe end of the real campaign.

To those who mention his past, yes he's weak and self indulgent, particularly about his sex drive. And because he foolishly asked Hilary to reform Medicare his domestic policies were mostly a failure. But he also has the priceless asset that unlike his wife, people like him. Remember when his er, fluids were discovered on Lewinsky's dress quite a lot of people found excuses for it (the best one I heard was, 'that can't be right, she'd have had it cleaned')! And remember he persuaded the Irish and the Israelis to talk to the Ulstermen and Palestinians, détente that did not survive his Presidency.

Also, if Clinton becomes so associated with Hilary in the primaries that he can't campaign for Saunders convincingly, might that damage the Dems' Congressional campaign?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Ah, yes: that old joke.

Husband to wife: "Why don't you ever tell me when you orgasm?"

Wife to husband: "Well, I don't like calling you when you're at work."

• Options
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Read the parents' comments on their petition. Then perhaps you would not dismiss this so glibly.

Again, it's the white working classes who are getting shafted - and their kids. Not nice middle class Londoners. It's the people the Left is meant to protect - the weak, and the poor. Yet you scoff.

Despicable.

Is it more paranoid to believe that Breitbart readers might have written some of those comments, or is it more paranoid to believe in a big conspiracy in the West Midlands that only a far-right American website can reveal?

This is my quandary.
    But it wasn't your quandary, was it? There is no question in your head, you're not examining the evidence. You've just dismissed the story, and presumed it is made-up by Fascists, as otherwise it makes you too uncomfortable.

Address the point dear.

You are rushing to condemn a named man on the flimsiest of evidence.

It's not as if this is a new phenomenon on the internet.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Not a line of argument I've tried. Fortunately.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Once again that appears, on the face of it, the school and police authorities colluding to play down/cover up a major incident, exacerbating tensions.
    This story doesn't surprise me at all. I went into an Asian shop the other day and was completely ignored, even though I was the only person in.

All the old industrial working-class northern towns are just full of every nationality under the sun. Something has to give. You can feel the tension sometimes. Older people can't believe the change in their communities and it's happened in such a short space of time.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/crewe-south-cheshire-news/police-called-fight-school-10839951

"Jason Fraser, principal of Sir William Stanier Community School, said: “During the lunchtime break yesterday, an altercation involving six pupils took place in the school playground. Staff responded quickly and effectively to manage the situation.

“Our school has a zero-tolerance approach to any behaviour that does not meet the high standards we expect, and we acted swiftly to exclude those involved, pending a full investigation.

“The safety and wellbeing of all students and staff, in and out of school, is always our utmost priority. As such, the decision was taken to involve the police as a precautionary measure. School then continued as normal for the rest of the afternoon and is open as usual today"

I wonder who has better reporters on the ground? And who relies on twittersphere hysteria...
    Kids fight in playground

Despicable.
    First rule of Government is to protect it's people,how can you protect your people with open borders ?

You can't.
  • Options
    Evidently, some children fought in the yard. In fact, nobody denied that.

Believe it or not, this does happen, and in places where children come from different ethnic backgrounds, like England, this will also happen among children from different backgrounds.

What makes the hypocrite xenophobes look so silly is their insistence on making everything about themselves, as if the failure of Panorama to devote a special episode to the fight in Crewe is about silencing xenophobes.

(They are hypocrites because they often like to go to other countries and make a disgrace of themselves.)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    UMass/Lowell final New Hampshire daily poll

GOP
    Trump – 35% (36) (35) (34) (36) (38) (38) (38)
    Rubio – 13% (14) (14) (15) (15) (12) (10) (8)
    Cruz – 13% (13) (13) (14) (14) (14) (14) (12)
    Bush – 10% (10) (10) (8) (8) (9) (9) (9)
    Kasich – 10% (9) (10) (8) (7) (7) (9) (9)
    Christie – 5% (4) (4) (5) (5) (6) (5) (7)
    Fiorina – 4% (4) (3) (3) (3) (3) (3) (2)
    Carson – 3% (3) (3) (4) (4) (3) (3) (4)
    Undecided – 9% (7) (8) (8) (4) (7) (8)

Dems
    Sanders 56%
    Clinton 40%
    http://www.whdh.com/story/31164312/7newsumass-lowell-poll-nh-tracking-poll-day-8
  • Options
    EPG said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Despicable.

Is it more paranoid to believe that Breitbart readers might have written some of those comments, or is it more paranoid to believe in a big conspiracy in the West Midlands that only a far-right American website can reveal?

This is my quandary.
    But it wasn't your quandary, was it? There is no question in your head, you're not examining the evidence. You've just dismissed the story, and presumed it is made-up by Fascists, as otherwise it makes you too uncomfortable.

Address the point dear.

I don't know about this story so can't comment. One general point I would make is this: when a person in charge of an institution has lost the trust - or appears to have - lost the trust of part of his staff or clients then it is very hard to come back from that. People will accept an inquiry which has credibility because they trust the people running it, even if they don't like the outcome, if they believe the process was tough and fair.

But if the people in charge don't have that credibility then that can taint the inquiry and any remedial action, however good they may be. So the tone and the actions right at the start are really important. Independent and tough minded investigation by people who are not - and cannot credibly be said to be - in awe of anyone matters. Not always easy to get, I grant you.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

I given all my girlfriends huge orgasms.

Unfortunately they spat them back out.

I'll give myself a yellow card for the rest of the evening.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Did you have to share that information with us?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Despicable.

This is my quandary.

Address the point dear.

I don't know about this story so can't comment. One general point I would make is this: when a person in charge of an institution has lost the trust - or appears to have - lost the trust of part of his staff or clients then it is very hard to come back from that. People will accept an inquiry which has credibility because they trust the people running it, even if they don't like the outcome, if they believe the process was tough and fair.

But if the people in charge don't have that credibility then that can taint the inquiry and any remedial action, however good they may be. So the tone and the actions right at the start are really important. Independent and tough minded investigation by people who are not - and cannot credibly be said to be - in awe of anyone matters. Not always easy to get, I grant you.

Agreed.

Part of leadership is being held to a much higher standard than Joe Soap, and being rewarded commensurately, but also having to move aside in a Caesar's wife situation.
  • Options
    ARG New Hampshire

GOP
    Trump 30%
    Rubio 16%
    Cruz 10%
    Kasich 16%
    Bush 9%
    Christie 6%
    Fiorina 3%
    Carson 1%

Dems
    Sanders 53%
    Clinton 41%
    http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/nhrep.html
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

That'll teach you for taking them on a date to Baker Street.........

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Do cigars count?

Also, if Clinton becomes so associated with Hilary in the primaries that he can't campaign for Saunders convincingly, might that damage the Dems' Congressional campaign?
    No one should forget that it was Bill who repealed Glass Steagal leading to the carnage in 2008, and whilst he was in charge student loans were made non-dischargeable on bankruptcy, helping to enslave a generation of young Americans. When I see all those young naive people at Hilary's rallies, I automatically think of how they became enslaved under Bill's presidency. Hilary is bought and paid by the big moneyed interests of Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Sanders and Trump aren't popular because of their own agendas, they're popular because American's get it that they are not bought and paid for by the big moneyed interests of the establishment. And all of that is before you look at Hilary's (or Hiltery if you're unkind!) risible claim that she is for the poor when she thought nothing of spending $150,000 one weekend renting an apartment at the Hamptons. And all the corruption doling out government contracts to her nearest and dearest, and I haven't even mentioned all those top state secret emails on her personal account. It's no wonder that she's desperate, and I'm having fun seeing the Clinton's getting their due desserts for all the damage they've done to American over the past quarter century. CNN and the American mainstream media can support her all they like, but the more they do, the more the ordinary American is revolting against it.....the elastic has been stretched too far to borrow John Major's memorable phrase from his memoirs, there is a limit to what you can get away with before the people being to wake up.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

ARG New Hampshire

GOP
    Trump 30%
    Rubio 16%
    Cruz 10%
    Kasich 16%
    Bush 9%
    Christie 6%
    Fiorina 3%
    Carson 1%

Dems
    Sanders 53%
    Clinton 41%
    http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/nhrep.html

I would think a result along those lines would see Christie drop out and Kasich a stay in for a while, probably until Super Tuesday. Bush would limp on out of pride, but I wouldn't see him lasting beyond SC unless a miracle happens. i.e. a four horse race after SC of Trump, Cruz, Rubio and Kasich.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Despicable.

This is my quandary.

Address the point dear.

Agreed.

Part of leadership is being held to a much higher standard than Joe Soap, and being rewarded commensurately, but also having to move aside in a Caesar's wife situation.
    The most important aspect of leadership is taking responsibility. If you're in charge, it's your body in front of the train first. That's why you're paid more.

The buck stops with you. Public life and many private institutions would have been so much the better had that simple lesson been tattooed on the forehead of those seemingly in charge.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2016
    Just two bookies are making a market for the Republican Vice Presidency and both, rather surprisingly but perhaps tellingly, have John Kasich as the clear favourite with Ladbrokes going 5/2 and Betfair slightly skinnier on 2/1.
    Ridiculously short odds at this stage of the proceedings with the possible field as yet wide open, but it does suggest that the Ohio Governor has already made quite an impression of late and might yet finish second in the GOP New Hampshire primary tomorrow. I hope so, I've backed him! BTW he's at stand-out odds of 80/1 with sportingbet to win the Republican nomination for the top job. That around double the odds or more than what's on offer from some of the other firms.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

I heard that attributed to Mae West

Interviewer: "Miss West, do you ever talk to your husband during sex?"
    Ms West: "Only if there's a telephone handy"
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    Then the French based Eurotunnel will be fined into extinction. They'll be made liable in the same way that airlines get walloped for allowing illegals to enter the UK on flights.
    What could Eurotunnel do about it other than shut the Channel Tunnel?
    Spend a lot of money installing more security, increase checks of vehicles and trains within their compound in Calais etc

And if it eats into margins, and makes their business model untenable? So what. Airlines are expected to do the same without massive subsidies from the taxpayer.

None of this is rocket science. The investors and backers want to keep their returns up, and would rather not spend the money, but if the threat of enforced closure is on the table, they'll find a way to reduce the numbers entering via their 2 holes in the ground.
  • Options

Just two bookies are making a market for the Republican Vice Presidency and both, rather surprisingly but perhaps tellingly, have John Kasich as the clear favourite with Ladbrokes going 5/2 and Betfair slightly skinnier on 2/1.
    Ridiculously short odds at this stage of the proceedings with the possible field as yet wide open, but it does suggest that the Ohio Governor has already made quite an impression of late and might yet finish second in the GOP New Hampshire primary tomorrow. I hope so, I've backed him!

I would add Nikki Haley and Susana Martinez to your portfolio of Veep candidates, if you don't already have them.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Read the comments to this petition. It seems to be true. Just incredible.

https://www.change.org/p/board-of-governors-for-sir-william-stanier-mr-fraser-should-resign-as-head-of-sir-william-stanier/c
    I'm slightly bemused by: "arrested for possession of a plank of wood". I wonder what the exact law used was: possession of an offensive weapon? going equipped?
    It's a plank of wood, officer...
    Mmmmm..... It looks like a rather large baseball bat to me?
    Ok....ok so It's a large carved plank of wood then.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2016
    Now on the BBC...we Beeboids are crapping it that we have to live in Salford....HELPPPPP...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    Then the French based Eurotunnel will be fined into extinction. They'll be made liable in the same way that airlines get walloped for allowing illegals to enter the UK on flights.
    Spend a lot of money installing more security, increase checks of vehicles and trains within their compound in Calais etc

And if it eats into margins, and makes their business model untenable? So what. Airlines are expected to do the same without massive subsidies from the taxpayer.

None of this is rocket science. The investors and backers want to keep their returns up, and would rather not spend the money, but if the threat of enforced closure is on the table, they'll find a way to reduce the numbers entering via their 2 holes in the ground.
    And we could always use the threat of nationalision, if it's deemed to be critical infrastructure.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Agree with some of that, but a minor point: airlines get untaxed fuel. Although it's worse in the US, where (from memory) they get other exemptions. But in the government's defence, there are obvious issues with taxing fuel for planes in one country, which is why there is a treaty governing it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-airlines-16310bn-government-fuel-subsidy-842770.html
    https://fullfact.org/news/does-government-subsidise-airlines-10-billion/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    hunchman said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Do cigars count?

No one should forget that it was Bill who repealed Glass Steagal leading to the carnage in 2008, and whilst he was in charge student loans were made non-dischargeable on bankruptcy, helping to enslave a generation of young Americans. When I see all those young naive people at Hilary's rallies, I automatically think of how they became enslaved under Bill's presidency. Hilary is bought and paid by the big moneyed interests of Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Sanders and Trump aren't popular because of their own agendas, they're popular because American's get it that they are not bought and paid for by the big moneyed interests of the establishment. And all of that is before you look at Hilary's (or Hiltery if you're unkind!) risible claim that she is for the poor when she thought nothing of spending $150,000 one weekend renting an apartment at the Hamptons. And all the corruption doling out government contracts to her nearest and dearest, and I haven't even mentioned all those top state secret emails on her personal account. It's no wonder that she's desperate, and I'm having fun seeing the Clinton's getting their due desserts for all the damage they've done to American over the past quarter century. CNN and the American mainstream media can support her all they like, but the more they do, the more the ordinary American is revolting against it.....the elastic has been stretched too far to borrow John Major's memorable phrase from his memoirs, there is a limit to what you can get away with before the people being to wake up.
    Nice to see you on. What do you make of the chart for the cost of insurance of investment rated bank debt in this article? :http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/12146915/Fears-over-new-financial-crisis-come-back-to-haunt-global-markets-in-day-of-trading-turmoil.html

It seems incredibly reminiscent of the run up to Lehmann to me.
  • Options

Speedy said:

"Some rooms were booked under the name "Mr Conservatives"."

LOL! Well that was subtle!
    Would have been even more subtle to book them under Mr. D. Milliband and then if you were caught apologise profusely saying you actually meant Ed Milliband.

• Options

Ridiculously short odds at this stage of the proceedings with the possible field as yet wide open, but it does suggest that the Ohio Governor has already made quite an impression of late and might yet finish second in the GOP New Hampshire primary tomorrow. I hope so, I've backed him! BTW he's at stand-out odds of 80/1 with sportingbet to win the Republican nomination for the top job. That around double the odds or more than what's on offer from some of the other firms.

Ohio is a key swing state so a successful and popular Governor must be an obvious possibility for anybody's list. If Rubio could swing Florida and Kasich Ohio the Republicans would be in a very good place.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Agree with some of that, but a minor point: airlines get untaxed fuel. Although it's worse in the US, where (from memory) they get other exemptions. But in the government's defence, there are obvious issues with taxing fuel for planes in one country, which is why there is a treaty governing it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-airlines-16310bn-government-fuel-subsidy-842770.html
    ?

Subsidies for security.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    edited February 2016
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

watford30 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

?
    I was referring to the fact that the airlines don't pay various duties on fuel, and this could be seen as a rather large subsidy to them. And as long-distance trains and coaches have to pay those taxes, it puts them at a significant disadvantage compared to airlines.

Ah sorry, just seen your edit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The chart of Jeb Bush's price on betfair is hilarious. I do not understand his price or its movements at all.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ohio is a key swing state so a successful and popular Governor must be an obvious possibility for anybody's list. If Rubio could swing Florida and Kasich Ohio the Republicans would be in a very good place.
    At the beginning of the campaign, I stated that my dream ticket was Kasich on the top and Rubio on the bottom of the ticket. At this point, either of them on the top with Nikki Haley as their veep would also be pretty good in terms of taking on Hillary.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

SeanT said:

EPG said:

Kids fight in playground

Despicable.
    First rule of Government is to protect it's people,how can you protect your people with open borders ?

You can't.
    You can actually. You can have laws and enforce them impartially against foreigners as well as natives.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

Despicable.

This is my quandary.

Address the point dear.

Agreed.

The most important aspect of leadership is taking responsibility. If you're in charge, it's your body in front of the train first. That's why you're paid more.

The buck stops with you. Public life and many private institutions would have been so much the better had that simple lesson been tattooed on the forehead of those seemingly in charge.

O/T leading from the front? being in charge? All great stuff so one could presume that's why Mr Clinton had the classic sign on his desk allowing sufficient deniability for sexual relations......

"The fuck stops here"
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MTimT said:

DavidL said:

At the beginning of the campaign, I stated that my dream ticket was Kasich on the top and Rubio on the bottom of the ticket. At this point, either of them on the top with Nikki Haley as their veep would also be pretty good in terms of taking on Hillary.
    Nikki Haley has potential but she also has a very safe State. Susana Martinez would be a better option if you wanted a woman and she is the current Chair of the Republican Governors as well. Her State has trended Democratic of late and she would also address the Latino factor to some degree if Rubio wasn't on the ticket.

Edit Or maybe not: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/12/susana-martinez-inebriated-hotel
  • Options
    Brought Christie into line with Bush at -700 for me

Christie will be dead and buried in 48 hours I reckon. Polls fading for him in NH where he needs to come second, but will come fifth.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

SeanT said:

EPG said:

Kids fight in playground

Despicable.

You can't.
    You can actually. You can have laws and enforce them impartially against foreigners as well as natives.
    Depends what you are talking about. Open borders certainly hindered the ability of the French Government to protect its citizens in November. It doesn't matter how impartial you are, if you don't have the basic tools in place to prevent undesirables entering your country undetected you have lost before you start.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

No one ....up.

Nice to see you on. What do you make of the chart for the cost of insurance of investment rated bank debt in this article? :http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/12146915/Fears-over-new-financial-crisis-come-back-to-haunt-global-markets-in-day-of-trading-turmoil.html

It seems incredibly reminiscent of the run up to Lehmann to me.

Nice to see you to DavidL.

This is all a warm up act to the big event that I thought would get going from the start of October last year, but seems to have been put back to starting in late May, namely the sovereign debt crisis. We're getting this false move right now of a stock sell off, and everyone looking through the prism of 2008 as to what follows next. We need this final move into sovereign debt in order to propel the market the other way after May. This upcoming crisis isn't going to be like 2008, yes the banks will be holding the bag when the sovereign debt crisis really starts, but first we need a sell off in stocks (and the related move into sovereign debt to get everyone facing the wrong way). I'm seeing a temporary bottom in stocks next week, but I'm looking at a very important low in the late April / May time frame around 13,000 on the Dow if everything aligns as I suspect. Note how we are also going through a temporary correction lower in the US Dollar, short term over bought, but consolidation for the big move higher once we get past May. Things are certainly warming up, as I thought they would post September last year, look at credit default swaps on Deutsche Bank, the market smells a rat there alright, their shares were down 9.5% today, and are standing fractionally above the March 2009 low. The big money has a stark choice between stocks and bonds.....and the main bubble is in the sovereign bond market, not in stocks. As I learnt to my cost post 2008, you can't look at one market in isolation. Everything is one way or another inter-linked. Stocks won't rise post-May because the global economy is doing well, quite the opposite. But capital has to shelter somewhere from the storm, and that is the least worst option as far as corporate capital is concerned. Its going to be quite a ride to put it mildly. Gold is a bit of a puzzle to me right now, the rally has been stronger than I expected and is really pushing the boundaries, I really don't want to see it above the resistance at $1208 - I still think we need to see a final capitulation move towards the $900 area as a minimum, before it can rally in the sovereign debt crisis, but it really seems to be taking its time to get to where I think it needs to be in order for the great rally ahead as a hedge against government to begin. It looks to me as though that is going to be pushed off into early 2017 now but we shall see.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MTimT said:

DavidL said:

Nikki Haley has potential but she also has a very safe State. Susana Martinez would be a better option if you wanted a woman and she is the current Chair of the Republican Governors as well. Her State has trended Democratic of late and she would also address the Latino factor to some degree if Rubio wasn't on the ticket.

Edit Or maybe not: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/12/susana-martinez-inebriated-hotel
    But both blunt the war on women, and both are minorities.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2016
    You can lay Carson (Carson!) for 10 for Rep VP candidate. Madness.
  • Options
    These guys seriously, seriously just don't get it.

Some serious victim blaming here... She was 14 FFS , and this from a local councillor no doubt a pillar of local society also know as a " community leader" .

It takes two to tango....

"The gang of men from Pakistani origin were jailed for a total of 140 years at Bradford Crown Court today, for 13 months of horrendous abuse of the British white girl in 2011 and 2012. However, the councillor for Keighley Central, where the abuse took place, has admitted that some members of the Muslim community felt 'it takes two to tango' and that the girl may have 'played her part'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3437252/Twelve-men-repeatedly-gang-raped-abused-vulnerable-teenage-schoolgirl-saw-utterly-worthless-jailed-total-140-YEARS.html
  • Options
    The FT is leading tomorrow with a story that HSBC is going to stay in London. That's an important story if it's true.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Alistair said:

The chart of Jeb Bush's price on betfair is hilarious. I do not understand his price or its movements at all.

The joke isn't so funny when you have laid him 50/1000 at 20 :p

His price is bizzaro to say the least.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

You can lay Carson (Carson!) for 10 for Rep VP candidate. Madness.

This is one of those so obviously mad thibgs tgat I am frightened to tread in that market.
  • Options

The FT is leading tomorrow with a story that HSBC is going to stay in London. That's an important story if it's true.

Excellent, we can all vote leave knowing it won't result in an exodus for the financial sector.

Of course we knew that anyway but nice to see some confirmation.
  • Options

What, even if we leave the EU?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    hunchman said:

Nice to see you to DavidL.

This is all a warm up act to the big event that I thought would get going from the start of October last year, but seems to have been put back to starting in late May, namely the sovereign debt crisis. We're getting this false move right now of a stock sell off, and everyone looking through the prism of 2008 as to what follows next. We need this final move into sovereign debt in order to propel the market the other way after May. This upcoming crisis isn't going to be like 2008, yes the banks will be holding the bag when the sovereign debt crisis really starts, but first we need a sell off in stocks (and the related move into sovereign debt to get everyone facing the wrong way). I'm seeing a temporary bottom in stocks next week, but I'm looking at a very important low in the late April / May time frame around 13,000 on the Dow if everything aligns as I suspect. Note how we are also going through a temporary correction lower in the US Dollar, short term over bought, but consolidation for the big move higher once we get past May. Things are certainly warming up, as I thought they would post September last year, look at credit default swaps on Deutsche Bank, the market smells a rat there alright, their shares were down 9.5% today, and are standing fractionally above the March 2009 low. The big money has a stark choice between stocks and bonds.....and the main bubble is in the sovereign bond market, not in stocks. As I learnt to my cost post 2008, you can't look at one market in isolation. Everything is one way or another inter-linked. Stocks won't rise post-May because the global economy is doing well, quite the opposite. But capital has to shelter somewhere from the storm, and that is the least worst option as far as corporate capital is concerned. (snip) It looks to me as though that is going to be pushed off into early 2017 now but we shall see.

I said:
    Always interesting. It seems to me that insurance rates like that indicate that there is considerable uncertainty about the value of "investment grade" bank debt which is 2008 all over again. As you say there seems to be a link to Deutsche Bank in particular as their stock has fallen a long way.

If we got to the point that the Sovereigns had to recapitalise the Banks once again I think there would be real issues of their solvency, especially for those that find it difficult to print. The collapse of the flow of easy credit from the Oil exporters' surpluses may also reduce liquidity at a difficult time.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Some serious victim blaming here... She was 14 FFS , and this from a local councillor no doubt a pillar of local society also know as a " community leader" .

"The gang of men from Pakistani origin were jailed for a total of 140 years at Bradford Crown Court today, for 13 months of horrendous abuse of the British white girl in 2011 and 2012. However, the councillor for Keighley Central, where the abuse took place, has admitted that some members of the Muslim community felt 'it takes two to tango' and that the girl may have 'played her part'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3437252/Twelve-men-repeatedly-gang-raped-abused-vulnerable-teenage-schoolgirl-saw-utterly-worthless-jailed-total-140-YEARS.html

These 13 year olds are gagging for it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

You could have made a pretty penny just riding the waves.

So there's plenty of money - but where's it coming from? The campaign? Some other market?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

That is disgusting. Child abuse. Beginning, middle and end of it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

What, even if we leave the EU?
    Big bank wants to stay a big bank shock!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Moses_ said:

When you have this sort of case happening in Pakistan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukhtār_Mā'ī - is it any surprise that certain people from that community would think that a child being raped is the equivalent of doing the "tango"?

(Edited): Some of our own police also seemed to think that such girls are somehow at fault for what happens to them. So it's a horrible horrible mixture of cultural misogyny and contempt for girls not perceived as "good girls". A toxic mix of "they're asking for it" and "they're non-Asian white trash".
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

So there's plenty of money - but where's it coming from? The campaign? Some other market?
    I think Jeb's campaign might be keeping him up on Predictit.

Someone will be lucky enough to have the ability to be on both predictit and Betfair and be arbing,

Perhaps that is then coming through to Betfair.
  • Options

Money talks. Their customers in the East have doubtless made it clear that they would prefer to keep their cash safe in a London bank rather than one based within reach of the government in Beijing.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Money talks. Their customers in the East have doubtless made it clear that they would prefer to keep their cash safe in a London bank rather than one based within reach of the government in Beijing.
    This may be true. But does where a bank situates its headquarters affect the security of your money if it is held in a branch in another country?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Has Liam Fox really been all over the news today claiming "there is no link between brexit and borders"?

is that really the outers message of the day?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Yes, it was pretty much set after Osborne backed down on the balance sheet tax. Good thing too.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    We've got a complete post debate N.H poll:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

http://gravismarketing.com/polling-and-market-research/gravis-ivr-survey-shows-trump-leading-in-new-hampshire
  • Options
    Bush in to 11/1 on Betfair and *shorter* than Cruz for the Presidency!

Truly, the mind boggles.
  • Options
    @prchovanec: It would be very unfair of me to crack a joke about socialism right now. https://t.co/n5VXoSrzSg
  • Options

Now on the BBC...we Beeboids are crapping it that we have to live in Salford....HELPPPPP...

They may have to work in Salford, a bit like Wayne Rooney. They can live in a lot of nice places within easy commuting distance, like Wayne Rooney et al.
  • Options

Truly, the mind boggles.

NH is much much much easier for Jeb than Cruz.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

When you have this sort of case happening in Pakistan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukhtār_Mā'ī - is it any surprise that certain people from that community would think that a child being raped is the equivalent of doing the "tango"?

(Edited): Some of our own police also seemed to think that such girls are somehow at fault for what happens to them. So it's a horrible horrible mixture of cultural misogyny and contempt for girls not perceived as "good girls". A toxic mix of "they're asking for it" and "they're non-Asian white trash".
    In fairness, the police here seem to have taken the whole thing more seriously than their counterparts in South Yorkshire would have done.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Truly, the mind boggles.

NH is much much much easier for Jeb than Cruz.
    This is for the Next President.

It's insane.
  • Options
    It seems the momentum heading into the N.H. vote is with Kasich and Bush, but will it be enough though to defeat Trump?

But Rubio losing to Bush is terminal for Rubio.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Has Liam Fox really been all over the news today claiming "there is no link between brexit and borders"?

Their message is that Cameron is a liar.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

http://gravismarketing.com/polling-and-market-research/gravis-ivr-survey-shows-trump-leading-in-new-hampshire

Ooh, glad I stuck a bung on Kasich.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Depends what you are talking about. Open borders certainly hindered the ability of the French Government to protect its citizens in November. It doesn't matter how impartial you are, if you don't have the basic tools in place to prevent undesirables entering your country undetected you have lost before you start.
    Actually, and somewhat at random, I was thinking about the obligations of a libertarian minimal state to protect its citizens from domestic and foreign enemies. Clearly such a state must defend against an armed invasion. If peaceable foreigners arrive then it should allow them to enter the country and not interfere with them while they obey the laws. If they break a law it should act against them.

I think there are two additional scenarios in the air at present. Firstly, peaceable foreigners may arrive in such numbers that existing residents may dislike it and object that their jobs or culture are under threat. A minimal state cannot do anything about that. On a libertarian view it is simply not a legitimate exercise of state power to preserve, say, the primacy of the English language or my job.

Secondly, there may be the scenario you mention: apparently peaceable foreigners who are actually anything but. What can be done about them (within the self-imposed limitations of a libertarian minimal state)? I think border controls that were designed solely to exclude such people would be fine (obligatory, even). However, border controls for any other purpose than protection against a genuine physical threat would not be.

Of course, France and Britain are light-years from being minimal states and I'm not a libertarian myself. But I like the idea that one should assume a minimal foundation for the state and then build upwards rather than assume a baroque cathedral and chip bits off.

In our current situation I think the question of screening arrivals for people that actively intend to harm us should be given higher priority than merely trying to reduce absolute numbers by any kind of accounting trick we can think of.

We also have to remember that as far as Islamist terrorists go, we are a net producer, so we can't solve this problem at the border. At least not entirely.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Well, he is paying people to attend his rallies. Why not pay to maintain his price too?

Honestly, he could just cut out the middle man and write me a cheque.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ridiculously short odds at this stage of the proceedings with the possible field as yet wide open, but it does suggest that the Ohio Governor has already made quite an impression of late and might yet finish second in the GOP New Hampshire primary tomorrow. I hope so, I've backed him!

I would add Nikki Haley and Susana Martinez to your portfolio of Veep candidates, if you don't already have them.
    Thanks for that - I think you mentioned Ms Haley previously. I'll check them both out in the betting markets.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

On NH? or the nomination?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

But Leave won't win by socking it to Cameron.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

At this rate it could be Trump, Kasich or Bush in N.H., but not Rubio, it looks like his debate performance will knock him down to 4th and thus probably out of the nomination if he's beaten by Bush (the establishment will throw him under the bus).

But I caution because polls are rarely reliable.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

I imagine EPG's response would be pretty similar. "White girls have always been slags", "this stuff happens to sluts, so what", "they wanted cigs, got a bit more, what's the big story".

Etc

And then the Labour Party turns around, and wonders why it has lost the support of the white working classes, across England and Scotland.

EPG can answer for himself. I think any decent person would be utterly horrified at this story. It is a great pity for crimes such as this to become party political. It makes dealing with them effectively so much harder.

The community leader who is quoted does seem to exhibit elements of stages 4 and 6 of my Infallible Guide to Cock-Ups The World Over:

"4. People accept that something has gone wrong but insist that it is limited to "1 or 2 bad apples".

6. People become more concerned with protecting the institution (in this case the reputation of the Muslim community) than dealing with what is wrong."

One can only really move forward if one has first accepted the scale of the problem and taken real and effective steps to deal with it. Otherwise, it just sounds like evading action.

The other aspect of this, often forgotten, is that it is quite likely that girls and women within the community are also suffering abuse but are far less likely to speak up about it. That too is a horrendous crime which is often overlooked. It is not just an Asian-on-white crime. People who can treat a child like this are, I would guess, unlikely to be gentlemen in bed when it comes to their wives.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

Telling people that if we leave the EU we won't be able to control our borders wasn't exactly a smart move from Cameron.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe not, but in this instance, Cameron was lying.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Well, your message has been: if we gain control of our frontiers, then all the migrants in Calais will start a new Jungle near Margate, complete with open sewers, instead of moving to, say, London. And why will they do that? Because I, the prime minister, says it will happen, because I will deliberately lose control of the frontiers, to serve you right, hahaha

This message was actually delivered by the prime minister himself. Triumphant stuff.
    No the PM has said that if we didn't have the border at Calais then the French would simply waive them onto our soil. Once a refugee is on our soil they're nigh on impossible to remove as the rest of Europe have found out so we would end up with camps in our country rather than France.

All of which is true. The fact you find it an inconvenient truth doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

That poll could almost have been of me, it's so close to my reaction, except that I don't get the plaudits for Kasich.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Actually, and somewhat at random, I was thinking about the obligations of a libertarian minimal state to protect its citizens from domestic and foreign enemies. Clearly such a state must defend against an armed invasion. If peaceable foreigners arrive then it should allow them to enter the country and not interfere with them while they obey the laws. If they break a law it should act against them.

I think there are two additional scenarios in the air at present. Firstly, peaceable foreigners may arrive in such numbers that existing residents may dislike it and object that their jobs or culture are under threat. A minimal state cannot do anything about that. On a libertarian view it is simply not a legitimate exercise of state power to preserve, say, the primacy of the English language or my job.

Secondly, there may be the scenario you mention: apparently peaceable foreigners who are actually anything but. What can be done about them (within the self-imposed limitations of a libertarian minimal state)? I think border controls that were designed solely to exclude such people would be fine (obligatory, even). However, border controls for any other purpose than protection against a genuine physical threat would not be.

Of course, France and Britain are light-years from being minimal states and I'm not a libertarian myself. But I like the idea that one should assume a minimal foundation for the state and then build upwards rather than assume a baroque cathedral and chip bits off.

In our current situation I think the question of screening arrivals for people that actively intend to harm us should be given higher priority than merely trying to reduce absolute numbers by any kind of accounting trick we can think of.

We also have to remember that as far as Islamist terrorists go, we are a net producer, so we can't solve this problem at the border. At least not entirely.

There is no contradiction at all between Libertarianism and borders. We are talking about 'small state' not 'no state' and one of the basic duties mainstream Libertarians ascribe to the state is the maintenance of the integrity of the state and the protection of its citizens from external threat.

There is a branch of Libertarianism known as Propertarianism which advocates the only duties of the state to be to enforce contracts and property rights but this is a very extreme form which most Libertarians do not adhere to.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Well, your message has been: if we gain control of our frontiers, then all the migrants in Calais will start a new Jungle near Margate, complete with open sewers, instead of moving to, say, London. And why will they do that? Because I, the prime minister, says it will happen, because I will deliberately lose control of the frontiers, to serve you right, hahaha

This message was actually delivered by the prime minister himself. Triumphant stuff.
    No the PM has said that if we didn't have the border at Calais then the French would simply waive them onto our soil. Once a refugee is on our soil they're nigh on impossible to remove as the rest of Europe have found out so we would end up with camps in our country rather than France.

All of which is true. The fact you find it an inconvenient truth doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.
    But the French have explained why the Le Touquet Treaty is in their interests as well as ours.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited February 2016
    Wanderer said:

I like your analogy by the way and agree that the basic concept of ground up Governance is one of the things that appeals to me about Libertarianism.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No he wasn't. If we lose the French border then we'll have refugees landing in England and then we won't be realistically able to remove them. If you have a genius way of removing them then I think Greece and every other country in Europe will be interested.

It is easier to keep them out than it is to remove them.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: Hearing SNP councillor @jmcanultySNP has been suspended by party over alleged racist comments https://t.co/Rsn5oZBj2q
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

But the French have explained why the Le Touquet Treaty is in their interests as well as ours.
    It is until it isn't. If we start abandoning our international agreements it will be quite easy for France to abandon this one at the same time.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

Yes, It's suddenly looking very good for him, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? He's actually exactly what the Republicans need after a pretty unattractive array of candidates thus far.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Gravis, N.H.

Trump 28 -1
    Kasich 17 +4
    Rubio 15 -4
    Bush 14 +6
    Cruz 11 -4
    Christie 6 0

That poll could almost have been of me, it's so close to my reaction, except that I don't get the plaudits for Kasich.
    New Hampshire is a moderate state, Kasich came across as the only one who wasn't a loon (In reality Christie is more centrist actually) but that wasn't the impression from the debate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No he wasn't. If we lose the French border then we'll have refugees landing in England and then we won't be realistically able to remove them. If you have a genius way of removing them then I think Greece and every other country in Europe will be interested.

The PM is threatening that if we leave the EU the French will repudiate the Le Touquet Treaty. The French have denied this.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How the hell did Out let Cameron give them ownership of the migrant crisis? Cameron's chutzpah is both despicable and awesome, but Out must be able to deal with gutter tactics such as this. Instead they're running around like headless chickens with eighty volts up their jacksies. Out need to find a spokesman with an air of command, or I can see this going belly up. Appoint Boris as leader now!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

They won't win just by doing that, but damaging REMAIN's supposed USP and Great Salesman, Dave "The Plan" Cameron, is an important part of the job.

Weirdly, he seems intent on helping them, all by himself.
    The key swing electorate are Tories. 90%+ plus think he walks on water.

Even if that drops a bit over this (and it hasn't much in 6 years) there are many loyal Tories who will be turned off by it who'd otherwise be for Leave.

Leave should attack the EU and the fact it's not serious about reform.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Save that they are not refugees are they? France is a safe country. We are not talking about camps of Huguenots, are we?

I don't understand why the government doesn't just say that no-one from the camps who makes it to the UK will even be allowed to make an asylum claim since they are in a safe country, indeed in one of the most civilised in the world. Anyone who makes it across will be arrested and prosecuted and then deported and, if they refuse to say where are they from, they will be kept in secure detention until they do tell us or agree to go to some other country.

Others have already explained why it is unlikely we would have camps, what the French have said and what other steps might be taken.

The migrant issue is not going to be resolved either by voting Remain or Leave. It will still be there whatever the result. But Cameron is talking balls on this.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I don't know, Cameron is looking less and less an asset for Remain each day. His cack-handedness this last week or so is quite surprising. Is Cameron in a competition with Corbyn to see who can propose the stupidest idea of the week? Right now Corbyn's non-nuclear nuclear deterrent is narrowly beating Cameron's super-veto that only requires 16 parliaments to vote over against the EU parliament over the course of 8 weeks.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No we won't. That is just garbage. For that to happen we would have to have active French official collusion in the transport of illegal immigrants from the French coast to the UK. Either that or the complete collapse of the French State. These are the scenarios which are causing the migration across the Mediterranean. You might note that where there is stable Government with a police force enforcing the law on the African coast we do not see the massive numbers of migrants crossing in boats.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Save that they are not refugees are they? France is a safe country. We are not talking about camps of Huguenots, are we?

I don't understand why the government doesn't just say that no-one from the camps who makes it to the UK will even be allowed to make an asylum claim since they are in a safe country, indeed in one of the most civilised in the world. Anyone who makes it across will be arrested and prosecuted and then deported and, if they refuse to say where are they from, they will be kept in secure detention until they do tell us or agree to go to some other country.

Others have already explained why it is unlikely we would have camps, what the French have said and what other steps might be taken.

The migrant issue is not going to be resolved either by voting Remain or Leave. It will still be there whatever the result. But Cameron is talking balls on this.

It doesn't matter one jot if France is a safe country or not, once on British soil they can claim asylum from our government and then that is that.

Furthermore since (unlike with air travel) there is no penalty for SCNF if an illegal immigrant travels to the UK from France this was a major problem just over a decade ago and easily could be again.

If they get kept in secure detention like you proposed then that is EXACTLY what Cameron said. So Cameron is a liar because what Cameron said is true? Go figure.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I don't know, Cameron is looking less and less an asset for Remain each day. His cack-handedness this last week or so is quite surprising. Is Cameron in a competition with Corbyn to see who can propose the stupidest idea of the week? Right now Corbyn's non-nuclear nuclear deterrent is narrowly beating Cameron's super-veto that only requires 16 parliaments to vote over against the EU parliament over the course of 8 weeks.

As has become so clear in the last week, Cameron's just another lying politician, willing to say anything. Today's nonsense about the Sangatte protocols simply confirms that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

We just tell any carrier, ferry or train or lorry, that it's your responsibility to keep them out. So they will. This is why there aren't 50,000 asylum seekers at Heathrow, every day. It works

At that point, the only way they can get here is by raft over the English Channel. But they can do that now. Yet they choose not to do so, because it is extremely fucking dangerous.

It is utterly abasing that the prime minister of Great Britain trots out this shite.
    It works because that is the law with air travel, whereas French law forbids SCNF from carrying out document checks. So then what? This is not an imaginary problem or shite this is a real problem that was happening on a massive scale as recently as the start of the last decade.
This discussion has been closed.