Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON loses 2 of the 3 local by-elections it was defending

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

taffys said:

''Are there really people upset because David Cameron has advised MPs to do what's in their hearts? Extraordinary.''

At the same time as his sidekick is threatening them with their careers? do me a favour.

The Bufton Tuftons are actually foaming in the Telegraph because David Cameron has advocated that MPs make their own minds up on the subject. It seems that in their eyes MPs are allowed to come up with any answer so long as it's Leave.
    Can you link to these tuftons ?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Conservative MPs should take a very careful look at what happened to their former Lib Dem chums in 2015, after those Lib Dem MPs got themselves elected on a false prospectus in 2010.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: My head just exploded https://t.co/ycG45BlhxJ
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    wut?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Conservative MPs should take a very careful look at what happened to their former Lib Dem chums in 2015, after those Lib Dem MPs got themselves elected on a false prospectus in 2010.

Not sure what you're implying here? If people don't like the deal, they can vote Leave. If enough do, we leave. That's what the Conservatives promised; that's what will be delivered.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The Bufton Tuftons are actually foaming in the Telegraph because David Cameron has advocated that MPs make their own minds up on the subject. It seems that in their eyes MPs are allowed to come up with any answer so long as it's Leave. ''

Perhaps some of the Buftons were in that constituency cheese and wine evening where the MP in question gave them to understand that, when push came to shove, he could be counted on as 'one of them'.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

Are there really people upset because David Cameron has advised MPs to do what's in their hearts? Extraordinary.

Yes, it's not their job. Their job is to represent their electorate.
    I suggest you reread Burke's speech to the electors of Bristol.
    He had some nice theories... I am not sure where that get us.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    This is hilarious.

Team Corbyn really need to up their game to beat this today :smiley:
    Scott_P said:
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The Bufton Tuftons are actually foaming in the Telegraph because David Cameron has advocated that MPs make their own minds up on the subject. It seems that in their eyes MPs are allowed to come up with any answer so long as it's Leave. ''

Perhaps some of the Buftons were in that constituency cheese and wine evening where the MP in question gave them to understand that, when push came to shove, he could be counted on as 'one of them'.

Not to mention at the various selection committees where they chose a particular candidate because they had been assured of their eurosceptic credentials, but who when push comes to shove have both eyes on the greasy pole.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Are there really people upset because David Cameron has advised MPs to do what's in their hearts? Extraordinary.

It gets us to the point that MPs are entitled, indeed expected, to do what's in their hearts.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Problem is, Osborne is telling the same people "do you want to support Brexit, or do you wants a career?"

It's like Rosa Klebb talking sweetly to her captives, after her minions have been torturing them.
    Osborne is working very hard at destroying his own chances.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The MP has been advised to do what's in his heart. If your concern is that the MP has been playing false with his local party, that's nothing to do with David Cameron.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Charles said:

Roger said:

FPT. Re Julian Assange. Cyclefree, TimT and David H

As I understand it the rape allegation refers to an offense that wouldn't be considered an offence in the UK (the non use of a condom). The reason he doesn't want to go to Sweden to contest it is because he believes there's a very real chance he'll be extradited from Sweden to the US where they DO want to charge him with publishing Wikileaks.

Unless my facts are wrong (wouldn't be the first time) this has nothing to do with avoiding facing rape charges but avoiding a lifetime in jail for publishing the truth

If he broke the law in order to obtain the material he published, then he is answerable for that. Just because he believes he is some sort of crusader, that does not put him above the law.

I am quite frankly fed up of his posturing. He is no saint. He knows he has broken laws and instead of fighting his case in court, he is hiding out playing the victim.
    He was absolutely right to publish the information he had. We need more people willing to do so not less.
    And he should be willing to stand up and be proud of what he did.

I think he was wrong to do so, but to skulk in the shadows undermines any values that he claims to represent. Especially as he has allegedly broken the law in Sweden and definitely broken the law in the UK (as a bail jumper)
    Not at all. He's indeed willing to stand up and be proud of it. He is not willing to go to jail or worse for something he feels should not be a crime in the first place.

Of course that is separate from the sex crime allegations for which he should be treated like everyone else.
    Richard I must apologise.

When we discussed it last year, your position was that Dave would go to the EU, achieve nothing and then lie about it. Mine was that he would go there, achieve whatever he was able, and then let the press dissect it.

We were both right but that's not to say he didn't, and isn't trying to lie about it.

I am super-disappointed and began to type out yesterday something along the lines of "who asked for a renegotiation anyway?" a la @DavidL but ennui probably engulfed me before I was able to press send.

...pauses to listen to Julian Assange on the streets...

I still have questions as to whether we are better off being presented with regulations on this that or the other, and how much influence we would have if we were not at the table (thinking of eg. financial services here).

But I am definitely edging towards Out.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Completely O/T, I know - but I thought that I would share the latest nonsense from the Rhodes Must Fall (Oxford Branch).

Having failed in their campaign to have a statue that no-one ever notice removed, they have now issued a new set of demands. I leave it for others to comment...

Rhodes Must Fall in Oxford’s “manifesto”:

First, we want a reckoning. We want Oxford to acknowledge and confront its role in the ongoing physical and ideological violence of empire. This requires an apology and increased scholarships for black students from Southern Africa.

Second, we want a commitment to recontextualizing iconography celebrating figures of grave injustice. Murderous colonists and slaveholders belong in books and museums, not on the sides of buildings. This requires the removal and rehousing of statues and portraits, and the renaming of buildings.

Third, we want a decolonized curriculum. We want to hear the voices suffocated into silence by a Eurocentric academy. We want to study different systems of knowledge and explore the work of people who deviate from the white Western canon that we are forcefed.

Fourth, we want representation for people of colour at all levels of the university. This requires, amongst other things, blind marked applications and implicit bias training for all academic staff.

Fifth, we want an immediate end to the outright racism people of colour face on campus. We want effective recourse for students, academics and non-academic staff to deal with racist discrimination and harassment. This requires race workshops for all incoming student cohorts. This requires an effective system for students and staff to report incidents of racism, which acknowledges the intersectional way that oppression based on racism interacts with oppression based on class, gender disability, and other grounds.

Sixth, we want the University to take responsibility for the culture it perpetuates. We want the work of anti-racist students and staff to be recognised and institutionalised. This requires payment for our labour. This requires a specific sabbatical position for Race at the Oxford University Students Union and paid Tutor for Race positions at both college and university level.

Seventh, we want the University and all related bodies to cease smear campaigns, and private intimidation, of our movement and our members.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited February 2016
    The WGAD Assange findings are actually worth reading.

Having looked through, I find myself more sympathetic to their findings than I expected to be. Mostly because (1) Sweden is essentially attempting to question Assange rather than, at this stage, charge him - and I can see the argument that the Swedish authorities haven't proceeded with due care or in due time on this matter (particularly if you are prepared to accept Assange's assertion that the questioning could take in the embassy, but even if not, the prosecutors really cocked up the case at the start); (2) were the situation replayed again today, UK courts would not recognise the European arrest warrant (since it was from a prosecutor not a judge, and concerned questioning rather than a formal charge); (3) the prospective custodial sentence in Sweden for rape would, anyway, be pretty limited compared to the time he has spent in confinement in the embassy.

Still, it rankles me that he jumped bail (must have rankled those who stumped up his bail too) and he can hardly lay responsibility for the saga dragging out the way that it did only at the door of the Swedish authorities.

Something I've never understood though: if Sweden was such a dangerous country for him, why was he there in the first place? The fact the US would like to prosecute him is hardly news, he must have been fully aware of the possibility of the US attempting to extradite him from wherever in the world his feet were touching (and, through his legal team, I'm sure he kept himself informed of the odds of their success on any given shade of foreign soil). Nor have I ever understood why he thought Britain so much safer than Sweden - it's not as if we have no precedent for extraditing poor unfortunates over the pond.

As for the man himself, I think that posers, messiah-activists and prats are as much part of society's rich and varied tapestry as are silver-tongued dupes who betray those supporters who believed themselves to be his friends and cost them tens of thousands of pounds in the process. I can tolerate the appearance of such people in life's pattern, but have no intention of being duped by them - or, to any extent I can avoid, interacting with them - and would rather stitch myself into some far-removed portion of the social fabric. More serious and more sinister is his abusive and degrading treatment of women (his online dating profile did the rounds a few years back, I think we can treat that as self-admitted) which I regard as utterly repugnant, even if I grant him the generosity of neglecting the prospect he transgressed serious criminal thresholds in his pursuits.
  • Options
    ''Not to mention at the various selection committees where they chose a particular candidate because they had been assured of their eurosceptic credentials, but who when push comes to shove have both eyes on the greasy pole.''

Indeed. That said, when you let the membership think the MPs should represent them and not the tory VOTERS, you start to get into big trouble. As labour will tell you.

They have a leader and policies the members really like. But not labour voters, and certainly not swing voters.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

It gets us to the point that MPs are entitled, indeed expected, to do what's in their hearts.
    Only if you believe in Mr Burke's theories. Its irrelevant anyway, if the MP had given undertakings to his association, and especially if he was selected on the basis of having certain views, his association is entitled to be furious if he reneges on those undertakings, or the PM suggests that they should.
  • Options
    And Ken pulls level

Kevin Schofield
    Good old Ken, helpful as ever. John McDonnell will be Labour leader "if Jeremy was to have a stroke."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Undecideds criticism of REMAIN still zero so far
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Not to mention at the various selection committees where they chose a particular candidate because they had been assured of their eurosceptic credentials, but who when push comes to shove have both eyes on the greasy pole.''

Indeed. That said, when you let the membership think the MPs should represent them and not the tory VOTERS, you start to get into big trouble. As labour will tell you.

They have a leader and policies the members really like. But not labour voters, and certainly not swing voters.

There may indeed be a political price to pay for such behaviour, which is an important but separate issue. The fact remains that elected representatives should have the integrity to stick with undertakings given, quaint though that view sounds these days.
  • Options
    The Bufton Tuftons are remarkably quiet, are they not? And Conservative MPs who support Leave are remarkably civil, are they not?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good cop, bad cop. When Cameron says to MPs to do what's in their hearts and Osborne asks if they want a future career or to vote Leave they both mean the same thing.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:
    Like something out of Life of Brian.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, but to be fair there's only one REMAIN campaign to criticise.
  • Options
    On topic, us Blues are making sure we don't peak too soon in this parliament.

Off topic, I'm having eye surgery next Wednesday, that with some lifestyle changes, and new meds, should be enough to fix the problem.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

And yet Cameron (and to be fair every other party leader ever) expects them to do what is good for their party, their leader and their careers.

Burke's ideals foundered on the rock of party politics and the power of the whips.
  • Options
    I was undecided til a week ago and I criticise both sides!!
  • Options
    Paging Alastair.

Good old Ken, helpful as ever. John McDonnell will be Labour leader "if Jeremy was to have a stroke."
  • Options
    isam said:

Largely because Leave is monopolising the full-on mental behaviour at the moment. A standard statement of a Burkean view of an MP's duties has got the usual foamers foaming.

Remain is hideously dull. Who wants to talk about a failed businessman when there are raving lunatics to poke fun at?
  • Options
    Mr. Simon, you missed off point 8:

We also want the Moon on a stick. And the Moon must not be white.
  • Options

Off topic, I'm having eye surgery next Wednesday, that with some lifestyle changes, and new meds, should be enough to fix the problem.

Good stuff. Hope the lifestyle changes aren't too drastic.
  • Options

Completely O/T, I know - but I thought that I would share the latest nonsense from the Rhodes Must Fall (Oxford Branch).

Having failed in their campaign to have a statue that no-one ever notice removed, they have now issued a new set of demands. I leave it for others to comment...

First, we want a reckoning. We want Oxford to acknowledge and confront its role in the ongoing physical and ideological violence of empire. This requires an apology and increased scholarships for black students from Southern Africa.

Second, we want a commitment to recontextualizing iconography celebrating figures of grave injustice. Murderous colonists and slaveholders belong in books and museums, not on the sides of buildings. This requires the removal and rehousing of statues and portraits, and the renaming of buildings.

Third, we want a decolonized curriculum. We want to hear the voices suffocated into silence by a Eurocentric academy. We want to study different systems of knowledge and explore the work of people who deviate from the white Western canon that we are forcefed.

Fourth, we want representation for people of colour at all levels of the university. This requires, amongst other things, blind marked applications and implicit bias training for all academic staff.

Fifth, we want an immediate end to the outright racism people of colour face on campus. We want effective recourse for students, academics and non-academic staff to deal with racist discrimination and harassment. This requires race workshops for all incoming student cohorts. This requires an effective system for students and staff to report incidents of racism, which acknowledges the intersectional way that oppression based on racism interacts with oppression based on class, gender disability, and other grounds.

Sixth, we want the University to take responsibility for the culture it perpetuates. We want the work of anti-racist students and staff to be recognised and institutionalised. This requires payment for our labour. This requires a specific sabbatical position for Race at the Oxford University Students Union and paid Tutor for Race positions at both college and university level.

Seventh, we want the University and all related bodies to cease smear campaigns, and private intimidation, of our movement and our members.

That's ridiculous: colonize with a "z".
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited February 2016

I'm a bit concerned that clearer eyesight will prevent you peaking too soon.

More seriously, best wishes TSE.
  • Options
    Aaron Banks needs to (figuratively) be taken outside and shot.

Vote Leave are absolutely doing the right thing in refusing to rise to it. I just hope Vote Leave can sort itself out now the Board has changed.

They shouldn't bother to speak to Leave.EU again until and unless Banks goes. Just respectively do their own thing.
  • Options

Paging Alastair.

Good old Ken.

Perhaps he could say a nice word about my next tip for next Labour leader too.
  • Options
    Where is Osborne threatening people?? Link???
  • Options

Excellent fantastic to hear.

Lifestyle changes: AV thread to be shelved forever? That's harsh.
  • Options

Less stressing, less staring at screens.
  • Options

Great news TSE. Wish you well for your op and for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2016

Sorry to hear of your bad news TSE – hope all goes well with the operation & the best of luck.
  • Options

Paging Alastair.

Good old Ken.

Perhaps he could say a nice word about my next tip for next Labour leader too.
    That'll be going up on Sunday. Skybet let me have as much as you.
  • Options
    Wish you well for your op and for a speedy recovery.

Seconded!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that's good news. Obviously I hope you aren't absent from the site too much. Perhaps the optimal compromise is for your lady wife to read you the posts, and type your own dictated responses? :p

Mr. Royale, quite. Banks has more money than sense.
  • Options

Less AV, less trolling, more Leave.
  • Options

isam said:

Largely because Leave is monopolising the full-on mental behaviour at the moment. A standard statement of a Burkean view of an MP's duties has got the usual foamers foaming.

Remain is hideously dull. Who wants to talk about a failed businessman when there are raving lunatics to poke fun at?
    When I don't have an opinion either way I normally cant be bothered to waste my time criticizing either side
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'When we discussed it last year, your position was that Dave would go to the EU, achieve nothing and then lie about it'

Yes I'm afraid Richard T has indeed been proved entirely correct.

What made it clear to me that Cameron was going to welch was the issue of the opt out on justice and home affairs powers.

There was a cast-iron opportunity for the government to reverse European integration, but the government instead opted back into many of the most important measures including the wretched Arrest Warrant.

Far from reclaiming powers from Brussels, the government agreed to a significant and permanent transfer of them. Note this showed up the 'referendum lock' as worthless as well.
  • Options
    Mr. Runnymede, I'd forgotten about the referendum lock.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016
    Chuka Umunna in June 2015:
    "Screaming “you’re wrong” at the electorate is not a good strategy for a party seeking to win back its trust."
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/29/labour-tory-lite-economic-credibility-leadership

Chuka Umunna in February 2016:
    "Why you’re wrong to think immigration is the main issue in the EU referendum"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-you-re-wrong-to-think-immigration-is-the-main-issue-in-the-eu-referendum-a6853821.html
  • Options
    I'm confused about the deal Cameron signs. Is it legally binding or not?? If not why is Schultz saying it can be amended by European Parliament??
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

All the best. Hope it goes well.
  • Options

isam said:

I think your reaction to the former is colouring your perception of the latter.

Put simply: you're just not that naive.
  • Options

Vote Leave are absolutely doing the right thing in refusing to rise to it. I just hope Vote Leave can sort itself out now the Board has changed.

They shouldn't bother to speak to Leave.EU again until and unless Banks goes. Just respectively do their own thing.

It's not just Banks is it?? Clearly VoteLeave and LabourLeave have fallen out too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    edited February 2016
    TOPPING said:

Richard I must apologise.

When we discussed it last year, your position was that Dave would go to the EU, achieve nothing and then lie about it. Mine was that he would go there, achieve whatever he was able, and then let the press dissect it.

We were both right but that's not to say he didn't, and isn't trying to lie about it.

I am super-disappointed and began to type out yesterday something along the lines of "who asked for a renegotiation anyway?" a la @DavidL but ennui probably engulfed me before I was able to press send.

...pauses to listen to Julian Assange on the streets...

I still have questions as to whether we are better off being presented with regulations on this that or the other, and how much influence we would have if we were not at the table (thinking of eg. financial services here).

But I am definitely edging towards Out.

No apology necessary. As you say we were both kind of right. If anything I am disappointed that Cameron has proved me right but has been so inept about it. As I said I had hoped Leave would win but Cameron stay on. I don't think that is possible now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    On MPs.

MPs are not there to act for their heart, or their party, or their 'own' voters. They are there to act for their constituents .
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'When we discussed it last year, your position was that Dave would go to the EU, achieve nothing and then lie about it'

Yes I'm afraid Richard T has indeed been proved entirely correct.

What made it clear to me that Cameron was going to welch was the issue of the opt out on justice and home affairs powers.

There was a cast-iron opportunity for the government to reverse European integration, but the government instead opted back into many of the most important measures including the wretched Arrest Warrant.

Far from reclaiming powers from Brussels, the government agreed to a significant and permanent transfer of them. Note this showed up the 'referendum lock' as worthless as well.

And as @DavidL says it was probably unnecessary. Actually the reason I didn't post that yesterday is, now that I think about it, that he would have taken even less of his party with him if he hadn't promised to renegotiate.

So he really was between a rock and a hard place: don't negotiate because the public aren't clamouring for it and it won't make much difference to them, but face hell in his own party; or do negotiate and fail miserably. And then dissemble (to be polite about it).
  • Options

It's not just Banks is it?? Clearly VoteLeave and LabourLeave have fallen out too.
    There is that. But I think Vote Leave are starting to realise they need to get a grip and making changes.

It might be too late for Labour Leave though. Someone needs to apologise and charm the hell out of Kate Hooey.

It's amazing the number of people who work in politics who totally lack people skills.
  • Options
    Sighs

Foreign criminals can’t be deported, European court rules http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4683265.ece
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    'We want to study different systems of knowledge and explore the work of people who deviate from the white Western canon that we are forcefed.'

Try the Jean-Bedel Bokassa University...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Sighs

Foreign criminals can’t be deported, European court rules http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4683265.ece

Yeh, another Cameron win-win. ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

".......Off!" insert the word of your choice.
  • Options
    Looks to me like both sides are trying their damndest to lose the referendum.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    taffys said:

Someone on another forum said

Most of the big Tory names with ambitions of eventual party leadership are facing the same problem they've been facing for a long time now, the dilemma of making sure that the stay side wins while placing themselves on the leave side for the sake of appearances to their base.

which sums up the situation well I think
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

So a total life rethink then! All the best for it.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

You're a clever chap, you can do better than play obtuse. We know you love the EU, but we've already had Roger trolling the board with his pretendy backward England.

The argument is that Cameron told MPs to ignore their constituency associations. That, unsurprisingly, has incensed some of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Sighs

Another corker... they just keep coming today

David Cameron's child benefit plan 'won't apply to EU nationals already in the UK'
    But legal and policy experts, as well as a senior British Government source, have admitted it would be "very difficult" to force those who are already here to take a dramatic cut in the benefits they receive even after the EU renegotiation.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12141305/David-Camerons-child-benefit-plan-wont-apply-to-EU-nationals-already-in-the-UK.html
    So it's okay for the government to dramatically change the level of benefit or tax for various people currently in the country, but apparently not those people who are sending money out the country. This is a crazy f*cked up world1
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

'We want to study different systems of knowledge and explore the work of people who deviate from the white Western canon that we are forcefed.'

It does beg the question, why go to study at Oxford University, if you hate the place so much? There are plenty of students who'd be only too happy to go there to study in your place.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: In an utterly shocking development Ukip have thrown their weight behind their largest donor's latest front group.

Whats that? Grassroots Out?

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_supports_grassroots_out
  • Options

Wow. The entitlement. The narcissism. The arrogance. The sheer bloody nerve.

I want.. I want.. I want..

(1) We want to never pay tuition fees
    (2) We want you to wipe the history of Oxford clean
    (3) We want to write our own degree courses
    (4) We want positive discrimination (hint hint)
    (5) We want identity politics writ large in everything
    (6) We want more money and special treatment
    (7) We are right, and we don't want to be criticised or opposed
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Eagles - you may be aware (was posted a couple of years ago) I have severe myopia that has essentially stretched my retina leading to blindspots - Myopic Macular Degeneration. The severe short sight caused by years of too much screen time. The eye finds it hard to keep adjusting from far to near and this drives myopia. In my own case a revelation was to get my contact lenses perfect for distance but additionally to wear +1.0 or +1.5 reading specs when on screen. My prescription hasn't changed for 4 years now and blind spots seem reasonably stable. Wearing the reading specs on top of lenses made all the difference and my eyes are a lot less tired than they were. Not sure exactly what your eye issue is but I'd recommend the 'lenses plus specs' approach to anyone with short sight.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Get well soon.
  • Options

"I want" doesn't get.
  • Options
    Nitwittery like this make me want to bring back National Service for a select group.

• Options

Fifth, we want an immediate end to the outright racism people of colour face on campus.

In my day we never said "want". It was always "demand" and usually "demand, as of right".

• Options

Rhodes Must Fall in Oxford’s “manifesto”: [snip]

The world is beset with ungrateful little turds with chips on their shoulder. #ignore
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RodCrosby said:

It does beg the question, why go to study at Oxford University, if you hate the place so much? There are plenty of students who'd be only too happy to go there to study in your place.
    Stockholm syndrome: he can't resist coming home to his imperial masters for another beating but hates himself for it.
  • Options

And they will fail in this as they did with the statue nonsense.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RodCrosby said:

The entitlement is quite astounding.

They are fighting a battle they will not win.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited February 2016
    welshowl said:

Get well soon.
    What is wrong with TSE's health? Just to cheer him up I had double cataracts removed and new lenses put in both eyes a over a year ago now and I can now see miles.
  • Options
    A couple of days ago Paddy Power were offering 5/2 against LEAVE, now they go 15/8 following YouGov's poll showing the Brexit supporters comfortably ahead - that's a 25% reduction in their odds. As I suggested at the time, this looked like a trading opportunity, at least. Expect the LEAVE odds to narrow further should there be other polls painting a similar picture.
  • Options

Fifth, we want an immediate end to the outright racism people of colour face on campus.

In my day we never said "want". It was always "demand" and usually "demand, as of right".

and NOW!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

First,

"I want" doesn't get.
    Last night on This Week there was a black bloke who went to Oxford on the demand that Rhodes must fall etc, and he repeated the lie from Cameron (swallowed hook line and sinker on here) that young black men are more likely to be in prison than at University among other things

When Andrew Neil pointed out that the % of BAME at University mirrored or bettered the % of BAME in the population, he started saying "its not something that can be measured by statistics..."

Yes it is
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Roger said:

As I understand it the rape allegation refers to an offense that wouldn't be considered an offence in the UK (the non use of a condom). The reason he doesn't want to go to Sweden to contest it is because he believes there's a very real chance he'll be extradited from Sweden to the US where they DO want to charge him with publishing Wikileaks.

Unless my facts are wrong (wouldn't be the first time) this has nothing to do with avoiding facing rape charges but avoiding a lifetime in jail for publishing the truth

I've been through this before and you are wrong.

1. Under the European Arrest Warrant, the fact that it may not be an offence in the UK is irrelevant.
    2. He has not been charged by the Swedes. But they do want to question him. He is avoiding answering questions.
    3. There is no extradition request by the US to either the UK or Sweden with regard to Assange.
    4. Under the UK/US extradition treaty it would be easier for the US to extradite him from the UK than from Sweden.
    5. The extradition issue is in any case irrelevant. It is simply being used by Assange and his supporters as a way of diverting attention from the fact that he has, for no good reason, refused to answer the Swedish prosecutor's questions and skipped bail.

Assange likes to play the martyr and the victim. But for someone who claims to be bringing the high and mighty down to earth and making them subject to the law, he is remarkably keen on the laws of the countries in which he operates not applying to him.

He is a hypocrite, an egomaniac and a fantasist, IMO.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    MikeK said:

welshowl said:

Get well soon.
    What is wrong with TSE's health. Just to cheer him up I had double cataracts removed and new lenses put in both eyes a over a year ago now and I can now see miles.
    A man walks into an opticians.
    "I can't see very far," he complains.
    The optician takes him to the window and points upwards. "What's that out there?"
    "The sun?"
    "Well how far do you want to see?"
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RodCrosby said:

The entitlement is quite astounding.

They are fighting a battle they will not win.
    It gives an insight into how ordinary people must have felt when confronted with the demands of young nobility in previous centuries.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

First,

"I want" doesn't get.
    Last night on This Week there was a black bloke who went to Oxford on the demand that Rhodes must fall etc, and he repeated the lie from Cameron (swallowed hook line and sinker on here) that young black men are more likely to be in prison than at University among other things

When Andrew Neil pointed out that the % of BAME at University mirrored or bettered the % of BAME in the population, he started saying "its not something that can be measured by statistics..."

Yes it is
    I bl00dy love Andrew Neil.

But unlike you, Sam, to use the lefty-liberal jargon "BAME"...
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, he was arguing numeracy is an evil imperialist plot? :p
  • Options

When going through my tax return I could subscribe to that.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So just to summarise where we are at the moment;

We will stop child benefits being sent out the country has become we will pay a bit less child benefit to children outside the country, unless their parent is already in the UK in which case we cant.

We will set up a Constitutional Court that will have supremacy of the EU court, except those powers will be in theory only, and known to be such, because doing otherwise would be a violation of treaty commitments.

We will be able to deport foreign criminals that come to the UK from the EU
    , except we wont be able to really because its against the treaties.

We will have a Red Card on new EU laws, except to be able to make it happen we have to ask 16 other countries, some of whom must have voted for the original measure in the first place, and all must agree within 8 weeks by substantive motion of their legislature to reject the new measure.

We will have a four year block on benefits to migrants, or actually only if we pull our "emergency brake" or rather ask Brussels if we can pull our emergency brake and they agree, and then it doesn't stop benefits but allows them to ramp up to full over four years.

Have I missed anything ?
  • Options
    I do get the need for acknowledgment of colonial abuses, but does anyone really believe South Africans would be more educated if colonialism hadn't of happenned??
  • Options

Learning maths is probably Eurocentric, or something.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

We will stop child benefits being sent out the country has become we will pay a bit less child benefit to children outside the country, unless their parent is already in the UK in which case we cant.

We will set up a Constitutional Court that will have supremacy of the EU court, except those powers will be in theory only, and known to be such, because doing otherwise would be a violation of treaty commitments.

We will have a Red Card on new EU laws, except to be able to make it happen we have to ask 16 other countries, some of whom must have voted for the original measure in the first place.

We will have a four year block on benefits to migrants, or actually only if we pull our "emergency brake" or rather ask Brussels if we can pull our emergency brake and they agree, and then it doesn't stop benefits but allows them to ramp up to full over four years.

Have I missed anything ?

Yes. It can all be changed by the European Parliament after the referendum.
  • Options
    He'd do far more good by demanding that Mugabe fall.

He's far worse than Rhodes.
  • Options

Indigo said:

We will have a Red Card on new EU laws, except to be able to make it happen we have to ask 16 other countries, some of whom must have voted for the original measure in the first place.

Have I missed anything ?

Yes. It can all be changed by the European Parliament after the referendum.
    Or struck down by the ECJ, quite.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Charles said:

Roger said:

Sweden, I believe, guaranteed not to extradite him to the US.

But frankly that doesn't matter.

The alleged victim of the crime deserves her day in court. Regardless of the potential risks for Assange.
    Sweden did not guarantee not to extradite him to the US.
    Indeed - Assange offered to go to Sweden if the authorities agreed not to transfer him to the United States, however, Swedish officials claimed that no such pledge could be made under the country’s legal system.
    Let's get real. If you are being questioned about serious allegations you do not get to make demands of the authorities greater than the protections which the law gives you. The law is equal for all. What Assange wants is some special treatment for him because he believes he is special. The fact that he is behaving like a 4 year old with a permanent tantrum should not surprise us. The fact that a lot of seemingly intelligent people have fallen for this transparent guff should.

• Options
    Actually I agree on one of his points: "blind marked applications"

Because you can get racial discrimination when this doesn't take place:

See here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2011-12-03/asian-students-college-applications/51620236/1
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Roger said:

If he broke the law in order to obtain the material he published, then he is answerable for that. Just because he believes he is some sort of crusader, that does not put him above the law.

I am quite frankly fed up of his posturing. He is no saint. He knows he has broken laws and instead of fighting his case in court, he is hiding out playing the victim.
    He was absolutely right to publish the information he had. We need more people willing to do so not less.
    And he should be willing to stand up and be proud of what he did.

I think he was wrong to do so, but to skulk in the shadows undermines any values that he claims to represent. Especially as he has allegedly broken the law in Sweden and definitely broken the law in the UK (as a bail jumper)
    Not at all. He's indeed willing to stand up and be proud of it. He is not willing to go to jail or worse for something he feels should not be a crime in the first place.

Of course that is separate from the sex crime allegations for which he should be treated like everyone else.
    So stand up in court.

He's just avoiding the discussion. If you want to be a martyr, be a f**king martyr.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited February 2016
    Totally offtopic in case anyone hasn't seen this corker of a story yet..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35496480
  • Options
    Also, there ain't such a thing as 'ideological violence'. All violence is physical. Thats what violence is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Learning maths is probably Eurocentric, or something.
    Mathematics was invented by Arabians/Persians. To say otherwise is racist and I demand The Queen denounces your racism.
  • Options
    The Poles seem to be on board for David Cameron:

http://on.ft.com/1Ra3onK
This discussion has been closed.