Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The key EURef: Whether Cameron can secure a deal that’s sal

124»

Comments

• Options

Absolutely. Europe will be finished very soon. I am now planning to emigrate to Canada, Australia or NZ, and I suggest others do the same, otherwise you'll end up in "white reserves" in what used to be your own country.

If it's important to you to be surrounded by white people (an oddly focused ambition but to each his own), you'll be a bit stuck in a couple of decades if not sooner. Intermingling is happening everywhere, and accelerating, legally or illegally and at varying speeds, but IMO unstoppable. Trump's wall, Europe's Med patrols and anything else governments think up don't get past the fact that people who speak a bit of English and aren't afraid to travel see a better life elsewhere and do what's necessary to get it. If their home countries are in never-ending wars, that just makes it more compelling.

It will only slow down if the countries of origin start to flourish - that's one reason we aren't seeing billions of Chinese migrants. Which is why well-directed foreign aid is actually a sensible investment for people who worry about these things - it would be a perfectly sensible UKIP policy.
    Is the EU's free movement actually stopping some countries from flourishing? I have no idea, but suspect that the brain drain of younger people from, say, Poland is not helping their home economies. Are there any stats on this kind of thing?
    When you talk to locals in Hungary, they reckon roughly 10% of the population have left for jobs elsewhere (Canada as well as Britain, Germany and Austria). Fear of a brain drain is very real, as evidenced by repayment terms on medical tuition fees should doctors emigrate on qualification.
    An idea the UK should adopt. It is ridiculous that NHS spends 10s of thousands of pounds training a junior doctor for them to leave for Oz at first opportunity.
    I've been able to advise a few young Hungarians considering a medical career to consider applying to Glasgow University. I hope the resident Scots approve.
    How's their tennis?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Now is surely the time to arrange a PB poll, if the Smithsonian wallet can take the strain, on whether we should REMAIN or LEAVE the EU. Crucially, there should be a supplementary question, asking whether our opinion has changed over say the past six months and if so in which direction.

I'm in exactly the same selfish position as I was then - if Leave can guarantee that I can continue to live with my EU citizen wife here without any difficulties then I'll vote Leave on sovereignty grounds. If they can't, I'll vote Remain on family grounds.
    I have not seen a single suggestion even from the most hardened Leave supporters that a single EU citizen currently resident in the UK would be asked or forced to move in the event of a Leave result. Indeed if that were the case then even I would be hard pressed to support Leave.
    My concern is that her right to reside with me here is based solely on her EU citizenship and the UK's EU membership. We've looked into geting her UK citizenship, but it's crazily expensive and currently pointless.

If Brexit sees settled EU citizens entitled to at the minimum ILR with at the maximum filling in one form and perhaps taking a government-funded English language test, that would be fine. If not, I'm going to worry that her right to live here could be rescinded.
    I do understand your concerns but as I say I have seen absolutely no indications that anyone already settled here would be threatened and I am sure that the process will be resolved to ensure that remains the case. No serious politician or group whether supporting Remain or Leave could advocate anything else.
    You can blithely say "I am sure". In my position, I can't.
    You could honestly see the Tories deporting EU citizens post-Brexit? Then again some people were convinced the Tories were going to destroy the NHS in 24 hours...
    Deport? No. But not let her back in after going abroad?

I think you're just scaremongering now.
    I'm not scaremongering, I'm scared. At the moment my wife's right of entry to and residence in this country is only because she's an EU citizen and the UK is a member of the EU.
    She'd qualify as a spouse even if no special arrangements are made.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    EPG said:

PB, where Diane Abbott is Britain's most dangerous racist, and black Africans who don't like statues commemorating Cecil Rhodes should just shut up and take it.

Dangerous? Cite please. It's indisputable that she's a racist though.

As for Prince Petulant of Oriel, he made a demand and had it turned down. It was a the textbook definition of a storm in a teacup. I don't go around demanding the UK fill in all the canals which were dug by the vile exploitation of my ancestors.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

MP_SE said:

Now is surely the time to arrange a PB poll, if the Smithsonian wallet can take the strain, on whether we should REMAIN or LEAVE the EU. Crucially, there should be a supplementary question, asking whether our opinion has changed over say the past six months and if so in which direction.

I'm in exactly the same selfish position as I was then - if Leave can guarantee that I can continue to live with my EU citizen wife here without any difficulties then I'll vote Leave on sovereignty grounds. If they can't, I'll vote Remain on family grounds.
    I have not seen a single suggestion even from the most hardened Leave supporters that a single EU citizen currently resident in the UK would be asked or forced to move in the event of a Leave result. Indeed if that were the case then even I would be hard pressed to support Leave.
    My concern is that her right to reside with me here is based solely on her EU citizenship and the UK's EU membership. We've looked into geting her UK citizenship, but it's crazily expensive and currently pointless.

If Brexit sees settled EU citizens entitled to at the minimum ILR with at the maximum filling in one form and perhaps taking a government-funded English language test, that would be fine. If not, I'm going to worry that her right to live here could be rescinded.
    I do understand your concerns but as I say I have seen absolutely no indications that anyone already settled here would be threatened and I am sure that the process will be resolved to ensure that remains the case. No serious politician or group whether supporting Remain or Leave could advocate anything else.
    You could honestly see the Tories deporting EU citizens post-Brexit? Then again some people were convinced the Tories were going to destroy the NHS in 24 hours...

I'm not scaremongering, I'm scared. At the moment my wife's right of entry to and residence in this country is only because she's an EU citizen and the UK is a member of the EU.
    To just come in with a passport, without having to jump through any bureaucratic hoops?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2016

You may be right - can everything be as bad as this -
    http://www.polishforums.com/uk-ireland/poland-living-england-reality-returning-72472/

But over time a lot of these issues will resolve themselves and they would be with us even in the EEA.
    The issue of muslims and africans is not an issue of EU membership and its pretty nasty of the anti EU crowd to try to attach it to their campaign.

I have a Polish friend whose experience in the UK hasn't been entirely positive. Some poor jobs well below her experience and qualifications, treated poorly etc. But when I ask her if she is thinking of going back home, all the above is still in her option better than Poland e.g. her equivalent shifts / pay were far worse.

The only thing that might take her back is that her long term boyfriend is still in Poland and he won't come to the UK (he is a knobhead and shall we say rather racist about the number of non-whites in the UK). If her boyfriend would move, there wouldn't even be a minimal chance of her going back.
    A lot of my Polish friends went back. But the ones who haven't, have now been here for about ten years and feel more at home here than in Poland (which feels like an increasingly foreign country to them). Indeed, the fact that Polish society is less liberal/tolerant is one of the factors that would now make it feel quite suffocating to go back to.

Still, this is mere anecdata - I'd love to see what the detailed stats on Polish migration look like. There's a certain degree of the same people popping back and forth, on a contractual basis, which might exaggerate both inflows and outflows.
    I think you have a point about the 'tolerant' business. But even there overtime things will change. There is a campaign/policy/programme isn't there to encourage former emigrants to return?
    There is (it's called ""Powroty"), but it hasn't been particularly successful. For a picture of quite how unsucessful, consider this from Sep 2015:

Polish President Andrzej Duda, on a visit to the UK on Monday said he does not seek to encourage Poles to return to their country because, in his words, the economic situation is “still unfavourable.” - thenews.pl

So that's going well then.

See also this Telegraph piece.
  • Options
    John_M said:

EPG said:

PB, where Diane Abbott is Britain's most dangerous racist, and black Africans who don't like statues commemorating Cecil Rhodes should just shut up and take it.

Many would dispute it, e.g. http://www.pambazuka.net/en/category.php/features/95744
  • Options

To just come in with a passport, without having to jump through any bureaucratic hoops?

If she was just visiting you for short periods then there'd be no hoops. If she wanted to reside here there would be hoops. But maybe I misunderstood. Thiught you were genuinely worried about not being able to be with your wife, rather than just about convenience.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited January 2016

On the issue of immigration Ethiopia now has well over 50 million people under the age of 25:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopia#Demographics

and Nigeria about 100 million:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria#Demographics

Those 'ten million migrants coming our way' links that SeanT posts might turn out to be an underestimate.

Absolutely. Europe will be finished very soon. I am now planning to emigrate to Canada, Australia or NZ, and I suggest others do the same, otherwise you'll end up in "white reserves" in what used to be your own country.
    You'd disagree then with certain contributors on here about the cowardice & selfishness of middle eastern migrants not willing to stay and fight Daesh in their own country?
    What are you suggesting I do? Join in/start violent opposition? Er, no, I'll do my best to voice my concerns in peaceful means, and take action via the ballot box (I'm actually a Conservative, not UKIP, btw) but it appears our governments do not seem to be listening (some worse that others - Germany/Sweden on one end of the scale, Britain in the middle, some E European countries on the other). I am fearful for my long-term future (25+ years from now) and can't see the trajectory changing, hence why shouldn't I plan ahead?

Going back to your question, I can actually understand why many would chose to depart rather than fight, especially in a war that is so complex and with no clear outcome or reason to fight for any particular side.

Of course, many of the migrants now coming to Europe are not fleeing any war - since the borders have been opened, we are seeing the inevitable economic migration, which of course consists largely of young men.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

John_M said:

EPG said:

Many would dispute it, e.g. http://www.pambazuka.net/en/category.php/features/95744
    That doesn't dispute it - simply because it is so badly argued. There is nothing in there that acts as any argument for the proposition that only white people can be racist.

All it is is a feeble attempt to redefine the word racist so that it doesn't apply to him.

Trying to change the meaning of a word does not constitute a valid argument
  • Options

If she was just visiting you for short periods then there'd be no hoops. If she wanted to reside here there would be hoops. But maybe I misunderstood. Thiught you were genuinely worried about not being able to be with your wife, rather than just about convenience.
    I'm worried about her losing her automatic right to live here with me.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2016
    Two interesting and quite balanced stories on the BBC about migration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35385232 does acknowledge that a lot of the Afghans in "The Jungle" are not actually fleeing imminent danger, but are hoping to make a better life for themselves, and explains why they want to come to Britain rather than France.

A nice touch is those nice snug warm blankets donated by very thoughtful do-gooders in the UK, packed with such care, circulating in the Somali-led black market in the camp, which gives the story a ring of authenticity. (I seem to recall reading that something similar happens with most disasters in which clothing gets donated - for a lot of the recipients it's more valuable as something to sell on - but I don't can't recall a source for that and I'm not quite sure how true it is. Anyone know?)

Why does Sweden have more boys than girls? has some proper data - graphs and all! - showing why figures for "16 and 17 year old" Afghan migrants should be treated, at best, with caution.

I know of cases in London where Afghan lads really in their twenties ended up getting a secondary school place on the back of their age claims. When there are so many special advantages to claiming to be below 18 (can't be deported even if your application fails, getting a host family rather than having to survive on your own, and in Sweden an automatic right for your family to come join you) it's a small wonder anyone tells the truth.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited January 2016
    OT

@thinkdefence UK government about to destroy last Cross-Channel hovercraft giving only 24 hours notice! https://t.co/xjSSKkjsJu

Save 'The Princess Anne' the last remaining cross channel Hovercraft, about to be broken up for scrap https://t.co/1H4hMMLCpr via @UKChange
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited January 2016

On the issue of immigration Ethiopia now has well over 50 million people under the age of 25:

Those 'ten million migrants coming our way' links that SeanT posts might turn out to be an underestimate.

You'd disagree then with certain contributors on here about the cowardice & selfishness of middle eastern migrants not willing to stay and fight Daesh in their own country?
    What are you suggesting I do? Join in/start violent opposition? Er, no, I'll do my best to voice my concerns in peaceful means, and take action via the ballot box (I'm actually a Conservative, not UKIP, btw) but it appears our governments do not seem to be listening (some worse that others - Germany/Sweden on one end of the scale, Britain in the middle, some E European countries on the other). I am fearful for my long-term future (25+ years from now) and can't see the trajectory changing, hence why shouldn't I plan ahead?
    Scotland could be a good place for your relocation. It's seldom the destination of choice for third world migrants.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited January 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35385232 does acknowledge that a lot of the Afghans in "The Jungle" are not actually fleeing imminent danger, but are hoping to make a better life for themselves, and explains why they want to come to Britain rather than France.

A nice touch is those nice snug warm blankets donated by very thoughtful do-gooders in the UK, packed with such care, circulating in the Somali-led black market in the camp, which gives the story a ring of authenticity. (I seem to recall reading that something similar happens with most disasters in which clothing gets donated - for a lot of the recipients it's more valuable as something to sell on - but I don't can't recall a source for that and I'm not quite sure how true it is. Anyone know?)

Why does Sweden have more boys than girls? has some proper data - graphs and all! - showing why figures for "16 and 17 year old" Afghan migrants should be treated, at best, with caution.

I know of cases in London where Afghan lads really in their twenties ended up getting a secondary school place on the back of their age claims. When there are so many special advantages to claiming to be below 18 (can't be deported even if your application fails, getting a host family rather than having to survive on your own, and in Sweden an automatic right for your family to come join you) it's a small wonder anyone tells the truth.

It is also incredibly difficult to actually find somebodies age. Even with all the medical advances etc, AFAIK there is not a definite test that can be run on somebody to find out their age.

A few years ago, there was a case of a gang of Nigerians immigrants that were up for a wide range of very serious crimes and they all claimed to be minors. Their lawyers argued against any sort of testing, medical or otherwise, to try and prove their age.

I believe in the end the judge allowed some medical testing, but they still couldn't say with 100% certainty if they were or not, but the judge ruled that it was most probable that they were not and sentenced them as adults.

We also know this goes on with the footballers. A players "African age" is a weird sort of in joke in the football world.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited January 2016

Completely missing my point, but that was to be expected. I'm not after living with just other white people - that's a typical assertion made against people like myself who are concerned with immigration and the lack of integration. In fact I mentioned "white reserves" in a negative way, but somehow you've twisted it round to mean that's what I want..?

I want to live in a civilized Europe. At the moment that civilization is being eroded.

I couldn't care less about the ethnicity or skin colour or whatever of people - it's culture and politics etc that matter. Hence my concern about lack of integration.

Why does it result every time when someone raises concern about immigration/integration of immigrants that it's about race? It's immensely troubling - and a factor in why we are facing the mess today. We can't discuss the matter without it spiraling into this sort of thing.

Well, no offence but you were the one who raised colour as an issue, even if you meant it negatively. Britain seems pretty civilised to me, and more so (less figuratively insular and full of pointless prejudices) than 20 years ago. I think you're too gloomy about it.
    Is what happened in Rotherham civilised? Or the political goings-on in Tower Hamlets?

The country now clearly has areas that are becoming ghetto-ised. The wider country outwith these areas is probably better than 20 years ago, but we should judge the country as a whole - taking into account the areas where there is little or no integration. Otherwise we just sit in the shires, the leafy suburbs, or a prosperous city like Bath, looking around us and slapping ourselves on the back, ignoring the (growing) problem areas that are as much part of the country as our own back yards.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Aren't x-rays good for this purpose re bone plates?

It is also incredibly difficult to actually find somebodies age. Even with all the medical advances etc, AFAIK there is not a definite test that can be run on somebody to find out there age.

A few years ago, there was a case of a gang of Nigerians immigrants that were up for a wide range of very serious crimes and they all claimed to be minors. Their lawyers argued against any sort of testing, medical or otherwise, to try and prove their age. I believe in the end the judge allowed it, but they still couldn't say with 100% certainty if they were or not, but the judge ruled that it was most probable that they were not and sentenced them as adults.
  • Options

Aren't x-rays good for this purpose re bone plates?

It is also incredibly difficult to actually find somebodies age. Even with all the medical advances etc, AFAIK there is not a definite test that can be run on somebody to find out there age.

A few years ago, there was a case of a gang of Nigerians immigrants that were up for a wide range of very serious crimes and they all claimed to be minors. Their lawyers argued against any sort of testing, medical or otherwise, to try and prove their age. I believe in the end the judge allowed it, but they still couldn't say with 100% certainty if they were or not, but the judge ruled that it was most probable that they were not and sentenced them as adults.
    Short answer no.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428644-300-with-no-paper-trail-can-science-determine-age/
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

She won't. See my post below.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    EPG said:

Yes. She is and they should.
  • Options

Scotland could be a good place for your relocation. It's seldom the destination of choice for third world migrants.
    I'm sure an SNP government of an 'independent' Scotland (that is a member of the EU) would be clamouring to meet their quotas...

It is interesting though how the SNP are so pro-immigration - it's a lot easier to be so when your country (Scotland) attracts so few immigrants in the first place.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Your post assumes EEA membership being maintained, as I understand it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited January 2016

OT

@thinkdefence UK government about to destroy last Cross-Channel hovercraft giving only 24 hours notice! https://t.co/xjSSKkjsJu

Save 'The Princess Anne' the last remaining cross channel Hovercraft, about to be broken up for scrap https://t.co/1H4hMMLCpr via @UKChange

Ooh. Thanks, have signed. I remember going on that as an inquisitive young boy on a day trip to France, got me interested in building (a smaller) one and I very nearly did a few years later! :smiley:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    For all those Jess Phillips fans an interesting article I read a few weeks ago. "Why I won't shut up about misogyny and the left". Her issues seem to centre round George Galloway's friendship with member's of Corbyn's inner circle while holding views as 'repellent' as believing it's acceptable to have sex with someone while they're asleep........

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/07/misogyny-feminism-stop-the-war-jeremy-corbyn
  • Options

I'm sure an SNP government of an 'independent' Scotland (that is a member of the EU) would be clamouring to meet their quotas...

It is interesting though how the SNP are so pro-immigration - it's a lot easier to be so when your country (Scotland) attracts so few immigrants in the first place.
    On the perhaps erroneous understanding that you are actually Cornish, foreign born population in Scotland (2011 census) 369,284 - c.7%, foreign born population in Cornwall (2011 census) 23,584 - c.4.4%.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

On the perhaps erroneous understanding that you are actually Cornish, foreign born population in Scotland (2011 census) 369,284 - c.7%, foreign born population in Cornwall (2011 census) 23,584 - c.4.4%.
    Whose definition of foreign born are we using here? Some of the Cornish people I have met in my time regard anyone born to the East of the Tamar as foreign.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Roger said:

For all those Jess Phillips fans an interesting article I read a few weeks ago. "Why I won't shut up about misogyny and the left". Her issues seem to centre round George Galloway's friendship with member's of Corbyn's inner circle while holding views as 'repellent' as believing it's acceptable to have sex with someone while they're asleep........

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/07/misogyny-feminism-stop-the-war-jeremy-corbyn

Just further evidence of the lack of clarity in her thinking and her very blinkered world view. If you believe that misogny is everywhere, you will keep finding it. But she is incapable of having an open mind.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited January 2016

Whose definition of foreign born are we using here? Some of the Cornish people I have met in my time regard anyone born to the East of the Tamar as foreign.
    I worked in the South West for a while, and people from the next town were viewed with suspicion, let alone somebody from outside a 20 mile radius....bloody grockles...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

MP_SE said:

Your post assumes EEA membership being maintained, as I understand it.
    The chance of you being hit by a bus in the next year is about a billion times higher than your wife being deported if we leave the EU.
  • Options
    Turkey says Russia violated airspace

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35449152
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,560
    edited January 2016
    @justin124

I was perfectly aware of those figures, thank you. My reference was to the fact that Labour had for the first time since 1983, suffered a net loss of seats while in opposition. If you don't regard that as a disappointing result then I suggest you reassess your targets.

As for your suggestion that Labour is better placed than the Tories were in 2002, I must confess to blank astonishment that you would think that a useful comparison because 1) the Tories subsequently suffered a third devastating defeat with minimal increase in vote share and 2) the Tories have an eject mechanism to rid themselves of hopeless leaders - Labour do not.

At the moment Labour are on course for their most catastrophic defeat since 1959, possibly 1931, and merely splitting hairs about what constitutes a 'worse' defeat is reminiscent of Romans debating the concept of the Trinity as Rome collapsed about them in Gibbons' famous (if usually inaccurate) polemics on the subject.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

3 quidder I guess your wife would have as much right to a family life as the four we have recently plucked from Calais

This is the right to a family life protected under ECHR ?

The same ECHR where the legislation which it is implemented by is being repealed?

If we leave we leave. I don't see why we should be making all these exemptions. Isn't the point to free up jobs for Brits, stop paying benefits to non-Brits and curb immigration?

Exceptions will undermine that. I'm sure Three Quidder can live with his spouse in his/her country of origin.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited January 2016

Well, that of the census, which I accept may be seen as a ghastly imposition upon freeborn Dumnonii by the Saxon hegemony.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Dair I am sure 3 Quidder and his wife can live in connubial bliss for as long as they wish in the UK..but he is having some trembles about it...
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Sandpit said:

OT

Ooh. Thanks, have signed. I remember going on that as an inquisitive young boy on a day trip to France, got me interested in building (a smaller) one and I very nearly did a few years later! :smiley:
    There are other such craft in museums aren't there? Including the similar Princess Margaret.
    I always thought it a bit odd to have hovercraft with wind blown up their skirts named after princesses.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

MP_SE said:

Probably - but the whole tone of Leave is anti people who are here
This discussion has been closed.