Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Assessing Marco Rubio: A surge or just a bubble

124»

Comments

• Options
    Foxes!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I think the blame has to be at those who thought that promoting democracy in the middle east was a good idea.
    And of course the impulse of governments to export their domestic problems when they are down in the polls.

It's not a coincidence that all around europe there is a war zone that was fueled by unpopular european governments who tried to boost their popularity in the polls by appearing macho in foreign and military affairs.

No. The blame is with Assad.

It's a question of when people call for democracy, do we support them or do we support the murdering strongmen such as Assad?

It's one thing to tell people in Scotland (and even the UK with the EU referendum) that we can choose our own path, but it's quite another to tell others in other countries that they are too wee and too pathetic to look after themselves, and they should just stand back and be jailed without trial, abused, and/or murdered.

Democracy's good. As an example, hopefully Myanmar will start a recovery now it looks as though democracy of a sort has started.

You are right in one thing: the ME has been the playground of rival outside groups for centuries. Perhaps its time to actually let the people rule themselves and end that cycle. Although that might require some of the countries to look very different. if not, the cycle of oppression and death will just continue.
    You can't impose democracy in a medieval society.
    Look at post colonial africa, they all started as western democracies, within 5 years they all became dictatorships, it took 40-50 years for a proper civil society to be built for democracy to be somewhat viable in africa.

You forget that societies in the west were already advanced when democracy came in the 19th and 20th centuries.

There are countless examples in which democracy failed to produce a prosperous and stable state, all of them in backwards societies, you can't expect much civil responsibility from people who's fathers where goatfarmers who lived in caves or huts under the candlelight.
    Corruption and incompetence will flourish as a first step towards dictatorial rule.
    Ain't it better to start that 50 years process than to keep it medieval?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the moon, has died in Florida, aged 85

Within 20 years there will be nobody left alive who has walked on the moon.

If you had predicted that in the 1970s no one would have believed you.
    Only 7 left of the original 12. It really is ridiculous we have not gone back in more than 43 years
    Why go back to the moon? It's boring....
    Its a staging post for going further out. Being able to start stellar exploration from the moon is a fraction of the energy cost of launching from Earth.
    Surely you have to get things from here to the Moon - unless we can turn the moon into a facility that can manufacture things. But that seems a long way off.
    Then biggest cost by far is lifting fuel out of the Earth's gravity well. The water resources on the moon would make that unnecessary.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Second for Leicester....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,070
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I think the blame has to be at those who thought that promoting democracy in the middle east was a good idea.
    And of course the impulse of governments to export their domestic problems when they are down in the polls.

It's not a coincidence that all around europe there is a war zone that was fueled by unpopular european governments who tried to boost their popularity in the polls by appearing macho in foreign and military affairs.

It's a question of when people call for democracy, do we support them or do we support the murdering strongmen such as Assad?

It's one thing to tell people in Scotland (and even the UK with the EU referendum) that we can choose our own path, but it's quite another to tell others in other countries that they are too wee and too pathetic to look after themselves, and they should just stand back and be jailed without trial, abused, and/or murdered.

Democracy's good. As an example, hopefully Myanmar will start a recovery now it looks as though democracy of a sort has started.

You are right in one thing: the ME has been the playground of rival outside groups for centuries. Perhaps its time to actually let the people rule themselves and end that cycle. Although that might require some of the countries to look very different. if not, the cycle of oppression and death will just continue.
    Look at post colonial africa, they all started as western democracies, within 5 years they all became dictatorships, it took 40-50 years for a proper civil society to be built for democracy to be somewhat viable in africa.

You forget that societies in the west were already advanced when democracy came in the 19th and 20th centuries.

There are countless examples in which democracy failed to produce a prosperous and stable state, all of them in backwards societies, you can't expect much civil responsibility from people who's fathers where goatfarmers who lived in caves or huts under the candlelight.
    You think Syria and Iraq were 'medieval' societies before the conflicts came along? Wow. Yes, there are large areas of poverty and tribalism. There are also rich and vibrant cities and towns: in fact, many of the rich and vibrant cities existed long before ours.

I'd say much bigger problems are fiscal corruption and religious/tribal rivalries. If we can get leaders who actually wanted to look after their whole people rather than their laackeys it'd be a good start. And that problem isn't restricted to the ME (cough Russia, Turkey, the Stans etc, etc).
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited February 2016
    If Leicester City don't win team of the year at SPOTY, even if they don't win the title and with it being an Olympic and Euro year, then there really is no justice.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,070

LondonBob said:

People interested in the Syrian war may find this site which I stumbled across interesting - it has a lot of material flooding in:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Syrian+Civil+War

Because of the sheer volume of Iranian stuff it gives the impression of bias, but it also includes material which is anti-Assad and pro-Western, so I'm not sure if it's just that they include everything they get and the Iranians send them more. Certainly Assad's people are sounding cheerful, e.g. abolishing security checkpoints in Latakia since the enemy is now so far off that they aren't needed any more. Aleppo seems to be gradually falling, with a stream of messages reminiscent of the Stalingrad struggle which is seems to resemble - this battle for the cheese factory, that advance into a disputed farm. There was a menacing "If the Sauds intervene that would mean war" report from Russia, though the details seemed to be more legalistic than directly threatening.

A lot of the Iranian stuff would be more accurate than the stuff put out in our own media.

Have read that two brigades from 101st Airborne are going to Iraq, little progress being made there in contrast to Syria. Supposedly the Iranians are also sending more to Syria, people have had enough of the war and they want to end it in three months not six.

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/

This is a very good website run by the former head of ME analysis at the DIA in the US. A lot of the loons on here really wouldn't like it.
    Someone so important (in your eyes at least) seems to have rather few followers: less than you could count on the hands of a woman tortured by Assad's thugs.
    Naught but Turkish propaganda :)
    I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the reply I have him a month or so ago. :(

Although talking of Turkey, there's an interesting special report in this week's Economist. I've only skimmed it so far, but it makes some good and some arguable points.

On the other hand, those of a sensitive Europhobic nature might find it's coverage of Cameron's EU deal upsetting ... ;)
    The Economist is rabidly pro-EU. Why would one expect them to write anything balanced or logical about the subject?
    I know their bias, and I expect as much balance about the EU from them as we get from you. ;)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Moses_ said:

Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the moon, has died in Florida, aged 85

Only 7 left of the original 12. It really is ridiculous we have not gone back in more than 43 years
    Its a staging post for going further out. Being able to start stellar exploration from the moon is a fraction of the energy cost of launching from Earth.
    Point being, you need a more exciting programme to go SOMEWHRE from the Moon. We can't even find the funds to go to Mars....
    What I find staggering/saddening it that, never mind the Moon, humans haven't been beyond low Earth orbit since 1972. All those pictures of the Earth from a distance are from Apollo (and a few from interplanetary probes doing fly-bys, I think).
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Surely you have to get things from here to the Moon - unless we can turn the moon into a facility that can manufacture things. But that seems a long way off.
    Then biggest cost by far is lifting fuel out of the Earth's gravity well. The water resources on the moon would make that unnecessary.
    I remember looking at fuel production plans for the moon - but it all seemed rather far off being economical. I guess it depends what timescales we're talking about.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Corruption and incompetence will flourish as a first step towards dictatorial rule.
    Ain't it better to start that 50 years process than to keep it medieval?
    It needs a good education system and relative prosperity for at least 2 generations for people to start behaving more responsibly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

Assad was given the job by his father..

Yes, before that was a London GP/consultant and is said not to have wanted to switch to politics: the problem was the sudden death of his older brother. I wonder how patients found him in terms of competence and compassion?

On laptops, I've been happy with my HP ultrabook - was about £650 including MS Office, and started with a wonderful 8 hour battery life (and yes has back lit keyboard). Light and slim, it's perfect for long-distance travel. Had it about 3 years. The battery declined with time, and I use a spare battery for long flights. But I still use it for most work. It isn't a good gaming machine but not really meant for that.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2016
    first a tory majority, then corbyn, now leicester.

long-shots coming in from another parallel universe..
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

Bloody Foreigners, coming over here, radicalising British people.

The far-right movement, bolstered by foreign-born fascists living in the UK, is becoming increasingly violent as it seeks to orchestrate attacks against British Muslims, according to new analysis of the network of militant rightwing groups.

Buoyed by the normalisation of Islamophobic rhetoric by elements of the mainstream media, the increasingly radicalised ideology adopted by the UK’s far-right movement will lead to greater confrontation, says the anti-racist group Hope Not Hate.

The warnings come ahead of a planned demonstration by Polish neo-nazis and football hooligans in Manchester later this month in support of a “British white country”, which they have called: “Fuck Islam & Isis”. Intelligence indicates that a violent British far-right outfit, the North West Infidels (NWI), are planning to join them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/06/foreign-born-fascists-radicalise-uk-far-right-movement

Hope Not Hate desperately looking for an upswing in far-right "fascism" to justify their own existence.
    I think the UK is far too tolerant to ever see a revival of the far-right. These groups do not seem to ever attract a great deal of support. Usually it is just a handful of deadbeats.
    But you need someone willing to push back. No push back means they get what they want all the time and resentment grows. It was the EDL numpties who kept on making the preposterous claims that their children were getting gang raped by muslim taxi drivers and the authorities were turning a blind eye....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    Second N.H tracking poll today.

ARG

Trump 34 -2
    Kasich 17 +3
    Rubio 16 +1
    Cruz 9 -3
    Bush 8 0
    Christie 5 -1
    Fiorina 2 0
    Carson 2 0

The CNN tracking poll will come later tonight.
    Now that's relatively bad news for Rubio, his whole appeal is that he's the most likely man to beat Trump in N.H. and here he's third.
  • Options
    Nous sommes tous des partisans Leicester maintenant
  • Options
    Feck me, my transformation from fluent French speaker to Officer Crabtree is now complete.
  • Options
    Pinch me
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    3 nil

Did anyone take my tip this morning?

I said 5/1 was good value.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Rather neat

African language by country

afrographique: A linguistic infographic detailing the most... https://t.co/v8A7DrMlf3 https://t.co/tBNRprbXxt
  • Options
    Leicester 3 Man City 0
    Now who thought it was a great idea to tell the team a new manager was coming in the summer?
  • Options
    huth scores big goals doesnt he
  • Options
    Liverpool scored 3 goals at City in the first 30 mins.

Leicester < Liverpool
  • Options

Liverpool scored 3 goals at City in the first 30 mins.

Leicester < Liverpool

Remind me of the midweek score :-)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Anyone have any Six Nations tips?

I'm still using my General Election PB/SPIN prize winnings for rugger punts. So far I've sold 1st try and bought Italy points (at 12 - which seems pretty generous to me......)
  • Options
    so erm, spurs losing just 1-0 at home to leicester was good form then for us....
  • Options
    Labour in a nutshell

David Hughes PA
    Jeremy Corbyn's message at #lablocal16: "A Lab council is best protection ... against the onslaught of Tory cuts." https://t.co/cTzYvxXX7W
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anyone have any Six Nations tips?

I'm still using my General Election PB/SPIN prize winnings for rugger punts. So far I've sold 1st try and bought Italy points (at 12 - which seems pretty generous to me......)

I think France will be the least predictable this time around.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Assad was given the job by his father..

Yes, before that was a London GP/consultant and is said not to have wanted to switch to politics: the problem was the sudden death of his older brother. I wonder how patients found him in terms of competence and compassion?

On laptops, I've been happy with my HP ultrabook - was about £650 including MS Office, and started with a wonderful 8 hour battery life (and yes has back lit keyboard). Light and slim, it's perfect for long-distance travel. Had it about 3 years. The battery declined with time, and I use a spare battery for long flights. But I still use it for most work. It isn't a good gaming machine but not really meant for that.
    It's an odd one... On the surface he would seem to be someone you can do business with.
  • Options
    Well quite.
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

Bloody Foreigners, coming over here, radicalising British people.

The far-right movement, bolstered by foreign-born fascists living in the UK, is becoming increasingly violent as it seeks to orchestrate attacks against British Muslims, according to new analysis of the network of militant rightwing groups.

Buoyed by the normalisation of Islamophobic rhetoric by elements of the mainstream media, the increasingly radicalised ideology adopted by the UK’s far-right movement will lead to greater confrontation, says the anti-racist group Hope Not Hate.

The warnings come ahead of a planned demonstration by Polish neo-nazis and football hooligans in Manchester later this month in support of a “British white country”, which they have called: “Fuck Islam & Isis”. Intelligence indicates that a violent British far-right outfit, the North West Infidels (NWI), are planning to join them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/06/foreign-born-fascists-radicalise-uk-far-right-movement

Hope Not Hate desperately looking for an upswing in far-right "fascism" to justify their own existence.
    I think the UK is far too tolerant to ever see a revival of the far-right. These groups do not seem to ever attract a great deal of support. Usually it is just a handful of deadbeats.
    But you need someone willing to push back. No push back means they get what they want all the time and resentment grows. It was the EDL numpties who kept on making the preposterous claims that their children were getting gang raped by muslim taxi drivers and the authorities were turning a blind eye....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2016
    Post of the year? I'm assuming it doesn't display blank to everyone else...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Nothing else to be said about Leicester.

Speechless.
  • Options
    Leicester fans were singing "we are staying up!" after the 3rd goal went in...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    notme said:

It's an odd one... On the surface he would seem to be someone you can do business with.

I chatted to an animal charity worker who knew the Assads a bit - she was representing her charity in Syria and stayed there until the war hotted up to the point that the charity could no longer operate. Her impression FWIW was that Assad was as you say someone you could do businss with and certainly no maniac, his wife was an apolitical woman who liked shopping and was not keen on the power stuff, but he had a close relation (brother in law? can't remember) who was in her opinion a butcher who would murder anyone remotely out of line. It wasn't at all clear to her who in the family and asssociates was really the dominant figure.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @theJeremyVine: Lots of people noticing this disparity today. #LCFCMCFC https://t.co/sKeLPTYjFt
  • Options
    One of General Boles finest. I barked with laughter.

Dr Mandelson creates a monster to end all hopes of #Brexit (h/t @mjhsinclair) https://t.co/qoclRBx8yQ
  • Options
    I've gone off football a lot over the last few years, from being a keen player and supporter, even travelling to watch England, and always looking forward to a night in the pub watching a game, to being at the point where I barely recognise any players now.........but bloody hell, LEICESTER CITY!
  • Options

Post of the year? I'm assuming it doesn't display blank to everyone else...
    They deleted the tweet, so is why it appears as a blank
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Dr Mandelson creates a monster to end all hopes of #Brexit (h/t @mjhsinclair) https://t.co/qoclRBx8yQ

What proportion of the population know who Aaron Banks is?
  • Options
    The ‘ISIS terrorist claiming to be a Syrian refugee’: Shocking image shows fanatic posing with cache of weapons and ammunition before being arrested at German shelter for asylum seekers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3434246/The-alleged-ISIS-terrorist-claiming-Syrian-refugee-Shocking-image-shows-fanatic-posing-cache-weapons-ammunition-arrested-German-shelter-asylum-seekers.html
  • Options
    Terrifying moment assault rifle-wielding assassins dressed as policeman burst into Dublin hotel before gunning down rival gangster at boxing weigh-in

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3433763/Gunmen-attack-boxing-fans-Dublin-hotel-killing-1.html

Don't mean to be funny, but they look nothing like any policemen I have ever seen...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

What proportion of the population know who Aaron Banks is?
    What proportion of the population follow General Boles on twitter?
  • Options

I've gone off football a lot over the last few years, from being a keen player and supporter, even travelling to watch England, and always looking forward to a night in the pub watching a game, to being at the point where I barely recognise any players now.........but bloody hell, LEICESTER CITY!

Valentine's Day is going to be great for Leicester fans.

You get to take your girlfriend up the Arsenal.

#SoRomantic
  • Options
    Lolz re Facebook

Still one of my favourite web articles of all time, from September 2006 https://t.co/oVKPE9HTD3 https://t.co/thUvpNDDeO
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

Re the previous comments on Windows 10, I thought of this (although it is a bit old now).
    https://xkcd.com/528/

Windows 10 seems to be working alright on my laptop (this is being typed, mistyped, on a tablet). It's a HP Pavilion bought in PC World at about £150 off. Reasonable value. Came with W8 and I left it at that, but it looked to have installed 10 behind my back. Its main annoyance is hitting prt scr by accident and sendind screen shots to some cloud gizmo. But very good battery life. Pity you have to 'rent' MS Office.

I tried a chrome book , great for browsing but I did not like the cloud word processing software. Then the keys started sticking, seems to be so common that PC World gave me a voucher back to buy something else, ie the Pavilion. Starts quickly and has 8 hrs battery. Not too heavy.
    End of advert.

PS I hate printers and the cost of ink.

Windowd 10 is pretty solid and much faster than previous versions.

You also off the PrntScr to cloud option.
    I just bought a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 10, got it for £600 down from £800 at PC world.

It's a delight. Beautiful, smooth, intuitive. Better than anything I've bought from Apple in a while, and definitely better than my lumbering apple laptop which cost £600 more a year ago

iOS is just rubbish in comparison. I will never buy another Apple MacBook.
    Interested to hear your very positive comments about your new Toshiba laptop, especially as I'm looking to buy a new Windows computer - could you confirm please which model you have purchased .... it sounds like a bargain.
    The new Dell laptop ranges are outstanding both technically and value for money. i7, 4k displays, M.2 SSD drives, dedicated graphics card, etc etc etc. And a much sleeker modern design, starting I think for about £750.

Just before Christmas, I got a technically superior laptop to anything Apple offers for < £1000.
    Many thanks for your helpful suggestions - I'll have a look see at Dell's offering.

On the retail side of things, it's surprising how things have changed over the past 2-3 years. At one time amazon were all conquering in the computer market, in terms of choice, price and availability - nowadays it's very much more a rag, tag and bobtail selection, including many second hand/reconditioned jobbies ...... not a welcoming experience at all.

PC World - Currys on the other hand, who appeared dead on their feet a few years ago, are now so much the market leader and are superior to amazon in every regard, including their bright and airy showrooms and very competitive pricing.
  • Options
    A niche tweet: this is start of BBC coverage of 1963 release of the Robbins Report, featuring Robin Day.
    https://t.co/8bxSjiLqek
  • Options
    For the competitive PBers

Countries With The Most Venomous Animals - https://t.co/BarLlf5g2J https://t.co/kfGfYmgIWa
This discussion has been closed.