Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s not inconceivable that in a year’s time there’ll be a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s not inconceivable that in a year’s time there’ll be a new CON leader and PM

There’s is a widespread view that if the EU referendum goes against Cameron then his position will no longer be tenable. If that happens then we could only be months away from the first Conservative leadership contest since 2005 in which the party would not just be choosing a new leader but the next prime minister.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    "Cameron: We have no Brexit plan

David Cameron has been accused of being “nothing short of irresponsible” after indicating that the government had not made any preparations should Britain vote to leave the European Union."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4661769.ece
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Richard III
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016
    I am presuming somebody has fired the low orbit ion cannon at the BBC again. Perhaps it was Jahadi Jez's lot, angered at the scum bag BBC engineering that resignation?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2016
    "If the EU referendum goes against Cameron then his position will no longer be tenable"

I agree with this premise and feel sure that David Cameron would agree too. Assuming the referendum were to be held in September 2016, which appears to be the favoured date assuming the current negotiations are satisfactorily concluded by the end of next month which is the stated objective, then were he to lose the vote, it would seem likely that the Prime Minister would choose to leave office during the first half of 2017, enabling him, as far as was possible, to influence the person chosen to succeed him.
    In such circumstances Hills' decimal odds of 9.0, or 8/1 in old money, on his "ceasing to be leader of the Tory Party" in 2017" appears to offer certain attractions.
    For one thing, this is far more generous than Ladbrokes' equivalent bet offering 7.0 (or 6/1) against "David Cameron leaving his post as Prime Minister in 2017", and very substantially better than the best odds of around 2/1 currently available against a bare Brexit vote.
    As is often the case, I am finding that Hills are severely limiting my stakes on such a bet, although others may have more success - but in any event DYOR beforehand!
  • Options

I am presuming somebody has fired the low orbit ion cannon at the BBC again. Perhaps it was Jahadi Jez's lot, angered at the scum bag BBC engineering that resignation?

Nah, Jihadi Jez and his friends couldn't organise the proverbial party in the beer-making facility, there's no chance they could organise a DDOS against the BBC.

The question does remain, who is doing it though - this is what, three times so far this year..?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,751
    The Seamus Milne School of Immaculate Media Management.....part 99:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35278120
    A series of foul-mouthed posts have been published on Jeremy Corbyn's Twitter feed following the apparent hacking of the Labour leader's account.

The infiltration began shortly after 21:00 GMT, and at least four messages were broadcast to his 384,000 followers.

One mocked Prime Minister David Cameron by stating: "davey cameron is a pie".
  • Options
    This could be interesting politics. Boris takes aim at the BMA in no uncertain terms:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12092224/The-BMA-has-Corbyn-fever-and-is-more-interested-in-politics-than-patients.html
  • Options
    On topic - I'm not so sure Cameron would resign (remember the poster who thought he'd have to resign because of a horse...) after all, he promised a referendum (not delivering one should be a resigning matter - but none of his similarly placed predecessors did.....) and if the British people decide to quit 'one crisis will be enough to be going on with...'
  • Options

"If the EU referendum goes against Cameron then his position will no longer be tenable"

I agree with this premise and feel sure that David Cameron would agree too.

Would other political leaders who had recommended 'stay' similarly resign?

Of course not......
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited January 2016
    It´s all very strange. Cameron is negotiating with the EU countries, and even now we have no idea what his objectives are, so no way of coming to any conclusion about whether he is eventually successful or not.

Unless he has completely sewn himself up in a corner (before even starting), or if the whole negotiation process is a fraud (as some have alleged), nobody knows at this stage if Cameron is sucessful or not in his negotiations. So, if Cameron is dealing honestly, not even he knows whether he will recommend Leave or Remain.

So I feel it is somewhat premature to say, at this stage, that Cameron must resign if the referendum votes for Leave. That may well be the answer that Cameron finally recommends to us.

I wish we had a Prime Minister who really did know what he wanted to do. Cameron is just so feeble.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

On topic - I'm not so sure Cameron would resign (remember the poster who thought he'd have to resign because of a horse...) after all, he promised a referendum (not delivering one should be a resigning matter - but none of his similarly placed predecessors did.....) and if the British people decide to quit 'one crisis will be enough to be going on with...'

I think his decision to resign or not will depend on how his party reacts to the negotiations and campaign.

If they can hold together and have their internal disagreements politely then the PM could stay on whatever the result, the people having spoken etc.

However if it turns into a Tory bloodbath to rival what Labour are going through right now, with briefings and counter-briefings, MPs accusing the leadership of being dishonest liars, stitching up the negotiations etc. then Cameron's position will be untenable if his 'side' doesn't win the referendum.

So it's basically up to party management whether he goes or not, which is why he's trying desperately now to keep a lid on public disagreement and stop the the mud from flying while the negotiations are still happening.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

This could be interesting politics. Boris takes aim at the BMA in no uncertain terms:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12092224/The-BMA-has-Corbyn-fever-and-is-more-interested-in-politics-than-patients.html

Interesting chart in that article:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03451/nhschart_3451410b.jpg

It would appear that the dispute is about whether 6am-7am and 7pm-10pm and Saturdays and Sundays could be considered 'normal' work hours. I wonder what people who work in shops, restaurants or cafes (or indeed salaried management in other businesses) think about that?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So it's basically up to party management whether he goes or not, which is why he's trying desperately now to keep a lid on public disagreement and stop the the mud from flying while the negotiations are still happening.
    I think that's fair - the Conservatives tested to destruction 'Party not fit for Government' in the mid-nineties, so there is the wane hope they have learned from their lesson.....
  • Options

Of course not......
    But David Cameron has personally led all the negotiations with the other EU leaders and as such he would inevitably be viewed as having failed were the British people to decide that the terms he was recommending were ultimately found to be unacceptable.

From a betting perspective there is a further angle to this - were the referendum to result in a Remain vote, it is quite conceivable that David Cameron might then conclude that the major task he faced in his second term had been satisfactorily concluded and that by say May 2017, after 7 long years as Prime Minister, it was time to call it a day and step aside.
    Let us not forget that, perhaps unwisely, it was his stated intention to leave office during his second term (which with hindsight, perhaps both Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair might have been best advised to consider also), before backing away from this plan of action for understandable political reasons. It is not unreasonable to believe that this nevertheless remains his preferred option, particularly if it is one shared by his wife.
    Whichever way one looks at it, 2017 at 8/1 (i.e. an 11% probability) looks to me to be a reasonable bet, but like I say DYOR.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Sandpit said:

It would appear that the dispute is about whether 6am-7am and 7pm-10pm and Saturdays and Sundays could be considered 'normal' work hours. I wonder what people who work in shops, restaurants or cafes (or indeed salaried management in other businesses) think about that?
    I'm not sure that certain parts of the public sector understand the transformation in the last decade or so, in terms of the work patterns of the average man or the expectations of service delivery. Even banks in major towns are now open Saturdays and increasingly Sundays.

The government has a point that the public's expectations are for the same seven-day working patterns in the NHS as the police, fire and other vital services. They have apparently good statistics to back up their argument and it's actually leading to people dying.

The doctors may have good arguments for their position, but to an outsider it looks like Luddite bleating in the face of progress and wishing to maintain lucrative 'out of hours' payments and private work - or even second jobs such as the wedding photographer. That they have a bunch of people at the BMA who are clearly Corbynites out to bash the government really doesn't help their cause much either. The public's view of doctors from various surveys is so high because they have a record of being above things like strikes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not sure that certain parts of the public sector understand the transformation in the last decade or so, in terms of the work patterns of the average man or the expectations of service delivery. Even banks in major towns are now open Saturdays and increasingly Sundays.
    Yes, there is a bit of a disconnect, and its been going on longer than a decade. Ask (almost) anyone in business if they only 'worked' between 9am - 5pm and they'd laugh at you. Up 5.30am for the early flight - home by 10pm - did we get 'time off in lieu' or 'overtime'? Did we buggery! The sainted Doctors may be tarnishing their halos......
  • Options

Of course not......
    From a betting perspective there is a further angle to this - were the referendum to result in a Remain vote, it is quite conceivable that David Cameron might then conclude that the major task he faced in his second term had been satisfactorily concluded and that by say May 2017, after 7 long years as Prime Minister, it was time to call it a day and step aside.
    Never underestimate a politician's vanity, or belief in their indispensability (honourable exception, Clemenceau...) - which is why I think your second scenario - 'resign after referendum success - my work is done' is the more likely scenario......which since I recon we will vote to remain......
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

The Times’ front page has Cameron: I won’t quit if Britain votes to leave EU.

Don't know thw details as the article is paywalled - perhaps a subscriber would kindly oblige?
  • Options

Morning all.

Don't know thw details as the article is paywalled - perhaps a subscriber would kindly oblige?

He said as much on Marr yesterday. That he promised a referendum which will be delivered, and that - while he will have a view - it's for the people to decide which road to take and the government (his government) will respect the outcome of the public vote.
  • Options

Morning all.

Cameron appears to be saying: I won't quit, but equally I don't have any idea on how we would proceed in the event of a Leave vote.

Sounds like it's time for him to sort out his thinking somewhat.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

Morning all.

He said as much on Marr yesterday. That he promised a referendum which will be delivered, and that - while he will have a view - it's for the people to decide which road to take and the government (his government) will respect the outcome of the public vote.
    Thanks Mr Sandpit for the heads up – Apparently in the Marr interview the PM was asked if he would remain in No 10 if voters decided to leave, he said: “The answer to that is yes.” - Seems clear enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Sandpit said:

Morning all.

Thanks Mr Sandpit for the heads up – Apparently in the Marr interview the PM was asked if he would remain in No 10 if voters decided to leave, he said: “The answer to that is yes.” - Seems clear enough.
    Yes, that's what he said. Found the video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tADiQrmlEQ
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Morning all.

Cameron appears to be saying: I won't quit, but equally I don't have any idea on how we would proceed in the event of a Leave vote.

Not at all. The last sentence is a not at all subtle dig at the Booers who have signally failed to explain just how Brexit would work.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2016
    Doesn't any responsible British Government have an undeniable duty to have detailed plans in place to deal with a Brexit vote by its own people.

To admit that it does not surely beggars belief? Even were it to state that, rather like the Irish, we'd simply have another referendum until we came up with the right answer would be better than nothing!
  • Options

Doesn't any responsible British Government have an undeniable duty to have detailed plans in place to deal with a Brexit vote by its own people.

Why? They didn't for SINDYRef - and that worked out fine.

If he says 'Yes' we immediately get into 'what are they? and 'whataboutery' from here to kingdom come.

Surely its the job of 'Leave' to paint a picture of what it would mean?

Oh, I see your problem......
  • Options
    Of course! Its 'partisan Tories' fault, - not 'Union members who don't(or can't be bothered to) support Labour:

The confidential paper says it had been predicted that about 10% of union members would opt in, based on a review of the number of union members who did so in the 2010 party leadership election. This would mean the number of members paying the political levy in the five largest affiliated unions would fall from 3.352 million to 333,000,

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/10/labour-expecting-6m-loss-in-funding-through-trade-union-bill
  • Options
    I was slightly alarmed at seeing 19% support for Liam Fox.....then I read the source - ConHome:

We continue to delete duplicate votes that are cast – and for one candidate in particular – and to remove what is evidently an organised push, again for the same candidate, taking place from Parliamentary IP addresses. This takes time and if it continues we will name names.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    felix said:

Morning all.

Not at all. The last sentence is a not at all subtle dig at the Booers who have signally failed to explain just how Brexit would work.
    It would be very straightforward: we'd pass our own laws, trade freely and control our own borders. Cameron knows this but he's trying to muddy the waters.

Of far more concern is what happens if we Remain.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I was slightly alarmed at seeing 19% support for Liam Fox.....then I read the source - ConHome:

We continue to delete duplicate votes that are cast – and for one candidate in particular – and to remove what is evidently an organised push, again for the same candidate, taking place from Parliamentary IP addresses. This takes time and if it continues we will name names.

Ha ha. Politicians really don't understand computers do they? Did they not expect ConHome to go through their web server logs for an important poll like this? It's a bit like Corbyn having his Twitter account hacked, or the SpAd types that run multiple social media accounts on one device - that they take with them when they're on the pop!

Half of me would love to run IT for a political party, the other half of me would hate it, as pretty much everyone would think of themselves as being too important to follow basic rules - it would be like having a couple of hundred CEOs!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Breaking: unconfirmed reports David Bowie dead....
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Oh dear, I don't like crocodile tears over celebs but I'm a big Bowie fan, that would be a great shame.

• Options

felix said:

Morning all.

It would be very straightforward: we'd pass our own laws, trade freely and control our own borders. Cameron knows this but he's trying to muddy the waters.

Lol. Keep plugging g that line - big vote for remain.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh dear, I don't like crocodile tears over celebs but I'm a big Bowie fan, that would be a great shame.

Confirmed, aged 69 after an 18-month battle with cancer...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

This is a verified Twitter account.
    https://twitter.com/DavidBowieReal/status/686434952464982016
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Worth noting that a Tory leadership election may also be one additional stage at the beginning.

If 15% of the parliamentary party send letters to the Chairman of the 1922 committee demanding a vote of confidence in the leader, then one automatically takes place, which puts the trigger-point at 46 MPs. I've little doubt that the letters would be sent if Out wins and Cameron doesn't resign. If that didn't then prompt him to go, then there'd have to be a good chance that the vote would carry, not just because some MPs will campaign for Out anyway and wouldn't trust Cameron to lead the negotiations, but more because many would see his leadership as untenable in those circumstances, whatever their personal sympathies and support for him.

But then Cameron is no fool and would be likely to come to the same conclusion, preventing the need for an election in the first place.

One name to watch as a possible is Jeremy Hunt, best priced at 28/1 with Hills. He has in the past expressed scepticism about Britain's membership of the EU, and his taking on of the extremists in the NHS won't do him any harm.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

Well if we remain Turkey will soon be able to move here, I'm glad you think that's a good idea. A vote for In is a vote for closer integration, Leave has every intention of plugging that line.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

I had no idea he had cancer.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Sky News, Telegraph and Mail reporting it now. RIP Ziggy!

BBC website is still down with an error 500.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

As a rule, the uncertainty does not lie with the status quo.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Lots of posts on the thread saying its a hoax.....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,402

Morning all.

I think this is to avoid the referendum becoming about his leadership. Both inside his party and amongst the electorate at large.

If the UK did vote to Leave I think he'd find it rather difficult to stay in office, particularly given the lack of preparation for it highlighted downthread.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

His son's confirmed it.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Also ticker line on the Telegraph
  • Options

Worth noting that a Tory leadership election may also be one additional stage at the beginning.

If 15% of the parliamentary party send letters to the Chairman of the 1922 committee demanding a vote of confidence in the leader, then one automatically takes place, which puts the trigger-point at 46 MPs. I've little doubt that the letters would be sent if Out wins and Cameron doesn't resign. If that didn't then prompt him to go, then there'd have to be a good chance that the vote would carry, not just because some MPs will campaign for Out anyway and wouldn't trust Cameron to lead the negotiations, but more because many would see his leadership as untenable in those circumstances, whatever their personal sympathies and support for him.

But then Cameron is no fool and would be likely to come to the same conclusion, preventing the need for an election in the first place.

One name to watch as a possible is Jeremy Hunt, best priced at 28/1 with Hills. He has in the past expressed scepticism about Britain's membership of the EU, and his taking on of the extremists in the NHS won't do him any harm.

Correct. Hunt is a good bet.

Personally, I think Fox's time has past.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/david-bowie-dead-singer-dies-after-18-month-battle-with-cancer-a6805396.html
    "Sky News have spoken to the singer's publicist"
    All the media reporting it as confirmed now, unfortunately.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

But Remain doesn't mean the status quo. Before long Turkey and Albania will be joining, if we vote to stay effectively we're signing up for life with all that entails.

I've been saying on here for ages that Cameron has made this all about him, im convinced there's plenty of Labour voters ambivalent about the EU that will give him a kicking.

• Options
    Bowie’s death now up on BBC. – A true music legend, RIP Ziggy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35278872
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

Well if we remain Turkey will soon be able to move here, I'm glad you think that's a good idea. A vote for In is a vote for closer integration, Leave has every intention of plugging that line.

Fear is a motivation I agree - just not the way you think. I love the way you put words into people's mouths and then attack them for it. Symbol of a paucity of your own ideas?
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

But Remain doesn't mean the status quo. Before long Turkey and Albania will be joining, if we vote to stay effectively we're signing up for life with all that entails.

I've been saying on here for ages that Cameron has made this all about him, im convinced there's plenty of Labour voters ambivalent about the EU that will give him a kicking.
    Cameron is specifically trying not to make this about him and I suspect will succeed. The debate will centre around the issue.

And if you think that Turkey has any chance of becoming a member any time soon, you're deluding yourself - or more likely, trying to do so to others. Turkey is moving away from membership with its current leaders, even before you consider Greek and Cypriot vetoes.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

Fear is a motivation I agree - just not the way you think. I love the way you put words into people's mouths and then attack them for it. Symbol of a paucity of your own ideas?
    I haven't put words into your mouth at all, do you think Turkey and Albania joining the EU (which they will) is good for the UK?

Incidentally, I'm not expecting a straight answer, just more of your usual obfuscation and insults.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited January 2016
    David Bowie RIP
    Liked his music a lot
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,008

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

I haven't put words into your mouth at all, do you think Turkey and Albania joining the EU (which they will) is good for the UK?

Incidentally, I'm not expecting a straight answer, just more of your usual obfuscation and insults.

There is literally no chance that Turkey will join the EU in the next decade. It's at least two orders of magnitude more likely the EU collapses than Turkey joins.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

David Bowie RIP
    Liked his music a lot

How sad, I was playing one of his songs this morning
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

Cameron is specifically trying not to make this about him and I suspect will succeed. The debate will centre around the issue.

And if you think that Turkey has any chance of becoming a member any time soon, you're deluding yourself - or more likely, trying to do so to others. Turkey is moving away from membership with its current leaders, even before you consider Greek and Cypriot vetoes.
    Well that's interesting because Cameron is on record as saying that he wants Turkey to join, regardless of that Albania will be soon.

The fact Cameron is trying not to make it all about him says everything, he's painted himself into a corner over a referendum he didn't want. I get emails from Stronger in Europe, last week had an unflattering photo of Farage, inviting people to kick him out of politics. In are absolutely politicising and personalising the campaign.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

David Bowie RIP
    Liked his music a lot

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon

Very sad - but a life lived to the full and with a musical legacy that will outlast us all.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

felix said:

Morning all.

I've been saying on here for ages that Cameron has made this all about him, im convinced there's plenty of Labour voters ambivalent about the EU that will give him a kicking
    There's no way Turkey's joining the EU in the next decade at the earliest, and especially not under its current leadership. But it suits all sides for negotiations to continue.

If you base your argument on that then you're basing your argument on a lie.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

David Bowie RIP
    Liked his music a lot

How sad, I was playing one of his songs this morning
    He was always ahead of his time, always saw what no one saw until years later, even when seemingly using contemporary references.

Huge part of my cultural life.

Wow.
  • Options
    Following on from the P2P discussion last night, this forum is essential reading (and constant monitoring) for anyone thinking of taking the plunge...
    http://p2pindependentforum.com/#category-15
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

I've been saying on here for ages that Cameron has made this all about him, im convinced there's plenty of Labour voters ambivalent about the EU that will give him a kicking
    There's no way Turkey's joining the EU in the next decade at the earliest, and especially not under its current leadership. But it suits all sides for negotiations to continue.

A quick google search contradicts your view, but thanks for calling me a liar.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited January 2016

I get emails from Stronger in Europe, last week had an unflattering photo of Farage, inviting people to kick him out of politics.

A strong argument - and one that they wouldn't have been able to make if he had kept to his promise.

• Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

Happy to oblige idiot :)
  • Options

I get emails from Stronger in Europe, last week had an unflattering photo of Farage, inviting people to kick him out of politics.

A strong argument - and one that they wouldn't have been able to make if he had kept to his promise.

Nonsense, if he'd stood down as party leader he'd still be working with leave.eu and he'd still be an MEP.

• Options

Nonsense, if he'd stood down as party leader he'd still be working with leave.eu and he'd still be an MEP.

And still be a drag on the Leave Campaign. Cameron on the other hand.....
  • Options
    Every man's death diminishes me, but pop is almost universally banal, infantile nonsense I'm afraid...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Excellent. A Next Con Leader Supermonday!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Morning all.

There is literally no chance that Turkey will join the EU in the next decade. It's at least two orders of magnitude more likely the EU collapses than Turkey joins.
    Turkey is moving away from the internal changes that would be required for membership. There is no chance of membership in the next decade or two, and even then it would be with a long transitional migration period.

And Leave would have to mean Leave the EEA for Turkey to matter.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

Care to post the link which suggests Turkey joining before 2025?
  • Options

A good point about the challenge mechanism within the party - no matter how well he keeps the MPs together, there will probably be enough dissenters to mount a challenge if there's more than about 45% Leave.

As you say, DC is no fool and will accept that his time has come, he'll be happy to be spending more time in the country with the wife and kids.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2016
    RC

"Every man's death diminishes me, but pop is almost universally banal, infantile nonsense I'm afraid..."

I saw Bowie play Elephantman on Broadway. No prosthetics or make up. He just slowly and imperceptibly contorted his body. One of the finest theatrical performances I've seen.

More than just pop
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

felix said:

Morning all.

Why not? A reprise of your posting style is, it's a shame that some people personalise matters on here. By the way, that Cameron is a liar and a c*** isn't he. Sticks and motes.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Every man's death diminishes me, but pop is almost universally banal, infantile nonsense I'm afraid...

That's ok, Rod - some people didn't like Mozart either.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3278181/Turkey-join-EU-sooner-helping-disorderly-migrant-crisis-says-Merkel-visit-Istanbul.html
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

That's ok, Rod - some people didn't like Mozart either.
    I hate Mozart - ... banal, infantile nonsense!
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3278181/Turkey-join-EU-sooner-helping-disorderly-migrant-crisis-says-Merkel-visit-Istanbul.html
    Where does it say 'before 2025'?

Or address the Greek or Cypriot vetos? (Let alone the French or Austrian....)
  • Options
    matt said:

felix said:

Morning all.

Why not? A reprise of your posting style is, it's a shame that some people personalise matters on here. By the way, that Cameron is a liar and a c*** isn't he. Sticks and motes.
    Well c**t isn't a word I use, so it seems you're rattled by Cameron's duplicity as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Very sad news about Bowie. RIP.

On topic any polling that has Liam Fox at 19% cannot be taken seriously as Conhome themselves seem to noted. It is also very likely that Javid will back Osborne.

At the moment the final 2 if this comes to pass looks to me to be Osborne and May and I would expect Osborne to win such a contest although it might be close.

After May, with Boris no longer being Mayor I would expect him to be given a fairly senior post provided he stays onside in the referendum. This might give him a better chance but only if Cameron plays it long. If he resigns shortly after the referendum, for whatever reason, I think Boris will not have the track record to make it to the final 2. A Boris/Osborne play off in 2019 would be interesting.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

Haha! Merkel is negotiating with Turkey, Dave says Turkey is "vital" to us, is this really where Remain is? I do hope so, because I'm sure our electorate will welcome 90m Turks with open arms.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    In other news Corbyn hasn't brought Noel Gallagher back to vote Labour.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Corbyn-s-politics-like-communism-says-Noel/story-28495029-detail/story.html

Re Bowie - heard his music, like some of it, but not enough to buy any tracks. Sad news for his family, friends & fans.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Bowie was part of the reason you have to put "almost" into that sentence.

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Nope. Two bars of Rachmaninov or Bach is worth more than the entire catalogue of Bowie and his ilk...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Nope. Two bars of Rachmaninov or Bach is worth more than the entire catalogue of Bowie and his ilk...
    Rachmaninov = banal, infantile nonsense
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The government has a point that the public's expectations are for the same seven-day working patterns in the NHS as the police, fire and other vital services. They have apparently good statistics to back up their argument and it's actually leading to people dying.

The doctors may have good arguments for their position, but to an outsider it looks like Luddite bleating in the face of progress and wishing to maintain lucrative 'out of hours' payments and private work - or even second jobs such as the wedding photographer. That they have a bunch of people at the BMA who are clearly Corbynites out to bash the government really doesn't help their cause much either. The public's view of doctors from various surveys is so high because they have a record of being above things like strikes.
    You don't seem to understand the dispute very well. Doctors already work these hours. The dispute is over a number of contractual issues (the BMA JDC does not agree that 15/16 issues are agreed) but the proposed changes cut the take home pay of the Doctors that do work the unsocial hours by about 20%. The "pay protection" does not cover a very large proportion of Junior Doctors.

The strike will go ahead tommorow. It has to do so or the 3 month rule since the ballot requires a further one. Ironically it is government legislation that is forcing the deadline.

98% of 37000 Junior Doctors are not ideological radicals. All they want is existing terms and conditions to be maintained. The strike ballot happened because Hunt said he would impose the new contract from August (nearly all Junior Doctors postgraduate training schemes start the first Wednesday in August).

Incidentally, recruitment for those August starts is underway over the next few months and bearing in mind that some specialities like GP, Obstetics and Emergency Dept still have unfilled posts from last years rounds it does not bode well for this year.
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

Then provide a link - the DM one does not say what you think it does. As for real data backing up my position (and that of others on here): look at the little progress that has been made since Turkey first applied in 1953, and how many chapters of the acquis communautaire remain to be closed. Then every member of the EU has to agree, which is probably a much bigger hurdle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Turkey_to_the_European_Union
  • Options

But he would also be completely irrelevant.

Which is, of course, why he reneged.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Rachmaninov = banal, infantile nonsense
    Would you care to put the music up, side by side?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Over at Comment is Free, Joris Luendijk wants the EU to threaten the UK with massive economic sanctions if we vote for Brexit. He seems to be chewing the carpet in his anger.

I hope they follow his advice. It would guarantee a victory for Leave.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

"[Bach] would be the admiration of whole nations if he had more amiability, if he did not take away the natural element in his pieces by giving them a turgid and confused style, and if he did not darken their beauty by an excess of art."

There are always people on the wrong side of history, Rod.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Very sad news about Bowie. RIP.

On topic any polling that has Liam Fox at 19% cannot be taken seriously as Conhome themselves seem to noted. It is also very likely that Javid will back Osborne.

At the moment the final 2 if this comes to pass looks to me to be Osborne and May and I would expect Osborne to win such a contest although it might be close.

After May, with Boris no longer being Mayor I would expect him to be given a fairly senior post provided he stays onside in the referendum. This might give him a better chance but only if Cameron plays it long. If he resigns shortly after the referendum, for whatever reason, I think Boris will not have the track record to make it to the final 2. A Boris/Osborne play off in 2019 would be interesting.

I don't see Osborne's answer to winning the membership vote yet, or answering concerns on immigration. He's probably got enough parliamentary support to make it to the final two but he needs to stop obsessing about socking it to Labour and start thinking of the centre-right constituency he needs to win over.

However, he is nothing if not intelligent - and knows this - so I expect he might signal he'd have an Outter as Chancellor or Foreign Secretary and address the immigration question too, although it will be just smoke & mirrors.

There are also big risks to Osborne over the next 3 years on the economy, the EU and immigration which do not justify his price.

Then there's the fact he's the heir apparent, prominent in the media, and can be picked apart for his personal failings by the polls and focus groups.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Morning all.

No it doesn't. It sounds like the resigning question is one he cannot answer, and in any case won't be up to him as he would likely be challenged and forced to go, and the second is one he is choosing not to answer as it is doing his opponents job for them.
  • Options

Haha! Merkel is negotiating with Turkey, Dave says Turkey is "vital" to us, is this really where Remain is? I do hope so, because I'm sure our electorate will welcome 90m Turks with open arms.

A new member requires the unanimous agreement of all the current member states. No Greek or (more importantly) Cypriot leader could possibly vote to let Turkey in. And even if they did, their national parliament would not ratify it.

Anyone claiming that Turkey has any chance of joining the EU in the next two decades is either deluded or lying. Which are you?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

I am not a big prog rock fan (Mrs J is), but Bowie is one of the few 1970s artists who I can listen to without wanting to put a drill through the speakers.

He was a genuine talent, if a bit weird. :)

I'm not a fan, but Space Oddity is one of my favourite songs
  • Options

felix said:

Morning all.

welcome 90m Turks
    That'll be around 2035 then:

http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=15844

So twenty years from now, when I suspect some minds may be on other matters......
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Priti Patel/Justine Greening's triumph could be even sooner than we thought. Huzzah!
  • Options
    Sad news about David Bowie.

He must have been fighting this dreadful disease when he made his crucial intervention in the IndyRef in 2014.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

felix said:

Morning all.

Everyone says turkey is vital, but they seem to be moving further away from meeting joining conditions, and only do many could be relaxed, if anything, I'd expect the words on them joining to ramp up, even as it is less likely, as a kind of diplomatic reassurance they are still on side.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Over at Comment is Free, Joris Luendijk wants the EU to threaten the UK with massive economic sanctions if we vote for Brexit. He seems to be chewing the carpet in his anger.

I hope they follow his advice. It would guarantee a victory for Leave.

It's quite clear that both sides are doing their best to bat for the other side so far.

Sensible people on both sides need to take most of UKIP, most of the LDs and Eurocrats to one side and tell them to shut the f... up for the next 12 months!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    How can anyone dispute that Turkey is "vital" to us? It is looking after more than 2 million Syrian refugees, roughly double the number that have come to the whole of Europe so far. We very much want them to stay there and that requires their co-operation.

Turkey is a large, relatively stable Muslim country and a very important player in middle eastern politics. Their policies have a huge impact and are not entirely to our liking at the moment. Their focus on the Kurds causes us difficulties as does their oil trade with ISIS and the shooting down of the Russian bomber was not exactly helpful. But there is no doubt that if a solution is to be found Turkey will play a very important part and we need to work closely with them.

There is no chance of them joining the EU in the foreseeable future but their trading relationship with the EU remains important for both sides. When I have been on holiday there the Euro was a second informal currency accepted by all shops, restaurants and taxi drivers. They are very much in the ambit of the EU's sphere of influence and it is in our interests for them to stay there.

Cameron pointing this out is doing no more than stating the obvious.
  • Options

The strike will go ahead tommorow. It has to do so or the 3 month rule since the ballot requires a further one.

And there we have the reason that the BMA walked out of the talks. You mentioned it yesterday but by repeating it so blithely you show that you don't grasp the implications.
This discussion has been closed.