Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Labour wasn’t so obsessed with fighting itself it would

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,220

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

John McDonnell did go last night, but he turned up late.

How come Heidi Alexander, shadow Health Secretary, isn't doing her job?

John McDonnell did have time yesterday to pose with his various Cage friends for a picture outside the US embassy.
    Yes, you can see the priorities.
    Cage are an utterly pernicious organisation. The fact that the sainted Babar Ahmed is palling around with them should make those who canonised him on his return from Guantanamo pause for thought about whether he's quite the naive fool innocently caught up with terrorists that he made himself out to be. Same for Moazzem Begg and the rest of them.

If it is unacceptable for the likes of EDL to be going to universities and encouraging students not to comply with the law then so much more for Cage, which is doing exactly that. What the hell are universities doing letting this happen? Don't their precious Codes of Conduct about anti-racism and pro-feminism and pro-gays and the rest of it actually mean anything?

I went to one of the only (if not the only) Russell Group universities to then annually oppose and not implement the NUS No Platform policy. The University of Nottingham actually had a Free Speech policy which I was quite proud of instead. After I left the uni was going to host Nick Griffin I believe in a debate but it got cancelled not due to policy but the costs the Police would have charged for security reasons.

If the other universities want to apply a No Platform policy it should be consistent.
    The bit about security costs interests me, who were the police protecting? I'm no fan of Griffin, though I must admit like the vast majority of people I know little about him, but I don't see how he's a security risk, as far as I know he's not a criminal.

I lived on the Isle of Dogs a little over twenty years ago, and I got caught on a D6 bus around the isle behind a BNP protest (it was at the time Derek ?sp?Beackon got elected onto Tower Hamlets). There were lots of police, both 'guarding' the protest and in cars and vans.

We went up to the top deck of the bus, where we could see there were about six BNP protesters. There must have been four times the number of police. I can't recall seeing any counter-protesters.

Elsewhere on the isle at that time were lots of posters claiming to be from the ANL proclaiming "kill the Nazi scum." I'm not sure whoever designed the posters was entirely sane ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

John McDonnell did have time yesterday to pose with his various Cage friends for a picture outside the US embassy.
    Cage are an utterly pernicious organisation. The fact that the sainted Babar Ahmed is palling around with them should make those who canonised him on his return from Guantanamo pause for thought about whether he's quite the naive fool innocently caught up with terrorists that he made himself out to be. Same for Moazzem Begg and the rest of them.

If it is unacceptable for the likes of EDL to be going to universities and encouraging students not to comply with the law then so much more for Cage, which is doing exactly that. What the hell are universities doing letting this happen? Don't their precious Codes of Conduct about anti-racism and pro-feminism and pro-gays and the rest of it actually mean anything?

I went to one of the only (if not the only) Russell Group universities to then annually oppose and not implement the NUS No Platform policy. The University of Nottingham actually had a Free Speech policy which I was quite proud of instead. After I left the uni was going to host Nick Griffin I believe in a debate but it got cancelled not due to policy but the costs the Police would have charged for security reasons.

If the other universities want to apply a No Platform policy it should be consistent.
    Good on Nottingham for that policy. Universities are where controversial debated are supposed to be held! If they want a 'No Platform' policy then it needs to include Moazzem Begg as well as Nick Griffin.

The beginning of the end for Griffin was his appearance on Question Time - until then he had thrived on being the man that was effectively banned from speaking in public. Free speech should win every time.
    Very true about Griffin. I was in the QT studio audience and witnessed the beginning of the end of the BNP. Those protesting outside TV centre saying he shouldn't be on the panel got it so totally wrong. Also on the panel that night was someone who later ended up in prison...
    Yes, the level of protesting was ridiculous, living in fear of millions of people falling under his sway if only we heard him, or at least such was the implication.

Who went to prison?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Good on Nottingham for that policy. Universities are where controversial debated are supposed to be held! If they want a 'No Platform' policy then it needs to include Moazzem Begg as well as Nick Griffin.

The beginning of the end for Griffin was his appearance on Question Time - until then he had thrived on being the man that was effectively banned from speaking in public. Free speech should win every time.
    Very true about Griffin. I was in the QT studio audience and witnessed the beginning of the end of the BNP. Those protesting outside TV centre saying he shouldn't be on the panel got it so totally wrong. Also on the panel that night was someone who later ended up in prison...
    Yes, the level of protesting was ridiculous, living in fear of millions of people falling under his sway if only we heard him, or at least such was the implication.

Who went to prison?
    Chris Huhne
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Well said. My old housecellar was flooded every winter, but we'd a pump running 24/7 to get rid of the ground water.

My hubbie turned it off once and we had water 4ft deep and rising rapidly within a few hours. Our garden and fields were always under water this time of year. Perils of living at sea level.

The BMA sounds like the name of an organisation that exists to look after our health. Warm and friendly. If they were called the National Union of Doctors the public might view them differently.

Also, the government ought to keep pointing out the typical salary of a Registrar - not a very 'junior' income by any measure.

Off topic - still lots of flooded fields between York and Doncaster. God must have a downer on his* Own Country.

*his or its? not sure how to refer to the non-existent.

• Options
    On topic both sides need to resolve it before the big walkout on the 10th of Feb.

That's when the poop will hit the fan for both sides.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: One for fans of The Jam & The Kinks. From today's WaughZone
    https://t.co/zbanEHQfxb https://t.co/OcDsbkUYbx

@MichaelDugher: @patrickwintour Tough on croissants. Tough on the causes of croissants.
  • Options
    EU-Ref news: Labour Leave launch event to be held on 20th Jan.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Not in a flooded area, but the level of saturation and continual heavy rainfall means I'm unsurprised lots of fields are still submerged. We had more rain last night, and there's nowhere for it to go.
  • Options
    @Herald_Editor: Education analysts claim the national Curriculum for Excellence has lowered attainment and widened social inequality https://t.co/NRHjMyaQhc
  • Options
    :smiley:

OT if you're on Twitter, there's a great nostalgia Newcastle photo account @turnipheadpics

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Who went to prison?
    Chris Huhne
  • Options

She's absolutely crap. She was on Sky News a few months ago and it was dire.

Alexander: The Tories have cut NHS funding and we're going to have a crisis this winter

Tory: The Tories have increased NHS spending, Labour said they wouldn't

Alexander: The Tories want to privatise the NHS

Tory: Most of the NHS privatisation happened under Labour

Alexander: The Tories receive money from hedge funds and they want to see the NHS privatised.
  • Options
    There are reports of an explosion in Istanbul.
  • Options
    Breaking: explosion in Istanbul:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35290760
  • Options
    The BMA has published a summary of the recent negotiations, according to which four significant areas of disagreement remain. Three concern pay, in particular the definition of antisocial hours. The other is about safeguarding measures to ensure adherence to the new hours policy. Is this latter really irresolvable? Or is it just there to anticipate the charge that this is all about money?

The Government has promised that there will be no pay cut for all but one per cent of junior doctors. Some will even see a pay rise. True, many will not get the rise they expected. But that is very different from a cut. And if that is what we are striking about, we need to be upfront about it with a public that has voted to accept austerity.

We have also been assured that the maximum hours we can be required to work will be reduced. Some of us may work longer hours but many will work fewer. And the longest shifts will go. They may not be such congenial hours – there will certainly be more weekends. But those are the same hours that plenty of other professions accept, including nurses.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12093767/Why-this-doctor-wont-be-on-strike-today.html
  • Options
    More oh dear http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6855155/Corbyn-promotes-MP-probed-by-Commons.html
    The Hull MP — now Labour’s chief legal man — failed to declare his wife was a duty criminal solicitor when quizzing the Government on legal reform in November.

Labour said it was “an oversight by Karl”. But Tory MPs went on the attack. Backbencher Luke Hall called the situation “extraordinary”.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Good story. I remember watching it on TV and wishing for a broader discussion, rather than half the programme being about his own appearance on it.

I'm all in favour of letting scumbags speak as long as they are not inciting a riot. As my father once said, it is always better to be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Ah yes, Chris Huhne!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    On topic - this strike's popularity will depend on the media war. Keep the smears/facts about the BMA coming and add in a couple of deaths today and support will drain away.
  • Options

Breaking: explosion in Istanbul:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35290760

TV reporting several dead. :(

There are so many options as to who did this: ISIS, PKK, PKK offshoots, lefty groups (e.g. DHKP-C).

Or, with tinfoil hat on, the government. Although with the above groups all in action, they hardly need to do anything like this.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Good story. I remember watching it on TV and wishing for a broader discussion, rather than half the programme being about his own appearance on it.

I'm all in favour of letting scumbags speak as long as they are not inciting a riot. As my father once said, it is always better to be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Ah yes, Chris Huhne!
    My favourite bit of trivia about the Lib Dems and the coalition.

Every Lib Dem that served in the cabinet either lost their seat or ended up in court (apart from Nick Clegg)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Good for you.
  • Options

The BMA has published a summary of the recent negotiations, according to which four significant areas of disagreement remain. Three concern pay, in particular the definition of antisocial hours. The other is about safeguarding measures to ensure adherence to the new hours policy. Is this latter really irresolvable? Or is it just there to anticipate the charge that this is all about money?

The Government has promised that there will be no pay cut for all but one per cent of junior doctors. Some will even see a pay rise. True, many will not get the rise they expected. But that is very different from a cut. And if that is what we are striking about, we need to be upfront about it with a public that has voted to accept austerity.

We have also been assured that the maximum hours we can be required to work will be reduced. Some of us may work longer hours but many will work fewer. And the longest shifts will go. They may not be such congenial hours – there will certainly be more weekends. But those are the same hours that plenty of other professions accept, including nurses.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12093767/Why-this-doctor-wont-be-on-strike-today.html
    That's a really good article about the dispute. It would be good to hear something equally eloquent from a doctor on the other side.

Also a good info pane at the bottom with details of career progression, salaries and bonuses.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, unsure if it's true, but a few days ago Edrogan reportedly said he wanted to be 'like Hitler'. Bonkers, but then, Ecclestone said he (Hitler) at least knew how to get things done.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    CD13 said:

There are some good points being made on here by the Legal fraternity but I'm afraid, for the British public, there's only one winner between Lawyers and Doctors. The latter can get away with looking after their pay packets as a priority.

Doctors ... hard working, life savers. Lawyers ... ambulance chasers.

But even so, it might be better for the Medical professions not to push this too far. They will win the argument but may begin the erosion of their status.

The Doctors will lose public support should they go ahead with the third strike and withdraw emergency cover. Then the 'patient safety' argument goes out of the window. I wonder if the Government will let them have that rope to hang themselves...
  • Options
    Ed West
    Doctor pay by country according to Forbes. Why isn't the NHS full of Swedish and Norwegian doctors? https://t.co/gIqxy6BddU
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,940
    edited January 2016
    The Lib Dems payed a high price for Jaguar's decision to furnish their ministerial cars-in particular Nick Clegg's-with bottom heaters. Just think what the political landscape would look like today if they hadn't....

The Libs with heads held high would be in the vanguard of opposing a second Tory minority government. They'd be attracting mass defections from Corbyn's Labour; They'd be leading the 'Remain' campaign and all the talk would be about the Lib Dems final push towards government in 2020.......

....Jaguar have a lot to answer for
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2016
    TGOHF said:

On topic - this strike's popularity will depend on the media war. Keep the smears/facts about the BMA coming and add in a couple of deaths today and support will drain away.

BBC – top on-line story – "Patients hit by junior doctors’ strike.

Thousands of patients have treatment postponed as junior doctors in England go on strike"

In the media battle, I make that HMG 1 – BMA 0.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    TOPPING said:

Agree. But. The government isn't saying "look other people are having a pay cut, you must also." It is saying "we are giving you an 11% pay rise" as though that compensates for the change in unsocial hours banding pay. It is being economic with the actualite to say the least.

Also, the fact that other professionals have had to take a pay cut isn't really a compelling argument if you think you might be able to resist it. "Other people are miserable, now it's your turn" is not very persuasive.

But although the public will I think support the doctors whatever happens, I'm not sure how much public opinion matters in these disputes. Occasional disruption can go on for a long time and people treat it like bad weather - a nuisance but just the way things are. That's why the Tube strikes aren't producing huge outrage or pressure on either side - polls show there that people are more against than for the strikes, though it's not overwhelming, but they're infrequent enough not to seem that significant.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

PClipp said:

It´s lucky the Lib Dems are still around to give some criticism of this dreadful government.

Shame there aren´t more Lib Dem MPs.

How does the Labour Party justify the enormous subsidies they get from the state?

There aren't more Lib Dem MPs because they were dreadful in government.
    While that may be true, that's not why they are in the state they are in today. The LibDems have been hammered for two reasons:

1. The Conservative Party under David Cameron has moved to the centre, grabbing a lot of LibDem votes. He's been perfectly happy to lose his own right wing to UKIP, because he sees a better election winning coalition in the centre. And so far, he's been proved right.

2. Once the LibDems went into coalition with the Conservatives, they lost an awful lot of their tactical Labour votes. It will take a long-time before Labour supporters - who saw the LibDems as lapdogs on the Left - forgive, if they ever do.

The best opportunity for the LibDems (or another centrist party) will come if the Conservative Party under whoever follows Cameron decides it wants to compete for the UKIP vote. If Corbyn is still leader of the Labour Party then, it will mean there is a big space in the centre that is up for grabs.
    (1) isn't quite correct and, in fact, (2) isn't either - Cameron did most of his modernising prior to the 2010GE, where the LDs under Clegg got one of their highest votes ever, denying him a majority, and where UKIP were practically nowhere under Lord Rannoch.

The 2015GE manifesto tacitly recognised the threat to the Tory right flank and had offerings in there on defence, the EU referendum, human rights reform and the migration cap - with further measures on EU migration, and tax cuts for higher earners.

The fact that the LDs collapsed at the election, but the UKIP vote did not, was entirely unexpected and no one was more surprised than Cameron himself. It is also worth noting that not that many LD votes collapsed in Cameron's favour, but just enough (c.20-25%) for him to pick up the seats. The Tory vote did increase in England a little bit but only by 1-2%. Meanwhile, a big part of the NOTA vote moved to UKIP, shifting England (and to a lesser extent Wales) significantly to the political Right.

We must be careful not to retrospectively rewrite what really happened.
  • Options

The BMA has published a summary of the recent negotiations, according to which four significant areas of disagreement remain. Three concern pay, in particular the definition of antisocial hours. The other is about safeguarding measures to ensure adherence to the new hours policy. Is this latter really irresolvable? Or is it just there to anticipate the charge that this is all about money?....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12093767/Why-this-doctor-wont-be-on-strike-today.html Yes the BMA are in the wrong and militants are putting the producer interests ahead of the patients. But the Govt have not prepared the ground well enough and their PR machine is woeful. The Govt are going to be forced to drop this. Best bet is to announce a delay now and setup an independent review to report back.

If this festers along we have to expect the referendum being postponed into 2017.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

She's absolutely crap.
    That's as may be, but she's very backable at 66/1, especially with signs that this strike might be the first of many: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader
  • Options

Ed West
    Doctor pay by country according to Forbes. Why isn't the NHS full of Swedish and Norwegian doctors? https://t.co/gIqxy6BddU

If they are anything like Swedish nurses, they are too busy making 'art films'.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mr. Jessop, unsure if it's true, but a few days ago Edrogan reportedly said he wanted to be 'like Hitler'. Bonkers, but then, Ecclestone said he (Hitler) at least knew how to get things done.

I heard about that, though the quote's not as you say. However it's another sign that Erdogan's taking Turkey in the wrong direction.

The article below has the quote, and a 'clarification'. Given Erdogan's experienced and not stupid, he would have chosen his words with care. It's particularly bad as the background is that he might be attempting a power grab.

The question "was Hitler's Germany 'effective' government?" is not one a serious politician should risk asking. There be dragons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/01/turkish-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan-hitlers-germany-example-effective-government
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

OT if you're on Twitter, there's a great nostalgia Newcastle photo account @turnipheadpics

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cage are an utterly pernicious organisation. The fact that the sainted Babar Ahmed is palling

Who went to prison?
    Chris Huhne
    Loved those - brought back memories!
  • Options

Ed West

• Options

She's absolutely crap.
    That's as may be, but she's very backable at 66/1, especially with signs that this strike might be the first of many: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader
    I'm persuaded. Plus if Labour can elect Corbyn they can elect anyone. Being crap isn't a bar.

I notice my recent 66/1 tip on Michael Fallon is now at 16/1.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584

TGOHF said:

Thousands of patients have treatment postponed as junior doctors in England go on strike"

Morning all,

And so Bowie gives way to more prosaic news. The alternative headline would be far worse for junior doctors:

"No discernible difference as junior doctors strike"

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, is this a surprise, given the whole point of fresh elections was for his party to get sufficient seats to give enhanced powers to the presidency?

His whole term in power seems to have been about abandoning Ataturk's[sp] secular vision and moving in a more Islamist direction.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

That's a really good article about the dispute. It would be good to hear something equally eloquent from a doctor on the other side.

Also a good info pane at the bottom with details of career progression, salaries and bonuses.

Blimey.

20-30's, earning up to £40,000 to £65,000 including overtime.

31 upwards as a Consultant picking up a starting salary of £74K rising to an average of £130,000.

Training heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.

The public will see those figures and begin to ask questions.
  • Options
    @GPW_Portland: Corbyn's Labour has now abandoned Labour's default position on strikes - not to comment - and is supporting junior docs.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Morning all,

And so Bowie gives way to more prosaic news. The alternative headline would be far worse for junior doctors:

Or "Nurses able to get on with their jobs, as not having to tell junior doctors what they should be doing"
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    O/T, but for those who were wondering.
    Video of Farage v Jones debate from last night.
    For some reason there's six hours of blank space at the start!

https://youtu.be/i-Ofl3MKsTE?t=5h56m49s
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584

Ed West

Why are the Dutch paid so much?
  • Options
    For Croydonites

An apology for an error in Friday's article about Southern Rail https://t.co/8l2vXCGkfO
  • Options
    @ZoraSuleman: Sandwell Hospital in West Bromwich has declared a level 4 incident and told its junior doctors they must attend work
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

TGOHF said:

Morning all,

Or "Nurses able to get on with their jobs, as not having to tell junior doctors what they should be doing"
    Very true.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

31 upwards as a Consultant picking up a starting salary of £74K rising to an average of £130,000.

I don't think those numbers are unreasonable for an academic elite having gone through years of training and working 12 hour shifts. Especially as they have our lives in their hands.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The BNP's best ever result was in the 2010 GE, 7 months after Griffin's QT appearance.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

I don't think those numbers are unreasonable for an academic elite having gone through years of training and working 12 hour shifts. Especially as they have our lives in their hands.

They're not unreasonable, but a questioning public will begin to ask themselves why doctors think they deserve more. And there are many others responsible for our safety and wellbeing earning far less.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

On topic both sides need to resolve it before the big walkout on the 10th of Feb.

That's when the poop will hit the fan for both sides.

If the Docs had any political nous, they'll call it off when they see their support drain away in the coming days.

Widespread public sympathy for strikes simply has not existed since the 70s.

Not even for firefighters; well paid young professionals will get no 'bounce'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: Sandwell Hospital in West Bromwich has declared a level 4 incident and told its junior doctors they must attend work

There was a chap from Exeter NHS management on R4 saying he would tell docs they had to work if there was a incident requiring so. As indeed would be responsible.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''For some reason there's six hours of blank space at the start!''

That is a fascinating bit of video. Carwyn Jones is a really nice guy, a proper decent labour man, but talk about Christians and Lions!!

I think Wales is tired of labour, even the heartlands, and I think there could be a few shocks in the summer.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/12094334/David-Cameron-made-perhaps-the-best-speech-of-his-leadership.html
    What with David Bowie dying and all, I suppose it's just possible that many people might not have paid full attention to a long and quite complicated speech by a politician yesterday. I have to confess my attention was elsewhere too.

That's a shame because the speech, by David Cameron, really was quite good and potentially very important. In fact, I'd suggest it might just be the best speech he's given as PM, at least in terms of policy and philosophy. Though that's a comment on the text not the oratory: I saw nothing of the speech being delivered.

If you read or heard anything of the speech you may well think it was about demolishing tower blocks, or maybe about parenting classes, since those are the "lines" that were pre briefed to journalists in advance. Which is all very nice, but rather underplays the quality, detail and ambition of the speech, which is here.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

TOPPING said:

Agree. But. The government isn't saying "look other people are having a pay cut, you must also." It is saying "we are giving you an 11% pay rise" as though that compensates for the change in unsocial hours banding pay. It is being economic with the actualite to say the least.

Also, the fact that other professionals have had to take a pay cut isn't really a compelling argument if you think you might be able to resist it. "Other people are miserable, now it's your turn" is not very persuasive.

But although the public will I think support the doctors whatever happens, I'm not sure how much public opinion matters in these disputes. Occasional disruption can go on for a long time and people treat it like bad weather - a nuisance but just the way things are. That's why the Tube strikes aren't producing huge outrage or pressure on either side - polls show there that people are more against than for the strikes, though it's not overwhelming, but they're infrequent enough not to seem that significant.
    Living in Sevenoaks, I know a fair few people who quite look forward to Tube strikes, as it gives them an excuse to work at home for the day.

• Options
    Sandwell Hospital, West Bromwich has declared a level 4 incident and has told its junior doctors they must attend work #JuniorDoctorsStrike
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GPW_Portland: Corbyn's Labour has now abandoned Labour's default position on strikes - not to comment - and is supporting junior docs.

Progress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCV5XWiW6gc
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    '20-30's, earning up to £40,000 to £65,000 including overtime.

Training heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.'

Positively breadline stuff, isn't it? I thought the big advantage of the NHS was that having a monopsony buyer of health staff helped keep overall costs down. Doesn't seem to be working.
  • Options
    @JournoStephen: I pity striking doctors. Their grievances may be legitimate but some of their spokespeople sound like Arthur Scargill with a stethoscope.
  • Options
    ''That's a shame because the speech, by David Cameron, really was quite good and potentially very important. ''

Fair enough, but its hardly news that David Cameron is a one nation, patrician tory down to his bootstraps. And a passionate one. We have always known that.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'20-30's, earning up to £40,000 to £65,000 including overtime.

Training heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.'

Positively breadline stuff, isn't it? I thought the big advantage of the NHS was that having a monopsony buyer of health staff helped keep overall costs down. Doesn't seem to be working.

It's becoming ever clearer that large swathes of the health service are run with the producers interests in mind.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Scott_P said:

Just wait for when he/they support the underground drivers strike :-)
  • Options
    BBC: "Toyota has said it will stay in the UK, even if the country decides to leave the European Union in an upcoming referendum."

Of course they will. The planks of the Remain argument will fall away, one by one.
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Sandwell Hospital in West Bromwich has declared a level 4 incident and has told its junior doctors they must attend work

Allegedly the BMA have said it's not a major incident, and told striking doctors not to go in
  • Options
    ''It's becoming ever clearer that large swathes of the health service are run with the producers interests in mind.''

Give 'em enough rope....
  • Options
    @alexmassie: The eurosceptics are afraid they're losing. Which is why they're whining. Today's @thetimes column: https://t.co/KGJ6tHgvIb
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    One thing about the Dr's strike. They were complaining about working silly hours over weekends, and rightly so. No there's moves to 'regularise' work hours and they complain again. Personally I'd like to be seen by a doctor approaching the end of a 40hr work week rather than a doctor approaching the end of 40hr back to back shift, where said doctor will be receiving overtime and extra payments.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,940
    watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

Then again maybe they'll compare the £74,000-£130,000 a doctor can earn at the very top of their profession with cabinet minister like Jeremy Hunt who earns £134,000 for who knows what?.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,315
    edited January 2016
    Roger said:

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

Then again maybe they'll compare the £74,000-£130,000 a doctor can earn at the very top of their profession with cabinet minister like Jeremy Hunt who earns £134,000 for who knows what?.

Except £130k isn't the max....next...
  • Options
    To cheer up LDs

Eastbourne News
    Former MP’s band releases second album: Former Lewes MP Norman Baker’s band, The Reform Club, releases its sec... https://t.co/TknBLYnbi9
  • Options
    Roger said:

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

Doctors become consultants in their early thirties by following a conveyor belt. The £74k is not for people at the very top of their profession. Compare that salary against a chartered engineer of similar age.
  • Options
    John Rentoul
    Amazing we don't have a 7-day NHS already, yet public supports doctors strike: @JananGanesh https://t.co/4c0w7vmMDz https://t.co/RMpIWv7T7S
  • Options
    Err

'Female suicide bomber caught' minutes after explosion in Istanbul https://t.co/eNyIzcg1uL https://t.co/4NZndBjRqT
  • Options

Err

'Female suicide bomber caught' minutes after explosion in Istanbul https://t.co/eNyIzcg1uL https://t.co/4NZndBjRqT

Hopefully there aren't any more nutters running about Istanbul today.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@alexmassie: The eurosceptics are afraid they're losing. Which is why they're whining. Today's @thetimes column: https://t.co/KGJ6tHgvIb

Yet another pro-EU article which fails to suggest a single advantage of remaining in the EU.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

One thing about the Dr's strike. They were complaining about working silly hours over weekends, and rightly so. No there's moves to 'regularise' work hours and they complain again. Personally I'd like to be seen by a doctor approaching the end of a 40hr work week rather than a doctor approaching the end of 40hr back to back shift, where said doctor will be receiving overtime and extra payments.

It's not about time; it's been established that doctors are willing to put in the hours to clear student debts, but not if payments for the work are cut.
  • Options
    The public would support NHS staff no matter what. The details don't matter.

Seems to have been a bit of a realisation at the top of the BMA (and change of leaders? certainly a more militant attitude) that they can do what they like and they will be supported.

The government is quite right to try and equalise the available quality of care across the week, and have in this age of austerity taken reasonable steps to compensate doctors for it.

But ask the public if more money should be spent on the NHS/doctors/nurses/whatever and the answer will be yes, always and every time, so the doctors know they can hold out for more cash.

Let's not pretend that at the end of the day this is anything other than a common or garden strike for better pay and conditions. Doctors hold all the aces though, trying to reform the NHS is a thankless task. sigh
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited January 2016
    perdix said:
    Given I'm someone who runs a manufacturing company, you think I'm happy that November was a real shit month ?

You have warped values.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Ed West

As I said last night, the underlying issue is student fees. In days gone past when there were minimal fees or bursaries students had some sense that they owed the government for their education and training so didn't complain about the shitty hours and mediocre pay, now that we have turned students into consumers they are more discerning about the kind of jobs they will take afterwards. Say what you like about the BMA being a bunch of Trots, but the reality is that the juniors voted for a strike because they are being asked to pay for their education and then take crap wages (at least compared to other countries where their services are in demand) and crap hours. It's because a club sandwich with three layers of shit.

It was a natural consequence of charging so much for education. People aren't going to pay to be dumped on.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    The whole export meme is just plain wrong, we would have a better economy if we re-shored.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

The public would support NHS staff no matter what. The details don't matter.

Seems to have been a bit of a realisation at the top of the BMA (and change of leaders? certainly a more militant attitude) that they can do what they like and they will be supported.

The government is quite right to try and equalise the available quality of care across the week, and have in this age of austerity taken reasonable steps to compensate doctors for it.

But ask the public if more money should be spent on the NHS/doctors/nurses/whatever and the answer will be yes, always and every time, so the doctors know they can hold out for more cash.

Let's not pretend that at the end of the day this is anything other than a common or garden strike for better pay and conditions. Doctors hold all the aces though, trying to reform the NHS is a thankless task. sigh

The Tories also know they'll get in next time come what may. This is Jeremy's time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Think the perpetrator should be repatriated at the end of the sentence, especially since, according to the article, he had only been granted asylum for 5 years. If he is that worried about being sent back to Eritrea, surely it is not too much to ask that he refrain from committing serious crimes? (well, any crimes really).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Pulpstar said:
    The whole export meme is just plain wrong, we would have a better economy if we re-shored.
    Well tell Beatson Clark, Pilkington and the others to start procuring some glass furnaces then !
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I see the media is full of pictures of photogenic medics protesting in public, togged up in scrubs, with stethoscopes and assorted medical pharaphanalia. One assumes this stuff gets heavily sterilised before being reused in hospitals or is hygiene a dirty word these days?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well tell Beatson Clark, Pilkington and the others to start procuring some glass furnaces then !
    Indeed or maybe HMG should just look at how it handles capital allowances and get BIS to attract more inward investment particularly from our UK companies rather than spend it's time pushing exports which are a damned sight more complicated to create.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all. NHS England employs 1.3 million people. If it were a city it would be Britain's fifth largest. It's not particularly amenable to reform; Health has replaced Northern Island as the poisoned chalice of cabinet roles.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:
    Indeed or maybe HMG should just look at how it handles capital allowances and get BIS to attract more inward investment particularly from our UK companies rather than spend it's time pushing exports which are a damned sight more complicated to create.
    Isn't the current cap allowance a straight line qtr mill? That's quite generous really....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    John_M said:

Good morning all. NHS England employs 1.3 million people. If it were a city it would be Britain's fifth largest. It's not particularly amenable to reform; Health has replaced Northern Island as the poisoned chalice of cabinet roles.

I believe John Reid is supposed to have exclaimed "Not fucking Health!" when Tony Blair offered it to him.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

At least it's clear then - the Ed M robotic response video shows the difficulties you can get into trying to be unequivocal in your equivocation.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'It's becoming ever clearer that large swathes of the health service are run with the producers interests in mind.'

I think that has been clear for a very long time indeed. It is a similar racket to the legal profession, with the same inflated sense of importance and entitlement.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    John_M said:

Didn't one of Blair's appointees to the SoS role exclaim "Oh f..., not health!" When offered the job?

Edit: John Reid, thanks Mr @Wanderer
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

I think only about 15% of hospital doctors manage to make the jump to consultant.
  • Options
    Here's the impact on my local health hospitals.

Update from @ESHTNHS - 65 elective procedure cancelled today due to #JuniorDoctorsStrike figure includes 61 day cases
  • Options

John Rentoul
    Amazing we don't have a 7-day NHS already, yet public supports doctors strike: @JananGanesh https://t.co/4c0w7vmMDz https://t.co/RMpIWv7T7S

As observant as ever:

For a youngish urbanite with good health, well-paid work and no duties, modernity is a daily miracle. Transience — of products, relationships, ideas — is not a problem, it is the point.

But we are a minority, and not a substantial one. If history were a 24-hour clock, this lifestyle has existed for the past second or so. Humans are hard-wired with more plodding desires: security, continuity, a nest. If these desires intensify even as capitalism showers people with bespoke choice, this is not necessarily a glitch. It might just be society’s mysterious equilibrium. Even if the medical rebellion is quelled, public sector reformers are up against more than producer interests. They are up against the oldest human yearnings.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8fe525f8-b84f-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb.html#ixzz3x1eG8eeY
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey.

I think only about 15% of hospital doctors manage to make the jump to consultant.

And those not good enough to do so, will still earn a multiple of the average wage.
  • Options
    Interesting to read Mike's article and the comments that people from various sides have posted here. Almost everyone is seeing this from the point of view of whether the government is making a mistake to take on the vested interests, and almost no-one is asking whether Hunt might actually be right in trying to do what he is doing. I think that is very revealing.

Of course, all governments get into battles with vested interests of one sort or another - remember Patricia Hewitt and the nurses? The political significance is usually less than it seems at the time.
This discussion has been closed.