Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Assessing Marco Rubio: A surge or just a bubble

Comments

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

weejonnie said:

Mr. Jonathan, you modernist anti-patriot!

What could be simpler than 12 pence in a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound, 5 shillings to a crown, 2 shillings to a florin, 21 shillings to a guinea and 13d 4s to a mark?

You missed out 4 farthings (or 16 quarter farthings) to a penny.

And here's a sobering thought

"By the 1950s bus conductors were refusing to accept farthing coins and their value was so small that their usefulness was felt to be over. None were minted after 1956 and they were not legal tender after 1960. The new penny introduced in 1971 is about the same size as a farthing (20 millimetres in diameter), but such has been the fall in the value of money that its purchasing power is less than 50 per cent of what the farthing’s was on its final day. - See more at: http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/farthings-last-day#sthash.cCUsiugJ.dpuf"
    And yet we don't blink at buying some iPhone thingy or some such with more computing power than Apollo 11. The cost of a valve driven 405 line TV in 1956 was (I think) eye watering so much so that you rented them. You used to have tv repaimen who would come and replace the valves or the tube! Now we don't have lines we have plasma no tubes and several per house.
    The calculator app on the iphone alone has more computing power than Apollo 11, never mind the iphone itself.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Kippers don't want to go back to anything. All parties have an ideology, Ukip's is a libertarian state with low tax and minimal govt interference. I've attended dozens of meetings, most involve a good row over a few drinks and handshaking at the end. I appreciate that sounds odd to on message, statist, tribalists but it's reality. Whether the party grows or not is moot, we're a group of people tired of the way we're governed.

Most importantly we have a vote on the ghastly EU which is the very epitome of everything kippers dislike: a bureaucratic, all watching, all controlling, undemocratic federal state.

Kippers are forward thinkers with a vision of independence and the power of individuals over the state, I'm far more comfortable with that than the hypocritical stance by so called liberals who bang on about gay marriage but expect us to embrace Muslim culture.

A good exmple of how bonkers you are, and desperate in trying to link support for gay marriage with 'embracing' Muslim' culture.
    Oh dear Mr flightpath, you're confused again.

Let me be clear so you can do your own research.

I'm very comfortable about gay marriage, pop down to your local mosque or synagogue and ask them if there'll perform a gay marriage ceremony.

And them come back to me and talk about who is bonkers.

I want the same laws to apply equally and fairly - do you?
    No one is forcing any religious establishment to perform gay weddings.
    I'm all in favour of freedom of conscience. But religious groups that cannot abide by the state's values should not retain tax privileged status. They're free not to perform gay weddings. And we're free to decide that as a consequence they should not get largesse from the state.
  • Options
    Just bought Gloria de Peiro's price for next leader down to 5 from 50 on BF. Not a lot of money floating around on this market so far.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I think either allowing or not allowing tax-privileged status to religions are defensible positions, but arguing yes for some and no to others, attempting to cause parts of holy books to be discarded in order to retain tax-privilege, is not, I think, right.

Consider the Catholic adoption agencies that closed because they'd have to, by law, assist gay couples. Who's won there? Gay couples still don't have the extra help. Straight couples have a diminished chance of adopting. Orphans have a diminished chance of being adopted.

Mr. Jessop, not so much an iron suit as an iron onesie[sp]?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Kippers don't want to go back to anything. All parties have an ideology, Ukip's is a libertarian state with low tax and minimal govt interference. I've attended dozens of meetings, most involve a good row over a few drinks and handshaking at the end. I appreciate that sounds odd to on message, statist, tribalists but it's reality. Whether the party grows or not is moot, we're a group of people tired of the way we're governed.

Most importantly we have a vote on the ghastly EU which is the very epitome of everything kippers dislike: a bureaucratic, all watching, all controlling, undemocratic federal state.

Kippers are forward thinkers with a vision of independence and the power of individuals over the state, I'm far more comfortable with that than the hypocritical stance by so called liberals who bang on about gay marriage but expect us to embrace Muslim culture.

A good exmple of how bonkers you are, and desperate in trying to link support for gay marriage with 'embracing' Muslim' culture.

I'm very comfortable about gay marriage, pop down to your local mosque or synagogue and ask them if there'll perform a gay marriage ceremony.

I'm all in favour of freedom of conscience. But religious groups that cannot abide by the state's values should not retain tax privileged status. They're free not to perform gay weddings. And we're free to decide that as a consequence they should not get largesse from the state.
    there's no real need for any religious groups to be performing the legal parts of weddings, is there?

(but is there any real need for their tax priveleges, anyway?)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Alistair said:

chuckle

so in the past when the state's values were anti-gay, none of those liberal libertarian groups should have been enjoyed state funding ?

Jobbik rubbing off on you these days ?
  • Options
    Klopp misses Liverpool game....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

Moses_ said:

Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the moon, has died in Florida, aged 85

Within 20 years there will be nobody left alive who has walked on the moon.

If you had predicted that in the 1970s no one would have believed you.
    Only 7 left of the original 12. It really is ridiculous we have not gone back in more than 43 years
    Indeed. I think the moonlandings, which happened when I was between 4 and 7 years old have had more of an influence on my outlook than any other news event of my life. I don't know if others feel the same, but I think I grew up with the feeling that Humanity could do anything if it really tried. (That's not true of course, but it feels good to be optimistic.)
    We can do anything (within reason). It's just that instead of space, our efforts have gone into other areas.

Just look at computer chips. The first integrated circuit was developed in the late 1950s; by the time of the Apollo mission there were chips like the Intel 4004 (a direct predecessor of today's x86 chips, and I think backwards compatible) had 2,300 transistors.

Modern chips can have 6 or 7 billion transistors, using tech as radical as FinFET.

Look at medical progress as well; the arts; cars / aviation (leaving aside speed), etc, etc.
    All true.

What we can't do is abrogate the laws of physics and travel between the stars faster than light. My 7 year old self would have been deeply irritated by that.

Then again, at this rate it will take forever to explore even our own star system.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Btw, @astVintageSpace is live-tweeting Apollo 14 at this moment. Near the end of the second EVA now.

Got to the golfing moment. 45 years ago right about now.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Alistair said:

One doesn't necessarily follow from the other.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Religious groups shouldn't get largesse from the state anyway.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Alistair said:

By definition, any religious organisation is bound to have beliefs and practices which differ from those of the State, at any point in time. Religious organisations should either be charitable (if they're deemed to provide a public benefit) or they shouldn't (if they're deemed not to).

There are many charities that espouse views that conflict with those of the government of the day.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

By definition, any religious organisation is bound to have beliefs and practices which differ from those of the State, at any point in time. Religious organisations should either be charitable (if they're deemed to provide a public benefit) or they shouldn't (if they're deemed not to).

There are many charities that espouse views that conflict with those of the government of the day.
    I suspect Mr Meeks means organisations whose views he doesn't share should have no access to money.

Pink bowler hat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Should corporations which provide a public benefit gain tax free status too? I think my company provides many benefits to the community and would love to avoid paying any tax as a result, how do I sign up to that?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

I suspect Mr Meeks means organisations whose views he doesn't share should have no access to money.

Pink bowler hat.
    How about organisations are simply treated on a level playing field and pay their taxes due and get no funding from the taxpayers? If that means lower but consistent tax rates for everyone then even better.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, add -ology to the end of the company name, point to Scientology being accorded religious status simply because it defines itself as such, appoint your CEO archpriest, and enjoy the reduced tax status.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Should corporations which provide a public benefit gain tax free status too? I think my company provides many benefits to the community and would love to avoid paying any tax as a result, how do I sign up to that?
    "Public Benefit" is the key test to determine whether any not for profit organisation can claim charitable status, under the Act of 2006.

There's a perfectly valid argument that such organisations should not receive any tax privileges, and be treated like any other club or association, but up to now, governments have found the arrangement beneficial (they also give some nifty tax benefits to political parties).
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I think the Apollo had a series 1 IBM computer - I have worked on those...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Pink bowler hat.
    How about organisations are simply treated on a level playing field and pay their taxes due and get no funding from the taxpayers? If that means lower but consistent tax rates for everyone then even better.
    Wouldn't have a problem with that at all.
  • Options

I would agree with that. What you could then do if needed was target specific areas of an organisation's operations for tax relief or grants if that work is deemed so vital to the pubic good - I am thinking of the upkeep of ancient buildings or specific charity work.
  • Options

People interested in the Syrian war may find this site which I stumbled across interesting - it has a lot of material flooding in:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Syrian+Civil+War

Because of the sheer volume of Iranian stuff it gives the impression of bias, but it also includes material which is anti-Assad and pro-Western, so I'm not sure if it's just that they include everything they get and the Iranians send them more. Certainly Assad's people are sounding cheerful, e.g. abolishing security checkpoints in Latakia since the enemy is now so far off that they aren't needed any more. Aleppo seems to be gradually falling, with a stream of messages reminiscent of the Stalingrad struggle which is seems to resemble - this battle for the cheese factory, that advance into a disputed farm. There was a menacing "If the Sauds intervene that would mean war" report from Russia, though the details seemed to be more legalistic than directly threatening.

What's happening with Cameron's '70,000' strong 'moderate' army ?

Careful mate the loons will accuse you of posting from Moscow, being the super patriots they so obviously are. Of course it avoids having to answer the awkward question as to why, so soon after Iraq, the PM is lying to Parliament and British foreign policy, so obviously against our national interest, has been to destabilise and overthrow the Syrian government creating the current refugee crisis.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

"Public Benefit" is the key test to determine whether any not for profit organisation can claim charitable status, under the Act of 2006.

There's a perfectly valid argument that such organisations should not receive any tax privileges, and be treated like any other club or association, but up to now, governments have found the arrangement beneficial (they also give some nifty tax benefits to political parties).
    So if I run a pub/restaurant which provides a public benefit of providing community atmosphere for the town, food and drink for people, somewhere for people who don't pay for Sky to watch live sports (even if they don't buy anything) then that's providing many public benefits to the local area. Heck pub is short for public house. I don't need to pay taxes then?

Treating political parties on a level playing field with the people they write laws for sounds like a good thing too. Maybe tax rates wouldn't rise so quickly if they were affected.
  • Options

I would agree with that. What you could then do if needed was target specific areas of an organisation's operations for tax relief or grants if that work is deemed so vital to the pubic good - I am thinking of the upkeep of ancient buildings or specific charity work.
    In principle I agree. I don't think campaigning, whether religious or secular, should be covered by charitable status. Nor should gifts to political parties be exempt from Inheritance Tax.

I suppose the arguments then come down to whether some activities are seen as charitable or not eg animal welfare.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    !!#+!

Number of Syrian refugees heading for Turkey border nearly doubles, 35,000 in past 24 hours, Turkish official says https://t.co/uw7U859ryW
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

In principle I agree. I don't think campaigning, whether religious or secular, should be covered by charitable status. Nor should gifts to political parties be exempt from Inheritance Tax.

I suppose the arguments then come down to whether some activities are seen as charitable or not eg animal welfare.
    charity should be based on how much money reaches the front line of the causes they advance. Too many charities these days are direct marketing organisations.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

So if I run a pub/restaurant which provides a public benefit of providing community atmosphere for the town, food and drink for people, somewhere for people who don't pay for Sky to watch live sports (even if they don't buy anything) then that's providing many public benefits to the local area. Heck pub is short for public house. I don't need to pay taxes then?

Treating political parties on a level playing field with the people they write laws for sounds like a good thing too. Maybe tax rates wouldn't rise so quickly if they were affected.
    It would have to be a not for profit organisation, like many public schools.
  • Options

People interested in the Syrian war may find this site which I stumbled across interesting - it has a lot of material flooding in:

Because of the sheer volume of Iranian stuff it gives the impression of bias, but it also includes material which is anti-Assad and pro-Western, so I'm not sure if it's just that they include everything they get and the Iranians send them more. Certainly Assad's people are sounding cheerful, e.g. abolishing security checkpoints in Latakia since the enemy is now so far off that they aren't needed any more. Aleppo seems to be gradually falling, with a stream of messages reminiscent of the Stalingrad struggle which is seems to resemble - this battle for the cheese factory, that advance into a disputed farm. There was a menacing "If the Sauds intervene that would mean war" report from Russia, though the details seemed to be more legalistic than directly threatening.

A lot of the Iranian stuff would be more accurate than the stuff put out in our own media.

Have read that two brigades from 101st Airborne are going to Iraq, little progress being made there in contrast to Syria. Supposedly the Iranians are also sending more to Syria, people have had enough of the war and they want to end it in three months not six.

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/

This is a very good website run by the former head of ME analysis at the DIA in the US. A lot of the loons on here really wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    LondonBob said:

Careful mate the loons will accuse you of posting from Moscow, being the super patriots they so obviously are. Of course it avoids having to answer the awkward question as to why, so soon after Iraq, the PM is lying to Parliament and British foreign policy, so obviously against our national interest, has been to destabilise and overthrow the Syrian government creating the current refugee crisis.
    Cameron didn't create the refugee crisis, you Moscow-based loon. Assad did that when the civil war started.

Assad's the sick bastard to blame: no-one else, and certainly not the civilians his regime has been killing in their tens of thousands, inside and outside prison. Not that I would expect you to accept that.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Or Universities.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited February 2016

As with making immigrants embrace "British values", it's elusive to pin down quite what values we should require in order to gain privileges of any kind. The Charity Commissioners attempt to decide, and make lots of decisions that others might disagree with. Should Scientology benefit? Moderate religious groups? Peaceful fundamentalist groups? Eton? Groups who wish to work towards ending animal experiments (I have an interest there)? (The current answers are No/Yes/not sure/Yes/No)

I honestly don't have a clue how it can be addressed in a fair and systematic way. The current arrangement of having an unelected quango do its best is a very British fudge, and in the absence of a logical approach maybe that's best, but it's not great.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Not for profit but wages, even high wages, are allowed with charitable organisations. So if I state that the organisation is now not for profit but pay myself and my staff wages equivalent to what the profits would have been then everything is OK?
  • Options
    Louise Mensch is putting the Leave case better than most

Every week Britain sends half the budget for our schools to Brussels. £350m. Yes, that's the real figure. #Brexit https://t.co/raRi9LWCKr
  • Options

Sean_F said:

charity should be based on how much money reaches the front line of the causes they advance. Too many charities these days are direct marketing organisations.
    And which are in effect involuntarily funded by the taxpayer.
  • Options
    Man City 0-1 Leicester
  • Options
    edited February 2016

As with making immigrants embrace "British values", it's elusive to pin down quite what values we should require in order to gain privileges of any kind. The Charity Commissioners attempt to decide, and make lots of decisions that others might disagree with. Should Scientology benefit? Moderate religious groups? Peaceful fundamentalist groups? Eton? Groups who wish to work towards ending animal experiments (I have an interest there)? (The current answers are No/Yes/not sure/Yes/No)

I honestly don't have a clue how it can be addressed in a fair and systematic way. The current arrangement of having an unelected quango do its best is a very British fudge, and in the absence of a logical approach maybe that's best, but it's not great.
    To take one example, religious organisations tend to be far more liberal/left towards asylum claimants, illegal immigrants, benefit claimants, than the State is. Would we make their charitable status dependent on their their being more hardline?
  • Options
    Bloody Foreigners, coming over here, radicalising British people.

The far-right movement, bolstered by foreign-born fascists living in the UK, is becoming increasingly violent as it seeks to orchestrate attacks against British Muslims, according to new analysis of the network of militant rightwing groups.

Buoyed by the normalisation of Islamophobic rhetoric by elements of the mainstream media, the increasingly radicalised ideology adopted by the UK’s far-right movement will lead to greater confrontation, says the anti-racist group Hope Not Hate.

The warnings come ahead of a planned demonstration by Polish neo-nazis and football hooligans in Manchester later this month in support of a “British white country”, which they have called: “Fuck Islam & Isis”. Intelligence indicates that a violent British far-right outfit, the North West Infidels (NWI), are planning to join them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/06/foreign-born-fascists-radicalise-uk-far-right-movement
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Not for profit but wages, even high wages, are allowed with charitable organisations. So if I state that the organisation is now not for profit but pay myself and my staff wages equivalent to what the profits would have been then everything is OK?
    You could have a try.
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

A lot of the Iranian stuff would be more accurate than the stuff put out in our own media.

Have read that two brigades from 101st Airborne are going to Iraq, little progress being made there in contrast to Syria. Supposedly the Iranians are also sending more to Syria, people have had enough of the war and they want to end it in three months not six.

This is a very good website run by the former head of ME analysis at the DIA in the US. A lot of the loons on here really wouldn't like it.
    Someone so important (in your eyes at least) seems to have rather few followers: less than you could count on the hands of a woman tortured by Assad's thugs.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Moses_ said:

Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the moon, has died in Florida, aged 85

Only 7 left of the original 12. It really is ridiculous we have not gone back in more than 43 years
    Indeed. I think the moonlandings, which happened when I was between 4 and 7 years old have had more of an influence on my outlook than any other news event of my life. I don't know if others feel the same, but I think I grew up with the feeling that Humanity could do anything if it really tried. (That's not true of course, but it feels good to be optimistic.)
    We can do anything (within reason). It's just that instead of space, our efforts have gone into other areas.

Just look at computer chips. The first integrated circuit was developed in the late 1950s; by the time of the Apollo mission there were chips like the Intel 4004 (a direct predecessor of today's x86 chips, and I think backwards compatible) had 2,300 transistors.

Modern chips can have 6 or 7 billion transistors, using tech as radical as FinFET.

Look at medical progress as well; the arts; cars / aviation (leaving aside speed), etc, etc.
    All true.

What we can't do is abrogate the laws of physics and travel between the stars faster than light.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing!" :)

• Options

The far-right movement, bolstered by foreign-born fascists living in the UK, is becoming increasingly violent as it seeks to orchestrate attacks against British Muslims, according to new analysis of the network of militant rightwing groups.

Buoyed by the normalisation of Islamophobic rhetoric by elements of the mainstream media, the increasingly radicalised ideology adopted by the UK’s far-right movement will lead to greater confrontation, says the anti-racist group Hope Not Hate.

The warnings come ahead of a planned demonstration by Polish neo-nazis and football hooligans in Manchester later this month in support of a “British white country”, which they have called: “Fuck Islam & Isis”. Intelligence indicates that a violent British far-right outfit, the North West Infidels (NWI), are planning to join them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/06/foreign-born-fascists-radicalise-uk-far-right-movement

That old bogeryman again. There's more left wing violence in the UK than right wing. The righties are just too spilt and disorganised to do much. But it helps the Guardian sell grievance.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Sean_F said:

And which are in effect involuntarily funded by the taxpayer.
    But that's difficult to be doghmatic about too. Take an example. We all agree that Nazi slaughter of the Jews was a bad thing. A charity that attempted to help fugitives from the Nazis with direct assistance - food, clothing, etc. - would presumably have been uncontroversial. What about one that broke German law in trying to get fugitives out? Or that criticised appeasement by the British government on the grounds that it would lead to allowing terrible atrocities?

The "front line" argument benefits charities who try to address suffering directly, but don't try to express an opinion on the causes of suffering. It's a possible line to draw, but is it the right one? I don't know.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    On topic.
    First N.H. tracking poll of the day has the Rubio surge going into reverse, confirming the CNN and ARG tracking polls that showed the same yesterday:

U.M N.H. daily tracking poll

Trump 35 +1
    Rubio 14 -1
    Cruz 13 -1
    Kasich 10 +2
    Bush 10 +2
    Christie 4 -1
    Carson 3 -1
    Fiorina 3

http://www.uml.edu/docs/2-6 TOPLINE - UMassLowell-7NEWS NH PRIMARY_tcm18-230852.pdf

But that doesn't matter, there's a debate today.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2016

That old bogeryman again. There's more left wing violence in the UK than right wing. The righties are just too spilt and disorganised to do much. But it helps the Guardian sell grievance.

Hope not Hate & The Guardian hahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,075

LondonBob said:

Cameron didn't create the refugee crisis, you Moscow-based loon. Assad did that when the civil war started.

Assad's the sick bastard to blame: no-one else, and certainly not the civilians his regime has been killing in their tens of thousands, inside and outside prison. Not that I would expect you to accept that.
    Your usual bias, no worse than the lovely PEOPLE Cameron is supporting. Two cheeks of the same ARSE. At least Assad was elected to govern Syria.
  • Options

LondonBob said:

Someone so important (in your eyes at least) seems to have rather few followers: less than you could count on the hands of a woman tortured by Assad's thugs.
    Naught but Turkish propaganda :)
  • Options

I don't know why the far right keeps on holding demonstrations outside my place in Manchester.

I'm going to start taking it personally now, plus their grasp of history is appalling.

I think I would break their hearts if I told them that I'm probably a closer descendant of Saint George than they are.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Assad was given the job by his father..
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2016
    I notice the BBC are running a poor migrants in Calais are being attacked...after hearing from a migrant who claimed to have been attacked by masked individuals for 20 minutes demanding his valuables, the presenter immediately said well that will be far right extremists....and had to be shot down by a women who volunteers in the camp who said we can't say that...it seems a bit funny to me that those purely motivated by racism would be concerned first and foremost about spending 20 mins attacking somebody for his mobile phone...in that time they could easily beat up more people.

It is like a couple of weeks ago when they were busy reporting that the gun violence was all outsiders and that Brits are heavily involved in people smuggling, but that story fell apart when migrants in the camp said no it is turf war within the camp and it is the Afghan and Albanians who control the smuggling.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,075

Assad was given the job by his father..

Bit like how Cameron got there as well then , though he had a few helpers.
  • Options

The feeble minded are everywhere. It does show the dangers in blind ignorant kneekerk foul mouthed instant ranting.
  • Options

Louise Mensch is putting the Leave case better than most

Every week Britain sends half the budget for our schools to Brussels. £350m. Yes, that's the real figure. #Brexit https://t.co/raRi9LWCKr

That's more than India receives from us in a YEAR :)
  • Options
    For Rubio and Cruz they don't have to win N.H. , it's not a life or death moment for their campaigns, they can afford it, S.Carolina is their life or death primary.

They can't afford to lose S.Carolina if they've lost N.H., but Trump can't afford to lose N.H after Iowa.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited February 2016
    On topic, laying Trump is the way to go.

I never had any doubts, ahem.
  • Options

I don't know why the far right keeps on holding demonstrations outside my place in Manchester.

I'm going to start taking it personally now, plus their grasp of history is appalling.

I think I would break their hearts if I told them that I'm probably a closer descendant of Saint George than they are.
    I'm amazed there's any far right in Manchester.

I hope you're civil and bring them both a hot cup of tea while they're protesting.
  • Options

The feeble minded are everywhere. It does show the dangers in blind ignorant kneekerk foul mouthed instant ranting.
    So what's your excuse?
  • Options

LondonBob said:

I think the blame has to be at those who thought that promoting democracy in the middle east was a good idea.
    And of course the impulse of governments to export their domestic problems when they are down in the polls.

It's not a coincidence that all around europe there is a war zone that was fueled by unpopular european governments who tried to boost their popularity in the polls by appearing macho in foreign and military affairs.
  • Options

Hope Not Hate desperately looking for an upswing in far-right "fascism" to justify their own existence.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Lol at the Guardian tagging the article with the following:
    The far right
    UK Independence party (Ukip)
    Migration
  • Options
    The RNLI don't just rescue people. Great warming story. I'll be leaving bequests to them than AgeUK graspers. More horrors coming out now.
    However, workmen today reported seeing a German shepherd diving into the crashing waves off Hastings' seafront, and the RNLI lifeboat crew were scrambled to search the choppy waters.

After scouring the sea for the dog, the crew eventually found the animal paddling 'on its last legs' about a mile away from the shore but feared it 'wasn't going to survive much longer'.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3431983/German-shepherd-went-missing-five-days-rescued-lifeboat-MILE-sea-chasing-seagull.html#newcomment
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited February 2016

I hope you're civil and bring them both a hot cup of tea while they're protesting.
    There's been a strong EDL presence in Manchester a few times a year, but mostly they get outnumbered by shoppers who get pissed off at them for the blocking them.

Easy to spot, they have appalling fashion tastes, knocked off Burberry, One True Saxon clothing, baseball caps, most people ignore them, they mostly sing 'there ain't no black in the Union Jack' and fuck Islam and Immigration type ditties. I did once spot a red hand flag, which shocked me. Ulstermen engaging in sectarianism, say it ain't so?

I once walked into a demo between them and UAF, was very unpleasant (not realising they were going to be there)

I'm specifically enjoined by my contract from going near any protesters as I nearly incited a riot when the hard left turned outside work a few years ago and I started waving fifty pound notes at them and was tempted to start throwing soap at them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Speedy said:

On topic.
    First N.H. tracking poll of the day has the Rubio surge going into reverse, confirming the CNN and ARG tracking polls that showed the same yesterday:

Trump 35 +1
    Rubio 14 -1
    Cruz 13 -1
    Kasich 10 +2
    Bush 10 +2
    Christie 4 -1
    Carson 3 -1
    Fiorina 3

http://www.uml.edu/docs/2-6 TOPLINE - UMassLowell-7NEWS NH PRIMARY_tcm18-230852.pdf

Saviour-of-the-Repulicans Rubio just four points ahead of dead-in-the-water-why-hasn't-he-suspended-his-campaign-yet Jeb Bush?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    LucyJones said:

Hope Not Hate desperately looking for an upswing in far-right "fascism" to justify their own existence.
    I think the UK is far too tolerant to ever see a revival of the far-right. These groups do not seem to ever attract a great deal of support. Usually it is just a handful of deadbeats.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LondonBob said:

Your usual bias, no worse than the lovely PEOPLE Cameron is supporting. Two cheeks of the same ARSE. At least Assad was elected to govern Syria.
    Yes, ELIZA. You really need to get those drunken first-year programmers to fix your Tourettes.
  • Options

The RNLI don't just rescue people. Great warming story. I'll be leaving bequests to them than AgeUK graspers. More horrors coming out now.

However, workmen today reported seeing a German shepherd diving into the crashing waves off Hastings' seafront, and the RNLI lifeboat crew were scrambled to search the choppy waters.

After scouring the sea for the dog, the crew eventually found the animal paddling 'on its last legs' about a mile away from the shore but feared it 'wasn't going to survive much longer'.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3431983/German-shepherd-went-missing-five-days-rescued-lifeboat-MILE-sea-chasing-seagull.html#newcomment

One thing I found out recently is that you should never go onto ice to rescue a dog that's fallen through it. The dog is far more likely to get out than you are.
  • Options
    Interestingly, Labour HMG banned Scientology from UK and Mrs T declared it was unfair bias against a single religious body. And reversed it as only they were discriminated against.

Mr. Thompson, add -ology to the end of the company name, point to Scientology being accorded religious status simply because it defines itself as such, appoint your CEO archpriest, and enjoy the reduced tax status.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

The far right
    Migration
    These Guardian/Hope Not Hate/Cameroon types all seem to have agendas

Johann Hari's made up stories spring to mind at the moment
  • Options

Klopp misses Liverpool game....

Job interview?
  • Options

On topic, laying Trump is the way to go.

I never had any doubts, ahem.

I don't think Trump will win N.H., he has steadied the boat a bit, but his gap with Rubio is only 10-15 points, not big enough in my view.

Of course if the tracking polls show no traction for Rubio by polling day then I might revise.
    There is today's debate and the weather as deciding factors in N.H.
  • Options

The far-right outfit, the North West Infidels (NWI), are planning to join them.

There's been a strong EDL presence in Manchester a few times a year, but mostly they get outnumbered by shoppers who get pissed off at them for the blocking them.

Easy to spot, they have appalling fashion tastes, knocked off Burberry, One True Saxon clothing, baseball caps, most people ignore them, they mostly sing 'there ain't no black in the Union Jack' and fuck Islam and Immigration type ditties. I did once spot a red hand flag, which shocked me. Ulstermen engaging in sectarianism, say it ain't so?

I once walked into a demo between them and UAF, was very unpleasant (not realising they were going to be there)

I'm specifically enjoined by my contract from going near any protesters as I nearly incited a riot when the hard left turned outside work a few years ago and I started waving fifty pound notes at them and was tempted to start throwing soap at them.
    From my time in Manchester ( 5 years ) I never remember seeing anything Far right. Even though the NUS kept inventing them. But then it was headed by Phil Woollas.
  • Options
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

The far right
    Migration
    These Guardian/Hope Not Hate/Cameroon types all seem to have agendas

Johann Hari's made up stories spring to mind at the moment
    I remember when "his mate Dave" came home one day to find his fiancee having sex with her own father, and expressed astonishment that her intended husband should raise any objection.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

I think the UK is far too tolerant to ever see a revival of the far-right. These groups do not seem to ever attract a great deal of support. Usually it is just a handful of deadbeats.
    Indeed, as I said yesterday, a recent captain of the England cricket team was a Muslim immigrant to the country, and a likely contender to be the next Tory Leader/PM is the son of a Muslim immigrant.

Most of the country will be like, are they qualified for the role, yes? So what's the weather like.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

Every society has its breaking point, and this was pre Rotherham, Rigby, Cologne etc

"Huge numbers of Britons would support an anti-immigration English nationalist party if it was not associated with violence and fascist imagery, according to the largest survey into identity and extremism conducted in the UK.

A Populus poll found that 48% of the population would consider supporting a new anti-immigration party committed to challenging Islamist extremism, and would support policies to make it statutory for all public buildings to fly the flag of St George or the union flag.

39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". Just over half of respondents – 52% – agreed with the proposition that "Muslims create problems in the UK."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I think the blame has to be at those who thought that promoting democracy in the middle east was a good idea.
    And of course the impulse of governments to export their domestic problems when they are down in the polls.

It's not a coincidence that all around europe there is a war zone that was fueled by unpopular european governments who tried to boost their popularity in the polls by appearing macho in foreign and military affairs.

No. The blame is with Assad.

It's a question of when people call for democracy, do we support them or do we support the murdering strongmen such as Assad?

It's one thing to tell people in Scotland (and even the UK with the EU referendum) that we can choose our own path, but it's quite another to tell others in other countries that they are too wee and too pathetic to look after themselves, and they should just stand back and be jailed without trial, abused, and/or murdered.

Democracy's good. As an example, hopefully Myanmar will start a recovery now it looks as though democracy of a sort has started.

You are right in one thing: the ME has been the playground of rival outside groups for centuries. Perhaps its time to actually let the people rule themselves and end that cycle. Although that might require some of the countries to look very different. if not, the cycle of oppression and death will just continue.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Speedy said:

On topic.

Trump 35 +1
    Rubio 14 -1
    Cruz 13 -1
    Kasich 10 +2
    Bush 10 +2
    Christie 4 -1
    Carson 3 -1
    Fiorina 3

Saviour-of-the-Repulicans Rubio just four points ahead of dead-in-the-water-why-hasn't-he-suspended-his-campaign-yet Jeb Bush?
    The weird thing is that there is still saturated media coverage of Rubio, so that's not his problem there, he got a boost of around 7 points from Iowa but that's it so far.
    No sustained momentum so far despite favourable media coverage , instead his surge is reversing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

Re the previous comments on Windows 10, I thought of this (although it is a bit old now).
    https://xkcd.com/528/

Windows 10 seems to be working alright on my laptop (this is being typed, mistyped, on a tablet). It's a HP Pavilion bought in PC World at about £150 off. Reasonable value. Came with W8 and I left it at that, but it looked to have installed 10 behind my back. Its main annoyance is hitting prt scr by accident and sendind screen shots to some cloud gizmo. But very good battery life. Pity you have to 'rent' MS Office.

I tried a chrome book , great for browsing but I did not like the cloud word processing software. Then the keys started sticking, seems to be so common that PC World gave me a voucher back to buy something else, ie the Pavilion. Starts quickly and has 8 hrs battery. Not too heavy.
    End of advert.

PS I hate printers and the cost of ink.

Windowd 10 is pretty solid and much faster than previous versions.

You also off the PrntScr to cloud option.
    I just bought a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 10, got it for £600 down from £800 at PC world.

It's a delight. Beautiful, smooth, intuitive. Better than anything I've bought from Apple in a while, and definitely better than my lumbering apple laptop which cost £600 more a year ago

iOS is just rubbish in comparison. I will never buy another Apple MacBook.
    Interested to hear your very positive comments about your new Toshiba laptop, especially as I'm looking to buy a new Windows computer - could you confirm please which model you have purchased .... it sounds like a bargain.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Why go back to the moon? It's boring....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

he had a few helpers.

11,334,576 of them at the last election
  • Options
    Ditto.

I'm after one with a backlit keyboard that doesn't charge stupid money for the price and don't want to spec my own.

SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

Re the previous comments on Windows 10, I thought of this (although it is a bit old now).

Windows 10 seems to be working alright on my laptop (this is being typed, mistyped, on a tablet). It's a HP Pavilion bought in PC World at about £150 off. Reasonable value. Came with W8 and I left it at that, but it looked to have installed 10 behind my back. Its main annoyance is hitting prt scr by accident and sendind screen shots to some cloud gizmo. But very good battery life. Pity you have to 'rent' MS Office.

I tried a chrome book , great for browsing but I did not like the cloud word processing software. Then the keys started sticking, seems to be so common that PC World gave me a voucher back to buy something else, ie the Pavilion. Starts quickly and has 8 hrs battery. Not too heavy.
    End of advert.

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 10, got it for £600 down from £800 at PC world.

It's a delight. Beautiful, smooth, intuitive. Better than anything I've bought from Apple in a while, and definitely better than my lumbering apple laptop which cost £600 more a year ago

Interested to hear your very positive comments about your new Toshiba laptop, especially as I'm looking to buy a new Windows computer - could you confirm please which model you have purchased .... it sounds like a bargain.
  • Options

LondonBob said:

I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the reply I have him a month or so ago. :(

Although talking of Turkey, there's an interesting special report in this week's Economist. I've only skimmed it so far, but it makes some good and some arguable points.

On the other hand, those of a sensitive Europhobic nature might find it's coverage of Cameron's EU deal upsetting ... ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

End of advert.

The new Dell laptop ranges are outstanding both technically and value for money. i7, 4k displays, M.2 SSD drives, dedicated graphics card, etc etc etc. And a much sleeker modern design, starting I think for about £750.

Just before Christmas, I got a technically superior laptop to anything Apple offers for < £1000.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    test
  • Options

From my time in Manchester ( 5 years ) I never remember seeing anything Far right. Even though the NUS kept inventing them. But then it was headed by Phil Woollas.
    Been a few in recent years under the EDL banner, usually outnumbered by the counter protesters, police, shoppers, and football fans.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/recap-english-defence-league-protest-8790228

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/03/edl-march-manchester-handful-arrests
  • Options
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

Every society has its breaking point, and this was pre Rotherham, Rigby, Cologne etc

"Huge numbers of Britons would support an anti-immigration English nationalist party if it was not associated with violence and fascist imagery, according to the largest survey into identity and extremism conducted in the UK.

A Populus poll found that 48% of the population would consider supporting a new anti-immigration party committed to challenging Islamist extremism, and would support policies to make it statutory for all public buildings to fly the flag of St George or the union flag.

39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". Just over half of respondents – 52% – agreed with the proposition that "Muslims create problems in the UK."

But they won't vote for people who are obviously thick, often criminals, and who admire Hitler.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

MP_SE said:

LucyJones said:

But they won't vote for people who are obviously thick, often criminals, and who admire Hitler.
    That's what it says
  • Options

Been a few in recent years under the EDL banner, usually outnumbered by the counter protesters, police, shoppers, and football fans.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/recap-english-defence-league-protest-8790228

sounds about as dangerous as the rollmops I'm having for lunch
  • Options
    BBC Archive
    #OnThisDay 1975: Need a swanky silk top hat? Speak to Sid, the last-remaining hand-made hatter in Britain https://t.co/KYUywzirZ1
  • Options

sounds about as dangerous as the rollmops I'm having for lunch
    Well a pretzel nearly killed George W Bush.
  • Options
    Going to have to really get a move on in the cricket....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Speedy said:

No. The blame is with Assad.

It's a question of when people call for democracy, do we support them or do we support the murdering strongmen such as Assad?

It's one thing to tell people in Scotland (and even the UK with the EU referendum) that we can choose our own path, but it's quite another to tell others in other countries that they are too wee and too pathetic to look after themselves, and they should just stand back and be jailed without trial, abused, and/or murdered.

Democracy's good. As an example, hopefully Myanmar will start a recovery now it looks as though democracy of a sort has started.

You are right in one thing: the ME has been the playground of rival outside groups for centuries. Perhaps its time to actually let the people rule themselves and end that cycle. Although that might require some of the countries to look very different. if not, the cycle of oppression and death will just continue.
    You can't impose democracy in a medieval society.
    Look at post colonial africa, they all started as western democracies, within 5 years they all became dictatorships, it took 40-50 years for a proper civil society to be built for democracy to be somewhat viable in africa.

You forget that societies in the west were already advanced when democracy came in the 19th and 20th centuries.

There are countless examples in which democracy failed to produce a prosperous and stable state, all of them in backwards societies, you can't expect much civil responsibility from people who's fathers where goatfarmers who lived in caves or huts under the candlelight.
    Corruption and incompetence will flourish as a first step towards dictatorial rule.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One thing I found out recently is that you should never go onto ice to rescue a dog that's fallen through it. The dog is far more likely to get out than you are.

That is absolutely right. Likewise if your dog is swept away by flood water. It is very likely to survive while there is very little chance you would. Of course, it's hard to be so rational if it comes to it. Also, I think people are led in little by little, thinking I'll just go out this far .. and so on.
  • Options

We've got Morgan, Buttler, and Stokes all to come in. Keep calm.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Its a staging post for going further out. Being able to start stellar exploration from the moon is a fraction of the energy cost of launching from Earth.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Its a staging post for going further out. Being able to start stellar exploration from the moon is a fraction of the energy cost of launching from Earth.
    Surely you have to get things from here to the Moon - unless we can turn the moon into a facility that can manufacture things. But that seems a long way off.
  • Options

We've got Morgan, Buttler, and Stokes all to come in. Keep calm.
    We're only about 10 runs behind where SA were at this point.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Point being, you need a more exciting programme to go SOMEWHRE from the Moon. We can't even find the funds to go to Mars....
  • Options

LondonBob said:

I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the reply I have him a month or so ago. :(

Although talking of Turkey, there's an interesting special report in this week's Economist. I've only skimmed it so far, but it makes some good and some arguable points.

On the other hand, those of a sensitive Europhobic nature might find it's coverage of Cameron's EU deal upsetting ... ;)
    The Economist is rabidly pro-EU. Why would one expect them to write anything balanced or logical about the subject?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

On topic.

Trump 35 +1
    Rubio 14 -1
    Cruz 13 -1
    Kasich 10 +2
    Bush 10 +2
    Christie 4 -1
    Carson 3 -1
    Fiorina 3

The weird thing is that there is still saturated media coverage of Rubio, so that's not his problem there, he got a boost of around 7 points from Iowa but that's it so far.
    No sustained momentum so far despite favourable media coverage , instead his surge is reversing.
    Probably because I placed a bet on him being POTUS yesterday. Kiss of death given my track record last year.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

About time....

Organisations that are given government grants will be banned from using the money to try to persuade ministers to change the law or increase spending.

A new clause will be added into all new and renewed grant agreements to ensure funds are spent on good causes, rather than on political campaigns.

Cabinet Office minister Matthew Hancock said "the farce of government lobbying government" had to stop.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35509117

How does that apply to such charities as Citizens Advice? CitA often sees unintended consequences of government action, and urges changes. This decision seems to limit charities freedom to take necessary action in support of those they are trying to help.
    Yes, it would seem to shut down feedback on the actual consequences of legislation.

It also seems to have a glaring big hole in it. Charities funded by HMG could essentially put a firewall between funded and lobbying activities by simply creating a separate legal entity but acting as if they were one with the exception of funding. Or the could simply have individuals lobby on their behalf.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Oh my word Mahrez!

Spurs have never been shorter for the league :neutral:
This discussion has been closed.