Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In May we might find out if Corbyn is the liability for Lab

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indeed she, like every Tory leader since the very beginning of the EU wanted to stay in, albeit with certain reforms. Her position was much the same as Cameron and Osborne now.

:-)

See my quotes from her 2003 book below.

Also the record shows that she was a tough negotiator and actually got some reforms, Cameron and Osborne... not so much.
    2003 was 14 years after she left power.

While she had power, she integrated Britain further into the EU.
    Christ on a bike, Powell was suggesting what she would do now, do you think what she said in 2003 or 14 years earlier is going to be most relevant there ? Also we are talking about the EU as it is now, not as it was in 1999. You really don't have to try this hard, we are taking your pro-EU credentials as read.
    We might as well speculate on what Attlee or Chamberlain's views would be on this referendum then!

The simple facts are that while she held the reins, she integrated Britain further into the European institutions, despite plenty of opportunity to campaign to leave.

Now you may think her an unprincipled waverer swayed by the pro-Europeans around her, but my impression of the lady is that she was not afraid of making her views known!
    All of which ignores the fact that it was her opposition to further EU integration that resulted in her being removed by the Eurofanatical morons in her own party.
    It was the plunging polls in response to the poll tax fiasco that led to her downfall.
    That could have been survived. The Eurofanatic morons set out to destroy her because of her hardening opposition to ever closer union. The poll tax issue was simply a good excuse.
    Mrs Thatcher lost the confidence of her parliamentary party. Partly that was because she was at loggerheads with Europhiles. Partly that was because of the loss of the Eastbourne by-election to the previously dead Liberal Democrats. (And following the MP being blown up by the IRA.) Partly it was fall out from the Poll Tax. And partly it was because she had simply been in the job too long, and was older and more tired than she had been 15 years earlier when she'd become leader of the Conservative Party.
    She had gone rather batty at the end. Drunk on her own delusions of self-certainty.
    The Tories approached my father for a donation in 1988. He said "not so long as that woman is your leader".

They next approached him the day after she was sacked...
  • Options
    It's worth remembering that there are a whole raft of subjects and areas of study that are off limits at Chinese universities.

Google, born in a US university, could never have been created or developed in China. Neither could any technology that is founded on free access to information.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097
    SeanT said:

Problem with many Asian universities is rampant cheating in examination system, and authorities unwilling to confront it as would mean kicking out scions of wealthy families.

It's buzzword bingo

They cheat! Therefore they can never beat us. And they have eerie, slanted eyes. Also they have a weird penchant for tofu. What hope do such laughable underhumans have, of developing their own egalitarian university system which produces fine research, in stark contrast to our brilliant colleges which specifically exclude them on a racial basis in favour of stupider students. PAH!

We will rule forever, because we are Zoroastrians.
    Beat?

This isn't some kind of football league. We want to the do the best we can; not so we can shout "we did better than the Chinese!", but because we want to be richer, better educated, and the like.

China's rise will not cause University College London to shut it's gates as undergraduates stream off to Guaghzou. But it probably does inevitably mean that we'll end up with two or three genuinely would class universities rather than six or seven.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2016

It's worth remembering that there are a whole raft of subjects and areas of study that are off limits at Chinese universities.

Google, born in a US university, could never have been created or developed in China. Neither could any technology that is founded on free access to information.

For all the flaws in the US educational system, especially at high school level, there is a good reason why the likes of google come out of their uni system. And it is something UK unis, with the odd exception, are on the whole piss poor at and need to improve.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    edited February 2016
    Hmm On GOP I've not cashed out my Rubio GOP position, nor have I laid off my Rubio POTUS.

The discrepancy is still there between his GOP and POTUS odds, because if he's going to win GOP then I assume he'd need some sort of comeback narrative which would also improve his POTUS assuming GOP nom odds.

In fact shorn of the whole media narrative I think the current bet is to lay him at ~ 2.07.

Kasich, Christie, Cruz, Trump, Carson, Fiorina all arguably value. Bush looks short at ~ 14.5, but I'm exposed to him enough already.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599
    Charles said:

The Tories approached my father for a donation in 1988. He said "not so long as that woman is your leader".

What a heartwarming tale.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

How often have I heard this fucking shit. It's complacent bollocks.

Look at the university rankings. Asia is devouring us. And still precious petals cling on to the idea that we have some magic potion that cannot be copied, ever, really really really.

We don't. Look at the UK motorbike industry. That is the future of western universities. Unless we wise up.

This is clearly some new meaning of the word "devour" that I was previously unaware of.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

More seriously, China has 1.2bn people. If they didn't produce some fucking awesome universities, it would be a greater surprise.
    The fact that it hasn't done so as yet proving quite clearly that they have a long way to go.

Excluding Hong Kong, the top university in China is Peking. Some years ago I went to Cambridge to hear a paper given by a girl studying at Peking who was billed as one of their finest young historians, who was developing a whole new technique that would revolutionise Western history.

She proceeded to read Churchill's war memoirs, aloud, for 40 minutes getting most of the words wrong. As the man who is now head of history at a university in the south of England commented drily, 'I think that project has been done before - by some bloke called Churchill for a start.'

Like I say, talk of them being a serious threat in anything before the very long term is laughable hyperbole.

With that, goodnight.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Problem with many Asian universities is rampant cheating in examination system, and authorities unwilling to confront it as would mean kicking out scions of wealthy families.

It's buzzword bingo

They cheat! Therefore they can never beat us. And they have eerie, slanted eyes. Also they have a weird penchant for tofu. What hope do such laughable underhumans have, of developing their own egalitarian university system which produces fine research, in stark contrast to our brilliant colleges which specifically exclude them on a racial basis in favour of stupider students. PAH!

Beat?

This isn't some kind of football league. We want to the do the best we can; not so we can shout "we did better than the Chinese!", but because we want to be richer, better educated, and the like.

China's rise will not cause University College London to shut it's gates as undergraduates stream off to Guaghzou. But it probably does inevitably mean that we'll end up with two or three genuinely would class universities rather than six or seven.
    Oxford, Cambridge, and Hull?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

A poor reading of history.
    The tories were never in favour of ever closer union and giving up the Pound.
    Rightly or wrongly Thatcher was savaged from the back benches first by a Chancellor who resigned and than by a foreign secretary who resigned. Its easy to say it was all unfair but her actions led to it. The ex-chancellor, Lawson, is campaigning to leave the EU so he cannot be easily labelled a 'eurofanatic moron'.
    Beyond that the poll tax was survived - by Major, who brought in the council tax instead and won the next election. But the logic only worked because Thatcher was removed. Equally, rebelling against a leader and splitting the party (any party) comes with its price as well.

... the other supplementary cause of Thatcher's downfall was the old guard... who had never acceptd the idea that a woman, and even more so one from a non privileged background, Lincolnshire could ever lead the Tory party.

Fixed it for ya ;)
  • Options

For all the flaws in the US educational system, especially at high school level, there is a good reason why the likes of google come out of their uni system. And it is something UK unis are on the whole piss poor at.
    Actually, we have a pretty good record. ARM, Autonomy, Deep Mind, Rockstar, etc. Not as good as the US, sure, but pretty good.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

It's buzzword bingo

Beat?

Imperial, Cambridge and one other. Not clear who number three will be (if there is one).
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

For all the flaws in the US educational system, especially at high school level, there is a good reason why the likes of google come out of their uni system. And it is something UK unis are on the whole piss poor at.
    Actually, we have a pretty good record. ARM, Autonomy, Deep Mind, Rockstar, etc. Not as good as the US, sure, but pretty good.
    We still don't do anywhere near as well as we should given the level of research going on. In too many universities profit is a dirty word and monetizing / raising capital is seen as somehow comprising integrity.

Also...Autonomy - hmmm....Deep Mind, afaik, it hasn't come about in the university "incubator". My point isn't that the education system fails to develop well qualified thinkers / innovators, more that the university system is very poor at taking research they are doing and ideas from academics and turning them into the next big thing.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Look at the university rankings. Asia is devouring us. And still precious petals cling on to the idea that we have some magic potion that cannot be copied, ever, really really really.

We don't. Look at the UK motorbike industry. That is the future of western universities. Unless we wise up.

This is clearly some new meaning of the word "devour" that I was previously unaware of.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

More seriously, China has 1.2bn people. If they didn't produce some fucking awesome universities, it would be a greater surprise.
    Barely a generation ago, China experienced MASS FAMINE. Something not experienced in the West in 400 years (ex-Ireland, and blame that on their stupid lack of education).
    Are you becoming syphilitic?

There have been a dozen significant famines in the West, not even including the Chinese-style purely man-made ones like in the Second World War.

Education! My foot.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

It's buzzword bingo

Beat?

Imperial, Cambridge and one other. Not clear who number three will be (if there is one).
    Luton.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

WTFF are you talking about. Barely a generation ago, China experienced MASS FAMINE. Something not experienced in the West in 400 years (ex-Ireland, and blame that on their stupid lack of education). Even now 200m Chinese live on five dollars a day. Of course they won't be going to a Chinese bloody Harvard.

But given their progress, and - most of all - given the accepted, undenied and widespread natural East Asian advantage in IQ - about 5 points over whites, about 20 over blacks, etc - then they will very much vanquish us

http://humanvarieties.org/category/white-east-asian-iq-gap/
    Vanquish us?

You live in a land of hyperbole, unconstrained by evidence. Your rhetoric is flies higher than your average smack head.

You do realise that the paper you posted was about IQ differences in Asians in the US? Don't you think that it might be the smarter Asians who migrated to the US, and therefore they might not be representative of dullard farm hands.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

WTFF are you talking about. Barely a generation ago, China experienced MASS FAMINE. Something not experienced in the West in 400 years (ex-Ireland, and blame that on their stupid lack of education). Even now 200m Chinese live on five dollars a day. Of course they won't be going to a Chinese bloody Harvard.

But given their progress, and - most of all - given the accepted, undenied and widespread natural East Asian advantage in IQ - about 5 points over whites, about 20 over blacks, etc - then they will very much vanquish us

Thats Asian Americans, not Asians. IQ of countries not static. Ireland jumped something like 20 points over 20th Century.
  • Options

Loads of Chinese students where I work.

Can't imagine many European students attending Unis in the towns where the Chinese students come from.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

We still don't do anywhere near as well as we should given the level of research going on. In too many universities profit is a dirty word and monetizing / raising capital is seen as somehow comprising integrity.

Also...Autonomy - hmmm....Deep Mind, afaik, it hasn't come about in the university "incubator". My point isn't that the education system fails to develop well qualified thinkers / innovators, more that the university system is very poor at taking research they are doing and ideas from academics and turning them into the next big thing.
    NO university would turn down the money and the kudos.

The UK just doesn't have the massive defence establishment to prop up commercial research.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

How anyone can take China seriously as a developed nation until they start establishing and abiding by the rule of law absolutely baffles me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yep, we're OK, but a long way from the Americans. They turn university spin-outs into multi-billion dollar global leaders. We don't. Though ARM does come close.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    EPG said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Barely a generation ago, China experienced MASS FAMINE. Something not experienced in the West in 400 years (ex-Ireland, and blame that on their stupid lack of education).
    Are you becoming syphilitic?

There have been a dozen significant famines in the West, not even including the Chinese-style purely man-made ones like in the Second World War.

Education! My foot.
    Last famine in Europe: 1947
    Last famine in China: 1961.

Not that big a difference, and both more than 'a generation ago' although both also within living memory.

Have a good week.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yep, we're OK, but a long way from the Americans. They turn university spin-outs into multi-billion dollar global leaders. We don't. Though ARM does come close.

That's changing, though. Two decades ago, there were no commercial university incubators in the UK. There are probably a dozen now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reading you lot, I am now feeling much more confident about the future of the West than I have done for some time.

Care to explain your thinking?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

You live in a land of hyperbole, unconstrained by evidence. Your rhetoric is flies higher than your average smack head.

You do realise that the paper you posted was about IQ differences in Asians in the US? Don't you think that it might be the smarter Asians who migrated to the US, and therefore they might not be representative of dullard farm hands.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nations_and_intelligence

What caught my eye was the map, although couldn't comment on how accurate the studies are. In fact, critisim is noted in the article.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's changing, though. Two decades ago, there were no commercial university incubators in the UK. There are probably a dozen now.
    It is getting better, but we still need to do loads more.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's buzzword bingo

Never said they could never beat us. Just that cheating was major factor holding them back. Universities work because a degree from one is a stamp of quality. But everyone in international business knows graduates from biggest Chinese universities are very mixed bag, as many have paid others to take exams for them.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

How anyone can take China seriously as a developed nation until they start establishing and abiding by the rule of law absolutely baffles me.
    Not taking them seriously will not make them go away.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indeed she, like every Tory leader since the very beginning of the EU wanted to stay in, albeit with certain reforms. Her position was much the same as Cameron and Osborne now.

Also the record shows that she was a tough negotiator and actually got some reforms, Cameron and Osborne... not so much.

C
    W
    All of which ignores the fact that it was her opposition to further EU integration that resulted in her being removed by the Eurofanatical morons in her own party.
    It was the plunging polls in response to the poll tax fiasco that led to her downfall.
    That could have been survived. The Eurofanatic morons set out to destroy her because of her hardening opposition to ever closer union. The poll tax issue was simply a good excuse.
    Mrs Thatcher lost the confidence of her parliamentary party. Partly that was because she was at loggerheads with Europhiles. Partly that was because of the loss of the Eastbourne by-election to the previously dead Liberal Democrats. (And following the MP being blown up by the IRA.) Partly it was fall out from the Poll Tax. And partly it was because she had simply been in the job too long, and was older and more tired than she had been 15 years earlier when she'd become leader of the Conservative Party.

Like many things, it was not a single factor, but the confluence of many.
    As one who was around at he time, that's about right. Apart from the the LD's being "previously dead". They were coming back.
    Sure: (snip)
    I wonder how many in that conference audience from 1990 are (a) still alive and (b) still members of the party?

It seems a sea of grey hair to me.
    My uncle and aunt tick both categories, so that makes 2.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

@SeanT

More Lefty, anti-Western bleating from our resident Thriller Writer
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

China have a long way to go to overtake the west on research. They are pumping out lots of people / publications, but the quality is generally not very good and a lot of publications are tweaking current work, rather than ground breaking stuff.

If you have any interaction with those educated under the Chinese system will tell you they get rammed into them foundation knowledge, but the whole culture is based round learn what you have been told, don't dare challenge and values copy as highly as original work.

There is some incredible applied physics work that goes on in China. But by and large, I think you're right.

It's also no coincidence that the best Chinese students want to go the US for their doctoral work.
    I think synthetic biology is a field where the Chinese will feature too. currently they are worried how far behind they are falling, but they also have a lot of good people in the field - including in US and UK universities. BGI in Shenzhen, is a huge outfit - with hundreds of PhDs working on a mixture of genomics and synbio. They have the absolute best capacity at genome reading, and have the second biggest data storage in the world, after the NSA.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

Except, uh, PISA rankings, too

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science

But who cares, this is just EVIDENCE. What we need is OPINION and BANTER, based on PREJUDICE

Chinese evidence is literally tractor stats. (A great quip about British government statistics that coincidentally vanished precisely on the change of government in 2010).
    You know they claim to be growing at seven per cent this year?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science

But who cares, this is just EVIDENCE. What we need is OPINION and BANTER, based on PREJUDICE

And the evidence is that even though they have 1000's of universities, they only have 4 in the top 100. In order to score highly in worldwide uni rankings, it is based upon the quality of your published research.

There is no doubt that the learn by rote high school level education is equipping students with very good foundational knowledge.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

What caught my eye was the map, although couldn't comment on how accurate the studies are. In fact, critisim is noted in the article.
    W00t! We're smarter than the French!!!

The fact is that IQs for countries change dramatically over time. If you give a 14 year old Brit a test designed for a 14 year old from 1960, then the average would be 106-108. We've "added" six to eight IQ points in 50 years. The numbers for Ireland are even more startling, their average IQ has increased more than 20 points since 1900.

This tells me that it's probably a bit more complicated than: yellow skin smart, white skin OK, black skin dumb.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

A nation trying to develop a consumer economy without the rule of law? More likely to implode than be a proper threat.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

I'm pretty sure everyone would do a lot better in PISA stats if they only entered best two or three business hubs.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Vanquish us?

Let me translate your post for you:

"OK! So there's no evidence that I got anything right about universities, but by linking to this completely different thing about kids earlier in their education I can hopefully move the debate on."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, generally we are second in the world behind the Americans and a long way ahead of the rest of Europe. Asian universities are even further behind, though keen to catch up.

That said, I had dinner with the bloke who currently runs the most successful university IP licensing operation in Europe: the University of Leuwen's. They generated €114 million in royalties last year. Miles ahead of Imperial, Cambridge etc, and in the top 10 globally. They do a lot of work with Gilead.

• Options
    Charles said:

Rightly or wrongly Thatcher was savaged from the back benches first by a Chancellor who resigned and than by a foreign secretary who resigned. Its easy to say it was all unfair but her actions led to it. The ex-chancellor, Lawson, is campaigning to leave the EU so he cannot be easily labelled a 'eurofanatic moron'.
    Beyond that the poll tax was survived - by Major, who brought in the council tax instead and won the next election. But the logic only worked because Thatcher was removed. Equally, rebelling against a leader and splitting the party (any party) comes with its price as well.

... the other supplementary cause of Thatcher's downfall was the old guard... who had never acceptd the idea that a woman, and even more so one from a non privileged background, Lincolnshire could ever lead the Tory party.

Fixed it for ya ;)
    So they replaced her with the son of music hall performer who manufactured garden gnomes.
    She in turn replaced the son of a carpenter and a maid.
  • Options

Charles said:

You've got to admire their efficiency!

(He quite liked her from about 1981 - 1987, but thought she went off the rails soon after the election)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86
    I walk through Waterloo everyday and am always as careful as possible - there's nothing worse than someone in a rush bashing into you, but accidents do happen at busy times when people are rushing for their train.

There's been quite a focus on sexual assaults taking place on London transport. Take a look at this advert:

http://tinyurl.com/kt78jn4

Now

I love thtaxi drivers picking up a young asian girl to gang rape.
    I i they go.
    /
    T.
    Indeed. So should being an academic. The situation on US campuses is getting out of hand.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

China has a different form of political correctness. How far would you get at a Chinese university if you criticised its government?
    This is an important point.

The phrase political correctness has been co-opted amongst its proponents in the UK as meaning nothing more than being suitably sensitive to difference, being suitably deferential to those minority groups who were historically disadvantaged and, where necessary, taking corrective action in their favour even if it inconveniences or disadvantages the current majority.

What it actually means is saying or doing what is expected within the dominant political culture, on pain of social, economic or legal punishment, so it actually reflects an innate rejection of independent thinking.

For instance, it would not have been politically correct to defend the Jews in Nazi Germany.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The fact is that IQs for countries change dramatically over time. If you give a 14 year old Brit a test designed for a 14 year old from 1960, then the average would be 106-108. We've "added" six to eight IQ points in 50 years. The numbers for Ireland are even more startling, their average IQ has increased more than 20 points since 1900.

This tells me that it's probably a bit more complicated than: yellow skin smart, white skin OK, black skin dumb.

Well, we didn't need a scientific study to confirm that... ;)

Yes, of course it is more complicated than that, but I don't think the study mentioned in the wiki article was conducted over a period of decades, I think they were relatively contemporaneous. I suspect that research isn't conducted into this in fear of the reaction to whatever may be found out.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

A nation trying to develop a consumer economy without the rule of law? More likely to implode than be a proper threat.
    China isn't doing too badly. More likely doesn't mean they will.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

I hereby promise to have this pb comment preserved in amber, for the piquant amusement of our children, when they are not bussing tables for notably wealthy Chinese tourists.
    Where is malc when you need him....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Its well known that individuals can improve IQ test results a lot by pure practice. Best performers are usually young adults just out of school, as they have been practicing similar style questions for years in education. Why should we be surprised that national populations get better IQ results as education systems improve??
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

China have a long way to go to overtake the west on research. They are pumping out lots of people / publications, but the quality is generally not very good and a lot of publications are tweaking current work, rather than ground breaking stuff.

If you have any interaction with those educated under the Chinese system will tell you they get rammed into them foundation knowledge, but the whole culture is based round learn what you have been told, don't dare challenge and values copy as highly as original work.

There is some incredible applied physics work that goes on in China. But by and large, I think you're right.

It's also no coincidence that the best Chinese students want to go the US for their doctoral work.
    I think synthetic biology is a field where the Chinese will feature too. currently they are worried how far behind they are falling, but they also have a lot of good people in the field - including in US and UK universities. BGI in Shenzhen, is a huge outfit - with hundreds of PhDs working on a mixture of genomics and synbio. They have the absolute best capacity at genome reading, and have the second biggest data storage in the world, after the NSA.

China is going to be massively strong in all life sciences. They don't present the same political problems as IT/telecoms.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm On GOP I've not cashed out my Rubio GOP position, nor have I laid off my Rubio POTUS.

The discrepancy is still there between his GOP and POTUS odds, because if he's going to win GOP then I assume he'd need some sort of comeback narrative which would also improve his POTUS assuming GOP nom odds.

In fact shorn of the whole media narrative I think the current bet is to lay him at ~ 2.07.

Kasich, Christie, Cruz, Trump, Carson, Fiorina all arguably value. Bush looks short at ~ 14.5, but I'm exposed to him enough already.

It simply isn't possible to lay enough Bush.
  • Options

Its well known that individuals can improve IQ test results a lot by pure practice. Best performers are usually young adults just out of school, as they have been practicing similar style questions for years in education. Why should we be surprised that national populations get better IQ results as education systems improve??

I agree 100%.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

So what if they implode? What was the US civil war? The whole country ripped in two, but historically it registers as barely a blip on their path to power. China can go through implosions, cataclysms, disasters, the numbers are still on their side. We would do a lot better preparing for the Chinese era rather than burying our heads in the sand in Ambrose Evans-Pritchard fashion.
  • Options

The phrase political correctness has been co-opted amongst its proponents in the UK as meaning nothing more than being suitably sensitive to difference, being suitably deferential to those minority groups who were historically disadvantaged and, where necessary, taking corrective action in their favour even if it inconveniences or disadvantages the current majority.

What it actually means is saying or doing what is expected within the dominant political culture, on pain of social, economic or legal punishment, so it actually reflects an innate rejection of independent thinking.

For instance, it would not have been politically correct to defend the Jews in Nazi Germany.

A truly excellent post. +1 for post of the week.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That comment might be misinterpreted.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

rcs1000 said:

The best Chinese students are then also not exactly keen to hurry home either once they have experienced a more free system in which they are allowed to conduct their research.

I am not saying China won't change, the change in the past 20 years is huge, but altering a mindset where teacher is always right, learn by rote even at university level and where imitation / copying is held in high esteem is a big cultural shift. Especially, as all of these criticisms are actually very positive if you are in the business of actually making stuff.
    Hurry home, perhaps not. But go home at some point many of them do. The money available in some disciplines for research in China is jaw dropping. I have been on two university campuses (in Shenzhen and Shanghai) and done a fair bit of work with the Chinese Academies of Sciences - I have been impressed. And many of the top guys in these outfits are returnees from top Western universities. Take that with the fact that there is something of an international network of Chinese scientists still in Western universities in collaborative research with Chinese institutions, and I think you'll find that, in some fields, Chinese research is pretty impressive. Maybe not the paradigm-breaking innovation that the West loves so much, but a lot of the filling-in research that powers productization of technology.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

(He quite liked her from about 1981 - 1987, but thought she went off the rails soon after the election)
    She should have stood down after her 3rd victory tbh.

I struggle to think of any really big wins she had from 1988-1990. Apart from the Fall of the Wall.
  • Options

Charles said:

Fixed it for ya ;)
    So they replaced her with the son of music hall performer who manufactured garden gnomes.
    She in turn replaced the son of a carpenter and a maid.
    I was teasing @RichardTyndall

Prat.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

C
    W

Like many things, it was not a single factor, but the confluence of many.
    As one who was around at he time, that's about right. Apart from the the LD's being "previously dead". They were coming back.
    Sure: (snip)
    I wonder how many in that conference audience from 1990 are (a) still alive and (b) still members of the party?

It seems a sea of grey hair to me.
    My uncle and aunt tick both categories, so that makes 2.
    Ah, thanks. I expect they're part of a happy few!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MTimT said:

Maybe not the paradigm-breaking innovation that the West loves so much, but a lot of the filling-in research that powers productization of technology.

That I don't doubt at all. In my personal experience, all the papers that I have read have overwhelmingly been of that nature, rather than "this is totally radically different and new".

It is also in China's interest to be strong in that way. You have educated workforce, they understand what is going on and can implement it / make improvements.

Constantly shooting for the moon often results in long periods of failures / nothingness.

• Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86
    I walk through Waterloo everyday and am always as careful as possible - there's nothing worse than someone in a rush bashing into you, but accidents do happen at busy times when people are rushing for their train.

There's been quite a focus on sexual assaults taking place on London transport. Take a look at this advert:

Now

I i they go.
    /
    T.
    Indeed. So should being an academic. The situation on US campuses is getting out of hand.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

China has a different form of political correctness. How far would you get at a Chinese university if you criticised its government?

In 1940's America, it would not have been politically correct to produce a film portraying a criminal as sympathetic, showing an inter-racial relationship, depicting black violence against White people, or any reference to homosexuality.

Political correctness should be better termed groupthink.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

She should have stood down after her 3rd victory tbh.

I struggle to think of any really big wins she had from 1988-1990. Apart from the Fall of the Wall.
    I think being at the top of a political party for a long period of time, especially in the modern age, is incredibly sapping.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No, I offered FURTHER evidence, on top of the IQ data and university stuff.

Look, I'm not here to make your life easier - or worse. Fuck it. This isn't a partisan thing! I'm just pointing out painful facts that we all must face, yet few acknowledge (and I speak as the father of two 9 year old daughters going thru the western educational system - I wish what I am saying wasn't true).

The fact is, the West's absolute advantage over the rest of the world has gone. For good. Right now we still have a marginal advantage, but it is rapidly diminishing over time, and we are wilfully destroying it in things like education, where our USP - free liberal debate - (something China denies, inter alia) - is being demolished. We are deliberately handicapping ourselves. Ruining what the world wants.

On top of that, we are - esp in America - actively excluding THEIR students, racially.... because they are too good. Too hard working. Too bright. How long will they tolerate that before developing Oxfords and Harvards of their own?

You are all too clever for me to go any further. Surely. The argument ends.

Yes, China is rising.

Just as the US rose, just as Japan rose, and just as India will (eventually) rise.

Their becoming wealthier doesn't diminish us.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86

Now

I i they go.
    /
    T.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

In 1940's America, it would not have been politically correct to produce a film portraying a criminal as sympathetic, showing an inter-racial relationship, depicting black violence against White people, or any reference to homosexuality.

Political correctness should be better termed groupthink.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016

Pulpstar said:

If it becomes a 4 man race after ST - Rubio, Trump, Cruz, Bush - and then Rubio gets torn apart - he has a chance.

Also, trump could always go rogue and withdraw if/when he realises the maths don't quite add up for him and there might not be any other sane non-cruz candidate left in the race to fall back on.

Its a small chance, but it is there.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86

Now

I i they go.
    /
    T.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

Of course. That's why it's called political correctness. The former word negates the latter. See also social justice.
  • Options
    And after all the highbrow arguments of the state of China's higher education / research sector, time to spend 4hrs watching a load of steroid / HGH pumped Americans smash into one another all in the name of advancing a egg shaped bit of pig skin 10 yards in 4 attempts...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Look, I'm not here to make your life easier - or worse. Fuck it. This isn't a partisan thing! I'm just pointing out painful facts that we all must face, yet few acknowledge (and I speak as the father of two 9 year old daughters going thru the western educational system - I wish what I am saying wasn't true).

The fact is, the West's absolute advantage over the rest of the world has gone. For good. Right now we still have a marginal advantage, but it is rapidly diminishing over time, and we are wilfully destroying it in things like education, where our USP - free liberal debate - (something China denies, inter alia) - is being demolished. We are deliberately handicapping ourselves. Ruining what the world wants.

On top of that, we are - esp in America - actively excluding THEIR students, racially.... because they are too good. Too hard working. Too bright. How long will they tolerate that before developing Oxfords and Harvards of their own?

Yes, China is rising.

Just as the US rose, just as Japan rose, and just as India will (eventually) rise.

Quite.

Especially given the weaknesses demonstrated by Japan's 'rise'.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86

Now

I i they go.
    /
    T.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

As far as I can see the phrase political correctness has been largely abandoned by its proponents nowadays and is mostly used by people looking for a pejorative way of saying "not racist" - or sometimes "not sexist" or "not bigoted".
  • Options
    It's amazing how much the PISA results swing around. In 2000, the top four were:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

None of those countries were in the top four in 2013. What went wrong with Finnish, Korean, Japanese or Canadian education?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

A truly excellent post. +1 for post of the week.
    Thanks.
  • Options

And after all the highbrow arguments of the state of China's higher education / research sector, time to spend 4hrs watching a load of steroid / HGH pumped Americans smash into one another all in the name of advancing a egg shaped bit of pig skin 10 yards in 4 attempts...

A perfect time to go an buy some groceries :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

Isn't this somewhat naive? America's rise literally diminished Britain's wealth - the fact that it mostly happened in a voluntary fashion over the course of the two world wars is beside the point. China making everything and us buying it is more or less literally a transfer of wealth from us to them, meaning we're increasingly debt-ridden, and we have to hope they give us a bit of our money back by coming to see London and buying some Landrovers.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

If it becomes a 4 man race after ST - Rubio, Trump, Cruz, Bush - and then Rubio gets torn apart - he has a chance.

Also, trump could always go rogue and withdraw if/when he realises the maths don't quite add up for him and there might not be any other sane non-cruz candidate left in the race to fall back on.

@Casino_royale is worried what his misses would say if he got caught with his pants down laying too much Bush though.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Cannot remember the link, but tests have shown that if students (in America) are asked to think about being black for a while before taking a test, they will get worse results.

It's subconscious, and pernicious. If you think about being successful it makes you so, and vice versa. But the effect is subtle so you don't realise it's happening.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's amazing how much the PISA results swing around. In 2000, the top four were:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

None of those countries were in the top four in 2013. What went wrong with Finnish, Korean, Japanese or Canadian education?

They didn't listen to SeanT's advice?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

What is the top 4 now ?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

It's buzzword bingo

Beat?

You can teach TSE a few things about subtle tv/movie references for any future threads....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

Isn't this somewhat naive? America's rise literally diminished Britain's wealth - the fact that it mostly happened in a voluntary fashion over the course of the two world wars is beside the point. China making everything and us buying it is more or less literally a transfer of wealth from us to them, meaning we're increasingly debt-ridden, and we have to hope they give us a bit of our money back by coming to see London and buying some Landrovers.
    Because we never sell on what we buy from China for more, right?

And what about services?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

That's true for the UK, in that we have a persistent current account deficit. But plenty of Western countries run trade surpluses.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Right on cue a really bad Rubio N.H. poll:

Monmouth, N.H., conducted before the debate, changes since January.

Trump 30 -2
    Kasich 14 0
    Rubio 13 +1
    Bush 13 +9
    Cruz 12 -2
    Christie 6 -2
    Fiorina 5 0
    Carson 4 +1

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/2114e68d-b5a1-46c5-a375-2d112a71d050.pdf

With the rest of the tracking polls I say that before the debate the situation in N.H. was returning to the normal pre-Iowa one, aka anyone could end up from 2nd to 5th.

Bush is back?
    God, I'm glad I haven't been laying Bush...

Would be hilarious if it did end up as Bush vs Clinton
    Trump would in a four horse race.

I'm only, er, -765 on Bush...
    I have a very large and complex spreadsheet, with a series of sheets showing implied odds of various candidates in head-to-head match-ups.

Until yesterday, my big bet was Rubio for POTUS, but not for nominee. I.e., I reckoned the 1.8-1 I was being given if he was the candidate was far too skinny. I've now sold myself down to flat on POTUS following last night's performance, but am still short Rubio for the nomination. I expect to be able to exit that position with a big profit on Wednesday morning.

I have nothing on Bush, Kasich, etc, except as residuals of various lays. I'm in the +150 to -50 range for all of them.
    Rubio only needs 2nd on Tuesday to keep the POTUS plan alive.
    Hmmm:

Trump 36
    Rubio 15
    Cruz 14

Is not that great a result for Cruz Rubio. It makes Nevada an absolute must win state for him, given the paucity of possible wind on Super Tuesday.
    The result was a great night for Trump. If Kasich/Christie/Bush can somehow get a debate bounce then he is an even better favourite due to the bigger field.
    I had greened out, then I went back in by laying Rubio for the profit and then I went in again and backed Trump pre-debate.

My question is now whether I green back out or roll the dice on the Primary.

As this is all for pennies I'm gonna let it ride.
  • Options

Sorry by candidates, I meant, the group of people attached to presidential candidates. I guess if it's just before the convention the presidential candidate wouldn't necessarily be known - but I must admit I didn't realise it was generally left that late

The trick is apparently to look out for unusual private jet movements. If Trump's plane is seen flying to New Mexico then put your money on Susana Martinez.

For the record I am far from a Maggie cultist at all. She was responsible for a lot of the idiocy that got us into this EU mess in the first place. Thankfully in later life she saw how wrong she had been. It is a shame more haven't done the same.

Have you ever been wrong about anything?

I am often wrong. But not when dealing with people like you. You are not bright enough to be a challenge.
    Dealing with lesser beings confers infallibility? A curious proposition.
    Nope. Just the fact that it is easy to be right when your opponents are so often wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

What is the top 4 now ?
    1. Shanghai
    2. Singapore
    3. ChinaHong Kong
    4. Taiwan

Interestingly, there's a very strong correlation between family size and PISA score. Smaller families = better educational performance.

But demographic problems down the road.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

The first two PISAs are not directly comparable to the ones that have followed as the number of participants was much lower.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

Panic?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

And what about services?

Currently being pinched by India.

I feel like you think I'm 'doing down Britain' - I'm really not. I would consider myself in the most patriotic 5% of PBers - but I don't think you can improve a situation without being aware of the realities of it.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

That comment might be misinterpreted.
    The alternative is equally valid.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Oh no, there is no Kevin Cadle for Superbowl on Sky, it is the idiot Dara Kennedy hosting and she is f##ked up twice already.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

What is the top 4 now ?
    1. Shanghai
    2. Singapore
    3. China
    4. Taiwan

Interestingly, there's a very strong correlation between family size and PISA score. Smaller families = better educational performance.

But demographic problems down the road.
    Finland looks like the outlier to me.

Prince Philip could tell you the correlation :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

1. Finland
    2. Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Canada

Panic?

Sometimes it helps.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

That's true for the UK, in that we have a persistent current account deficit. But plenty of Western countries run trade surpluses.
    Yes - and we should try to follow their example. We'll have to get a lot cleverer though.

But my point is that a huge growth in wealth somewhere must mean a reduction in it elsewhere.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

Pretty sure UK was richer in 1950 than it was in 1910.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

And what about services?

I feel like you think I'm 'doing down Britain' - I'm really not. I would consider myself in the most patriotic 5% of PBers - but I don't think you can improve a situation without being aware of the realities of it.

Nah - it's not that. I just get frustrated that people don't realise how adaptable we've always been as:

- a nation
    - an economy
    - a people

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

@Casino_royale is worried what his misses would say if he got caught with his pants down laying too much Bush though.
    She is already unhappy with my exposure.
  • Options
    William_H said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86

Now

I i they go.
    /
    T.

Bu.
    It's
    C.

As far as I can see the phrase political correctness has been largely abandoned by its proponents nowadays and is mostly used by people looking for a pejorative way of saying "not racist" - or sometimes "not sexist" or "not bigoted".
    It involves more than being polite. It involves shutting down argument and overlooking unwelcome facts because you don't like the implications, or you don't like the people who are making the arguments (eg turning a blind eye to child rape in Rotherham because initially it was the BNP who complained).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

Massively. Japan's rise in the 70s and 80s reduced our relative wealth. But it didn't make us poorer.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fenster said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

notme said:

Moses_ said:

@tig86

Now

g ridiculous. Some one in the plod needs to either shit or get off the pot.
    The number of black women raped by white men is so statistically low, that when the US did produce figures it came out as zero through rounding.
    The stats on white murders of blacks versus the opposite are also fairly startling in their difference.

And this: if you take out crime by blacks, if I recall correctly, then America's homicide rate is about the same as a European country.

But it should also be noted that blacks are grievously over-represented in the VICTIMS of violent crime, as well. And they suffer from American policing.

There are various explanations. One thing that, as far as I know, is entirely unexplained, is why Latin America is so violent. The vast majority of the world's most violent cities and countries are in central and south America. Why? They vary wildly in culture, only Iberian colonialism unites them. And this does seem to be the uniting motif: cf The Philippines - another ex-Spanish colony - they are way more dangerous than other south east Asian states.

it is very odd. Spain is pretty peaceable as a country. Portugal even more so. Why are their colonies so troubled?
    Cocaine?

Drugs, guns and massive social inequalities.
    Someone on Twitter just suggested this explanation: that Iberian colonisers left religious systems, but neglected legal codes. This makes a lot of sense.

Being much less aggressively religious, the Brits, and to a lesser extent the French, were all about imposing The Law (Common or Napoleonic). Hence the greater orderliness in their colonies (with some glaring exceptions, naturally)
    The Americas were uniquely hard hit by disease in the colonial era (estimates of up to 95% fatalities as a consequence of encountering Old World diseases are canvassed). The social dislocation that caused may have a part to play in this.
    I take the point about the indigenous populations being affected by diseases. I wonder why the colonists were not affected in the same way in reverse?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

And what about services?

Nah - it's not that. I just get frustrated that people don't realise how adaptable we've always been as:

- a nation
    - an economy
    - a people

I agree. I place the blame for our current predicament solely on a useless/malevolent political class. Perhaps we are due another evolution that gets us out of it - I'd love to think so, but a pessimist is never disappointed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

Massively. Japan's rise in the 70s and 80s reduced our relative wealth. But it didn't make us poorer.
    By what measure were we richer in the 1950s?
  • Options

I take the point about the indigenous populations being affected by diseases. I wonder why the colonists were not affected in the same way in reverse?

We got syphilis from the Indians, IIRC.
  • Options
    Seems to have been an awful lot of civility on PB this weekend. Maybe things are indeed evolving for the better.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    rcs1000 said:

Although it's not directly out of the uni system, I think the Wellcome Trust requires acknowledgement in the above list. As well as their work in funding the Human Genome Mapping Project to beat Ventner's terrible scheme, they also funded some of the Diamond Light Source and work with unis.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, China is rising.

By what measure were we richer in the 1950s?
    Errr: GDP?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    First Brexit means animals and plants get it. Now Cameron spins that refugees from Calais will get in.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/696458079030927361

Telegraph misrepresenting PM, or Cast Iron Dave scrapping the barrel.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

First Brexit means animals and plants get it. Now Cameron spins that refugees from Calais will get in.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/696458079030927361

Telegraph misrepresenting PM, or Cast Iron Dave scrapping the barrel.

the other headlines are just as bizarre
This discussion has been closed.